The Maple Seed Flies - Auto Gyro Design Quest

2.6 Nice Things Happen to Good People
CW: Alcohol, use of outdated language around sexuality, hints of suicidal thoughts.

"I don't understand."

You're safely ensconced in your office, away from the noise of a working factory. Even though you've sent your team home for the day, the rest of Mr. Asano's business would still be in full swing until nightfall. That was too much for you to deal with right now; you needed space to yourself.

And a drink, you'd thought. So you'd found one. The moment the door was latched shut, you'd slumped bodily into your little chair and poured yourself a large glass of brandy. Then a second, which went much the same way as the first. You were midway through pouring a third when Tomomi touched the back of your hand.

So you poured one for them as well.

"What don't you understand?" Tomomi asks, looking at you across the rim of their glass.

"I don't understand what any of this means."

"Why does it have to mean anything?" They shrug, a subtle motion of disregard. "Helena, it's nobody's business who you screw except yours. And any partners you have, obviously."

"Tomomi, there are expectations for someone of my position! If the court found out I was one of these, these…" What was the horrible word that Tomomi had levelled at you... "Tribades, it could spell disaster. Not just for me, but for my family as well."

"I can assure you that the royal family of Akitsukini-"

"No!" Your interruption comes out far louder than you intend. A guilty blush climbs your cheeks as you continue in Akitsukini with a softer tone. "No. I mean the Hesperian court."

"Hesperia is very far away. How many Europans have you met since you've been here?"

You start to count on your fingers and run out before even reaching a hand's worth.

"What's your point?"

"My point, Helena, is that you're worrying over nothing. Someone here would have to recognise you, notice you're… experimenting, and then report it from the other side of the world. It would take an absurd coincidence for the first to even happen, let alone the rest."

You take a long, slow swig from your glass, letting the alcohol burn your tongue before the fire hits your throat. Tomomi is right; Hesperia is so very, very far away. When in Tiberia...

No! No, you couldn't possibly consider these wicked thoughts. Your duty is to marry a man and continue the Cierva line, whatever else you may think of it. That's the expectation you've lived under your entire life. The fact that you've barely any interest in either men or the family bloodline is immaterial. The fact that few men want a wife who prefers grease on their fingers to a more socially acceptable form of employment is even more so.

"Helena, this is clearly troubling you."

"Troubling me? Of course it's troubling me! I am-"
you search for the words and find your grasp of Akitsukini lacking. "I am awash in a sea of consternation, and I can see neither shore nor ship."

"Then it's fortunate that you have been offered a raft."

"A raft of splintered planks and jagged metal."

Tomomi makes an undignified snort at that. "An aircraft designer and a poet. Truly, you are a woman of many talents."

"I was forced to take lessons when I was a girl. I scarcely intend to relive those memories."
The only thing your tutors had managed was to ensure you'd be a dramatic drunk rather than an incoherent one. "Tomomi, what do I do?"

"We're back to asking that again? You do whatever feels natural to you. If that means you tuck yourself away in here, then I won't take issue with it,"
they give the rapidly emptying bottle a stern glare, "So long as it doesn't become damaging. But I think you'll be happier if you go out occasionally. Maybe with your sweet doctor friend?"

The look they give you is unwavering. You can't help but stare at your feet in shame.

"You have no idea how much that thought terrifies me," you mumble despondently.

"Who wouldn't be in your position? As far as I can tell, you haven't even made any friends here yet."

"I've been working; the autogyros have kept me very busy-"

"You geniuses are always busy. It means you get to avoid people. Perhaps you ought to treat yourself a little more kindly."

"Maybe."
You pause, looking down at the dregs of your drink. "Tomomi?"

"Yes, Helena?"

"Are you my friend?"

They laugh, a dry little chuckle that feels rough on your ears. It's a marked change from the gentle sounds that you've heard from them so far. It sounds more real.

"Our working relationship makes that complicated. But yes, if you like, I am your friend."

"Thank you."
You finish quietly.

- - - -

Lying awake later that night, you stare at the rough ceiling of your small apartment. The rest of the day had been a wash; between the drinking and the feelings, you hadn't had any energy left. But it scarcely mattered. Construction had started in earnest on the prototype of the C.6; there was little you could do but wait. There was barely even a point in you going in most days, other than occasional troubleshooting. With everyone working so hard, you can't imagine that you'd do any more than get in the way.

