Remember when the Star Wars Expanded universe was a just bookshelf at the back of Crown Books , and maybe some RPG handbooks, essential guides, comics, and videogames?

I remember.

I remember.

Remember when if you wanted to know anything about a character you had to go to your local book store and pay physical money for a big phone book of made up creatures? Remember when they referenced books you've never even heard of, and they all sounded terrible? Remember when you stumbled over a graphic novel like Dark Empire or The Last Command or Tales of the Jedi, and it was some of the wildest shit you'd ever seen?

Remember when Star Wars was anything you wanted it to be?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Remember when if you wanted to know anything about a character you had to go to your local book store and pay physical money for a big phone book of made up creatures? Remember when they referenced books you've never even heard of, and they all sounded terrible? Remember when you stumbled over a graphic novel like Dark Empire or The Last Command or Tales of the Jedi, and it was some of the wildest shit you'd ever seen?

Remember when Star Wars was anything you wanted it to be?

Pepperidge Farm remembers

One of my fondest memories from childhood was slowly collecting all of the first run of essential guides. The floppy ones that were printed on plane white non-gloss paper. I remember I read every last one of them cover to cover.

And also, incidentally, most of them were way more fun than the glossy super slick versions that have come since.

Ms. Marvel actually did fine with the specific demographic, essentially YA girls, they were targeting. The issue is, that's not the demographic that fueled the MCU.

Absolutely.

I think there's a disconnect somewhere along the line from executives to audience.

Something like Ms. Marvel did fine with the target demographic, YA girls. And that's cool! Should be considered "Mission Accomplished"... BUT, then all of a sudden it becomes "But why was viewership so low? Must be franchise fatigue, right?" No. You just made a very targeted work that appealed to a niche demographic.

If you're going to make that, it's awesome, but also don't get mad when... pretty much only the niche demographic is interested in it. It's ok to not always have record breaking smash hit things when you... aren't making it appealing for a larger demographic.

I've seen alot of articles now about The Marvels claiming "franchise fatigue". NO! I'm fatigued at Marvel for shoving movies and shows at me that I don't care about, while taking their sweet time in producing anything I do want to see.

Just because I don't really care to see The Marvels or Echo or Eternals or She-Hulk doesn't mean i'm not incredibly excited for X-Men, Deadpool, Blade, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, etc. X-Men especially, I don't know if there's "time" but I would love to see them do the X-Men as an Phase 1 Avengers type thing... do some more individual movies first and build up to X-Men proper.

I certainly don't feel racist about it. I've just plane checked out.

On some level, it's kinda comforting, the idea that franchises can still fall out of fashion, even if they've got the world's largest media machine behind them.

Shame about all the shitheads trying to make a culture war thing.

I dug Ms. Marvel. The direction and energy to it reminded me of going to see Scott Pilgrim back in the day. I haven't seen most of the recent Marvel stuff, but that's not really franchise fatigue per se, I just got a new computer after my last one being over ten years old and my leisure time this year has gone to the backlog of RPGs I'd built up in that time. Only so many hours in the day, after all. >.<

Hell, I've barely watched any anime in the last six-ish months either, and I generally watch way more anime than I do Marvel.

I dug Ms. Marvel. The direction and energy to it reminded me of going to see Scott Pilgrim back in the day. I haven't seen most of the recent Marvel stuff, but that's not really franchise fatigue per se, I just got a new computer after my last one being over ten years old and my leisure time this year has gone to the backlog of RPGs I'd built up in that time. Only so many hours in the day, after all. >.<

Hell, I've barely watched any anime in the last six-ish months either, and I generally watch way more anime than I do Marvel.

Entertainment has become insanely, unbelievably, cheap. And there's basically am inexhaustible backlog of the stuff.

My wife and I just saw it after binging Ms Marvel earlier this week. We both really enjoyed it. It's not a big, bombastic Endgame but it's fun, good energy and the kitten scene left us both in stitches.

I bought a ticket to go see this next week. Gonna be my first movie in theaters since before COVID, but it looks like I'll have plenty of space in the theater. (My COViD booster and flu shot, ironically, are scheduled for the next day.)

I watched The Marvels on Sunday, I thought it was really bad. I don't put that on any of the performers, or even any of the writers, I think as a whole the team was given a mandate that was not filmable. Too many movies in that movie for a tight 90.

Just saw. Liked Kahn, respected the teaser, laughed head off at the evacuation.

Also recall recent xitter post claiming this is painfully "woke" compared to the recent Netflix series Blue Eye Samurai (also recommended, if solidly R-rated). Will now confirm the poster never saw either.

