Chapter 77. The History Symposium
Chapter 77. The History Symposium

12-16 June 1945, Berlin, Deutsches Reich

A little over one hundred historians and diplomats from 35 foreign countries¹ attended the Berlin History Symposium.

1. United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China, Siam, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, United Kingdom, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Vatican City, Italy, German Switzerland, Romandy, Inner France, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Croatia.

The History Symposium was divided into two parts. The first part was shorter, public and common for all participants, while the second part consisted of lengthy tête-à-tête meetings held behind close doors. Extraordinary as it was the first part, it would have been surely eclipsed by the second one, should that have been public as well. Alas, the public opinion was left to speculate about the revealed pieces of would-be history from the actions taken by the various governments in its aftermath.

The Symposium debuted rather poorly, with convoluted and fruitless debates over the trustworthiness of the presented revelations and especially over whether the information was even falsifiable. A couple of hours later, Reich Foreign Minister Konstantin von Neurath, the Chairman of the Symposium, was clearly exceeded by the tumult emanating from the amphitheatre.

Konstantin von Neurath: "Gentlemen, please... Let us begin and then judge each piece of information on its intrinsic plausibility..." (whispering to his aide) "It's useless... Take over here, Paul. I'm going to fetch her and have them hear the news directly from the source!"

Paul (confounded): "Fräulein Adolphine?"

von Neurath: "Oh, no! I can't trust her. She may say something that ought to remain unsaid. No, I meant that female robot, Helga."

Paul: "But can we trust the robot?"

von Neurath: "Both Adolphine and the robots want only what's best for the Reich. The problem with Adolphine is that she is... not that smart and she may make a mistake. A robot does not make mistakes."

Paul: "Will she agree? I mean, I heard that those robots are rather independent minded..."

von Neurath: "Feldmarschall von Manstein had already discussed this contingency plan with her."

von Neurath: "Gentlemen, may I have your attention, please?..."

The background noise did not seem to diminish. Von Neurath smiled, took a folded Helga out of his pocket and threw her in the air.

Helga turned on her small motors in order to stay airborne and began to unfold into her usual one by two metres screen shape. The audience gasped.

Helga (in flawless American English, using her softest voice): "Gentlemen, may I have your attention, please?... Good afternoon and welcome to Germany. I am Helga and I will entertain you for the duration of this Symposium."

Helga mesmerized her audience with her persona, wits and smooth talking. For the duration of the Symposium, Helga would manage the eclectic group of men like a school teacher manages her pupils.

Later Churchill would famously comment that the robots were the greatest danger mankind had ever faced and that he would have preferred to deal with Hitler than with Helga. However, his worries were shared by a very small minority and, fortunately, in the end, proved to have been unfounded.

Helga spent the public part of the Symposium getting acquainted with her interlocutors, building trust and a pleasant ambience and talking about general trends in politics, history, society, law, science, technology and ecology.

The most important discussed topics were:
  • Herself, robots, AI, computers, the Internet. Besides a short history of the field, Helga took the opportunity to show off a little. She performed various complicated calculations instantly, spoke many different languages perfectly using the accent of her interlocutor, sang the Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, projected 3D movies and enhanced reality games and showcased her phenomenal map skills.

• The Hirn and the Berlin Dome. Helga avoided most questions and gave evasive answers to the rest. Obviously, she did not uncover any useful information.

• Adolphine. Helga played a couple of short movies from Adolphine's childhood but revealed no sensitive information about her.

• Time travel, causality, parallel universes / timelines. Helga offered her take on the matter but did not discuss the issue in depth.

• The question of trust. When asked whether she might lie, Helga replied: "Lie? Like in willingly providing false information? Oh, gentlemen, I am not a human, but a machine, an instrument. Suppose that your thermometer gives you a mistaken temperature reading. Surely you would presume that it is defective, not lying. Like any other instrument, a robot is built to provide correct and truthful answers. Believe me, a malfunction in either my hardware or my software would be instantly obvious. Besides, as you had surely noticed, I simply decline to answer those questions that a human would probably answer untruthfully instead."

• Communism, the Soviet Union and the Cold War. While most participants were extrememly interested, Helga left most details for the private section of the Symposium.

• Decolonization and its pitfalls. That topic was also greatly expanded upon in the subsequent private section.

• Overpopulation and mass migration to the First World. Helga was unable to explain and the participants could not fathom the reasons why their Governments would accept the migrants in the first place.

• Deforestation, desertification, habitat loss, extinction of numerous species. No solutions were presented.

• Antibiotic resistance and the emergence of new diseases and pandemics in a globalized World. Here, Helga mentioned the medical nanobots and forecasted an end of any and all diseases in about a decade in Germany and another one or two in the rest of the World.

• Polution, fossil fuel burning, Global Warming and sea level rise. Maps and videos showing most of the Netherlands, Florida, the Bengal and other areas submerged left a very powerful impression. Helga promissed that, with cheap and plentiful fusion energy available before the end of the century, the World will evade that horrible fate.

• Social changes. More than anything else, those revelations were utterly repugnant or even uncomprehensible to most attendees. Helga maintained a neutral tone, showing neither approval nor disapproval but merely presenting a series of facts.

• Nuclear proliferation, warfare and terrorism. The death of hundreds of thousands in terrorist attacks in the Occident and tens of millions in a "localized" nuclear war in Asia produced the expected revulsion and urgent need for countermeasures.

• Insane dictatorships, religious fundamentalism, ethnic cleansing and genocide in various countries. Helga believed that, although history would develop differently, the same problems were still prone to plague the developing World, although perhaps in different countries than in her timeline.

• Miscellanious topics.

During the second part of the Symposium, Helga conferred with representatives from each of the participating countries², with the exception of New Zealand whose sole delegate was admitted to hospital with acute appendicitis.

2. Some details about what Helga had discussed in private with each country's representatives will be provided in the chapters dealing with the events from those countries.

Helga's revelations, whether fully believed or not, had, undoubtedly, had a profound effect on the subsequent history of the timeline. For better or for worse.

Decolonization and its pitfalls. That topic was also greatly expanded upon in the subsequent private section.
Well, this has probably delayed the whole giving up colonies thing quite a bit. Who knows, maybe they're gonna make actual plans.

Ha, kidding. They'll just point to the failure of Africa as proof they're not yet fit for independence and cling to them past the point of reason.

Overpopulation and mass migration to the First World. Helga was unable to explain and the participants could not fathom the reasons why their Governments would accept the migrants in the first place.
We owed it to them or something. Yadda yadda.
Nuclear proliferation, warfare and terrorism. The death of hundreds of thousands in terrorist attacks in the Occident and tens of millions in a "localized" nuclear war in Asia produced the expected revulsion and urgent need for countermeasures.
Tens of millions...it's Korea. The only other flashpoint would be India-Pakistan, and with India's population we'd be talking hundreds of millions. Who the fuck poked North Korea?

Insane dictatorships, religious fundamentalism, ethnic cleansing and genocide in various countries. Helga believed that, although history would develop differently, the same problems were still prone to plague the developing World, although perhaps in different countries than in her timeline.
Goodbye Pol Pot. Good riddance, [insert fundamentalist group here]. Won't miss you, arbitrary African borders tying together rival tribes with feuds dating back centuries.

Well. That's a lotta butterflies right there, and a lot of information released likely poisoned the chances of future social movements, however well intentioned they may have been.

Well, this has probably delayed the whole giving up colonies thing quite a bit. Who knows, maybe they're gonna make actual plans.

Ha, kidding. They'll just point to the failure of Africa as proof they're not yet fit for independence and cling to them past the point of reason.

We owed it to them or something. Yadda yadda.

Tens of millions...it's Korea. The only other flashpoint would be India-Pakistan, and with India's population we'd be talking hundreds of millions. Who the fuck poked North Korea?

Goodbye Pol Pot. Good riddance, [insert fundamentalist group here]. Won't miss you, arbitrary African borders tying together rival tribes with feuds dating back centuries.

Well. That's a lotta butterflies right there, and a lot of information released likely poisoned the chances of future social movements, however well intentioned they may have been.
About the future of the Downtime TL, I won't comment anything at this point, as it would slowly unfold in the following chapters.

About the "future past" of the Uptime TL, I left it intentionally blurry, as I don't want to delve into that can of worms and get myself distracted from the Downtime TL, which is the focus of this story.

Hmm, i wonder how the next few years and decades will develop, given that the AI´s will provide the world with all this advanced technology. Also the outlook onto the future. Now that the humans know what all will come, i wonder how the timeline will develop.

Hmm, i wonder how the next few years and decades will develop, given that the AI´s will provide the world with all this advanced technology. Also the outlook onto the future. Now that the humans know what all will come, i wonder how the timeline will develop.
For the next two years you won't have to wait very long because I am posting one chapter per day until I catch up with the story already posted on AlternateHistory.com (chapter 116 there, year 1947). Afterwards, the pace will decrease to one chapter per week or less, because I will have to write them first.

I really hope the world doesn't forget the Holocaust and those in charge of the death camps will face justice, but I sadly doubt it. Israel is going to be out for their scalps, but unlike OTL there is still a Reich to harbor them.

I really hope the world doesn't forget the Holocaust and those in charge of the death camps will face justice, but I sadly doubt it. Israel is going to be out for their scalps, but unlike OTL there is still a Reich to harbor them.
Same. Sadly I think given their strength and them fighting the USSR, they'll not forget it but they won't punish those in charge, leaving them to the German government to punish and who knows if they will.

