The King James Victory Parade - Avatar: The Way of Water and sequels

EDIT: Also, I'll point out in real life we don't in fact nuke people over mining disputes. And as much as "third world countries get randomly bombed", we don't nuke them at random.

This is a very Spacebattles line of argument...

Well, true, but usually it might be because often those countries have links to other countries that could nuke the US back/would have VERY itchy trigger fingers if the US started nuking nations at the first setback/for resources. We could theorize that the Na´vi might have powerful patrons, but so far we have not see anything that suggests that.

Not that I am saying it´s remotely justified.

Last edited:
Well, true, but usually it might be because often those countries have links to other countries that could nuke the US back/would have VERY itchy trigger fingers if the US started nuking nations at the first setback/for resources. We could theorize that the Na´vi might have powerful patrons, but so far we have not see anything that suggests that.

Except for the fact that their biology and entire ecosystem is obviously engineered...

It being engineered would run counter to everything the film is saying. The whole notion at its core is that you're looking at natural perfection on Pandora, and that's what the bad, industrial humans are threatening.

For it to be an artificial ecosystem would work against Cameron's point. A point which he is clubbing us with to the point of causing a skull fracture.

It being engineered would run counter to everything the film is saying. The whole notion at its core is that you're looking at natural perfection on Pandora, and that's what the bad, industrial humans are threatening.

For it to be an artificial ecosystem would work against Cameron's point. A point which he is clubbing us with to the point of causing a skull fracture.

Not if they're trying to say that the creators of it are just better and more enlightened than us.

Not if they're trying to say that the creators of it are just better and more enlightened than us.
But if that is the case, it just muddies Cameron's argument to no real gain. And I really don't think Avatar, the film in which the protagonist is lectured about how killing animals which are trying to eat him is Very Sad Only, has the nuance in it to be pushing the notion of an idealised technological utopia creating a perfect artificial ecosystem, when the Primitive Is Pure line on this is so strong.

Also, it's not in the text. As I've said, in the running battles over the Prequel Trilogy if I'm meant to read something in the text then it needs to be in the text. We need to be able to point to a line, a visual or an action and say "this means X", and ideally articulate how other things in the film back it up. It's been a while since I saw Avatar, but I'm sceptical about that being doable here.

Last edited:
I really hope they dial back on the mighty-whitey narrative, give the Na'vi better characterization then space native americans (as imagined by white liberals and deep ecology weirdos) who have no history except some dudes riding dragons, and little culture beyond 'We worship mother nature'*, and have an actually memorable plot this time around.

*No, doing the same but also some of them are space Polynesian this time doesn't count.

Oh, so it is actually being made? I thought this was going to be a vaporware.

Oh, so it is actually being made? I thought this was going to be a vaporware.
It's pure naivete to think Disney would just let a movie that made over two billion fade away into obscurity.

If they're doing the insane thing and bringing back Quadritch I hope we at least get a strong rivalry between him and Jake. Grudge matches are always fun.

As for the trailer, seems that they didn't kicked the humans out of Pandora. Thats a even bigger military base than the RDA one.
Of course not they can't do a whole movie without humans in it don't be ridiculous. That wouldn't fit with the deep lore of Pandora - The World of Avatar.

Also, without humans wouldn't these just be animated movies, to be segregated into the ranks of best animated films?

I'm trying not to be too cynical about this movie, but this trailer doesn't give me much hope that it's going to be more than a rerun of the first movie warts and all.

Looks amazing. Like holy shit, a really expensive movie that actually looks really expensive. What a refreshing change after an endless run of subpar looking Marvel movies. The first Avatar is underrated and what started a funny observation about how 'no one remembers it' has become tediously unfunny as people kept repeating it over and over year in and year out.

Anyway, never bet against James Cameron, high chance this movie will kick ass.

You can already tell from the teaser how Quaritch is back, too

He's had his consciousness put in an Avatar - RDA is using Avatars as soldiers now

I look forward to it. The original script of Avatar was a lot more morally complex with the Na'vi not being the noble aliens that they are. Hopefully Cameron does something unique with it but I'm not holding my breath.

I look forward to it. The original script of Avatar was a lot more morally complex with the Na'vi not being the noble aliens that they are. Hopefully Cameron does something unique with it but I'm not holding my breath.
I think remembering reading somewhere that in the original script the Unobtainium was actually necessary to save Earth (instead of simply being a supra-conductor even better than any metal on Earth), explaining why the humans were so aggressive in their extraction operations.

find someone who loves you like james cameron loves the ocean
I find it very funny that he spent all this time and money on "research" deep underwater… when the protagonists of this film it was nominally all for aren't allowed to use any of the technology you need to actually get down there to the weird stuff. From what I understand this is just going to be whale riding and skin diving into Pandora's reefs or whatever.

Back