The Green Beast of the South (Legend of Korra Quest)

Earthbending: C+++ (O O) >>> B (O O O O)
For reference, how good was Toph when she joined Team Avatar? We got 7 turns to get that good.
Li stop, you aren't supposed to be charming and cool
Objection! We can totally be charming! Just look at that smile!
[x]
Learning to meditate
[x] Train earthbending with Master Bao
[x]
Train dustbending
[x] Train moving in the shadows
Might want to fix that formatting
This is actually why I've been voting for learning about the world. Korra will be clueless enough, someone has to be the sensible, knowledgeable person here.

Oh god.
I'd actually prefer both people being clueless. Competent, smart, rational people aren't as fun.
Gai is legitimately one very awesome and inspiring man when he drops the eccentricity even just a little.
The eccentricity just makes it better.

Last edited:
[X] Train dustbending
[X] Train moving in the shadows
[X] Train the Strong Fist on my own
[X] Learning to meditate

[X] Train dustbending
[X] Train earthbending with Master Bao
[X] Learning to meditate

Trying to decide when is the best time to learn about the world. It will probably be when we hit level A for earth bending. Or who knows, we might not slow down until S.

If we learn how to unlock our chakras thanks for inner gates training we could get lava bending. Fire chi comes from one of the chakras. The one in the stomach.

[x] Try to train your seismic sense
[x] Train the Strong Fist on my own
[x] Spend time with Korra

[x] Train moving in the shadows
[x] Spend time with Master Bao

Running some numbers for Earth bending (because why not)

Assuming training with Master Bao only gives us 2 counters for training earthbending (assumes rate neither increases nor decreases) we should* hit A rank after 6 more turns training under him. After that, I suspect A rank will need 8 counters for a plus so it'd probably take 12 more actions. By my count we have like 17 turns until canon starts at the 6 months per turn rate. So we will probably** be at or at the cusp of avatar level earthbending.

*ignoring the chance for other things to speed this up
**if diminishing returns doesn't shaft us [knocks on wood]

Assuming training with Master Bao only gives us 2 counters for training earthbending (assumes rate neither increases nor decreases) we should* hit A rank after 6 more turns training under him.
8 actually. 2 for B==>B+, 2 for B+==>B++, 2 for B++==>B+++, 2 for B+++==>A,
And it might actually be 16. Some talk that not only does it take twice as much points, but each point is twice as hard. Not sure whether he'll actually do that or not.
After that, I suspect A rank will need 8 counters for a plus so it'd probably take 12 more actions.
Nope. B, A, and S all require the same number of points.
**if diminishing returns doesn't shaft us [knocks on wood]
We're only getting 2 points as long as we have someone to teach us. Master Bao is only a Master, not Avatar Rank, so can't teach us up to that level.

8 actually. 2 for B==>B+, 2 for B+==>B++, 2 for B++==>B+++, 2 for B+++==>A,
And it might actually be 16. Some talk that not only does it take twice as much points, but each point is twice as hard. Not sure whether he'll actually do that or not.

Nope. B, A, and S all require the same number of points.

We're only getting 2 points as long as we have someone to teach us. Master Bao is only a Master, not Avatar Rank, so can't teach us up to that level.

Did I miss a post when catching up that explained the progression system? Because it feels like I did. And if I did, does the trainer bonus help us up to just letter rank or also to the same degree of pluses? Trying to get a handle on this progression system to run numbers.

I'm fine with Li's pure earthbending never fully reaching Toph's standards.

What I'm hoping is that Li has a combination of techniques that makes countering him absurdly difficult, whether its Body of Steel, Strong Fist, Stealth, Dustbending, or Seismic Sense. Plus, I'm hoping he'll have the insight, sensibility, and friends to use his abilities for maximum effect.

Did I miss a post when catching up that explained the progression system? Because it feels like I did.
Several back when i was running the numbers myself. Here's the start.
@Astaroh-M Do ranks continue to get harder after D? Or does it remain at double?

And if I did, does the trainer bonus help us up to just letter rank or also to the same degree of pluses?
Didn't say, i assumed the latter.

Badgermoles are the original earth benders. If anyone one could match the avatar in earth bending it's them.
Just cause they were the original doesn't mean they were the best. The original computers were nothing against modern ones.
And considering Badger Moles don't reshape the planet, they aren't S-rank

Last edited:
[X] Train dustbending
[X] Train moving in the shadows

All very important things. Hopefully this time Strong Fist training actually nets us another point for Body of Steel.

[X] Train dustbending
[X] Learning to meditate

That's a power thing. Earth bending is something they are probably born knowing how to do just like sky bison.
It's probably not just a power thing, there's never been any mentions of someone having more Chi than someone else or anything like that.
And just because they are born with it STILL doesn't mean they are the best. Since they are born with it, I doubt they spend their entire lives working on their skills in it. Could Badger Moles do metal-bending? Or do Dust-bending?

[x] Train the Strong Fist on my own

It's probably not just a power thing, there's never been any mentions of someone having more Chi than someone else or anything like that.
And just because they are born with it STILL doesn't mean they are the best. Since they are born with it, I doubt they spend their entire lives working on their skills in it. Could Badger Moles do metal-bending? Or do Dust-bending?
It's a power thing. The avatar is only capable of that because Raava is in them.

As for them not being good at earth bending? They use it all the time. It's how they dig their tunnels and how they see. Hell Toph learned seismic sense from badgermoles and it's how she figured out metalbending.

Back