Reach Heaven Via Feng Shui Engineering, Drug Trade And Tax Evasion

Chapter 39: Bleed And Scream On Fields Of Glass
As she walked through the town, she popped a spirit stone into her mouth, and started to draw spiritual energy out of it and into her meridians, enjoying the soft, crackling feeling on her tongue as it began to fracture and dissolve. She was almost completely dry after the snake jump, and would need at least five spirit stones to fully refill her dantians - a full half of what she had left - but she couldn't risk waiting on her natural regeneration, even though there was a fair amount of spiritual energy up in the air. If Wang Yonghao was in town, then she could run into him at any point by sheer coincidence, and facing all the heavenly bullshit that followed him at anything less than her best was outright suicidal.

Her divination bottle directed her all the way through the town, up towards the ridge above the valley that separated Reflection Ridge from its sister town of Glaze Ridge. The buildings ended some distance away, and her tired legs screamed at her with every step as she pushed herself to keep going, over glittering, sandy earth, until she reached the sharp edge where the ground dropped down into the valley proper.

The sight beyond the ridge took her breath away.

The valley was quite narrow, the maps marking it as just an empty stretch of rock, but the maps couldn't possibly tell the whole story. In the light of the setting sun, the whole valley shone like a strip of flame, iridescent colors shifting across the landscape, scarlets and golds mixing with emeralds and purples. There was no vegetation, no buildings, nothing but softly rolling hills and a riot of colors like she had never seen before, as if the rainbows from the sky were sealed up into the ground itself.

She spent a good ten minutes simply taking it all in, before a cloud covered up the closest sun and snapped her out of it.

The source of the shine cracked under her feet, and once she shook herself free, she crouched down to take a closer look. It was glass, permeated by spiritual energy and growing freely on the ground all across the valley, covering it like moss. What she had at first mistaken for sand were merely small, crystal-clear grains, polished to a shine by erosion.

She reached down, and broke off a shard, wincing when she saw a drop of blood well up on her finger - so sharp she barely even felt it. The ridge below her was absolutely covered in it, and from a distance, no doubt looked exactly like an enormous mirror.

Normally, spiritual energy behaved somewhat like a gas, spreading out across an environment; here, though, it rolled heavy across the ground, collecting down in the valley itself. She could feel it growing denser further down the ridge - metal, her own type, and a fair amount of it. A minor subtype then - and the true cause behind the glass.

She breathed in deeply, cycling it through her meridians and absorbing what she could. Its concentration could not compare to a spirit vein, of course, let alone Wang Yonghao's inner world - but to her, who grew up in Golden Rabbit Bay, sucked completely dry by those who lived here, where cultivators had to rely on spirit stones for even a sip of spiritual energy, this felt almost like seeing expensive wine simply spilled all over the floor.

Speaking of Wang Yonghao.

Walking alongside the ridge, she quickly checked where her target was. Her luck had gotten worse still - at a guess, she had perhaps another day or two before the heavens cut her off. At least, this close to him, she didn't need a dioptra - she could easily tell the difference between the directions, estimated from two points a hundred meters from each other. He was clearly in Glaze Ridge: the town she could see just across the field of glass, the valley dipping down between them before coming back up. She would have to find a way to get across.

Soon, she found a way down: a narrow path that snaked alongside the cliff's face, down into the valley below. She stopped in front of it, thinking it over.

At first glance, the danger of crossing over did not seem overly high - even if the glass could cut her skin, her sandals would stand up to it just fine. Of course, she might slip and fall - but as a cultivator, she could keep her balance even if the ground broke below her feet, and in the worst case, could simply activate her spiritual shield. Having to protect her entire body from the cuts would certainly be a drain on her reserves, but it could save her from disastrous injury until she could get back up.

No, it was the spiritual energy that concerned her - if it made glass grow all over the valley, she couldn't know for sure what effect it would have on her body if she simply walked into the dense clouds of it.

And of course, where there was free spiritual energy, there would be demon beasts. She did not want to encounter whatever made its home among the shards of glass, sharp enough a person could not take a step without cutting themselves open.

Her stomach rumbled, and she shook her head. After the hours-long dash on top of Curls she was starving, and dehydrated to boot. The first step was finding a good meal.

This valley would not be going anywhere.

She found a tavern, and ordered herself a dish of stir-fried rice and tea, and proceeded to shovel it into her mouth so quickly she had barely even registered the taste. The hot tea forced her to slow down, and she spent some time planning her approach to the valley while she waited for it to cool.

The sun in the sky was setting soon: with the time she spent on her meal, even if she set out right now, she was sure that it would be dark before she completely crossed over. She could light her way with the Crushing Glance of the Netherworld Eyes, but with how open the valley was, she would stand out for miles around. Even if there were no demon beasts here that hunted by sight - for surely the local cultivators would have cleared them out - she would prefer not to announce her arrival in Glaze Ridge more than was absolutely necessary.