Unfortunately, you now have something else to occupy your time. Tomomi's words are an insidious worm of discontent, winding its way through your thoughts. You've spent almost thirty years of your life quietly awaiting the day you would marry, but now this stranger from a strange land is tempting you with an alternative.

It seems too good to be true. It seems unreal. It's terrifying to contemplate.

You twist in your sheets, grimacing. Sweat beads uncomfortably on your skin. What does Tomomi know anyway? You're a woman, and they're not, right? More than that, they're not Hesperian; they're not even Europan. They might know what they're about here, but they don't understand how you were raised.

It's absurd. You wriggle, trying to shake off some of the clinging heat. You miss the dry summers of rural Hesperia. It's too humid here at night; the ocean feels so close everywhere you go. How dangerous would it be to dip your toes into the waters and cool off? Surely, it's not as risky as you think?

Are you really thinking about the ocean right now?

God, you're a dramatic bitch, Helena.

It would be easier just to burn those bridges. Disappearing into the countryside to build planes had already made you partway an outcast in your homeland. Maybe you could cement yourself as the black sheep. They could cut their ties, and you wouldn't have to be beholden to the Cierva legacy anymore. It's not like you need their money or reputation out here. You could build a name for yourself.

You let out a groan of frustration and twist your body again. The sheets are just a tangle and roll away from turning into a knot. You're getting nowhere but deeper in a hole of wakefulness and confusion.

At least the night is quiet and still, the weather calm and the air warm. Winter has given way to spring, and summer is fast approaching. Insects are chirping in the darkness. They've been a constant companion, a reminder of the cicada songs of home.

Do you miss it, you wonder? You're not sure. There are things you miss, the food, the language, the people. But the opportunities you've been given here are unbelievable.

You screw up your face, roll over into your bed, and firmly shut your eyes. Enough is enough, you think. Sleep will come when it comes. Until then, you'll just lie back and try to dream of Hesperia.

- - - -

Presentations have always made you feel like an impostor. You can't help but hear the barbed critiques of your peers whenever you attempt to advertise your creations, their suggestions that they were the work of a fool or a charlatan. But Mr. Asano's inquisitive looks and probing questions put some of that feeling to bed– if not for good, then at least for now.

"It's a passenger plane, then?" he asks, scratching his chin as he walks around the prototype aircraft. He touches a wire attached beneath one small wing, testing the tension with a gentle tug.

"Not explicitly. It has space for a single passenger, but the cut-outs under the wings are for stretchers."

You wonder where Tomomi is. You haven't seen them since your… conversation, though you know they're still around. Perhaps Mr. Asano simply trusts your language skills these days.

"Oh yes, you'd said as much. I understand the Alleghanians use motor vehicles for the same purpose."

Most of Europa did. Akitsukini seems to have maintained a backwards position in that sphere, among many others. It hadn't been until you had spoken to Imiko that you'd learned the nation didn't maintain a fleet of ambulances. They aren't just rare here; they're essentially unheard of. People here bring themselves to the hospital, or their families take them if they're too ill.

"Yes, and I think they do very well. In the conditions that they are intended for."

"Ah, the wide-open boulevards of Galatian and Albian style cities. I suppose ours are positively cramped by comparison."

"My mind was more on your mountain villages, to be honest."

Asano laughs and pats the machine.

"I see I'm being too much of a romantic." He stares along the length of the 'gyro, but his mind is clearly somewhere else. "Which buyers have you lined up?"

"I… have not."

"Oh? I thought I'd heard about a visit–"
a flush begins to spread across your face, and he stops. "I see. Fortunately, I have some colleagues in regional hospitals. Shall I invite them to a demonstration?"

"I would appreciate that."

"Good. I'm enjoying having you here, Miss Cierva. You seem to be proving to be a fine investment."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Hmm."
He turns decisively to walk out of the workshop, "You know, I've heard a rumour you might be interested in. The Navy is considering some sort of small scout plane. I don't doubt an autogyro could prove sufficiently interesting to draw some attention."

"Is that... a work order?"

Asano shrugs on his coat and sets a hat atop his head.

"What do you think, Miss Cierva?"

