Red Soul: Back to the Future

ImmortalsBlade said:
We have her soul, we looked at it. We know it's the same type of soul. The only one we don't know if it will work on is Quelaan because she's a firekeeper.
We don't know Quelaan's a firekeeper, or that firekeepers have special souls. This will let us find out, hopefully.

1234q1234q said:
I have been playing through dark souls lately. Unless there is a lot of developer commentary, I am not seeing ImmortalsBlade's rants as true. I have even listened to the dialog of the other serpent. I have been paying attention and guess what? Gwyndolin's job is to go after sinners. He is NOT just the dick that ImmortalsBlade imagines.
I'm not commenting on IB's reading of the character, but the whole charade with the "chosen Undead" nonsense is implied to by Gwyndolin's, or at the very least he's a key component of it, seeing as it's his illusion of his sister that gives you the Lordvessel and all.

Him going after sinners (Velka seems to be the "judge and jury" while the Darkmoon Blades are the "executioner," and I also think that the remains of the Lord's Blades were absorbed into them after Ciaran resigned to stand vigil over Artorias' grave) is a part of his character too, but it's only one part of it- like a lot of people in Dark Souls, Gwyndolin is surprisingly well-developed despite the minimalist storytelling and dialogue.

[X] "You should go visit her. She'll probably just be happy that you're alive and well. Also, there is something important that I have to tell you. Figure it's something you should know."
- [X] Tell her about your friendship with Oktavia, and the promise you made to her about Quelaag.
- [X] Mention your ability to revive the dead who possessed a special soul, and that Ornstein gave you Quelaag's. You're going back to Anor Londo to talk with Oktavia about this, and how to best handle this entire situation. You're not going to leave things the way are now.
- [X] If Quelana could be there for Quelaan down here while you're figuring out how to tackle this, or if she has any suggestions to make, that'd be great. You'd prefer this conversation to remain a secret, though - particularly when it comes to your ability.

[X] "You should go visit her. She'll probably just be happy that you're alive and well. Also, there is something important that I have to tell you. Figure it's something you should know."
- [X] Tell her about your friendship with Oktavia, and the promise you made to her about Quelaag.
- [X] Mention your ability to revive the dead who possessed a special soul, and that Ornstein gave you Quelaag's. You're going back to Anor Londo to talk with Oktavia about this, and how to best handle this entire situation. You're not going to leave things the way are now.
- [X] If Quelana could be there for Quelaan down here while you're figuring out how to tackle this, or if she has any suggestions to make, that'd be great. You'd prefer this conversation to remain a secret, though - particularly when it comes to your ability.

So I looked at the Red Soul Index and I noticed all the removed links and prosaic or spoilery section titles and decided to update / redo the index because they seriously bothered me. Expect Index updates everytime I finish a section in the future.

