SV has an Imaginary Number problem

Kei's point is well made. As an aficionado of Hong-Kong thrillers and Japanese and Korean drama, I can name numerous Asian actors from various cultural background but before I became interested in such fictional works I would've been hard pressed to do the same without immediately referring to the circle of actors and actress known in Hollywood for the martial art movies they've stared in.

I think that, looking for representation, one can fall prey to a certain kind of trap : in the face of a general lack of representation at the regional level, someone from African descent, whereas from Gabon or Ivory Coast for example, will look to the black characters most represented on screen (African-American, Black British etc.) as a kind of universal stand in. The negative corollary being that the strong representation of a segment of Asia, through Japan's anime/manga industry, can lead one to take the Japanese characters involved as similar universal stand in, and judge that comparatively to their own lack of representation, Asian people are, in general, better represented than people of African descent.

In the case of SV's fictional content, which was the subject matter of the thread at the beginning, one can say, if we stay at that level of generalization, that Asian people appear far more represented than black ones. But the truth is rather that Japaneses, inasmuch as LNs mangas, animes and video games inspired by them or sharing their aesthetics are a primary interest of the writers of the forum, are better represented. (Well, if you take their portrayal in those fictional works as accurate, which is another debate altogether.)

...Personally, my preferred solution to this sort of issue is just to set stories in the far future, postulate extreme transhumanism, and just have all the human characters be robots or somesuch.

...Personally, my preferred solution to this sort of issue is just to set stories in the far future, postulate extreme transhumanism, and just have all the human characters be robots or somesuch.

This would work for settings in the far future, it does not solve the issue of lack of POC characters in fiction. It's basically the equivalent of decreasing the number of vehicular incidents by banning them in the first place.

I've never really cared about representation so I've never thought about it but now that I know about it I should probably start fixing that in my settings. I'm the Co-DM in my D&D group and we usually stay in 'safe' areas that people could know of at least vaguely having our group within Not!HolyRomanEmpire clashing with corrupt and destructive Lords and Priests.

I was thinking about derailing them into traveling to Not!QinChina to gather gold, ships and soldiers to help them fight the Not!HolyRomans but setting up a few sessions in Not!Mali could be more fun. Maybe lure them over to go explore there with rumors of the great wealth held inside. I'll have to do some research over what their cities would look like, what their rural areas would look like, how hot it would be (for exhaustion and survival rules) their armor and generally plot out a new adventure.

I'd like to thank whoever first brought up adding Not!Mali into something, this sounds sick as hell.

I think... Maybe what SV needs is another group like the Pink Flamingos. And I don't say this to steal their thunder or their ideas, but I think it's a good idea for us to have user cabals for similar groups who might feel that they don't have good representation.

This thread has pushed me to go for one of the ideas I was thinking of in The Good Prince.

Thank you.

As has been mentioned, including black characters in a standard fantasy would be easy. Including African characters or characters who might otherwise count towards proper representation, is hard.

Not really? Depending on the worldbuilding you could insert civilizations based on older african cultures and still do a decent job of fleshing out their culture.

NPR has a podcast called codeswitch, there are TED talks on the subject, and, truth be told, if you're not black, you are intimately aware that you have to rely on stereotypes. 'Black people talk like X'.

Depends. I grew up around black people around the cities so I have some experience with how they talk like. However, in my experience it seems more like "if you grew up in the ghetto you end up talking in some way like this" rather than "black people talk ghetto".

ON THE OTHER HAND, if there's any group of people that is just as dominantly represented in Fantasy and Sci-Fi than White Europeans, it'd definitely be East Asians. But that might not be fair to say, given how a good deal of that representation is going to be in your 80's THREAT JAPAN/JAPAN WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD/INSCRUTABLE ASIANS style depiction as you might see in Samurai Cop/Battletech/Rising Sun; and how the other half of that is going to be "Asian stuff is cool" and "While you studied the book, I STUDIED THE KATANA" style stuff.

Most depictions of east asians are pretty bad mostly because all that the west has to go off of is wushu films and kung fu flicks that were dubbed into english and lost all of the history and culture of chinese opera they originated from. Or you end up with the nerdy asians who are computer geniuses or something but can't into social interaction. And most writers just go with that because it's "cool". Asian men have had a long history of being sexually disempowered, either by being portrayed as some form of beta male, or being a largely sexless character. Asian women as you know are often nothing but walking trophies for the the audience to oogle and the presumably white MC to claim as his waifu.

