Self-Insert Idea Thread

Hm... I wonder how many of the Warcraft Novels I need to read in order to write a good enough self insert for the setting.
None, actually. AU fics are a thing, after all, as are fics using only limited parts of canon. Making a fic solely off of lore present at the release of Warcraft Three: The Frozen Throne is perfectly valid. Working exclusively with in-game lore will give you all you need for an SI, and will still easily take over a month of research.

I, myself, can give advise on quite a bit of stuff, and can point you to rather active threads that give a damn about lore. The Blizzard forums probably are a good place to find lore advice, if you want to look there, and YouTube has quite a few let's plays and full series of videos about only lore.

Your greatest ally, ultimately, is that most of the World of Warcraft fanbase gives no fucks about lore outside obvious questlines. So just doing all the quests that you run into while leveling and raiding with characters will give you all you need for most of the fanbase. This will probably take months, due to needing to run every raid in the game on the highest difficulty available(not counting Mythic+), some multiple times due to arbitrary requirements, and if you do, record that shit so you have video to make notes from. Because quests aren't repeatable.

I recommend just watching all the lore videos.

Hm... I wonder how many of the Warcraft Novels I need to read in order to write a good enough self insert for the setting.

None, actually. AU fics are a thing, after all, as are fics using only limited parts of canon. Making a fic solely off of lore present at the release of Warcraft Three: The Frozen Throne is perfectly valid. Working exclusively with in-game lore will give you all you need for an SI, and will still easily take over a month of research.

I, myself, can give advise on quite a bit of stuff, and can point you to rather active threads that give a damn about lore. The Blizzard forums probably are a good place to find lore advice, if you want to look there, and YouTube has quite a few let's plays and full series of videos about only lore.

Your greatest ally, ultimately, is that most of the World of Warcraft fanbase gives no fucks about lore outside obvious questlines. So just doing all the quests that you run into while leveling and raiding with characters will give you all you need for most of the fanbase. This will probably take months, due to needing to run every raid in the game on the highest difficulty available(not counting Mythic+), some multiple times due to arbitrary requirements, and if you do, record that shit so you have video to make notes from. Because quests aren't repeatable.

I recommend just watching all the lore videos.
Do consider whether you're planning to include events from Cataclysm. Due to Nozdormu time shenanigans, the entire Night Elf race may or may not be butterflied out of existence.
  • Original: Well of Eternity detonates in an uncontrolled explosion, wiping out the Night Elves to complete extinction. Glassed Kalimdor eventually resettled by the Horde.
  • Timezoned: Well of Eternity discharged in a much more controlled fashion, Night Elves survive to see Warcraft III. Kalimdor now contested territory between them and the Orcs.
Addendum: The less said about Medivh and entire Tirisfalen debacle, the better. Even after these years, I still struggle to process what happened.

Obligatory: Who's your daddy.

Last edited:
A few generations later you're at Essence 5 at minimum and everyone is almost incapable of defying you because you've used Fealty Acknowledging Audience on every noble of note.

One Charm is enough to prevent any kind of serious uprising against you. It's not even necessarily the best for this purpose, it's just the first that came to mind for me. If you put even the slightest sliver of effort towards securing their loyalty, you could do even better.

And if they go to war anyway? Just beat the shit out of their dragons with your bare hands. If, in the unlikely event their dragons can seriously harm you somehow, assume one of the combat focused Shintai and continue with the beating until they get the message.

They just do not pose a threat to you. At all. To your kingdom, assuming you have done literally nothing to secure their loyalty, they'd certainly do economic damage in their death throes but that's relatively easy to take care of given that your excellencies alone give you superhuman prowess in any field you've trained in.

It's like an adult fighting children except worse because enough children might wear the adult down but no matter how many men they throw at you, it will never be enough.

The actual struggle is in what you do with that power, especially when it heavily incentivises you to be an actual, no-shit supervillain.
That is overall true. However, IMO "taunt the GM" includes "conjure up more bullshit to give to the baddies."

Fire zombies erupting out of Valyria? Okay.
NK going full Lich King? Why not.
Deep Ones invading from the Sunset Sea? Challenge accepted.
Converting the Faith of the Seven into a Church of the Yozis, then going Devil-Tiger anyway? Oops, forgot that they don't appreciate that much.
Using the Endless Desert to go planeswalking with a waifu? It's only five days in and five days out to go wherever you want (or maybe five days period if you don't have to use the Demon City as a pit stop...). What's the worst that could happen?

Last edited:
Do consider whether you're planning to include events from Cataclysm. Due to Nozdormu time shenanigans, the entire Night Elf race may or may not be butterflied out of existence.
  • Original: Well of Eternity detonates in an uncontrolled explosion, wiping out the Night Elves to complete extinction. Glassed Kalimdor eventually resettled by the Horde.
  • Timezoned: Well of Eternity discharged in a much more controlled fashion, Night Elves survive to see Warcraft III. Kalimdor now contested territory between them and the Orcs.
Addendum: The less said about Medivh and entire Tirisfalen debacle, the better. Even after these years, I still struggle to process what happened.

