Sonic The Hedgehog live action movie

...What's wrong with animate movies?

Why everything must be "live action" and super realistic these days?

I'm imagining a scene where early on in the movie he trips and gets his hands dipped in paint

Because people are scared of enjoying animated movies because they are "childish"

those people are not very smart...

That's still pretty weird looking. I think he'd need a total redesign to look good in CGI/live-action. I'd honestly rather Roger Rabbit it up and just have a 2d animated Sonic.

I mean what I really want is a 2 hour version of the Sonic CD intro but that's obviously never happening.

Because the Oscar committee flat out admits it doesn't watch animated movies and literally created the best animated film award because an animated film was nominated for best picture once and they never wanted that to happen again. That's how the film industry feels about animated movies.

Except that logic doesn't actually seem to fit. What people would be looking for Oscar prestige for making movies based off toys and/or video games?

Sure, but my point was more that I don't think that what you said really has any connection with the question of "Why make a live-action Sonic movie instead of an animated one?".
The answer is the same. Because the same thought process - "animated films are inferior kids stuff only young children would have any reason to see and by making it live action we're automatically making it superior and more appealing to a wider audience" that led the Academy to segregate the animated films was going through the heads of the people who made this.

The answer is the same. Because the same thought process - "animated films are inferior kids stuff only young children would have any reason to see and by making it live action we're automatically making it superior and more appealing to a wider audience" that led the Academy to segregate the animated films was going through the heads of the people who made this.
But young children are their target audience.

Ah bu the executives think that they'll make more money if they also get adults who are clearly repulsed by animation to watch it too!
Note that this is a live-action remake of a property that was most popular between one and three decades ago. Aka, they're specifically shooting for the "adults who were fans as kids in addition to current kids" market. And how do they think you do that? By making it not-animated to signal that it isn't Just For Kids this time.

See also, Detective Pikachu, Transformers, Dragonball Evolution, Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks...

Last edited:
Note that this is a live-action remake of a property that was most popular between one and three decades ago. Aka, they're specifically shooting for the "adults who were fans as kids in addition to current kids" market. And how do they think you do that? By making it not-animated to signal that it isn't Just For Kids this time.
Except don't the nerds actually demand these movies to be animated? I mean, they're making an animated Mario movie too, and nobody's up in arms about that beyond who they gave it to.

Except don't the nerds actually demand these movies to be animated? I mean, they're making an animated Mario movie too, and nobody's up in arms about that beyond who they gave it to.
I never said it was a smart decision. It is not in most cases, as should be evidenced by my earlier statement that the logic underlying it is the same as the logic behind segregating the animated Academy Awards.

I never said it was a smart decision. It is not in most cases, as should be evidenced by my earlier statement that the logic underlying it is the same as the logic behind segregating the animated Academy Awards.
I don't think Hollywood is THAT stupid, though. As far as I know, this is their judgement logic for why they do these movies, and it's got nothing to do with animated or non-animated:

And honestly, I'm thinking that studios go with live-action licensed-product movies over animated ones because it's just easier or cheaper to create live-action than it is to do animated.

Live action can easily be more expensive, though. More expensive actors generally, special effects harder and thus more expensive because you need higher-grade CGI and to render it special rather than just do it in-model...

Entertainment executives aren't dumb so much as they're extremely risk averse and slaves to trends and prevailing logic. The prevailing logic is that animation is an inferior artform with less marketability even though the former is absolutely untrue and the latter is very questionable. It generally takes years for the prevailing logic to completely catch up with fact so companies are often very late to catching the proverbial bus or stubbornly hold onto dying or dead trends.

Last edited:
Live action can easily be more expensive, though. More expensive actors generally, special effects harder and thus more expensive because you need higher-grade CGI and to render it special rather than just do it in-model...
CAN be. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I also said it could also be easier than animation. Anyone looked up the budgets for the Hotel Transylvania movies?

Another fix attempt from 4chan, pretty significant improvement. Adjusting the unnatural proportions of the design seems to do a lot to fix it.

Also, they gave him Nike shoes, but not these things?

also why did they color his hands white rather than just give him fucking gloves

Last edited:
Back