Skooma Cat (TES V: Skyrim)

Even by the point of the Fourth Era there is liquistic drift on the subject. Just as 'Imperial' became a catch-all term for people whose genetic stock originated in Cyrodiil, and Khajiit is a catch-all term for over twenty-plus furstocks of cat-people from Elsweyr, Daedra and Aedra have become catch-alls for beings who originate from Oblivion or Aetherius.

Wait weren't there some unkosher conjuration experiments going on there?
And can't you trade a person for a peaceful journey instead of money?

Also I'm guessing Karliah is lying wasn't this about the Skeleton Key?

Wait weren't there some unkosher conjuration experiments going on there?
And can't you trade a person for a peaceful journey instead of money?

Also I'm guessing Karliah is lying wasn't this about the Skeleton Key?

Perhaps not lying. Perhaps, just wrong due to a less than academic translation.

The most unkosher thing was the Necromancers, who will be... dealt with.

They don't have a name for him, that was explicitly said. They just have the translation. It would be like knowing a person's name meant 'Jade', but not knowing the name was 'Yu'.

Hmmm. If I remember that particular keep has one or two necromancers in it. Not sure if they're primarily necromancers, just that they used undead. Oh, and its near a word wall/Dragon Priest.

Chapter 34
I like to think that I've been building up the crazy over time, but if you disagree tell me so.
---
Chapter 34: All Ahead Full

Mohamara stood in front of a chalkboard, while his new… minions seemed such a callous word, but he couldn't think of something to describe them better. Faithful seemed too personal, none of them knew him enough to be faithful. But, they had asked him to teach them, so he did. And with his Mysticism skills locked behind some mental wall, he focused on what he still could do: Enchanting.

"Now, while the Nouveau style is certainly artistic, it's also an incredibly inefficient enchanting style," the pink cat explained while demonstrating the Nouveau style of conveying 'Fire' on the chalkboard versus the Runic and Nordic knot variant. "See, look how much more space it occupies? The Nouveau style is mostly for beginners, like you guys, because the increase in space is more forgiving of mistakes and easier to fix if you spot something wrong."

"Master," The Caller--who hoped to style herself as Mohamara's high priestess--looked up from her notes to ask a question. "You mentioned a 'Deco' style in the last lecture?"

"I'm getting to that, don't worry." Mohamara cleaned off the board with a cloth and started on the next drawing. "The Deco style is an advanced enchanting style--not as advanced as Mandala or Nordic knots, but still more advanced than Nouveau. Deco style's biggest selling point is it is sturdy. If you want to enchant a structure to resist earthquakes, weather conditions, tidal waves, or artillery--you use Deco. However, Deco style doesn't translate well to day to day use, which means that the most you'll use it will be in architectural work." He paused to look over his shoulder. "This will be on the test, any questions?"

That almost everyone but The Caller raised their hands disheartened Mohamara more than it should have.

It turned out that he needn't have been disheartened that there were so many questions. It wasn't because he had explained things poorly--though he had forgotten to mention a few things such as how they were going to practice their linework. The questions were because they were full of ideas and questions of 'why'; why they couldn't combine linework styles, and why enchantments created through Mohamara's methods didn't require a recharge.

Mohamara wondered if this was how it would have felt to be a teacher. Perhaps if he'd taken the courses anyway, he could do a better job of explaining things or answering their questions. But as it was, they seemed to learn the best from asking questions. And though they mocked him relentlessly for it, Orthorn would ask questions no one else did about important things. Such as 'how do you keep two nearby enchantments from affecting one another's performance'?

None of them had tried to pet him or pick him up except for when they had gotten him out of the bag. And they all wore robes modeled on his fur--pastel pink, pale blue, and pale lime green. He could tell they wanted too, especially the Nord women. But they didn't even ask for permission, they just… refrained from bringing it up at all.

Some of them had even come forth as former necromancers and asked how they could make amends. Mohamara gave them the Meridian answer to such repentance: "Reflect on the pain and suffering you have inflicted on those poor souls. Reflect on how it would feel to be in their situation. Work to make the world better for the rest of your days, and forget all that you knew on the vile subject except how to defeat it."

The most baffling thing had come almost a week after he'd been teaching them when The Caller let slip a factoid. "You know, when we found out your name meant 'I love you', many of the faithful expected something… more 'Dibellan' in your nature."

That stopped Mohamara from chopping up a potato for making into crisps to look at the High Elf with visible confusion. "It doesn't."

"Pardon, Lord?" The Caller stopped shucking corn to return Mohamara's confused look.

"My name doesn't mean 'I love you', it means 'bastard'." Dread began to creep into Mohamara--had they only summoned him by mistake?

However, The Caller actually laughed at Mohamara's response, like it was a little joke. "Oh, Master, I had no idea you knew bilingual jokes." When the cat didn't respond in kind, her amusement faltered. "Um. While 'Mohamara' does translate that way in ta'agra, albeit in a cruel interpretation, in Daedric 'Mohamara' translates as 'I love you'. Rather informally, too."

Without Mohamara's knowledge, the Sphere of Kindness reacted to this revelation and reached into his memories. They were a tangled mess of interconnected bonds, but it only needed one. One of the bonds rooted in his identity that grew between his name and his sense of self. 'Unwanted' was its name, and when the Sphere of Kindness touched it 'Unwanted' became 'Loved'. Among all the gray and withered bonds, the one that had been changed shone bright pink. While it didn't have an instant effect on the other gray bonds, they started to show just a bit more color from the bright pink being there.

Outside, the faithful kitchen staff was scrambling, with more and more mages coming into the kitchens and demanding to know who had made the Master cry. What finally stopped their panicking like decapitated chickens was Orthorn putting a bowl under Mohamara's chin to collect the tears.

"What?" He said when everyone but the Master gave him accusatory looks. "Daedra tears are a valuable alchemical ingredient. The Master wouldn't want us to waste them."

--

The crying just wouldn't stop. Orthorn had to change bowls several times, and eventually the faithful abandoned their attempt to shame him and joined in on the tear collection. Daedra tears, apparently, were really good alchemical ingredients. Fortunately, the castle's internal collapses had opened an aquifer to partially flood rooms, and provide an easy source of water so Mohamara didn't dehydrate himself too badly.

He wasn't sad, though the faithful tried a variety of stunts to amuse him enough to stop crying. They even brought out some of the vampires they had been experimenting on to torment for his amusement.

After a while, Mohamara asked to be left alone and sat on the stairs in the partially flooded room trying to figure out what had happened to cause this. And how to stop it because after two days of crying non-stop, even in his sleep, it was too much. So, while he had the waterworks going, he decided to make it useful. "Dad, help."

The top of Sheogorath's head, from his scalp to the bridge of his nose rose up from the surface of the water. A disk of water that had been there rose up with it and rested on top of his head like a nonsensical hat. Bubbles rose to the water's surface and popped, bringing the Mad God's words into the room. "Hey, son! What's the haps?"

"Please don't use outdated slang," Mohamara implored. "But I was wondering if you could look into my head and find out why this," he indicated the tear-marks on his face, "won't stop?"

From the surface of the water disk on Sheogorath's head emerged Sheogorath's hand and arm, in a thumbs up gesture. Then as quickly as he first appeared, he sank back into the water and was suddenly sitting next to Mohamara on the stairs.

"Alright, let's take a look-see at what's going on." Sheogorath snapped his fingers and exploded into dust that flew into Mohamara's nose automatically.

Sheogorath went beyond the meat of Mohamara's brain, he went beyond the synapses firing, he went into the mind of a Khajiit. To his dismay, Mohamara's mind was too rigid for him to have any fun with--such an ungracious host, nothing at all like Pelagius. His son's mind took the form of a machine half shut down, with dozens of Mohamara's in various outfits running around. They were pulling tarps off of disused components and oiling the parts that needed to move soon.

None seemed to mind Sheogorath walking amongst them in his Sheggorath aspect. It was like he wasn't even there. Mohamaras in oil-stained overalls with bits of metal walked by and replaced damaged bits of the machine. As Sheggorath watched, lights for entire sections of the mental machine started to come on, cracking from the strain after so long asleep.

Sheggorath found the control room of the mind, where Mohamara's connection to his chamberlain gave orders to the lesser aspects of the Khajiit's mind. The command Mohamaras were dressed as naval officers, and stood flanking chadburns labeled with various mental functions. The connection to Mohamara's chamberlain took the form of a massive round screen, where the spider-crab watched the control room and beyond from afar.

"The power plant is producing enough for us to bring more neurochemicals online, sir," spoke a Mohamara labeled 'Moody'.

"Excellent," responded the Chamberlain, not commenting on Sheggorath lurking in the background. "We cannot afford to lose momentum. All ahead full, Mr. Moody."

"Very good, sir." As one, all the command Mohamaras adjusted their chadburns from 'quarter ahead' to 'ahead full'.

Elsewhere in the mind of Mohamara, dozens of worker Mohamaras shoveled fuel into furnaces, shouting at each other to meet the demands of 'ahead full'. Gauges marking emotional levels began to rise dramatically. And pistons that before were barely moving or outright stopped began to increase their speed. As soon as each one was oiled and connected to the power, it began to move.

For being so rigid, Sheggorath appreciated how much of a mess everything was. He found a strange beauty in the rhythm that came from the sound of pistons at maximum speed and decided he'd seen all he needed to.

When Sheorgorath returned to Nirn, he found his son crying even worse than when he had left. Outright bawling, really. Sheogorath shifted into his Sheggorath aspect here too and brought the young Daedric Khajiit into a hug. As much of a wreck as he was, Mohamara didn't muster a resistance.

"Lad, there's nothing wrong." The Skooma Cat said in what was almost a consoling voice. "Except all the things that are unacceptably wrong with you and you should be ashamed of. But this isn't one of those!" Sheggorath patted Mohamara on the head. "All that despondency that you had when Khajiit first found you is finally starting to break apart. As awful as it is for this one to say, you're becoming what should be normal for you." After the word 'normal', Sheggorath had to force the rest of the sentence out quickly as he began to violently hack and cough. It ended when he spat out a furball into the water. "Hate when that happens. Except when I don't."

"This is… normal?" Mohamara fought to talk around the ugly crying, not as well informed to the cause as Sheggorath.

"No, but approaching normal." Once more he hacked and coughed until he spat out a hairball. "See this is why this one hates despair so much." The Skooma Cat adjusted the hug he was giving Mohamara to something that would gel nicer with the cat's less than stellar sense of masculinity--a side hug! "It drags you down so far that you think down is up, and up is down. And it doesn't do it in a fun way, no, it turns everything gray and hopeless, and eugh." Sheggorath stuck his tongue out in disgust. "Nasty. But you know what won't be nasty, but be oodles of fun?"

Mohamara shook his head no, he didn't even attempt to guess.

"When you get a look-see at your Chamberlain. Or what roughly equates to a chamberlain, a mortal hasn't mantled you so it hasn't combined with anyone." The Skooma Cat shrugged. "And what your friend and hubby will say about it when they find out its been lying to them this whole time about being able to talk with you."

--

Marcurio's expression could only be described as the neutral face of displeasure. There was a nuance to the expression that few people could pick up. Brynjolf and Yagraz were two of those people, but Karliah was not. They had made it back to Riften, confronted the Guild about Mercer's lies, ransacked the Guildmaster's house--where Marcurio found the legendary sword Chillrend and was one hundred percent giving that to Mohamara--and had a long verbal debate about a splinter faction of the Thieves Guild.

Nightingales, servants of the Daedric Prince Nocturnal and protectors of the Prince of Night's temple which granted thieves their luck, among other things. Nightingales that had once been Gallus, Mercer, and Karliah until the matter of murder happened. Nightingales that Karliah wanted Brynjolf and Marcurio to become.

The neutral face of displeasure was well deserved.

"You want me to sell my eternal soul to Nocturnal," Marcurio started, his voice only a hair above being a monotone. "So that I can kill Mercer slightly more dead?"