Like, compared to asians, at the very least I can say that the black community can enjoy having actual black leads in their movies. Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Will Smith, Chadwick Boseman, Samuel Jackson, etc. are all big-name actors. Here in the US we have to import our leads from China and Korea, and even then they only get thrown into sub-par comedy and kung fu flicks. We've only just recently gotten our first major asian romance movie in the US, which is singlehandedly fighting against decades of negative asian stereotypes in US cinema. Steven Yuen and Daniel Wu are more or less the only two major male asian actors in US cinema right now that I can think of, and I don't think we've gotten any major female actors yet aside from the girl in Agents of Shield (can't remember her name because I haven't had time to follow the show.)

On that note, Dark-skinned asians are really under-represented. Hmong, Laotians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. When Black Ops first came out, I was wondering if they were going to include something about the Hmong people since the game took place during the Vietnam war where the CIA trained a lot of Hmong people to fight for them but we didn't get any of that which was disappointing.

Which really sucks because most of those actors specialized in Chinese Opera, which included singing and acting in addition to martial arts.

Like, Jackie Chan is actually really good at singing because he grew up in a Chinese Opera school where he was taught to sing.

Many of these actors are actually really good at actually acting. There was a movie that Jackie did in China about how a group of well-meaning and close-knit villagers with dreams of living a better life in the city get corrupted into drug lords and gangsters. I can't remember the name of the film but I watched it a long time ago with some college friends. In there Jackie played as the more level-headed and "big brother" of the group, who has to slowly watch his closest friends get destroyed by the underworld--and he plays as a country bumpkin in that one. No kung fu moves, no police training, no stunts. But when they come to the US they're just stuck doing action or comedy flicks.

I thought I'd just offer my two cents as an Asian American myself on some of the asian perspective. I think it's a bit off-topic because I got too much into the movies part, but I think the movie industry also reflects a lot of depictions in pop culture in general.

Last edited:
Research and communication with others. Haven't we covered this already? I feel like I need to add it to a thread banner.

Research? Actually talking to people of that culture?

Multiple people in this thread have already mentioned living in areas where they never encounter black people of any stripe. At this moment in time, I'm in the same situation. How are we supposed to talk with black people about implementing characters that they would feel represented by? To my knowledge there isn't a hotline for that. Do you intend for us to do it here, on these forums? There are two whole black people in this thread after all, that's got to be enough to form a focus group, right?

I'm more than a little miffed at how thoughtlessly dismissive your replies here are, but maybe you actually know of some easily available resource for this problem. Is there some website I can go to where I can present a draft of my work to a large group of black people and ask them what they think of the characters? This isn't sarcasm, it would be immensely useful if that existed. I suspect, however, that it doesn't exist. I suspect that the only way to find enough black people to get a usefully broad base of feedback on the matter would be to intrude upon a black social space and start bugging people who are trying to connect with others like themselves and bond over shared experiences to instead waste energy on this outsider with nothing in common with them who's trying to write something they don't even care about.

What are we supposed to do?

Multiple people in this thread have already mentioned living in areas where they never encounter black people of any stripe. At this moment in time, I'm in the same situation. How are we supposed to talk with black people about implementing characters that they would feel represented by?

I live in Tasmania, which is one of the whitest parts of the extremely white Australia. But despite all the various controversies around indigenous treatment in this country, it's easy to be out of touch with that kind of stuff. It doesn't effect us in our day to day. I have a black friend that I've known since school, and we went through law together and got admitted at the same time, but I have a friend from the US who was actually shocked when she got to Australia after living her life in New York and seeing how white it is here.

So I do understand that. But I'm a big internet user, and and I'm a big believer in the internet's utility in this regard. There's a lot of material out there which can be of assistance to a prospective writer: black journalists talking about high level political issues, blog posts from dedicated activists, social media posts from whoever. Langhuage issues aside, you can reach out and talk to or learn from basically anyone, anywhere on the globe.

There aren't a lot of easy resources, but I think if you want to be an author you need to be ready to put in the hard yards.

Do you intend for us to do it here, on these forums? There are two whole black people in this thread after all, that's got to be enough to form a focus group, right?

Dude SV isn't the only online community in the universe. The entire internet is your oyster, you can go anywhere and experience any minority perspective you want with a couple keyboard passes into a search engine and a click. God knows that's how I got somewhat educated on this shit, by stumbling into things written by marginalized people, reading them, and paying attention to what they were saying. Like even on Twitter alone there's a ton of materiel flying around out there.

