Son of Death (30k Mortarion Quest)

Something to also keep in mind regarding how well Mortarion will get along with the other Primarchs is that we are dealing with a different Emperor this time around

This ties into the second reason for making the change, which is that I already spent most of AngronQuest writing from the perspective of "The Emperor is Literally The Worst", and I want to try something different this time around. I want the Emperor to be someone that a character could follow and remain reasonably sympathetic, which means I need to change the Emperor. So, I am.

He's not a good man. A great man, certainly, in every sense of the word… but good? No. His sins are many and the blood on his hands could drown a legion. But neither is he Uber Nazi, Space-Hitler Version Gold.

This inherently changes the way certain Primarchs are going to turn out though it's hard to know how different things will be without getting a better picture of how different Emps is

An Emperor who is at least sorta kinda trying to be likeable would probably not teleport Angron away from his friends and force him to watch them all get slaughtered for instance
Which in turn means Angron probably won't end up nothing more than a frothing berserker
Though Emps might still consider Angron a long term lost cause due to the Nails

Similarly, it's hard to miss the fact that someone like Curze is not ok, and an Emps who bothered to sit down for a second and figure out what and why could potentially dramatically alter Curze's fate

This wouldn't even necessarily require Emps to love them like family, just care enough to notice the various issues his generals have that might impact their performance
Hard to say at this point though

Last edited:
Something to also keep in mind regarding how well Mortarion will get along with the other Primarchs is that we are dealing with a different Emperor this time around

This inherently changes the way certain Primarchs are going to turn out though it's hard to know how different things will be without getting a better picture of how different Emps is

An Emperor who is at least sorta kinda trying to be likeable would probably not teleport Angron away from his friends and force him to watch them all get slaughtered for instance
Which in turn means Angron probably won't end up nothing more than a frothing berserker
Though Emps might still consider Angron a long term lost cause due to the Nails

Similarly, it's hard to miss the fact that someone like Curze is not ok, and an Emps who bothered to sit down for a second and figure out what and why could potentially dramatically alter Curzes fate

This wouldn't even necessarily require Emps to love them like family, just care enough to notice the various issues his generals have that might impact their performance
Hard to say at this point though
I wonder what it'll mean for religion guy, too. If the emperor is enough of a guy for him not to build a cult, will it mean that he does something else or that he jumps straight to chaos cults?

I wonder what it'll mean for religion guy, too. If the emperor is enough of a guy for him not to build a cult, will it mean that he does something else or that he jumps straight to chaos cults?

Many cults have been built around semi historical figures who were probably "just" men. I really don't think the Emperor being merely a massively powerful psyker, genius and galactic warlord is going to stop our man in Monarchia.

This Emperor might decide not to burn it just to make a point, though.

Depends on whether the Imperial Truth still exists. Heck, for all we know the Emperor didn't have time nor opportunity to get rid of religion and the whole thing is completely different.

Of course, what Lorgar wants is to pray to a being more powerful than him. That's either Big E or the 4 douches.

Depends on whether the Imperial Truth still exists. Heck, for all we know the Emperor didn't have time nor opportunity to get rid of religion and the whole thing is completely different.

Of course, what Lorgar wants is to pray to a being more powerful than him. That's either Big E or the 4 douches.

The Emperor having a more reasonable state atheist stance where the Imperium is aggressively secular and doesn't provide a helpful environment for religions institutions but doesn't actively persecute religion as long as it stays out of its way would be in line with the toning down of his nonsense this story is going for, maybe.

I can't see him doing away with the Truth all together, but it being closer to historical examples of state atheist polities than to "genocide every last priest, disappear every last religious text" you can get from canon seem logical.

[X] Humility. The Emperor may wage war on the stars and rule over billions, but has he ever laboured for his bread?

[x] Humility. The Emperor may wage war on the stars and rule over billions, but has he ever laboured for his bread?

[X] Camaraderie. It was mortal men that scaled the peaks of Barbarus and followed Mortarion into battle. What manner of men have followed the Emperor to this star?

[X] Camaraderie. It was mortal men that scaled the peaks of Barbarus and followed Mortarion into battle. What manner of men have followed the Emperor to this star?

I could definitely see a twist pulling the Imperial Truth in another direction if going like full comic book antitheism isn't quite the intended goal for this Emperor, in that he is still trying to erase and sterilize history and to do the thing where he's deliberately paving over all the old traditions and cultures built on survival through the Age of Strife, but by instead smothering it with a new constructed mythology of the state inhabiting such terms as "Crusade" and "Angels of Death" and so on. A new intergalactic nationalism of all humanity, or at least the Emperor's selected range of acceptable humans, imbuing his language of unity and order, civilization, science, etc.. with its own form of spiritualism, the 'human spirit' backing the civic religion of his Imperium (and his own cult of personality). Something that could somewhat easily find itself accommodating the Martian Priesthood as clearly the Gnostic Oneness of the Omnissiah is simply as a representation of the unique genius of the human mind and the iconic archetypes of its collective unconscious (and perhaps even be not as terrible to mutants and abhumans as the 40K Imperium maybe). Like the Mithraism and Neoplatonism of Julian the Apostate mixed with the Cult of Reason of the French Revolution.

And also thus the reason why all non-human aliens or dehumanized outcasts must be abhorred as the monstrous Xenos and the diabolical traitors serving as its thralls, why all forms of past or present interaction must be obliterated and erased from human memory. Something altogether more sinister than just "30K is 40K but the Imperium doesn't scream heretic yet".

I'm convinced by arguments that the Emperor could fake humility, and that it's far less easy to obfuscate the type of Empire he wants to build as demonstrated by the people who follow him. Also, this one strikes me as the possible avenue to early Primarch interactions.

Yeah I have to agree with arguments. Humility would be a great show, but Mortarion doesn't just need a show, he needs insights.

Of course ideally we'd go see the bottom of any Imperial world rather than the top and see how he treats the most vulnerable of his subjects, but I think we can also learn a lot by the relation between the emperor and his men.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Maugan Ra on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:34 PM, finished with 328 posts and 244 votes.

Scheduled vote count started by Maugan Ra on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:34 PM, finished with 328 posts and 244 votes.
Guess Emps' getting welcomed to the rice fields.

Well at least we'll get a show. I think this Emp will have no trouble with it.

But honestly I think he pissed off Mortarion by telling him farmer is below him so this is a well deserved reckoning.

Back