The King James Victory Parade - Avatar: The Way of Water and sequels

I have to admit to finding it kind of amusing that people with a decade long grudge keep talking about how little impact the film has had.
We're sci fi nerds talking about production of films literally three years out. We don't count as mainstream pop culture, we're niche. We're the bunch advertising is only aimed at in very obscure or specialized media, the ones eternally disappointed by our favorite media and genres abandoning our obsessive compulsive tastes for actual sales figures.

We aren't a good measuring stick for what's popular or leaves an impression. We catch a lot that gets missed by the zeitgeist and miss a lot that gets caught.

Last edited:
I have to admit to finding it kind of amusing that people with a decade long grudge keep talking about how little impact the film has had.
"Remember this thing from eight years ago? It's getting four sequels soon."
"Hey I remember that, it fucking sucked! Why's it getting sequels like ten years later? It's like it dropped off the face of the earth until you reminded me just now."
"Wow look at this guy holding a grudge for a decade."

?????????????????????

Man I remember literally last year people still litigating the same arguments over whether Quaritch's actions counted as genocide or were justified, or the feasibility of the "science" behind Avatar, or the problematic elements of the space white savior narrative; AKA the same arguments nerds have been having about this film since I joined fucking Spacebattles.

In fact I'm pretty sure that's how me and @MJ12 Commando ended up burying the hatchet way back in the day. :V

I don't know if this takes away or adds to this conversation, but I recently rode the Pandora ride? At Disney? It was supposed to be an 'amazing nod' to what James Cameron wishes to do in the next film.

It was, in short, godawful. If it is any indication of what the movie is going to be about (whales?) I don't think anyone should pay good money or wait to see it.

I can't wait to see Kate kill again. Her lust for blood will never slake.

:p

Oh hey guys what

-Reads OP
-this entire thread

Jesus everyone's mad at Space Pocahantas I see.

The only way I see James Cameron improving on this is like, utilizing VR headsets. Now THAT wouldbe a cool way of watching the movie

Oh hey guys what

-Reads OP
-this entire thread

Jesus everyone's mad at Space Pocahantas I see.

The only way I see James Cameron improving on this is like, utilizing VR headsets. Now THAT wouldbe a cool way of watching the movie
Space dances with Wolves

Unless they can do some absolute magic with the effects, I think they are going to be disappointed with the results. Avatar was visually amazing for the time and actually made good use of 3-D. But structurally it was over long and formulaic. Of course, it is always possible Avatar II will be an amazing movie on its own merits, but I don't see the Avatar brand being a powerful draw in the abstract.

Of course, it is always possible Avatar II will be an amazing movie on its own merits, but I don't see the Avatar brand being a powerful draw in the abstract.

It's an incredibly powerful draw. Specifically, it's an incredibly powerful draw for James Cameron, which is why he's making these movies, as opposed to not making these movies. Since these movies will make more money if they exist as opposed to if they don't exist, he's the person it counts to draw in here.

Back