What I'm saying is go, be free, you can finally go beyond SV (even though this is literally your first message on this website) and gain access to a world of new perspectives and information for which there is literally no restriction to access.

Multiple people in this thread have already mentioned living in areas where they never encounter black people of any stripe. At this moment in time, I'm in the same situation. How are we supposed to talk with black people about implementing characters that they would feel represented by? To my knowledge there isn't a hotline for that. Do you intend for us to do it here, on these forums? There are two whole black people in this thread after all, that's got to be enough to form a focus group, right?

I'm more than a little miffed at how thoughtlessly dismissive your replies here are, but maybe you actually know of some easily available resource for this problem. Is there some website I can go to where I can present a draft of my work to a large group of black people and ask them what they think of the characters? This isn't sarcasm, it would be immensely useful if that existed. I suspect, however, that it doesn't exist. I suspect that the only way to find enough black people to get a usefully broad base of feedback on the matter would be to intrude upon a black social space and start bugging people who are trying to connect with others like themselves and bond over shared experiences to instead waste energy on this outsider with nothing in common with them who's trying to write something they don't even care about.

I don't think most people would mind talking to you about their experiences if you asked nicely. It might be a bit awkward to open with it, but a general "hi, I want some help making sure minority voices in my fiction are legit, do any of you folks have time to help?" isn't something that people will immediately dismiss. It's an earnest question there, after all, and people can spare some time to give some advice.

It depends on how important your character's backstory is to the story. If you want to write an immigrant story about an asian family being taken in by France after the Vietnam war and you are a US-born hispanic person, then you might be shit out of luck when it comes to authenticity. However, if you want to write a black protagonist for a story that takes place in a New York-inspired fictional city, then you can write them by doing some research on life in Eastern US intercities. IMO it doesn't have to be 100% accurate unless you're writing historical fiction. It's fiction after all and even the average black reader will probably forgive some things under suspension of disbelief.

For example, for all of the new trilogy's flaws John Boyega's character seems to be popular among the black community. However he doesn't really have any of the, say, characteristics of a person of african descent that would supposedly make people identify with him. Rather, he has character traits that make him likeable, and the fact that he's a black and likable character is generally enough to make people identify with him. His character in Pacific Rim is kinda the same thing, although he has a few more real-world traits added to his character to ground him in reality.

Honestly, if you write a good character and make them black/asian/hispanic/latino you can usually get away with only including maybe one or two aspects that you can focus on to help make them more authentic. But you also have to think about whether or not it's important to the story. For example, if you're writing a superhero story where your black character is supposedly fighting against aliens and multiversal gods to protect the Earth, but then spend all of your story just focusing on trying to make his "blackness" authentic by writing more about his life in the inner cities instead of him punching cthulu in the face, it's going to turn off your readers because it will start to feel patronizing. I believe Marvel comics has had this problem in the last decade or so trying to promote diversity while forgetting that first and foremost their stories are supposed to be about superheroes saving the day. So you get these comics where almost nothing happens and it turns off the readers a lot. On the flip-side, if you're trying to write historical fiction you will have to include multiple aspects of their life in order to make them more realistic characters, which may make it harder if you don't have the perspective or experience. The book "The Clay Marble" is a good example of this, although it doesn't go too much into specifics as it is aimed at younger readers but gives you enough to give you an idea of how life was in a war-torn Cambodia.

The Static Shock animated series does it fairly well why touching on many aspects of black american culture to make the setting feel grounded in reality, but it doesn't necessarily focus so much on those aspects such that they detract from the story which is about a boy learning to become a superhero. One episode in particular touches on traditional african culture as well, but is mostly used as a backdrop to reinforce the theme of the episode while Static and Anasi do their superhero thing. The aspects that it chooses to highlight are kept broad enough that they could apply to a lot of black people everywhere in the US, while making them feel represented by having a black main character as a superhero. Back then it was kinda the closest thing to a black version of spiderman that we had in the mainstream media, and it was well written and executed to the point that it has become a classic among audiences of all colors. Morgan from the crime drama TV series Criminal Minds has a somewhat stereotypical backstory: he was a kid who grew up in the ghetto but beat the odds and was able to make it to become an FBI agent while also having a successful career in football. There's nothing wrong with doing stereotypes so long as they are done well, because growing up I knew a lot of black people in school who were really into sports and used it to help them get scholarships in college. Some of them also were involved in literature and calculus classes as well, so it's not that unbelievable to have black characters that touch on some character archetypes. For example, one of my friends was a math genius and he was an asian guy.

