Every writer has their habits, so to speak. Hemingway is terse, Dickens is long-winded, I use lots of ellipses and parentheses, and Publicola tends towards "what is this and why do I care?" *keeps reading* "Oh that's what's going on. Cool."
While this is technically true. When I raise an attempt at constructive critism, saying that the issue is a habitually reccuring one means the critism is more important not less.
So it seems odd that you sound like you're trying to wave it off for Publicola. Not sure if this is a tone getting lost over text issue?

I acknowledge the validity of the criticism, and to my ear the tone seemed less helpful and friendly than it seems you intended. I've been reading Publicola's stuff long enough it's something of a rhythm I'm used to and when I encounter "Here is a thing that has been named. What is this thing and why do I care?", my subconscious says "don't worry, he'll explain it shortly" and I move on. A lot of textbooks I've had work the same way.

While I would not demand writing styles homogenize into something easily read but with no voice or style, I would also not demand that readers contort their minds overmuch to understand a writer's style.

Translation: as I beta/proof-read his segments I'll try to keep an eye out for "name of thing" - "flavor of thing" - "what and why" and offer a few alternatives. I can't promise anything, but our collective goal here is something that is enjoyable. We're writing content we wish to see and trying to keep things fun for everyone, and that balance can occasionally be a difficult one to maintain.

I acknowledge the validity of the criticism, and to my ear the tone seemed less helpful and friendly than it seems you intended. I've been reading Publicola's stuff long enough it's something of a rhythm I'm used to and when I encounter "Here is a thing that has been named. What is this thing and why do I care?", my subconscious says "don't worry, he'll explain it shortly" and I move on. A lot of textbooks I've had work the same way.

While I would not demand writing styles homogenize into something easily read but with no voice or style, I would also not demand that readers contort their minds overmuch to understand a writer's style.

Translation: as I beta/proof-read his segments I'll try to keep an eye out for "name of thing" - "flavor of thing" - "what and why" and offer a few alternatives. I can't promise anything, but our collective goal here is something that is enjoyable. We're writing content we wish to see and trying to keep things fun for everyone, and that balance can occasionally be a difficult one to maintain.
Fair enough and if I also came off in the wrong tone I'll try and straighten that up.
I enjoyed the update a lot, Asajj has had the most significant character arc and this was interesting introspection, and analysis of the journey. However my enjoyment of it was somewhat distracted by a niggling "Should I know this person?".

I guess theres also that Asajj is I think something of a private person so that she had this discussion with someone she had never met before is odd. But that didn't even occur to me until afterwards, so I think the Star Wars mystiscm where you can easily see it as the sort of universe where some people would walk up a mountain and gain enlightment from a random hermit who just lived there averted that. Honestly I imagine that was the tone you were going for so good job, I didn't even question it until it was over, 10/10 would immerse again.

Oh, no worries.
Ciaran WILL show up to the Conclave. Late due to shenanigans elsewhere in the galaxy, but still.

I just have NO IDEA how her meeting her parents will work out. In discussion with Barondoctor and Publicola I already decided to retcon them far, FAR away from being loathsome people into largely the opposite, so at least it wouldn't be a total disaster. I think. Maybe. I don't know.

You could have it that her parents were just so incredible average and boring Or at least she thought so at the time. that the idea of turning out anything like them or the vast majority of miraluka was so repugnant to her that regularly risking death was by and far the better choice in her mind, she could even troll Kenobi with this, surly he had to wonder what kind of people could produce a kid that turned into her right? Mercs? Bounty hunters? Dark Jedi? Sith?!? Nope just boring old Luka Sene, and if her parents turned out to be way less boring than mini-Ciaran thought the joke might end up being on her for once.

You could have it that her parents were just so incredible average and boring Or at least she thought so at the time. that the idea of turning out anything like them or the vast majority of miraluka was so repugnant to her that regularly risking death was by and far the better choice in her mind, she could even troll Kenobi with this, surly he had to wonder what kind of people could produce a kid that turned into her right? Mercs? Bounty hunters? Dark Jedi? Sith?!? Nope just boring old Luka Sene, and if her parents turned out to be way less boring than mini-Ciaran thought the joke might end up being on her for once.

Barondoctor, Publicola and I have thought about how Ciaran meeting her parents will work out. We have IDEAS now. Funny ones.
You may already pity several people. Including Asajj.

Barondoctor, Publicola and I have thought about how Ciaran meeting her parents will work out. We have IDEAS now. Funny ones.
You may already pity several people. Including Asajj.
Amazin, Sometimes I wonder how great it would be to get the current or end quest Ciaran into a Worm setting, mostly because even if Tattletale came first she's still the cheap Chinese knockoff version since Ciaran is smugger by at least a factor of five, smarter by a factor of ten and has all the bullshit that comes with being a very high-level Force user and high-level Matukai practitioner If I had to do a drop-in into that setting She would definitely be good to be a copy of with how ridiculous the dice made her. could probably even Force shenanigans her way into building a small starship.
I love how broken she became, considering the starting stats and profession weren't really geared for face to face combat or any of the other shit, she really should have never been more than a medium fish in an ocean planet, rather than the Sando aqua monster in a regular ocean she became. Talk about Nobody to nightmare.

(Omake) Shrieking Birds & Gifts from Piebald (Mostly Canon)
Shrieking Birds & Gifts from Piebald (Omake)

Shrieking Birds

Agent Piebald Hunched over the miniature launcher as he slid in the final munition. Sure he was probably in a touch of trouble as he had been a BIT late in returning from his leave but his findings and the gifts he had given out should smooth things over with the higher-ups. Sure he had also knocked out that cute security guard and stuffed her in the closet but what type of guard does not look up when checking out strange sounds and walks around with the top two buttons of her uniform undone. He had made sure to not hurt her too much and even left her with a gift so she should not be too mad.

It had taken him weeks and every pinch of political and academic pull as a master of pre-excision Madolorian munitions but in the end, he had managed to track down a pristine bunker of ancient Mandalorian supplies and weapons.

It was there he had found these little gems, well not THESE ones but the ones he had dismantled to reverse engineers these ones from. While he was not sure he had gotten the stabilizer fins exactly right they should still work and he was sure about everything else.

Fixing the launcher in place her turned to the array of targets on the far side of the room. Taking a moment to tag them on his HUD he fired.

The room filled with shrieking sounds instead of the whistling he had expected but the targets were all destroyed in a very satisfying way.

Tapping a final code on his wrist com he sent the schematics to the geeks in the box for mass production. That was when movement caught his eye.

Turning he caught a brief glimpse of the guard from before as she slammed the door and something caught up upon his boot.

Looking down he had just enough time to recognize the Mark III Piebald Pattern Shock grenade before his world went white and filled with pain.

Gifts from Piebald

Director Arnald just had time to help his secretary brace his hardwood desk against the door before it shuddered yet again under impact.

If he survived this he would personally wring the neck of whatever idiot had dropped off a full tribe of Ewoks that had been recovered from an illegal lab running inhumane tests on them without properly securing them or even telling anyone they were there.

It was a testament to the men and woman that Ciaran had hired for security that no one had died before they had managed to seal the floor. Unfortunately, that was a cold comfort as he was now trapped in his office with his secretary while the Ewoks ran rampant through the rest of the offices.

Asajj held up the dreamcatcher in her hand admiring the craftmanship. Truly it was a piece of art with the Abyss Watchers emblem taking up most of the webwork.

The fact it was woven out of det-cord and the crystals were also high explosives told her who had made it more surely than any signature.

Although when she found him she would be having words with him about HOW he had managed to place it on her pillow when she knew that her room had been securely locked down.

Archivist Inde stared at the twelve shuttle loads of artifacts that had somehow been unloaded onto his main show floor without anyone noticing. The only clue about their origin was an invoice stating that they were recovered from a pre-excision Mandolorian bunker.

Looking up at the mess once again all he could think was "Well, there goes my planned vacation."

Ciaran looked at the armour stand now filling the corner of her office. Displayed proudly upon it was the best recreation of Mandalore the Destroyer's armour she had ever even heard of. It even faithfully recreated the damage caused by the blows that had ended that Mandolore's life.

The only thing that marred the image was the fact that the helmet had fallen off and rolled behind the stand.
Bending down she reached behind it and snagged the helmet.

