Spiderman: Far From Home

In fairness, five of the top six grossing movies this year are all Disney titles (Endgame, Lion King, Captain Marvel, then Aladdin in fifth and Toy Story 4 rounding out the top six). And the fourth is Far from Home itself, which is only a single degree removed from Disney. All of those made a billion plus. And Frozen 2 and The Rise of Skywalker will also be coming out this year. 2019 is absolutely and undeniably the year of Disney, and while it is unlikely to ever have a year like this again, its cultural power has never been more apparent.
Yeah but it's in the very narrow niche of "family entertainment" which always does better since every ticket sold is really 5 tickets

Like don't get me wrong, they're big but it's not even close to a monopoly

Also that's not the part I dont get. People talk like disney is controlling "culture" but just movies

It's intrinsic to Holland Spider-man and I'd like to keep that version around.

You know, I was about to post something to this effect.

Honestly, as much as I've heard (fair) criticism of Holland's Spidey as "Iron Man's sidekick"... I've actually really loved the way they've played him. In fact, I think it kind of hits the everyman concept of the character perfectly. After all, Peter is a post-Battle of New York teenager.

Like, I don't know how much that can be empathised, frankly. In the comics, Peter is the everyman, the 'normal' person among the Gods... but he's also a dude who has been there from the begining. There is a reasonable argument to be made that he's one of the elder statesmen of the universe. After all, he's the everyman... but he's the everyman froma time when the only heroes on the block were him and the Fantastic Four.

By contrast, MCU!Peter is a kid who has grown up with the concept of real life superheroes. He saw Tony's "I am Iron Man" moment. If you take the Iron Man 2 retcon as canon, he was there when Tony fended off a group of killer drone robots. He would have been... what, no older than ten when Loki started summoning the armies of Thanos to Earth, and the Avengers saved the day.

All of that would make one hell of an impression on the kid; it's why Peter's entire story line has involved him idolising superhero-types and trying to figure out where he fits into that world.

And honestly, I like it as a meta-commentary, too. The MCU is ten years old at this point; there are kids who weren't even born when the first Iron Man film was out. Peter kind of feels like a surrogate figure for the "second-generation" Marvel fans, the teens and kids who are watching the movies now.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd hate this attitude to be transposed to the comics. But I think it makes sense for the evolving cinematic universe, where the characters and the world will grow up and change and attitudes will shift.

The flipside of it, though, is that Holland's Spider-Man is so strongly defined BY his position in the MCU, and as the MCU spokesperson, and his themes are tied up in that universe in an explicit way. I mean, there're workarounds, certainly, but a Sony-produced, non-MCU Spider-Man: Home from Home would lose a lot of the themes, through-lines and characters Peter has had in this incarnation.

On the bright side, everyone upset about Uncle Ben never getting mentioned are probably going to get to enjoy seeing the old man get shot another time. :V

Last edited:
It's not like Spider-Verse showed Uncle Ben die another time beyond some generalities. You can show him in flashbacks and such without killing him one more time on-camera.

Fuck, they should make that a movie or a comic as a meta-commentary. Hell, they could even go full Animal-Man with it.
The end of the film will be where Peter, through hard work, stops the shooting, prevents the two car crashes, halts the mugging, prevents Ben from choking on the peanut, knocks him out of the way of the anvil and the piano, and disarms the nuke. As he rests,thinking he has saved Ben at last, Thanos steps out of an alleyway and punched Bens head off, then escapes in the Thanos-copter.

I think this could be good even if the deal falls through.

MCU's charm for me is the detail on more obscure properties like Guardians of the Galaxy. Giving Spiderman too much focus isn't my personal preference.

Meanwhile Sony could try somethings new

ie.ign.com

Spider-Man 3 Script Reportedly In the Works In Wake of Sony/Marvel Split - IGN

Sony is reportedly continuing work on the next Spider-Man sequel, but director Jon Watts may not be back.

How is Sony going to do a Spiderman 3, if it's a sequel to Far From Home, but has no connection or mention of the MCU, that'll just tick off people who'd feel cheated and lead to more calls on social media for Disney to buy Sony, so they can have the rights to Spiderman under Marvel again. As I've seen comment from people unhappy with Sony calling Disney to buy Sony so Spiderman can remain in the MCU.

ie.ign.com

Spider-Man 3 Script Reportedly In the Works In Wake of Sony/Marvel Split - IGN

Sony is reportedly continuing work on the next Spider-Man sequel, but director Jon Watts may not be back.

How is Sony going to do a Spiderman 3, if it's a sequel to Far From Home, but has no connection or mention of the MCU, that'll just tick off people who'd feel cheated and lead to more calls on social media for Disney to buy Sony, so they can have the rights to Spiderman under Marvel again. As I've seen comment from people unhappy with Sony calling Disney to buy Sony so Spiderman can remain in the MCU.
Maybe it'll be the third Amazing Spider-Man? That'd make this timeline even more bizarre.