Given the rivalry between SS and Wehrmacht, I'd say the ones who were too obscure to warrant trial and punishment will find themselves assigned to thankless posts in quasi-exile, or end up assigned to high risk missions beyond the eastern edges of the Dome repeatedly until they fail to return.

Admittedly, the Wehrmacht will proactively clean its records of any wrongdoings and pretend it was just the SS, but what can you do?

Same. Sadly I think given their strength and them fighting the USSR, they'll not forget it but they won't punish those in charge, leaving them to the German government to punish and who knows if they will.
Given the rivalry between SS and Wehrmacht, I'd say the ones who were too obscure to warrant trial and punishment will find themselves assigned to thankless posts in quasi-exile, or end up assigned to high risk missions beyond the eastern edges of the Dome repeatedly until they fail to return.

Admittedly, the Wehrmacht will proactively clean its records of any wrongdoings and pretend it was just the SS, but what can you do?
I cannot say much at this point but there will be some trials (about 20-30 chapters from now). In fact, the Armistice with the Western Powers clearly mandated that Germany prosecute their war criminals. Of course, those sacrificed will be from the SS and the Nazi bureaucracy and not the Wehrmacht.

Chapter 78. The European Community of Nations
Chapter 78. The European Community of Nations

Article Five of the Bern Armistice Treaty between the German Reich and the Western Powers affirmed the status of Germany as a Great Power and its rights to a sphere of influence in and around the Berlin Dome.

That short sentence actually contained three very important clauses:
  • "the status of Germany as a Great Power", while seemingly inconsequential at the moment, would prove to be of great importance in the future, after the reorganization of the League of Nations and the readmission of Germany and other European countries to that organization. The Great Powers were the United States, the United Kingdom, the German Reich, China and the Soviet Union to be joined a while later by the Empire of India.

• "its rights to a sphere of influence" obviously begged the question of what exactly that influence would amount to and a number of limitations to it were clearly spelt in the same article. In fewer words, let's say that the degree of acceptable German influence in its sphere was similar, albeit a bit lower, to the degree of acceptable Soviet influence in the OTL Cold War Warsaw Pact countries.

• "in and around the Berlin Dome" was supposed to mean those countries which were either completely enclosed in the Dome (Denmark, Netherlands, Wallonia), only controlled territory inside the Dome (Flanders, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia¹, later also Romania² and Bulgaria²), straddled the Dome limit (France³, German Switzerland, Italy, Sweden, Norway) or were immediately adjacent to the Dome (Romandy). Territories under Soviet control (the Outer parts of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria) as well as Outer France were understood to be assigned to the German sphere despite Germany's temporary incapacity to exercise its influence there. The three microstates Andorra, Monaco and San Marino were also, obviously, included.
1. A small enclave in Inner Lithuania.
2. Small enclaves in south-eastern Slovakia, in the Hungarian Autonomous Region of Felvidék.
3. Both Outer France (de Gaulle's French Republic) and Inner France (Pétain's French State) were considered to be part of one, indivisible France, temporarily under the authority of two competing governments.

The same Article Five also mentioned the birth of a new International Organization in Europe called the European Community of Nations or ECN in short.

In theory, the ECN was created to further cooperation among the European countries. In practice, it was first and foremost the legal means by which the German Reich was to exert its influence over its assigned sphere, although other European countries were naturally free to join it if they so desired.

The founding members of the European Community of Nations (16 Countries representing 13 Nations) were:
  1. The German Reich, representing the German Nation, a Great Power, the Berlin Dome Owner and by far the largest, the most populous and the most powerful member state
  2. Slovakia (only controlling Inner Slovakia), representing the Slovak Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  3. Croatia⁴ (only controlling Inner Croatia), representing the Croat Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  4. Lithuania (only controlling Inner Lithuania), representing the Lithuanian Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  5. Latvia (only controlling Inner Latvia), representing the Latvian Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  6. Estonia (only controlling a tiny enclave in Inner Lithuania), representing the Estonian Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  7. Poland (only controlling Inner Poland), representing the Polish Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  8. Hungary (only controlling Inner Hungary), representing the Hungarian Nation, completely dependent on Germany for trade and protection
  9. German Switzerland, with a curious situation in which Germany claimed it as a German Federal Autonomous State but refrained from invading it, preferring instead to wait for the Swiss German population to "come to their senses" and freely vote to join the Reich
  10. Flanders (only controlling Inner Flanders), preparing to merge with the Netherlands as Germany dropped its previous veto regarding their unification
  11. Wallonia, under Inner French military administration after the short Franco-Walloon war
  12. The French State (only controlling Inner France and Wallonia), representing the French Nation, preparing to annex Wallonia and Jura, completely dependent on Germany for protection
  13. The Netherlands, representing the Dutch Nation, preparing to merge with Flanders
  14. Denmark, representing the Danish Nation
  15. Sweden, representing the Swedish Nation, with its Capital City and most of its territory and population outside the Dome
  16. Spain, representing the Spanish Nation, completely outside the Dome, the only country outside the designated German sphere of influence which chose to join the ECN
4. Croatia was considered by the Western Powers (and the Soviet Bloc) to be part of Yugoslavia. Croatian independence was not recognized de jure but accepted de facto until the Croatian People from both Inner and Outer Croatia could freely decide on whether to be an independent state or part of the Yugoslav Federation. The Croatian Government was recognized as the temporary Administration of Inner Croatia.

The following countries from within the designated German Sphere of Influence declined to join the ECN (although some of them did join later on):
  • Norway, with Western forces still present on its territory (and Soviet forces in Finnmark)
  • Italy, with Western forces still present on its territory, preparing for the 10th of June Institutional Referendum on the Form of Government
  • San Marino, Italian unofficial protectorate
  • The French Republic (Outer France), extremely hostile towards Germany and still technically at war with it
  • Monaco, French unofficial protectorate
  • Andorra, Franco-Spanish quasifeudal condominium
  • Romandy (French Switzerland), strictly neutral
  • The Vatican City, not even considered a country for that purpose and strictly neutral anyway

A few European countries from outside the designated German Sphere of Influence but more or less sympathetic to the organization did not join the ECN for various reasons (although some of them did join later on):
  • Iceland-Faroe, which still had Western military forces present on its territory due to its strategic position
  • Finland, which had to take into consideration the wishes of the neighbouring Soviet Union (Finlandization)
  • Ireland, which had to take into consideration the wishes of the neighbouring United Kingdom
  • Portugal, which didn't want to forfeit its Colonial Empire⁵
  • Romania (the Romanian Government in Exile), which was under Soviet occupation
  • Bulgaria (the Bulgarian Government in Exile), which was under Soviet occupation
5. The Western Powers limited the German influence to the European Continent (later also parts of Africa and the Mediterranean), policy which was even codified later in Article Twelve of the Bern Armistice Treaty. According to that policy, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and Norway were previously pressured to sell their Colonies to the Western Powers or grant them independence.

During the remainder of the year, the ECN membership underwent a series of changes.

Two ECN members ceased to exist:
  1. Flanders⁶, which merged into the Netherlands on the 1st of July
  2. Wallonia⁶, which federated with the French State and Jura on the 15th of July
Four new members joined the ECN:
  1. Romania⁷ (only controlling a small enclave in Slovakia), representing the Romanian Nation, joined in July
  2. Bulgaria⁸ (only controlling a tiny enclave in Slovakia), representing the Bulgarian Nation, joined in July
  3. Italy, representing the Italian Nation, with its Capital City and most of its territory and population outside the Dome, joined in August
  4. Norway, representing the Norwegian Nation, with its Capital City and most of its territory and population outside the Dome, joined in November
6. More information regarding Flanders and Wallonia in a future chapter.
7. The Romanian Government in Exile (including King Michael of the Romanians) relocated from the United States to a Romanian enclave leased by Slovakia in the Hungarian Autonomous Region Felvidék.
8. The Bulgarian Government in Exile (including Tsar Simeon II of Bulgaria) relocated from the United States to a Bulgarian enclave leased by Slovakia in the Hungarian Autonomous Region Felvidék.

For [redacted] years, the European Community of Nations would consist of the following countries:
  1. The German Reich (Great Power, Dome Owner)
  2. Slovakia (Inner)
  3. Croatia (Inner, with limited international recognition)
  4. Lithuania (Inner)
  5. Latvia (Inner)
  6. Estonia (leased enclave in Lithuania)
  7. Poland (Inner)
  8. Hungary (Inner)
  9. German Switzerland (the only member not representing any Nation, both inside and outside the Dome)
  10. The French State (Inner, including Wallonia and Jura)
  11. The Netherlands (fully inside the Dome, including Inner Flanders)
  12. Denmark (fully inside the Dome)
  13. Sweden (both inside and outside the Dome)
  14. Spain (the only member fully outside the Dome, including the Rif and the Canary Islands)
  15. Romania (leased enclave in Slovakia)
  16. Bulgaria (leased enclave in Slovakia)
  17. Italy (both inside and outside the Dome, including Cyrenaica and Tripolitania, also representing San Marino)
  18. Norway (both inside and outside the Dome, including neutralized Svalbard)

The ECN included a number of organizations, most of them similar to their OTL counterparts:
  • The European Nations Forum (a consultative body similar to a supranational parliament)
  • The European Defence Treaty Organization (a defensive military alliance, similar to NATO or the Warsaw Pact)
  • The European Economic Community
  • The European Police Force or Europol
  • The European Broadcasting Union
  • The European Patent Convention
  • The European Aviation Convention
  • The European Commission for Standardization
  • The European Telecommunication Union
  • The European Sports Association
  • The European Health Organization
  • The European Energy Commission
  • various other structures of a more limited scope

The ECN Headquarters, including the venue of the European Nations Forum, were located in the Capital City of Slovakia, Bratislava.