"He's a Nightingale, and he's kept his powers somehow," the waify Dunmer fired back. "We won't stand a chance without the blessing of Nocturnal."

"See, I kind of had this plan for where my soul would go after death." Marcurio gestured erratically as he attempted to convey esoteric information. "I was going to spend my life, only sometimes sitting on an enormous pile of money, with my soon to be husband. He'd help me with my issues, I'd help him with his, and maybe we could grow to love each other. Maybe. And then I'd die, and stay with him in his realm in--I'm going to go on a limb and guess--Oblivion. Doing things such as not serving Nocturnal forever."

Brynjolf, the red-headed Riften native did a double-take at that bit of information. "Wait--that sweet little thing in the portrait you showed us all is a Daedra? Boy doesn't look like he could hurt fruit let alone rob people of their souls."

"Short-stuff's too much sweetness and light for that," Yagraz commented with her arms crossed. "He'll snark at ya, that's about it."

"Whatever you decide, it must be done soon." Yehochanan clacked his claws like castanets within Yagraz's bag. "The Master and his faithful are going to the ruin where Mercer will steal the Eyes of the Falmer. Even as changed as he is, Mercer will know the Master when he sees him."

"What in Oblivion is Mohamara doing in Irkngthand?" Marcurio and Yagraz asked at the same time.

"Are either of you goin' to be telling me what's in that bag," Brynjolf asked while pointing to the relevant container with his thumb.

"No," the two said in unison once more.

"The bandits there are people who have been driven out of their homes by the war," Yehochanan explained. "My Master's nature hears their suffering and drives him to offer kindness as a balm for their wounds. He is there to help as many as who want to be helped."

"Your husband's a bleedin' heart, lad," Brynjolf commented. "Doesn't sound like any Daedra I've heard of."

"That's what makes him so interesting," Marcurio said like he was explaining how water wasn't actually wet to someone. "But back to the topic we've diverged from--no, I don't want to become a Nightingale." He focused his gaze on Karliah. "Not just because I have a grudge to settle with you, though I do. Not because I dislike Nocturnal because I don't. But because I refuse to sell my soul to kill one man."

"That one man was strong enough to kill a Nightingale," Karliah fired back, a bit of emotion in her raspy voice. "What hope do we have if we don't have those powers too?"

"What even are these Nightingale powers? What are you proposing we sell our souls for?"

Karliah described powers that would set close friends against each other, powers that would let a Nightingale slip in and out of a person's vision in literal blinks of an eye, and the power to change cause and effect. For the freedom to use these powers however they wished, Nightingales had to guard Nocturnal's temple in life and in death, then serve her further in her realm of Oblivion.

"Only one of those even sounds worth selling my soul for," Marcurio grumbled. "And that armor isn't even stylish." He gestured to the almost dour gray leather armor Karliah and Brynjolf wore. "An awful deal, all around."

"The armor's not meant to be stylish, it's meant to keep you hidden. And on top of the powers she gives us, Nocturnal gives us back our luck." The waify Dunmer crossed her arms. "You think you've got good fortune now? Imagine what luck you'd have if Nocturnal was actually giving you support."

That stopped Marcurio's tirade dead in its tracks. He couldn't deny that he'd been by far the most fortunate of the Guild, who supposedly was cursed by Nocturnal. But for what, they still had no idea. If he suddenly had the Daedra of luck helping him, his mind boggled at the possibilities.

"Yeho," the Nibense Imperial called out to the spider-crab who peeked out of Yagraz's bag at his summons. "Does my betrothed have any grievance with Nocturnal?"

"No," responded the spider-crab. "Nocturnal is his aunt, and while she and Meridia do not like each other, they still respect each other as sisters. Were the Lady of Infinite Energies aware of the state of Nocturnal's temple, she would order the Master to rectify it anyway. Furthermore, the Master will instinctually form a bond of love with those who identify as his family."

"Meridia? The Daedra of Day?" Brynjolf said in amazement. And then he saw Yehochanan poking out of Yagraz's bag and froze. "What in Oblivion is that?"

All the spider-crab did to answer him was clack its claws like castanets.

--

When Mercer finally got in sight of Irkngthand, he was met by a strange phenomenon. From the Dwemer ruins, balls of light trailing sparks would fly upward into the night sky. And once they reached higher than any bird could fly, they exploded into enormous colorful displays. Sometimes they would explode multiple times, each with a different color. What magic was at work, he didn't care much about. It just meant that there would be more light, and in turn, more shadows for Mercer to hide in.

The bandits he had expected were not in his way, to his surprise. They were gathered outside, in a crowd surrounded by mages in bizarre pink robes. It was these mages who would toss the balls of light that exploded high above. From what Mercer could pick up, they were taking requests of the bandits for what next to make.

He couldn't understand--the display they were putting on would draw enemies for miles, yet the bandits didn't seem to care. Still, it was a distraction he could make use of. Without the bandits to worry about, it was just the Dwemer traps and the Falmer to deal with.

Imagine his surprise to make his way all the way down to the Falmer statue in the depths of the Dwemer ruin, and saw that the jeweled eyes of the statue were missing. In their place, he found a note held to the statue's nose with a bit of honey.

'Lose something?' And Karliah's symbol. Mercer saw red. How had she figured out his plan? How had she gotten here ahead of him?!

"Yoohoo!"

Mercer automatically dodge-rolled away from where he stood, a good thing too as a ludicrously large Dwemer warhammer struck the ground where he had just been standing. His instincts told him to keep dodging, and as he did he dodged arrows and exploding balls of fire from on high. When it was clear he no longer needed to do so, he stopped and glared upward. On a ledge high above him were three fools in the armor of the Nightingales, and an Orc woman he'd never seen before.

"I know you went to all that trouble to get down there," one of the male Nightingales said, and Mercer identified the voice as Brynjolf's. "But we did a little lookin' around and discovered a cave that goes right from the shore to down here. Fortunate, wouldn't you say?"

"You shouldn't have stayed to gloat," Mercer told him. "Now you will all die." He drew his sword and slashed the air in the right spot--moving the dust in a chain of events that would knock loose the last bits of stone holding Lake Yogrim at bay. The earth shook, and the interlopers had to struggle to stay up on their ledge. Save one. The other male Nightingale, undoubtedly Marcurio, remained standing with no difficulty.

Mercer almost respected that.

"Stealing from a Daedra never ends well, you know." Marcurio lept from the ledge and clung to the walls like a spider to stop his momentum. After a few more such jumps, the Nightingale and the Guildmaster stood on equal footing, glaring at one another. "But really, I'm only here because you fucking stabbed me in the neck."

"Petty revenge is it? I thought better of you, boy."

"You really, aggressively, shouldn't have." Marcurio shrugged. "I take after my dad in the pettiness department. Now, let's get to some of that petty revenge, shall we? And if you end up winning, you can go be with Maven or whatever."

Mercer's brain stopped almost for so long that he'd risk being made an easy target. When he came out of it, he spoke with genuine curiosity. "Why would I go be with Maven? I intended to leave Skyrim altogether."

"Well, that's what all this Gallus murder was about, wasn't it?" Behind his mask, Mercer guessed Marcurio to be looking insufferably smug about the situation. "You and Maven were going," the man made a series of clicks, whistles, and rude gestures, "and Gallus didn't like that even though he and Karliah were going," he made another series of clicks, whistles, and even ruder gestures.

Flabbergasted beyond belief, Mercer stared open-mouthed at the Nightingale. "What? What?! No! I killed Gallus because he tried to stop me stealing the Skeleton Key!"

"The skeleton whoozit-whatzit?"

However, Karliah seemed to know what was going on. She gasped in horror at Mercer's words.

"The Skeleton Key, Nocturnal's Daedric Artifact," Mercer declared with clear pride. "She used it only to maintain a portal that she never used. But I have found so many uses for it, the best uses for it! With the Key, I am unbeatable, and will eventually come into the possession of limitless wealth!"

From up on the ledge, a blinding light emerged from behind the remaining interlopers. Perhaps the sun was coming up outside?

"Lady Meridia," Marcurio said with solemnity. "I trust this is good enough of a reason for us to have involved you?"

"If it was not, I would not be here, mortal." Mercer looked up and saw a pink Khajiit, the size of a child, with eyes that shone from within with golden light and a halo of that same light behind his head. The cat and Guildmaster locked gazes, and Mercer found it to be like staring into the sun. "How dare you, mortal?" The cat spoke in a male and female voice overlapping each other. "How dare you presume to steal from my sister!?" Wings of golden light formed on the cat's back and the Daedra-possessed Khajiit launched himself down at Mercer.

Time slowed down and Mercer went over his options. The Daedra-possessed Khajiit was coming in so fast, too fast. Even if he started dodging the moment the cat had developed wings, he couldn't move fast enough to get out of the way. Every solution the Skeleton Key brought to mind required more of Mercer's body than he could give.

With no viable options for escape, he had to fight like a mere mortal. All the wounds he inflicted on the cat healed themselves instantly, and the wounds inflicted on Mercer from the cat's massive fangs, wing slams, and weapons of light burned like the hottest fire he'd ever experienced. The cuts from the light-sword instantly cauterized themselves. But Mercer knew, if he could just stay alive long enough, the Skeleton Key would--...

...Get stolen, as it turned out. Mercer realized he had lost eight of his senses, he could no longer see the stream of information the Key had provided, and he couldn't slow down time to think. The cause revealed itself to be Marcurio, standing on the crossed legs of the Falmer statue, with the Skeleton Key in his hand.

Without it, Mercer found himself held aloft by his neck and the will of the angry Daedra of the Day. "Chamberlain," the cat snarled in its double-voice. "Bind this mortal, but keep him alive. I want my sister to have her vengeance."

A pink spider-crab thing soon appeared in Mercer's vision and he was helpless to resist as it scuttled all over him and bound him up in prismatic silk until only his nose was exposed.

"Now. You, who has the Skeleton Key. Take this wretch to Nocturnal's temple, open her portal, and cast this thief on whatever bed of coals she deems appropriate."

Left in the dark, only able to faintly hear what went on outside his cocoon, and with no ability to escape his prison, Mercer became what he had stolen the Key to never become again. He became afraid.

--

"So, you got some worshippers now?"

Mohamara looked up from working on enchanting a spyglass. Now that he was back in Helgen, he had backlogged work to catch up on. But this time, with his most promising students to help him out--save The Caller. She, the rest of the faithful, and the bandits of Irkngthand were in the process of a grand migration--from Shearpoint mountain to Volskygge Valley, where they would form a settlement to honor Mohamara.

The mask of the Dragon Priest that had once lurked on Shearpoint's western slope--Krosis--proved to be an excellent teaching tool for how to overlay enchanting effects, and it lay on the table next to the fireplace for his students to look at, study the interconnected arrays, and inspire their own work. The Legion appreciated having more of Mohamara's style of enchanters around, even if they wore pink and were absolutely lovey-dovey. Even when compared to Mara's priesthood.

"Sorta," the cat said at last to Yagraz. On his back, Yehochanan was busy pulling excess emotions out of his head and spinning them up in prismatic cloth for Mohamara to process or use for his enchanting. "There aren't rites, or sacred texts yet. So it's more like… a philosophy? But they asked to be my students, so until they get a religion organized, students are what I'll call them."

"Good for you, short-stuff." She ruffled the Khajiit's fur and had the spider-crab clack his claws in castanet fashion for disrupting his work. "You're finally able to be a teacher. Going to teach them Mysticism?"

Mohamara groaned and rested his head in his hands. "Oh that's going to suck. They'll be miserable, and then I'll feel guilty about it, and I'll try to dumb it down and they won't learn it right…."

"Have the same faith in yourself that your followers have in you, Master," Yehochanan chimed in as he trapped anxiety in his silk. "Let them walk the path and learn as you did, and trust that they will come to understand eventually."

"This feels incredibly weird, by the way." Mohamara pointed at the cat-sized spider-crab riding on his back and shoulders, plucking at the base of his skull to extract emotions.