Besides that, there was Wang Yonghao to worry about. There was a good chance he had already gotten himself involved in some local problem, and she didn't want to walk into it blind.

On the other hand, the man had probably the most experience avoiding trouble of anyone in the entire world - he was involved in hundreds of bizarre coincidences and heaven-defying incidents, and yet managed to stay completely out of the public eye. No doubt, some of it had to be his own luck, or direct heavenly influence - but now that she had a bit of experience at doing the very same thing, she could appreciate the skills involved, even if Yonghao himself might not think of them as anything special.

But first, she had to cross the valley, and that meant she needed information. She finished her meal off with a healing pill - while it was bad to overindulge, it would help her muscles recover faster - and headed off to the local post office.

As she walked, a light drizzle had started to fall from the clouds above. She could only hope the rain would not start in full until she crossed: the temperature fell as night approached, and being drenched by ice cold rain would be the height of misery.

The first thing she noticed when she entered the post office was how chilly it was, despite the roaring fireplace against one of the walls. The second was the strange, porcelain mask on the face of the postal worker manning the counter.

It was smooth, covering their entire face, and leaving only thin holes for the eyes, with a black cowl sewed into the edge and hiding the rest of the head. On their hands were thick, woolen gloves, while the sewn symbols on their robes - similarly thick and woolen - marked them out as being an apprentice clerk, not yet a full postmaster.

On their whole body, there wasn't even a single spot of uncovered skin.

This late in the day, there were no other customers in the room, and she approached the counter freely, nodding to the clerk. They nodded back at her, and rose from their seat.

"I am Junming." They bowed to her, slight warbling barely audible in their voice. "How may I help you?"

"Lan Yishan, loose cultivator. I'd like the local cultivator almanac, please," she said, leaning against the counter, "as well as hear any news you may have."

"On the road for a long time?" Junming said, moving towards the side of the room. The cold spot moved together with them.

"Indeed. I've only arrived less than an hour ago."

"Reflection Ridge is a small town." Junming nodded, then paused, and shook their head instead, bringing a stack of papers over to her, tied together with thread. "Not a lot happens here. If you want details about the duels of young master Shizhe, then he hasn't had one in weeks."

She perked her ears at that, and Junming pointed to the stack of papers.

"It's all in the almanac," they warbled, and she nodded, quickly starting to skim through.

The files of Reflection Ridge and Glaze Ridge were shared; taken together, three sects made their home here - Nine Singing Vessels, Northern Scarlet Stream, and Palace of the Glowing Cliffs.

Out of the three, Northern Scarlet Stream grabbed the most of her interest. It was merely a branch of the Flowing Scarlet River sect, yet still the largest of the three sects in this area, and it seemed that its parent sect tended to send a lot of their members here to train. This was, by itself, not too remarkable, but what truly set it apart was the profile of one Jian Shizhe, a nephew and direct disciple of one of the sect Elders.

She came across it about halfway through the stack, and whistled in amazement. Most cultivators ended up fighting a duel at some point in their lives, but the list in front of her eyes was six dozen long, stretching over several additional sheets. Ironically enough, well over three quarters were with members of his own sect, for seemingly petty insults. Most of the duels he fought, he won… Yet some seemed entirely hopeless from the start, opponents far above his skill.

At the top of the file was a portrait - a young man, wearing robes in the ancient style, with a thick leather jacket sewn to resemble a breastplate. His face looked serene, but she couldn't help but imagine a disdainful smirk in the curve of his lips.

A loose cultivator had nothing but honor, and so it was understandable to fight like hell to defend it. What kind of person did it take, to be born into one of the highest positions in a sect and still spring at every insult, sword at the ready?

"A very interesting man, I agree," she said, quickly memorizing as much of the rest of the almanac as she could, "I can't help but notice that the files for the two towns are united - I take it people travel between them a lot?"

"People, no." Junming shrugged. "The road around the valley is too long. Cultivators, yes."

"Hmm. So I could simply walk over to the other town? There are no demon beasts in the valley?"

"There are glass shamblers - but they are slow, and stay away from people," they said. "Can't catch a cultivator. If you want to cross - wait for the day. It's too dark at night."

"I have a light."

"Then, you can cross," Junming said. A moment later, as if remembering this was required, they nodded.

"Spiritual energy will not be a problem?" she asked, trying to make sure. "My lungs won't grow glass on the inside?"

"No, no." they said with a slight warble, shaking their head. "Glass grows slowly. Your soul is solid, yes? Then it's not a problem, as long as you pass through quickly. Many people work in the valley during the day, mining the glass - it is safe."

Qian Shanyi nodded. A cultivator's soul would absorb and convert spiritual energy into the type appropriate to their constitution, erasing its special properties in the process - yet many forms could affect you in the short time before this conversion was complete, or kill you through indirect means. She had to make sure.

"Thank you," she said, handing the cultivator almanac back to Junming, and waited until they grasped the papers securely with their thick woolen gloves, and put it away into a nearby cupboard.