On the anime side Agil from SAO is a side character who is black. But he's written well enough that he comes off as a believable character. He came to japan to open up his own shop with his wife. It does reflect Japanese life to a degree, as some parts that I traveled to when I was in Japan had a number of black and Muslim people running their own shops and stores. While Agil may be an extraordinary example, as he runs his own fairly high-class bar, it's believable within the suspension of disbelief.

Just remember that at the end of the day you are writing a story, so as long as your characters feel like real people I think the audience would come to accept them and--in the case of minorities--come to feel represented by reading about them. There is also no problem with writing minority characters as supporting characters as well so long as they are written well. My Hero Academia has side characters that are far more popular than Deku because they are written so well by Horikoshi. Casca from Berserk is beloved by a black girl I know as one of their favorite characters because she's fairly well-written even though she's the love-interest of Guts and is a side character.

EDIT: I also have to second what @Crimson Fight posted. The community here on SV is quite diverse if you look beyond our anime and video game themed avatars. I've chatted back and forth between one of our Muslim members here on this site for advice and insight into the culture and the politics of the community. It's a great way to learn.

Last edited:
On one hand, I don't think we need less Asians in stories, even if they are highly signal boosted by things like Anime, Video Games, and K-Dramas and the like.

I missed this but I wanted to address this as well.

Asian people, at least in my experience, run into a lot of the same issues that black people have in media. Namely, the "white" asians are the ones who get largely focused on, whereas we get next to no representation of people living or being from southern Asia. Hmong, Laotians, Burmese (I think they count as asian can't remember where Burma is), Thai, Vietnamese, Mongolians, and many others get lost and forgotten under the sea of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean asians. The stereotypical asian is the light-skinned, super smart but nerdy guy who's super good with computers and math, but we hear nothing of the dark-skinned cambodian kid who grew up in the projects and had to join a gang because he was getting beat up by some black kids down the block from his house and some vietnamese gangs downtown where he goes to school. Like with a large part of the black community, there is a large part of under-represented asians who also suffered and still suffer from poverty and gang violence, despite what popular media would have you believe about asians (successful and hardworking across the board).

Gran Torino was a great film because it tried to portray the problems that a lot of cambodians, vietnamese, laotians, experienced in modern America when escaping from the vietcong in the 70s. A lot of sons end up becoming gangbangers because their parents are illiterate and completely unable to adjust to american culture, essentially leaving their kids to fend for themselves in an alien world. Walt teaching Toad the ropes of American culture resonated with me because I understood that maybe a lot of kids would have done better if they had a father figure like Walt to help show them how to fit in.

Last edited:
@Kokurokoki is making some really good points. I kind of want to argue with the language bit, but that'll distract from the other things so maybe later.

Like, end of the day, it's less authenticity of your dialogue than it is a certain way of thinking that will most likely make or break your representation. E.g.: I have only ever seen white writers suggest that there is someone so perfectly average that they can fit into any ethnic group with equal ease. This fantasty of the perfectly average individual is a quintessential conceit of those who have the luxury of not being Othered on a daily basis. As much as I might wish for genuine markers stating 'this dude is clearly from Honduras, or is Hmong or Zulu' I also acknowledge that I will probably miss 95% of your hard work (e.g.: It is very likely that no will notice or even be aware of the meaning of any of the translated Xhosa expressions I (once, so far) peppered into Wakandans' speech and those who do notice will prob say 'good try, but wrong'). What matters then, in a practical sense, is less positive representation (the presence of markers of authenticity) and more the absence of negative representation (markers of inauthenticity).

I doubt that it is possible you can truly have one without at least some of the other, but that's a different discussion.

I brought up RWBY's faunus and Season 1 Korra before as examples of horribly done fictional minorities. Yet, their storyline, taken without all the trappings, mirrors that of Erik Killmonger's in Black Panther who won critical acclaim and people genuinely felt conflicted about. An oppressed people try to instigate violent revolution to overturn the status quo on behalf of their oppressed brethern. Erik had significantly less opportunity to argue his case than did the non-benders and faunus, but why does this guy (who has to be admitted is at least a little cartoonishly villainous having killed 3000 people off screen and his girlfriend on) get all the praise and the fictional ones feel completely hollow?