"It looks so much worse," Yagraz commented. "Like, if I was a pansy-ass like that one Orthen student guy, I'd probably have thrown up from watching this so long."

"He's not like exposing my brain is he?"

"No, but those emotions are ugly when he pulls them out." She made a disgusted noise. "I think one of them blinked at me."

"That would be paranoia," Yehochanan clarified. "And yes, it did."
---
Some of you have those siblings you don't actually like but if someone other than you fucks around with them you get pissed, right?

If you're curious about the et'Ada genealogy: Azura begot Merid Nunda, Nocturnal, and Mara.

Last edited:
And that, my friends, is the sound of all the plans not going as planned. Except the ones that did, because they're awesome. He now has a school. A school of witchcraft and wizardry, out to make the magics! Well, at least he has people to help with his work once he gets around to teaching them enough to help out. Of course, his Grand Minion shall help greatly in this regard. And so the butterflys from punching a dragon continue! He's all grown up and transforming the universe with his madness!

Heh.

Also, kind of touching how the whole revelation of the double-meaning of his name suddenly triggered Mohamana's tears - and that in turn fulfilled dear old crazy dad's demand :p
It's not touching.

It was touching but it was Keikaku Doori.

All according to plan. Baby boy doesn't know who his mom is or that she named him. He knows he is Sheograths son.

And now believe that his parent named him with love. The only parent their was Sheo and this could be explained in the only way someone as crazy as him could let him know.

Yaggy and Mar Mar aren't talking to Mohamara can start putting thingsome together believing it would break him and lacking the revelation he had about it. They'll keep it a secret to stall what they think is his plan while helping it all along.

If he know who his mom is and that she named him I love you in her language everything pulls together with his knowledge of daedric Lore. He can realize her mistakes are mistakes and put into context the good parts of his past like his meetings with momma.

But if he doesn't learn it Sheo having these good times with him. He also set up for Mohamad to have conflict with his Chamberlin too.

That magnificent bastard.

Mohamara. Get some. Moon sugar and write this shirt down.

I wonder how much of the Imperial Legion has any idea of what Mohamara's nature is, because that would throw people for a loop. A Deadra, enlisted in the empire's army. One that is legally a citizen of Skyrim, and owns a vast amount of land.

Chapter 35
When I first started playing Skyrim, I liked Laila the most out of any of the Jarls. But as I grew older, I shifted more into Balgruuf's camp. Still, she has a warm place in my heart.
---
Chapter 35: Whom you Marry

Mohamara dreamed of fishing. In his dream, he could swim fast enough to catch swordfish, macefish, and juvenile sea serpents. He would drag them to the surface so that the seagulls might eat that which he did not. They were just as hungry as he was, and so far from a place to rest their wings.

Sharks would pass by him like he wasn't there unless he fancied taking a bite out of them. All in all, it was a good dream.

And then he heard it. A keening cry from the distance, followed by chirping and all the fish vanishing from the water. Whales.

Mohamara swam as fast as he could, but his speed seemed to have left him. They were getting closer, he could hear them telling him to swim faster, that they needed their exercise. He couldn't dive down, he'd never be able to go deeper than them, and he couldn't fly--

Except that he could. He remembered he could fly, and lept up out of the water.

But that was where the whales were. Their flukes and fins had been replaced with feathery wings, and they chased after him in the sky too. Every time they came close they bit off a piece of him until he was only hopping forward on one leg. And then they took that too.

Alone, with no one to rescue him, the only option left to him seemed to be to wait for the whales to close in and hope that they'd start with his head.

--

He woke up before that, though. On his back, Yehochanan was extracting the helplessness he'd been feeling and wrapping it up tightly. It was fortunate that he woke up at that moment, for he saw Marcurio sneaking into Mohamara's workshop to lay a strange malachite glass sword down on the enchanter's breakfast table, along with a carved mahogany box roughly the size of Yehochanan.

The mage-thief was back to his usual silk robes, and perhaps the lack of sneaking enchantments had been what allowed Mohamara to catch him in the act. But regardless of circumstance, the cat latched onto the distraction from how useless he still was. "Hey," the cat called, quiet so that his students or Hadvar wouldn't wake up.

Marcurio paused to look over at Mohamara and winked. "Hey yourself."

"Do you have to leave so soon?"

Marcurio arched an eyebrow while Mohamara got out of bed and hastily found a robe to get dressed with so they could leave. Yehochanan clung to the cat's back like a backpack, his weight hardly noticeable. Human, Khajiit, and Daedric spider-crab silently made their way through the keep and out to Helgen's wall. The guard that would have patrolled that section of the wall was fast asleep inside the turret, according to Marcurio.

"So why'd you want to come out here rather than sit in the muffle bubble?" Marcurio asked as they sat on the wall overlooking Ilinalta Valley to the north.

"I didn't want my students waking up and seeing you and me talking, they'd pester you something awful." Mohamara attempted to glare over his shoulder at his… servitor. "Because someone couldn't keep quiet that we're going to be married."

"They want you to be happy," Yehochanan defended. "Remember that Meridia is kindest of all the Daedra because she speaks the truth when asked, and model your religion on hers."

"Speaking of Daedra," Macurio cut in. "In the spirit of being honest, I need to let you know that I made a deal with Nocturnal. For the powers and pure luck that let us deal with Mercer--I don't think you know who that is, the guy who gave me this." The Imperial pulled aside a lavish tasseled silk scarf to reveal a nasty scar on his neck.

A burning rage lit in Mohamara's stomach before it was hastily extracted by Yehochanan. "Oh. Is he… dead?"

Marcurio's smile was wicked and cruel. "Oh, I bet he wishes he was. Want to hear what I did with him?" When Mohamara nodded, the mage-thief started off on the story.

--

The Twilight Sepulcher, the temple of Nocturnal, was as dark and unknown as Nocturnal herself. While in the seemingly Nordic structure Marcurio could feel eyes on him constantly. Things moved in the dark, and more than once he had turned behind him to see eyes watching him from afar.

When he'd first arrived, he was confronted with a ghost. The spectral form of Gallus, now in the post-death phase of his service. Gallus informed Marcurio that since the Skeleton Key had been stolen, the Sepulcher and everything in it was running on the temple's residual power. Even the Nightingale sentries. Most had lost their minds in the struggle to remain solvent enough to defend the temple from intruders--Gallus was only spared by being relatively new.

And when Marcurio had informed him of who was cocooned in prismatic silk and slung over his shoulder, Gallus very nearly went rabid in the attempt to get at Mercer. Fortunately, a kick to the head was an effective way to knock the sense into a ghost.

"Hands off, he belongs to Nocturnal," Marcurio had said, sour about being made to do this task. "I guess we all do. But he will face her punishment directly."

"I almost pity you, Mercer," Gallus snarled with spectral vitriol. "You will be the first person since the Grey Fox to taste Nocturnal's fury."

Mercer occasionally tried to break free, but Yehochanan's thread held fast. The only times Marcurio had even seen the thread strain was as Kipgolsik flew through clouds--water was not kind to the silk.

There was a section of the temple that was totally dark, with brazier's that lit up a rough path to safely traverse. But the trick was that the light burned like acid--even when Marcurio created light of his own.

That room was the highlight of the early temple. After that, it was mostly straightforward. All the doors were trapped, anything valuable clearly displayed was trapped, any trap that could be spotted was a decoy meant to disguise a cleverer trap nearby.

Having a useful weight that, while free to be abused, still needed to be kept alive was useful and irksome at various points throughout the dungeon crawl. At one point, a Nightingale sentinel had surprised Marcurio so much that the mage-thief bludgeoned her to re-death with Mercer as the weapon.

But then he came to a pit. It was clearly the only way forward, but the presence of human remains at the bottom didn't bode well for his odds of it being progress. However, if necessary he could climb back out by gripping the wall. Alteration and Nightingale powers played absurdly well together.

The pit was an illusion, that dissolved at some cue from the Skeleton Key. Mercer's attempts to get free became frantic after Marcurio put the Key back into an altar that appeared out of what had been the pit. The whole room changed, three doorways grew from the walls, the altar rose up and became a basin filled with violet water that flowed into the doorways, and moon dials appeared over the paths they took.

And from the water, preceded by a murder of crows, was Nocturnal. She talked like Marcurio's father, he realized as she monologued without giving Marcurio a way to cut in edgewise. So he made one for himself.

"Hey, I don't mean to be rude, but there's a traitor shaped mammoth in the room that needs to be dealt with," he had said and indicated Mercer, attempting to inchworm his way away from them.

"... You brought him alive?" Nocturnal seemed perplexed by this. "I suppose you thought I would be pleased to have one of my debtors brought back to me unspoiled. Hmph." The Prince of Night flicked her dainty hands in Mercer's direction. More crows emerged from the Oblivion portal and enveloped Mercer's wriggling body.

He screamed when the birds were on their way, but froze and went quiet as they gently landed on him. The mercer-shaped murder of crows was still for a long moment and then scattered. When they left, there was no sign of Mercer, only a gleaming metal screw that rolled gently away from where he had lain.

"Mercer faces his punishment now. But I am not Azura or Meridia, whose vengeance burns hot. He would have suffered just as much had you sent his soul to me. Make a note of that in the future." The Daedra's business-like expression didn't soften, but her eyes became less inscrutable as Marcurio met her gaze. "But I owe my sister a debt for helping you do your duty. And my first nephew deserves a token of affection for making a place for me in his heart when his sisters did not."

"I'm sure whatever you give will be most appreciated, Ma'am."

"'Ma'am'?' Hmm, I like that. Certainly more than 'Lady Nocturnal'." Darkness tendrils reached out from the shadows on the room and gathered to form a single marble-sized sphere of un-light, that devoured the light that dared touch it. "Here. My nephew has been in my sister's shadow for so long, he has forgotten there is beauty and protection in the dark. Place this into his right eye, and he will see."

--

Marcurio did not tell the part about the un-light to Mohamara. Neither did he tell the cat that he held the mote of un-light in his pocket. It was something that he had intended to bring up when the cat was more accepting of physical contact. It seemed an important milestone to hit before asking to shove a ball of Daedric darkness into someone's eyeball. But the thought gave Marcurio an idea for how to follow up his story.

"So, the dragon took me back to Riften--Kipgolsik, he's deceptively endearing, and I say that because he is one-thousand percent going to doublecross me someday--and I remembered that you are missing rather important bits of your skeleton." Marcurio smiled to look sly, but it had a negative effect.

Mohamara's ears went flat against his skull. "They're not missing, they're just… not Khajiit. It's like I have Human bones stuck in my fingers and toes."

"I apologize, that was rude. So, I happen to know a face sculptor in Riften and I talked to her about your situation. We're really lucky that it wasn't something with your skull because according to her Khajiit sinuses are ridiculously easy to screw up. But she's certain she can fix your claw problem." Marcurio cleared his throat, realizing in hindsight how awkward this had been to bring up right after the story. "I can certify that she's not a goose, she's done… rather extensive work on me in the past."

The cat's ears swept forward in curiosity. "Scar removal?"

"Well, yes though she doens't enjoy doing those. But also more…." Marcuriro gestured vaguely to his torso. "Invasive work."

"Oh, well thank you. But… from what I remember of the procedure, it hurts like a bitch. So I'm going to be putting that off as long as possible. And, considering all the nice things you've done for me, I was sort of wondering how I could do something nice for you?" Mohamara kicked his short legs back and forth over the Helgen wall. "I mean, this isn't a one-way street, this relationship. Gotta have some give along with the take, yeah?"

"Hmmm." Marcurio stopped to consider this development. He'd honestly expected to have to court the cat way more than he had to see a return on the emotional investment. Mohamara had been described as 'severely depressed', after all. "Well I had a list, but like an idiot, I didn't think to bring it with me when I brought your presents." He leaned over to the cat as close as he could without crossing the 'no touching without permission boundary'. "By the way. Chillrend, a legendary magical sword of unknown providence. And a set of carved camphor laurel brushes and combs, with complimentary shampoo and scented fur oil. Imported from Elsweyr."