Undead Asylum, It Begins [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]
Undead Asylum, Meeting Oscar [9] [10]
Firelink Shrine, Explanations and Scouting [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18]
Firelink Shrine, Octavia and Travel Plans [19] [20]
Undead Parish, Getting your Feet Wet and Shopping [21] [22] [23] [24] [25]
Undead Parish, Arrogance and The Black Knight [26] [27] [28] [29] [30]
Undead Parish, Taurus Demon [31]
Undead Parish, Solaire [32] [33] [34] [35] [36]
Church of the Firstborn, Wishes, Shopping and Equipment Upgrades [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42]
Church of the Firstborn, Prelude to the First Bell [43]
Church of the Firstborn, Bell Gargoyles and The First Bell [44] [45] [46]
Church of the Firstborn, Shopping and Lautrec[47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52]
Church of the Firstborn, Awesome New Hat [53] [54] [55]
Firelink Shrine, A Worshiper of Octavia and a Precious Gift [56] [57]
Anor Londo, A Reunion [58] [59] [60] [61] [62]
Undead Parish, Deepwater and The Dragonslayer [63] [64]
Lower Burg, Capra Demon BAD END 1 [65] [66]
Lower Burg, Capra Demon and a Bad Feeling [67] [68]
The Depths, Laurentius and the First of Many Reminders [69] [70] [71] [72]
Firelink Shrine, Don't Waste Food. Or I'll Kill You [73] [74] [75] [76]
Church of the Firstborn, 40% Red Hair, 100% Daddy Issues [77] [78]
Anor Londo, Girl Talk [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86]
Church of the Firstborn, Reconciliations with Oscar and a Surprise Half-Dragon. [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92]
Church of the Firstborn, The Crest of Artorias [93]
Darkroot Wood, Meeting Alvina and Sif [94] [95] [96] [97]
Darkroot Basin, Off to Kill a Hydra [98] [99] [100] [101] [102]
Darkroot Basin, Dusk, Manus and Alvina [103] [104] [105] [106]
Sanctuary Garden, Manticore Fight [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [113]
Oolacile Sanctuary, Exposition from Elizabeth [114] [115] [116] [117] [118] [119]
Royal Wood, Journey and Arrival at the Coliseum [120] [121] [122] [123]
The Coliseum, Marvelous Chester and...Science! BAD END 2 [124] [124] [125]
The Coliseum, Marvelous Chester and...Artorias [126] [127]
The Coliseum, Artorias Fight BAD END 3 [128] [129] [130] [131] [132]
The Coliseum, Artorias Fight Redux [133] [134] [135] [136] [137] [138]
The Coliseum, An Oath to Ciaran, the Lords Blade and a Scream [139] [140] [141] [142] [143]
Ruins of Oolacile, Reintroducing Catrin and Shopping [144] [145] [146] [147]
Ruins of Oolacile, Exploring, Looting, and an Invasion [148] [149] [150] [151] [152] [153] [154] [155] [156]
The Coliseum, An Angry Hornet and a Different Perspective [157] [158] [159]
Ruins of Oolacile, Sif, Alvina and a Compromise [160] [161] [162] [163]
Ruins of Oolacile, Journey to the Abyss and Impressing Sif [164] [165] [166]
The Abyss, Manus Fight BAD END 4 [167]
The Abyss, Manus Fight. Join Your Voice With Mine [168] [169] [170] [171] [172] [173] [174]
The Abyss, Manus Fight, ROSSO FANTASM [175] [176] [177]
The Abyss, Monsters Can't Cry [178] [179] [180]
Ruins of Oolacile, First Aid and Loose Lips [181] [182] [183] [184] [185]
The Coliseum, Ciarin's Reaction and Loose Ends [186] [187] [188] [189] [190]
The Coliseum, Timey-Wimey Alvina [191] [192] [193] [194]
The Coliseum, Comfort for the Comfort God [195] [196] [197] [198] [199]
Ruins of Ooclie, Hawkeye Gough [200] [201] [202] [203]
Royal Forest, Dragonslaying and Fangirling [204] [205] [206] [207]
Royal Forest, Exposition and a Spar With Ornstein [208] [209] [210] [211]
Royal Forest, LEEEROY JEEEENKINS! BAD END 5 [212]
Royal Forest, Kalameet Fight. The Birth of a Legend [213] [214] [215] [216] [217]
Royal Forest, Catching up [218] [219] [220] [221]
Ruins of Oocalie, Kyo-plomicay at its Finest [222] [223] [224]
Under Ash Lake, Beneath the World [225] [226] [227] [228] [229]
???, Back to the Future! ...Or not. [230]
???, Meeting Madoka-Kami and the Lady of Red Water [231] [232] [233] [234]
Darkroot Wood, Trolls and Wolf Gods [235] [236] [237]
Darkroot Wood, The Wolf and The Hornet [238] [239] [240] [241]
Darkroot Wood, Catching up with Oscar [242] [243]
Darkroot Wood, Exploring the Forest [244] [245] [246] [247]
Church of the Firstborn, Reuiniting with Andre and Pterus Calls for Aid [248] [249] [250]
Church of the Firstborn, Into the Catacombs [251] [252] [253]
The Catacombs, Pinwheel and the Trauma Train [254] [255] [256] [257] [258]
The Catacombs, Meeting Patches and the Search Continues [259] [260] [261] [262]
The Catacombs, Finding Rhea and the Aftermath [263] [264] [265] [266] [267] [268]
Church of the Firstborn, Religious Conflict and a Safe Place [269] [270]
Darkroot Wood, A Task From Alvina - Pest Control [271] [272] [273] [274] [275]
Darkroot Wood, A Tranquil Walk of Peace [276] [277] [278] [279] [280]
Darkroot Wood, Anticlimactic Butterfly Fight [281] [282] [283] [284]
Valley of the Drakes, A Non-Awkward Elevator Ride [285] [286] [287] [288]
Blighttown Swamps, You Can (Not) Advance [289] [290] [291]
Quelaag's Domain, An Old Friend and a Delayed Trial [292] [293] [294] [295] [296] [297] [298]
Quelaag's Domain, Of Flames and Friends [299] [300] [301] [302] [303] [304]
Quelaag's Domain, The Fair Lady [305] [306] [307] [308]
Blighttown, Return to Oscar [309] [310] [311]
???, Dreams of Happier Times [312] [313] [314] [315] [316] [317] [318]
Blighttown, An Unplesant Reality [319] [320] [321] [322]

... did you have to really put that (not) there I mean seriously did you want me to have redo flashbacks did you want to rub salt on my wounds and make me remember the utter help that was watching kaworu lose his head and therefore make me relive every tragedy of pmmm due to Mami also become headless and holy shit why

Why

Lilithium said:

... did you have to really put that (not) there I mean seriously did you want me to have redo flashbacks did you want to rub salt on my wounds and make me remember the utter help that was watching kaworu lose his head and therefore make me relive every tragedy of pmmm due to Mami also become headless and holy shit why

Why
That reminds me, I should update Crossbreed Quest...

You look at her for a moment. You just told her that one of her sisters are alive, and she's just...sitting there.