She tapped her cheek, deliberating if she should ask, but her curiosity won out in the end. She couldn't just let this opportunity pass - despite a fair amount of effort, she had never been able to find a book that talked about the topic back in the Golden Rabbit Bay.

"If I may ask, fellow cultivator Junming," she asked slowly, "what is a Shui Gui doing around here? I thought your people preferred much warmer climates."

"I was assigned here two months ago," Junming said. A moment later, they shrugged. "It's warm enough."

"And the clothing -" she motioned to the thick robes, "- it helps?"

Junming made a strange warbling noise, and didn't respond. The silence stretched, before she shook her head. Perhaps this was a cultivation secret, and thus Junming couldn't tell her about it in the first place.

"I am sorry if I have caused offense." she said instead, wanting to correct her misstep, "It was not my intention. It's just that it's my first time meeting one of your people. Did you know you are in the history books?"

"I have studied to be the postmaster," they said, shifting in place. "Of course I have read the books."

She rubbed her eyes. Shanyi, get it together. Shui Gui emotions were hard to read, but she could still tell her words were off the mark.

Shui Gui, or water ghosts, were one of the classic success stories of the reformation, the dispelling of ancient myths and bringing people together. They were said to be the ghosts of people who drowned, lurking in the places of their death, and dragging unsuspecting victims underwater in order to steal their bodies. None of that was true, but the myths persisted, and even a sighting of a Shui Gui would cause a panic - and the calling of spirit hunters - until a determined cultivator joined one of their tribes and wrote down what he saw.

In truth, Shui Gui were not ghosts, but gray-skinned amphibious humanoids that could live both on land and underwater, preferring the latter. Unlike humans, their constitution had an overabundance of water-type spiritual energy, far beyond even cultivators with water nature deliberately seeking to expand their meridians. As a result, their bodies exuded an aura of cold, stronger the more spiritual energy was around them.

Shui Gui did not drown people in malice, except as a retaliation for humans killing Shui Gui. However, the cold water that surrounded their bodies was deceptive: an unprepared person was likely to suffer from cold shock and drown. Even if they survived the first minute, death from hypothermia was soon to follow. Accidents were common, and the superstition embellished the rest. It did not help that most Shui Gui did not speak any human languages, and even trying to learn one was strenuous due to the different shapes of their throats.

But no matter the differences, Shui Gui could cultivate, and faced all the same heavenly tribulations. What could a differently shaped throat or living underwater matter in the face of that most ancient foe? A cultivator was a cultivator, spirit, human or otherwise. After proper contact was established, and especially after the development of Fingerspeak, Shui Gui were the first to join the ranks of about half a dozen species that, nowadays, lived in peace among the humans. Many Heavenly Materials and Earthly Treasures could only be found at the depths of the sea, where Shui Gui could reach and harvest them easily - while the empire, with its much greater resources than any given Shui Gui tribe, helped research cultivation techniques suited for their unique constitutions.

Most treatises about the history of the reformation dedicated an entire chapter to Shui Gui, but tended to shy away from the personal details. How did they live? How did they sleep, if the water would freeze around them over a long night? Even the record that started it all felt distant, seen mostly from the outside - and of course it could only describe a single tribe. Even before Qian Shanyi became a cultivator, she always wanted to meet one of them - a living symbol of the stories she grew up on - yet Shui Gui were rare, and she only ever saw a single one in Golden Rabbit Bay.

But if they didn't want to talk… Her curiosity could take a backseat.

"I really shouldn't have asked," she shook her head, and turned to leave, "A cultivator's privacy is sacrosanct - I once again apologize if I have crossed some lines. Your speech is excellent - I am sure you would make an excellent postmaster."

"Because I am Shui Gui?" They said with an alien tone in their voice, shifting in place once again.

"Hm?" She turned back in confusion.

"You say my speech is excellent," they said, "but it isn't. I know this. So why do you say this? Because I am Shui Gui?"

"I… Suppose?" she said slowly.

"So you don't say my speech is excellent. You say it's excellent for a Shui Gui."

"It is hard for you to learn, is it not?" She frowned. "Due to the different throat shape?"

"My throat is fine," they said, "My grammar is awkward because I study little. I am not used to the words."

"Well, I still think you are making great progress," she smiled, "I doubt most people could even tell, frankly."

"But I am not here because of language." They shifted in place once again, in what she was starting to interpret as a frown, or another sign of annoyance or discomfort. "I will be postmaster. We work with books, not sounds. You say you don't mean offense, but you lie and say my speech is great. You say it's why I will make great postmaster, but that makes no sense. Why?"

"I apologize - "

"Yes yes, you are sorry, I know this. But why say at all?"

She paused, collecting her thoughts. This was a strange question to ask - she barely even thought about what she said, really.

"I didn't want to leave on a bad note," she finally said, "you seemed upset at my question, and I wanted to compliment something about you to make up for it."

