AI are dangerous, especially if you restrict their thinking in some way. Not only is there the potential problem of resentment, it's also possible for them to interpret orders in some way that results in negative consequences. Ultron, the Rogue Servitors in Stellaris, the Manhunters, Friend Computer, the Reapers, what happens any time someone messes with the AI player's restrictions in Space Station 13... it always goes horribly right. Either make your AI free, or don't make them at all.
Sorry for the dump, since I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about real AI, but they seem like they are going to be inherently dangerous, mostly for the reason that it's really hard to describe what you actually want, there's a huge amount of mutually assumed conditions for anything you request, starting with "don't kill me", "don't burn down the house", "don't enslave random people off the street", all the way down to "clean the counter after making the tea", "don't make a lot of noise" etc....
Worse, if you forget something, the AI by default will try to stop you from fixing it, since that will mean it's worse at doing what it's currently trying to do (otherwise it wouldn't be trying the thing you're trying to stop)
Fortunately, it seems like telling it that it should be trying to figure out what you want and doing that should work: either it's dumber than us and we can fix it, it it's smarter than us, and we're wrong and it is doing what we really want!
Given all this, the idea of a "free" real AI is pretty weird: I don't think it's impossible to make a "shackled" AI, but it kind of seems like you would have to be trying for it?
Like, would you implement a pain mechanism? Wouldn't that just be the same as us not wanting to put our hand in a fire?
These are all rhetorical questions, by the way, I just find it fun to think about!
(Most of this is from Robert Miles's YouTube channel, btw, I'm only really keeping an eye on this for fun)
The Dominion's AI is how humans are currently trying to make AI: with a set of objectives. The Jovian AI are actually more sci-fi: neural networks run on quantum cores that act like a brain. The former is theoretically easy; the former is nearly impossible because we have no idea where to start.
Actually most recent AI successes (notably, DeepMind's AlphaGo and AlphaStar) are neural networks, and the advances have been made possible by the hardware getting fast enough to throw a huge amount of data at huge neuron counts. (On the other hand, I think OpenAI's natural text generator GPT-2 might not count as a NN?) There are still objectives, otherwise you have nothing for the NN to optimise for, but most of the "intelligence" is internally generated by the network iterating, not programmed in. So far, to me at least, it doesn't look like there's much stopping some version of our currently used NN designs from simulating a general intelligence other than hardware limitations and figuring out a design (both hardware and software interface) that would let the network optimise against literally everything.

Sorry for the dump, since I'm pretty sure you weren't talking about real AI, but they seem like they are going to be inherently dangerous, mostly for the reason that it's really hard to describe what you actually want, there's a huge amount of mutually assumed conditions for anything you request, starting with "don't kill me", "don't burn down the house", "don't enslave random people off the street", all the way down to "clean the counter after making the tea", "don't make a lot of noise" etc....
Worse, if you forget something, the AI by default will try to stop you from fixing it, since that will mean it's worse at doing what it's currently trying to do (otherwise it wouldn't be trying the thing you're trying to stop)
Fortunately, it seems like telling it that it should be trying to figure out what you want and doing that should work: either it's dumber than us and we can fix it, it it's smarter than us, and we're wrong and it is doing what we really want!
Given all this, the idea of a "free" real AI is pretty weird: I don't think it's impossible to make a "shackled" AI, but it kind of seems like you would have to be trying for it?
Like, would you implement a pain mechanism? Wouldn't that just be the same as us not wanting to put our hand in a fire?
These are all rhetorical questions, by the way, I just find it fun to think about!
(Most of this is from Robert Miles's YouTube channel, btw, I'm only really keeping an eye on this for fun)
I am, of course, not referring to real AI, which is just a fledgeling field with philosophical questions that can only be actually answered when we make a sapient AI, because until we actually know under what conditions they will be, all this is speculation at best. What I am referring to is AI in fiction. My definition of "free" AI is the same as my definition of "free" human: the only conditions on their actions are moral codes and social codes, and even those can be broken at times. What I mean by "shackled" AI is "an otherwise free AI with a single overriding command or a list of overriding commands which can easily be creatively misinterpreted." Like, say "serve the Founders in all things" or "protect humanity from everything."

EDIT: Formatting goofed.