"They have camphor laurels in Elsweyr?"

"Mostly in the southern half. But back on topic" Marcurio considered the situation, and decided honesty to be the best policy. "Well, we're sort of in a no-win situation on that front. I'm independently wealthy, and can afford most material goods, or steal them when I can't." He snapped his fingers and pointed at Mohamara. "By the way, your enchanted stuff sells really well on the black market."

The cat actually blushed a bit and looked flattered. "You've been stealing my products?"

"Of course I have, you're the best enchanter in Tamriel. I would be insulting you by not stealing the stuff you make."

Marcurio's blunt admittance to theft seemed to have the opposite effect on Mohamara than what Marcurio had expected. In place of outrage, he saw the cat acting bashful.

"I guess… I just didn't think anything I made would be worth you stealing yourself, yeah?" The cat twiddled his thumbs and avoided Marcurio's gaze.

"Mohamara, everything you make is worth stealing. Everything about you is worth me spending my precious time stealing, and selling to the highest bidder. Never doubt that, not for a moment."

That got the cat to look up at him in confusion. "Is that some weird Khajiit flirting that you learned from Ahkari?"

"Is it working?"

"...Not really."

"Then yes, it is. And I apologize for the poor attempt." Marcurio's usual smug grin became good-natured. "But back to the topic. From my upbringing, for better or for worse, the only non-material way of expressing affection I can remember are acts of physical intimacy. No, not like that," Marcurio said when Mohamara's face and ears turned cherry red. "Well, yes, like that. But not in this context. Hand-holding, brushing each other's hair, exchange of kisses, painting nails, stuff like that." Marcurio glanced at Mohamara's hands and squinted. "I don't think you even have fingernails for me to paint. Anyway, all of this flies in face of your 'no touching' policy."

"No touching without permission," Yehochanan was quick to correct the Imperial.

"Yes, that."

"I'm glad that you're still keeping to that." The cat noted the sun rising above Bleak Falls Barrow far in the distance. They had been talking for a long time. "Given you're… well, the Mad God picked you. And now you say you belong to Nocturnal. She doesn't exactly play nice with Meridians. Day and Night, you know how it is."

"I do," Marcurio agreed. "But… she's your aunt, isn't she?"

"Perhaps. Nocturnal's origins are unknown, she's possibly one of the first generation of et'Ada. Or one of the eldest second generation. And even if she is, I know nothing about her as a person." The cat sighed. "But… you're right. If she's my aunt, then I'll give her the chance to be honest with her intentions, if any." The cat shrugged. "I mean, come on. She probably has way more important stuff to do than plan bad things happening to one Khajiit."

Meanwhile, in Evergloam, Nocturnal sat on her throne of darkest midnight while a line of corvids stretched out before her into the twilight city. When the line shifted forward, a new corvid bird flapped to their Daedra's hand where she preened them and collected the feathers they had shed. Once done, she would end the preening with a bored 'next!'

Back on Nirn, Mohamara got a sudden idea. "I can teach you how to fly!"

Marcurio seemed stunned, then cleared his throat. "You do remember that's illegal, right? Flying magic?"

The cat shrugged. "Who's going to stop you when you can literally go up higher than they can shoot arrows?" Without further thought, the tojay hopped off the Helgen wall and walked on the thin air like it was substantial. "I can't teach you to do the really complex stuff, but once you get the basics you should be able to figure it out yourself."

"Isn't that… Mysticism magic?" Marucio squinted to make sure no one on the ground level of Helgen was attempting to look up Mohamara's robe, then focused on the cat.

"Not really? Technically, all levitation magics are jointly Mysticism and Alteration. But I've been starting to realize that even though Mysticism uses magicka too, it isn't magic per se. It can accomplish a lot of what other schools of magic do, but with its own twist. For instance, I don't think Alteration levitation magic lets you do this!" Mohamara hopped up and then started to sink into the air before he was propelled upward by some unseen force. With his tojay jump height, he went substantially higher than the wall, and did a series of flips and twists before he came back down to… somehow sit on the air. Whatever he was doing seemed less solid than before, as he bobbed up and down for a moment. "Invisible trampolines!"

Marcurio could see so many uses for what Mohamara had shown him, but more than that he was happy that the Khajiit was willing to trust him with what before was something exclusively Mohamara could do. He hadn't even taught it to his students!

The Praefect left in charge of Helgen's Legion forces had just finished telling off the guard on the wall for sleeping instead of doing his Stendarr damned duty and shoved the Auxillary out through the tower door. She watched the Colovian boy scramble to get into his patrol routine, and found something drawing her attention out of the corner of her eye.

Two mages, one a pink child-sized Khajiit in a hedge wizard's robe, and the other a Nibenese Imperial in bizarre College of Winterhold robes chasing each other through the thin air. Strangely they were singing as they did so, about flying kites. The cat seemed the more proficient at air walking/running and was consistently able to keep away from the Imperial. However, it was enough to convince the Praefect that she was actually dreaming. And the horrible thought of dreaming her work life made her decide to put in for her medical leave as soon as she woke up.

--

When he next arrived at the Tooth to check on the progress being made, he found two Riften guards standing near the road. "Hold," one of the men with a Whiterun accent declared. "Jarl Laila Law-Giver demands an audience with you in Mistveil Keep, Thane. We request you come peacefully."

The use of his title had been concerning, but the Guild would have sent someone to let him know if there was a bounty on him in Riften. And the Jarl's steward was a Guild member as well, so he suspected that there was an emergency that needed his help to deal with. "Of course I will come peacefully," the Imperial told the guards. "Come, we must make haste--it is unseemly to make the Jarl wait."

With haste, the three of them made their way to Riften, and then to Mistveil Keep. One of the only stone structures in Riften, Mistveil was a run-down castle on the outside, but past the outermost walls it was still a Jarl's palace in decor and luxury. Laila's entrance hall was also her throne room and feasting hall. It had been a tradition for the Jarl of Riften to always have food on their table, to feed their citizens when they could not feed themselves. But as the beggars out in the city had found, the tradition was merely pretty words.

Laila lounged on her throne when the guards escorted Marucrio in. She was only a year or two older than Maven and with red hair from her Solitude mother making her a rare beauty in the Rift. Her face was pensive, not a good sign in Marcurio's books. Laila's Stormcloak fanboy son Harrald drew steel as Marcurio approached the foot of the stairs that led up to the Jarl's throne.

"Good, that the guards did not have to bring you to us in chains gives me hope," spoke Laila Law-Giver. She sounded genuinely relieved, but her choice of words made the thief-mage believe he had been wrong to assume an emergency was in progress.

Marcurio glanced at the Jarl's steward, a Bosmer woman named Anuriel. She had once been a top member of the Thieves Guild, the best at forging numbers. But, according to Brynjolf, when Gallus died and the Guild devolved into civil war, she had opposed Mercer's ascension on the grounds that Gallus hadn't kept tradition and named a successor--it was the responsibility of the senior Guild members to select one. Mercer couldn't trust her for not supporting him, but couldn't kill her because all she had done was propose following Guild rules. So she'd been quietly moved out of the Guild proper, and into Maven's side of things.

The steward was not giving him any of the warning signs, which meant that this was a situation that could be handled with his improvisational skills.

"My Jarl, it is part of my duty as Thane to give hope--to you and the people of the Rift." Marcurio bowed deep before her, and completely disregarded the glare the Jarl's son directed at him. "Tell me what I must do to put an end to your troubles, and it will be done."

Laila was a sucker for theatrics, it was why Marcurio had talked with Maven about opening a bard's college in Riften to compete with Solitude's. Construction was due to start in Frostfall.

The Jarl sighed, happy that the situation was becoming more to what she was accustomed. "It is a simple matter. One I am sure you can explain to our liking." The Jarl struck the heel of one hand with the fingers of her other, a signal of some sort.

From behind her, the double doors deeper into the Keep opened, and two burly men in the bear fur trimmed armor of Stormcloak officers entered in. One was the bald-headed Gonnar Oath-Giver, Stormcloak military commander for the Rift. The other was far more concerning, being the battle-scarred, gray-bearded, mean old sonuvabitch of a Nord, Galmar Stone-Fist. Second in command of the Stormcloak armies.

"Our scouts have reported you frequently coming and going between the Rift and Helgen," Laila informed Marcurio with a serene expression. She seemed unaffected by the dour men flanking her. "Helgen happens to be the mustering point for many of the Empire's forces in the south of Skyrim. And rumor has it that the Legion is developing secret magical weapons there. Galmar here questions your loyalty to the Rift, and to our cause. Please, tell us the truth and let us go back to being friends."

The thief-mage's mind worked quickly like he was explaining to his father why he had been out all night with the girls as a teenager. Exactly the sort of reason he became a Guild member, situations like this.

"Well, my Jarl, my friend, I must say I'm rather offended." Marcurio put on a tone of affront and crossed his arms. "After all I've done for the Rift, in one year mind you, I would have thought you would bring these concerns to my attention before it got so severe."

Laila looked genuinely remorseful but shook her head. "I know and were it my decision I would do so. But Galmar insisted, and with so much on the line I could not refuse him."

"The more eyes on you, Imperial," Galmar spat, literally spat, the word out, "the easier it is to spot a lie."

"Well, if you must know, I've been sneaking into Helgen frequently to discover intelligence about the town and the Legion forces garrisoned there." Marcurio took from his satchel bag a journal he used to keep track of guard patrol timings and easy access points before he had them memorized. Originally, he'd planned to put them in the Guild's records, but he could make a second copy.

The journal was passed to Laila's housecarl, who in turn took it up to her. And after she read through it, she passed it to Galmar. Galmar didn't seem happy with the intelligence, but he didn't become any angrier from it.

"Why, you may ask? Because I've been planning a rescue attempt." Just as the housecarl was coming back down the stairs, Marcurio thrust another item into his hands. A rolled up cloth portrait, a copy of the one Sheogorath had provided of Mohamara during the interview process. "My beloved has been conscripted into the Legion--because he was skilled with the making of magic items and lived in Haafingar. I had been trying to get him to come and stay with me so we may be wed, but General Tullius' timing was better than mine."

When the housecarl handed Mohamara's portrait to Laila, she became like a woman thirty years younger. Cooing and squealing at the tojay's adorable face. "Oh, Marcurio, he's the single cutest thing I've ever seen!" She hastily leaned over to show Anuriel, who had much the same reaction. All the while the Stormcloaks looked down at the development with befuddlement. At least Gonnar gave a little 'aww, how cute' when Laila showed him the cat.

"He's even cuter with his fur dye in. Tojay Khajiit are small, they don't grow higher than a man's waist, so they dye their fur when they're grown up. My love favors pinks for his coloring."

The mental image got both the Jarl and the steward squealing like delighted children. Galmar's expression became increasingly one of disgust.

"With someone as adorable, small, and not a fighter on his own, I worry for his safety. And his virtue." The thief-mage's face was a mask of grim seriousness. "You know the types of people in the Legion, my Jarl. And I'm sure you know what happens when someone is too weak to fight back."

All the delight bled out of Laila. Suddenly, she was as a Jarl should be, grand and with a palpable presence. "I am convinced," she said and glared to meet Galmar's look of disgust. "Are you?"

"...Feh, fine. What your nobles sheathe their blades in isn't my concern," Galmar dismissively waved the Jarl off. "I'll tell Ulfric it's a problem you can deal with."

"Good. Now, onto other business." Laila looked down to Marcurio again, still pretending she was a Jarl to be respected. "The Stormcloaks are planning a two-pronged offensive against the Legion. In the south, we will hit Helgen and either take it for ourselves or render it useless to the Empire. Fort Neugrad has already fallen to us, and they haven't even noticed."

Neither had Marcurio, which surprised the thief-mage. Who knew loud Nords in bear fur armor could be sneaky?