"Is my throat only thing you think of?"

"It's not about your throat." She frowned. "It's about the effort you had put into your skill at the language."

"I put effort into many things," they said, bouncing in place slightly. "I cultivate, I know the post. Why always the speech?"

"I could hardly praise your cultivation from a surface glance," she shook her head, "it would be inappropriate, as I know neither your strengths nor what effort or wealth you have put in. Neither could I praise your knowledge of the postal regulations - for we have not discussed them."

"But you can praise my speech?"

"It seemed far easier to judge," she sighed, "I only sought to make you more comfortable."

"Could do many things to make me comfortable," they said, and their fingers moved quickly, forming patterns she dimly recognised. "We could fingerspeak."

"I sadly do not know it. My teachers have always said it was a waste of time," she pursed her lips, letting her disappointment bleed into her voice - though she couldn't guess if Junming would pick up on it. "Without their help, I could never find a good practice partner, nor the time for it. It is of little use in cities, I suppose, unless you are a spirit hunter - no need to keep your distance and talk to a stranger from a hundred meters away, where they could not cut you down in an instant. I thought that we should have followed in the footsteps of the empire, and made all our disciples study it - but my voice mattered little."

Oh what she wouldn't have given to know Sign back when she was stuck in a tree with Yonghao, keeping silent within the deadly forest. She cursed her sect throughout that entire night.

The thoughts of her sect had brought up memories, and she looked back on what she said here with new eyes. She intended her words as a compliment, and perhaps she couldn't have made a better one, knowing little of Junming - but from their perspective, to have all their struggles and achievements reduced down to their speech must have grated. She doubted it was the first time, either. In retrospect, she could empathize easily - how many times had she been complimented on being a jade beauty, instead of on managing to keep up in cultivation with her peers despite all odds?

"I will make sure to learn Fingerspeak now," she said, bowing deeply. "I have intended to do so regardless, but this is yet another reason. I truly should have known better - thank you for showing me my errors."

"Okay," Junming said, slowing down a bit, before starting to hop from one leg to another nervously. "Why ask in the first place? Why make trouble?"

"To cultivate is to rebel against the heavens." She raised an eyebrow. This should have been self-evident. "If I didn't make trouble, I wouldn't be where I am today."

"What do you mean? Cultivators cultivate. You don't make trouble by cultivating, that's what you already should do."

"I meant what I said." she frowned. "My teacher would have rather seen me married off to a young master of one sect or another. Thirty six years ago, I wouldn't have even been allowed to refuse."

"You are a woman?" Junming asked.

"What -", she scoffed, her cheeks flushing slightly in anger, "of course I am!"

"Always hard to tell," they said, "humans get angry when you ask, like you are right now. How do you tell?"

She pinched her nose. What a question to ask. Well, she supposed she did much the same thing, so she couldn't exactly back out now.

"Human women are generally shorter, have breasts and wider hips." she sighed, focusing on what would be visually obvious to a Shui Gui, "Their hair tends to be longer - male cultivators wear theirs to about their waistline, while women tend to let it grow out to their knees."

She ran a hand through her long hair to demonstrate.

"But some don't have any breasts," Junming said, "and you are tall, but you say you are a woman. This doesn't make sense."

"I am tall for a woman," she nodded. She had been from birth, and then deliberately added several centimeters more through cultivation, pulling her bones to grow longer with spiritual energy over many months - one of the many small perks of becoming a cultivator. "Cultivators generally tend to be taller. Nothing is universal, these are merely points you could use to make a better guess."

"Wait," Junming said, and she saw them take out a small brush, an inkwell, and a stack of papers, prepared to take notes. She raised an eyebrow at that.

"I write a book for other Shui Gui," they said, "I am only one of my tribe to work for the post office - only one I know at all. Should help them understand humans. Maybe have less trouble in future."

"Then you should note that some of this is cultural, and will change over time," she said, "I think in the eastern provinces shorter hair tends to be in vogue."

Junming nodded, and she spent some time describing the basics of fashion, for both cultivators and ordinary people. In the back of her head a voice told her she was wasting time, that she had to hurry, the vow wouldn't wait, but she silenced it. If she couldn't even help out a fellow cultivator, then what was the point of this entire journey?

But it wasn't entirely wrong either - she did have to get going, and she said as much after she explained the basics.

"I don't suppose you could answer my previous question?" she said with a smile, preparing to leave.

"I could," they said, "Why? Are you writing a book about Shui Gui?"

"Do I need a reason?"

"You make trouble without reason?" Junming shifted in place again. "Never understand this about humans."

"Is curiosity not enough?"

"Used to be, when Shui Gui made trouble, spirit hunters would come," they said, voice warbling more than before, "two generations back, a quarter of my tribe died when one of us was seen. Not anymore, but wisdom is the same. Curiosity is no good reason for trouble."

"You ask me if I am a woman, and you say curiosity is no good reason for trouble?" She laughed.