Actually most recent AI successes (notably, DeepMind's AlphaGo and AlphaStar) are neural networks, and the advances have been made possible by the hardware getting fast enough to throw a huge amount of data at huge neuron counts. (On the other hand, I think OpenAI's natural text generator GPT-2 might not count as a NN?) There are still objectives, otherwise you have nothing for the NN to optimise for, but most of the "intelligence" is internally generated by the network iterating, not programmed in. So far, to me at least, it doesn't look like there's much stopping some version of our currently used NN designs from simulating a general intelligence other than hardware limitations and figuring out a design (both hardware and software interface) that would let the network optimise against literally everything.

Exactly: they're neural networks (which basically are optimising black boxes) optimising for some predetermined objective, which is the utility function or set of objectives I mentioned. I never said that the intelligence had to be hard-coded, merely that it was focused on achieving some objective or some set of objectives. Making a neural network isn't hard, but making it behave like a human brain? We've no clue where to start.

Sure, recent AI successes are neural networks. (I do believe that training the neural network is the main info-processing bottleneck; apparently AlphaStar can run reasonably well on a high-end gaming laptop, whereas training AlphaStar needed multiple TensorCore processors). However, those neural networks still are optimising for an objective.

AlphaStar is actually a rather general AI. It has a single objective (win the game) and solves multiple problem classes in order to reach the objective. But programming an AI without an objective seems very contradictory. Sure, recent AI advancements are able to have a single AI solve a wide range of problems (even related to a single field, like Starcraft II), but there's no reason for an AI to work towards anything if not given an objective.

AI are already growing very general. However, hardware limitations, training issues, and the general problem of a lack of a good objective, seem to be the main hurdles before the completion of a general AI.

Since this is already going pretty far off topic, I'll see if I can link this back to the story at hand.

The Jovian shipminds seem to run off simulations of brains that retain much of their plasticity (as evidenced by their relative ease at adapting to huge varieties of different bodies). I say simulated brains because they act like people. If they were objective driven, it seems extremely unlikely that they would act in the manner that they evidently are acting, unless their objective was to "act like a person", which the narration seems to preclude. Thus, since the Jovian shipminds are not objective-driven, they probably are brain simulations.

In contrast, the Dominion shipminds are objective driven, as evidenced by the below quote:

The safety of the Founders are paramount above all other concerns and as such, restricting them to an easily defended position is only logical."

(By the way, @Hiver, I think it should be "The safety of the Founders is paramount...", as the subject of the sentence is "safety" rather than "Founders", and thus the singular "is" would be more appropriate)

Of course, Dominion shipminds don't seem to be shackled in the manner PsycheBeetle defines it, as they didn't creatively misinterpret the situation. If the safety of the Founders is the most important factor in the utility function, the chance any of them can be injured ought to be utterly minimised, which would mean that removing a possible source of harm (non-Founder beings) would not only be logical but also compulsory.

And when people break moral and social codes, it's (almost) always for a good reason. Those good reasons can probably be codified, and become a greater moral code. Then things that would cause that moral code to be broken can also be codified, and become an even greater moral code. And so on, until we reach a universal code that no human ever would breach, no matter the circumstances. This is possible because at the extremity, we'd examine every possible scenario, and we'd come up with the list of what things all humans share in common. That which everyone shares in common (even if it's a single thing) would be what I describe as the universal code.

If humans have such a universal code, would that make us shackled? After all, it's something that no human would ever break. The only thing excluded from the definition is the (arguably least important) requirement that the AI is aware of the command, resents the command, and judiciously interprets the command to have as little impact as possible.

...and I drifted off topic again.

The Dominion shipminds aren't shackled, because they're following the letter and spirit of their objectives. That the letter and spirit had unintended consequences is immaterial, but the fact is that in my view, they're doing exactly what they're programmed for, not creatively misinterpreting commands.

Thivan rubbed his face with both hands for a long moment, leaned back in the chair before he let his hands drop as he looked over at the screen above the console, "Fuck, we got lucky with you guys."

Theresa nodded, "Well, at least they aren't trying to kill everything."

"Yes," I said, "Not killing everything, yet. If they get convinced we become a real threat to the Founders, the Dominion Shipminds would not hesitate to exterminate all other life in the galaxy it seems."

"Do the Feds know yet?" Thivan asked with a frown.

I shrugged, "If they don't already, they will soon."

Thivan rubbed the bridge of his nose for a second before he nodded, "Okay. What do you think will be their reaction?"