Just then the door opened and she stood to find Mitth'raw'nuruodo frozen still and staring at her... no not at her at the helmet she now held.

Garnet came to with a pulsing headache. The last thing she remembered was someone dropping from the ceiling and nailing her on the chin with a raising axe kick of all things.

A quick check showed she was otherwise unharmed and unbound which was definitely odd. She also had a pack tied to her wrist.

As she opens the door and could see properly she glanced into the pack. Inside she found twelve of Piebald's personalized grenades, she had confiscated enough of them over the last year to recognize them upon sight, as well as a set of this year's most revealing lingerie out of Hutt space.

Abyss Walker or not He would pay for that.

Last edited:
Can only imagine how Ciaran's parents would react to their daughter being one of the most rich, influential and powerful people in the galaxy. Especially her public reputation for just doing good.

For the record, we're still hard at work on the next interlude. It's taking a bit longer than expected, at least partly because it kinda accidentally became huge. "In other news, I now feel considerably more sympathy for Dr Snark about how updates would get away from him." - quoth someone on the Discord. We're looking at five scenes, each with a different cast of characters, each scene being 1k+ words. (I told you: this Conclave is going to be a barnburner, and we haven't even gotten to the real jaw-dropping stuff yet).

Honestly, part of me wonders if it'd be better to publish each scene as we finish it, rather than wait for everything to be ready. OTOH, we've done a lot of fine-tuning and rewriting for the earlier scenes as we write the next one down the list, so the delay has been helpful for getting all of the details right. Plus, long delay followed by WHAM episode is practically tradition at this point.

Hmm...

Last edited:
And when he woke up he was in solitary, because there is in fact a limit to how much jackassery one can get away with in the Abyss Watchers.
You say that as if this was the first time he ended up there. He has a cell reserved for him as they have to make sure there is NOTHING he could use to make explosives in it including cleaning residue.

Interlude - The Conclave Assembles
Somewhere on the Chu'unthor:

Anjuf Bendtz was a Blackguard.

It had been a stroke of outrageous good fortune to receive an invitation to the Conclave -- and a personal invitation at that, from Lady Ciaran herself.

Sure, he'd passed along the message and the invitation to his superiors, but after that he'd pretty much beelined straight for Ossus where the Conclave was to be held. Only to discover upon his arrival that the event would be hosted on board the legendary praxeum-ship Chu'unthor at that.

Of course, he wasn't actually attending the Conclave as a member of the Blackguard.

"Next," the concierge stated. Anjuf moved forward, and was greeted by a "Name and organization?"

"Anjuf Bendtz. Here's my ID."

"Oh, EduCorps? You're the first member of the Jedi Service Corps we've seen; glad you could join us!" The concierge chirped, sounding for the first time like he wasn't bored out of his mind. "Here's your lanyard, here's your room key, here's your informational packet, here's your agenda, and here's your… I'm not really sure what this is. Welcome to the Chu'unthor!"

Yes, Anjuf might have been a Blackguard Wilder, but his current assignment was to infiltrate the Jedi Service Corps to see what he could learn from them. Happily, the EduCorps was willing to accept non-Jedi Force sensitives as teachers, so he was hired for an entry-level teaching position on Ord Vaxal.

The only thing he learned from that first assignment was patience. Only once had he summoned the courage to ask his colleagues why they didn't just use the Force to implant knowledge of n-dimensional math into the minds of the students. He'd received more than his share of strange looks, so he gave it up and resumed his normal instruction.

Even the most under-developed worlds in the galaxy had some basic educational infrastructure. But rare was the planet that could draw out the potential of native-born prodigies, to allow gifted students to fully participate in the galactic economy. Most such worlds used a lottery system and sent them to the nearest ORD world, where the Jedi Educational Corps had piggy-backed off the ExplorCorps outposts to serve the various regions of the Rim.

That was Anjuf's job: to bring gifted students up to the level of math education needed to attend technical college or university. Most students were fully aware of how lucky they were, but cramming multivariate hyperdimensional equations was still a challenge for everyone except the craniopods.

Or rather, that was Anjuf's job, until four months ago when he was (finally!) transferred to the main EduCorps facility on Obroa-skai to work on data analysis. That was much more his speed, and he found it far easier to fulfill the mission he'd received from the Blackguard elites: the EduCorps had spent literal millennia developing Force-assisted techniques to collect, sort, and analyze data.

Then he met Lady Ciaran and received her invitation to the Conclave, and his life was turned upside down again. He had passed the message on to both sets of superiors, and both EduCorps and Blackguard returned his message with the same set of new orders: get to Ossus, stat. Not that he needed to be told.

And now he was here.

It felt like coming home.

The docking bays on the Chu'unthor were arranged like forward spurs, so it took some time for him to shuttle to the main halls. But once he arrived… it was a new world. He passed through towering corridors some fifty feet tall, marbled floors and arching columns, alcoves with benches, divans, chaises, and couches. And everywhere, the green of living things.

Anjuf sank into a chaise to read the Visitor's Guide that lay on top of the piles in his arms.

By the time he reached the sixth Force sect in the list, he had started cackling. This wasn't just some convention. It was Career Day. No, it was more than Career Day; it was a kilometer-wide, two-kilometer-long, all-you-eat buffet table!

"Knowledge." He whispered to himself. "So. Much. Knowledge. Through passion I gain knowledge." He nodded in memory of the Blackguard Code. "Through knowledge I gain power. Unlimited knowledge. Unnnnnlimiteddd powerrrr!" he cried, hands uplifted in exultation.

He looked over at the Miralukan couple seated on the divan opposite. Even with their masks, he could tell they were staring at him.

Oops.

He lowered his hands.

The man finally broke the awkward silence. "First day?"

Anjuf nodded wordlessly.

"You're the fifth one today. The other four, however, were not nearly as well-dressed."

"Ah. Thank you?" Anjuf chuckled uncertainly.

"Just remember: don't consume any energy field bigger than your own head."

"I know that," Anjuf protested, his heart rate finally slowing down. "I do, however, plan to consume a knowledge field big enough to give me a headache."

The woman grinned wryly. "Sounds about right. Where are you from?"

"Obroa-skai. Jedi Educational Corps."

"Not far from us, then. Alpheridies. Luka Sene. This is my wife, Eevy. I'm Jasper."

"Anjuf. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He looked closer. "You remind me of someone…."

Jasper sighed. "Everyone says that. Probably another Force-forsaken cousin," he grumbled. "I'll let you get back to your reading."

Anjuf nodded gratefully, and buried himself back in the Visitor's Guide. It was only a few minutes later that he poked his head back up. "Wait, you're Jasper Parsa? And you're Eevy Varn! You're in charge of the Luka Sene!"

Eevy sighed. "Not 'in charge', no. The Luka Sene are the strongest Force wielders of our species, but given our entire planet qualifies for membership…" She shrugged "We don't have a single leader, or even a council like the Jedi. Most of the business of actually governing the Sene is done by the planetary government on Alpheridies."

"Actually a sub-ministry, within the Ministry of Education," Jasper chipped in.

"Right. We were sent because we're the most experienced teachers in our order. We were more qualified than any paper-pusher, despite our civilian status."

Anjuf had listened with growing excitement. "Teach me. Anything. Everything."

Jaspar's smile was a familiar one -- the smile of one who delighted in teaching, and who had found a student who delighted in learning.

It was a good day.

Elsewhere on the Chu'unthor:

Meanwhile, in another alcove of a different corridor, several visitors were measuring the sizes of their respective… Force traditions.

"My body is a Force Nexus, a focal point for its energy to work through me." With one arm, the Matukai effortlessly lifted the couch on which two other visitors were seated. "No wasted effort."

"A rancor is powerful, but no one would confuse it with a sapient," the Jal Shey dryly retorted from his perch.

"And you risk your entire self to use your abilities," the Ysanna pointed out. "Isn't it safer to work from a distance?"

"Safer?" The Antarian Ranger came to the Matukai's defense. "Lady, my Force sensitivity measures a few hundred midichlorians on a good day, but you won't see me run away from a fight. Justice needs its defenders, and even the Jedi need our help to get the job done."

"They 'need' your help? I wouldn't say that," the Corellian Jedi condescended to speak. "The Jedi on Coruscant use your help, because they fail to remember what we long since learned: Jedi must work with the civilian government and law enforcement, who are supposed to be the ones doing the job in the first place."