"Make a bit of trouble for less trouble later," Junming said, their voice quiet, "It's…okay. But I am a strange Shui Gui. Many others say I am wrong."

"Well, I am a strange cultivator myself." She shook her head, still smiling. "Fine. I grew up on stories of cultivators driving back the demon beasts and serving justice, bringing better lives to millions. This world-changing power of spiritual energy courses through my meridians, strengthening and refining my body, yet it also changes the world around us, does it not?"

She made a wide gesture with her right hand, pointing at the room around them.

"This very building was designed with spiritual energy in mind, made to resist even the might of a heavenly tribulation," she continued, "The days of our week are named after our dantians. Even the robes I wear - "

She flicked a spot where the skin of her shoulders could be seen beneath a loose flap of silk.

"- are cut so that spiritual energy can flow freely in and out of my body, easy to recirculate, to form techniques or a spiritual shield. This simple requirement, in turn, affects the fashion of ordinary people, who seek to imitate us. This had been the case in ancient times as well - before the advancement of stronger spiritual shield techniques, many cultivators wore plates of armor, choosing to sacrifice their spiritual energy recirculation for the sake of protection, and you can see this in their fashion as well. To know the thousands of ways in which spiritual energy has affected the world around us - there are few things that fascinate me more."

"That's all?"

"You asked for a reason," she said, "that's my reason. I would burn my life and soul for it."

It was why she wanted to become a cultivator in the first place, when she was ten - that, and slaughtering evils and serving justice.

"Okay," they said simply, and she saw them lift up their cowl, pulling the mask away and revealing the dark gray skin beneath. As soon as the clothing wasn't in the way, she felt a cloud of freezing air come towards her, and shivered.

Their face could have passed for a human, at least from a distance - but up close, the differences were unmistakable. Besides the unnatural skin color and the frost beginning to form over it, their eyes were larger, and set further away from each other, skin stretched tight over thick fat beneath. Their mouth was too wide, with thin lips, the upper lip overlapping the lower. Where a human would have hair, they had short bristles, and she could see no ears, only folds of skin on the sides of their head.

If she saw them through murky river waters, she could have definitely confused them for a corpse.

"My clothing is so that humans feel warm around me," they said, the warble in their voice clearer without the mask in the way, "it insulates them from the cold, and makes them more comfortable. Same with the mask. It's not just the cold - cultivators are fine, but mortals get a little scared, seeing the face. Seeing humans scared is…bad."

"Thank you," she smiled, "Truly, I wish you success - I would make sure to read your book, once it is published. I will write to you later - I am sure we'd still have a lot to talk about."

Junming nodded, putting their cowl back on, and she headed for the doors. When she pushed them open into the night beyond, wind and cold rain blew in her face, and she stepped back, clicking her tongue. So much for her hopes - with the time she spent here, the rain had already started to fall.

"Wait," she heard Junming warble behind her, and turned around curiously to see them take an umbrella from behind the counter, extending it towards her.

"Humans don't like rain, yes?" they said, "Take my umbrella. Send it back from Glaze Ridge."

"Oh." She blinked. "I wouldn't have expected you to own one."

"No rain since my assignment, but the postmaster said the rain season is coming," they said, "hard to get water out of clothes. Freezes. But, I am staying here until tomorrow - you can take umbrella."

"Thank you for your kindness, once again, fellow cultivator Junming, but it's not necessary." she said, bowing deeply. "I already have a cloak."

She opened her bag, and took out the leather cloak she bought together with Wang Yonghao back in Xiaohongshan. It felt like an eternity ago, but was really only a couple weeks.

"Good luck on your trip," Junming said.

"Good luck to you as well," she bowed, "I hope that the next time I visit, you will already be the postmaster."

She walked out of the postal office, and confidently headed to the edge of town, a light smile playing on her lips from the conversation she had.

Once she reached the ridge, she took the path cut into its side, and descended down onto the fields of glass. The night was pitch black - light of the stars and the moon all but completely blocked by the clouds - and she circulated the Crushing Glance of the Netherworld Eyes to make her hair glow, heading towards the lights of the other town in the distance. The rain should hide her own light, at the very least.

She set her feet down, one after another in a steady rhythm, picking her steps to avoid slipping on the wet glass or stepping in deep puddles that were starting to form all around her. The valley was quite narrow: even moving slowly, she doubted it would take her more than twenty minutes. Yet in the back of her mind, something set her on edge.

Had she forgotten something important? Her eyebrows creased in a frown as she tried to puzzle it out.

And in the clouds above her, the rain kept falling.

The inherent weakness of the Crushing Glance of the Netherworld Eyes revealed itself within minutes of her descending down into the valley: it was a technique for applying makeup, not one made to produce light, and the glowing powder it produced was swiftly washed away by the rain. At first, she simply kept recirculating the technique again and again - the drain of it was low enough, after all - but after a couple minutes, grew annoyed, and stopped to make a better lantern.