Spider-verse wasn't about Peter, and Miles's uncle also dies.
It had a repeat rehash origin section for all the Spiders. Somehow it avoided directly showing Uncle Ben's death for Peter, Peter B., or Peter Benjamin.

Besides, both the PS4 title and the MCU managed to somehow tell their own Peter stories in their own continuities without retelling Uncle Ben's death. Surely there's some remote possibility something similar might be done.

It had a repeat rehash origin section for all the Spiders. Somehow it avoided directly showing Uncle Ben's death for Peter, Peter B., or Peter Benjamin.

Besides, both the PS4 title and the MCU managed to somehow tell their own Peter stories in their own continuities without retelling Uncle Ben's death. Surely there's some remote possibility something similar might be done.
And yet the biggest complaint I see about MCU Spiderman is that he doesn't whine about Uncle Ben constantly.

And yet the biggest complaint I see about MCU Spiderman is that he doesn't whine about Uncle Ben constantly.
okay.jpg

I've really no idea what you're complaining about at this stage, but given it's clearly not whether or not a possible reboot of Spider-Man in film would kill Uncle Ben on-screen again I find I don't much care.

Maybe it'll be the third Amazing Spider-Man? That'd make this timeline even more bizarre.
They were already adding some bizzare resurrections to the original Amazing Spider Man 3's script.

Maybe they could just have Andrew Garfield's spiderman regenerate into Tom Holland after getting his face caved in by the Rhino.

I mean, at this point Tony is just this incarnation of Peter's Uncle Ben, right? Like Far From Home all but made that subtext text.

I mean, at this point Tony is just this incarnation of Peter's Uncle Ben, right? Like Far From Home all but made that subtext text.

Honestly, the Tony=Uncle Ben comparison doesn't really work out straight. The movie plays it like a father figure role - which Tony is - but the context of Tony's death is so far removed from Ben's that the comparison falls apart.

Ben died because Peter didn't act; as Pete put in in Civil War, "When you can do what I can do, if you don't do something, and bad things happen, then it's your fault." It's the Death that teaches Peter that With Great Power There Must Also Come Great Responsibility.

For Tony, though... there was literally nothing Peter could do. Tony didn't die, so much as he sacrificed himself. Peter is going to feel guilty and blame himself, because that is who Peter Parker is, but he isn't responsible for Tony's death in any way. Mysterio's line in FFH, "If you were good enough, maybe Tony would still be alive" isn't blaming Peter for Tony's death, it's playing off of Peter's survivor's guilt.

Basically, to me, the difference between them is that Uncle Ben taught Peter an important lesson about what it means to be an adult, while Tony was teaching Peter how to be a hero, and I think there's room for both those things to exist in the same universe.

TL;DR, Tony isn't Peter's Uncle Ben, he's Peter's George Stacey. :V

I could see a Spider-Man 3 that's workable even with no MCU connection.

Pete's back home. The Mysterio reveals his secret thing had mostly been waved off as a hoax. Tho obviously some characters DO buy it, and it's a issue.

At Horizon University, Dr Curt Conners is working on fusing animal and human DNA to cure diseases. His lab assistant is Pete's friend Cindy Moon. He's ALSO interested in Spidey, obviously, and acquires a blood sample somehow. Peter bleeds in a fight? This provides Curt with a key DNA piece he uses to facilitate his research.

Cindy gets powers, becomes Silk? Curt goes full Lizard, the two have to stop him? And sets up other characters maybe.

Tom Holland and Kevin Feige addressed Spiderman's future following the split between Sony and Marvel.

ie.ign.com

Tom Holland and Kevin Feige on Spider-Man's Future After Marvel-Sony Talks Collapse - IGN

Feige said: "We told the story we wanted to tell."

Feige said he told the story he wanted to tell, well the story he wanted to tell has been left with a cliffhanger after the events of Far From Home, I'd be curious to see how the MCU is going to address that in the future!

I have to admit, that was a pretty brilliant plotline, watching a young boy grow into his role as a hero over several films, only for to watch him have his life destroyed and be forced into hiding just as he seemed to finally be getting the hang of things. I swear, Parker luck has gone meta.

But more seriously, I've heard that he might not be privy to what's actually going on in the negotiations so he's just playing it safe.

Okay, hear me out, what if the MCU replaced Spiderman with a totally original character who just happens to be played by the same actor? We can give him a funky animal themed name. Say Nightmonkey.
According to UpCulture.mojo, Kevin Fieri has confirmed this is true! Except not played by the same actor. They're bringing in an unknown actor named Tommy Netherlands to play Night Monkey.
Source:

It's a joke spoofing a lot of the reporting around this subject, particularly IGN contradicting their own source.

Back