The King James Victory Parade - Avatar: The Way of Water and sequels

On the topic of the Na'vi it seems pretty obvious to me that they're some kind of post-apocalyptic society. Them having organic USB cords that can connect to other animals and to a planet-wide tree network reeks of transhumanism, especially in the context of the eponymous Avatars and their transhuman implications, but its obvious they either forgot their background. Possibly deliberately.

I don't think so.

The Na'vi are set up to be natural, there's no hint of any kind post-apocalyptic thing. They introduce the monkey-like things to explain how 4 legged humanoids evolved on a planet where hexapods are dominant, they include a bunch of other explanations in the wikies and other places to justify the bioforests, stuff like that...

Is it unrealistic? Sure.
But it is intended to be that way.

Last edited:
I thought it was established that the humans don't need the minerals to survive, it's just for profit.

And the Na'vi seem to have been either created artificially or uplifted by some more advanced race, what with the whole planetary consciousness and clearly engineered ecosystem. The plot for the sequels that I've been hoping for (but we're probably not going to get) is that the actual creators of the Pandoran ecosystem show up and find out that some meddling aliens have been interfering with their little science experiment.

I'm not sure if the movie ever established why the mineral was important.
I have not actually seen the movie, so i am working of second hand information here (both from those who liked it, and those that did not), but my understanding was that the "needed for survival" is something that was planned but got cut, and then there was some suplementary material that it could be used to make super conductors (something about transporting workers/servants back and forth for some reason).

But in either case, the idea that something is so expensive that you could go to another solar system to mine it, and make a profit, is utterly unbelievable to me.
This is not a series with casual ftl, i just don't see how this works, at all.

I thought it was established that the humans don't need the minerals to survive, it's just for profit.
Specifically, it so that people can have cheap immigant neighbour without having to live next to the immigrants.

After only a few decades, the company had the capital and stature to propose the construction of a world-spanning rapid transit system that would allow entire population groups to conveniently commute hundreds or even thousands of miles to perform work where it was needed, without impinging on the cultural values of host populations. The success of the venture led to the current global network of maglev trains that require the superconductor material known as unobtanium for their continued operation.
james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com

Resources Development Administration

The Resources Development Administration, or RDA, is the main antagonistic organization in the Avatar franchise. The RDA is the largest single non-governmental organization in human space. Its power is such that it outmatches most Earth governments in wealth, political influence, and defense...

I have not actually seen the movie, so i am working of second hand information here (both from those who liked it, and those that did not), but my understanding was that the "needed for survival" is something that was planned but got cut, and then there was some suplementary material that it could be used to make super conductors (something about transporting workers/servants back and forth for some reason).
It's demonstrated in the movie as a superconductor, but that's about it.

The monorail network is not in the movie, only in the offical tie in database (which has since been taken down).

Last edited:
Specifically, it so that people can have cheap immigant neighbour without having to live next to the immigrants.

james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com

Resources Development Administration

The Resources Development Administration, or RDA, is the main antagonistic organization in the Avatar franchise. The RDA is the largest single non-governmental organization in human space. Its power is such that it outmatches most Earth governments in wealth, political influence, and defense...
At which point i'm going "why not just build some out of sight barracks where you can keep them in cages or something?"
I mean, we are operating on evil capitalist dystopia level, yes?

It's weird how i am constantly surprised by how, not evil, the supposed capitalist overlords of this movie are.
I mean, sure, they are evil, but far less than i would expect them to.

Isn't her character dead?
Just before she died she got uploaded into Pandora's giant bio-computer, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see a new character with her thought patterns/memory access/katra spirit or the like and just have Weaver play them.

It's pretty funny reading back on this thread and seeing how every time some news comes out people clamber over themselves to mention how culturally irrelevant Avatar was. I just don't believe that's true - Avatar did have a massive effect on the technical side of things, but I also think it was a lot more fondly remembered than a lot of you seem to think.

I mean, I'd argue that the plot was paint by numbers at best, but Avatar was kind of a rarity in that regard, in that having a plot was basically the entrance fee to getting the movie's actual priorities on screen, namely-

-showing off a new level of realistic CGI
-showing off a new level in 3D filming technology
-showing off taking place on a planet with a functioning alien biosphere designed from the ground up by the creators

Avatar was a giant SFX show where the creators decided they needed to have some people talking at each other to keep viewers in seats for the runtime, so it got a very basic Dances With Spacewolves plot. Though I am of the opinion the backlash to said plot was overmuch - Mighty Whitey aspects are worth criticizing but all the hurf hurf kill the navi shit got really tiresome.

Just look at drone strikes today. Just look at the history of how indigenous people are treated. This is the most realistic aspect of the movie lol.
I mean, it seems to me that is exactly what @Valmond is thinking of. Exactly given how indigenous people are treated, and how third world countries get randomly bombed - why wouldn't the evil-corporation-with-its-own-military just clear up the "trouble makers" by outright nuking them, or use kinetic orbital bombardment?

