Reach Heaven Via Feng Shui Engineering, Drug Trade And Tax Evasion

It's really funny that a mundane lightning rod is able to absorb tribulation lightning. (At least somewhat, anyway.) The Heavens are no match for physics and engineering!

I wonder what other people would think after seeing Shanyi revel in her hatred for the Heavens. If, perhaps, to some of these people she might come off as a little unhinged.
It flashed through the air, and shattered the lightning.
I feel like, despite sounding cool, this gets too much in the way of clarity. What is it supposed to describe, exactly?

"Why shouldn't I smile, Yonghao?" She laughed. "I have a plan!"

"That just makes me even more concerned."

"What?" She squinted at him. "I make great plans."
Shanyi's right. her plans have great potential payout and great potential risk. Yonghao just wishes she'd optimize her plans for literally any other factor. Ideally "great safety". And it's not like she's that good at avoiding the risks.
"Name one time my plan was bound to fail right from the start."

"Remember how you almost killed both of us by experimenting with the chiclotron?"

"Fine, name two times."

He opened his mouth to respond, and she waved him off. "No matter," she said, "let's talk about the tribulation instead."

"Shanyi, you'll get qi deviation from taking this many pills at once," he said, glancing up at her, "even I know that much."

"I'd only get it after two weeks." She rolled her eyes. "I've done the math on the interactions, Yonghao. I won't call nine days of this safe, but as long as it kills me slower than the tribulation, that's all that matters."
See, this is the kind of thing that makes Yonghao worry. It's like Icarus flying close to the sun based on a calculation that he'll get past the hot part before his wings completely fall apart.
She was many months away from even beginning to probe at that level of mastery - for now, she couldn't even get the basic techniques to work without wrecking havoc on her vocal cords after half a dozen tries.
Also, this wouldn't be as much of a problem if dextromethorphan and benzocaine didn't have bad interactions with part of the pill cocktail.

Not a single minute wasted, always balancing just on the edge of what she could take without breaking entirely.

In other words, exhilarating.

Though really, she was well past balancing on the edge - it was more that she had jumped off, and was simply counting on a bungee cord pulling her back to the cliff face before she fell to her death.
This is Shanyi's life philosophy in a nutshell. Well, minus the bits about self-determination and defying Heaven.

She ran into a problem quite quickly. Whatever language the book used, it clearly did not rely on characters to convey meaning - over the first few pages, she only counted forty seven distinct shapes, and a few of those looked like merely larger copies of the other ones.
Oh no, it's an alphabet. Just learning what each character means isn't enough; each character encodes a sound, meaning that the translator needs to know how to speak the language being translated.
Such an inefficient system, suited only for insular xenophobes and uncivilized hicks.

"Why were you late?" she asked.
"Jian Shizhe found me, wanted a duel," Wang Yonghao said with a purse of his lips.
That couldn't possibly be a coincidence.
It probably isn't, but we can't be certain. Jian Shizhe has habitually acted like a tool, regardless of whether anyone around wanted to use him.

"I defy you, Heavens!" She shouted, turning her face back to the skies, and tore the vow into pieces within her mind, the pressure on her vanishing instantly. It was mere moments away from doing that on its own, but she'd be damned if she let the Heavens make the final decision. "I spit in your faces, I break your laws, I shatter your chains, and I swear on my life, I will climb up into the skies and tear out your throats until I will drink my fill of your blood!"
"Oh, that's why she's getting Tribulated."
"I think the vow she mentioned has something to do with it, too."
"I think the Heavens would care more about disrespect than disobedience."
"You also think 'tribulated' is a word."
"You thought you could dictate how he lives, torture him with luck? Unacceptable! Unjustifiable! Even though the lazy fuck won't raise a single finger to save himself, I will still fight against you!"
"I admit, you might have a point. It's like this cultivator is trying to earn a lifetime's worth of Tribulations in one afternoon."
"She probably wants to get all of them out of the way at once."
"...you know it doesn't work like that, right?"

I feel like, despite sounding cool, this gets too much in the way of clarity. What is it supposed to describe, exactly?
I think Shanyi hit the lightning bolt with a sword and broke it. (The lightning bolt, not the sword, probably.)

That was an amazing chapter.

Believe it or not, the chapter was ready yesterday, but my laptop ran out of charge literally a minute before I was ready to post, and because I am traveling in Switzerland with their special snowflake electrical sockets, I couldn't charge it until today. A clear interference by the Heavens, I say.
How cunning of the heavens, for once causing a tribulation through a lack of lightning.

Sure, but what does it mean to "break" a lightning bolt? It's an actual physical phenomenon lightning, not a thrown projectile a la ancient Greek mythology.
Well you see, in fantasy sometimes lightning bolts are projectiles. Nothing about this tribulation follows the normal laws of electromagnetism; why shouldn't a magic sword be able to scatter the electrical currents and superheated air like shards of glass?