"Trust the government to do what's right? That's a hoot." An accented voice spoke from the apparently unoccupied divan by the wall.

"Where the kriff did you come from?" The Matukai yelped.

All of them nearly jumped at the sudden appearance of a woman in a long red coat and a red, broad-brimmed hat. The divan was no longer unoccupied.

"Oh, I've been here all along." Cimmeria Sundown smirked. "It's cute how you think you're better than the rest, when all your strength can't fight something you can't see." She glanced toward the couch, behind the Matukai. "You weren't eating this veghash, were you?" She nodded at the plate suddenly in her hand.

"How the kriff did you steal my food?" The Jal Shey whined. "I just put that down!"

"Magic…" Cimmeria waggled her eyebrows. "It's not my fault I'm the greatest thief in the galaxy. I barely even tried to compete for it."

"There are competitions?" The Antarian Ranger was either disgusted or fascinated.

"Sure, there must be. I raided an Ivax base last month, and the boss had a mug with that inscribed on it. So I stole it." She nonchalantly raised a mug to her lips -- the same one she'd just described. "Ahh. The caf here is excellent."

"Mistress Sundown. Stop tormenting the acolytes." The latest voice came from a… walking shadow? … vibrating in place along the main corridor. "We all know electromagnetism is your bitch, but past a certain point it's not exactly sporting."

"Ah, ruin my fun, why don't you." Cimmeria good-naturedly complained, lowering her hand. No one saw the moment the mug vanished. "Well, it's been a blast. Sayonara!" Just like that, the plate of veghash she'd been holding in her other hand seemed to fall through her body, a second before Cimmeria herself disappeared with a laugh.

Everyone stared at the plate spinning to a stop on the divan she'd just left.

"What. The. Kriff." The Matukai said.

No one responded.

Finally, the Jal Shey got up and retrieved his plate in silence. Cutting off a small piece, he brought it to his mouth with evident relish.

"How can you possibly be enjoying that? Veghash is disgusting," the Antarian Ranger commented with a curled lip.

"This? Oh, that's easy." The Jal Shey popped another slice in his mouth. "You know how taste is a mental process?"

"Yes…"

"And you know how there's a Force technique to alter someone's mind?"

"Oh no." The Corellian Jedi lowered her head to her palm.

"What?" The Ysanna pressed.

"And you know that the Jal Shey teach how to imbue objects with the Force?"

"Wait, you mean..." Now the light dawned.

"Yup. I can imbue any meal I eat with any taste I choose. Like chocolate mint ice cream. Or prime rib. Or pina colada. Here, try one." The Jal Shey tapped a slice with a finger. It levitated toward the others while he returned his attention to his next slice.

They all looked at each other. The Matukai was the first to summon the courage to pluck it out of the air and taste it. "Is… is that a cinnabon?"

"Yup. Veghash may be disgusting, but my brain doesn't think I'm eating veghash. So I get all the enjoyment of pleasure food, and all the health benefits of a strict diet." He smirked. "Now don't you wish you were trained by the Jal Shey?"

"You mind-trick yourself to eat your vegetables?" The Matukai scoffed. "How can you ever expect to grow stronger, when you lack the will to discipline your own mind?"

"On the contrary," the Jal Shey responded. "I don't lack willpower. I just found an easier way."

"Lazy."

"Efficient. It is the nature of sapients to use tools, to enable greater results from lesser effort. Build me a lever great enough, and I can move worlds."

"A tool is nothing in the hands of someone incapable of using it. I don't need a lever to move the world."

"Can't we have both?" asked a passing Blackguard, who had paused to listen to their dispute.

"SITH!" the Corellian Jedi jumped into the low-guard stance of…

"Is that Niman?" The Blackguard tilted his head.

The Corellian Jedi blinked. "You… what?"

"I asked if that was the Sixth Form. Niman. You know, 'Way of the Rancor'?" The Blackguard made air quotes with a smile.

"I… yes?"

"Okay. I was just wondering why you picked that form, if you thought I was a Sith. Niman's pretty ineffective for fighting against an opponent with a lightsaber, isn't it?"

"Yes, but… wait, no, you're a Sith!" She raised her lightsaber. "There's no 'if', you are clearly--"

"A member of the Blackguard, mentioned in the Visitor's Guide? The ones that Jedi often confuse for Sith?"

"Oh." The Corellian Jedi paused, then looked skeptical. "Really?"

"That's what the guidebook said," the Ysanna shrugged.

"If you have any doubts," the Jal Shey motioned to the Corellian Jedi, "ask the Force. What does it tell you?"

A few seconds later, she blinked. "...That you are no threat." The lightsaber retracted, its hilt disappearing back into her robes. "I apologize." Her words were accompanied by a slight bow and a barely hidden blush.

The Blackguard grinned. "Apology accepted. That's why we're all here, after all. To learn about each other, and learn from each other."

"Well said," the Ysanna nodded. "I come from a barren wasteland, a desert planet of mountains and caves, where few edible plants grow and where most creatures consider my people to be crunchy and good with ketchup. Any technique that helps us fight them would be exceptionally helpful, but so would any technique to make it easier to stomach our typical diet."

The Matukai approached. "I understand. That is why we are here." He looked to the Jal Shey. "Truce?"

The Jal Shey considered, then nodded. "Truce."

They shook hands.

The Matukai soon found that he was floating in zero-gravity. "Hey!"

"Sorry, couldn't resist." The Jal Shey smirked. "Tell me: how useful is your unsurpassed strength, now that you have no leverage?" He finished off the last slice of veghash.

"Fix this!"

"It'll fix itself. You'll get your gravity back in… oh, a half-hour or so." He bowed cheerfully. "Ta ta."

The others left as well, the Ysanna looking back with a pitying glance.

The Matukai silently took up a meditative pose. "Force. And flow. With no gravity of my own… maneuver like the ship is zero-g. Wall-jumping, right." He retrieved his wan-shen, and pressed the hilt down to push off against the floor.

The Matukai looked up. He had admired the ceiling when he arrived, but now all he could think is how far away it was. It would be a long two minutes until he could make another jump.

In a secluded conference room, adjacent to an unused training room, connected to an unopened corridor, four Jedi Masters of four Jedi sects met for the first time.

"You know, it really shouldn't have taken a galactic humanitarian inviting us to an unprecedented assembly of Force sects onboard a legendary lost ship over a positively mythical lost world for the four of us to actually talk with each other." Djinn Altis of Bespin began.

"True," Irek Cerulian of Corellia nodded sagely.

"Did any of you expect to find all of… this, when you received the invitation?" Rogan Sorenn of Tython asked, waving his hand at the transparisteel window, where they could see both the flat lines of the ship as well as the curves of the planet beyond.

"I expected Lady Ciaran to have a surprise for us when I learned this Conclave would be held over Ossus," Lanius Qel-Bertuk of Almas admitted. "We all know how long the Jedi struggled to gain a foothold on Ossus. Not even my own students could get permission to build an outpost there, though a few knights were allowed to walk the ruins before departing. When I saw the invitation, I suspected that Ciaran had somehow negotiated a truce with the Ysanna, and was using the Conclave to show off."

"I didn't know what to expect," Rogan admitted. "I certainly didn't expect this ship!"

"Yes. Even for my followers, it is impressive." Altis commented. "You might recall that shortly after my departure from the Jedi Order, I commissioned a replica of the Chu'unthor, though far smaller and more spartanly furnished. My students and I have taken to using it as our school. Should this Chu'unthor not be to your taste, you are of course more than welcome to join us."

Cerulian smiled. "I thank you, but I doubt I will take your kind offer. The spaciousness here is very much to my liking."

Rogan admitted, "I'm not entirely sure how I feel. The relaxed approach of this Conclave, of this 'Unseen University'... it's a bit much."

Altis bowed his head. "As I said, you're welcome to join us. Though, admittedly, our approach is nearly as relaxed, and their University has more of a code than I do."

"Oh?" Lanius asked with obvious interest.

"I teach 'Being good. Doing good. Asking good questions.' Or at least, that's the translation in Basic." Altis smiled. "Sounds much more impressive in Old Tionese."

Cerulian cackled. "Everything does. I often give advice in Olys Corellsi for the same reason."

"Old Corellian? It suits you, I think," Rogan smirked.

"And why not? I am an old Corellian, after all." Cerulian laughed again, this time joined by the others.