The Charter of the ECN included a paragraph clearly stating that the ECN was not supposed to evolve into an European Superstate or Federation. Accordingly, at first, the ECN did not have any state-like symbols such as a flag, an anthem or a national day.

When she found out about the ECN, Adolphine threw a fit, yelled at von Manstein, cursed and cried hysterically. She calmed down and apologized for her behaviour when told that, despite their superficial similarities, the European Community of Nations was nothing like the European Union or Europa Federal from her history, would not become a superstate and was merely a means to ensure continued German economic, military and political domination in Europe.

Last edited:
[Graphic] European Community of Nations (1945)
European Community of Nations
Data Table & Charts

Notes:
  • The figures for Spain include the Canary Islands and the Rif (annexed to Metropolitan Spain; more information in an upcoming chapter).
  • The figures for Italy include Tripolitania and Cyrenaica (annexed to Metropolitan Italy; more information in an upcoming chapter).
  • All areas are rounded to the nearest 100 km². The de facto figures for Estonia and Bulgaria are too small to show on this scale and the de facto figure for Romania has thus a very large imprecision (more information in an upcoming post).
  • Since German Switzerland is claimed by the German Reich in whole, there is no value for the German Switzerland claimed area in order to have a correct total.
  • The Population and Density columns represent the de facto controlled areas.
  • The German Influence column contains inherently subjective values. They are normalized by assigning a value of 100 to Germany.
  • The Relative Power column contains inherently subjective values. They are normalized by assigning a value of 100 to Germany.
  1. The form of government in the German Reich and its constituent States will be determined via plebiscites (more information in an upcoming chapter).
  2. Slovakia contains one Autonomous Region, the Felvidék.
  3. Estonia, Romania and Bulgaria only control small enclaves in Lithuania and, respectively, Slovakia. The bulk of their national territories are controlled by the Soviet Union.
  4. The French State is an Assymetric Federation, with Wallonia and Jura enjoying a wide autonomy.
  5. The question of whether Spain is a Republic or a Monarchy is not yet settled.
  6. More about the results of the 10th of June Institutional Referendum in Italy in an upcoming chapter.
  7. The de jure capitals of Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the French State, Romania and Bulgaria are under the control of foreign governments. Both de facto and de jure capitals are included.
  8. The Slovak Koruna and the Hungarian Forint (which replaced the Pengő in September) are pegged one to one to the Reichsmark.
  9. Romania and Bulgaria (small territories enclaved in Slovakia) use the Slovak Koruna. The Baltic States and Croatia use the Reichsmark. German Switzerland renamed its currency to the Swiss Mark (Romandy continues to use the Swiss Franc). The currencies of Inner and Outer France are both called Frech Franc but they have different values and designs.

Updated ECN tables and charts will be posted whenever necessary (not very soon).

[Info] The New Microstates (Estonia, Bulgaria, Romania)
Estonia
Eesti

Member of the European Community of Nations

Capital: Tallinn (de jure)

Official Language: Estonian

Demonym: Estonian

Government: Emergency Government

Legislature: None

Area: 2.48 ha (0.0248 km², 6.13 acres)¹
De jure: 47,400 km² (18,300 sqmi)²
1. A little over 5% of the area of the Vatican City
2. Outer Estonia (Estonian S.S.R. and two small areas annexed to the Russian S.F.S.R.)

Population: 560
De jure: cca. 1,150,000

Miscellanious
Currency: Reichsmark (ℛℳ) = 100 Reichspfennig
Time Zone: Central European Time (GMT+1)
Drives on the right.

Bulgaria
България

Capital: Sofia (de jure)

Official Language: Bulgarian

Demonym: Bulgarian

Monarch: Tsar Simeon II (under Regency)

Legislature: None

Area: 83.7 ha (0.837 km², 207 acres)³
De jure: 111,000 km² (42,850 sqmi)⁴
Claimed: 178,800 km² (69,030 sqmi)⁵
3. Almost two times the area of the Vatican City
4. Outer Bulgaria (Bulgarian S.S.R., including Southern Dobruja)
5. Including World War II annexed areas (parts of Soviet Allies Yugoslavia and Greece)

Population: 1730
De jure: cca. 6,900,000

Miscellanious
Currency: Slovak Koruna = 100 Haliers
Drives on the right.

Romania
România

Capital: Bucharest (de jure)

Official Language: Romanian

Demonym: Romanian

Monarch: King Michael I of the Romanians

Legislature: Unicameral Parliament (advisory role)

Area: 41.9 km² (16.2 sqmi)⁶
De jure: 287,485 km² (111,000 sqmi)⁷
Claimed: 291,650 km² (112,600 sqmi)⁸
6. About two thirds of the area of San Marino
7. Outer Romania (Romanian S.S.R. and two areas annexed to the Ukrainian S.S.R., Northern Bukovina and Southern Bessarabia and excluding Transnistria and Southern Dobruja)
8. Including Transnistria (part of Moldavian A.S.S.R., Romanian S.S.R.)

Population: 171,300 (mostly former prisoners of war)
De jure: cca. 18,500,000

Miscellanious
Currency: Slovak Koruna = 100 Haliers
Drives on the right.

Estonian Enclave
in Kaunas, Lithuania

Bulgarian and Romanian Enclaves
in the Felvidék Autonomous Region, Slovakia

Last edited:
I cannot say much at this point but there will be some trials (about 20-30 chapters from now). In fact, the Armistice with the Western Powers clearly mandated that Germany prosecute their war criminals. Of course, those sacrificed will be from the SS and the Nazi bureaucracy and not the Wehrmacht.
So the "Clean Wehrmacht" myth becomes accepted fact?

So the "Clean Wehrmacht" myth becomes accepted fact?
Not at all. They are not prosecuted but plenty of witness accounts of various purely Wehrmacht atrocities will become well known in the West nonetheless. Germany can muddy the waters, it can even destroy some evidence but, in the end, the scale of the killings was so enormous that keeping it hidden is impossible. You can parallel it with OTL's Armenian Genocide -- while Turkey officially denies it, the rest of the World has little doubts about it.

Chapter 79. Six Months After the Dome (Part I)
Chapter 79. Six Months After the Dome (Part I)

Preamble

After the short apparent stability of the Interbellum, the Second World War changed the World for ever. However profound those changes though, they would pale in comparison with what came after the end of the War.

Starting with the next set of chapters (81-90), we will focus on the aftermath of World War Two but, until then, we shall take a quick look around the World at and around the semi-anniversary of the Berlin Dome (17 July 1945).

The Politico-Military Blocs

The end of the War, both in Western Europe and the Pacific, heralded the emergence of a tripolar World in which, with the exception of a few neutrals, the countries of the World would align to one of three major politico-military blocs: the Communist (Soviet) Bloc in central Eurasia, the European (German) Bloc in Europe and the Mediterranean and the Western (American / British) Bloc in the rest of the World.

While the relations between the Western Powers and the Soviet Union were frosty and those between the Western Powers and Germany at least cautious, Germany and the Soviet Union were still at war, with minor naval skirmishes in the Outer Baltic and the occasional bombings and commando actions on the Soviet side of the Dome.

The Communist Bloc consisted of a bloated Soviet Union (which had annexed parts of Finland, Estonia, Outer Latvia, Outer Lithuania, Outer Poland, Outer Slovakia, Carpatho-Ruthenia, Romania, Bulgaria, parts of Turkey, parts of Iran, Tuva), its puppets (Outer Hungary, East Turkestan, Mongolia) and its allies (Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece, Syria).

The Soviet Union was in an unenviable position. The German invasion had brought with it a disaster of enormous proportions, with immense suffering, millions killed and the most developed parts of the Union utterly destroyed. Then, when the Germans had been finally repulsed and Berlin seemed within reach, the unthinkable happened: the German Dome trapped three million Soviet soldiers behind it, eventually leading to the annihilation of the entire Inner Red Army after the Polish betrayal.

Denied access to the heart of Europe, Stalin chose to expand southwards instead. The annexation of Romania, Bulgaria and parts of Iran and Turkey together with the Communist victory in Greece suggested that everything was just fine for the Soviets but nothing could have been further from the truth. With both its workforce and armies almost depleted, with its economy and infrastructure in ruins, internationally isolated after the February split with the Western Powers and with its logistics grossly overextended, the Soviet Union struggled to fight vicious insurgencies in the Baltic States, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey and keep its population fed, clothed and housed.

To all those challanges, the Communist Regime responded with its usual brutality: millions were deported to Siberia or Central Asia, hundreds of thousands were arrested, tried in Kangaroo Courts, imprisoned, sent to the Gulag or executed. The Red Terror, which had been slightly relaxed during the war, had returned in full force. The most targeted ethnic groups were the Latvians, the Lithuanians, the Poles, the Hungarians, the Turks and those Soviet ethnicities deemed to have collaborated with the German invaders such as the Crimean Tatars, the Cossacks, the Chechens and many others. By the end of the year, the ethnographic map of the Soviet Union was significantly altered.