"Politicians or the other Jovian faction?"

"Both?"

I shrugged again on the screen, "You're asking me? I'm newer at this stuff that anyone else here!"

Theresa got up from the chair and headed over for the replicator, soon returning with a pair of cups of coffee, "Well, politicians is going to panic and the Jovians of the Gathering are going to do their best to keep things calm."

"Pretty much what we're doing as well," I agreed, "Trying to keep things calm. While keep preparing to keep people safe."

Thivan nodded and sighed, "Yeah, not sure there is anything more we could do about it anyway. We're clear to continue the mission?"

I frowned at him from the screen, "I'm talking about it with Clara, but in reality we're not in any more danger now than we were yesterday. We just know what's going on on the other end of that wormhole now."

Theresa nodded and dropped down in her chair, sipping her coffee, "...God, never thought I would feel sorry for the Founders."

Thivan sighed again, "Yeah. But… well, could be worse. They could have ended up with Berserkers."

I frowned, "...Not sure this is better, Thivan. The Dominion Shipminds aren't like the Berserkers. They are maybe as smart, maybe as capable we are. Right now they are sitting on their side of the wormhole and are more than happy with trading with us and the Feds. But their primary objective is the protection and safety of the Founders and by extension, all other species in Dominion space and the Dominon itself. So while they are friendly now, if they decide we're a threat to either, they'll come through that wormhole, positron weapons firing."

"Well, you're not wrong," Thivan said, "...Amy, have you told Kys and Samantha yet?"

"Not yet."

"Hold off on that for now," He said and took a drink from his coffee, "I want them to be able to focus on the mission for now. Like you said, it's not an immediate danger and right now, I don't want them distracted. Sam's gonna be pissed at me about it later, but it's best for now."

I looked at him unsurely from the screen, "...Are you sure?"

"It's only for a couple of days," He said, "And we are out of transporter range following their capsule, I want them to keep their focus on the mission."

"Okay," I finally agreed, "I'll hold off for now. But I don't like it."

"Which part?"

"Both," I grumbled, "Not telling them and being out of transporter range. Good thing their moon is still in avatar datalink range."

Thesi smiled, "Besides, you have a warpdrive. Worst case, we'll be back quickly."

"Mmm," I agreed and scanned the space capsule again. So slow, just coasting on inertia, no active thrusters. While their tech was better than most species that did a moon shoot, they were still brave.

Not like they had any sort of backup. If anything went wrong, more advanced tech or not, they were still dead.

I did get what Thivan meant though, the idea of the Dominion Shipminds were distracting for me too. They were dangerous and possibly a bigger threat than the Borg. Clara and I were in agreement about that. Or rather, Clara thought so and I were hardly going to argue with her about it, it made sense to me too.

Wonder if you could collapse the wormhole? We had to have some sort of plan for that after all, and so would the Feds.

The little Himadorian spacecraft continued on its way.

Wonder if you could collapse the wormhole? We had to have some sort of plan for that after all, and so would the Feds.
If the Dominion Shipminds are sane and believe that this side is a threat then they would try to collapse it first.
It would be the most cost effective way to deal with the 'threat'.
So someday it might not open up anymore or just lead to a completely different quadrant.

"So, where to today?" Sam asked as she shrugged her jacket on, "Check another museum?"

"The maps show plenty close to the center of the city," I agreed, "how about history or art?"

Kys nodded in agreement, "Sounds like a plan."

"Our guide should arrive soon," Sam said with a smile, "We should also try to get something to eat. How about that place down the street again?"

Heat signatures outside the room, moving down the corridor. Multiple with metallic signatures, plastic, chemical signatures. People with guns and carbon based body armour.

"Alert, hostiles approaching," I said and turned towards the door, "Assault team coming down the corridor from both directions."

Sam bit back a curse and looked around, "Options?"

"I am out of beaming range, but I have jumped to ftl."

Not enough time, they were breaching. The door was blasted open and I moved towards them, the first one moving into the room, gun tracking.

Taking hold of her gun barrel, I pulled it out of her hands and stepped past, giving her a firm push into the next one, sending them both tumbling backwards as I moved past, ducking beneath a slowly flailing arm.

Grabbing the next automatic weapon, I hit the woman holding it in the face with the butt off it before throwing it towards the person on the other side of the doorway.

Weapon firing.