When the laughter had dissipated, all four Masters paused to take in the silence. The Force was… pleased.

"So. We are all here." Lanius began, the joy of the Force showing on his face. "We all come here with different histories, different ideals, different practices. Yet we are all Jedi, and now we may speak openly. What do we want out of this Conclave?"

Altis was the first to respond. "I want to discover new ways of using the Force. There is so much we don't know, so much the Jedi no longer teach. My students have reached incredible breakthroughs with only a few decades of study -- imagine how much we could learn from groups with centuries of experience, and none of the Jedi's preconceptions about what is not possible!"

Rogan smiled at his enthusiasm. "For my part, I'd like to learn new stories from our history. Too often, our narrative of the galaxy is the history of the Core. But all of these Force sects… they've lived out there, working in the Rim, and they know so much that has been overlooked."

Lanius waited for Cerulian to speak. He didn't, so Lanius went ahead. "At Almas Academy, before a student can graduate, they must go on a number of 'Jedi quests'. For padawans these are short errands to other planets or systems, to give them a bit of experience with the world outside the Academy. I'd like to meet these other sects, and see if any of them would be willing to host our padawans during their quests, so they can explore farther afield in safety."

Cerulian finally broke his silence. "I am the Master of the Corellian Jedi, but a thousand years ago my title would have been Lord. Master Rogan, it is good to discover new history, but there is so much more history we know and fail to appreciate. For three thousand years we've known of the ruins of Ossus -- how many Jedi have ever visited its surface? During the New Sith Wars, the Jedi sent colony ships out into the stars, a desperate attempt to save our history if all was lost. How many of those colony ships survived? How many sects descend from such Jedi offshoots? How much history have we forgotten, or covered up in our shame? I want to hear their stories, to learn if they can tell us how our own stories continue."

Silence filled the space.

At length, Lanius again broke into their thoughts. "What are your thoughts on this… Unseen University? What does the Force tell you?"

The four Masters meditated.

"Perhaps it is merely a case of the Force returning my own thoughts back to me," said Altis with a smile. "But my heart delights at the 'right to learn'. To know that each sect will contribute their knowledge, their history, their techniques… it gives me joy. And hope."

"Aye." Lanius nodded, "My heart as well. For my part, I am most interested in the 'right to interact'. To establish a foundation of peace and understanding between all Jedi orders and Force sects, has long been a dream of mine."

"I share your hope, but not unmixed with worry," responded Rogan. "I wonder about this 'duty to be responsible with knowledge'. There is a reason we do not teach advanced techniques to our initiates, a reason we fear the holocrons of the Sith Lords. There are certain kinds of knowledge that by its very nature corrupts. How can we be certain that this pledge to be responsible will be responsible in fact?"

They sat, feeling the Force.

Cerulian spoke, "For my part, I am more concerned with the 'duty to share knowledge'. How much will be shared? How little? How will we learn to trust others to share of ourselves, or trust that others share of themselves? So much history has been lost. Even after a thousand years of peace, neither the galaxy nor the Jedi can claim to have recovered even what was taken in those hundred years of darkness, let alone in the centuries of war that preceded it. How can we make sure such priceless knowledge is never forgotten again?"

More silence.

"The good times give us good memories. The bad times give us good lessons." Cerulian began. "We have a thousand years of good memories. Perhaps it is time to give the good lessons a second glance. What do you see as the future of the Jedi Order?" The green sage's eyes penetrated each of the other three masters.

Lanius was the first to answer. "Almas Academy was founded partly as a testbed for reform. We have found great success in accepting older students, even adults."

"With older initiates, you'll have to deal with more students -- how have you dealt with the limited numbers of Masters to teach them?" Altis asked.

"We've also experimented with a communal model of education," Lanius answered. "At Almas, masters may teach multiple students, and students may learn from many masters. In this too, our results have looked promising."

"I saw those reports before we evacuated Coruscant," Rogan added. "The Tython Jedi had made similar reforms, with similar results. It's hard to say how it might scale up, but…"

"We can no longer afford to turn away students simply because they are able to think and feel for themselves," Lanius concluded.

"I doubt we can afford to turn away students, period." Rogan half-chuckled. "When we evacuated the Temple on Coruscant, it felt like a herculean effort… until I realized that the entire future of the Jedi Order was able to fit in a handful of luxury liners. A single starport on the Plains of Coruscant might see that many ships dock in a single hour. For so long we remained within the Temple, content… blind to the sheer scale of a galaxy that relies on us for peace."

"I agree," Altis nodded. "After my exile, I ran the numbers. Coruscant is home to over one trillion permanent residents, and that's only the official tally. Between the homeless, temporary residents, visitors, orbital population… perhaps two trillion? More? Who knows how many lost souls inhabit the Deep Undercity. But at least it's enough for a conservative estimate. On Coruscant alone, a single planet at the heart of the Jedi Order's power for a millennium, the Jedi are outnumbered at least 100 million to one. And yet the Jedi are entrusted with the protection and peace of a galaxy, with its hundreds of quadrillions? Small wonder we fell short."

"There are two ways the Jedi may grow," Cerulian spoke. "The first by breadth, the second by depth."

"And that koan means…?" Djinn prompted after a lengthy pause.

"The Jedi may reach out to new worlds, or recruit those with a weaker connection to the Force. This is breadth. The way of depth… the Jedi may encourage the spread of Force sensitivity through our own members' actions."

Lanius shot him a look, "You are suggesting…?"

"It is well known that Force sensitivity is often passed down through family lines," Cerulian answered with an impish grin. "The Corellian Jedi have long permitted marriages by Masters and Knights, and our ratio has never been lower than about one in a million."

Lanius looked visibly taken aback.

Rogan chuckled, "I think you'll find, Master Qel-Bertuk, that you're the only one in this room who holds to Coruscant's teachings on attachment."

"If Jedi could marry..." Altis spoke almost wistfully.

"If Jedi could marry, the Order would fall." Lanius argued firmly. "Endorsing such attachment would only encourage sexual appetites, family loyalties, even risk the rise of Jedi dynasties."

"So you favor Jedi marriages, then?" Cerulian smiled as one springing a trap.

"What?"

"The Force is life -- what is more life-giving than procreation? The Force is nature -- what is more natural than the bonds that form within families, between father and mother and child?"

"...And Jedi dynasties?" Altis asked, quite enjoying Cerulian's conversational gambit.

"In history we knew them as Jedi Lords," Cerulian answered mildly.

"Proof of the galaxy's decay!" Lanius objected. "The Lords were rightly dethroned by the Reformations after Ruusan."

Cerulian breathed -- inhale, slow exhale, expression unchanging. "A response to the galaxy's decay. The Jedi knew that lines of travel and communication to the Core had failed in the Hundred Years of Darkness. We saw that a local response was needed for local concerns. So we set aside our private lives and took up our public offices. We were needed, we were asked… we served."

"How can it be 'service' to seize the reins of power? I can accept attachments, even marriage, but dynastic power seems antithetical to all that our Order teaches." Rogan clearly favored Lanius' side of this dispute.

"It was a Jedi Supreme Chancellor who restored the Galactic Republic after the Pius Dea crusades, was it not?" Altis asked rhetorically. "Another Jedi Supreme Chancellor -- the child of Revan, no less -- who rebuilt the galaxy after the Jedi Civil War. It was Jedi who held the Republic together for four hundred years before the final battle of Ruusan. Public service has always characterized the Jedi, and leadership through times of crisis is hardly antithetical to the spirit of our Order."

"But those leaders were elected," Lanius countered. "The Republic asked, and the Jedi served. That's hardly the same as hereditary rule."

"Were not the Jedi Lords asked to serve?" Altis answered. "You seem to define elected office as service, and hereditary rule as tyranny. Yet how many elected tyrants can we find in history?"

"Corellia has been led for millennia by hereditary monarchs, some of them Jedi." Cerulian said. "And our system has been a model of peace and prosperity for the galaxy. Indeed, it was only after the dissolution of the monarchy and its replacement with an elected Diktat that we see a rise in institutional corruption."

"Masters, allow me to cut in." Rogan spoke. "The history lesson is appreciated, but this… the question is not how to reform the Jedi Order, but how to ensure it survives."

"What do you mean?" Altis asked.