"The goal is to destroy whatever weapon the Empire is building there and to capture General Tullius, whom our scouts say is due to visit the town in a week's time. Meanwhile, in the north, Ulfric's fleet will attack Solitude directly while they are still rebuilding. If all goes well, we will decapitate both heads of the Empire's forces in Skyrim."

"Why are you telling all this to one of your nobles," Galmar demanded to know.

The Jarl stood from her throne and loomed over Galmar. With her heeled boots and natural height, she was substantially taller than the Stormcloak. "Because he is my friend, because he gave us intel about Helgen we can use, and because I trust him." Perhaps she was pretending so much that she was legitimately believing herself to be a Jarl, and worth being respected and feared. Anuriel was certainly surprised at the fire from Laila. "Without him, the Rift wouldn't have the food or the gold to support this rebellion as we have, and his loyalty is no longer in question. Is that enough for you, soldier?"

Galmar seemed to find the whole situation amusing all of a sudden. "Heh, where has this side of you been all these years? Perhaps Ulfric and you would get along better if you were like this more often. Perhaps even enough to be his first wife."

"My Jarl, can I trust the forces you are to send against Helgen to not murder my beloved, or worse? Or should I make a rescue attempt before you tear the garrison's walls down around them?" Marcurio cut into the dialogue between Jarl and foreign military advisor with practiced ease. He'd done it too often with his father. And he'd seen too many chauvanistic old Nords make comments like Galmar's about either Marcurio, or Marcurio's aunts, to consent to stay longer.

"Of course he will be safe," Laila warmly said to the thief-mage. Then she snapped back to Galmar, sharp as steel. "You hear that? The cat is to be a person taken alive, and unharmed. If, after the attack's success, I find out that your boys so much as made a rude gesture to this," she opened up the portrait of Mohamara again and cooed at his image, "adorable thing…." The Jarl looked at Galmar with an expression that made Marcurio wonder if she was perhaps slightly mad. "I will have you crucified. Am I understood?"

It was then that both members attending figured out, at long last, how to incense Laila Law-Giver into a productive fury: Imply or provided evidence of harm to cats. Ahkari was going to be gleeful to find this out, Marcurio decided. Perhaps enough to request an audience. And if Laila had this reaction with all Khajiit, they might just make out like bandits.

But still, Marcurio shelved those ponderings for later as he left Mistveil Keep and went down to the ratways and then to the Guild. This two-pronged attack was going to present plenty of opportunities for the Guild in both Falkreath and Solitude, and they needed people in place to clean up the mess no matter who won.

And it was long overdue that Marcurio talked to Delvin about contacting the Dark Brotherhood for a special job: The assassination of Ulfric Stormcloak.

---
Bit of background: Laila's never actually seen a Khajiit, or even a cat, before. She's only heard them described, never even seen a picture of one.

Last edited:
When I first started playing Skyrim, I liked Laila the most out of any of the Jarls. But as I grew older, I shifted more into Balgruuf's camp. Still, she has a warm place in my heart.
---
Chapter 35: Whom you Marry

Mohamara dreamed of fishing. In his dream, he could swim fast enough to catch swordfish, macefish, and juvenile sea serpents. He would drag them to the surface so that the seagulls might eat that which he did not. They were just as hungry as he was, and so far from a place to rest their wings.

Sharks would pass by him like he wasn't there unless he fancied taking a bite out of them. All in all, it was a good dream.

And then he heard it. A keening cry from the distance, followed by chirping and all the fish vanishing from the water. Whales.

Mohamara swam as fast as he could, but his speed seemed to have left him. They were getting closer, he could hear them telling him to swim faster, that they needed their exercise. He couldn't dive down, he'd never be able to go deeper than them, and he couldn't fly--

Except that he could. He remembered he could fly, and lept up out of the water.

But that was where the whales were. Their flukes and fins had been replaced with feathery wings, and they chased after him in the sky too. Every time they came close they bit off a piece of him until he was only hopping forward on one leg. And then they took that too.

Alone, with no one to rescue him, the only option left to him seemed to be to wait for the whales to close in and hope that they'd start with his head.

--

He woke up before that, though. On his back, Yehochanan was extracting the helplessness he'd been feeling and wrapping it up tightly. It was fortunate that he woke up at that moment, for he saw Marcurio sneaking into Mohamara's workshop to lay a strange malachite glass sword down on the enchanter's breakfast table, along with a carved mahogany box roughly the size of Yehochanan.

The mage-thief was back to his usual silk robes, and perhaps the lack of sneaking enchantments had been what allowed Mohamara to catch him in the act. But regardless of circumstance, the cat latched onto the distraction from how useless he still was. "Hey," the cat called, quiet so that his students or Hadvar wouldn't wake up.

Marcurio paused to look over at Mohamara and winked. "Hey yourself."

"Do you have to leave so soon?"

Marcurio arched an eyebrow while Mohamara got out of bed and hastily found a robe to get dressed with so they could leave. Yehochanan clung to the cat's back like a backpack, his weight hardly noticeable. Human, Khajiit, and Daedric spider-crab silently made their way through the keep and out to Helgen's wall. The guard that would have patrolled that section of the wall was fast asleep inside the turret, according to Marcurio.

"So why'd you want to come out here rather than sit in the muffle bubble?" Marcurio asked as they sat on the wall overlooking Ilinalta Valley to the north.

"I didn't want my students waking up and seeing you and me talking, they'd pester you something awful." Mohamara attempted to glare over his shoulder at his… servitor. "Because someone couldn't keep quiet that we're going to be married."

"They want you to be happy," Yehochanan defended. "Remember that Meridia is kindest of all the Daedra because she speaks the truth when asked, and model your religion on hers."

"Speaking of Daedra," Macurio cut in. "In the spirit of being honest, I need to let you know that I made a deal with Nocturnal. For the powers and pure luck that let us deal with Mercer--I don't think you know who that is, the guy who gave me this." The Imperial pulled aside a lavish tasseled silk scarf to reveal a nasty scar on his neck.

A burning rage lit in Mohamara's stomach before it was hastily extracted by Yehochanan. "Oh. Is he… dead?"

Marcurio's smile was wicked and cruel. "Oh, I bet he wishes he was. Want to hear what I did with him?" When Mohamara nodded, the mage-thief started off on the story.

--

The Twilight Sepulcher, the temple of Nocturnal, was as dark and unknown as Nocturnal herself. While in the seemingly Nordic structure Marcurio could feel eyes on him constantly. Things moved in the dark, and more than once he had turned behind him to see eyes watching him from afar.

When he'd first arrived, he was confronted with a ghost. The spectral form of Gallus, now in the post-death phase of his service. Gallus informed Marcurio that since the Skeleton Key had been stolen, the Sepulcher and everything in it was running on the temple's residual power. Even the Nightingale sentries. Most had lost their minds in the struggle to remain solvent enough to defend the temple from intruders--Gallus was only spared by being relatively new.

And when Marcurio had informed him of who was cocooned in prismatic silk and slung over his shoulder, Gallus very nearly went rabid in the attempt to get at Mercer. Fortunately, a kick to the head was an effective way to knock the sense into a ghost.

"Hands off, he belongs to Nocturnal," Marcurio had said, sour about being made to do this task. "I guess we all do. But he will face her punishment directly."

"I almost pity you, Mercer," Gallus snarled with spectral vitriol. "You will be the first person since the Grey Fox to taste Nocturnal's fury."

Mercer occasionally tried to break free, but Yehochanan's thread held fast. The only times Marcurio had even seen the thread strain was as Kipgolsik flew through clouds--water was not kind to the silk.

There was a section of the temple that was totally dark, with brazier's that lit up a rough path to safely traverse. But the trick was that the light burned like acid--even when Marcurio created light of his own.

That room was the highlight of the early temple. After that, it was mostly straightforward. All the doors were trapped, anything valuable clearly displayed was trapped, any trap that could be spotted was a decoy meant to disguise a cleverer trap nearby.

Having a useful weight that, while free to be abused, still needed to be kept alive was useful and irksome at various points throughout the dungeon crawl. At one point, a Nightingale sentinel had surprised Marcurio so much that the mage-thief bludgeoned her to re-death with Mercer as the weapon.

But then he came to a pit. It was clearly the only way forward, but the presence of human remains at the bottom didn't bode well for his odds of it being progress. However, if necessary he could climb back out by gripping the wall. Alteration and Nightingale powers played absurdly well together.

The pit was an illusion, that dissolved at some cue from the Skeleton Key. Mercer's attempts to get free became frantic after Marcurio put the Key back into an altar that appeared out of what had been the pit. The whole room changed, three doorways grew from the walls, the altar rose up and became a basin filled with violet water that flowed into the doorways, and moon dials appeared over the paths they took.

And from the water, preceded by a murder of crows, was Nocturnal. She talked like Marcurio's father, he realized as she monologued without giving Marcurio a way to cut in edgewise. So he made one for himself.

"Hey, I don't mean to be rude, but there's a traitor shaped mammoth in the room that needs to be dealt with," he had said and indicated Mercer, attempting to inchworm his way away from them.

"... You brought him alive?" Nocturnal seemed perplexed by this. "I suppose you thought I would be pleased to have one of my debtors brought back to me unspoiled. Hmph." The Prince of Night flicked her dainty hands in Mercer's direction. More crows emerged from the Oblivion portal and enveloped Mercer's wriggling body.

He screamed when the birds were on their way, but froze and went quiet as they gently landed on him. The mercer-shaped murder of crows was still for a long moment and then scattered. When they left, there was no sign of Mercer, only a gleaming metal screw that rolled gently away from where he had lain.

"Mercer faces his punishment now. But I am not Azura or Meridia, whose vengeance burns hot. He would have suffered just as much had you sent his soul to me. Make a note of that in the future." The Daedra's business-like expression didn't soften, but her eyes became less inscrutable as Marcurio met her gaze. "But I owe my sister a debt for helping you do your duty. And my first nephew deserves a token of affection for making a place for me in his heart when his sisters did not."

"I'm sure whatever you give will be most appreciated, Ma'am."

"'Ma'am'?' Hmm, I like that. Certainly more than 'Lady Nocturnal'." Darkness tendrils reached out from the shadows on the room and gathered to form a single marble-sized sphere of un-light, that devoured the light that dared touch it. "Here. My nephew has been in my sister's shadow for so long, he has forgotten there is beauty and protection in the dark. Place this into his right eye, and he will see."

--

Marcurio did not tell the part about the un-light to Mohamara. Neither did he tell the cat that he held the mote of un-light in his pocket. It was something that he had intended to bring up when the cat was more accepting of physical contact. It seemed an important milestone to hit before asking to shove a ball of Daedric darkness into someone's eyeball. But the thought gave Marcurio an idea for how to follow up his story.

"So, the dragon took me back to Riften--Kipgolsik, he's deceptively endearing, and I say that because he is one-thousand percent going to doublecross me someday--and I remembered that you are missing rather important bits of your skeleton." Marcurio smiled to look sly, but it had a negative effect.

Mohamara's ears went flat against his skull. "They're not missing, they're just… not Khajiit. It's like I have Human bones stuck in my fingers and toes."

"I apologize, that was rude. So, I happen to know a face sculptor in Riften and I talked to her about your situation. We're really lucky that it wasn't something with your skull because according to her Khajiit sinuses are ridiculously easy to screw up. But she's certain she can fix your claw problem." Marcurio cleared his throat, realizing in hindsight how awkward this had been to bring up right after the story. "I can certify that she's not a goose, she's done… rather extensive work on me in the past."

The cat's ears swept forward in curiosity. "Scar removal?"

"Well, yes though she doens't enjoy doing those. But also more…." Marcuriro gestured vaguely to his torso. "Invasive work."

"Oh, well thank you. But… from what I remember of the procedure, it hurts like a bitch. So I'm going to be putting that off as long as possible. And, considering all the nice things you've done for me, I was sort of wondering how I could do something nice for you?" Mohamara kicked his short legs back and forth over the Helgen wall. "I mean, this isn't a one-way street, this relationship. Gotta have some give along with the take, yeah?"