However, Stalin knew that he was living on borrowed time. Safe behind the accursed Dome, Germany was only going to get stronger and it was only a matter of time until it would develop nuclear weapons to strike against the defenceless Soviet Union. Stalin had two choices: to conclude a humiliating peace with Germany just like the Western Powers or to grow stronger, develop nuclear weapons and better anti-aircraft and anti-missile defences and basically brace for impact.

The secret peace negotiations between the Soviet Union and Germany faltered quickly when the Germans categorically refused to betray their minor allies. Peace with Germany meant peace with the whole European Community of Nations, many members of which had extensive territory on the Soviet side of the Dome, territory which ought to have been evacuated. The Soviet Union would have reverted to its 1938 borders, losing the Baltic States, the Kresy, Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary. It was simply unacceptable.

On the other hand, the Soviet Nuclear Programme also took a hit when the presence of Soviet spies inside the Manhattan Project was revealed by the robots from the future. The most optimistic estimates placed the first Soviet Atomic Bomb in 1949 or even in 1950. It could have been too late but doing nothing was not an option so the Nuclear Programme continued to inch forward.

The Soviet puppets (the People's Republic of Hungary, the People's Republic of East Turkestan and the People's Republic of Mongolia), with no international recognition beyond the Soviet Bloc, were Soviet Republics in all but name. Outer Hungary had not been annexed in order to maintain a claim on Inner Hungary and East Turkestan and Mongolia because of the hope of a Communist victory in China.

The Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia was a Communist State, almost completely alligned with the Soviet Union, especially after the death of its charismatic leader, Iosip Broz Tito.

Yugoslavia had a number of issues: internal ethnic strife, especially between Serbs and Croats and between Serbs and Albanians, sporadic but deadly Ustashe incursions from the other side of the Dome, tensions with Italy and the Westerns Powers over American occupied Krk, Yugoslav annexed Zara, Yugoslav claims in Lagosta, Fiume, Cherso and Istria, Albanian claims in Kosovo and Macedonia and Bulgarian claims in Macedonia and small bits of Eastern Serbia.

Stalin's offer to send the Red Army to patrol the Outer Dome perimeter was politely rejected by the Yugoslav Presidium.

In July, after a period of vacillation, Stalin allowed the Yugoslavs to enter peace negotiations with Italy in order to secure Yugoslavia's Western flank. At the same time, the Soviets, the Yugoslavs and the Greeks began a series of secret talks regarding a possible partition of Albania and Macedonia.

The People's Republic of Albania was a Communist State, almost completely alligned with the Soviet Union, led by the hard core Communist Enver Hoxha.

Albania had a very unpleasant problem with the anti-communist insurgency of the Balli Kombëtar, territorial claims in Yugoslavia (Kosovo, parts of Macedonia, etc) and an area claimed by Greece (Northern Epirus).

Greece was an oddity. Although enthusiastically Communist after the Soviet backed annexation of Eastern Thrace, Constantinople and Ionia, Greece was still a monarchy (a referendum was to be held in the autumn), the Greek King was a Communist sympathyser and Orthodox religious fervour was at an all time high after the reconsecration of the Hagia Sophia.

In the annexed territories, horrible attrocities against the Muslim population were commonplace. More than one million Turks had already fled or were fleeing in terror to rump Turkey.

Syria was a conjuncture ally of the Soviet Union. Its Baath Arab Socialist Party was more Arab Nationalist than Socialist and its dictatorship presented some unmistaken Fascist elements.

Syria was too remote for the Soviet Union to exercise a meaningful amount of influence upon its Government but, in exchange for a large amount of cash, it leased the Tartus military harbour to the Soviet Union for 25 years.

Syria hoped to overthrow the Arab monarchies of Iraq and Transjordan, boot the British from Palestine and unite all the Levant under its rule. However, Syria could not count on any Soviet military assistance as the Soviets were unwilling to aggravate the Western Powers.

The Western Bloc consisted of the United States, its dependencies and Latin American allies (the American Sphere of Influence), the United Kingdom, its dependencies and Middle Eastern allies (the British Sphere of Influence), the British Dominions and their dependencies and, finally, China.

The United States of America, with its vast human and natural resources, immense industrial potential and very powerful military, with its home territory spared the horrors of war, a booming economy and plenty of cash, was a veritable juggernaut, surely the most powerful country in the World.

In July, after the much publicized nuclear test Trinity, the United States became the first and sole nuclear power, position which it enjoyed for a good number of years.

After the surrender of Japan, the occupation of the Pacific Mandate, Okinawa, Taiwan, Karafuto, Korea and selected areas of the Japanese Home Islands proceeded smoothly with few instances of Japanese extremists' attacks and a small number of American abuses against the civilian population.

Of course, nothing worthwhile mentioning happened in Latin America (Nothing ever happens in South America). Sorry. Maybe later... Okay, not maybe. Surely, but still later.

The United States had so far expanded its territory with the addition of Greenland (and Jan Mayen), the Netherlands Antilles, the unclaimed Antarctic Sector (and Peter I Island), the Pacific Mandate (Micronesia) and Korea (Protectorate to be prepared for independence like the Philippines). The territorial expansion was not supposed to end there.

The United States claimed a Sphere of Influence in the Americas and the Pacific and expressed its general disinterest in other regions. The famous Monroe Doctrine was officially augmented with the unambiguous statement that the European Colonizer Powers should leave the Americas and the Pacific as soon as possible. Britain was amenable to some compromises. France was not.

The United Kingdom, a shadow of its former self, was plagued by numerous problems: a massive debt acquired during the war, virtually impossible to pay back with no victorious conclusion of the war, a looming German power controlling the European mainland and the clear realization that Colonialism was untennable, even on a short to medium time frame.

British Borneo (Sarawak, North Borneo and Brunei) was under Indonesian occupation and Britain decided that, although its liberation was feasable, it was simply not worth the trouble.

Malaya was under the control of the local Malays. While Singapore and Penang proved easy to capture as the Chinese majorities did not oppose the British, most of mainland Malaya and especially the jungles of the interior called for a long and protracted campaign.

Most of Burma was under the control of the local Bamar (Burmese) People. A seaborne invasion was deemed too costly while a land invasion using the large Indian Army presented the very real and unpleasant possibility that the Indians would be difficult to dislodge afterwards.

In any case, the independence referenda scheduled for the following year had a very high chance of succeeding, with independence to follow in five years. However, the United Kingdom hoped to still have the soon to be former colonies alligned to it in some kind of Dominion arrangement.

India was scheduled for independence in two years and the uptime information strongly tilted the balance against partition. The problem was that, with India gone, the main reason for the other colonial possessions east of the Suez was also gone. In fact, almost all the other colonies were not profitable, some of them even being massive money sinks.

Some colonies could be transferred to the Dominions, especially those in their proximity. Such transfers had been done before and had proved to be highly successful. Australia, New Zealand and Canada had no issues but something had to be done about the upcoming Apartheid problem in South Africa.

The issue of the African Colonies was however more thorny. Most of them were certainly not profitable and keeping them was rather expensive but selling them or granting independence were not good options either. The only possible buyer was France which did not seem to contemplate preparing its own colonies for independence. On the other hand, immediate independence could result in disaster as their peoples were clearly not prepared to govern themselves to the standards of a Western country. Insane dictatorships like those of Bokassa or Idi Amin, destructive civil wars like in Rwanda or Congo, kleptocracies like in Nigeria or Ghana, military dictatorships like in Guinea or Sudan or murders of White settlers like in Rhodesia or Kenia were unfortunately more likely than stable democratic regimes.

The friendly monarchies of the Middle East, Iran, Iraq, Oman, Transjordan, Egypt, should be kept stable and friendly, with bribes is necessary, and scared by the infamous spectre of Islamic Revolution and fundamentalism. Obviously, Saudi Arabia had to be obliterated. The ruling families from the Trucial States were not much good either. Many problems, few real options there.

Crete and the Dodecanese were ceded to Greece without further delay. The almost unanimous desire of the population to live in a Socialist country was baffling but undeniable and keeping them against their will and against International Law would have made very bad publicity. Carefully timed referenda for the continued association with the United Kingdom in Cyprus, Malta and Gibraltar would be hopefully won by the loyalists.

China was still living in interesting times. Its archenemy had officially surrendered but the Kwantung Army had retreated to Manchuria and dug in, refusing to surrender the territory. While the Kwantung Army could not last very long without the backing of Japan, the Communist insurgents lead by Mao enjoyed the backing of an overly aggressive Soviet Union which controlled important Chinese territories (East Turkestan and Outer Mongolia).

Other small annoyances, which could be presumably dealt with later, were Tibet, the remaining European strongholds on the Coast and the unpleasant issue of Taiwan and its upcoming referendum.

The Neutral Countries were, for various reasons, either unable or unwilling to join any of the blocs.

(Outer) France was clearly a very poor loser. Bitter and paranoid, betrayed by its erstwhile allies and left to its own devices close to the borders of a soon to be resurgent Germany, the French Republic embarked on a dangerous path: increased militarisation including an embryonic nuclear programme, autoritarianism, violent crackdown on any opposition, be it Communists or mere Pacifists, a catastrophic colonial war in Indochina or conflicts with its European neighbours.