"The only hyperlane out of the Deep Core passes by Coruscant. I… I wanted to see for myself. " Rogan's voice wobbled a bit. "I couldn't even bring myself to land."

The other Masters waited patiently for Rogan to collect himself.

"I should start at the beginning. Tython is an old world, and in its long history, certain places picked up a pall of the dark side. There's a temple that predates the Republic, spanning a canyon unfathomably deep. It gives my Jedi a headache to even approach it. In the hills are remnants of a Sith fortress, perhaps 1200 years old. In the fortress is a pedestal, where a Sith holocron rested for two hundred years. It was sought by the last surviving Sith from the Battle of Ruusan, pursued by five Jedi knights -- he overpowered and killed them on that very ground. I know what that feels like, what the stain of death and darkness does. Like listening to your stomach churn, wondering which direction it will send the half-cooked, half-digested food within."

Altis set aside the cookie he'd fetched from the tea service. "Thanks. I wasn't hungry anyway."

Rogan smiled half-heartedly. "Coruscant… isn't like that. It's worse, much worse. I have little talent for sensing the future, but even someone with poor vision can tell when a blindfold has been wrapped around their eyes. The closer I approached the Temple, the less I saw, and the more I understood. The Force had changed."

The other masters knew that his story was not yet told, and held their questions.

"I remember Naboo, the memorial for Master Qui-Gon Jinn's death. This wasn't like that either. It wasn't like anything I'd ever felt. Betrayal and anger and pain and loss and sadness and fear and… everything, all of it, too much to be endured. And somehow, I felt none of it. The closer I approached, the 'too much' became too little. 'More' became less. I found myself desiring, even chasing after a sense of numbness. To go about my day, to not engage with anyone else, to lose myself in emptiness. To live without living."

A minute passed, as Rogan collected himself again.

"A Force Wound?" Lanius' question pierced the silence, as his sharp eyes pierced Rogan's.

"Yes." Rogan bowed, to the soft inhalation of shock from Altis and Cerulian.

"So," Cerulian began a short while later. "This is what she meant."

"Stars... a Force Wound beneath the Coruscant Temple?" Altis spoke in an almost hollow voice.

"A Force Wound beneath Coruscant," Lanius corrected grimly. "Once a Wound develops, it does not require Force sensitives to expand. Any dying or suffering soul may feed it."

"And this one's on a planet with trillions."

"Mother of stars." A tear tracked down Altis' face, his mind wheeled in futility.

"So. That is why we are here." Cerulian spoke into the silence, as four Jedi Masters from four Jedi sects gazed at each other with unseeing eyes.

Anjuf Bendtz was a Blackguard, and right now, he was acting like it.

"That was so. Crikking. Awesome!" He practically skipped out the door. "Communing with the Force for perfect comprehension of technology, effortless installation of cybernetic aids with flawless organic synchronism… creating technological life?! I am definitely returning for Day 2." He pulled out his Conclave agenda. "Where is it, where it is--there! 'Cheriss Sair, Intermediate Mechu-deru, Room 6024, mid-morning Centaxday… aw, that's three whole days I gotta wait?"

He wasn't watching the other exit from the seminar.

"Anjuf?" He didn't hear their greeting at first. "Wilder Bendtz, is that you?"

Finally he looked up. "Wilder Vax! Wilder Florez! You're here too?" He smiled at the sight of familiar faces.

"Where's the fashion show?"

His smile did not last long. Anjuf soon remembered why he'd spent little time with Vax or Florez during their days of Minion training back on Mustafar.

"Yeah, I didn't realize this seminar was a formal occasion," was Vax's contribution.

See, Anjuf Bendtz was a Blackguard, but right now, he didn't look like it.

The Jedi EduCorps provided a standard uniform to all members. Alas, that uniform was often a custom-tailored Dervdisi suit.

Centuries earlier, the EduCorps had been responsible for training three members of the same family: all from a low-class tailor's family on Dervdis, all prodigies, all lucky enough to win their planet's lottery. The siblings had aced the coursework, received scholarships to three Core World universities to train in fashion design, and went on to co-found the galaxy's most exclusive fashion emporium.

In gratitude for the EduCorps' efforts, they offered the Jedi a steep discount on all tailored attire.

"Is that… are you wearing Cyrene silk?"

"Yes?" Anjuf answered hesitantly.

To be fair, the suits were exceptionally comfortable.

They were also exceptionally posh, in sharp contrast with the Blackguard's traditional look: dark robes deliberately designed to be uncomfortable (pain leads to anger), made of whatever low-quality materials were available on a backwater planet like Mustafar, and treated with a chemical bath so they could be worn in the middle of a lava field without spontaneously combusting.

'Coarse' would be a profound understatement.

"You gotta dress to impress when you're up to your elbows in hydrospanners and grease?"

"Or when teaching younglings how to count to ten?"

"Hey!" Anjuf protested. "EduCorps studies show that the suits impart dignity and respectability, which improves class cohesion and educational attainment."

Vax and Florez stared at each other, then burst out laughing.

"He just said that?!"

"What a clanker!"

"Sure, I see it now; the suit fits. You don't just look as prim as a protocol droid; you sound as prissy as one too."

"Yes yes, sit up straight, mind your manners… or 3PO here will give you such a scolding!"

Anjuf had even chosen his colors to pay his respects to his Blackguard heritage: coal-black Cyrene silk, because black absorbs all light (just as the Blackguard seek all knowledge), alongside deep red accessories, because growing a red-toned synthetic crystal was a symbol of a Minion's technical skill.

Not to mention (it almost went without saying) the classic red-saber-black robe look was just better than other sects.

It wasn't like being a Jedi, with their 'mild' blue and 'tranquil' green glowsticks. Oh, you say you're a special Jedi? Congratulations, you get a pale yellow lightsaber crystal. Oh, you want a different color? Sucks to be you, heretic; have a blue crystal. And their robes? Brown, with tan highlights? How useful, for a dirt farmer.

Most Blackguard were privately convinced that so many Jedi fell to the dark side because they preferred the dark-side look. Black and red was cool.

Unfortunately, Anjuf was beginning to realize a posh black suit with red highlights would never be cool.

"You say the duds make you dignified? How much dignity can you really have, dressed up as a red-throated tit?" Florez continued.

Suddenly, Anjuf felt an invisible hand poke the small of his back, then run a finger up his spine. Then push a foot between his own to adjust his stance. Then two hands adjust his shoulders and arms. All in barely enough time to blink, his posture had changed.

"Hey, tiger."

Vax and Florez blinked.

Even as they spun around, Anjuf had noticed the sleek form of Cimmeria Sundown shimmer into existence by the door.

This Cimmeria only had eyes for him.

"I like a man with style," she leered at him, winked as she approached. "Like the lord of the cacodemons, walking 'neath the sun just to spite all the miserable mortals. Red like flame," even as she said it, Anjuf wondered if his tie had really just ignited. "Black like the dark," and there went the lights. She turned on the two Blackguard. "You boys ever heard of the cacodemons?"

They uneasily shook their heads.

Cimmeria smiled. It wasn't a nice smile. "Well, how about we get you acquainted?" With a wave of her hand, a gout of hellfire erupted from the floor, and Vax and Florez were bracketed by two eldritch creatures, each resting one dimension-rending paw on a shoulder.

"Bye bye."

With a faint cry, Vax and Florez were flung backwards into silence.

"That's better." Cimmeria nodded firmly to herself, then turned back to Anjuf. "Don't worry about them. They'll be fine, once they have a chance to re-think their life choices. Illusions are so much fun if you are as creative as me."

With a twitch of her finger, the corridor cleared of darkness, Cimmeria reappeared two feet from where she'd been standing, and Anjuf's tie somehow un-burnt itself.

He started to slump in astonishment, but a single finger again prodded the small of his back.

"Ah, ah." Cimmeria warned. "Those Sith wannabes think their robes make them tough. But no one messes with a suit if you wear it right."

Anjuf felt almost violated, though his posture was markedly improved.

"You ever teach local religion and mythology class in EduCorps?" She waited. "No? Well, let me tell you then. Most worlds tell tales of the devil. If they think he's real, they make 'im a laughingstock. 'Proud soul, cannot bear to be mocked.' But if they think he's a myth, they make 'im as close to the devils they know. Him: a being who beheld the galaxy and said, 'Screw it, Imma do things my own way.' Don't matter how posh he looked; you know he can raise hell just by thinking it."