Wait what? What did Nozdormu do to cause the Night Elves to go extinct? The closest I can get is him mentioning that there are few coherent timelines that result in Queen Azshara dying during the Well of Eternity dungeon.

So, i had an idea for a SI...

Man, my last month was a complete shit show.

First, i got fired and them hit be a truck while inside on the second floor of my ex-workspace. Second, some idiotic dragon in other world thought: You know what i need? Some poor fucker soul, so i can slam dunk it on one of my servants and make him fulfill my totally awesome (and really vague) prophecy!". And third, why saving a princess is so annoying? Why i doing it, at all? And where i get dragonborn sized helms?

Self-Insert into an Urban Fantasy setting.

of course, we'd have power ups, but the ultimate villains would be Great Old Ones and Outer Gods just called the Great Old Gods.

Wait what? What did Nozdormu do to cause the Night Elves to go extinct? The closest I can get is him mentioning that there are few coherent timelines that result in Queen Azshara dying during the Well of Eternity dungeon.
The reason why Night Elves weren't in the original Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. (They were an expansion race)

In the original timeline, the Well of Eternity was supposed to detonate in a pretty huge explosion (the Cataclysm) that resulted in mana being freely available everywhere on the planet (as opposed to what amounted to a giant Moonwell).

According to script, this was pretty much Meteorite Chicxulub for the planet. Scratch one dominant species and a very dented Kalimdor.

Being a gaping hole of physics-frackery, the Burning Legion attempted (with demonic timey-wimeyness) to summon Sargaeras early through the Well, Nozdormu attempted to interfere but was countered. In desperation he proceeded to blast Rhonin back to the past to fix the whole mess, kicking off the start of Cataclysm (story).

Long story short: Night Elves pop back into existence on a much more intact notAfricaKalimdor. Also, Sargaeras perma-killed (as I recall?) via Dimension Crush from an incomplete portal.

Butterflies everywhere.

Addendum: Hellhounds are the Dementors of Azeroth. Those things are horrifying.

Last edited:
The reason why Night Elves weren't in the original Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. (They were an expansion race)

In the original timeline, the Well of Eternity was supposed to detonate in a pretty huge explosion (the Cataclysm) that resulted in mana being freely available everywhere on the planet (as opposed to what amounted to a giant Moonwell).

According to script, this was pretty much Meteorite Chicxulub for the planet. Scratch one dominant species and a very dented Kalimdor.

Being a gaping hole of physics-frackery, the Burning Legion attempted (with demonic timey-wimeyness) to summon Sargaeras early through the Well, Nozdormu attempted to interfere but was countered. In desperation he proceeded to blast Rhonin back to the past to fix the whole mess, kicking off the start of Cataclysm (story).

Long story short: Night Elves pop back into existence on a much more intact notAfricaKalimdor. Also, Sargaeras perma-killed (as I recall?) via Dimension Crush from an incomplete portal.

Butterflies everywhere.

Addendum: Hellhounds are the Dementors of Azeroth. Those things are horrifying.

What book is that from, or is it from some other source? I was thinking about planning out some kind of 'escape from the alternate timeline' sort of thing, though admittedly most of those plans revolved around... Hearthstone's Whispers of the Old Gods and the alignment flipped timeline in Heroes of the Storm, but something like that could be fun.

A glowing blue portal that spat out a strange elf with green eyes. Whoever's heard of an elf with green eyes? I thought they were supposed to all have blue eyes!

What book is that from, or is it from some other source? I was thinking about planning out some kind of 'escape from the alternate timeline' sort of thing, though admittedly most of those plans revolved around... Hearthstone's Whispers of the Old Gods and the alignment flipped timeline in Heroes of the Storm, but something like that could be fun.
Warcraft 3's Cataclysm Trilogy.

What? No.

All four proper factions in The Frozen Throne were already in the original Reign of Chaos. The only thing that comes close to what you are saying is the pseudo faction of the Naga who are campaign exclusive and blah.

That is overall true. However, IMO "taunt the GM" includes "conjure up more bullshit to give to the baddies."

Fire zombies erupting out of Valyria? Okay.
NK going full Lich King? Why not.
Deep Ones invading from the Sunset Sea? Challenge accepted.
Converting the Faith of the Seven into a Church of the Yozis, then going Devil-Tiger anyway? Oops, forgot that they don't appreciate that much.
Using the Endless Desert to go planeswalking with a waifu? It's only five days in and five days out to go wherever you want (or maybe five days period if you don't have to use the Demon City as a pit stop...). What's the worst that could happen?