- - - -

You;
[ ] Will be flying the C.6 at the demonstration (gain +2 stress)
[ ] Will not be flying the C.6 at the demonstration (gain no stress)
-and you have the opportunity to invite someone to observe. You should;
[ ] Invite Dr. Asihara in her role as a doctor and medical professional.
[ ] Invite Imiko Asikhara as a personal guest (gain +1 stress)
[ ] Not show favoritism during this period.

Last edited:
[X] Will not be flying the C.6 at the demonstration (gain no stress)
[X] Invite Imiko Asikhara as a personal guest (gain +1 stress)

Gotta start developing other pilots, and impress a cute girl.

it's the only rational vote, imo

[X] Invite Dr. Asihara in her role as a doctor and medical professional.

Despite the stress, inviting her along to sell her an autogyro while also trying to be friends seems like a messy conflict of interest. Better to be clear that we're inviting her along as a personal guest and for the organization she represents to possibly send another person along than for her to do both.

"Hmm." He turns decisively to walk out of the workshop, "You know, I've heard a rumour you might be interested in. The Navy is considering some sort of small scout plane. I don't doubt an autogyro could prove sufficiently interesting to draw some attention."

"Is that... a work order?"

Asano shrugs on his coat and sets a hat atop his head.

"What do you think, Miss Cierva?"

This part is really interesting to me. I'm not all that familiar with autogyro development IRL, but this could go off in a unique direction. First off, I don't think there's any way we can compete with long-ranged MPA like zeppelins (in WWI) or large flying boats (in WWII). They will cover more ground than an autogyro and do it about as fast. Traditional smaller scout aircraft like a SBD or E13A (I'm more familiar with WWII stuff, sadly) are so much faster than an autogyro that an autogyro will lose out every time in that role.

Instead of purely focusing on the intermediate/long-ranged scouting aspect, though, we should try and capitalize on the unique advantages of an autogyro. First of all, we have excellent STOL performance - it's not unbelievable that you could take off and land a relatively heavy autogyro from a platform on a large cruiser in good weather if you designed for low-speed controllability. That's very useful for bringing spotting with you, especially in cases where you want to have a high sortie rate compared to fixed-wing seaplanes that require a long take off and even longer landing sequence. That's also something we can easily demonstrate to naval brass by marking out a length of road that's the same effective length as the aft deck of [insert armoured cruiser] when moving at ~25 knots then taking off and landing within that space. Submarines are an established threat, so something which can quickly take off from a small convevntional warship, locate the submarine, drop some depth bombs or dye bags, and then return could be worth pitching. In addition, it's naturally suited to roles like gunfire spotting, plane guard, liasion, and even transferring things like casualties between (relatively) distant ships; it's an OS2U but better.
Basically, instead of trying to replace seaplanes and land-based patrol aircraft, we could create the QH-60 or LAMPS a half century early.

The C.6 is already a good starting point for this - we have an autogyro that has a pilot and a passenger already, is designed to be able to come in hard and not fall apart, has good enough STOL characteristics to operate in the mountains, and has an additional cargo capacity of ~150 kilos. If write-ins were allowed, I'd be strongly tempted to suggest we try and hold a demonstration for the Navy, either concurrent with showing it off to hospitals, or immediately after, and then offer to sell them one for feasability tests aboard a ship (possibly with some very minor modifications to make it more suitable for their use). There'd be very little development cost compared to making a new scout aircraft from scratch since you already have an autogyro design ready, you get the profits off of one more airframe, and if they're interested, there's possibly both up-front cash and the ability to incorporate testing feedback into the new design before prototyping.

[X] Will be flying the C.6 at the demonstration (gain +2 stress)

We must put our best foot forward; and unless and until we figure out what the zog we want from the good Doctor, it is best for us and them that we behave professionally.

[X] Will be flying the C.6 at the demonstration (gain +2 stress)

Brilliant stuff, as always. I think the navy could get a lot of use out of an autogyro if they have the foresight to see it, LAMPS is one thing but they'd also be good gunfire spotters and can be used for carrying packets and personnel from ship to ship while underway. The theoretical ability to land on a small flying-off deck makes them a lot more flexible than a seaplane.