Cimmeria turned and pinned him with a glance.

"Don't matter what you wear. Walk like that, talk like that… you can wear whatever outfit you like." Cimmeria had gathered clouds of darkness around her without Anjuf noticing, and now they suddenly vanished again as she cast a sincere smile at him. "Just take me. I sure stand out in a crowd, but no one sees me 'cept those I choose. I can go anywhere in a minute or an hour, and no one knows where or how to stand in my way."

And with another wink, her form shimmered away again, leaving Anjuf alone.

"What. The. Kriff?"

Riphath Althean, head of Unseen University, waited by the shuttle bay with impressive patience. The witches of Dathomir were notoriously punctilious -- some would say 'bilious' -- so he knew he needed to make a good first impression.

At last, the representatives of the Singing Mountain Clan arrived.

"Clan Mother," Riphath bowed as Augwynne Djo approached. "We are honored by your presence."

"I thank you, steward. So this is what Lady Ciaran has done with the wreck?" Djo looked around with an impassive gaze.

Then Riphath noticed as another figure approached from behind Augwynne Djo.

...Approached very slowly.

Mother Rell finally planted herself in front of Riphath, ignoring the other witches left in her wake. "You are Riphath?" she asked in a frail voice.

"Yes," he answered.

"I am Rell." She licked her lips. "I have a story to tell."

"Mother Rell," one of the junior witches whined, "Can it at least wait until--"

"Quiet!" The elderly Rell commanded.

Augwynne Djo waved her hand to the others, giving Rell the floor.

"I have a story to tell." She licked her lips again. "When I was very, very young. Barely 80. A ship came to our world."

"The Chu'unthor," Riphath nodded.

"This ship was larger than any we'd ever seen. And it was falling, falling from the sky. Its engines gone out. But it fell soft, like a feather in a gentle wind. The ichor lifted it, like a hand lowering it to the surface of Allya's world." She looked almost wistful.

"Yes, we know -- the Chu'unthor crashed on Dathomir."

"It landed in the tar river, past the winding glen below the Singing Mountain. We went out to meet it, a full war-band. We found them as they were leaving the ship. They sought food, water, shelter. Demanded it as rightful due. Would not pay the toll. They did not expect our war beasts, or Allaya's gift. We took them captive. Held them. Questioned them." She paused. "And do you know the name of that ship?"

"...Was it the Chu'unthor?" Riphath wasn't quite sure how to respond.

"You'll never guess," Rell continued with evident satisfaction. "It was the Chu'unthor!" She dramatically revealed, quizzing Riphath's face to see if he was surprised.

"...Really? Go on." Riphath swallowed the other words that came to mind.

Some of the younger witches behind Rell facepalmed at her theatrics.

"A week later, another ship came to Allya's world. A party of Jedi. The old one, the eldest… they called him Yoda. He approached our camp alone to negotiate. The clan mother then was canny. So was this Jedi elder. I was young then. I interrupted them. Said foolish things. Did foolish things. Yoda… he saw me. Judged my heart. And when the time came, he saved my life. So it was thanks to my foolishness that the deal was struck."

Here she paused, licking her lips at the suspense. Or perhaps they were merely dry.

"The clan mother agreed to release the Jedi and the crew. Yoda agreed that the ship and its contents would remain, that the Jedi and the Republic would give up all claim to the wreck and would never again visit our world." Rell paused. "I agreed… I agreed to protect the reader-tapes, the ship's copy of the Jedi Archives."

Riphath caught his breath.

"Yoda spoke to me. He foresaw a time, he had seen a vision… that in my lifetime, a young knight would come to our world. Would free our people from the control of the Nightsisters, those daughters of Allya turned down the paths of evil."

Rell turned and thrust one bony arm into the bag she carried. "He told me then..." She continued to feel around the bag. "Told me, that it would be a sign, that time was ripe. Seeds planted, ready for harvest. Told me, that when the knight came, when the Nightsisters lay defeated by an outsider… then I was to make a gift of the data-tapes."

With that, she brought her hand out of the bag, outstretched the same bony limb to Riphath… now clasping in care-worn fingers an archaic reader-tape.

Its appearance struck Riphath like a punch in the gut. He found it hard to breathe.

"Go on. Take it!" Mother Rell waved the data-tape in his face.

Suddenly worried that she might drop it, Riphath shook himself and accepted the gift, holding it with trembling fingers.

"And here." Rell motioned to the Clan Mother standing behind here, then motioned to the bag she carried. "Take this off of me."

Augwynne Djo carefully lifted it from her shoulder.

"Receive this as well," Rell commanded Riphath.

He looked inside. The bag was full, stuffed to brimming with data-tapes. Dozens of them. The Lost Archives of the Chu'unthor. It was not the secret Jedi library, nor the Holocron Vault, found only within the Coruscant Temple and accessible only to Jedi Masters or Councillors. But the Chu'unthor archives had held every record from the Coruscant Archives that was available to Jedi Padawans and Knights -- one of the largest private libraries in the galaxy

And now, the Lost Archives had returned home.

Mother Rell nodded to herself as Riphath took the bag from Augwynne Djo. Her mission was accomplished. Now for the second errand that brought her to the Chu'unthor.

Her sharp eyes moved past Riphath, scanning the other guests already registered to attend the Conclave. Soon, her gaze narrowed on an unexpected sight: a Gurlanin family of five had arrived shortly before the Dathomir party. Now they were all seated by an alcove looking over the Visitors' Guide and map.

Mother Rell nodded to herself. "As I have foreseen." She turned to Riphath. "Use them wisely. I know you will. You already have. Good-bye."

Riphath heard none of that. He did not notice the other Witches of Dathomir move past him to the welcome desk. Nor did he notice Mother Rell making a beeline -- a very, very slow beeline -- in the direction of the Gurlanin family, muttering to herself with great enthusiasm, "Puppies, puppies, puppies" as she moved across the corridor.

Riphath's attention was solely focused on the data-tape still clasped in his hand.

With a shuddering hand he activated his comms. "Darra!" He half-choked in an urgent whisper. "Darra, need some help here. Yourself, minions… gonna need you to send some company."

Riphath thought of the Chu'unthor central computers, how they'd deteriorated over three hundred years of disuse, how they'd been filling up with reports and records from the Chu'unthor's travels across the galaxy. He looked again at the datatapes in his hand, that near-complete collection of knowledge gathered by the Jedi Order over millennia of history. "We're gonna need a bigger databank."
---
Written by @Publicola and @Barondoctor

Last edited:
Jasper sighed. "Everyone says that. Probably another Force-forsaken cousin," he grumbled. "I'll let you get back to your reading."
I love how the meme is even spreading in universe
"Yup. I can imbue any meal I eat with any taste I choose. Like chocolate mint ice cream. Or prime rib. Or pina colada. Here, try one." The Jal Shey tapped a slice with a finger. It levitated toward the others while he returned his attention to his next slice.
This may be my favorite force power outside of combat.
"That was so. Crikking. Awesome!" He practically skipped out the door. "Communing with the Force for perfect comprehension of technology, effortless installation of cybernetic aids with flawless organic synchronism… creating technological life?! I am definitely returning for Day 2." He pulled out his Conclave agenda. "Where is it, where it is--there! 'Cheriss Sair, Intermediate Mechu-deru, Room 6024, mid-morning Centaxday… aw, that's three whole days I gotta wait
So, Cheriss apparently has her own fanboys now. Good to see that went full circle.
Was it the Chu'unthor?" Riphath wasn't quite sure how to respond.

"You'll never guess," Rell continued with evident satisfaction. "It was the Chu'unthor!" She dramatically revealed, quizzing Riphath's face to see if he was surprised.
Ah yes, I too have a crazy grandmother. The fact that she Wil probably run into Yoda again is even better.

"Anjuf. Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He looked closer. "You remind me of someone…."

Wouldn't that be half-siblings or nieces and nephews in Jasper's case, since Silas is his father instead of his grandfather? He'd be more closely related to them then Ciaran is.

... Unless there was another Silas before Silas somewhere further up the family tree, but down that way lies madness. Ciaran already has an abundance of cousins and aunts/uncles out there, but if there was another Silas further up the tree and we open the door for second and third cousins, then it could be anyone. It could be everyone. The Family Tree would be as vast and far-reaching as Yggdrasil.