"Hmmm." Marcurio stopped to consider this development. He'd honestly expected to have to court the cat way more than he had to see a return on the emotional investment. Mohamara had been described as 'severely depressed', after all. "Well I had a list, but like an idiot, I didn't think to bring it with me when I brought your presents." He leaned over to the cat as close as he could without crossing the 'no touching without permission boundary'. "By the way. Chillrend, a legendary magical sword of unknown providence. And a set of carved camphor laurel brushes and combs, with complimentary shampoo and scented fur oil. Imported from Elsweyr."

"They have camphor laurels in Elsweyr?"

"Mostly in the southern half. But back on topic" Marcurio considered the situation, and decided honesty to be the best policy. "Well, we're sort of in a no-win situation on that front. I'm independently wealthy, and can afford most material goods, or steal them when I can't." He snapped his fingers and pointed at Mohamara. "By the way, your enchanted stuff sells really well on the black market."

The cat actually blushed a bit and looked flattered. "You've been stealing my products?"

"Of course I have, you're the best enchanter in Tamriel. I would be insulting you by not stealing the stuff you make."

Marcurio's blunt admittance to theft seemed to have the opposite effect on Mohamara than what Marcurio had expected. In place of outrage, he saw the cat acting bashful.

"I guess… I just didn't think anything I made would be worth you stealing yourself, yeah?" The cat twiddled his thumbs and avoided Marcurio's gaze.

"Mohamara, everything you make is worth stealing. Everything about you is worth me spending my precious time stealing, and selling to the highest bidder. Never doubt that, not for a moment."

That got the cat to look up at him in confusion. "Is that some weird Khajiit flirting that you learned from Ahkari?"

"Is it working?"

"...Not really."

"Then yes, it is. And I apologize for the poor attempt." Marcurio's usual smug grin became good-natured. "But back to the topic. From my upbringing, for better or for worse, the only non-material way of expressing affection I can remember are acts of physical intimacy. No, not like that," Marcurio said when Mohamara's face and ears turned cherry red. "Well, yes, like that. But not in this context. Hand-holding, brushing each other's hair, exchange of kisses, painting nails, stuff like that." Marcurio glanced at Mohamara's hands and squinted. "I don't think you even have fingernails for me to paint. Anyway, all of this flies in face of your 'no touching' policy."

"No touching without permission," Yehochanan was quick to correct the Imperial.

"Yes, that."

"I'm glad that you're still keeping to that." The cat noted the sun rising above Bleak Falls Barrow far in the distance. They had been talking for a long time. "Given you're… well, the Mad God picked you. And now you say you belong to Nocturnal. She doesn't exactly play nice with Meridians. Day and Night, you know how it is."

"I do," Marcurio agreed. "But… she's your aunt, isn't she?"

"Perhaps. Nocturnal's origins are unknown, she's possibly one of the first generation of et'Ada. Or one of the eldest second generation. And even if she is, I know nothing about her as a person." The cat sighed. "But… you're right. If she's my aunt, then I'll give her the chance to be honest with her intentions, if any." The cat shrugged. "I mean, come on. She probably has way more important stuff to do than plan bad things happening to one Khajiit."

Meanwhile, in Evergloam, Nocturnal sat on her throne of darkest midnight while a line of corvids stretched out before her into the twilight city. When the line shifted forward, a new corvid bird flapped to their Daedra's hand where she preened them and collected the feathers they had shed. Once done, she would end the preening with a bored 'next!'

Back on Nirn, Mohamara got a sudden idea. "I can teach you how to fly!"

Marcurio seemed stunned, then cleared his throat. "You do remember that's illegal, right? Flying magic?"

The cat shrugged. "Who's going to stop you when you can literally go up higher than they can shoot arrows?" Without further thought, the tojay hopped off the Helgen wall and walked on the thin air like it was substantial. "I can't teach you to do the really complex stuff, but once you get the basics you should be able to figure it out yourself."

"Isn't that… Mysticism magic?" Marucio squinted to make sure no one on the ground level of Helgen was attempting to look up Mohamara's robe, then focused on the cat.

"Not really? Technically, all levitation magics are jointly Mysticism and Alteration. But I've been starting to realize that even though Mysticism uses magicka too, it isn't magic per se. It can accomplish a lot of what other schools of magic do, but with its own twist. For instance, I don't think Alteration levitation magic lets you do this!" Mohamara hopped up and then started to sink into the air before he was propelled upward by some unseen force. With his tojay jump height, he went substantially higher than the wall, and did a series of flips and twists before he came back down to… somehow sit on the air. Whatever he was doing seemed less solid than before, as he bobbed up and down for a moment. "Invisible trampolines!"

Marcurio could see so many uses for what Mohamara had shown him, but more than that he was happy that the Khajiit was willing to trust him with what before was something exclusively Mohamara could do. He hadn't even taught it to his students!

The Praefect left in charge of Helgen's Legion forces had just finished telling off the guard on the wall for sleeping instead of doing his Stendarr damned duty and shoved the Auxillary out through the tower door. She watched the Colovian boy scramble to get into his patrol routine, and found something drawing her attention out of the corner of her eye.

Two mages, one a pink child-sized Khajiit in a hedge wizard's robe, and the other a Nibenese Imperial in bizarre College of Winterhold robes chasing each other through the thin air. Strangely they were singing as they did so, about flying kites. The cat seemed the more proficient at air walking/running and was consistently able to keep away from the Imperial. However, it was enough to convince the Praefect that she was actually dreaming. And the horrible thought of dreaming her work life made her decide to put in for her medical leave as soon as she woke up.

--

When he next arrived at the Tooth to check on the progress being made, he found two Riften guards standing near the road. "Hold," one of the men with a Whiterun accent declared. "Jarl Laila Law-Giver demands an audience with you in Mistveil Keep, Thane. We request you come peacefully."

The use of his title had been concerning, but the Guild would have sent someone to let him know if there was a bounty on him in Riften. And the Jarl's steward was a Guild member as well, so he suspected that there was an emergency that needed his help to deal with. "Of course I will come peacefully," the Imperial told the guards. "Come, we must make haste--it is unseemly to make the Jarl wait."

With haste, the three of them made their way to Riften, and then to Mistveil Keep. One of the only stone structures in Riften, Mistveil was a run-down castle on the outside, but past the outermost walls it was still a Jarl's palace in decor and luxury. Laila's entrance hall was also her throne room and feasting hall. It had been a tradition for the Jarl of Riften to always have food on their table, to feed their citizens when they could not feed themselves. But as the beggars out in the city had found, the tradition was merely pretty words.

Laila lounged on her throne when the guards escorted Marucrio in. She was only a year or two older than Maven and with red hair from her Solitude mother making her a rare beauty in the Rift. Her face was pensive, not a good sign in Marcurio's books. Laila's Stormcloak fanboy son Harrald drew steel as Marcurio approached the foot of the stairs that led up to the Jarl's throne.

"Good, that the guards did not have to bring you to us in chains gives me hope," spoke Laila Law-Giver. She sounded genuinely relieved, but her choice of words made the thief-mage believe he had been wrong to assume an emergency was in progress.

Marcurio glanced at the Jarl's steward, a Bosmer woman named Anuriel. She had once been a top member of the Thieves Guild, the best at forging numbers. But, according to Brynjolf, when Gallus died and the Guild devolved into civil war, she had opposed Mercer's ascension on the grounds that Gallus hadn't kept tradition and named a successor--it was the responsibility of the senior Guild members to select one. Mercer couldn't trust her for not supporting him, but couldn't kill her because all she had done was propose following Guild rules. So she'd been quietly moved out of the Guild proper, and into Maven's side of things.

The steward was not giving him any of the warning signs, which meant that this was a situation that could be handled with his improvisational skills.

"My Jarl, it is part of my duty as Thane to give hope--to you and the people of the Rift." Marcurio bowed deep before her, and completely disregarded the glare the Jarl's son directed at him. "Tell me what I must do to put an end to your troubles, and it will be done."

Laila was a sucker for theatrics, it was why Marcurio had talked with Maven about opening a bard's college in Riften to compete with Solitude's. Construction was due to start in Frostfall.

The Jarl sighed, happy that the situation was becoming more to what she was accustomed. "It is a simple matter. One I am sure you can explain to our liking." The Jarl struck the heel of one hand with the fingers of her other, a signal of some sort.

From behind her, the double doors deeper into the Keep opened, and two burly men in the bear fur trimmed armor of Stormcloak officers entered in. One was the bald-headed Gonnar Oath-Giver, Stormcloak military commander for the Rift. The other was far more concerning, being the battle-scarred, gray-bearded, mean old sonuvabitch of a Nord, Galmar Stone-Fist. Second in command of the Stormcloak armies.

"Our scouts have reported you frequently coming and going between the Rift and Helgen," Laila informed Marcurio with a serene expression. She seemed unaffected by the dour men flanking her. "Helgen happens to be the mustering point for many of the Empire's forces in the south of Skyrim. And rumor has it that the Legion is developing secret magical weapons there. Galmar here questions your loyalty to the Rift, and to our cause. Please, tell us the truth and let us go back to being friends."

The thief-mage's mind worked quickly like he was explaining to his father why he had been out all night with the girls as a teenager. Exactly the sort of reason he became a Guild member, situations like this.

"Well, my Jarl, my friend, I must say I'm rather offended." Marcurio put on a tone of affront and crossed his arms. "After all I've done for the Rift, in one year mind you, I would have thought you would bring these concerns to my attention before it got so severe."

Laila looked genuinely remorseful but shook her head. "I know and were it my decision I would do so. But Galmar insisted, and with so much on the line I could not refuse him."

"The more eyes on you, Imperial," Galmar spat, literally spat, the word out, "the easier it is to spot a lie."

"Well, if you must know, I've been sneaking into Helgen frequently to discover intelligence about the town and the Legion forces garrisoned there." Marcurio took from his satchel bag a journal he used to keep track of guard patrol timings and easy access points before he had them memorized. Originally, he'd planned to put them in the Guild's records, but he could make a second copy.

The journal was passed to Laila's housecarl, who in turn took it up to her. And after she read through it, she passed it to Galmar. Galmar didn't seem happy with the intelligence, but he didn't become any angrier from it.

"Why, you may ask? Because I've been planning a rescue attempt." Just as the housecarl was coming back down the stairs, Marcurio thrust another item into his hands. A rolled up cloth portrait, a copy of the one Sheogorath had provided of Mohamara during the interview process. "My beloved has been conscripted into the Legion--because he was skilled with the making of magic items and lived in Haafingar. I had been trying to get him to come and stay with me so we may be wed, but General Tullius' timing was better than mine."

When the housecarl handed Mohamara's portrait to Laila, she became like a woman thirty years younger. Cooing and squealing at the tojay's adorable face. "Oh, Marcurio, he's the single cutest thing I've ever seen!" She hastily leaned over to show Anuriel, who had much the same reaction. All the while the Stormcloaks looked down at the development with befuddlement. At least Gonnar gave a little 'aww, how cute' when Laila showed him the cat.

"He's even cuter with his fur dye in. Tojay Khajiit are small, they don't grow higher than a man's waist, so they dye their fur when they're grown up. My love favors pinks for his coloring."

The mental image got both the Jarl and the steward squealing like delighted children. Galmar's expression became increasingly one of disgust.

"With someone as adorable, small, and not a fighter on his own, I worry for his safety. And his virtue." The thief-mage's face was a mask of grim seriousness. "You know the types of people in the Legion, my Jarl. And I'm sure you know what happens when someone is too weak to fight back."

All the delight bled out of Laila. Suddenly, she was as a Jarl should be, grand and with a palpable presence. "I am convinced," she said and glared to meet Galmar's look of disgust. "Are you?"

"...Feh, fine. What your nobles sheathe their blades in isn't my concern," Galmar dismissively waved the Jarl off. "I'll tell Ulfric it's a problem you can deal with."