True, though it's kind of messed up how many people were jerking off to that idea.

The whole Na'vi thing probably doesn't get enough flak for how a few years after culturally appropriating First Nations stuff has become decisively seen as unacceptable, a franchise suddenly comes along featuring aliens that totally aren't Native Americans (but are obviously coded as such) that is cool for white people to wear the culture of.

I mean, it seems to me that is exactly what @Valmond is thinking of. Exactly given how indigenous people are treated, and how third world countries get randomly bombed - why wouldn't the evil-corporation-with-its-own-military just clear up the "trouble makers" by outright nuking them, or use kinetic orbital bombardment?
I haven't watched Avatar, but isn't this covered by the story? If Unobtanium is a volatile substance and the main Na'Vi population center is on the largest concentration of it (as I remember hearing about) then that would be a logical reason for orbital bombardment to be nonviable. Destroying the resources you want to get resources sounds counterproductive.

I haven't watched Avatar, but isn't this covered by the story? If Unobtanium is a volatile substance and the main Na'Vi population center is on the largest concentration of it (as I remember hearing about) then that would be a logical reason for orbital bombardment to be nonviable. Destroying the resources you want to get resources sounds counterproductive.
Unobtanium is not volatile, but it is a floating rock.

Orbital bombardement wasn't done because there was no reason for the RDA to consider it. The Na'vi are armed with bow and arrow, you don't need weapons of mass destruction to fight that.

When Quarritch attacks the home tree, he effortlessly wipes the floor with them.
When all the Na'Vi of the entire continent gather together in one location which is extra defensible, he takes some casualties, but still wins in.

It's only when the entire planetmind turns against him that Quarritch starts losing, and by then it is way too late to start coming up with orbital bombardement ideas.

Yeah, there were a lot of people who were getting creepily gleefull about it.

I still think it would be a neat twist if they did start nuking the place from orbit, only for the original engineers of the biosphere to arrive in a fleet of FTL-capable, moon-sized spacecraft and go 'Excuse me, wtf r u doing?'

Uh what engineers? I don't remember anything about Bioengineering taking place in the movie (outside of the actual Avatars of course)

Okay, this franchise has a million and one problems, but 'is scientifically inaccurate because a planet wide network and USB ports wouldn't evolve naturally' ain't one of them.

Okay, this franchise has a million and one problems, but 'is scientifically inaccurate because a planet wide network and USB ports wouldn't evolve naturally' ain't one of them.
No, i'm pretty sure that is one the problems.
As is having "live in harmony with nature" message where those living in harmony can basicly hijack any animal with said usb ports, as it kinda looses lot of its oomph with that.
I don't think it is intended to be engineered or anything, i just think it is kinda stupid.

Evolution is sort of like design by iterative weighted RNG, so it can probably spit out some pretty wild stuff. Seeing as we don't have any examples of alien biospheres to calibrate exactly how wild it can get, I think Pandora is within the bounds of what sorts of wild bullshit you can come up with without it breaking suspension of disbelief.

Exactly given how indigenous people are treated, and how third world countries get randomly bombed - why wouldn't the evil-corporation-with-its-own-military just clear up the "trouble makers" by outright nuking them, or use kinetic orbital bombardment?
Because then they get thrown to the wolves when they go back to Earth. They went to such lengths to talk the Na'vi into complying and/or manufacture excuses for driving them off in the first place because people back home are actually paying attention and actually care what is happening. "First intelligent alien life" is a big deal. For political reasons they need to spin their imperialism, as not imperialism.

EDIT: Also, I'll point out in real life we don't in fact nuke people over mining disputes. And as much as "third world countries get randomly bombed", we don't nuke them at random.

This is a very Spacebattles line of argument...

Last edited:
Because then they get thrown to the wolves when they go back to Earth. They went to such lengths to talk the Na'vi into complying and/or manufacture excuses for driving them off in the first place because people back home are actually paying attention and actually care what is happening. "First intelligent alien life" is a big deal. For political reasons they need to spin their imperialism, as not imperialism.

EDIT: Also, I'll point out in real life we don't in fact nuke people over mining disputes. And as much as "third world countries get randomly bombed", we don't nuke them at random.

This is a very Spacebattles line of argument...
See, these are also some of my suspension of disbelief issues.
If these are true, i would expect very different looking expedition, that is not so hyper focused on mining.
I would also expect Pandora's population to be 90% anthropologists, by volume.

As for edit, i nreal life we also don't have ships going on mining missions to different solar systems.
The stakes have to be so much higher, (also, no need for nukes, just drop a rock), which makes responses equally higher, modenr day corporations are already willing to go for near genocidal level, how would a future dystopia where a private corporation is allowed to control something as important as an extra solar mission to a planet with intelligent life.

Still environmental destruction also may screw their chance for some execs long term plans for any terraforming efforts because it's the only known world to support life and being able somehow exploit it to breathe live to a dying earth and raise up the rent and property value of their little slice of heaven. Look at how the most expensive cities are green tech metropolis

Back