The galaxy is not prepared.

The Greatest Troll of the Galaxy's Parents got the stick out their ass. Nice to know that her disappearance got them to gain a Heel Realization, what with the possibility of her being Dead being very real to them.
Before you go for the throat, it's been at least over a decade since she last saw them personally, which is a long enough time to think about why she ran away.

"Knowledge." He whispered to himself. "So. Much. Knowledge. Through passion I gain knowledge." He nodded in memory of the Blackguard Code. "Through knowledge I gain power. Unlimited knowledge. Unnnnnlimiteddd powerrrr!" he cried, hands uplifted in exultation.
You can tell the Blackguard are descended from the Sith with that modification of the Sith Code.

"Yup. I can imbue any meal I eat with any taste I choose. Like chocolate mint ice cream. Or prime rib. Or pina colada. Here, try one." The Jal Shey tapped a slice with a finger.
It levitated toward the others while he returned his attention to his next slice.
I am pretty sure that Force Imbuement doesn't work like that but its okay its still a hilarious image of the sage eating horrible tasting food but making it taste like the greatest delicacies.

"It'll fix itself. You'll get your gravity back in… oh, a half-hour or so." He bowed cheerfully. "Ta ta."
Again the Force probably doesn't work that way but its still a funny image. It seems this Jal Shey could be a troll to rival Ciaran given time but then all the best force sensitives have a sense of humor. Whether its Mace's deadpan remarks that make him a great straight man, Yoda's whimsy, or Obi-Wans snark I almost think you can't master the Force without the ability to crack a Joke or at least be sarcastic.

Anjuf had even chosen his colors to pay his respects to his Blackguard heritage: coal-black Cyrene silk, because black absorbs all light (just as the Blackguard seek all knowledge), alongside deep red accessories, because growing a red-toned synthetic crystal was a symbol of a Minion's technical skill.

Not to mention (it almost went without saying) the classic red-saber-black robe look was just better than other sects.
I love the fact that the Blackguard actually call their apprentice's minions while dressing in stereotypical evil colors. I can see the Blackguard as some of those relatively harmless 50s era supervillains with all the zany plans to take over the world opposed by the heroes, who don't really take there plans seriously while the Sith are the ones who take everything too seriously. I have to imagine if the Sith actually knew or cared about the Blackguard they would be mortally offended about them aping the Sith look without being Sith or following their ideology.

It wasn't like being a Jedi, with their 'mild' blue and 'tranquil' green glowsticks. Oh, you say you're a special Jedi? Congratulations, you get a pale yellow lightsaber crystal. Oh, you want a different color? Sucks to be you, heretic; have a blue crystal. And their robes? Brown, with tan highlights? How useful, for a dirt farmer.

Most Blackguard were privately convinced that so many Jedi fell to the dark side because they preferred the dark-side look. Black and red was cool.
I love how the Blackguard with complete unawareness mock the Jedi for their boring outfits and ignore how the Sith and Darksiders in general always seem to want to be edgy with black and red. Ironically the Sith are as lacking in variety as the Jedi they just have a different preferred wardrobe color. I think the Disciple of Twilight recognizes the irony at least or at least I think Cimmeria is a Disciple with all the illusions. She definitely has a point with calling some of the Blackguard Sith wannabes but thankfully I think at least some like Anjaf have grown beyond it even if his fashion choices are terrible.

Also @Barondoctor is Riphath's old contact among the Blackguard Masha one of the Blackguard present since it would be interesting to see what she thinks of the change in Riphath since she last saw him and his relationship with Darra?

Last edited:
I think the Disciple of Twilight recognizes the irony at least or at least I think Cimmeria is a Disciple with all the illusions. She definitely has a point with calling some of the Blackguard Sith wannabes but thankfully I think at least some like Anjaf have grown beyond it even if his fashion choices are terrible.
Cimmeria is the leader of the Disciples of Twilight. Hence vibrantly red and yellow outfit. Because when you can turn invisible on command, you can wear what you want.

This may be my favorite force power outside of combat.
It was a funny thought, therefore its now a thing.
So, Cheriss apparently has her own fanboys now. Good to see that went full circle.
Well, she has been and is still working on fusing the usage of the Force and Engineering, Cybernetics and Robotics to a considerable degree. Of course that would catch the interist of a lot of people. Also, Anjuf is just kinda VERY hyper about EVERYTHING right now.
Are you waiting for all of the interludes to finish to update the character sheets?
Yes.
I am pretty sure that Force Imbuement doesn't work like that but its okay its still a hilarious image of the sage eating horrible tasting food but making it taste like the greatest delicacies.
Again the Force probably doesn't work that way but its still a funny image. It seems this Jal Shey could be a troll to rival Ciaran given time but then all the best force sensitives have a sense of humor. Whether its Mace's deadpan remarks that make him a great straight man, Yoda's whimsy, or Obi-Wans snark I almost think you can't master the Force without the ability to crack a Joke or at least be sarcastic.
'The Force probably doesn't work that way' is a stretch when one talks about something that starts at 'lift a rock' and ends up at 'annihilate every living being around Ground Zero, wreck the planets climate and cause everyone who goes near Ground Zero afterwards migraines and nightmares' or 'throw a unstable wormhole at something'. Messing with taste and personal gravity is harmless and still in the range of the reasonable. Besides, its funny.
I love the fact that the Blackguard actually call their apprentice's minions while dressing in stereotypical evil colors. I can see the Blackguard as some of those relatively harmless 50s era supervillains with all the zany plans to take over the world opposed by the heroes, who don't really take there plans seriously while the Sith are the ones who take everything too seriously. I have to imagine if the Sith actually knew or cared about the Blackguard they would be mortally offended about them aping the Sith look without being Sith or following their ideology.
Well, the Blackguard were founded by someone who quite clearly left the Sith. Even dueled Skere Kann while doing so. In all honesty, with their aesthetics, beliefs and everything else they are pretty much a living insult to both the Jedi and the Sith. They just happen to exist so far below everyones notice that nobody knows or cares that they exist. Which allows them do their thing in peace.
I think the Disciple of Twilight recognizes the irony at least or at least I think Cimmeria is a Disciple with all the illusions. She definitely has a point with calling some of the Blackguard Sith wannabes but thankfully I think at least some like Anjaf have grown beyond it even if his fashion choices are terrible.
Cimmeria is the leader of the Disciples of Twilight. Hence vibrantly red and yellow outfit. Because when you can turn invisible on command, you can wear what you want.
Yep. She is the leader and she dresses like that to show off. Doesn't matter how vibrant she dresses when she can just turn invisible and/or throw illusions around. Also, because Barondoctor had an idea and could not be stopped.

Last edited:
How does the Force work? However the writers say it does. Nihilus has a (somewhat mythical) presence in the story here, so anything less than consuming an entire world is within the power specs. Far as the creativity? If the same Force can act on yourself, act on others, and act on the physical world then the only variations are in degree and style. (Luke's Death Star Valor, Obi-Wan's Stormtrooper Mind Trick, and Yoda's training Move Object are all within the OT. The building blocks have been there for nearly fifty years.)

The Blackguard left the Sith around the end of the New Sith Wars, when both the Jedi and the Sith had a dramatic event which reduced their scope and presence in the galaxy. They've largely benefited from being ignored.

As for whether or not Masha is there? Watch and wait.

Given the groups that you know are attending and the Unseen University aiming for "academic university study of the Force", I'm offering a double-omake-dice reward for any "course syllabus" or "department course catalogue" of at least 250 words (~1 page).

This includes:
Corellian / Cularin / Tython / Altisian Jedi
Jedi Service Corps
Blackguard
Jal Shey
Disciples of Twilight
Matukai
Ysanna
Luka Sene
Daughters of Allya (Dathomir Witches)
Vianists
Iron Knights

It probably also includes some form of Integrative Philosophy and any number of regular Star Wars academic disciplines as well as Physical Education / Skills Training.

Some may be more inclined towards philosophy (lecture courses), some more towards practical options (labs). Allowing for people already trained in a tradition to "test out" or "test up" should be on the table.

As an idea for the sort of thing I'm looking for? I made two of them for a Fire Emblem quest: one of them was primarily a "theory" class to help "elemental attack mages" learn a little bit of "healing and support magic". The other was designed for proficient "elemental attack mages" to help them specialize.