"Good. Now, onto other business." Laila looked down to Marcurio again, still pretending she was a Jarl to be respected. "The Stormcloaks are planning a two-pronged offensive against the Legion. In the south, we will hit Helgen and either take it for ourselves or render it useless to the Empire. Fort Neugrad has already fallen to us, and they haven't even noticed."

Neither had Marcurio, which surprised the thief-mage. Who knew loud Nords in bear fur armor could be sneaky?

"The goal is to destroy whatever weapon the Empire is building there and to capture General Tullius, whom our scouts say is due to visit the town in a week's time. Meanwhile, in the north, Ulfric's fleet will attack Solitude directly while they are still rebuilding. If all goes well, we will decapitate both heads of the Empire's forces in Skyrim."

"Why are you telling all this to one of your nobles," Galmar demanded to know.

The Jarl stood from her throne and loomed over Galmar. With her heeled boots and natural height, she was substantially taller than the Stormcloak. "Because he is my friend, because he gave us intel about Helgen we can use, and because I trust him." Perhaps she was pretending so much that she was legitimately believing herself to be a Jarl, and worth being respected and feared. Anuriel was certainly surprised at the fire from Laila. "Without him, the Rift wouldn't have the food or the gold to support this rebellion as we have, and his loyalty is no longer in question. Is that enough for you, soldier?"

Galmar seemed to find the whole situation amusing all of a sudden. "Heh, where has this side of you been all these years? Perhaps Ulfric and you would get along better if you were like this more often. Perhaps even enough to be his first wife."

"My Jarl, can I trust the forces you are to send against Helgen to not murder my beloved, or worse? Or should I make a rescue attempt before you tear the garrison's walls down around them?" Marcurio cut into the dialogue between Jarl and foreign military advisor with practiced ease. He'd done it too often with his father. And he'd seen too many chauvanistic old Nords make comments like Galmar's about either Marcurio, or Marcurio's aunts, to consent to stay longer.

"Of course he will be safe," Laila warmly said to the thief-mage. Then she snapped back to Galmar, sharp as steel. "You hear that? The cat is to be a person taken alive, and unharmed. If, after the attack's success, I find out that your boys so much as made a rude gesture to this," she opened up the portrait of Mohamara again and cooed at his image, "adorable thing…." The Jarl looked at Galmar with an expression that made Marcurio wonder if she was perhaps slightly mad. "I will have you crucified. Am I understood?"

It was then that both members attending figured out, at long last, how to incense Laila Law-Giver into a productive fury: Imply or provided evidence of harm to cats. Ahkari was going to be gleeful to find this out, Marcurio decided. Perhaps enough to request an audience. And if Laila had this reaction with all Khajiit, they might just make out like bandits.

But still, Marcurio shelved those ponderings for later as he left Mistveil Keep and went down to the ratways and then to the Guild. This two-pronged attack was going to present plenty of opportunities for the Guild in both Falkreath and Solitude, and they needed people in place to clean up the mess no matter who won.

And it was long overdue that Marcurio talked to Delvin about contacting the Dark Brotherhood for a special job: The assassination of Ulfric Stormcloak.

---
Bit of background: Laila's never actually seen a Khajiit, or even a cat, before. She's only heard them described, never even seen a picture of one.

*Clears throat imperiously* Marcurio, there is something that you're supposed to have handed over...

Amusingly as well, it seems that the Son of the Gruff has finally picked a side, judging by his final actions. I don't think he realizes yet, but embarking on killing Ulfric is going to end up with him defacto on the Empire's side. So general gruff and the gruff of many shadows are going to find themselves working together. And knowing the TEPoMT's luck, Alduin is going to pick that exact moment to attack.

Chapter 36
The only certainties in life are death and taxes.
---
Chapter 36: The Helgen Incident

"Master, I was wondering… could you tell us about your realm?"

Mohamara looked up from grating cheese for his latest pizza attempt to squint at Orthorn. While the High Elf had been… lackluster as a traditional mage, he had proven exceedingly competent as a battlemage and enchanter. Orthorn had already started on practicing Mandala linework, something even Mohamara avoided like the plague. His inquiry seemed earnest enough, though from how Mohamara's other students neglected their work ever so slightly so they could listen in, the Khajiit guessed that they had been planning this for a while.

"Forgive me if I've been impertinent," the High Elf quickly clasped his hands and held them up as he bowed. It was something he found all the students doing when they felt the need to apologize--perhaps a version of the pose of supplication? "It's just… we know so little about you, and you've taught us so much. We would love to know about the domain you rule."

"Well, that's an easy question. I don't rule a domain." The Khajiit shrugged and went back to grating cheese. "I come from far, far in the future. When Men, Mer, and Beastfolk travel by ships that ride on the winds to get everywhere. Where people live in giant towering buildings. And where everyone in the world, and every topic, can be found just by speaking into a looking glass."

Mohamara was sure that whatever they imagined from his description was far more entertaining than the reality. Once the block of goat cheese was grated, he quickly went to his storage chest and retrieved his slate to show them.

"This is my looking glass, a slate. More mobile than a grimoire or an archive, but it sacrifices power to do so. Charged by magicka, and host to many servitors to make life easier."

"That's the mark of House Telvanni on the back," the only Dunmer among his best students commented with amazement.

"Yeah, House Telvanni becomes the Telvanni corporation. They're the leading experts in enchanting--I was taking a course to find employment with them before…." Mohamara drooped a bit remembering the unpleasantness of his first arrival to the Fourth Era. He shook those feelings off before his students lept to conclusions. "Anyway, let that be something to take with you. Yes, I'm the best at what I do right now. But in the future, what I know is something expected of the dimmest students. Don't think you can't possibly do better than me, even I'm still learning."

"Can you tell us more about this future you come from, Lord?" Orthorn asked, excited by whatever he was imagining from what Mohamara had shared.

"Alright, one question each and then you go back to your work."

The Dunmer student, Galamir Vedulis, of course, asked about Morrowind's future. And Mohamara had to tell him gently that Morrowind got the living annihilation shit kicked out of it from the Fourth Era to the Ninth. The Dunmer's province was a prolonged series of 'how could this possibly get worse?' questions that were immediately answered. Even the Elven Empire that came to rule didn't treat them well, the Orcs got better treatment than the Dunmer. But rather than sink into despair, his student seemed to draw resolve from Mohamara's answer.

"Then I will do my best to learn from you, that I may pass on the kindness you have shown me, and make the lives of my people a little better," declared the student. "We can't stop natural disasters, or wars breaking out, but we can make individual people's lives happier."

Thankfully the remaining questions weren't as heavy.

"Can you show us something from your looking glass… slate?" A Bosmer student, Brenelin, asked next, which set up an opportunity for a group portrait. Once they'd all lined up on the wall, Mohamara set a timer and joined them. Afterward, he showed it to them, and explained how the servitor captured the image and could burn it off onto any surface--he demonstrated this with a page from a blank journal.

"Does everyone wear clothes like this in the future?" A Redguard woman, Traynda, held up one of Mohamara's future shirts and his swimsuit to highlight the difference between Fourth Era and Twenty-First Era clothes. Most of the students hadn't seen Mohamara's future clothes before, and found the worked textiles bizarre, judging by their expressions.

"There's a variety of options, and stop going through my stuff!" Mohamara actually snapped at the Redguard student and jumped up to snatch his clothes back and stuff them back in his storage chest. "By the Red Room, waving a man's personal things around like that--shame on you, missy." At least his other students had the decency to look like they hadn't snooped and found those that did disgraceful. The tojay never noticed.

"What do you mean when you say 'Red Room?' You refer to a lot of rooms by color, and often use Malacath in your oaths, sir."

"That last bit isn't a question," Mohamara stuck his tongue out at Orthorn who had asked. "The Red Room is one of Meridia's Colored Rooms. It's where she marshalls her armies for when they need to leave her plane of Oblivion and either attack another plane or come to Nirn. The proper name is Where War is Made. Mortals who worship Meridia, and die craving vengeance, are sent there to become warriors of the faith." The cat returned to throwing shredded cheese onto the proto-pizza he was going to cook once the fire got hot enough.

"What is the music in the future like?"

The question came from the only Khajiit among his students. Adannna, a cathay woman--thin as a whip but the best Alchemist of the bunch. Without sparring much thought, Mohamara barked out an order for his Burmice servitor to play a random song at fifty-percent volume.

The music that came on was an acoustic guitar, and brass trumpets, instruments that hadn't been invented yet, and a language that also hadn't been discovered yet. A song from the Shivering Isles, strangely enough. The song sang a plaintive cry from the singer to be remembered by those whom they had to leave soon.

"That's the Lilmothiit language," Mohamara cut off any questions preemptively. "They didn't go extinct, they just escaped to the Daedric realms of Sanguine, Clavicus Vile, and Sheogorath. The species returns to Tamriel a few thousand years from now and bring about the changes that lead to the beginning of the Tenth Era."

"It's beautiful," Orthorn commented. "W-what does it mean?"

"How about you study Conjuration, work out a deal with some Daedra from the realms I told you they live, and ask them?" Mohamara sighed. The Lilmothiit he'd known weren't the worst people, but having met Sheogorath and Clavicus Vile the Khajiit saw too clearly where the issues that frequently plagued the fox-folk came from. Which in turn reminded him of a hasty warning he had to give Orthorn before the High Elf actually did as Mohamara instructed. "And--be advised. You'll get the most direct questions answered from the ones in Sanguine's realm… but they chose to live in Sanguine's realm so expect them to act like perverts."

Mohamara paused in his cheese distribution as his students went back to their tasks. A horrible thought had wormed its way into his head: Was he being racist against the fox-folk?

"Only a little bit," Sheogorath commented from within Mohamara's ears. "Not nearly as racist as you've been against Nords in the past, though. Also, that pizza doesn't have nearly enough cheese!"

--

Chillrend, being a malachite glass sword, the weapon was significantly lighter and thinner than a steel sword made in the Nordic style. And because it was a shortsword, or a long dagger according to Hadvar, it was one of the rare weapons Mohamara could wield one-handed and still seem like a threat.

Since the addition of students ate up Mohamara's workload almost faster than the Legion could add to it, the cat had free time to learn how to wield a sword. Even if Hadvar admitted he was convinced that without far more substantial muscles, and way more weight, Mohamara would never actually be a threat with a weapon.

"But…." The cat had said after Hadvar confessed the doubts. "My niece, she's ten years old. And Yagraz doesn't hesitate to tell me how dangerous she is with a blade. I'm only slightly shorter and lighter than her…."

"Well, your niece has the benefit of being taught by the greatest warrior the Companions, an order of great warriors, have seen since the start of the Era." Hadvar shrugged. "If you want to train with a blade for exercise, or even just knowledge of how to use it, I'll teach you what I know. But I very much doubt you'll ever be able to use it in a fight."

"The Nord way to fight, and the Orc way to fight emphasize strength," Yehochanan commented from Mohamara's back. "You are neither a Nord or an Orc. What you have is speed, agility, and the power to always have the high ground. Don't fight like a Nord soldier or an Orc champion; fight like a Khajiit Mystic. But if it can be avoided, do not fight at all."

"Nothing wrong with being a skirmisher," Hadvar admitted with crossed arms. "It's not my way, and I can't teach it."

The spider-crab scuttled onto the Khajiit's shoulder and down his arm. "Long before the Alterers figured out how to move things with magicka, the Psijics could turn the very terrain into their weapons. No boulder was too heavy to become a bludgeon, no spear too short to strike their foes." Yehochanan gently took the sword from Mohamara's grasp and held it away from his hand. Through their mutual connection, the spider-crab set up sympathetic bonds with where the sword was, and how it had felt in his hand.

When the spider-crab released the sword, Chillrend stayed floating in the air. The blue malachite glass shortsword slowly rotated but stayed about a foot from Mohamara's hand.

Hadvar watched, amazed, as the cat bade the sword thrust, swing, or block without actually touching it at all. "If the Psijics could do stuff like that," the Quaestor commented, "I understand why the Thalmor were so afraid of them."