Nothing about this tribulation follows the normal laws of electromagnetism
Except it explicitly does. There is a charge buildup, the lightning short-circuits through the lightning rod instead of the protagonist. If nothing followed physical laws, as you say, the Heavens would have struck Shanyi with lightning no matter her environment or, indeed, dealt out the authorized amount of punishment in any other way, e.g. by directly hitting her kinetically with its full force.

Except it explicitly does. There is a charge buildup, the lightning short-circuits through the lightning rod instead of the protagonist. If nothing followed physical laws, as you say, the Heavens would have struck Shanyi with lightning no matter her environment or, indeed, dealt out the authorized amount of punishment in any other way, e.g. by directly hitting her kinetically with its full force.
Okay, granted, but the third bolt explicitly ignores the lightning rod, and it's not like the lightning came from extreme electric charges in the clouds. If you're willing to accept lightning bolts that can come out of nowhere, ignore lightning rods, and can be aimed at specific people, why not ones that can be smashed by swords? Especially swords that are (a bit) magic?

Okay, granted, but the third bolt explicitly ignores the lightning rod, and it's not like the lightning came from extreme electric charges in the clouds. If you're willing to accept lightning bolts that can come out of nowhere, ignore lightning rods, and can be aimed at specific people, why not ones that can be smashed by swords? Especially swords that are (a bit) magic?
Because that's not how the story presents itself. It doesn't handwave things with an arbitrary "it's magic". There are rules. The third strike is described to be similar to the first two. Shanyi bases her judgement on the electric charge she can feel. There are more plausible explanations than "magic" as to why the third strike wasn't diverted. And yes, I'm willing to accept that clouds don't have monopoly on lightning, that lightning may occur between two opposite electric charges regardless their origin.
But this is all academic. My initial concern was that there is an immersion-breaking lapse in the manner the story is told. You don't seem to base your explanations on anything authoritative. I'll have to wait and see what the author says.

Last edited:
But this is all academic. My initial concern was that there is an immersion-breaking lapse in the manner the story is told. You don't seem to base your explanations on anything authoritative.
Well you see, the author hasn't actually said anything about how the Heavens work except "they gather energy from mortals and unleash it as tribulations". Almost as though the exact mechanics of the Heavens are spoilery or irrelevant to the story.

Your criticisms aren't based on anything more authoritative than my responses, just the vague sense that a supernatural martial artist countering divine lightning (which is actively ignoring what few laws of physics the prior bolts followed) should follow the laws of physics better than it does.

Why is this the point that your suspension of disbelief snaps, when it apparently endured world fragments and walking around the edge of the sky and giant snakes that jump like springs? Because the first two bolts were deflected by a lightning-rod-like device?

Your criticisms aren't based on anything more authoritative than my responses, just the vague sense that a supernatural martial artist countering divine lightning (which is actively ignoring what few laws of physics the prior bolts followed) should follow the laws of physics better than it does.
My so-called "criticisms" are that it's not clear what exactly happened there. I have no problem with the subject described and never said that I do. Only with the way it was described. So stop putting words into my mouth.

Oh no, it's an alphabet. Just learning what each character means isn't enough; each character encodes a sound, meaning that the translator needs to know how to speak the language being translated.
Figuring out that the groups are words might let you get around that to some extent. Figuring out the relationship between uppercase and lowercase letters is trickier, but doable. The fact that it's not a simple substitution cipher for her native language will probably hurt more, since the grammar may be completely different.

My so-called "criticisms" are that it's not clear what exactly happened there. I have no problem with the subject described and never said that I do. Only with the way it was described. So stop putting words into my mouth.
You started with "What is that set of words supposed to describe?" When I explained how I interpreted it, you replied by questioning how that was possible, and our conversation has been drifting farther in that direction—away from "What does that mean?" to "Lightning doesn't work that way".
Sorry for responding to the arguments you wrote and not the thoughts in your head. I guess.

Figuring out that the groups are words might let you get around that to some extent. Figuring out the relationship between uppercase and lowercase letters is trickier, but doable. The fact that it's not a simple substitution cipher for her native language will probably hurt more, since the grammar may be completely different.
I guess the first question is whether there are spaces between words (as is common today), or not (as was annoyingly common in ancient times). If not, figuring out where one word begins and another ends will be nearly impossible. But if so...maybe it's just the fact that I grew up in a culture with alphabets, but I'd think spaces would make the nature of alphabetic languages pretty clear once Shanyi realized there were only a few dozen characters.

You started with "What is that set of words supposed to describe?" When I explained how I interpreted it, you replied by questioning how that was possible, and our conversation has been drifting farther in that direction—away from "What does that mean?" to "Lightning doesn't work that way".
Sorry for responding to the arguments you wrote and not the thoughts in your head. I guess.
You described nothing. You gave me a non-answer, merely a rephrasing of the sentence in question. If you thought it explained anything, you should have put more effort into expressing it. And then, when I asked for clarification, you went on with your "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" sophistry. Honestly, I was surprised to hear this from you of all people, when earlier you were waxing poetic about how Reach Heaven adheres to your definition of a rational fic.