I focused on LAMPS (well, the ASW aspect of LAMPS, because even the acronym mentions it's a Multi-Purpose System) because it's the rotary-wing equivalent to traditional MPA, and the rumour mill is discussing a request for proposals for scouts. There are definitely a lot of benefits to having a rotary-wing aircraft that can land aboard a ship in 1913 or whenever this would enter service at the earliest, but if we want to get the Navy interested, better to try and fill their requirement first (albeit in a unique way) and then once they know autogyros exist, say "oh also here's a whole bunch of really cool stuff you could do with these in addition to the short-range scouting role".

At the current rate, we're actually pretty advanced; after digging through some sources I grabbed a year or so ago it seems we're pretty comparable to the TsAGI A-4 in terms of payload, which is really impressive.

Last edited:

2.7 A Flying What?
You;
-and you have the opportunity to invite someone to observe. You should;

As you load the C.6 onto the back of the truck, you can't help but reflect that this is the first of your designs you won't be flying. Every previous version, from the multiple rebuilds of the C.2 to the full realisation of the C.5, had flown entirely by your hand. Even the C.1, as much as it had been a failure, launched and gently crashed under your control.

Now Mr. Asano had found himself a new pilot. It wasn't a slight against you; he'd been exceptionally clear about that. He simply wasn't willing to risk his star designer in a prototype aircraft. A sign of his faith in your skills, perhaps, but it didn't lessen the sting.

Your replacement gives you a wave as you strap a rotor blade into place. Yamaya Rokuro was a clean-cut, handsome young man who'd proven his worth as a pilot in the recent scrap with Caspia. He seemed reasonable enough, even with the dark look behind his bright brown eyes. You couldn't help but be reminded of your father after he'd returned from the war with New Alleghany.

You had had to coach him on the finer points of handing an autogyro, of course. He'd only handled traditional aircraft during his time in the army. But he learned fast; after a couple of training flights in the C.5, he seemed more than ready to take the C.6 on its maiden flight.

You pat the back of the truck once the last piece is loaded. The engine roars into life, and Yamaya gives a cheerful wave goodbye as he ducks into the cab. The big machine roars out of the yard and begins its journey to the airfield.

You'd be leaving soon as well. Even if you weren't going to be today's test pilot, you wouldn't have missed the C.6's maiden flight for all the world. But as much as you might wish otherwise, you wouldn't be traveling to the airfield with your newest creation.

You had your own transport arranged.

"Baronesa!" You turn and see Doctor Asihara waving for your attention– Imiko waving for your attention. You hadn't invited her in a professional capacity, but as a friend. Even if you were still processing the conversation you'd had with Tomomi, they were right about you needing one..

"Imiko!" You hurry across the yard to meet her, searching for the right thing to say. You're still searching by the time you're face to face.

Imiko gives you a worried look. "Helena, are you well?"

"No, no! I am fine, really,"
You let out a giggle that you hope sounds confident and not nervous. "We will be late if we don't hurry."

"I've heard in Europa it's considered far finer to be a little late when you're the one everyone is waiting for."

"Unfortunately, they are waiting for the truck, not the designer."

"Ah, well. That's their loss. I know where I would rather be."
She slides her hand into the crook of your elbow, as she had once before. Heat rises in your cheeks, and you can't help but look away. She must know what she's doing to you.

You walk in relative quiet for a little while, exchanging a few mumbled compliments but nothing of consequence. The road turns to gravel and then to the dirt of a rural track beneath your feet. It is warm but not so much that you're uncomfortable. You soon find yourself falling into a steady rhythm, Imiko's hand pressed oh so lightly into your side.

"I'm looking forward to seeing your plane fly."

"It is exciting, is it not?"
You pause for a moment, admitting to yourself that excitement isn't the only thing you're feeling right now. "I am always anxious when something I have worked on takes its first flight. But this time, I am not the one trusting my life to it. I do not know if that makes it better or worse."

"Has anything ever gone very wrong?"
Imiko's face forms a frown of concern.

"I have crashed more than a few times, though never that badly." You hold out your hands and wiggle your fingers a few times, as if experimentally, "You will notice I am still intact. The C.4 though - the one before the first one I flew here - the engine gave up halfway through my test flight."

"How did you survive?"
She clutches at your arm, and you find a warmth growing in your chest.

"Ah, well. That is the beauty of the autogyro. Have you heard of the principle of autorotation?"

Your conversation continued into the minutiae of aeronautics as you carried on down the road.