Okay? If you want to use things entirely outside of the Game of Thrones canon, I don't see much point in having it in that setting in the first place.

Currently struggling with the morality of shooting witty one-liners in combat.

One one hand, very satisfying for the SI as they come to terms with the fact that yes, they're pretty badass now.

On the other hand, isn't it a little... callous, when people are dying at your hands?
It really depends on how your writing your story and what enemies your facing.

If it's just mindless monsters/wildlife, not worth it. Just kill them and be done with it

A hate sink? Quip away as you kick their asses (lethally or not) my friend.

Mooks? See monsters, unless they belong to an evil/dick-bag organization, then quip away.

The setting's completely irredeemable assholes? Brutally insult them as you punch in their shit.

It's a matter of prospective...

To Sue or not to (Mary) Sue, that is the question.

I have a sinking feeling I may not survive the scenario without OCP assistance.

To Sue or not to (Mary) Sue, that is the question.

I have a sinking feeling I may not survive the scenario without OCP assistance.

Honestly? Nobody would survive most SI fics without some sort of boost. The trick is giving just enough of a boost to keep things interesting.
SECURITY! is one where the only boost - for a long while - the protagonist has is his "I read the story" knowledge. And is quite interesting for it.

But for stories where unanswerably mighty powers don't ruin it, I recommend Taylor Varga and It Gets Worse..., because in both cases the tension and suspense aren't dependent on the main character (Taylor) being threatened, but on asking how things will unfold. The latter of the two is actually a variation on classic cartoons; you know the Coyote will fail spectacularly, and you're watching to see HOW.

For a professional work that handles an overpowered protagonist and still manages to be very interesting, see One Punch Man. Saitama will win when he shows up. The world's reaction to him is about a third of the interest; what happens while he's on his way, and the development of other characters as part of the world's reaction, makes up the majority of the rest.

It's quite possible to do it without much in the way of powers, except for the ability to speak the language if that's a point, otherwise things get very complicated. But that requires some vaguely non-overpowered setting. Or at least, there has to be space for social stuff, which is where people should be able to do something at least. If they're not hopeless nerds of course.

there is one game one game that i would love to see someone ANYONE tackle with a self insert. a game so hammy so rejecting in its reality of what actually happened that it kind of makes its own reality and then spread across the gap to another nation and then traveled across the silk road and got watered down a tiny bit once it made its debut into Europe. this game let me pass Chinese history with an A. I am talking of course about dynasty warriors.

but commander i hear you say isn't there already a bunch of self inserts with the main character getting sent into the three kingdoms china and making their own kingdom there. to which i respond yes yes there is but only with reference to all of the characters being gender-bent and female.

what i am talking about is a straight dynasty warriors self insert. lets use dynasty warriors 8/8 extreme legends as the examples here. but first a quick introduction into dynasty warriors for those who do not know.

dynasty warriors is a....loose

ok really loose

ok really loose reality rejecting rete....sorry fanfiction of romance of the three kingdoms where apparently someone didn't tell anyone that the laws of physics are actually supposed to exist.

everything is turned up to 11 ranging from weapons clothing attacks speeches and personality. I'm not joking when i say that if there is a series where giving your self insert random powers and weapons would actually mean nothing it would be this universe, and this is a hack and slash game.

so lets get into the meat of the idea. a self insert either someone studying history or archeology or hell even economics(lord knows some of the leaders need that) finds a weapon and due to the innate wizardry that was put into it by Zuo Ci it sends him/her all the way back to three kingdoms china.

from here it can go one of a few ways. options 1-4 you pick a kingdom either shu wei wu or jin and take part in the history that made our timeline what it is. options 5-8 involve the hypothetical routes. honestly either one could work.

in the case of the former it could be a sign of futility or simply just trying to survive in a place where the laws of reality are constantly being broken. they either want to help out their kingdom but due to their lack of ability are unable to rise above the rank of generic officer and thus can't really affect anything or they simply just want to find a way back to their own time and if following history is a way to do it then why fix what is broken. it would be a slightly depressing tale that may start out optimistic. with initial victories but loss after loss dead friend after dead friend it could drive them to well turn into someone they never thought they would be. even if they do make it back to their time.. their experience is something that may haunt them for a very long time, something that they may not even be able to share with friends or family.

on the other hand the hypothetical routes would be much more lighthearted even if still intense the idea to go into the hypothetical routes for the various kingdoms can be done in a few ways. the first and most boring is the i know my history route and thus i can extrapolate what needs to be done. this unfortunately has the issue of being well the typical self insert that already knows everything. the more fun one could be creating a few alternate history moments that lead to the hypothetical scenarios coming to fruition. two ideas for this come to mind. the first one is the SI being sent into the time period where the yellow turbans are a thing and they find Cai Wenji kidnapped by the yellow turbans, manages to rescue her because uhhhh terrible guards or something eventually running into Liu Bei's volunteer army and beginning the hypothetical scenario there...alongside Cai Wenji because she triggered Liu Bei's forces helping out the village that is under attack. another idea to trigger a hypothetical scenario, is with Wu only this time they arrive at the end of the Battle of Xiangyang and accidentally save Sun Jian's life... by taking an arrow to the shoulder.

dynasty warriors has a somewhat confusing butterfly effect story at times so give me some time and I could find some other points to make for this thing to work.