"You should probably go visit her," you say. "She'll probably just be happy that, y'know, yer alive and well and have your original legs. Speakin' of that, there's something I should tell you-"

She stands like a cloud of ash caught in a thermal. "Glad I'm alive and well? I've spent a thousand years in this swamp, teaching humans from the time they stopping wetting themselves until they began again, all while my sister suffered in a spider's nest. No. Why would she want to see me, the coward, craven one? I'm not worthy of her, even in her state. Especially because of it."

[???]

No. We can still do this.

They both deserve to see each other. For countless reasons.

Adyen said:
Ehhh. It feels like we missed the chance to convince her to see them...

Cause Kyoplomacy.
Long votes tend to get interrupted because people don't generally just sit there and get speechified, especially about emotionally charged topics.

Quelana, as you may have guessed, has MAJOR survivor's guilt and self-worth issues if you talk to her long enough in the game to get past the "I'm The Pyromancer lol you humans are kinda pathetic" dialogue.

I really, really hate trying to navigate through social write-ins. Even so, I can give it a shot.

[x] "You're all she has left. And you're sisters, do you really think she'll care about how worthy you are? She'll be happy to have you there."

If it's self-loathing, then:
[JK] Slap the silly bitch.

But seriously, if the only options are leaving her in the swamp to try and kill herself versus sending her off to her sister, I'd definitely try and push the latter.

[X] If you don't, she may die alone and that will be ALL YOUR FAULT.
-[X] if asked why Kyoko won't be there. Then say: that not going to Anor Londo will bring sparky back.

[x] Are we talking about the same Quelaan? Because the one I met would just be too happy to see one of her sisters again after all that time, and she wouldn't blame you at all.

ImmortalsBlade said:
We can get her to come with us since we do need her word to help get Oktavia down into Blighttown without too many questions being asked. The last uncorrupted daughter of the witch of chaos asking for Blighttown to be saved by the Goddess capable of purifying it's waters is probably a lot more likely to work in convincing everyone else and not raising too many suspecians than Oktavia leaving after Kyoko shows up.

That and ensuring her sister can see again/ helping bring her other sister back to life would be a redemption in her eyes as well that I'm sure Oktavia is much better at convincing Quelana to see her sister.
ImmortalsBlade said:
Seriously people? Just tell her that we can bring Quelaag back and potentially heal Quelaan and we need her help. We aren't going to get rid of her self-loathing just by talking to her but getting her to help save them may mitigate it and get her to at least consider facing Quelaan. Yelling at her is just going to make the situation worse especially since we do have a way for her to make up for the hundreds of years she was away.

Honestly are we really going to go about this in the absolutely stupidest way possible?
This, here, seems the best way to me. We should listen to this.

Seriously, yelling in her face to suck it up or trying to appeal that she go down there by directing her guilt is a stupid idea. Because to pull that off we'd need to have mad social skills. We don't. Hell, it almost certainly wouldn't work even if Kyoko was better at this whole social interaction thing. She isn't. We have to remember this. I din't know why we seem to keep forgetting it. We're really bad at fancy speeches and emotional manipulation! If the situation were drastically in our favor, it might be different. Right here, it's not. All that's going to happen is Quelana is going to wallow in self loathing, ignore what we say and quite possibly kill herself.

So I'm voting we follow ImmortalsBlade's plan.

[X] Now would be a good time to mention you can resurrect those with special souls and that you have Quelaags.
-[X] Explain that you'll be heading to Oktavia to find out what's the best way to go about this as well as to see if she can heal Quelaan.
[X] Tell her that even with Oktavia you doubt you'll be able to pull this off without her help.

dan-heron said:
remember that Kyouko trying to go point by point has already failed. Several times throughout the story -hey Gough!-. Quelaana already showed that she will snap at anything Kyouko tries to tell her and will "logic" it into more survivor guilt

Thag already said that people won't sit quietly and nicely while you go through your list of why this is a good idea
This is a good point. But I still don't think we should rely purely on an emotional appeal. We're just not good at it, overall. Well, we're just not good at the finer points of social interaction period. If there was some way to use an emotional appeal to get her to be quiet, and then quickly explain why she should listen to us, that would be great. Bugger all if I know how to phrase it, though.
Adyen said:
The only problem I can see with dangling the rez is... she's going to tell us to DO IT NOW.

Do we want to do it now? I'm not sure we do. It would be like we're betraying both Ornstein and Alvina
This... could also be an issue. She could quite possibly ask us to do this, and I'm pretty sure we're waiting till we have Oktavia backing us up and helping us go about this in a way that hopefully doesn't blow up in our face.

...going back through the index, I now realize that I want to retcon that little section with Seath as it-and the entire subplot i was planning with that-makes no bloody sense even if it didn't result in a giant plothole/contradiction of established backstory.

1234q1234q said:
If you retcon it, does this mean that she can now use sorceries? If so, are you just not having Elisabeth offer them in the retcon? Otherwise there will be a lot of trickle down changes to make.
Just the meeting beneath Ash Lake would be axed.

Back