Ten Pounds of Gold: A Pro Wrestling Quest

@Vesvius: Can we be Brazilian (???)? I'd quite like for us to be Brazilian (Lebanese) or Brazilian (Japanese) and stretch out our maximum a little more. Hell, there's also descendants of Confederate American exiles in Brazil, so Brazilian (Confederate American) would also be funny.

Last edited:
@Vesvius: Can we be Brazilian (???)? I'd quite like for us to be Brazilian (Lebanese) or Brazilian (Japanese) and stretch out our maximum a little more. Hell, there's also descendants of Confederate American exiles in Brazil, so Brazilian (Confederate American) would also be funny.
Fun facts for people who don't know Brazil.
1- Our president is Brazilian-Lebanese
2- We have the biggest Japanese population outside Japan and Sao Paulo has more Japanese than any Japanese city except s handful of them. Also our "Chinatown" is a Japanese neighborhood.
3- American Confederates created a town called Americana (American in Portuguese from American City)

Just saying. I don't see much benefit for being Israeli, not like we're joining Mossad or getting secret Krav Maga training, or it would be useful much, since we're wrestlers not killers.

And German. I'm confused. Why?

Last edited:
Fun facts for people who don't know Brazil.
1- Our president is Brazilian-Lebanese
2- We have the biggest Japanese population outside Japan and Sao Paulo has more Japanese than any Japanese city except s handful of them. Also our "Chinatown" is a Japanese neighborhood.
3- American Confederates created a town called Americana (American in Portuguese from American City)

Just saying. I don't see much benefit for being Israeli, not like we're joining Mossad or getting secret Krav Maga training, or it would be useful much, since we're wrestlers not killers.

And German. I'm confused. Why?

Eh, I just didn't want Israeli and nothing else seemed like it had anything going for it in terms of winning.

[X] Brazilian

I'll decide which subgroup you are after the vote is closed. unless there's a specific option chosen in the winning vote. The main purpose of this vote is to finally give Tommy a physical description; don't want to stretch it out too far.

Also, current tally:
Vote Tally : Original - Ten Pounds of Gold: A Pro Wrestling Quest | Page 67 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.7.5

[X] German
No. of Votes: 8

[X] Brazilian

[X] Israeli
No. of Votes: 7

[X] Japanese
No. of Votes: 3

[X] American (Black)

[x] Spanish
No. of Votes: 2

[x] Canadian

[X] Half Chinese Half Black
No. of Votes: 1

[X] Australian

[X] Hispanic

Total No. of Voters: 36

I'll decide which subgroup you are after the vote is closed. unless there's a specific option chosen in the winning vote. The main purpose of this vote is to finally give Tommy a physical description; don't want to stretch it out too far.

Also, current tally:
Vote Tally : Original - Ten Pounds of Gold: A Pro Wrestling Quest | Page 67 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.7.5

[X] German

[X] Brazilian

[X] Israeli
No. of Votes: 7

[X] Japanese

[X] American (Black)

[x] Spanish

[x] Canadian

[X] Half Chinese Half Black

[X] Australian

[X] Hispanic

Total No. of Voters: 36

The obvious choice is that he's the descendant of German-Jewish Immigrants who married into local Japanese-Black (mixed) families. In Brazil.

He runs a bar so German Beer. Not every choice has to be about Tommy. In fact choosing MC's dad's nationality for potential future benefits strikes me as way too gamey.

I mean it also helps build our kayfabe character. Antonio Inoki, who in some respects is the godfather of Japanese MMA was and is a professional wrestling legend who was billed as "Antonio" to pretend that he was a Japanese citizen from Brazil, which really added to his allure and prestige in the early days of his career before he explode onto the scene by founding New Japan Pro Wrestling. It's so synonymous with his character that even though he converted to Islam, rescued Japanese POWs in Iraq and elsewhere and has promoted a lot of wrestling peace festivals and run for public office and won on a number of occasions that he's never changed his identity.

I mean it also helps build our kayfabe character. Antonio Inoki, who in some respects is the godfather of Japanese MMA was and is a professional wrestling legend who was billed as "Antonio" to pretend that he was a Japanese citizen from Brazil, which really added to his allure and prestige in the early days of his career before he explode onto the scene by founding New Japan Pro Wrestling. It's so synonymous with his character that even though he converted to Islam, rescued Japanese POWs in Iraq and elsewhere and has promoted a lot of wrestling peace festivals and run for public office and won on a number of occasions that he's never changed his identity.
That's exactly what I mean? Tommy's dad isn't a wrestler. Picking his dad's nationality for benefits to Tommy just rubs me the wrong way especially since it's being done right before he spends time with his dad for the Holiday. I'd much rather pick the vote based on how we see them interacting here and now while Tommy's on a bit of vacation. To me that means a big old German bear of a man running a bar that prides itself on great German beer.