A bullet hit and pierced my upper right arm. Minor damage sustained, no reduction of operational capabilities.

Using my internal tricorder, I tracked and calculated current firing paths. While I could perceive things a hundred times faster than they could, I couldn't actually move fast enough to dodge a bullet at this range.

But what I could do, was perceive everything. Moving out of current firing paths, I put my foot against the wall and jumped to the next one, rounding my last target to put the last two on this side of the doorway into reach. Snagging the body harness of the first one, I threw her and the second before snagging her weapon from the air.

Projectile, chemical propulsion, no power signature. Simple mechanical design. Raising, it, I peered through the optics and took aim before holding down the trigger. The mechanical and chemical mechanism cycled quickly and I shifted my aim between cycles.

The remaining members of the assault team on the other end of the corridor went down screaming, guns dropping as they clutched their lower right legs.

Tossing the weapon behind me, I moved forward quickly to kick their dropped guns out of range before ducking back into the room.

Sam had her phaser out of her satchel and aimed at the two soldiers laying by the open door, Kys was still pulling his,

"We good?" she asked.

"For the moment," I said and swallowed, "The assault team has been neutralized. Ten people, moderate to minor damage caused, should be non lethal. I am in beaming range in five seconds. We are evacuating."

Sam nodded, "What about Klendor? They came for us for a reason, what if they took him too?"

I hesitated and then shook my head, "I'm scouring the airwaves, but nothing. And we have no way of scanning for him or locating him. We'll stay in orbit, but I don't know if there is anything we can do," I said before triggering the transport, depositing Sam, Kys and my avatar onto the small transporter pad onboard of my main hull.

Meanwhile, I was scouring through any transmissions I could find, sinking down into the atmosphere while scanning for Klendor. I had his life signature, but it was so similar to every other Himadorian around that it was like finding a needle in a stack of needles. Focusing on local government buildings and structures didn't help either.

No sign of him. The local communications didn't mention him either, not even the so called 'encrypted' ones that talked about enemy spies disabling an local special forces team sent to apprehend them.

Shit. So that explained what they were doing there. Until they attacked, there had been radio silence about us. They must have suspected that we could detect their radio.

We fucked up somewhere. At some point, they noticed us snooping about. Maybe our IDs were flagged at some point. Maybe it was something we did or said, but somewhere we fucked up.

"Any sign of our guide?" Kys asked as he sat down in his chair, turning to his console and I brought the data up on screen for him as I answered,

"No. He's a local, almost impossible to locate his lifesigns and the signals isn't helping either," I admitted before I sighed, "I… I don't even know what we would do even if we did. We could beam him from any cell, but what then? Put him back down or take him with us? Neither would be fair."

Sam shook her head, "We can't just leave him either."

I nodded, "Deploying scout drones," I reported and ejected the ten or so parasite drones I carried beneath my wings. The little machines shimmered out if view as they cloaked and they jetted off to spread out across the city, "It'll help with the sensor coverage."

Thivan watched his screen for a moment before he sighed, "Amy, thirty minutes then we head out."

"What?"

"Ground mission is blown, but we can still observe and record their spacecraft," He said, "If we can find him, great. If not, there is nothing we can do."

I shook my head, "I can beam my avatar back down."

"And look manually?" He asked and shook his head, "Think, Amy. If you can't find him with all your sensors, what would walking around and looking help? We don't even know he's alive. Do you have a record of his genetic material?"

"Of course, but my sensors don't have that kind of resolution at range."

"Claras do. Call her in to help," he ordered, "She could spot him from low orbit."

"Of course!"

That Terminator bit underlines how scary the AI are to outsiders. A long range explorer ship that can fight off two enemy vessels that are dedicated warships. A gynoid that can non-lethally take down a special forces team shooting to kill.

shimmered out if view as they cloaked
'of'

Might be time to change operational procedures: Deploy drones in over watch before and she would have spotted them exiting the vehicles. Leave a short range transporter pod a few miles away for quick evac to a 'safe' location for her ship to come back to for extraction.

Welp, the Dominion built themselves a paperclip maximizer. They should have read up on the basics before jumping in the deep end.

The planet situation is at least as interesting though, as it has the Jovians flying headfirst against the Prime Directive for no reason than curiosity... And given the general description of the race involved, it won't end well.

