Sonic the Hedgehog General

Well, from Sonic Saga 1, it seemed like Magic was just manipulating Chaos energies, (emerald, not water monster). And I'm pretty sure we already knew by the time the comics started that Robotnik could use technology to the same end in the games. So it seems like magic was sorta a paradigm thing? By which I mean the only real difference between an evil magician with an emerald and Robotnik with an emerald is how they conceptualize what they're doing, rather than capability.

Is that accurate to how things went?

oh goody

a Sonic thread

I can finally dump my idea for a fic where Sonic ends up falling through the atmosphere instead of Shadow someplace :V

Well, from Sonic Saga 1, it seemed like Magic was just manipulating Chaos energies, (emerald, not water monster). And I'm pretty sure we already knew by the time the comics started that Robotnik could use technology to the same end in the games. So it seems like magic was sorta a paradigm thing? By which I mean the only real difference between an evil magician with an emerald and Robotnik with an emerald is how they conceptualize what they're doing, rather than capability.

Is that accurate to how things went?

Hm, yea, it's not too far off. I mean, there's some magic stuff done without emeralds and chaos energies, there's elemental magics and crystal magic, but the peak magic is indeed Chaos Emerald based. The approaches to power converge around that point and chaos emeralds are the pinnacle of power.

At what point was Sonic Genesis? Was that right around the time of the reboot? If it is, I'm thinking of looking into it -- I prefer TPBs to hunting down back issues.

So as somebody who lives in Belgium (aka a place that isn't that into Comics at all.) Where would be a good place to get my hands on the comics? I'm most likely just planning to start from the point the reboot happened.

At what point was Sonic Genesis? Was that right around the time of the reboot? If it is, I'm thinking of looking into it -- I prefer TPBs to hunting down back issues.

A bit before, I think about two years. It introduced the concept of the Genesis Wave (obviously), but it's the second genesis wave, in the Mega Man crossover 'Worlds Collide,' that triggers the reboot.

Which was apparently *very* lucky timing- the legal case happened around the start of the event, so they had both an easy answer to 'why reboot?' and half a year to plan in advance how they were going to handle it, resulting in one of the most coherent comic reboots ever despite it happening mid-stream.

So as somebody who lives in Belgium (aka a place that isn't that into Comics at all.) Where would be a good place to get my hands on the comics? I'm most likely just planning to start from the point the reboot happened.

Does comixology work there/are you into digital? Because comixology is a route.

If you want physical.. maybe try Amazon UK or DE (I assume the shipping from there isn't too much!) or whatever other online bookstores are around there. Post-reboot collections begin with 'Countdown to Chaos'. I wouldn't expect there's a good source of single issues other than digital though....

Does comixology work there/are you into digital? Because comixology is a route.

If you want physical.. maybe try Amazon UK or DE (I assume the shipping from there isn't too much!) or whatever other online bookstores are around there. Post-reboot collections begin with 'Countdown to Chaos'. I wouldn't expect there's a good source of single issues other than digital though....

Comixology works fine. I don't really mind digital, saves me on storage space in my room as well.

As for physical copies. DE is probably an option if I ever want ones. But shipping from UK is probably going to be a bit of a bitch after the Brexit stuff gets through.
Ah well The xomixology works. thanks a lot for pointing it out.

So since this is the general thread for Sonic the hedgehog. Does anybody have any good fanfiction recomendations? I haven't really found much to write home about.

From what I understand the reason the Ken Penders lawsuit happened in the first place was because of the DS RPG Sonic Chronicles and of the Dark Brotherhood. How did that result in the lawsuit? Because the game took a lot of characters and inspiration from the comics that Ken penned, changed a few details slightly (ironically an official form of "donut steel") and didn't give Penders any credit.

From what I understand the reason the Ken Penders lawsuit happened in the first place was because of the DS RPG Sonic Chronicles and of the Dark Brotherhood. How did that result in the lawsuit? Because the game took a lot of characters and inspiration from the comics that Ken penned, changed a few details slightly (ironically an official form of "donut steel") and didn't give Penders any credit.

That's the kickoff point, but apparently the older contracts were also a bit shabbily written so he pushed that he owned all the characters he wrote for the comic at the time, and wanted to make a new comic with his Echidna characters completely separate from Sega. Reprints of his works also stopped, so... we don't know exactly how far things are pushed, but far enough that much of the fandom has a pretty dim view, especially considering, well, his characters are derivative to begin with.

Last edited:
Dakka! Indivisible! Anyone else!

Who're your favorite Archie Sonic characters?

Nicole is my fav, she's gotten so much development ^^

And of the new Egg bosses, I like Cassia and Clove the Pronghorns.

There wasn't much content involving them before Crisis on Infinite Mobiuses, but I have a certain fondness for all of Team Hooligans, and I also like the new direction they took Metal Sonic in.

Thinking of the Hooligans, I'm also a fan of the Babylon Rogues, Hawk/Jet/Wave, though I think the reboot might've killed their storyline. I hope they show up again! Treasure Team Tango was a fun story.

I like these girls a lot. They are very sympathetic.

As to favorite character? Probably honey the cat, she hits the right balance of good guy and cutthroat business woman.

Yea, Honey's fun. I wonder if she's going to get a SU story at some point.

An interesting theory I found about...Sonic Forces I believe though this is the first post of the theory I've found, I'll see if I can find more. So, what do guys think about such a proposal?

Last edited:
Sonic Boom, continually awesome ^^

Nicole's pretty great, though I also have good deal of fondness for the Secret Freedom Fighters.

Yea, the secret team was great.

Aggh, it's bugging me we don't know the status of the comic. All I've been able to find is Archie and Sonic are in some talks on the license and no-one knows what's happening.

Though one thing that's good for people here, they're doing a sale on Sonic (and Mega Man) graphic novels. They're really cheap, so if anyone's looking to pick them up, now's a good time.

Last edited:
I'm pretty curious what issue that even is. Looks like somewhere in the mid-range... after the cutsey early stuff, well pre-Flynn (And Yardley, more specifcally)

Back