The King James Victory Parade - Avatar: The Way of Water and sequels

I'm genuinely obsessed with these movies the first one was a mediocre action flick but I keep re-watching it, because it is fundamentally a kinda fun if preachy action movie and really nothing more.

The whole shtick of Cameron trying to make both a profitable, (i.e dumb) movie as well as meaningful one is kinda fascinating as he obviously wants to make a beautiful and original world while still putting in literal horses, just giving them six legs in a manner that makes no sense.

I kinda want these movies to just turn out to be rubbish, now what a fall from grace that would be.

They sound like they are going straight to DVD to be honest.

There is no way in hell that these will be the actual titles used, James isn't the type of man to make this kind of mistake.

One of the working titles sounds something more like a movie spin-off to The Last Airbender. They better have a new title when it's released.

So, with the first film supposedly coming out next year, some concept art is starting to emerge:

I'm honestly obsessed with this movie, can you imagine if it ends up a disaster? James Cameron's fall from grace. The Icarus of Hollywood.

Hopefully the evil meme man robot will still be part of the eventual product.

Twelve years, though! It's been long enough that they should just make a Prequel Trilogy of Avatar instead.
Twelve years in gestation.
Only been filming for about two years off and on, with most of that being environmental filming; live action filming was only about four months, which is about normal for a lot of Hollywood movies
Wikipedia said:
Cameron, who had stated in 2006 that he would like to make sequels to Avatar if it was successful, announced the first two in 2010 following the widespread success of the first film, with Avatar 2 aiming for a 2014 release.[10][11][12] However, the subsequent addition of three more sequels, and the necessity to develop new technology in order to film performance capture scenes underwater, a feat never accomplished before in motion capture history, led to significant delays to allow the crew more time to work on the writing, pre-production, and visual effects; it is currently planned for a release in December 2021, with the following three sequels to be released, respectively, in December 2023, December 2025 and December 2027.[13][14]
Preliminary shooting for the film started in Manhattan Beach, California on August 15, 2017, followed by principal photography simultaneously with Avatar 3 in New Zealand on September 25, 2017. Performance capture filming wrapped in November 2018, while live-action filming began in early 2019
And he's filming Avatar 3 simultaneously with Avatar 2.

It's been a while, but it's not that much longer; Cameron first wrote his initial outline for Avatar 1 in 1994, announced his initial plans to film it in 1996, and then shelved it for almost a decade when he didn't think the tech was good enough. He only came back to it around 2005. Terminator 2 came out 7 years after Terminator 1. The 4K Blu-Ray version of The Abyss has still been in production since at least 2016 and it STILL isn't out.

This is more or less Cameron. Dude has a tendency to take his time.

I think... I think I never wanted for the next Avatar movie to come out. And maybe, just maybe, I was only in love with the idea of the next Avatar movie, with it coming out two years, only to get postponed one more time. Or, in other words:

It's gonna be amusing when the red carpet events start and the cast of kids in the movie are all mid-late teenagers or even 20's by now.

Can't wait for salty internet nerds to talk about how the humans would have totally nuked Pandora again.

This is your Regular reminder that Avatar is racist, colonialist garbage in the first place. So.

>Avatar is exploitive performative white Liberal "we're halping" racism.<

This has been your regular reminder that Avatar is racist, colonialist garbage. Thank you.

This is your Regular reminder that Avatar is racist, colonialist garbage in the first place. So.

>Avatar is exploitive performative white Liberal "we're halping" racism.<

This has been your regular reminder that Avatar is racist, colonialist garbage. Thank you.

This is rather out of topic but what do think of District 9?

About the whole Cinematic Universe schtick... Ye all realize Cameron is going to tie in Avatar with the Aliens/Prometheus franchise, right ? It fits with the whole pseudo-creationism he introduced in that other franchise, neatly explaining the USB-mindlink that comes standard on every Pandorian lifeform: they were all designed by the Engineers as yet another weapons lab.

Last edited:
I thought Aliens/Prometheus was Ridley Scott. Because he was the director for Alien, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

James Cameron directed the sequel to Alien back 1986, but that is the only connection I am aware of.

Last edited:
I thought Aliens/Prometheus was Ridley Scott. Because he was the director for Alien, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

James Cameron directed the sequel to Alien back 1986, but that is the only connection I am aware of.
Avatar 2 will be one gigantic allusion to the Bible. Jake Sully is a Jesus stand-in. In the last five minutes, it will be revealed that Ridley Scott has replaced James Cameron after the first Avatar was finished, and nobody noticed the difference.

Screenwriter: Damon Lindelof with a paper bag over his head.

honestly i'm fucking down for the avatar sequel to be the Aliens to Avatar's Alien. Go full action movie/Predator with it. Squad of colonial marines marine marines? trying to survive in the jungle while being hunted by these giant aliens that're trying to fucking impale 'em with spears and torso-sized arrows. Everyone dies.

Or just make a spin-off war movie showing the big battle from the perspective of that one random guy who killed the noble Indian chieftain stereotype third vertex of the love triangle as literally everything dies.

The fact that so many dumb nerds responded to the super racist Avatar with "I wish the movie had been more racist" amuses me to this day. I can't wait for the unbelievably shit hot takes these bizarre sequels generate. They'll certainly be more entertaining than whatever deranged stuff Cameron's cooked up.

The fact that so many dumb nerds responded to the super racist Avatar with "I wish the movie had been more racist" amuses me to this day. I can't wait for the unbelievably shit hot takes these bizarre sequels generate. They'll certainly be more entertaining than whatever deranged stuff Cameron's cooked up.
Seeing what insane direction Cameron is going in is pretty much what's keeping my interest in this crap.

Just how is Cameron going to find enough plot to stretch this out for four more films? Considering that somehow they're finding a way to bring back like every character who died who wasn't a Na'vi or Michelle Rodriguez (at least she came back in the Fast and Furious), the answer might terrify us in it's bizarreness.

The thing about Avatar is like, the corporation is obviously the bad guys? They are portrayed extremely negatively but I guess a mech with a giant knife is enough to make them be acceptable. It also makes no sense to nuke Pandora because they are literally there for the resources.

Then again I legitimately have not seen the "lets kill the Navi lmao" opinions actually taken seriously, and more like Internet edgelords repeating a joke. In literal years since the film came out, I have not seen "the evil corp is the good guys" ever taken as a legitimate view. Not once IRL and sure the Internet is the Internet, I've seen more people complain about it then people advocating it.

Maybe it's because I wasn't around the online discussions at the time but the xenophobic viewpoint is very much a small minority.

Back