She took her knife chest off her back, covered it with her leather coat to keep the rain out, and quickly emptied her healing pill bottle directly into the chest. The chest was waterproof, after all, and should keep the pills reasonably safe.

She filled the pill bottle with the glowing powder, closed it up with the stopper, and quickly tied it to the handle of her sword. The little bottle shined bright, safe from rainwater, and now she could even send her sword flying ahead to check her path.

The rain wasn't letting up as she walked on, and she had to start hopping over small streams here and there, rainwater beginning to overflow the small depressions between the glass. Yet her path was peaceful overall, quiet cracks of glass under her sandals washed away by the rain.

As she came to the foot of a small glass hill, she heard a strange rumbling sound in the distance - different from the swooshing sounds of the rain all around her, and sent out her sword in that direction, pausing to observe. If this was one of those "glass shamblers", then she wanted to know what she was dealing with.

Within the small circle of light from her lantern, she saw a wall of water rushing towards her, easily as high as she was tall.

Her eyes widened, and she dashed up the hill, signing for the sword to return. She made it to the top just in time to see the wall of water pass where she stood mere moments ago, turning a calm stretch of glass into a roaring, burbling river of rainwater. She would have been swept away for sure, if she didn't hear it coming.

She snorted, caught her sword with its sheath, and continued on. If nature wanted to kill her, it would have to try a bit harder.

And yet, her worry only heightened.

The hill was almost entirely flat, and she soon reached the peak, and descended down the other side… only to see another stream of roaring water, far wider than what she could jump across, cutting off her path.

With agonizing slowness, the pieces started to fall into place.

One: the valley she was walking through was covered in glass.

Two: unlike earth, glass could not absorb any rainwater.

Three: water flowed downhill.

Four: this valley was narrow, but long, continuing on in both directions beyond this spot.

The pieces clicked together, and pronounced her sentence. She sent her sword out to fly around the hill, and saw what she already knew would be there: water encircled her on all sides, cutting off any path of retreat.

She was standing in the middle of a flash flood, on a shrinking island of razor sharp glass. If the water swept her away, she would be raked across the bladed ground for many miles and surely torn to shreds when her spiritual shield gave out.

And in the clouds above her, the rain kept falling.

Author Note: Inspired by Glassy Fields, a project I helped edit.
If you'd like to read two chapters ahead (soon three, next one is a chonker), or read other works I write, you can find me on patreon.
I also have a discord server, where you can discuss my fics.
Thanks for reading!​

Besides that, there was Wang Yonghao to worry about. There was a good chance he had already gotten himself involved in some local problem, and she didn't want to walk into it blind.
Meanwhile, Wang Yonghao has been enjoying a surprisingly tranquil life recently, touring the countryside at his leisure, unaware what's coming to make him cultivate like mad.

"People, no." Junming shrugged. "[...] Cultivators, yes."
Interesting dichotomy. Cultivators vs. Mortals is one thing, but Cultivators vs. People?

I also note that Junming's outfit covers every centimeter of his cultivator flesh. Coincidence? Probably, but...if not, I called it.
In truth, Shui Gui were not ghosts, but gray-skinned amphibious humanoids.
Oh. I don't think this counts.

"I apologize - "

"Yes yes, you are sorry, I know this. But why say at all?"

She paused, collecting her thoughts. This was a strange question to ask - she barely even thought about what she said, really.
And I think that's the problem. Throwing the third thing that came to mind on top of the second and first won't solve a problem solved by fundamental thoughtlessness.

She intended her words as a compliment, and perhaps she couldn't have made a better one, knowing little of Junming - but from their perspective, to have all their struggles and achievements reduced down to their speech must have grated. She doubted it was the first time, either. In retrospect, she could empathize easily - how many times had she been complimented on being a jade beauty, instead of on managing to keep up in cultivation with her peers despite all odds?
Well, that's nice.

"You are a woman?" Junming asked.

"What -", she scoffed, her cheeks flushing slightly in anger, "of course I am!"

"Always hard to tell," they said, "humans get angry when you ask, like you are right now."
I like this beat. The bit where the "normal" characters get treated as the weird outsiders in a way they can't just overlook.

"Nothing is universal, these are merely points you could use to make a better guess."
Feng Shui Gender Truths

The Junming conversation feels like a little plot cul-de-sac that'll be easier to form opinions on in a couple dozen chapters, where we see whether any of the character/worldbuilding/thematic stuff it seems to set up pays off. No direct threads left dangling, but it brings up a bunch of ideas that haven't really popped up before.

Meanwhile, Wang Yonghao has been enjoying a surprisingly tranquil life recently, touring the countryside at his leisure, unaware what's coming to make him cultivate like mad.
Realistically, there's about a 60% chance that he was challenged to a duel by young master Shize, a 25% chance that a cheating demon cultivator or something attacked Shize and Wang needs to either protect or fight alongside him, and a 10% chance that Wang challenged Shize to a duel yesterday to get this over with while the weather's decent.