The Western (mainly American and British) troops began to leave Outer France in June.

While Germany was not (yet) ready for a military action to oust de Gaulle or did not greenlight it due to public opinion reasons, the situation in Western Europe would remain tense.

For Romandy (French Switzerland) and the Vatican City, complete neutrality was almost a raison d'être. Their neutral status was expected to last.

The neutrality of Iceland-Faroe was decided in the Bern Armistice Treaty due to its strategically important position in the northern Atlantic. The Western forces stationed there were to leave before the end of the year. Although militarily neutral, Iceland-Faroe was leaning towards Germany due to the inclusion of the other Scandinavian Nations in the European Community of Nations.

Ireland remained neutral, despite its ongoing dispute with the United Kingdom over Northern Ireland. Like Iceland-Faroe, Ireland began to lean towards the ECN, although joining it was, at least for the time being, out of the question.

With a Authoritarian Conservative and Nationalist Regime in power, Portugal was clearly closer to the ECN than to the Western Powers but joining it would have resulted in the loss of most of its colonies. Like France and unlike the United Kingdom, Portugal was determined to avoid the mistakes made in the other history and, for better or for worse, keep its colonies, or at least most of them.

Finland was neutral per the 1944 Moscow Armistice Treaty and, barring a collapse of the Soviet Union, was supposed to stay so for the foreseable future.

Rump Turkey was also neutral, although heavily pro-Western. However, the Western Powers refused to issue any guarantees due to their unwillingness to confront the Soviet Union which was still deemed an useful counterweight to Germany.

As the only Christian majority Arab State, Lebanon was and intended to remain neutral, although Western-leaning.

A former Western alligned country, Saudi Arabia was castigated due to events which happened in the other history, the excesses of its form of Islam, its material support for dangerous terrorist groups and especially its involvement in the short but devastating nuclear war of 2043.

Although still neutral at that time, we already know from the previous chapter that both Italy and Norway would join the ECN as soon as all foreign troops left their territories.

Other neutral countries such as Afghanistan, Bhutan or Ruanda-Urundi had no meaningful input in international politics in any case.

Siam and the new internationally unrecognized countries in South-East Asia were a special case and will be covered in chapters dealing with important events taking place in that area.

This discussion will be continued in the following chapter, "Six Months After the Dome (Part II)". There, we will cover the latest developments in the Member States of the European Community of Nations.

After the obligatory Eighth Recapitulation, assorted maps and other useful data, we will enter the final phase of the timeline (final but not short, don't worry), in which each chapter will cover increasingly longer periods of time on a specific country, region or subject.

Last edited:
Greece without further delay. The almost unanimous desire of the population to live in a Socialist country was baffling but undeniable and keeping them against their will and against International Law would have made very bad publicity.
Ahahaha yes it's the socialism, not resurgent national consciousness as Greece manages to somehow bind together Communist theory and traditional Orthodoxy and blatantly plays Stalin's cultural and ideological biases against Turkey to make Russian soldiers die for the belated realization of the Megali Idea.

What are the odds the Soviet-administered zones in Anatolia will be pacified by encouraging loyal Greeks to settle there, given that Russians are likely pining for the Baltic States to do the same?

A former Western alligned country, Saudi Arabia was castigated due to events which happened in the other history, the excesses of its form of Islam, its material support for dangerous terrorist groups and especially its involvement in the short but devastating nuclear war of 2043.
Good riddance. The fact that fission and fusion are well ahead of schedule will likely gut the importance of their oil deposits and with it, the country itself.

Obviously, Saudi Arabia had to be obliterated
seems a bit harsh. It was also an US ally and obliterate the entire country for what it did in another future, maybe depose its rulers stably but obliterate it and not let it exist (or maybe obliterate means depose in the context)? And wonder what's with the trucial states also having to be thought about

Last edited:
1. Ahahaha yes it's the socialism, not resurgent national consciousness as Greece manages to somehow bind together Communist theory and traditional Orthodoxy and blatantly plays Stalin's cultural and ideological biases against Turkey to make Russian soldiers die for the belated realization of the Megali Idea.

2. What are the odds the Soviet-administered zones in Anatolia will be pacified by encouraging loyal Greeks to settle there, given that Russians are likely pining for the Baltic States to do the same?

3. Good riddance. The fact that fission and fusion are well ahead of schedule will likely gut the importance of their oil deposits and with it, the country itself.
1. Yes, the Greeks were smart here.

2. Very low, because the Greeks already have large areas to settle (Eastern Thrace, Constantinople, Ionia) and a rather low population.

3. That's the plan, yes.

seems a bit harsh. It was also an US ally and obliterate the entire country for what it did in another future, maybe depose its rulers stably but obliterate it and not let it exist (or maybe obliterate means depose in the context)? And wonder what's with the trucial states also having to be thought about
Yes, obliterate means destroy completely, but it was in the paragraphs about the British Empire. Yes, the British Empire thinks that a sovereign country must be conquered and partitioned by its neighbours. Yes, that's not ok but it's in character for an Empire.

Moreover, to destroy a country in the Arab World means nothing for its inhabitants. They are all Arabs and should not care very much which King is ruling them. This is not 2018 when there are some national identities formed there. In 1946 they were all Arabs and their states were less than one generation old. The location of the borders meant very little for the local population. It's not Europe.

Chapter 80. Six Months After the Dome (Part II)
Chapter 80. Six Months After the Dome (Part II)

Continued from here.

The European Community of Nations was discussed here.

In this chapter, we will present specific developments in individual Member States of the European Community of Nations in the period immediately before to shortly after the birth of the organization. Italy (which joined in August) and Norway (which joined in November) will be covered as well.

However, before we start, a parenthesis about the Start of the Decline of Colonialism is in order.

Below, there is a list of countries which:
  • before World War Two, possessed non-self-governing territories (Colonies, Protectorates, Dependencies, etc) but,
  • after World War Two, did not possess any non-self-governing territories anymore because
    • they sold, ceded or granted independence to their overseas territories under Western Powers pressure and / or
    • they annexed the territories close to the mainland, thus giving them representation as integral parts of the country (those underlined in the list below).

Norway
  • Queen Maud Land (Antarctic Sector, Uninhabited), sold to the United Kingdom in 1945, merged with the British Antarctic Sector
  • Peter I Island (Antarctic Island, Uninhabited), sold to the United States in 1945, attached to the American Antarctic Sector
  • Bouvet Island (Subantarctic Island, Uninhabited), sold to the United Kingdom in 1945, attached to the British Southern Atlantic Islands
  • Jan Mayen (Arctic Island, Uninhabited), sold to the United States in 1945, attached to the Greenland Territory
  • Svalbard (Arctic Archipelago, Territory with Special Status, Spitzbergen Treaty), annexed to Norway proper in 1945 as a Special County, demilitarized

Denmark
  • Iceland, granted independence in 1944, under Western Powers occupation until late 1945
  • Faroe Islands, granted independence in 1945, merged with Iceland into the Federation of Iceland-Faroe in 1945, under Western Powers occupation until late 1945
  • Greenland, sold to the United States in 1945, organized as the Greenland Territory

Netherlands

• Netherlands East Indies, occupied by Japan in 1942, granted independence in 1945 as the Republic of Indonesia
  • West Papua, occupied by Japan in 1942, sold to Australia in 1945, merged with Australian New Guinea and Australian Papua into the External Territory of Papua New Guinea
  • Netherlands Guyana, sold to the United Kingdom in 1945, merged with British Guyana
  • Netherlands Antilles, sold to the United States in 1945, merged with the U.S. Virgin Islands and Navassa into the U.S. Antilles Territory

Belgium
(itself partitioned into Flanders and Wallonia, which later merged with the Netherlands and, respectively, Inner France)
  • Belgian Congo, annexed by France in 1945, attached to French Equatorial Africa
  • Ruanda-Urundi (LoN Mandate), granted independence in 1945 as the Federation of Ruanda-Urundi

Italy

• Ethiopia, independence restored in 1943
  • Eritrea, ceded to Ethiopia in 1945, annexed as an Autonomous Province
  • Italian Somalia, ceded to the United Kingdom in 1945, merged with British Somaliland into the Protectorate of Somalia
  • Libya, partitioned in 1944 into Cyrenaica (British occupation), Tripolitania (British occupation) and the Fezzan (French occupation)
  • Cyrenaica, annexed to Italy proper in 1945 as an Autonomous Region
  • Tripolitania, annexed to Italy proper in 1945 as an Autonomous Region
  • Fezzan, ceded to France in 1945, attached to French West Africa
  • Rhodes and the Dodecanese, ceded to Greece in 1945, annexed as a Prefecture
  • [All war-time annexations were lost.]

Germany

• [All claims over former German or Austrian overseas territories were dropped in the Bern Armistice Treaty in 1945.]

Spain

• Spanish Guinea, ceded in the Tangier Treaty in 1945 (see below)
  • Spanish Sahara, ceded in the Tangier Treaty in 1945 (see below)
  • Spanish Morocco (Protectorate), annexed to Spain proper in 1945 as the Rif Region (see below)
  • Tangier (International City under Spanish occupation), annexed to Spain proper in 1945, merged into the Rif (see below)
  • [The Canary Islands were already part of Spain proper.]