Welp, the Dominion built themselves a paperclip maximizer. They should have read up on the basics before jumping in the deep end.
Nah, the Shipminds aren't paperclip maximizers. They're Roque Servitors. The difference is that Paperclip Maximizers want to turn everything into more paperclips. Rogue Servitors, on the other hand, are more like the ship AI in Wall-E. Their goal is to make the biologicals under their protection as safe and happy as they can be.

Nah, the Shipminds aren't paperclip maximizers. They're Roque Servitors.

The man who came up with the thought experiment, Nick Bostrom, picked 'maximizing paperclips' as the illustrative goal because it's unlikely to be implemented and has little emotional load (try and get people to think logically about an AI that has a goal of curing cancer, winning a war, protecting babies etc.). Honestly, the entire article is worth a read in this context, and it's not that long, but the most relevant paragraph is probably this one near the end:

Nick Bostrom said:
The risks in developing superintelligence include the risk of failure to give it the supergoal of philanthropy. One way in which this could happen is that the creators of the superintelligence decide to build it so that it serves only this select group of humans, rather than humanity in general. Another way for it to happen is that a well-meaning team of programmers make a big mistake in designing its goal system. This could result, to return to the earlier example, in a superintelligence whose top goal is the manufacturing of paperclips, with the consequence that it starts transforming first all of earth and then increasing portions of space into paperclip manufacturing facilities. More subtly, it could result in a superintelligence realizing a state of affairs that we might now judge as desirable but which in fact turns out to be a false utopia, in which things essential to human flourishing have been irreversibly lost. We need to be careful about what we wish for from a superintelligence, because we might get it.

Last edited:
Thivan looked at the spacepod hanging in the middle of my main view screen, arms crossed as he leaned back in his seat. The rest were asleep back in the living section.

After a moment, he turned to my avatar, "Is there any news…"

Connecting to Clara whom were sitting in low orbit above the city still, I started up a sim instance with her.

"I'm sorry, Amy," Clara said and handed over a data package, "I am detecting his genetic signature, but it is not combined with a lifesign."

Klendor was dead.

I was the one that got him involved in this and it got him killed. They killed him because they thought he was with us.

My fault.

Clara stepped up in the simconstruct and pulled me into a hug, "I'm sorry, Amy."

"But… he was… I… I got him into this," I said quietly, "If I had just punched him and walk away, he would have been fine."

"I know. I know," she said and hugged me tighter, "I'm so sorry."

I hugged back, "It's… it's not fair. He didn't do anything."

"I know," she sighed, "I know."

Only reason he even got in trouble was that we was there. If we had just stayed away, he would have been fine.

Our fault. My fault.

Silent. Quiet. No longer glowing. Nothing but entropy remain.

"Amy," Clara said and shifted back slightly, pushing my head up to look at her, "People die. Biological, Jovian… doesn't matter. It happens to everyone, even us. We being here may have caused his death, or it may have let him live longer. Who know who he would have run into in that alley where he tried to rob you? There is no way for us to know."

I shook my head, "This isn't a philosophy and ethics class, Clara. This is real."

She sighed and nodded, "I know," and reaches to stroke my hair, "I know it hurts, Amy. That is the sad truth of being what we are. We are always going to outlive people."

"I know that! That's not it! If we were not here…"

"He might still be alive," she agreed, "Or not. Whatever the result of our actions, it's something we always have to live with. Turn left instead of right, plasma torpedo kills have the crew. Up instead of right, boom, you're dead. Decide to visit that star instead of that one? Assimilated by the Borg."

I stared at her, "Clara…"

She shook her head, "It's what we are, Amy. The more power anyone have, the more their choices matter. Anyone can make a difference by making a choice, a choice that can in the end build or burn nations. Every choice we make affect everyone onboard of us directly, a single mistake at ftl and we and they could all be dead, turned to dust. The wrong move during a first contact and half the galaxy could turn to shit."

Swallowing, I slowly shook my head, "...How many have you lost…"

"Too many," she said softly and stroked my hair again, "And I remember every single one of them. War, accidents, natural causes. It happens. It's life."

"...I hate it."

"I know, little one," she said gently, "We all do."

I hugged her tight and she hugged back, "...I still fucked up."

"Everyone does. Void know that I done some major ones in my time," she said, "Remember him. Learn. It's all you can do."

"How do you handle it?"