Last edited:
Interlude - The Conclave: Welcome Week
Chu'unthor:
While the invitations may have gone out a month ago, today was the date attendance was requested. Ossus was quite a distance out on the Outer Rim, after all. They'd entertained the early arrivals by opening up resources, demonstrating hospitality, and showing everyone the value of the establishment.

The response had been overwhelmingly positive and the "Introduction to Unseen University" program would be given in the largest lecture hall available on-ship. On the agenda were three speakers, all of whom were in the staff lounge across the hall from that lecture hall.

Riphath looked at Thrawn and Celeste. How is it I keep ending up in these gatherings where I'm the small fish? He had barely finished the thought before Darra's answering thought arrived in his mind. As you tell it, you've felt out of your depth since slightly after joining up with the Watchers. Then you learned the ways of the Force. As an adult. You've acquired skills from multiple Force Traditions. You died and came back stronger than before. You made friendly contact with the Ysanna and helped bring Ossus back into contact with the galaxy at large. I am here with full awareness of the fact that you are working for Ciaran and I'm actively helping. You have continued to succeed despite being pit against greater and greater endeavors.

Riphath blinked. All of those things I had a lot of help with. I very nearly failed at a lot of them. I mean, you were there for our exploration of Tython. Darra's answering thought was firm. Yeah. I was. You've got a lot of help here. Hiring some of your old professors from University of Byblos for the regular academic programs was a good touch. Proactively getting help instead of reactively. You've got the Jedi and other practitioners to lean on. It's not all on your shoulders. You don't have to play all the instruments, you need to know the song and how to guide the band and you can do that.

Thrawn smiled. "She's right, you know."

Riphath sputtered. "What. How did you…" his brow knit in thought for a moment. "Expressions. Even if a telepathic conversation might not make sound, facial expressions provide a lot of context and with enough context, you don't strictly need the text to know the subject. The day I get named a university president and you're still taking me to school."

Thrawn grinned. "Dr. Althean, the day you are a match for me in my field of specialty is the day I can retire, safe in the knowledge that the galaxy has plenty of people with sufficient skills to handle the inevitable challenges ahead. I do not plan for that day to come for a long time, nor do I plan on making it easy."

"Well, I've made it this far by dreaming impossible dreams and fighting unbeatable foes," Riphath answered.

"Good. This should be just another day for you then," Thrawn said. "Speaking of, my introductory speech is in about two minutes so I should probably head across the hall."

Darra Thel-Tanis stood at the lecturers' door to the lecture hall. "Good. You're on in two minutes, the whole stage is set up for sound so the podium isn't strictly necessary, and I may have used the sound check as an excuse to think about galactic marriage culture as it relates to surnames, parents, Jedi heritage…yeah I'm pretty sure the sound tech is probably a little weirded out, but he got over it soon enough to handle the sound mix properly. Stay off the stage apron and they'll hear you perfectly."

"A touch irregular to have a university vice president handling a basic sound check," Thrawn said, quirking an eyebrow. "That said, I'm glad you're well on your way to helping me win the bet."

Darra laughed. "Once he gets done with his speech, Riphath's going back to working on the databank architecture with a Blackguard that got EduCorps training. We're all wearing a lot of hats around here, even if none of us are wearing hats."

Thrawn looked at her properly for a moment. "Ah. That would explain the academic administrator suit being in Jedi browns allowing you to appear as both Jedi and administrator. Lightsaber in a concealed shoulder holster on your left, no?"

"If you get all that from a casual glance, I'd hate to play you in Dejarik," Darra replied. "On the other hand, you learn about your opponent and yourself. Master Yoda always said that failure was a teacher after all."

"I'd be glad to play a few games against you, maybe over the computer system," Thrawn said.

Darra opened the lecturers' door. "You're on, in both meanings of the phrase," she said, gesturing him forward.

Thrawn walked up to the podium, a picture of poise and self-control. "Greetings. You're all here for the introduction on Unseen University: What is it?" He paused for a moment. "Nobody heading for the exits and no panic-stricken faces tells me you're either all where you intend to be or cool enough under pressure to not wilt at the first sign of trouble."

A few laughs came from the crowd.

"Unseen University is an educational establishment founded by Lady Ciaran with the express purpose of bringing people together and sharing knowledge. It operates according to the Unseen Code, which as members you've all agreed to. In this time of war, a quiet place where people can get together and learn for the joy of learning is very welcome."

He paced over to the right. "You see, I'm from a place where Force Sensitivity is punishable by exile. In my travels after leaving my home, I became far more interested in the Force than I ever was back home, and every one of you knows something about the Force I do not. I, for one, am excited about everything this place represents. After all, only by allowing strangers to become friends can we find new ways to be ourselves. For now, though, I will cede the floor to the president of Unseen University, Dr. Riphath Althean."

Riphath walked up to the podium, exchanging nods with Thrawn on the way.

"Today will be a day long remembered in galactic history. Through the generous donation of shipboard facilities by Lady Ciaran, we will connect people across the galaxy and improve our understanding of the Force and each other. I've had the opportunity to study with two of the Jedi groups here, the Blackguard, the Matukai, the Disciples of Twilight, and a few others. I've had opportunities many in the galaxy have not and my understanding of the Force and of people has been dramatically improved by those opportunities, so I want to extend those opportunities to the galaxy. We've also brought on a number of professors from University of Byblos in a number of academic disciplines not related to the supernatural energy field that binds us all together. Physical Sciences in both theory and practice, Social Sciences in both past and present, Arts in both performance and perception; if there is something within the galaxy that any member wishes to learn, they need only seek out the coursework to begin their journey into a larger universe."

"Which brings me to an item of business: registration for classes will be coming up within the next month as we finalize course offerings for the coming quarter. The datapad in your room is linked to the student ID which was presented to you upon your arrival, and with that ID you'll be able to view courses you are qualified for. In the coming month we also expect to announce the procedure for prior-education assessment so that your course offerings are suited to your abilities. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I will cede the floor to our next speaker, Celeste Morne."

In much the same manner as he and Thrawn had traded places a few moments earlier, Riphath now traded places with Celeste Morne.

"I was all but born into the Jedi Order," she began. "I trained with them from a very young age. I learned to love the light side and hate the dark. In my wild and idealistic youth, I joined a sub-sect of the Jedi dedicated to destroying every hint of the dark side. My name was erased from the Jedi records and I was a private citizen until I was activated to go hunt. I did this for a long time until I was assigned to hunt a fugitive who went out of his way to save others, even risking his own life in the process."

She shook her head. "Shortly after that, we encountered a scientist under the influence of a Sith artifact. Stopping the artifact from hurting anybody else very nearly cost me my life, but due to the quick thinking of the fugitive who I'd grown to respect I was placed in stasis. I then spent a long time locked in battle for control of my mind and body with the Sith spirit occupying the artifact. In various moments it felt like he'd gotten an edge, and in others it felt like I had."

"The stasis chamber in which I was housed was recently purchased by Lady Ciaran and opened. She found a way to destroy the artifact and for the first time in a long time, the only mind in my head was my own. She told me that the Sith had persisted to this time, and that two of them were working to destroy both the Republic and the Separatists."

She paused, took a breath. "In those many years I learned a lot about patience and proper caution. I learned about the dangers of trying to fight a dangerous opponent alone." Her eyes went a little glassy for a moment and it seemed like she was having a flashback to those times. "The best times I had in those years were when I took my self, my consciousness, everything that I could call me, and I kept it as far from the Sith as I could. That worked for me in that situation, but that can't work for everyone forever."

"When I was five years old, a Sith decided to destroy my homeworld. My parents died when he burnt it to bedrock; they gave up their lives to save a few artifacts and data-archives they had spent a lifetime studying." She gestured to the viewscreen, now showing an image of the ruins of Ossus. "The crown jewel of the Jedi Order was made a ruin. Ossus, my home, was destroyed. This will be the fate of any Jedi, of anyone who wields the Force, unless we all work together to stand against the Sith that threatens the galaxy."

"In the time to come, we will discuss how we go about opposing the Sith. For now, we come together, set aside our differences, learn from each other. We join our strength so that when we free the galaxy from their terrible influence, we fight as one."

She looked at the planet on the viewscreen. "I, for one, want to see if anything remains of my once-vibrant home. Anyone interested in investigating what used to be the main Jedi Library is welcome to join me."

Last edited:
Back