"I'm also pretty sure this is illegal," Mohamara muttered as he had Chillrend spin at great speed, turning it into a blue disk of death. "You're supposed to have a license to even study telekinesis."

Yehochanan clacked his claws like castanets. "Those laws are restrictions for a society that doesn't exist yet."

"Can you do that with… other things?" Hadvar asked.

Both cat and Daedric spider-crab looked at each other, suddenly full of ideas.

--

When General Tullius and his guard arrived in Helgen, it was to find that the military town had an undue level of frivolity about it. Right in the marketplace were members of the Legion, tossing objects of various sizes for a Legion conscript to catch and juggle. What was alarming was that these items were so numerous that it formed almost a perfect circle. And to General Tullius' eye, he could tell that cat wasn't actually touching any of the objects he was 'juggling', just moving his hands near them as they came down.

It made the townsfolk happy enough, but it was also not what the cat had been paid for.

While the General consulted with the local Praefect about the state of the garrison, he had Rikke break up the waste of the Legion's time and bring the cat--his soon to be son-in-law in for a formal review.

The cat, with his eyesight back again, seemed more confident and distinctly pinker than when the General last had a private chat with him.

On the Praefect's desk, appropriated for Tullius' use, was the documentation of the cat's productivity, field reviews of the enchanted items he'd provided, and testimonials about working with the Khajiit. The General and the conscript sat in silence while these were reviewed until the General set the last one down and steepled his fingers.

"...You're wearing earrings," Seneca Tullius broke the silence with an observation and an arched brow.

"Marcurio gave them to me," the Khajiit responded, not afraid of the General but still tense.

"Hmm. I wonder who they belonged to before he stole them."

Mohamara's expression became hostile, understandably. The cat sat straighter and glared to meet Tullius' withering look. "Marcurio didn't steal them, he told me so."

"And you believed him? He's been stealing from the Legion, from you, and from other people across Skyrim who don't know to put his face to their hardships. He's a thief, and only stupid people trust thieves." Tullius leaned forward and rose both eyebrows as he looked down at the cat. "Are you stupid, Mr. Ahramani?"

Surprisingly, the cat shrugged. "A little bit, yeah. Everyone's stupid sometimes." Tullius did not see it, but the cat began to work magic upon him. He connected the General to a bound up lump of excess kindness that Yehochanan had extracted from his brain earlier that morning. He noticed a faint flash of pink in the General's eyes, but no other change.

"I suppose you're right. We'll see how much you trust him in a year's time." Tullius leaned back in his borrowed seat. "Please understand that I do understand--Marcurio is charming, he has a gift for worming into people's hearts. But he's also not above using those gifts to get himself ahead, I've seen that myself. I imagine Jarl Laila Law-Giver will come to realize that before the end of this madness." The General lifted up a parchment and examined it once more. "But this isn't a meeting to talk about my son or his debauched lifestyle. The point of this meeting is to review your performance since being assigned here. It's come to my attention, per this report, that you've taken on some… students to bolster productivity. Naturally, these people will need to be entered into the Legion's records and--"

As it turned out, spending almost four hours talking about paperwork that needed to be filled out, then filling out that paperwork, finding out that the paperwork had been the wrong paperwork and doing the correct paperwork was a form of suffering Mohamara didn't know existed. It was somehow worse than filing his taxes. Which, when Mohamara made the comparison, prompted General Tullius to call in Hadvar and fill out the cat's Haafingar, Skyrim, and Imperial taxes. Which took another four hours.

"...Sign here to authorize the Legion to quarter soldiers in the pending settlement on your property," Hadvar said with the same cheer he'd had at the start of the process and put a parchment in front of Mohamara.

The cat groaned like a Draugr and was about to sign when he paused. "There's an old Dragon Cult fortress built into the end of the valley, can I lease that to the Legion instead?"

"You're not the first Skyrim landowner to ask that," Tullius commented. "No, you cannot. Nordic ruins don't meet the building requirements for Legion encampments. However the paperwork your people filed with Elisif's court suggests that they intend to use that fortress as the starting point for their settlement. So whatever Legion forces we send there, if any, would have to help construct the settlement to be quartered there legally."

Mohamara squinted, still with the pen ready to sign. "Are you saying I can use Imperial bureaucracy to help my people build their settlement faster?"

The General met Mohamara's eyes with a blank expression. "The Legion is good for more than just killing people, son. Someone's going to have to build the roads to and from this settlement and Solitude."

"...A'ight," Mohamara shrugged and signed and dated the document. "Not going to turn down help I'm paying taxes for."

"And already you're better than legitimately half this province."

Hadvar frowned slightly, but added the document to the stack of paperwork and brought forth another when a horn sounded from outside the building. "General, that's the--"

"I know the enemy forces horn, soldier." Tullius stood and nonchalantly walked around the desk. "The only Stormcloak encampment in the area recently lost half their men to that Hagraven's coven, yes? Then they're starving and want a warrior's death because we've gotten no reports from Fort Neugrad about reinforcements--"

A rock that could only have been launched from a trebuchet struck the building, burst through the window and crushed the desk where General Tullius had been moments before. Thankfully Hadvar saved the paperwork.

Tullius seemed rather adaptive to the situation, in all honesty. "Or the gods can decide I'm wrong on all counts. That works too."

--

With the Red Shoes enchantment and Mystic telekinesis, it proved almost too easy to get the civilians over the city walls and headed toward Riverwood and Falkreath. The Stormcloaks outnumbered the Legion garrison, but the Legion had spent weeks benefiting from an increasing stockpile of Mohamara's enchanted items. It took the eastern gate being taken out by trebuchet fire to let Ulfric's boys and girls get into Helgen proper because the archers were cutting them down before they could get their siege ladders up.

Mohamara had his students go with the townspeople to see them safely on their journey, and spent his time zooming around with the Red Shoes enchantment to heal people, enchant rocks with Explosive Runes and lobb them into the Stormcloak ranks, and in general, made a nuisance of himself.

Unfortunately, the Stormcloaks having far, far more men, and trebuchet support meant that even with a combat healer keeping the Legion soldiers alive far longer than they should have been, they lost the town by inches.

The order for retreat came from the General and would go through the keep since the north gate was blocked by a collapsed section of the wall. And, of course, Mohamara did not do the sensible thing and follow those orders right away, but attempted to combine the Red Shoes enchantment and telekinesis to retrieve injured Legionnaires. It also occurred to him, while he did so, that he could just launch people over the walls. Not even Legionnaires, he could do so with Stormcloaks.

Four Legion soldiers had been retrieved and twenty-plus Stormcloaks had been flung over the walls when they got too close before someone managed to put an end to the cat's nonsense.

A vicious bear of a Stormcloak officer, armored in literal bear fur, managed to sneak up on the cat when he wasn't looking and bring down his iron battleax on the pink Khajiit's tail. The cat froze and puffed up right away, with only a hissing 'f' noise escaping his clenched jaw.

Sheogorath watched the battle from on the slopes of the mountain, eating tundra cotton out of a sack like popcorn while a Hagraven looked on through opera glasses. "Moira, dear girl," the Mad God said as a palpable tension developed in the air, "do you ever get the feeling that something real bad is about to happ--"

He was cut off by a shockwave erupting from Helgen. A cacophonous scream of agony echoed through the surrounding land--and the Mad God was in a particularly good spot to watch sympathetic bonds of hideous pain explode from Helgen to reach out to every living thing for miles. Every soldier in the Legion and Stormcloak armies aboveground found themselves writing or seizing from the flood of foreign pain assaulting them. Faintly, he could make out a particularly naughty word in the scream.

The snow on the slopes of the Throat of the World shook free in a legendary avalanche that would be spoken of for decades to come. Trees bent and caught fire from the strain. A dragon was knocked from the air and pinned to Kyne's sacred mountain as the snow passed. And the town of Helgen itself saw the mortar holding its stonework together vibrate itself to dust. The physical sound of the scream was audible as far north as Solstheim and as far south as the Imperial City.

"Ooh, boy's got some lungs on him."

--

Meanwhile, far to the north Ulfric Stormcloak, proud Nord warrior, Tongue, and Jarl of Windhelm looked up at the sound of a cacophonous shout that echoed across the Sea of Ghosts. His navy was about to turn the cape and enter Solitude's bay to begin their half of the attack. The strange omen disturbed his men, as it disturbed Ulfric. But they had come too far to let mere omens stop them.

He went to the prow of the flagship, The High-King, and began to think of a speech that would put fire in the bellies of his men and get them spoiling for a fight.

"Stormcloaks! Sons and Daughters of Skyrim! Harken to me! Today, we will cut off one head of the Imperial dragon looming our homeland. Think of all the cruelties we have faced up to this point, the hardships! Picture the faces of all you have lost to an Empire too weak to rule you, and too distant to give a damn about you. Today, it ends! Today we will liberate the people of Haafingar! Today we--!"

Ulfric's speech was cut short by a second omen. A stone statue sailed through the air and smashed into the deck of his ship. To the Stormcloaks' horror, even Ulfric, it bore the seeming of his trusted friend and second in command, Galmar Stone-Fist. The poor man's face was frozen in a mask of horror and agony.

"....go home. Today, we go home. Because neither the gods, or the winds, favor us." All the fire was gone from Ulfric as he looked at the statue of his friend. As he did, water began to bubble up around the base of the statue, firmly punched through the hull.

"Sho-should we… go to the lifeboats?" A closed-helmeted Stormcloak soldier asked the crew at large.

"Yes," Ulfric said, defeated. "That would probably be for the best."
---
You want to know the worst part? Mohamara has to do all that paperwork again because they got exploded. Poor guy.

Last edited:
He just had that tail fixed, you monster! And Ulfric just got his first clue by four that the gods are distinctly unhappy with his little rebellion. That might actually do it in, given the sheer targeted horror of such an omen Boyo, that was a good one.

"You're supposed to have a license to even study telekinesis."
How exactly would they stop you? You can't search someone's brain or impound their memories.
At the very least, outside of some form of magical Orwellian dystopia, and I don't recall any thought police being mentioned uptime.
"Can you do that with… other things?" Hadvar asked.
Like, say, the blood inside someone's carotid artery?
He connected the General to a bound up lump of excess kindness that Yehochanan had extracted from his brain earlier that morning.
Never mind, magical mind control it is.
Because neither the gods, or the winds, favor us
I'd say poor Ulfric, but...

Magical mind control is sort of the norm for divinity. Brings up an interesting question: Is it mind control to introduce emotions where they weren't there before even if it's your cosmological purpose to do so?

And the government wouldd find out the same way they'd find out he knows Destruction magic without being licensed, the same way they could potentially find out he'd used grand soul gems illegally. I'll give you a hint: The people who can do it keep taking their island out of Nirn specifically to avoid their arts being abused in that way.

The Twenty-First Era is a little by dystopian because, like ours, it is facing existential problems that threaten the old power structure in ways that make its continued existence uncertain. Those in power long to keep their power, and thus clamp down on small-time offenders to intimidate potential big-time offenders, and slow the change that they know is coming.

Last edited:
Magical mind control is sort of the norm for divinity. Brings up an interesting question: Is it mind control to introduce emotions where they weren't there before even if it's your cosmological purpose to do so?

And the government wouldd find out the same way they'd find out he knows Destruction magic without being licensed, the same way they could potentially find out he'd used grand soul gems illegally. I'll give you a hint: The people who can do it keep taking their island out of Nirn specifically to avoid their arts being abused in that way.

The Twenty-First Era is a little by dystopian because, like ours, it is facing existential problems that threaten the old power structure in ways that make its continued existence uncertain. Those in power long to keep their power, and thus clamp down on small-time offenders to intimidate potential big-time offenders, and slow the change that they know is coming.

Well, of course the Psijic Order has gone full asshole. So, we're basically looking at a full collapse in the future, followed by a reorganization (again) of the Empire? I take it you're hinting at the endgame of our fic?

Back