Japan
  • Korea, ceded to the United States in 1945, organized as a Protectorate preparing for full independence
  • [All Japanese possessions in mainland China were ceded back to China in 1945.]
  • The Pacific Mandate (LoN Mandate), ceded to the United States in 1945, merged with Guam and several U.S. Minor Islands into the Micronesia Territory
  • [All war-time annexations were lost.]
  • [Referenda scheduled for 1946 in Karafuto and Taiwan were to either make those territories integral parts of Japan or transfer them to Russia and, respectively, China (in a future chapter).]

Oman
  • Gwadar (port in India), ceded to India in 1946 (more about India in a future chapter)

Thus, the only European countries which still had non-self-governing territories after 1945 were Portugal, (Outer) France and the United Kingdom.

The Non-European countries which had non-self-governing territories after 1945 were the United States, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (which only acquired them in 1945).

During the following years, more non-self-governing territories were either integrated into the mainland or granted independence (like in OTL but with different timings, some earlier, others significantly later). More information about Colonial developments will be available in future chapters.

And now, back to the Member States of the European Community of Nations.

Norway

After the fall of the Quisling Administration in Inner Norway, the departure of the last German troops and the subsequent opening of Norwegian portion of the Dome, both Inner Norway and the Swedish administered Halden Triangle were reintegrated into Norway. A Norwegian-Swedish Treaty specified that in case that, for whatever reasons, the Dome would be closed again, Inner Sweden would automatically take over the administration of the Halden Triangle for the entire duration of the crisis.

The money received for the sold possessions ($4,500,000 for Queen Maud Land, $100,000 for Peter I Island, $150,000 for Bouvet Island and $1,250,000 for Jan Mayen), as well as the money spent by the American soldiers in Norway were a welcome addition to the meagre resources of the just liberated Nordic country.

The Soviet Union kept its commitment and vacated Finnmark by the end of October, transferring the large but thinly inhabited Arctic County back to Norwegian Administration.

In November, the Soviet Union ceded the Petsamo Province¹ (without the Rybachy Peninsula) back to Finland for reasons which are debated by historians to this day. The official reason of the land transfer was to allow Finland access to international trade via the Arctic Ocean ice free port of Petsamo because the Baltic Sea remained closed by the Dome, from the Finnish point of view being, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to a lake. Other possible reasons might have been the Soviet desire to have a neutral buffer between Murmansk and Norway which was expected to join the ECN, a desire to improve its relations with Finland, financial incentives, etc. The Soviets retained ownership of the valuable mines from the province.

1. The Petsamo Province had been ceded by Soviet Russia to the newly independent Finland in 1921. After the Winter War, the Petsamo Province, with the exception of the small Finnish part of the Rybachy Peninsula, had remained Finnish. The Soviet Union had only annexed it after the end of the Continuation War, in the September 1944 Moscow Armistice Treaty. A map will follow shortly.

With no more Soviet forces on its territory and no longer sharing a border with the Soviet Union, Norway was free to join the ECN, which it did on the 30th of November 1945. The last American forces left by the end of the year.

The Spitzbergen Treaty was annuled with the accord of all parts involved. Svalbard remained completely demitarized but, in all other aspects, it became an ordinary Norwegian County. All remaining Russian settlers were removed by the end of the year.

Sweden

With the opening of the Swedish mainland sector of the Dome, the only part of Sweden still bisected remained the small isolated uninhabited Baltic Sea island of Gotska Sandön, all of which was a nature preserve.

Denmark

Most of the money received for Greenland (cca. $58,000,000 out of a total of $75,000,000) were paid to Germany who formally dropped all its claims on Danish Northern Schleswig (the larger portion north of the Tiedje Line).

The Netherlands

After Germany greenlighted it, the electorates from both the Netherlands and Flanders voted the absorbtion of Flanders into the Netherlands with 68% of the votes in the Netherlands and 74% in Flanders.

The United Netherlands, on behalf of Flanders, signed a secret treaty with France in which the Netherlands dropped its claims on Outer Flanders (the small Poperinge Area, under French occupation) and France dropped its claims on the French majority Flemish Capital Brussels. A week later, France annexed the Poperinge Area. The backlash in Flanders was minor, with the issue being on the front page of the newspapers for less than two weeks.

Part of the money received for its former colonies ($62,000,000 for the Netherlands Guyana, $255,000,000 for the Netherlands Antilles and 30,000,000 for West Papua) was used to support the relatively poorer Flanders.

Inner France (the French State)

Embarrassed by the Rexiste Dictatorship of SS Commander Léon Degrelle who had openly supported the SS uprising in the Reich, the post-Nazi German Government allowed Pétain to take over Wallonia.

The war between Inner France and Wallonia was short and almost bloodless. Faced with an overwhelming French invasion on the whole breadth of their common undefended border and having no love for their leader, the Walloon soldiers deserted or surrendered en masse.

Only elements of the SS Walloon Legion put up a semi-coherent fight at the outskirts of Charleroi, inflicting about six hundred casualties on the advancing French armies.

Four days after the invasion began, the Walloon Government surrendered unconditionally.

The French Government announced the debellatio of the Walloon State and annexed it as a Federal Unit in an Assymetric Federation composed of Inner France, Wallonia and the former Swiss Canton of Jura, recently expelled from German Switzerland.

After losing both Flanders and Wallonia, King Leopold III left for Estoril where he lived for the remainder of his life.

Degrelle attempted to flee the country but was apprehended and faced trial for treason. He was quickly acquitted and emigrated to Portugal to join his King in exile.

A referendum to show support for the annexation was organized later and it passed with 86% of the votes in favour. With the exception of the ECN members, international recognition for the annexation of Wallonia was slow.

German Switzerland

With its name changed from the Swiss Confederation into German Switzerland, its currency changed from the Swiss Franc to the Swiss Mark and the sole official language being German, the French speaking Canton of Jura no longer belonged there and, after some heated constitutional arguments, was expelled from the Confederation. Too small and poor to stand on its own, Jura joined the a new Federation with Inner France and Wallonia after being theoretically independent for less than two days.

The Swiss Government received a solemn guarantee that, although Germany considered that German Switzerland should join the Reich, it would not try to force the issue, neither by invading it nor by other means. In exchange, German Switzerland agreed to hold unification referenda every five years.

After de Gaulle's threatened to bomb Germany's allies, the Capital of German Switzerland was moved from the exposed Bern to the safely tucked behind the Dome Zürich.

Italy

Despite the previous poll results which invariably showed a small support for a Republic, the Italian electorate voted 52.3% in favour of keeping the Monarchy. The forty years old King Umberto II was triumphant. The rural, traditional, southern part of the country had democratically imposed its will over the more urbanized north with its numerous anti-Monarchist Communists and Fascists.

Italy had lost the Africa Orientale Italiana (to Ethiopia and the United Kingdom), Fezzan (to France), the Dodecanese (to Greece), Aosta (ceded to neutral French speaking Romandy instead of Outer France who coveted it), South Tyrol proper (but not Trentino), the Canal Valley, Gorizia and Trieste (to Germany), had Inner Valtellina, Inner Lombardy, Inner Trentino, Inner Venice, Tripolitania and Cyrenaica returned and had gained Ticino and the Italian parts of Graubünden.

The unilateral Yugoslav annexation of Zara had not been officially recognized, although it was one of the preconditions for the Peace Treaty with Yugoslavia which was under discussion at that time.

The Bern Armistice Treaty mandated the creation of four Autonomous Regions:
  • Italian Switzerland (Svizzera Italiana), composed of Ticino (Inner and Outer), the Italian parts of Graubünden (Inner and Outer) and Valtellina (Inner and Outer)
  • Trentino (Inner and Outer)
  • the Slovene Autonomous Region in northern Istria, which was supposed to vote whether to join German Slovenia together with Yugoslav Outer Slovenia after a future fall of Communist Yugoslavia
  • the Croat Autonomous Region in Eastern Istria, Fiume, Cherso, Lagosta and Cazzo (but not Pelagosa), which was supposed to vote whether to join a reunited Croatia together with Krk and Yugoslav Outer Croatia after the future fall of Communist Yugoslavia

After the annexation of Tripolitania and Cyrenaica they were organized as Autonomous Regions as well due to their remoteness, particular conditions and large Muslim population.

Due to significant popular demand, a further three Autonomous Regions were created: Istria in the majority Italian Western Istria, Sicily (Sicilia) and Sardinia (Sardegna), occupying the eponymous islands, rising the total number of Autonomous Regions to nine.

Later, those 9 Autonomous Regions were joined by 15 (ordinary) Regions created from the consolidation of the much smaller Italian Provinces. (map soon)

The Western occupation forces began to retreat from Italy, with the exception of the small American military presence in Istria, Fiume, Cherso, Lagosta, Cazzo and Pelagosa where it was very much desired to act as a buffer against a possible Yugoslav or Soviet aggression.

Spain

Spanish Guinea and Spanish Sahara were utterly useless, difficult to defend, hindered the membership in the ECN and would have been lost later anyway. Franco decided to part with them and incorporate territories closer to home instead (the Protectorate of Spanish Morocco / the Rif, the International City of Tangier and the Franco-Spanish Principality of Andorra).

