Sonic the Hedgehog General

I did in fact know that! He does have no problem with treating the heroines in a similar manner to the male heroes (well, he did try the whole 'kidnap Amy' thing in Sonic CD, but that's arguably because she was a kid and he doesn't go that route again).

Then in Sonic Boom he also takes vicarious fun in observing their relationship in a respectful manner ^^

So I'm being deluged with rumors about Archie mothballing the Sonic franchise -- word has it circulation has plummeted over the last year or so. Do you all think there's any truth to this, or am I being snowed?

So I'm being deluged with rumors about Archie mothballing the Sonic franchise -- word has it circulation has plummeted over the last year or so. Do you all think there's any truth to this, or am I being snowed?
Given the restrictions placed on it by Sega, I'm not surprised. From what I understand, the restrictions include no character development unless pre-approved by Sega and the characters are not allowed to have families. I understand that it's meant to prevent another Penders situation, but they took it too far and I think that's why the comics are suffering. Also as crazy as the old Comics could get, a lot of people were still attached to a lot of the characters in the story that has been literally erased from reality.

Just my take on things.

Last edited:

I have investigated this pretty extensively-

The answer is, the circulation is doing plenty fine (heck, it still supports two titles, you'd see it go down to one before a circulation-related cancellation, plus they did just do the big crossover not *that* long ago, so I can safely say this isn't the case), but there is some behind-the-scenes legal issue they're currently wrestling with involving Sega. It's unknown what the result will be, they have completed issues they can't ship til it's done. Even the writers and artists don't know the details of what exactly is being hashed out and it's a pretty sure thing that's because they aren't allowed to.

Basically, if it goes one way, this will be an odd hiatus and we'll be back to normal and find out what the deal was. If it's not, then the last issues have already came out.

And, yea, some people are trying to say the comic's tanked or yadda yadda, but that comes mostly from 'the usual suspects' who hate the comic, and doesn't at all fit with how it just suddenly stopped. They'd do a finale in that case, minimum.

thesevenwielder said:
From what I understand, the restrictions include no character development unless pre-approved by Sega and the characters are not allowed to have families

It's not 'no character development,' there's restrictions that apply to only a few characters (the game ones) and it didn't stop them from doing stuff like the werehog arc about sonic losing and regaining control. No romance for the game character tho, yes. As for families, I think they didn't like how everyone had long-lost parents/uncles/etc. which truthfully didn't add much to the story. I think we're better off without Tail's parents for example.

Keep in mind, there's been about 50 issues since then (100 if one includes universe), so... yea, they can tell good stories like this.

Last edited:
My formative experiences on the internet were done via sonic fan forums.

Those were dark times.

You know I really don't get the appeal of 'classic Sonic' which is just... normal sonic in different proportions ^^ Like, I don't *object* to it either, I just don't know why it's a separate thing!

Also, 'make your own character' thing is going to be massively successful. If the game's not complete crap, it'll do well. If the game's actually pretty good, it'll make so much money.

So, how many DLCs for Custom Heroes related stuff do you think they'll release?

Last edited:
Sonic Boom the cartoon is a treasure.

BTW has anyone read the Sonic X comics? There is this arc I enjoyed that has Eggman performing as a professional wrestler (luchador, actually) and cheating his way to victory. But then he has to fight Sonic without any of his tricks, and even though he inevitably loses it turns out he actually lasted longer in the ring than most of his bots do against Sonic.

BTW has anyone read the Sonic X comics? There is this arc I enjoyed that has Eggman performing as a professional wrestler (luchador, actually) and cheating his way to victory. But then he has to fight Sonic without any of his tricks, and even though he inevitably loses it turns out he actually lasted longer in the ring than most of his bots do against Sonic.

No, but I've had curiosity about them for awhile! If they'd ever had trades in the bookstore I'd have grabbed them.

And yea, Eggman can be a pretty formidable fighter.

Sonic Boom the cartoon is a treasure.

Eh, from what I've heard, it's become a literal parody of the usual action show flare these days and uses that to it's advantage.

It's been a parody pretty much from the start, it's really great stuff.

I mean, it does the occasional action episode, but yea, it hit the self awareness fast and hard.
Then again, the problems with shows is that it generally takes a season or two to find what it wants to be despite being something in the first place... if that makes sense.

Take shows like Steven Universe and Amazing World of Gumball, they started out 'meh' but became pretty damn good cartoons now.

Boom is an exception to that rule and hit the ground running.

Early on Tails made a device that translated people's true meaning from their words. Cue Amy covering up her secret love for Sonic, Sticks thinking it can read her mind and her actually saying exactly what she means, and Eggman capturing Tails and getting into a debate on their respective win ratios with Tails humoring Eggman's 50/50 assertion.

Last edited:
Back