Ten Pounds of Gold: A Pro Wrestling Quest

If you think anything said has been super mean I'm kind of concerned as what has to qualify as an actual back and forth in your opinion.
I saw your post before you edited it Droman. It's fine to argue, but when you take it to the next level and insult someone personally over something as unimportant as a characters nationality in an online quest, that's taking it too far.

To be honest, having a Brasilian background in the Atlantic seaboard can be somewhat meaningful. It's not like we're off the boat, which would provide us with a lot of strong potentials for connections, but being an American with German blood is fairly vanilla while being (nominally) latino opens up a lot of doors for creative potential and standing out amongst the crowd of wrestlers. I mean, we don't have to be a samba caricature as we as a character discover/remember that our father is Brasilian or something, but it lets us guide our motifs to be a little more unique. Our spinning kick can be spun into a capoeira-inspired move, for example.

Also, this discussion has gotten way overblown and you guys need to step back a little. No matter what you guys are saying about German/Brasilian votes, minimap_op doesn't deserve the kind of hostility he's getting.

I also don't know wtf this conversation is doing, but Brasil makes a ton of beers and has a very vibrant bar culture. The undertones of filial piety as cornerstones in our culture also provide a lot of potential for nice parent-son relationships that imply support years after we've left the nest. I do understand voting for familiarity, because most Americans are way more familiar with European cultures, but it'll be fun to explore this facet of a career as something not so vanilla.

[X] Brazilian

Last edited:
I saw your post before you edited it Droman. It's fine to argue, but when you take it to the next level and insult someone personally over something as unimportant as a characters nationality in an online quest, that's taking it too far.
Which is why I edited it, as I too felt that was too much for reacting in the heat of the moment and being annoyed with minimap obstinate logic. @minimap_op - I'm sorry if you've found me aggressive in this discussion. Much of what was said (the pisswater thing) was more banter and me finding your responses frustrating seems to have been partially miscommunication. Going overly aggressive at the end was uncalled for and for that I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Which is why I edited it, as I too felt that was too much for reacting in the heat of the moment and being annoyed with minimap obstinate logic.
Good on you for editing it out, because that was what I was originally referring to. Just very slowly, considering I'm doing it from my phone.

Brazilians love football/soccer.Tommy's dad can easily be a fan of it and have started a sports bar. Plus, this means Tommy can be promoted as some kind of BJJ expert.
He's not. Tommy has no idea how to choke someone for real.

And I'm not sure about the soccer scene in Portland, Maine.

Really, this vote is pretty inconsequential. Timmy's last name is 'Martin,' and there's been no indication that his s family is anything other than fully assimilation latex American culturally. Every indication in the story points to him being more or less white(if he were obviously mixed race, it would have come up). That and his last name make any ethnic based gimmicks pretty hard to sell.

I voted Brazilian because it sounded cool.

Edit: @Redhawk sorry if it seems like I'm targeting you. Our son just happens to be the post I quoted.

Last edited:
Really, this vote is pretty inconsequential. Timmy's last name is 'Martin,' and there's been no indication that his s family is anything other than fully assimilation latex American culturally. Every indication in the story points to him being more or less white(if he were obviously mixed race, it would have come up). That and his last name make any ethnic based gimmicks pretty hard to sell.

Martins (surname) - Wikipedia

Could just say it was Americanized from Martins, actually.

And I'm not sure about the soccer scene in Portland, Maine.

I voted Brazilian because it sounded cool.

Edit: @Redhawk sorry if it seems like I'm targeting you. Our son just happens to be the post I quoted.

It's fine, not like you insulted me.

One fact that I don't know if many of you are aware of is that the Northwesteren US has a lot of Portuguese immigrants. I don't know about Brazilians, but I think there's be a decent market for football fans in the World Cup years.

While Tommy may not know jiu-jitsu, a lot of the sport is based on a few simple holds. Stuff like the Undertaker's gogoplata and armbars. Its not too improbable to think Tommy has at least passing knowledge of it.

Yokozuna was a Samoan who had never competed as a Sumo. Yet he was billed as a Japanese Sumo wrestler in WWF just becuase he looked the part. If Tommy looks the part (which he will with Brazilian heritage) it wouldn't be hard to pass him off as a BJJ expert. There's also the fact that we just met that Persian Punisher guy who liked us a hell of a lot. He used a unique submission style which could mesh well with trying to pass Tommy off as a BJJ expert.

Last edited:
I'm aware it's a plausible Brazilian name. Anything is a plausible Brazilian name, which is part of the reason I voted for it.* but to an American audience, it only signifies whitebread Americanness.

*I guess that sort of falls under "because it sounds cool"
It's not plausible. It's a very common Brazilian surname, my grandfather has that surname. We're great like that.

All Tommy has to do to look like a BJJ is to be big, have a thick neck, be tanned and cut his hair short. And look like he wants to murder people even though he has a stomach ache.

Last edited:
It's not plausible. It's a very common Brazilian surname, my grandfather has that surname. We're great like that.

All Tommy has to do to look like a BJJ is to be big, have a thick neck, be tanned and cut his hair short. And look like he wants to murder people even though he has a stomach ache.

Like this guy?

New Head canon achieved.

Yokozuna was a Samoan who had never competed as a Sumo. Yet he was billed as a Japanese Sumo wrestler in WWF just becuase he looked the part. If Tommy looks the part (which he will with Brazilian heritage) it wouldn't be hard to pass him off as a BJJ expert. There's also the fact that we just met that Persian Punisher guy who liked us a hell of a lot. He used a unique submission style which could mesh well with trying to pass Tommy off as a BJJ expert.
Yes, but Tommy looks white and has a generic American name. That doesn't stop us from trying a BJJ gimmick. There are tons of non-Brazilian practitioners. Hell the Undertaker isn't Brazilian.

But why bother?

If Tommy were visibly nonwhite, it would have come up at some point in the last couple dozen updates. Like, for example when he got in a fight with the rednecks and was questioned by the cops.

And yes, I know there are white Brazilians. I practice BJJ, I know a bunch of them. In this country, a white guy with a generic name is just white unless he makes a point of bringing up his ethnicity.

Last edited:
Fuck this. I originally voted Brazilian because whatever, but in the interests of not making this a thing:

[x] German

If Tommy were visibly nonwhite, it would have come up at some point in the last couple dozen updates. Like, for example when he got in a fight with the rednecks and was questioned by the cops.

I'll decide which subgroup you are after the vote is closed. unless there's a specific option chosen in the winning vote. The main purpose of this vote is to finally give Tommy a physical description; don't want to stretch it out too far.

So GM states purpose of the vote is to give Tommy a physical description... and also gives us the American (Black) option. I think he can be non-white.

Last edited:
So GM states purpose of the vote is to give Tommy a physical description... and also gives us the American (Black) option. Pretty sure he can be non-white.
So he can be visibly black but still have a pleasant interaction with Police in a Baltimore suburb while under suspicion of having committed assault and battery against a couple and their child in family restaurant?

GM made it an option, but it would seriously strain my suspension of disbelief.

Back