That's exactly what I mean? Tommy's dad isn't a wrestler.
.... Neither was Antonio Inoki's dad. He just had the double gimmick set out for him to get people's attention.

Picking his dad's nationality for benefits to Tommy just rubs me the wrong way especially since it's being done right before he spends time with his dad for the Holiday.
As opposed to just picking him because you want a German daddy and German beer?

I'd much rather pick the vote based on how we see them interacting here and now while Tommy's on a bit of vacation.
This is basically gibberish. There is nothing about his dad being Brazilian or a Brazilian minority that undermines his paternal relationship.

To me that means a big old German bear of a man running a bar that prides itself on great German beer.
German beer is basically pisswater* given great PR by Oktoberfest. The implication that only Germans can run a bar is therefore invalid. You might as well make the dad generic American if all you want is feelz.

*As all beers are. Absolutely haram, everyone.

Last edited:
As opposed to just picking him because you want a German daddy and German beer?
Dude someone found the votes for German unusual after typing out a spiel about how having him Brazilian could help Tommy's career. I explained why I voted German and added that I personally disliked the reasoning that was being used as the most repeated selling point for Brazillian. That's not a knock against people who are sold on it it's a personal opinion. It's okay if you like picking that for this vote. I'm not saying your some monster for it or that your reasons are invalid. I'm saying they don't apply to me because I'm not using that reasoning for this vote because it rubs me the wrong way. I'm going to vote based on my ability to picture and see Tommy's relationship with his dad with the added cultural context this vote adds. That is why I'm voting German and that's what I explained in response to and I'm quoting the dude here "And German. I'm confused. Why?".

Dude someone found the votes for German unusual after typing out a spiel about how having him Brazilian could help Tommy's career. I explained why I voted German and added that I personally disliked the reasoning that was being used as the most repeated selling point for Brazillian. That's not a knock against people who are sold on it it's a personal opinion. It's okay if you like picking that for this vote. I'm not saying your some monster for it or that your reasons are invalid. I'm saying they don't apply to me because I'm not using that reasoning for this vote because it rubs me the wrong way. I'm going to vote based on my ability to picture and see Tommy's relationship with his dad with the added cultural context this vote adds. That is why I'm voting German and that's what I explained in response to and I'm quoting the dude here "And German. I'm confused. Why?".

... I think you're assuming a little too much in to my response. From my perspective at the moment the Brazilian culture does offer a number of minority sub choices that would be quite interesting. Just the visual of a Brazilian Confederate wrestler for example in the shape of Colonel De Beers would be quite amusing in the Deep South. Or a Brazilian Lebanese wrestler using his bilingual skills to try and jump-start wrestling markets in two or three different continents. Or even a Brazilian Japanese wrestler trying to out to the IRL legend Inoki.

And that's leaving aside simple Brazilian stuff. I mean Jean's probably quite simple himself you know.

In contrast, the Germans offer little more than pisswater beer*, Nazi wrestling villains and an EU passport. The last of which is great, but the EU wrestling market really isn't the biggest IRL despite some serious hotspots in the British Isles and one sizeable but ignored promotion in Germany proper.

*Again, all beer is pisswater. Absolutely haram.

You're changing reasoning with each post so I'm just going to quote the last one because you Abandoned the other one.

First, its not spiel. It's possibility. How Tommy looks will be based in part on his father's origins, and how a person looks Matters a Lot in Wrestling in case you didn't notice with all the race/ethnicity gimmicks around. Him being Brazilian would help a lot, since Brazilians tend to identify with anything that remits to them and is winning. We still consider Carmen Miranda the first Brazilian superstar even though she was born in Portugal to Portuguese parents and made her fame in the US.

Second, what in the hell is your reasoning for being German? German beer isn't good. Its only fame is Oktoberfest and the fact that the German immigrants founded the famous American beers a century ago (who are shat on by the world, rightfully). You want a decent Beer/Bar gimmick? Go Belgian or Dutch. But the main issue is, having a bar doesn't mean you have to be freaking European. That's just mind boggling. All nationalities have bars. Jesus.

... I think you're assuming a little too much in to my response.
Maybe but I definitely think you're completely missing the context reason and point of my post especially since the majority of all your posts are going on about what this vote means for Wrestling in the future. My post wasn't for convincing people of shit. Someone said Why German?. I was explaining why I was voting for German. You seem to keep replying to that by going on and on about why you're voting for Brazilian and spending most of it talking about something I explicitly said is a complete non-factor in my vote in response to my explanation. I honestly straight up don't get the logic train for why you're replying to me especially and I want to emphasize this with how you're replying to me if you you didn't take my post as an indictment against the Brazilian vote. Like how does my explanation for why i'm voting German and that I personally don't like voting for this for future Tommy wrestling reasons lead you to reply to me about all the future Tommy Wrestling reasons to vote Brazilian? The only part of this last post of yours that makes sense as a reply to mine to me is that you think German Beer and Beer in general sucks which great fine there's a reason for you not to vote German but let me quote myself for my reasoning here. "I'm going to vote based on my ability to picture and see Tommy's relationship with his dad with the added cultural context this vote adds." My ability to picture cultural context is a very personal thing of which nothing you say is going to be able to change because it has a lot to do with personal experience.