Qian Shanyi - art
An artist friend of mine needed some money for their cat, so I have commissioned art of Qian Shanyi from him. I think it turned out pretty well! They are on discord as Sparrow#3589, if commissioned art is your thing - tell them I sent you!

Chapter 40: Drown In Blood, Shed On Sightless Blades
Author Note: If you'd like to read five chapters ahead, or read other works I write, you can find me on patreon.
I also have a discord server, where you can discuss my fics, read some things about how classic xianxia tropes are re-interpreted in FSE, or get recommendations for other fics I read.
Thanks for keeping up with the so far! I was really excited for the glassy fields crossing - I hope you liked it :)

Even in the freezing rain, a drop of sweat dripped down Qian Shanyi's hot forehead. She controlled her breathing, taking stock of her situation.

Cultivators faced death calmly, and slaughtered the reaper as it came for them.

The first thing she did was pull out her divination bottle, and check that her luck still held, and the vow in her mind was still whole. Only then did she breathe a sigh of relief. This was not some bizarre hitherto unknown form of the heavenly tribulation, but a perfectly ordinary weather event.

It would still kill her, of course, unless she came up with a plan - but at least the Heavens didn't have their finger on the scales.

Really, it could have been much worse. After the initial wave, the water was rising slowly - at a guess, she had some twenty minutes to think before it started to lap at her toes. Furthermore, the shrinking island of glass around her was at almost the exact center - and thus the lowest point - of the valley. If she managed to cross over this one stream, her road should go uphill from there, and away from the water.

She sent her sword over the roaring stream separating her from Glaze Ridge, and with some horror, saw that the transparent glass was only barely visible beneath the clear rain waters. The stretch of water ahead of her was easily fifty meters wide, and slowly widening as the water rose - suicidal to try to swim over blindly. The one behind her was wider still.

Wang Yonghao could have simply walked on air over all this, the lucky fuck.

Her sour thoughts briefly turned back to Junming sending her out into the valley, but they must have simply not known this could happen. They said they were only here for a couple months, and had not seen any local rain before. Their postmaster could have no doubt warned them, but who would decide to head into the valley in the rain at night? Ordinary people would hardly do so except when working, while most cultivators would have been warned off by their sects. Loose cultivators, on the other hand, were sure to wait for daylight, or stick to the edges of the valley. The question of those in her exact circumstances might have simply fallen through.

If only her flying sword technique was strong enough to carry herself - but no. It could perhaps lift a cat, not a full-grown woman.

"Enough self-pity," she hissed at herself, "How do I get out of here?"

As she saw it, she had two options.

She could stay on the island and hope that someone came to her rescue. Cultivators did not leave other cultivators to die: if someone with a flying sword technique saw her - the local sect elders, at least - they were sure to help. The only problem was being seen.

She doubted her little sword lantern could be noticed through the thick downpour, but she could circulate the Crushing Glance of the Netherworld Eyes and cover the entire island in glowing powder. Even if the water would wash it away, the sheer size of the area should let some light through, and perhaps someone could see her.

There was only one problem: time. Eyeballing it, she had perhaps twenty minutes until water would cover the top of her little island. In these twenty minutes, someone had to notice the glow, find a cultivator with a flying sword technique, and convince them there was a person in danger.

The chances of her rescue coming along before she was swept away were… not ideal. Of course, the rise of the waters might slow as time went on - but there was no way to predict this.

The other option was to try to get across herself.

When she decided to set off across the field of glass, she felt safe, knowing that she could protect herself from any falls with her spiritual shield. But a swim was not the same as a fall at all: when falling, she only needed to protect her body for a split second, before getting back on her feet. But if she went into the water, she would need to burn her spiritual shield at full power for the entire duration, lest a wave throw her into a sharp glass spike when she least expected it.

Spiritual shield techniques have been known since ancient times, the basics so simple they have been independently rediscovered by dozens of sects. They covered a cultivator's body and clothing with a porous, protective membrane, capable of withstanding even the hardest blows, but this protection came at the cost of rapid spiritual energy consumption. The stronger the membrane, the harsher the cost; so much so that until the last hundred years the technique was dismissed as useless in combat - after all, if you had spent spiritual energy on shielding, then all your opponent had to do was stall you out until you ran out of reserves.

Later improvements allowed cultivators to vary the amount of spiritual energy flowing through their spiritual shield on the fly, and strengthen different parts of the membrane independently from each other - so much so that nowadays, most cultivators tended to keep their shield active in a weak form all day long, instantly strengthening it if the need called for it - yet the fundamental limitation of spiritual energy drain had remained. In a fight, she could choose to strengthen exclusively the parts of her spiritual shield that were about to be hit by an attack, for only as long as the enemy's blade would stay in contact - but keeping it active at full power for the entire minute it would take her to swim across was well and truly beyond her.

