The thing is, we could have used DP anyways. We just vote to use it at this point. There really wasn't any point to tacking in [] 1 DP, at all.

@Spartan Altego Is this right? What's the point of DP if they can be used at any time, I thought that assigning DP to a vote meant that we were prepared to use DP on a vote. If we don't tack DP onto a vote then we really shouldn't be able to use DP thereafter on that action or, as @Dark Ness pointed out, putting DP in a vote is entirely pointless.

@Spartan Altego Is this right? What's the point of DP if they can be used at any time, I thought that assigning DP to a vote meant that we were prepared to use DP on a vote. If we don't tack DP onto a vote then we really shouldn't be able to use DP thereafter on that action or, as @Dark Ness pointed out, putting DP in a vote is entirely pointless.

The way I was interpreting it, If it is a single roll option, spending a DP on it means it adds a DP. If it is a multiroll option, then there is no point in adding a DP to the vote for the action, because we will vote on whether to use DP or not when we determine our actions.

The way I was interpreting it, If it is a single roll option, spending a DP on it means it adds a DP. If it is a multiroll option, then there is no point in adding a DP to the vote for the action, because we will vote on whether to use DP or not when we determine our actions.
Corvus is correct: the sub-vote for DP prior to a multiroll option only indicates how many DP you're willing to spend on a given encounter. A stopcap, if you will.
@Spartan Altego
Is our stat sheet up to date?
With our Piety score of 13 and Martial score of 14, shouldn't Combat Score = 27, and defense = 13?
Melee Attack = 1d20+27+Bonus

Secondly, are combat Actions supposed to target specific enemies (i.e., Force Push "Enemy A", then Lightsaber Attack "Enemy B") or is this level of detail abstracted out? And if combat lasts for more than 1 Round, do we have another set of votes later (and re-roll Turn Orders) or should we try to plan ahead now?

Thirdly, would the combined Combat Score of a large mob of critters be reduced as we kill off members? (This would perhaps be a lot more work for you to determine in the background... but would reduce the number of enemy actions somewhat "realistically".)
Darn, I changed the stats in my notes for the rolls but not in the sheet proper. I'll fix that up, thanks - checking the roll log it looks like I used the proper ones so no changes on that one for the initiative set-up.

You do not need to target specific enemies unless there is more than two participants in combat of significance. But in the case of mooks or groups such as the laigreks, they are simply counted as one individual for the purposes of targeting.

Yes, their CS will be reduced as you kill them: mainly because their health pool will be reduced and thus they'll start getting the effects of Injured, Battered, and so on.

Seems like in retrospect we ought to have made more DP available to give us more options, ah well we know for next time.

[x] Plan Get Our Hands Dirty

Not much point in using force push and the lightsaber given they are both straight damage dealers and the lightsaber does more, still its worth a punt for the first one to make sure.

[X] Plan Get Our Hands Dirty

Time to see how good Jax is in a fight. Since Force Push deals less damage than the saber and we haven't mastered Force Stun, we're left with hitting stuff.

I can get behind this as we are a basic Jedi our most effective weapon at this time is of course the lightsaber.

Seems like a perfectly good plan to me, the insectoid beasties will never see it coming. Depending on what the cave system is like we may be able to get extra damage with the force push if there's stalactites/stalagmites or other sharp edges to push things into. (But I'm not sure whether that is a relevant option in this combat system or if the default damage accounts for things like that).

Last edited:
[x] Plan Get Our Hands Dirty

Getting in a mixing it up in melee is how we do the most damage and we also need to work on increasing our Lightsabre technique anyway so this seems good to me.

Vote Closed!

Alright, @StormLord 's plan wins here so I'll get to work number-crunching and then writing the update. As the game progresses and Jax grows in versatility and power so too will the combat system be likely to evolve, especially since quests of this nature tend to go in unexpected directions and players always find ways to surprise. I'm always open to hearing suggestions or critique on what works, what doesn't, and how to make a reasonably simple but still engaging battle system. If anybody has some, shoot me a message.

In the mean-time, we've got a bug hunt to undertake.

"Oh my, look at all those laigreks stinging him. Jax Morrow don't care, Jax Morrow don't give a shit."

...How exactly do you model -2 HP? Shouldn't that be, you know, dead AKA Bad End?

HP doesn't work quite like that in this quest. The mechanics page is a bit confusing to me so I'm not sure exactly how it works but there's something to do with damage points (which are how you actually die), and losing HP doesn't actually affect you until it's low(below zero?) I think, and then it starts giving negative penalties to rolls due to its relation to damage points.
@Spartan Altego should be able to give a better explanation.

Last edited:
...How exactly do you model -2 HP? Shouldn't that be, you know, dead AKA Bad End?
Not exactly; Health Points are pretty much your buffer before you start actually taking damage. If you'll look on the mechanics sheet for how combat works you'll be able to get a better idea of what I mean. The short version is that you're considered undamaged until you drop below 0 HP.

Jax is at -2 HP, suffering from injured penalty.

He killed them.

He killed them all.

Which would presumably have to mean some level of skill increase, I imagine.

Wonder whether Dooku will take us to task for killing an entire colony of living things though, as it doesn't seem like a particularly Jedi-ish thing to do unless the Laigreks routinely kill or attack the local population.

Which would presumably have to mean some level of skill increase, I imagine.

Wonder whether Dooku will take us to task for killing an entire colony of living things though, as it doesn't seem like a particularly Jedi-ish thing to do unless the Laigreks routinely kill or attack the local population.
Well, they were attacking him.
He'll probably yell at us for taking insane risks, though.

Well, they were attacking him.
He'll probably yell at us for taking insane risks, though.

I feel like Dooku isn't the type to yell at us, we're more likely to get a firm lecture and then some sort of appropriate lesson-learning punishment. Although given what we know of Dooku so far, if we can give a good reason and explanation for why we did it that way, we can probably get away with only a lecture on leaping into danger.

Back