You described nothing. You gave me a non-answer, merely a rephrasing of the sentence in question. If you thought it explained anything, you should have put more effort into expressing it. And then, when I asked for clarification, you went on with your "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit" sophistry. Honestly, I was surprised to hear this from you of all people, when earlier you were waxing poetic about how Reach Heaven adheres to your definition of a rational fic.
Hoo boy.

So, to start with, when you said:
I assumed you meant "This sounds cool but I can't visualize what it looks like". So I provided a more detailed description of what I imagined that looked like. Then you said "Well lightning doesn't shatter," and it seemed like you were complaining that the divine lightning doesn't act like normal lightning, so I kept pointing out why I found that silly. Because...yeah, it is magic. There's a lot of shit that doesn't need to be explained.

Which brings me to the "rational fic" comment, which makes me think you just don't know what rational fic is. The trope codifier is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and it doesn't explain shit either! It pins down what magic does with more specificity than the source material ever does, but it doesn't explain how it works. Partial transfiguration is impossible* and transfiguration is temporary, so don't transfigure anything into food or fluid. But how does a witch turn into a cat? Magic.

The same is true of other stories I'd classify as rational fic, like Ender's Game, Worm, and Mother of Learning. They don't try to pretend that bug-people with FTL telepathy, multiversal god-viruses, or magical time loops follow the laws of physics as we know them; they just define the limits of those unrealistic phenomena more rigorously than other sci-fi/superhero/fantasy stories. Some shit has gotta be explained, but a lot of it is just magic.

An explanation of how Shanyi shattered a lightning bolt could be neat. Is heavenly lightning basically just a big qi attack, which can be countered like any other? Or is it a physical projectile, like how the sky is a physical dome? Or did Shanyi develop some anti-electricity technique? But it probably isn't necessary, since the lightning isn't even a terribly important part of the Tribulation. It's just the part that happens first.

Believe it or not, the chapter was ready yesterday, but my laptop ran out of charge literally a minute before I was ready to post, and because I am traveling in Switzerland with their special snowflake electrical sockets, I couldn't charge it until today. A clear interference by the Heavens, I say.
It also happens to me all too often: I have family living near Switzerland, and almost every hecking time I either forget to pack the type-C / Europlug adapter, or I remembered but couldn't find it, so I don't get power while travelling though there. 🙄

Thanks a lot for the cool chapter though, it is great.

PS: Oops, closed the wrong tab while editing-in more replies, so you only get the summary instead:
- One of my fave things about Qian Shanyi is that she knows most people don't feel nearly as strongly about orthodox cultivation philosophy (if they agree at all) and would think her intensity is insane, but she's still unapologetically herself and revelling in the sheer madness of it all.
- @curiosity, @GreatWyrmGold: I think the "lightning shattered with sword" bit could be explained as ball lightning or such:
- didn't hit the lightning rod, plausibly because it was also subject to (non-negligible) momentum ;
- sword cutting through could have disrupted the phenomenon that was (transiently) maintaining it
(there are a few hypothesis on how ball lightning "works," in the research literature, but most seem like an external force rapidly deforming the ball would cause a loss of containment)

Last edited:
Sure, but what does it mean to "break" a lightning bolt? It's an actual physical phenomenon lightning, not a thrown projectile a la ancient Greek mythology.

A regular real life lightning bolt can be broken perfectly well. It requires a channel of ionized air to conduct the current, the channel which is not created instantly (speed of a charge leader is somewhere around 200-1000 kilometers per second, I think). If you were to disperse the ionized air in the channel (i.e. break it) before it fully formed down to the ground, no lightning would occur.

But this is all besides the point, because tribulation lightning isn't throwing around a whole gigajoule of energy like a regular lightning bolt. It is closer to a projectile, behaving more like one (e.g. not following the path of least resistance) the more spiritual energy is put into it.

But this is all besides the point, because tribulation lightning isn't throwing around a whole gigajoule of energy like a regular lightning bolt. It is closer to a projectile, behaving more like one (e.g. not following the path of least resistance) the more spiritual energy is put into it.
Yuh, the projectile-like behaviour is what made me lean towards ball lightning as a plausible explanation.

Thanks a lot for clarifying 💜

A regular real life lightning bolt can be broken perfectly well. It requires a channel of ionized air to conduct the current, the channel which is not created instantly (speed of a charge leader is somewhere around 200-1000 kilometers per second, I think). If you were to disperse the ionized air in the channel (i.e. break it) before it fully formed down to the ground, no lightning would occur.

Even you are ignoring the point... It's not clear what it looked like, not the underlying processes involved or whatever.

Even you are ignoring the point... It's not clear what it looked like, not the underlying processes involved or whatever.
The last guy who said to you "I already told you what I think it looked like" got told "never mind, I'm talking to a wall, goodbye."

Is your actual point "what does this look like," or is it "move the goalposts to justify disdainful condemnation of anyone else who's talking about this subject?"

Back