The testing field is different from last time. Having followed the truck, a gaggle of locals now watch as the team rebuilds the C.6 under Ichiro's supervision. The sky is clear and blue, with barely the first gusts of wind washing their way across the field. As untrustworthy as it is, the forecast has promised only the best flying weather despite the coolness of the air.

Since the previous test, Mr. Asano has had a bleacher erected, a sign of more tests to come. Tomomi waves a reserved wave from atop it. You approach slowly, taking your time to enjoy the warm air and Imiko's company before you are inevitably forced into the politics of Mr. Asano's work.

"Ms. Cierva!" Mr. Asano calls out, his voice booming in a way you hadn't expected from the softly spoken businessman.

He's standing amidst a collection of well-dressed men. That meant modern, western-style suits for the most part, but one was notably in the dress uniform of Akitsukini's Navy. He gestures for you to join him, and you walk gracefully up the stairs with Imiko on your arm. You almost falter when one of the businessmen turns to whisper something in the ear of another. What is he saying?

"Good to have you here at last, Ms. Cierva. I was almost worried you wouldn't make it," he remarks as you reach the group.

"That was my fault, Sir. I'm afraid I delayed your star designer." Imiko cuts in before you can respond.

"Oh, hello Miss Asihara. I hadn't realised you'd been invited to this little gathering as well," one of the besuited men pipes in. He seems surprised, but not unkindly so. "Taijiro, you old dog. You should have told me you already had someone from my hospital attending."

"I believe Ms. Cierva has invited your lady Doctor on her own initiative."
he responds. Again, you find yourself blushing as you attempt a response.

"I'm afraid I didn't know who Mr. Asano was inviting, and I wanted to ensure we had at least one medical professional available to observe–"

"Helena!"
Imiko gives your arm a playful swat, "You should have said this was going to be a business trip. I could have brought my notepad."

Your train of thought stalls, and you fail to recover it before crashing into the ground. Fortunately, Mr. Asano doesn't leave you hanging for very long.

"Ms. Cierva, I'd like to introduce Amato Yuji, Kamiya Maki, and Nakamura Jun." Three suited men each give a short bow in turn. You reply with a slight curtsey. "And from the Navy, Lieutenant-Commander Shinzo Akibara."

He bows as well, his sword held carefully to his side. His piercing eyes never leave yours.

"Baronesa, it is a pleasure."

"The pleasure is mine,"
you respond automatically. Hearing someone - a stranger, no less - address you by your title immediately pushes you into a more formal frame of mind, "You have been doing some research, I take it?"

He laughs, a gloved hand covering his smile.

"I like to know who's putting on the displays I'm invited to."

"Well–"

Whatever response you had planned is cut short by a shout from the field. Mr. Asano hushes everyone around him.

"It looks like we're ready to begin, gentlemen - and ladies, of course."

The autogyro lifts from the field at a heady speed of… one of the timers counts twenty-eight kilometres per hour. That seems low to you, but with the wind picking up and only a single pilot aboard, it's not that surprising.

It soars up into the air with the familiar buzz of the engine and just the barest chopping of the rotor. It feels strange to not be at the controls, but it seems that isn't your place any longer. Now, it's here, courting and consorting with potential investors.

Nonetheless, it is challenging to watch Yamaya put the C.6 through its paces and not think what you could do better. A little rudder here, a touch more throttle there… There isn't anything technically wrong with the pilot's work, but you have the experience of creating these odd machines; no amount of hours in a traditional plane can compare to that.

The demonstration is soon over, but Yamaya isn't done. He dismounts the aircraft, running over to the crowd of locals with a spring in his step. He shouts something that you only half-understand as an invitation, your confusion growing as the men around you laugh in response. Even Imiko covers her mouth demurely. It's only when he leads a bold teenager out to the plane and begins to explain how to board that you realise what's happening.

In your opinion, it's an absurd waste of time. But the businessmen are clapping, so who are you to argue? As you stew, you wonder if the idea was Mr. Asano's suggestion or it was the pilot's spur-of-the-moment decision. You're frustrated you weren't informed either way.

You're getting ready to say something when someone taps you on the shoulder.

"Baronesa, do you think I might request a turn?"

"Commander Akibara? I do not see why not. Have you any experience in flying machines?"

