They're rifled muskets. They are not breech-loaded, let alone bolt-action, so they have to be loaded from the muzzle.

Well to be fair the existence of our revolvers is a bit crazy anyway.

It means we have bullets, so why do our rifles rely upon all that front loading BS?
Not really. Revolvers had been around since the earlier days of black powder warfare in Europe, but it's not likely that's what we've got. Probably single shots, for a bit of ranged shock or a parting shot in to retreating infantry or as we withdraw.

The game starts right on the cusp of when armies would have started moving toward breech loading service rifles.

They're rifled muskets. They are not breech-loaded, let alone bolt-action, so they have to be loaded from the muzzle.

Yes but the first self contained cartirage (bullet) came over 100 years after the first breach loaded weapon.

Not really. Revolvers had been around since the earlier days of black powder warfare in Europe, but it's not likely that's what we've got. Probably single shots, for a bit of ranged shock or a parting shot in to retreating infantry or as we withdraw.

The game starts right on the cusp of when armies would have started moving toward breech loading service rifles.

A single shot weapon would not be a revolver, they "Revolve" to place new bullets in front of the hammer.

The revolved there cycle making a circle instead of a back and fourth pump used in rifles, which gave them limited shots by size, where as a rifles magazine could be much longer.

A single shot weapon would not be a revolver, they "Revolve" to place new bullets in front of the hammer.

The revolved there cycle making a circle instead of a back and fourth pump used in rifles, which gave them limited shots by size, where as a rifles magazine could be much longer.
My stars! Is that how words work? :rolleyes:

I'm saying our pistols aren't likely to be revolvers. In fact the only person who's mentioned revolvers in the thread is you (thank you search function). It doesn't fit the era or sensibility of the Empire.

I'm saying our pistols aren't likely to be revolvers. In fact the only person who's mentioned revolvers in the thread is you (thank you search function). It doesn't fit the era or sensibility of the Empire.

Wow well I'm sleep deprived and drunk, Idk how I saw pistol and replaced it with revolver for weeks now.

I'd actually say it is possible that we could have revolvers, just highly unlikely as they would be rare.

Actually Revolvers and repeating rifles have been around for a while. During the Civil war Officers carried a six shot revolvers. If a man could afford it they would buy a Henry Rifle that when it was used by the Union the Rebs would say "Damn Yankee can load on Sunday and shoot all week long." This refers to that when loading a Henry Rifle it could hold if I remember correctly eight to ten rounds which where metal. The way you load is that under the barrel there is a tube which you flick open that you drop the rounds down face up. You close the tube and pull the lever loading it into the chamber and then fire. Also by this point most officers would have a service revolver and a sword.

I think we both should honestly. Your character has the Charisma score, mine has the intelligence. Between the two of them they might get a better understanding of the situation. And i still want to check out the woods, I know there is a fight going on at the FOB, but if the other ten regiments can't hold them off we are already fucked.

However I would avoid heading North-East, I don't want to fight wolves.

Or more importantly, I don't want to fight this worlds version of wolves.

Actually Revolvers and repeating rifles have been around for a while. During the Civil war Officers carried a six shot revolvers. If a man could afford it they would buy a Henry Rifle that when it was used by the Union the Rebs would say "Damn Yankee can load on Sunday and shoot all week long." This refers to that when loading a Henry Rifle it could hold if I remember correctly eight to ten rounds which where metal. The way you load is that under the barrel there is a tube which you flick open that you drop the rounds down face up. You close the tube and pull the lever loading it into the chamber and then fire. Also by this point most officers would have a service revolver and a sword.
The question is less their existence than their adoption.

Most Officers come from Noble families. They will usually buy the Revolver themselves or the Military issues then one. Which they do for Officers due to the fact that the Revolver was more for shooting your men if they tried to run.

I think we both should honestly. Your character has the Charisma score, mine has the intelligence. Between the two of them they might get a better understanding of the situation. And i still want to check out the woods, I know there is a fight going on at the FOB, but if the other ten regiments can't hold them off we are already fucked.

However I would avoid heading North-East, I don't want to fight wolves.

Or more importantly, I don't want to fight this worlds version of wolves.

Yeah lets get a meeting, You, Your Witches, and a few of my best. (No offense but if were talking to ghost I want a few of my own with me)

I would hope I'm rather good at killing wolves, armor, swords and pistols.

Most Officers come from Noble families. They will usually buy the Revolver themselves or the Military issues then one. Which they do for Officers due to the fact that the Revolver was more for shooting your men if they tried to run.

Probably the Lefaucheux, or one of the British models. Which means we must touch French weapons and pollute pure Russian hearts with their evil. Wear thick gloves tovarishch, unless you want your spirit to fade and your bones be as brittle and easily crushed as the little froggies.

Probably the Lefaucheux, or one of the British models. Which means we must touch French weapons and pollute pure Russian hearts with their evil. Wear thick gloves tovarishch, unless you want your spirit to fade and your bones be as brittle and easily crushed as the little froggies.

Nah. If we had anything it would be the Colt Navy, it was used by the Russian Empire and like Glitter and Crabs, it got absolutely everywhere.

Hm... @Simpli : Between our 3 Regiments we have 2 Earth Witches Covens and Pioneers. Can we utilize the Covens to create a cavern and ramps large enough to hide.... oh well... 2000 men and horses? ^^

You could create a hole without a roof that would be large enough for 2000 men and their horses to take cover in - but getting a cavern would demand more than simply moving earth and for supports and the like you would need mundane methods and time. If you want them to stay inside of there only for a short time, your gathered forces might be able to building something like that in a days time...

...just also keep in mind that your supply line to the staging points is broken right now and depending on how you act, shortages might appear till you reconnect with the Staging Point once more.

Can clackers ride horses though?

They can't - but they don't need to rest either. Its not like cavalry is that much faster than infantry as long as it isn't driving itself and the Clankers can easily out-march their flesh-and-blood equivalents.

@Simpli, can you clarify if this is true?

Grenadiers were mostly thought up for the use against Fortifications...or to give you an edge against armored opponents. If cavalry wants to use them...maybe give them a 300 CR attack in close range when simply charging into the melee isn't possible or wished for?

Though that's modern, I would still be surprised if a IC revolver didn't have 20+ yards accuracy and that sounds like close range not melee to me.

Well....roughly:

Melee Range: Range of pistols/lances/swords/bayonets etc etc.
Close Range: 100 yards - Distance at which muskets are fairly accurate and one is able to tell apart friend or foe in the smoke of the gunpowder.
Medium Range: 200 yards - Distance at which Rifled Muskets are still as accurate as smooth-bore muskets are in close range.
Far Range: Everything above it up to 400/500 yards.

And please: no discussion of this classification now - its a workable system for me, even if one could of course expand it for a variety of weapons and the like. Just keep in mind that you need one one movement turn to close up /or pull back from one range into the other.

Back