Just watching parts of Digibro's video flaying of The Asterisk War, which briefly inspired me the idea of someone stuck replacing Claudia and filling the role of the Student Council President but with no idea of what's going on. The SI is therefore stuck trying to make sense of the ill-explained and ill-thought out issues of the series.

The SI then becomes more or less the hero(ine) of another story, using blandy protagonist, light novel girl, token loli and so forth to cover up for her own unavoidable incompetence in the role she's stuck in. (Inasmuch as she's now running a science-fiction battle school while knowing nothing about it).

Building Faith's third and final arc of the trilogy has been completed. Of course, I do plan on continuing beyond that point, but it'll have a new thread.

I wonder what sort of culture a genuine anime battle school will foster. Will it be akin to a constant Mexican standoff? Upper-class politicking and intrigue? Or full of shounen energy?
Judging from how it is portrayed, completely normal until AFTER the school hours end. Can't have anything unique and exciting getting in the way of societal programming time.

Crossposting from Spacebattles.

An Original Dark Fantasy SI idea!

Okay... context first. So, this first started off waaaaay back when I had some ideas about the Familiar of Zero setting and thought to do some worldbuilding for it. I took Spellforce, an old RTS/RPG hybrid that I'm fond of, shifted the game mechanics a bit to translate better in Real Life physics, added in a dash of The Chronicles of the Black Company, mixed 'em all together, and... well, before I knew it, I had accidently created a world where I pretty much went, "You know what? Screw it, I'm just gonna make it an Original instead," and rolled with it.

So. Story idea.

Essentially, the Self Insert finds himself in control of a fantasy equivalent to a magical Brutally Efficient Self Replicating Machine of War, except the army it builds are more in line of a fanatic female Elven army than that of a machine. The thing is, the Self Insert is missing some blueprints, so he's literally running on Tier I, which his troops are well within a skilled, professional man's capabilities if better. He doesn't have access to either Tier II or Tier III, which are much more powerful and much more dangerous. Tier II is more of the line of the Nasuverse's Holy Grail War, except instead of employing Servants, it's armies of Servants, and Tier III, it's armies of Heroic Spirits.

Yes, now you understand why it is, indeed, a magical BESRMoW.

Unfortunately, the SI runs to a bit of trouble: none of his troops have magical capabilities, and what little they did have got destroyed when the local Orc guardians popped open the failsafe spell that sunk literally the only means the SI has to replace his troops, as well as the impossibly advanced magical runic infrastructure that would have made his life so much easier. Soon after that, he discovered that the elves are pretty much demonized by the local humans as magical powerhouses that would've genocided Humanity if their deity and his followers haven't done the same in the first place, and that the local magocracy government is hostile and is going to genocide him and his troops as well, as soon as they are able. Diplomacy is refused by lethal attacks upon their person.

So from Day Five, the SI has to deal with a hostile, established fedual magocracy whose out to genocide him and his soldiers with nothing but regular, medieval abilities, with no magical support, no gunpowder, no cavalry, and only infantry, missile troops, workers, and whatever else they can scavenge, while communicating orders by runners.

Literally the only things the SI has running for him are, A.) no need for food or water, and his troops just don't flat out tire out of fatigue; B.) superior equipment (the SI equipped his elves with Renaissance gears, or at least the closest approximation); C.) numbers (total was in the hundred thousand, which is really big for a medieval army, so he will pretty much outright dwarf his opponent); D.) surprise (took him five days to get a hundred thousand troops, in a medieval society; plus it will take time for the Empire to respond, and they already have troubles of their own.); E.) Organization and Loyalty; and F.) being damage soakers; his troops and him don't feel pain the same way, and they literally don't die unless you either chop them to pieces, or completely destroy the 'brain' analogue.

At first, the SI was able to overrun the local regional forces and install pseudo-government. Most of the time he is either dealing with politics, putting down riots and rebellions, or trying to keep everything under control, while also trying to figure out why he's here, what the heck is going on, and why does everyone hate him so much, I mean seriously?!!

And then the first, real Imperial response comes. And it's lead by Goddamned Magical Girls, who sprout flowery, colorful nonsense about Love, Justice, and the Empire, and then proceeds to wreck his shit, Bloody Hell!

So begins of trying not to get him and his troops from dying from Sparkly Magical Bullshit(TM).

War. War never changes.

Last edited:
Back