You're changing reasoning with each post so I'm just going to quote the last one because you Abandoned the other one.

First, its not spiel. It's possibility. How Tommy looks will be based in part on his father's origins, and how a person looks Matters a Lot in Wrestling in case you didn't notice with all the race/ethnicity gimmicks around. Him being Brazilian would help a lot, since Brazilians tend to identify with anything that remits to them and is winning. We still consider Carmen Miranda the first Brazilian superstar even though she was born in Portugal to Portuguese parents and made her fame in the US.

Second, what in the hell is your reasoning for being German? German beer isn't good. Its only fame is Oktoberfest and the fact that the German immigrants founded the famous American beers a century ago (who are shat on by the world, rightfully). You want a decent Beer/Bar gimmick? Go Belgian or Dutch. But the main issue is, having a bar doesn't mean you have to be freaking European. That's just mind boggling. All nationalities have bars. Jesus.
The fuck? I haven't changed shit. I said I was voting for German because German Beer. The wording may have been way too fucking dumbed down but I meant I was voting based on how I saw it meshing with what we knew so far of his dad and my ability to put the two to fucking gether and imagine Tommy's relationship with his dad which is why in a follow-up post I explained that. I haven't said jack fucking shit about having to be European to have a fucking bar. What I've said is I'm ME picking fucking German because I personally have an easier fucking time imagining the relationship in which the cultural context is being raised in a German Bar and that I personally want to vote for this based on the ability to contextualize and see that relationship. Do you have an easier time seeing that with Brazillian? Great. Fucking vote for that and I applaud you for it! Do you not give a shit about that and want to vote just based on Tommy's career? Great too. It rubs me the wrong way a little but that's my own personal fucking problem! But kindly quit with the bullshit of trying to lecture me on my ability to imagine the history of a characters relationship with his dad as he grew up in a fucking bar with him.

since Brazilians tend to identify with anything that remits to them and is winning.
I get the impression this is very true in your case on this vote and you're giving me shit unnecessarily as a result. If you are really personally invested in this vote maybe don't ask why people are voting for something especially if you're going to read shit into it that they haven't said.

I'm not that invested. I'm annoyed when someone without a point tells me I'm writing spiel without bothering to answer my honest question.

[X] Brazilian

Brazilians love football/soccer.Tommy's dad can easily be a fan of it and have started a sports bar. Plus, this means Tommy can be promoted as some kind of BJJ expert.

If Tommy's half German that just means he'll be saddled with a foreign heel gimmick. I'd rather not see a Nazi Tommy.

I'm not that invested. I'm annoyed when someone without a point tells me I'm writing spiel without bothering to answer my honest question.
Have you never heard someone call something a spiel without a negative context? Cause I use it and hear it used to desribe a sales pitch someone personally doesn't care about all the damn time. That's exactly what the whole thing about how the choice affects Tommy's wrestling is to me. A pitch for why someone should vote Brazilian addressing things I don't care about. No need to feel personally slighted by that. And I answered the question honestly though poorly at first. The reason I'm voting German is because due to personal experiences and upbringing I can imagine the relationship between Tommy and his Dad easier. Said personal experience means bar + German Beer has an obvious connection so that seemed to suffice as an explanation to someone was selling the Wrestling career angle for the choice when I hadn't thought through the fact that I was explaining stuff to some dude on the internet without similar experiences.

Maybe but I definitely think you're completely missing the context reason and point of my post especially since the majority of all your posts are going on about what this vote means for Wrestling in the future.
It might have escaped your noticed, but the players had Tommy decide he wanted to change wrestling somehow. Being Brazilian opens venues to possibly do that.

My post wasn't for convincing people of shit. Someone said Why German?. I was explaining why I was voting for German. You seem to keep replying to that by going on and on about why you're voting for Brazilian and spending most of it talking about something I explicitly said is a complete non-factor in my vote in response to my explanation.
You said you wanted German beers. I said German beers were shit, that Germany was a shit country to adopt as daddy's homelan and expanded on why I thought Brazilian was a good idea with IRL documentation of how it has been used in the sport of professional wrestling.

I honestly straight up don't get the logic train for why you're replying to me especially and I want to emphasize this with how you're replying to me if you you didn't take my post as an indictment against the Brazilian vote. Like how does my explanation for why i'm voting German and that I personally don't like voting for this for future Tommy wrestling reasons lead you to reply to me about all the future Tommy Wrestling reasons to vote Brazilian?
See above.

Last edited:
People are getting very salty and very mean over something that is so incredibly unimportant.

Back