Because in Black Panther Erik Killmonger is acknowledged as being right. Full stop, no ifs and buts, his methods may be disagreeable and will likely result in tragedy, but his anger and goals are acknowledged to be legitimate. "You were wrong! All of you were wrong!" T'Challa yells.

And when Erik dies, it is staying true to who he is: the child that dreamt of the Wakandan sunset, the most beautiful in the world, and the adult who would rather death than bondage, who demanded freedom at any price.

And that resonated with audiences.

The overly long fight scenes, the dragging pace of the first act, the oddly floaty CG, the Border Tribe so easily going over to his cause, the fact that the movie felt both rushed and long - all of that was forgiven because the story felt real.

You don't see this in Korra or RWBY - both have cartoonish caricatures as villains. One's actually a member of the oppressing group, the other's a creepy, violence-happy pedophile (or so I understand, I didn't watch too far into recent RWBY). By de-legitimizing the villain you de-legitimize their grievances, and while it's an easy out, it just smacks of a writer handling a topic beyond their ability.

If you bring up hard questions, you need to be prepared to answer them in a mature fashion. Offhand, fictional minority wise, only Scar from FMA really goes the distance in asking and answering those questions. Edward doesn't really acknowledge the legitimacy of his grievances, but the strength of the writing is such that you can tell this is a kid, and although smart, still part of the Armestrian majority. All the good guys in the army hew closer to Scar's view: what happened was an unforgivable sin and what they did cannot ever be forgiven.

Now, you may not be interested in handling such weighty themes. Sometimes a black dude is just a black dude.

But make sure that 'just' doesn't get either too stereotypical - aka, Chadwick Boseman apparently just gave a commencement address at Howard describing the first acting gig he got: a character with an absent father and drug-addicted mother and he was like 'this is woah stereotypical' and then was promptly fired - or too generic. Because 'generic' usually ends up as code for 'white' and although I hate to bring this up, privilege and power tend to be potent blinders. Like I said earlier, it's not that white people are perfectly generic, it's that certain cultural conceits have begun to dominate storytelling spaces and that dominance is assumed to be the default. Basically no one in Shanghai lives in a house - and yet it is still the kind of house kids will draw.

Writing minorities you need to be prepared to acknowledge differences in world view. And those differences can't simply be papered over: what informs their lives will be their lived experiences. If you cannot sympathize with many different kinds of people, that is the journey you as a writer need to be prepared to go on. In order to write Erik Killmonger you have to sympathize with Malcolm X, not the bad guy from your high school history textbook, the dark to King's light, but the man whom even his enemies described as possessing ironclad self-control, the man who preached black empowerment indepedent of white rule, the man who could even make the white cop responsible for wiretapping him go 'he kind of has a point?'

You can disagree with him, obviously! But if you consider his views illegitimate from the outset, you cannot write his story. It is a task that will be beyond you. Similarly, if you cannot symparthize with minorities because you don't know any, and you do not know their stories, then, once more, writing them is a task that you will fail at. This is the simple calculus of ignorance and one I think everyone can intuitively understand.

Edit: All this to say, this is where you start. Be open to other ideas and other views. A writer is ultimately a thief, the broader your ability to understand, the greater your ability to write. So put in the time and do the research.

Last edited:
This would work for settings in the far future, it does not solve the issue of lack of POC characters in fiction. It's basically the equivalent of decreasing the number of vehicular incidents by banning them in the first place.

I also find it insulting to imply that it's natural we'll all just fade away. I know on a long enough time table humanity will be extinct some day, but for people who have been subject to genocide and the survivors treated as after thoughts, it's very disheartening at the very least.

On that note, Dark-skinned asians are really under-represented. Hmong, Laotians, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. When Black Ops first came out, I was wondering if they were going to include something about the Hmong people since the game took place during the Vietnam war where the CIA trained a lot of Hmong people to fight for them but we didn't get any of that which was disappointing.

I'm actually working on a story right now with a Hmong-American as one of the main characters.

Last edited:
what if we don't like transhumanism. What if we don't like sci-fi? What if we don't want to read about robots, but instead about humans who resemble us and who we can relate to? That's not a solution, at all. It's a dismissal.

I also find it insulting to imply that it's natural we'll all just fade away. I know on a long enough time table humanity will be extinct some day, but for people who have been subject to genocide and the survivors treated as after thoughts, it's very disheartening at the very least.