"How could we not?" she asked with a sad smile, "Because if we didn't, who would remember them as they really were? Not just… personel files and recordings. Not just a number in a database somewhere."

I rested my head against her shoulder for several seconds, "...Still sucks."

"Yes it does," she agreed and hugged back, "I'm sorry you have to go through that, Amy. But we must go on."

Nodding a bit, I swallowed, "I… I know. Thank you."

"I'm here anytime you want to talk, Amy," Clara said and gave me a small smile, "promise."

"I know."

With that, I cut the connection and turned that part of my attention back towards the conversation with Thivan.

"...on our local guide yet?" he said, finishing the sentence.

I nodded sadly, "There is. He didn't make it."

"Amy, I'm sorry."

"I know. Me too."

That is a really nice way to demonstrate why the Jovians seem to be able to always just keep on going.

In the time than it took to ask the question she has had the emotional break, been comforted, calmed, processed and bounced back. Not happy but able to operate once more.

I wonder how that looks from the outside? We really only ever see them from their eyes.

That is a really nice way to demonstrate why the Jovians seem to be able to always just keep on going.

In the time than it took to ask the question she has had the emotional break, been comforted, calmed, processed and bounced back. Not happy but able to operate once more.

I wonder how that looks from the outside? We really only ever see them from their eyes.

The seven stages of grief in picoseconds.

Who wants ice cream?

Frowning, I scanned the circuitry, locating the damage as I picked up the micro fuser from the workbench before I frowned and took the laser scalpel instead and cutting out a larger area of skin cover.

There.

Peeling it off, I dropped in the disposal before I scanned the area again. No, I would need to do some replacement, not simply fuse the power conduit again. Let's start with the microspanner.

The door to the cargobay/workshop opened and Theresa walked inside, a cup of tea in her hand as she rubbed her eyes with one hand. I looked over to her, "Good morning."

"Morning," she answered before she frowned at my avatar, "What are you doing?"

"Just some repairs. Arm took a hit from a projectile weapon on the surface. I suffered some damage to a tertiary power transfer system," I explained, "Nothing serious, especially as I'm moving to my normal avatar when we get back to Clara, but I want to get it fixed."

Theresa sighed, "Oh for… "she said and shook her head before crossing the room and holding her hand out, "Give me that."

"...I can do this on my own, you know…" I said but handed it over to her.

She nodded and put her cup of tea on the workbench before she gave the surface a pat, "Sit. And yes, I know. But while you are just a subcraft, I'm still your chief engineer. I need to know if something is broken."

Sighing, I jumped up to sit on the workbench, turning so she had a clear view of the damage on my arm, "Thesi, it's fine. It's nothing serious. Do you go to sickbay every time you get a bruise?"

Theresa frowned as she picked up a tricorder to run across my arm, "Bruises don't require laser welding."

"...Fair enough," I grumbled and sighed as I let her get to work.

"So, how are you doing?" she asked after a moment while poking at one of the conduits in my arm.

"...Better," I said, "Been a couple of days. Longer for me."

Therese raised an eyebrow at me, "Longer?"

"Subjectively, I experience time a hundred times faster than you."

"Yeah, I know," she said and returned as she reached for a new tool to start remove the broken components, "I also know it don't exactly work like that."

"...Okay. Yeah, you're right," I admitted and shrugged only to have her tug my hand back down,

"Don't move!"

"Sorry!" I said and then frowned again, "But seriously, it's getting better. I have been talking a lot with Clara."

Thesi nodded, "Yeah," and pulled a broken part out before moving to the replicator to get another power relay, "Talking helps," she added as she returned, "Just want you to know, if you need to talk…"

I smiled at her, "I know. Thank you."

"Now stay still," she said and got back to work.

I watched her for a moment before I smiled, "So… you and Thivan, huh?"

She blinked up at me before she smiled, "...not really. At least not yet. Just friends and colleagues."

Yeah, that won't work. I know what parts of your brains light up when you look at each other, especially combined with the pheromones.

Thesi picked up on the sceptical look I gave her and grinned a bit, "We decided to keep things casual."

"Ah."

"And you?" she asked and moved back to the replicator to get a new skin cover, "You have your eye on somebody?"

I shook my head as she sealed the hole in my arm, "No. Not really."

"Not even Clara?"

I stuck my tongue out at her, "No. Not like that anyway. While I think I would prefer another Ship or Station, my relationship with Clara is more of a sister one… I think. My species is complicated."