He laughs again, this time with his belly. It's a kind sound.

"You could say that. I might be desk-bound now, but I used to fly experimental seaplanes for the Navy. I only nearly died once."

"Ah. Well, perhaps we can try not to make that twice today?"

"Of course,
Baronesa. I wouldn't dream of spoiling your little show."

He walks - nearly runs - across the open field, clambering into the autogyro with all the grace of a newborn lamb. But climb aboard he does; soon, the plane is up and circling the field again.

"Have you met him before?" Imiko asks once he's up in the air. She's quiet, standing close beside you so only you can hear.

"Who, the Commander? No, never. Why?"

"He knows a lot about a stranger, doesn't he?"

"I suppose so. But then again, I cannot imagine the military sending a representative without looking into who it is they are spending time with."

She seems to take a few minutes to consider this before replying, watching the circling autogyro closely.

"Something is making me anxious. I'm probably just being silly."

"I can't imagine that."
You say, putting your hand on hers where it's squeezing your arm. She looks up at you and gives you a small smile. "I may be a naive foreigner, but I grew up in Europan courts. I can take care of myself."

She laughs, and you both return to watching the flight.

By the time they come back down, the light is beginning to fade. Shinzo and Yamaya climb down from the aircraft, laughing and joking like old friends. Once they reach the bleachers, you lead the other observers down to meet them.

"You know, that's an odd little plane you've got there, Mr. Asano. It floats in some extraordinary ways."

"So how many will the Navy be ordering?"
the old man bluntly asks. Everyone laughs.

"None yet, though I imagine you'll do very well in the civilian market. No, this one isn't for us, but I think you've heard…"

"We certainly have, Commander."

"Very well. I look forward to seeing what you put forward for that."
He gives a bow then turns to you, "And I hope to meet you again soon, Baronesa."

Current Stress: 5

It's time to relieve some of the stress of this design program! Let's figure out Cierva's vices! Choose as many as you like: each will correspond to a roll, and a failed roll means a bad time. But every success means 1 (or even 2) stress removed!

You don't want to reach 10 stress.
[ ] Drinking…
- [ ] with the company. For all that the last time had sparked some complicated feelings, it had been enjoyable enough.
- [ ] alone. Everything here is so complicated; a little bit of solitude would do you well, right now.
[ ] Take Imiko out to dinner, your treat. The tea house didn't seem the place to celebrate, but perhaps she could suggest an appropriate venue?
[ ] Break out the C.5 and take it for a spin. Watching Yamaya fly has put you in the mood.
[ ] Visit a brothel. It's been a lonely few months.
[ ] Visit a bathhouse. They didn't have them back home, and the concept seemed deeply appealing.

Author Note: There is a quest set in Himmelgard (Flying Circus' setting) being co-written by @Hakazin the co-writer of this question. It's called Displaced Quest and it's great. Check it out! Displaced Quest! (Flying Circus Isekai) Mature - Fantasy

Last edited:
[X] Drinking…
- [X] with the company. For all that the last time had sparked some complicated feelings, it had been enjoyable enough.
[X] Take Imiko out to dinner, your treat. The tea house didn't seem the place to celebrate, but perhaps she could suggest an appropriate venue?
[X] Break out the C.5 and take it for a spin. Watching Yamaya fly has put you in the mood.
[X] Visit a bathhouse. They didn't have them back home, and the concept seemed deeply appealing.

Cierva is really quite cute when she's flustered. That aside flying and spending more time with a potential significant other seem like fun.

Last edited:
Good update. We've been enjoying this quest.

[X] Take Imiko out to dinner, your treat. The tea house didn't seem the place to celebrate, but perhaps she could suggest an appropriate venue?
[X] Break out the C.5 and take it for a spin. Watching Yamaya fly has put you in the mood.
[X] Drinking…
- [X] with the company. For all that the last time had sparked some complicated feelings, it had been enjoyable enough.
[X] Visit a bathhouse. They didn't have them back home, and the concept seemed deeply appealing.

"Baronesa!" You turn and see Doctor Asihara waving for your attention– Imiko waving for your attention. You hadn't invited her in a professional capacity, but as a friend. Even if you were still processing the conversation you'd had with Tomomi, [end of sentence here].

Something that slipped past the editing I think.

[X] Drinking…

Let's party down

Back