The hastily negotiated Treaty of Tangier between Spain and France left the French happy with large but ultimately useless colonial gains (except for the pride of painting the map blue). Its main points were the following (maps soon):
  • The Colony of Spanish Guinea was dissolved.
  • Spain ceded the mainland of Spanish Guinea (Rio Muni) to France (attached to French Equatorial Africa); Spain retained the islands of Fernando Pó and Annobón, only to sell them to Portugal one month later (joined to São Tomé and Príncipe in the Portuguese Guinea Islands).
  • The Colony of Spanish Sahara was dissolved.
  • Spain ceded Rio de Oro (and a small triangle in the south-east of Saguia el Hamra) to France (attached to French West Africa).
  • Spain ceded the bulk of Saguia el Hamra to the French Protectorate of Morocco.
  • Spain ceded Cape Juby to the French Protectorate of Morocco.
  • Spain ceded Ifni to the French Protectorate of Morocco.
  • The Sultan of Morocco (under significant French pressure) renounced all Moroccan claims to the Rif, the Canary Islands, Tangier, Ceuta and Melilla.
  • France (and the French Protectorate of Morocco) allowed Spain to annex the Rif.
  • France (and the French Protectorate of Morocco) allowed Spain to annex the International City of Tangier. France renounced all its rights in the International City of Tangier
  • France ceded to Spain all its rights in the Co-Principality of Andorra. Charles de Gaulle abdicated as Co-Prince of Andorra. France allowed Spain to annex Andorra.
2. Tangier had been an International City under the joint administration of France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden and the United States until the 1940 unilateral Spanish occupation. Belgium did not exist anymore, the Netherlands, Sweden, Italy and Portugal acceded to the treaty during the following months while the United Kingdom and the United States renounced their claims later.

The Eastern Countries

Nothing particularly notable happened in Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia (and the microstates of Estonia, Romania and Bulgaria) during the summer of 1945.

There was widespread poverty with borderline famine in some areas, enormous destruction caused by the war (especially in Poland which had to fight the Soviets after the end of the war with the Germans), interethnic tensions, political instability and other ills. The recovery was difficult and slow as Germany was in no position to help its allies due to its own severe financial problems.

The German Reich

The situation in Germany during the summer deserves its own chapter (or more).

Recapitulation #8
Recapitulation #8

Scope: Chapters 71 - 80

Time period: June - July 1945 (a little less in Germany, a little more in other places).

Main events
  • Japan surrenders conditionally.
  • Germany admits that the Dome is a gift from the future.
  • The Leni Riefenstahl documentary Das Hirn is released to much acclamation.
  • Adolf Hitler (the AI) resigns as Reich President.
  • The Soviet Union invades Turkey after an impossible ultimatum.
  • Greece and then Syria join the war against Turkey.
  • Eastern Thrace, Istanbul, Izmir and other areas are occupied.
  • Turkey capitulates and cedes half of its territory to the Soviet Union (Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia, Kurdistan), Greece and Syria but maintains its independence as a rump state.
  • Germany and the Western Powers sign the Bern Armistice Treaty, recognizing the borders of Germany and its hegemony in mainland Europe.
  • The Robots are recognized as non-human persons.
  • The Hirn, Obersalzberg and Liechtenstein are organized as Special Districts (Sonderkreise).
  • Hitler is granted immunity to prosecution.
  • Olaf is removed from Hitler's skull and replaced with a new purposefully build Core.
  • The robots offer important future scientific and technological help to Germany.
  • Adolphine, Hilter and Eva move to the Berghof.
  • A series of constitutional referenda in Germany is scheduled for the summer.
  • Eva is pregnant and Hitler resumes painting.
  • In a so called "History Symposium" held in Berlin, Helga informs the representatives of the various attending countries of their would be future.
  • Germany and the countries in its Sphere of Influence plus Spain found an international organization called the European Community of Nations, with military, economical, political and miscellanious attributions.
  • The Soviet Union evacuates Norwegian Finnmark and cedes Petsamo back to Finland.
  • Flanders joins the Netherlands.
  • Inner France occupies and annexes Wallonia, ousting the dictatorship of Degrelle and King Leopold III.
  • Jura is expelled from German Switzerland and joins Inner France.
  • Italy narrowly votes to retain its Monarchy.
  • A number of Autonomous Regions are created in Italy.
  • In the Treaty of Tangiers, Spain cedes all its colonies and annexes the Rif, Tangiers and Andorra.

Premature deaths in TTL
  • A large number of Turkish, Soviet, Greek and Syrian soldiers
  • Numerous Turkish civilians
  • A small number of Inner French and Walloon soldiers

Status of World War Two
  • Pacific Theatre
    • Japanese Conditional Surrender
    • Partial American Occupation in Japan
    • Kwantung Army gone rogue in Manchuria
    • The de facto States set up by Japan in the occupied European Colonies do not welcome back their former colonial masters
    • Manhattan Project completed with atomic weapons never used in war
  • European Theatre
    • Armistice with Germany
    • All fighting ceased
  • Parallel Conflicts
    • Low level insurgencies

Status of Peace Negotiations
  • Signed a peace treaty: Negotiations ongoing
  • Signed an armistice treaty / normalization of relations: All former Western Allies with the exception of (Outer) France
  • Engaged in discussions: Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece
  • Not even under consideration: (Outer) France, the Soviet Union

Cast of Characters (in order of appearance)

Uptime (2189): Connection permanently severed. No further information regarding the Uptime Universe will be available.

[List] Countries & Dependencies (August 1945)
Sovereign Countries & Dependencies
August 1945
Previous: February 1945, May 1945
Changes in Red. Occupied / Claimed Territories in Italics.

United States of America
Great Power, Federation, Western Bloc
  • Korea (Protectorate, prepared for independence in 1950)
  • Philippines (Protectorate, prepared for independence in 1946)
  • Alaska (Territory)
  • American Antilles (Territory, including the U.S. Virgin Islands)
  • American Samoa (Territory)
  • Greenland (Territory, including Jan Mayen)
  • Guam (Territory)
  • Hawaii (Territory)
  • Micronesia (Territory, ceded by Japan)
  • Panama Canal Zone (Territory)
  • Puerto Rico (Territory)
  • Uninhabited Minor Islands (including Canton and Enderbury Islands, Clipperton Island)
  • Antarctic Claim (Marie Byrd Land, including Peter I Island)

United Kingdom
Great Power, Western Bloc
  • New Hebrides (Condominium with France)
  • Sudan (Condominium with Egypt)
  • Guernsey (Crown Dependency)
  • Isle of Man (Crown Dependency)
  • Jersey (Crown Dependency)
  • India (Empire, prepared for independence in 1947)
  • Bahrain (Protectorate)
  • Basutoland (Protectorate)
  • Bechuanaland (Protectorate)
  • Somalia (Protectorate, including former British Somaliland and former Italian Somalia)
  • Brunei (Protectorate; under Indonesian Occupation, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Kuwait (Protectorate)
  • Maldive Islands (Protectorate)
  • Northern Rhodesia (Protectorate)
  • Nyasaland (Protectorate)
  • Palestine (Protectorate, unlimited Jewish immigration for a future "Jewish Homeland")
  • Qatar (Protectorate)
  • Sarawak (Protectorate, under Indonesian Occupation, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Swaziland (Protectorate)
  • Tanganika (Protectorate)
  • Transjordan (Protectorate, prepared for independence in 1946)
  • Trucial States (Protectorate)
  • Zanzibar (Protectorate)
  • Aden (Crown Colony and Protectorate)
  • Gambia (Crown Colony and Protectorate)
  • Kenya (Crown Colony and Protectorate)
  • Malaya (Crown Colony and Federation of Protectorates, under local control, referenda scheduled for 1946)
  • Nigeria (Crown Colony and Protectorate, including the British Cameroons)
  • Sierra Leone (Crown Colony and Protectorate)
  • Bahamas Islands (Crown Colony)
  • Barbados (Crown Colony)
  • Bermuda (Crown Colony)
  • British Guiana (Crown Colony, including Suriname)
  • British Honduras (Crown Colony)
  • British Leeward Islands (Crown Colony)
  • British Western Pacific Territories (Crown Colony)
  • British Windward Islands (Crown Colony)
  • Burma (Crown Colony, under local control, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Ceylon (Crown Colony)
  • Cyprus (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Falkland Islands (Crown Colony)
  • Gibraltar (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Gold Coast (Crown Colony, including British Togoland)
  • Hong Kong (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Jamaica (Crown Colony)
  • Malta (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Mauritius (Crown Colony)
  • Newfoundland (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • North Borneo (Crown Colony, under Indonesian Occupation, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Saint Helena (Crown Colony)
  • Seychelles (Crown Colony)
  • Southern Rhodesia (Crown Colony, referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Suez Canal Zone (Crown Colony)
  • Trinidad and Tobago (Crown Colony)
  • Uganda (Crown Colony)
  • Uninhabited Minor Islands (including Bouvet Island)
  • Antarctic Claim (including Queen Maud Land)

Canada
British Dominion, Federation, Western Bloc

Australia
  • Nauru (Territory)
  • Norfolk Island (Territory)
  • Papua New Guinea (Territory, including Papua, New Guinea and West Papua)
  • Uninhabited Minor Islands (including Heard and McDonald Islands)
  • Antarctic Claim (two sectors)