Matrix did something interesting with the 2nd and 3rd movies, namely in that in the far future there are very few white people left--at least in Zion. Zion had a shit ton of minorities living there, likely because during the war with the machines the most populated areas were wiped out first--along with a large concentration of white people. It's possible that Zion was formed from people who lived in 3rd world areas like Africa, the Middle East, and Southern Asia. Even large parts of China today are still living in extreme poverty. At least that's how I interpreted it.

I'm actually working on a story right now with a Hmong-American as one of the main characters.

If you don't include the Hmong Knife memes I will be sad.

Last edited:
The solution, of course, is to never actually describe your characters :p
Or at least be sufficiently vague about it that their ethnicity is largely up to the reader's interpretation. Although that's easier in more fantastical settings; if I set a story in a fantasy version of Early Modern Eurasia or on a distant planet centuries in the future then it's easy to play it off as "racism isn't really a thing in the setting". If a story is set in rural Yorkshire in the 1930s, for example, it becomes harder to have an explicitly non-white character and not at least acknowledge that they would stand out.

I think you may have meant to respond to something else I wrote, what you're quoting is something @Kokurokoki wrote even though my name is on the quote box.

You didn't ask for help, but I am always ready to provide unsolicited reference materials because I am a giant nerd: there's a pretty widely read (not to mention highly readable) medical anthropology text regarding some of the many difficulties in transition and clashing worldviews called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down that I highly recommend. It's trivially easy to find online, to the point I was expecting to have to refer your closest library and instead discovered that bing can locate it. There are also two recent documentaries (Hmong Memory At The Crossroads and Growing Up Hmong At the Crossroads) that seem worthwhile but having seen neither, I can't actually say whether or not they're worth watching. Also, I don't know where to watch them, maybe you can find them on youtube?

What would probably be the most useful is stalking a blog, but I can't help you there. :V

Best of luck with your project!

Or at least be sufficiently vague about it that their ethnicity is largely up to the reader's interpretation. Although that's easier in more fantastical settings; if I set a story in a fantasy version of Early Modern Eurasia or on a distant planet centuries in the future then it's easy to play it off as "racism isn't really a thing in the setting". If a story is set in rural Yorkshire in the 1930s, for example, it becomes harder to have an explicitly non-white character and not at least acknowledge that they would stand out.

This big D&D DM veteran that I follow had a really good idea for trying to worldbuild in a way that many locations end up being diverse in order to cater to players who were not white and/or wanted to play non-white characters. It was something along the lines of...

"Long ago there was this empire who conquered the world, and in order to ensure that their rule was widespread they took people of various backgrounds and professions and spread them all across their territory. Even after the empire fell, many places are full of people of varying ethnicities as a result of the empire's policies."

It's a simple way to explain why everywhere is diverse without having to do too much legwork, so you can focus on the actual elements of the RP.

If you don't include the Hmong Knife memes I will be sad.

lol. I will see what I can do.

I think you may have meant to respond to something else I wrote, what you're quoting is something @Kokurokoki wrote even though my name is on the quote box.

I was trying to cut and paste on my phone, and it got all sorts of confusing.

You didn't ask for help, but I am always ready to provide unsolicited reference materials because I am a giant nerd: there's a pretty widely read (not to mention highly readable) medical anthropology text regarding some of the many difficulties in transition and clashing worldviews called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down that I highly recommend. It's trivially easy to find online, to the point I was expecting to have to refer your closest library and instead discovered that bing can locate it. There are also two recent documentaries (Hmong Memory At The Crossroads and Growing Up Hmong At the Crossroads) that seem worthwhile but having seen neither, I can't actually say whether or not they're worth watching. Also, I don't know where to watch them, maybe you can find them on youtube?

What would probably be the most useful is stalking a blog, but I can't help you there. :V

Best of luck with your project!

I grew up with a lot of Hmong people and other Southeast Asians, so I have descent base of knowledge already and access to more if needed, but thank you for the suggestions. I've been meaning to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, and the plan is to finally sit down and do so after getting the next chapter done. I've also heard of those documentaries and can probably find some way to see them through a friend.

One thing I am worried about is the language, in terms of Green and White Hmong. I don't have a lot. With the exception of one brief exchange in the full language, it's all words here and there mixed into English. Still, it's something I would like to get as accurate as possible, so I'm going to get that checked before I post anything.

Last edited:
It's a simple way to explain why everywhere is diverse without having to do too much legwork, so you can focus on the actual elements of the RP.

Why do we need to "explain" anything in the first place, tho?

Life is strange, diversity is realistic, one of the knights of the round table was black.

Just roll with it.

Back