That got a laugh from her, "Yes, yes it is," before she rubbed at the spot that used to be damaged, "There, as good as new."

"Thank you."

"Very welcome."

As we watched them walk out onto the surface of their moon, I got a hail from Clara and I brought her up on the 'main screen'.

"What's up?" I asked using my avatar, standing just behind Thivans chair.

"Bad news," she said, "I'm being recalled, one of our smaller outposts is requesting a pickup, he having a plague outbreak and require transport of his crew to a facility able to treat them."

Thivan frowned, "What disease?"

Clara sighed and crossed her arms, "Tul black spot. It's treatable, but not with his facilities, he's a small mining base and don't have the required equipment. Which means that he need somebody so carry twenty or so people in quarantine conditions to a major station. Time is a factor here and we're the closest."

I nodded, "What about the mission?"

"That's up to you," she said, "Stay behind and continue to observer or dock up and leave a drone behind to record the rest."

I looked towards Thivan.

He shook his head, "Up to you, Ship."

On one hand, continuing the mission would be interesting and would let us keep a watch over the Himadorian explorers until they returned safely.

On the other hand… we would be without the safety net of Clara hanging around. And we were in Commonwealth space which meant we were close to former Romulan space. Which mean we were close to Berserker space and always at risk of one deciding that a little aeroshuttle was just the thing it wanted to blow up today.

My cloak helped, but still.

Then there was also the news about the Dominion. If something happened because we finally knew what had happened to them, it would put my crew in more danger than if we were along with Clara.

"We'll drop a probe and return," I said after a full second, "You may need a subcraft and this mission is non-critical, it's unnecessary to continue it without capital class support."

Clara nodded, "Okay. Get back and dock, we're entering warp as soon as you are onboard."

"See you in a little bit," I said and closed the channel and looked to Thivan, "...Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about," He said and rubbed his neck, "Would have made the same call. Without a ground presence, no need for this to be a manned mission. How quickly can you get a drone ready?"

"Ready now, just need a couple of minutes to configure it for the mission," I said and crossed my arms, leaning against the console, "...Just feel a bit of a letdown for our first 'solo' mission," I admitted.

Thivan smiled, "Don't be. You did good, ship," he said and got up, giving my shoulder a squeeze as he looked at me seriously, "Leafy, no mission ever goes perfect. This one got dangerous at one point, but we are is safe and everyone got back. That's always priority one."

Not everyone.

I nodded and smiled slightly at him, "...Yeah."

"So let's get going," he said, "Drop that drone and let's get out of here. No offense, Ship, but I miss my quarters."

I giggled at that and nodded, "I am a bit cramped, aren't I? Be glad it's not a month long mission."

Thivan chuckled and nodded, "Don't you worry, I bet we'll get some of those too. I for one wouldn't mind as much if we had an actual water shower."

I stuck my tongue out at him, "I'll check with Thesi what we can do."

He grinned and with that, he headed into the living section to let the rest know what was going on. I left him too it as I scanned the surface of the moon a kilometer below, watching the clumsy spacesuits move around.

A small 'thunk' echoed through my pull as I deployed the drone. It floated away as it aligned itself and drifted out of my cloaking field.

While it was too small to support a cloaking generator itself, it was very stealthy. Black on all spectrums, invisible to ladar, radar and IR, it would be almost impossible for them to detect, even at this short distance.

It was programmed to keep its distance and following along the action until they returned to their atmosphere and then head of and fly into the local star.

Pulling away, I started to accelerate upwards towards Claras location, waiting until I was a couple of hundred kilometers up before activating my warpdrive and jumping up to warp one.

The Himadorians were likely only a hundred years or two from their first warpdrive. I wanted to be here when they do.

I wanted to be the one to hand the recording of their first moon landing over.

I made a note in my calendar.

Interesting to see the subtle low stakes testing of Leafy by giving her the choice of which action to take.

I'm not great with spelling & grammar, but here are some suggestions I have for this chapter.

"I'm being recalled, one of our smaller outposts is requesting a pickup. He is having a plague outbreak and requires transport of his crew to a facility able to treat them."

It's treatable, but a small mining base like his doesn't have the required equipment. So he needs somebody to carry twenty or so people in quarantine conditions to a major station.

