Requisite pony thread (No creepers)

Punklestia by amaynceus
Daily Doodle #452/1000 - Of COURSE I had to draw punk Rarity (along with every other artist in the fandom) but I needed to try a little Celestia too – after all, it *is* still #shiptember. It's pretty damn rough because I'm too tired to finish it, but overall I like it.

Apparently there's rumors that FIM is ending at Season 9, and they'll be kicking off G5 in 2020. Can anyone more in the loop tell me if this is true or not?

Apparently there's rumors that FIM is ending at Season 9, and they'll be kicking off G5 in 2020. Can anyone more in the loop tell me if this is true or not?
Serious leaks, major data breach with tons of archived mail and things like admin passwords, so it's not a hoax. Yeah, current timeline is 2020 reboot move after S9, starting G5. So they're roughly sticking to the plan from the 2013 investor release, in which G4 was to end in 2019. The leaks contained also a bunch of discussion related to post-reboot Mane 6, with changes to Applejack causing the most upset among the fans.

it's not a hoax. Yeah, current timeline is 2020 reboot move after S9, starting G5. So they're roughly sticking to the plan from the 2013 investor release, in which G4 was to end in 2019
Interesting. Good to hear; hopefully the blank slate can open up some new possibilities now that FIM's starting to run dry.

The leaks contained also a bunch of discussion related to post-reboot Mane 6, with changes to Applejack causing the most upset among the fans.
Huh. What sort of changes? (If it can't be discussed in the thread here, could you PM me?)

It may or may not be true, but strikes me as a fairly sensible plan regardless. It's still a strong show, two more seasons would be a lot done (that'd mean 4 seasons with Starlight as a main character, two with the Pillars), and don't forget Equestria Girls which is going to continue rolling out material (I don't know if more specials, youtube shorts, or any more movies, but it's likely to last about as long).

I think it could possibly be if the movie took off huge and revitalized it, they'd be on plan-indefinite or plan-expansion, but given it was profitable in a moderate way, a gradual sundowning makes sense.

Serious leaks, major data breach with tons of archived mail and things like admin passwords, so it's not a hoax. Yeah, current timeline is 2020 reboot move after S9, starting G5. So they're roughly sticking to the plan from the 2013 investor release, in which G4 was to end in 2019. The leaks contained also a bunch of discussion related to post-reboot Mane 6, with changes to Applejack causing the most upset among the fans.
Interesting, I'd been expecting that if FIM was going to end in the near future, it'd be 8. Nice round number, and the first 4 seasons formed a coherent arc. Starlight Glimmer has been the focus for Seasons 5-7, another two seems a bit much. Then again maybe Season 8 does wrap up the Starlight Glimmer arc and Season 9 is an overall series wrap-up arc.

Also I doubt things are set in stone on the latter stuff, they still have plenty of time to revise G5 Applejack if need be.

I think it could possibly be if the movie took off huge and revitalized it, they'd be on plan-indefinite or plan-expansion, but given it was profitable in a moderate way, a gradual sundowning makes sense.
Wasn't the movie believed to be successful given the budget it was running on?

Last edited:
Wasn't that a fanfic? Back when people thought Twilight Velvet was the author?

The name might also be one of a fanfic, but it's an episode in the season too.

Huh. Please tell me she's at least still got some sort of sleep shenanigans going on.

She's got an ancient egypt vibe going and her signature item is a blindfold, but not really sleep.

Wasn't the movie believed to be successful given the budget it was running on?

Yes, it was a profit maker, I think a fairly good one, but not really an expand-the-franchise type hit.

Interesting, I'd been expecting that if FIM was going to end in the near future, it'd be 8. Nice round number, and the first 4 seasons formed a coherent arc. Starlight Glimmer has been the focus for Seasons 5-7, another two seems a bit much. Then again maybe Season 8 does wrap up the Starlight Glimmer arc and Season 9 is an overall series wrap-up arc.

My view is that Starlight's focus-arc is done (though she'll still get episodes, just not as key), and the next is probably the Pillars arc.

Last edited:
Also with respect to the G5 series concept changes:
To be honest I'm not sure why they're going with the same Mane Six but with substantive alterations to species and personality, or an outright total character overhaul for Applejack. While its true that its happened before, G1 only had Applejack and Twilight, while G3 had Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack. More importantly G1 and G3 happened decades apart, while G3 and G4 were targeted to completely different audiences. By comparison G5 is reportedly aiming to continue G4's advantage with older audiences, as well as the audience that was in fact little kids for G4 but are 'older audiences' now. Having it be "the same Mane Six characters, but radically altered" seems like the kind of compromise between nostalgia and change that will end up just pissing off fans.
Of course I'm sure that in a decade we'll all be whining about how terrible G6 is for changing things from G5.

Also with respect to the G5 series concept changes:
To be honest I'm not sure why they're going with the same Mane Six but with substantive alterations to species and personality, or an outright total character overhaul for Applejack. While its true that its happened before, G1 only had Applejack and Twilight, while G3 had Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack. More importantly G1 and G3 happened decades apart, while G3 and G4 were targeted to completely different audiences. By comparison G5 is reportedly aiming to continue G4's advantage with older audiences, as well as the audience that was in fact little kids for G4 but are 'older audiences' now. Having it be "the same Mane Six characters, but radically altered" seems like the kind of compromise between nostalgia and change that will end up just pissing off fans.
Of course I'm sure that in a decade we'll all be whining about how terrible G6 is for changing things from G5.

I think they're now looking at it ala Transformers, where the names Optimus and Starscream and Bumblebee are too big to not use, even if Optimus can be a rookie captain in one, a veteran leader in another, and Bumblebee can go from talkative rookie to unable to speak to a commander.

I think they're now looking at it ala Transformers, where the names Optimus and Starscream and Bumblebee are too big to not use, even if Optimus can be a rookie captain in one, a veteran leader in another, and Bumblebee can go from talkative rookie to unable to speak to a commander.
Meh, if there's one thing I think Transformers needs to get away from and MLP should avoid copying it's endlessly reusing names.

Franchises like Gundam and Precure manage to do AUs without having to use the exact name, even if the concepts are often repeated.

Meh, if there's one thing I think Transformers needs to get away from and MLP should avoid copying it's endlessly reusing names.

Franchises like Gundam and Precure manage to do AUs without having to use the exact name, even if the concepts are often repeated.
I'm alright with it. New takes on old characters, and copyright efficiency all in one.

Back