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday, I had a lot of fun! Ms. Marvel of course brought a lot of energy, but generally overall the movie made Carol an interesting character as well. Her arc in the first movie was good in theory, but it wasn't really clear what her personality really was. Here however, you really get a sense of who she is as a character, which is helped by the fact that her character is basically tied into how her two co-leads and the antagonist perceive her.

Was it the best Marvel movie? No. It has some flaws (I am mostly disappointed in how the dramatic confrontation between her and Monica was resolved really quick), but they were not so egregious it made the movie bad. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The show stealing sequence is definitely the Bollywood planet, was incredibly hilarious.

Last edited:
Okay, I just saw it. All the seats around me were empty when I bought the ticket last week, but I still wound up with a bunch of chatty people in the row right in front of me on the day of. *sigh*

Movie was pretty fun, typical quality for Marvel. I think it fell short of its potential: it definitely felt like it could have had a stronger emotional punch than it did. I wonder how many rewrites, re-shoots and re-edits there were, because it feels like there were some. But it was still overall perfectly fine, and doesn't deserve the poor showing at the box office that it's had. Was the marketing just bad? That last trailer wasn't great. This is worth seeing if you usually see Marvel movies.

There's a mid-credits scene, but no post-credits scene. I waited through the credits expecting one and was disappointed.

There were a full twenty-five minutes of trailers and theater ads before the movie. The movie's not even two hours long, so it was at least a quarter the length of the movie. And some of the trailers that they decided to include were odd choices. Aquaman, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire and The Fall Guy make sense as action, scifi and/or superhero movies, but Disney's Wish, The Color Purple and some sort of Mean Girls musical? WTF? Were they just like "it's a movie about girls, put trailers for other movies about girls in front of it"?

The fight scene early in the film where all three are chaotically switching between three different locations and three different fights was great. I'm disappointed that the clips of it on YouTube are only the first minute, because I want to watch it again.

The "black girl magic" line from the last trailer makes no more sense in context. Was Samuel L. Jackson just ad-libbing? It doesn't seem like a line funny enough to be worth putting in a trailer.

With all the talk of "Planet Bollywood" I was expecting a show-stopping dance number like Ms. Marvel did at her brother's wedding, but there's barely even a minute of singing. Is this something that got cut down in the edit because some executive thought audiences wouldn't like it? Doesn't feel worth doing the joke about a musical planet if you're not going to have a proper musical number.

This movie didn't really diminish the "Monica has two mommies" feel that we got from Carol and Maria in Captain Marvel. Monica's got some real "daddy went out for smokes and never came back" energy towards Carol. I'm all for it.

thedirect.com

Ms. Marvel Star Explains How the MCU Can Reach Endgame-Level Hype Again (Exclusive)

The world doesn't see to be as excited for the MCU as they once were—how can Marvel Studios change that?
By contrast:
www.ign.com

Disney CEO Thinks The Marvels Is Underperforming Because There Weren't Enough Executives - IGN

Disney CEO Bob Iger thinks he knows one of the reasons the MCU's latest, The Marvels, has been disappointing at the box office: not enough executives on the set.

Just the worst :facepalm:

By contrast:
www.ign.com

Disney CEO Thinks The Marvels Is Underperforming Because There Weren't Enough Executives - IGN

Disney CEO Bob Iger thinks he knows one of the reasons the MCU's latest, The Marvels, has been disappointing at the box office: not enough executives on the set.

Just the worst :facepalm:

Somehow executives milling around a set after everything is meant to be locked would make the movie better!

The reality is that Marvel movies are done. It's not cool anymore to watch this stuff, the normies are over it, they've got a few big budget sequels (Deadpool 3 for example) left in them before its completely done. They had a good run.

variety.com

‘The Marvels’ Ends Box Office Run as Lowest-Grossing MCU Movie in History

'The Marvels' will end its run as the lowest-grossing MCU movie of all time.
After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disney apparently doesn't expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, "With 'The Marvels' box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title."

The film isn't leaving theaters just yet, and the $220 million-plus budgeted tentpole is expected to play through New Year's. However, this memo signals that it's not expected to generate notable coinage during the rest of December. Over the weekend, "The Marvels" tumbled to 11th place on box office charts with just $2.4 million in its fourth outing.

... Box office revenues won't top 2008's "The Incredible Hulk" ($264 million, not adjusted for inflation), which previously stood as the lowest-grossing entry.

Yeah, I liked the movie, but I fully expected it to not do well. This felt like a up-jumped Disney Channel film. Something about the pacing or the dialogue screamed "This was supposed to be on Disney +".

Back