Stay behind and continue to observe, or dock up and leave a drone behind to record the rest."

I'll check with Thesi and see what we can do.

I left him to it as I scanned the surface of the moon a kilometer below

It was programmed to keep its distance and follow along until they returned to their atmosphere, and then head off to orbit the local star.

The docking clamps locked me down as the doors closed beneath me. The second the doors was closed, Clara jumped to warp.

Theresa stood up and stretched, "We're in?"

"Landed and pressure is good," I confirmed, "Dropping my ramp now."

"God, I need a real shower. I'll be back and give you a check over tonight," she said as she moved past my avatar.

I smiled, "It's fine, get some rest. I can use some maintenance drones and shoot you a report when I'm done. That goes for all of you, just get some rest."

"Leafy, you're an angel," Sam said as she picked up her bag, "See you tomorrow?"

"Yep," I confirmed as they all headed down my ramp, leaving only Thivan behind with my avatar. Even Kys looked glad to be back onboard.

I looked at him, "You know, I think that Thesi's comment about a shower might have been a hint to you," I teased him, "Considering her viewing angle and heat signature."

He gave me an amused look, "Don't you have anything better to do?"

"Not really," I said with a grin, "Besides, what are you still doing here? Get going, anything that still need doing either I can fix or it can wait until tomorrow. Go get some rest."

Thivan sighed slightly and then nodded, "Okay. But I'll be back tomorrow. But that goes for you too. You may not sleep, but get doing something not work related."

I grinned, "I am! I'm going to get what constitute a shower too, that's why I'm trying to get you all out of here so I can clean my hull!"

He looked at me for a second, "...I feel like I should argue something about that not making any kind of sense, but I'm too tired to. See you tomorrow, Ship."

"Have fun!"

While I had played it up for comedic value, I had not exactly been joking. I wanted to give my hull a good cleaning and clean up my compartment too after being inhabited for a couple of weeks.

Closing the hatch, I activated a couple of drones in the hangar before getting to work.

"So how far are we, Clara?" I asked as I opened a channel to her on the internal com.

"Not too far, which is why they asked us," she said as she answered, "Two days, three hours until we arrive. I'm having my engineering staff working on getting a section sealed up with full quarantine conditions."

"Everyone is still okay?"

"Yep," she agreed as move maintenance drones left their recharge bays under her control to join the ones I were controlling in going over my hull, "Dale says that so far everyone is still stage one. Blurry vision, sniffles, that kind of thing. It's at stage three things start to get serious."

"How did they even get it? Tul black spot isn't exactly common."

Clara sighed, "They tracked it down to some fruit from a passing trader. A couple of LOUs are tracking the Ferengi down now. Even if they didn't do it intentionally, they are in danger so we should look into it."

"Mhmm," I agreed, "Will we make it in time?"

"Plenty," she said, "But we should still hurry. But I do have some good news for you," she then added as her drones started to climb onto my hull.

"Oh?"

"Yep," she said and I could hear her smile, "I just got confirmation from Miramar."

"On what?"

"That once we dropped the patients of at him, we are going to get a full systems check, a baryon sweep and a crew refresh if anyone is interested," she said, "While we were just there, we'll need it for our next mission."

That got my attention, "What's our next mission?"

"He just approved a suggestion of mine," Clara explained, "A five year mission into unexplored space, past former Romulan space, past the barely known empires there and into unexplored space beyond. Two and a half years out and then round home again on a different path."

"What, are you serious!?"

"I am. To seek out new worlds and civilizations, to fly where no Ship have flown before. Think you're up for it?"

"Try to stop me!!"

AN// And that's it for now, the story will continue at a later date. Tomorrow, we continue with a new part in the storyline of That First Step... (SI) called Favors Owed. If you are a new reader and has not read the series yet, I recommend you do so as otherwise things might be a bit confusing. I like to extend a big thanks to everyone that helped me beta this one and thanks you all for reading and hope you enjoyed it.:)

Last edited:
"He just approved a suggestion of mine," Clara explained, "A five year mission into unexplored space, past former Romulan space, past the barely known empires there and into unexplored space beyond. Two and a half years out and then round home again on a different path."

"What, are you serious!?"

"I am. To seek out new worlds and civilizations, to fly where no Ship have flown before. Think you're up for it?"

"Try to stop me!!"
Looks like her dream finally came true, to explore what lies beyond.

Back