New Zealand
British Dominion, Western Bloc
  • Cook Islands (Dependency)
  • Niue Island (Dependency)
  • Union Islands (Dependency)
  • Western Samoa (Dependency)
  • Uninhabited Minor Islands
  • Antarctic Claim

South Africa
  • South-West Africa (integral part)

Soviet Union
Great Power, Federation, Socialist country
  • Occupied East Turkestan (China)
  • Occupied Mongolia (China)
  • Occupied Outer Hungary (Hungary)
  • Russia (SFSR)
  • Ukraine (SSR)
    • Inner Ukraine (Poland)
    • Inner Carpatho-Ukraine (tiny uninhabited territory, Slovakia)
  • Byelorussia (SSR)
    • Inner Byelorussia (Poland)
  • Karelia (SSR)
  • Georgia (SSR)
    • South-Western Georgia (annexed from Turkey)
    • Lazistan (ASSR, annexed from Turkey)
  • Armenia (SSR)
    • Western Armenia (annexed from Turkey)
  • Azerbaijan (SSR)
    • Southern Azerbaijan (annexed from Iran)
  • Kazakhstan (SSR)
  • Kyrgyzstan (SSR)
  • Uzbekistan (SSR)
  • Turkmenistan (SSR)
  • Tajikistan (SSR)
  • Estonia (SSR; de jure Independent)
    • Inner Estonia (independent, tiny enclave in Lithuania)
  • Latvia (SSR; de jure Independent)
    • Inner Latvia (independent)
  • Lithuania (SSR; de jure Independent)
    • Inner Lithuania (independent)
    • Memelland (Germany)
  • Romania (SSR; de jure Independent)
    • Romanian Government in Exile
    • Szekler Autonomous Region
  • Bulgaria (SSR; de jure Independent)
    • Bulgarian Government in Exile
    • Pirin Autonomous Region
    • North-Eastern Thrace (annexed from Turkey)
  • Kurdistan (SSR)
    • Iranian Kudristan (annexed from Iran)
    • Turkish Kurdistan (annexed from Turkey)
  • Turkey (SSR, annexed from Turkey)

Albania
Socialist country

Andorra
Annexed by Spain

Bulgaria
  • Outer Bulgaria (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Croatia
  • Outer Croatia (annexed by Yugoslavia)

Denmark

Estonia
  • Outer Estonia (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Finland
Neutral
  • Åland Autonomous Region

Flanders
Merged with the Netherlands

France
Great Power, Neutral
  • Alsace-Lorraine (annexed by Germany)
  • Inner France (under the control of the French State, including Jura and Wallonia)
  • Algeria (integral part)
  • Outer Flanders (annexed from Flanders)
  • New Hebrides (Condominium with the UK)
  • Fezzan (Protectorate)
  • French Indochina (Federation of protectorates, under local control, referenda scheduled for 1946, no consent)
  • French Morocco (Protectorate, including former Spanish Cape Juby, Saguia el Hamra, Ifni)
  • Tunisia (Protectorate)
  • French Equatorial Africa (Colony, including French Cameroons, former Belgian Congo, former Spanish Guinea)
  • French Guiana (Colony)
  • French India (Colony, expected to join India in 1947, no consent)
  • French Oceania (Colony)
  • French Somaliland (Colony)
  • French West Africa (Colony, including French Togoland, former Spanish Rio de Oro)
  • Guadeloupe (Colony)
  • Madagascar (Colony)
  • Martinique (Colony)
  • New Caledonia (Colony)
  • Réunion (Colony)
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon (Colony)
  • Uninhabited Minor Islands
  • Antarctic Claim

German Switzerland
European Community of Nations, Federation

Germany
Great Power, European Community of Nations, Federation, Dome owner
  • Bohemia-Moravia (Autonomous State)
  • Slovenia (Autonomous State)

Greece
Socialist country
  • Rhodes and the Dodecanese (ceded by Italy)
  • South-Eastern Thrace (annexed from Turkey)
  • Ionia (annexed from Turkey)

Hungary
  • People's Republic of Hungary / Outer Hungary (Soviet occupation)

Iceland and Faroe
Neutral, Federation

Ireland
Neutral

Italy
  • Inner Italy (evacuated by Germany)
  • Italian speaking areas of Switzerland (ceded by Switzerland)
  • Tripolitania (integral part)
  • Cyrenaica (integral part)
  • Zara (under Yugoslav occupation)

Latvia
  • Outer Latvia (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Lithuania
  • Outer Lithuania (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Monaco
Microstate, French control

Netherlands
  • Flanders (integral part)

Norway
Neutral
  • Svalbard (Spitzbergen Treaty)

Poland
  • Outer Poland (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Portugal
Neutral
  • Cape Verde (Colony)
  • Macau (Colony)
  • Portuguese East Africa (Mozambique, Colony)
  • Portuguese Guinea (Bissau, Colony)
  • Portuguese India (Goa, Colony, expected to join India in 1947, no consent)
  • Portuguese Timor (Colony, under Indonesian occupation, referendum scheduled for 1946, no consent)
  • Portuguese West Africa (Angola, Colony)
  • São Tomé and Príncipe (Colony)
  • São João Baptista de Ajudá (Possession, miniscule, no native population)

Romandy
Neutral, Federation

Romania
  • Outer Romania (annexed by the Soviet Union)

San Marino
Microstate, enclaved in Italy

Slovakia
  • Outer Slovakia (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Spain
  • Andorra (integral part)
  • Rif (integral part, including Tangiers)

Sweden

Vatican City
Microstate, enclaved in Rome (Italy), location of the Holy See

Wallonia
Merged with Inner France

Yugoslavia
Socialist country, Federation
  • Zara (Italian)
  • Krk (American occupation)
  • Inner Croatia (independent)
  • Inner Slovenia (Germany)

Western Bloc (American influence)

Argentina

Bolivia

Brazil

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Cuba

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

El Salvador

Guatemala

Haiti

Honduras

Mexico

Nicaragua

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Uruguay

Venezuela

Afghanistan
Neutral

Bhutan
Neutral

China
Great Power, Western Bloc, partial Japanese and Soviet occupation
  • East Turkestan (Soviet occupation, puppet state: East Turkestan)
  • Outer Mongolia (Soviet occupation, puppet state: Mongolia)
  • Tuva (annexed by the Soviet Union)
  • Inner Manchuria (Rogue Kwantung Army occupation, puppet state: Manchukuo)
  • Tibet (independent state)

Egypt
Western Bloc (British influence)
  • Sudan (Condominium with the UK)

Ethiopia
  • Eritrea (integral part)

Indonesia
Neutral (Japanese influence)
  • Occupied British Borneo (Sarawak, Brunei, North Borneo)
  • Occupied Portuguese Timor

Iran
  • Kurdish Mahabad (annexed by the Soviet Union)
  • Southern Azerbaijan (annexed by the Soviet Union)

Iraq

Japan
American Occupation
  • Karafuto (referendum scheduled for 1946)
  • Taiwan (referendum scheduled for 1946)

Lebanon
Neutral

Liberia
Western Bloc (American influence)

Nepal

Oman

Ruanda-Urundi
Neutral, Federation

Saudi Arabia
Neutral

Syria
Soviet bloc

Thailand
Neutral

Turkey
Neutral

Yemen
Neutral

De Facto States

Burma
De jure Burma (UK, Colony)

Cambodia
De jure French Indochina (France, Protectorate)

East Turkestan
Soviet puppet state, de jure China

Laos
De jure French Indochina (France, Protectorate)

Manchuria
Rogue Kwantung Army puppet state, de jure China

Malaya
De jure Malaya (UK, Crown Colony and Federation of Protectorates)

Mongolia
Soviet puppet state, de jure China

Tibet
Neutral, de jure China

Vietnam
De jure French Indochina (France)

[Map] European Community of Nations (1945)
late 1945
Politico-Military Blocs

Blocs:
  • Grey: The European Community of Nations
  • Pink: Western Bloc
  • Blue: France
  • Red: Soviet Bloc
  • Tan: Neutral countries

Legend:
  • De facto situation shown
  • Red Dot: Dome Centre (Berlin)
  • Red Circle (looks like an ellipse due to Mercator distortion): Dome limit
  • Pink Arcs: Deactivated (opened) portions of the Dome
  • Black Lines: Borders
  • Grey Lines: Internal Borders

Key:
  1. Inner Latvia
  2. Inner Croatia
  3. German Switzerland
  4. Romandy
  5. Soviet Iran
  6. Kuwait (UK)
  7. Palestine (UK)
  8. Gibraltar (UK), not visible at the scale of the map

[Map] Central Europe (July 1945)
Central Europe
July 1945
For a live zoomable and pannable map of the Dome, you may follow this link.

Legend:
  • National colours as usual
  • De facto situation shown
  • Red Dot: Dome Centre (Berlin)
  • Red Circle (looks like an ellipse due to Mercator distortion): Dome limit
  • Pink Arcs: Deactivated (opened) portions of the Dome
  • Black Lines: Borders
  • Grey Lines: Internal Borders

Key:
  1. Andorra (Annexed by Spain by treaty)
  2. Romandy (Suisse)
  3. Jura (Federated with Inner France)
  4. Istria (see detailed map)
  5. Krk (American occupation)
  6. Zara (Yugoslav occupation)
  7. Outer Slovenia (Yugoslav Federal Republic)
  8. Inner Croatia
  9. Autonomous Region of Felvidék

Last edited:
Back