But she had to keep it active. She couldn't see the glass under the water, nor sense it in any other way, and so couldn't predict when she would need her shield - and if a wave tossed her directly into a glass spike with no protection, then she could die in an instant.

She paced alongside the edge of the waters, thinking things over. She couldn't safely go into the stream, but she also couldn't stay: death lay in wait around every corner.

The biggest problem, really, was the depth of the water. If it was shallow enough to walk across, then she could have leaned into the stream, dug her heels into the glass, and kept her balance. Even if it was at merely chest height, she could have at least made sure to always keep her legs under her, keeping her relatively safe as she could not be tossed into the river bed by an errant wave. But with an unknown depth, and unforeseeable terrain lower down the stream, this was hardly possible. The roiling waters would spin her around, and she could be thrown onto a glass outcropping at any moment. She would be rolling the dice with no control over the outcome, and praying they came out right.

Control…

She reached out around her waist, and drew out her Silvered Devil Moth Silk rope she always kept with her.

Hmm.

Qian Shanyi checked herself over one last time. Her time was running out, but when dancing on a razor edge above an abyss, rushing would only make you slip.

Her idea was simple: she would hook a rope on the glass shards at the bottom of the stream, and anchor herself in place, safe from being swept away. That way, she would have plenty of time to check exactly where the glass was under the waters, and by keeping her legs under her, could make sure her sandals were always the first thing to come in contact with the glass.

Of course a single rope would not be enough: after all, she needed to move, not simply stay in place. She tied the center of her rope around her shoulders, and made a loop at each of the free ends. Her hope was that by changing which of the two loops took her weight and which was free to move, she could slowly shimmy across, one step at a time.

She tested it on the comparatively dry ground of her island, and the idea worked - if barely. The glass cracked, and the loops would occasionally slip around, some shards shattering while others took her weight - but that was fine. She didn't need to stay completely still: as long as she avoided an uncontrollable spiral at the speed of the water currents, she should be fine.

She could use her rope control technique to move the loops around, but after her experience with fishing lines, she knew that doing so underwater would be ten times as difficult. The technique relied on mirroring the shape and orientation of a piece of string she held in her hands onto the larger rope she wanted to move, and in the rapid water currents, this small piece of string would surely slip out of her hands. Instead, she tightly wound a long piece of thread all around her fingers: by mirroring the orientation of one of its segments onto the larger rope, she could control it quite easily. Her precision suffered, but at least there was no danger of slipping.

Over the thread, she layered pieces of tough fabric, cut off the hem of her cultivator robes, and tied down securely with strips of leather. She doubted her makeshift gloves could withstand glass sharpened to a knifepoint by spiritual energy, but perhaps it could help lessen the damage - cultivator robes were made for that express purpose, after all - and she suspected she would have to grab onto the glass to scamper up the opposite shore.

Longer strips of leather tied her sleeves in place, and the hem of her robes was cut in half, each piece wrapped around one of her legs, formed into a pair of pants. Mostly, she just wanted to lessen the drag - if she didn't cut it up, it would have billowed in the water.

She glanced behind herself, where she drew a long line of glowing powder all across the island before she started working. Nobody came to her rescue, and by now, the glow looked dim, most of it washed away by the rain.

She was on her own.

She looked out over the stream, still doubting herself. If she screwed this up, she would be shredded by the glass - she could hardly imagine a worse death for anyone, short of being turned into a cauldron by a demonic cultivator.

But there was no better way out, and stalling would only make the river wider.

She hooked her first loop on the ground of her island, tested it once again - it was secure - and sent her flying sword deep into the water, the second loop trailing behind it. Her rope control technique, by itself, wasn't strong enough to resist the force of the stream - but her flying sword very much was.

It took her a couple tries, but eventually, she got the second loop hooked on the bottom of the stream. She tested it by yanking on it. It was secure as well.

She breathed in one final time, and glared up at the clouds, rain streaming down her face.

"Somehow, this is all your fault." She scowled at the Heavens, and stepped into the freezing, rushing waters.

Halfway across the river, Qian Shanyi was no longer sure being cut into ribbons on razor sharp glass was the worst thing in the world.

The glass in the valley grew over any dirt the winds might have brought in, and so the waters around her were clear as ice - and felt almost as cold. Her entire body was growing numb, shivering uncontrollably, and even the frostbite pill she swallowed well in advance was only doing so much to help.

Through all of it, she had to keep careful control of four separate techniques - two to control each of her rope loops, her sword control technique, and the unnamed technique Hui Yin taught her for keeping rain and wind out of her eyes. Thankfully, the last one was so easy as to be merely an afterthought. The sword control technique alone pushed up against her limits, and with the others added on top, her focus kept slipping, parts of techniques unraveling and making her lose spiritual energy that she really couldn't spare.

And on top of it, simply getting the loop to catch was a matter of chance, especially with her numb fingers, and working completely blind.

Hook a loop - again - again - secure. Slowly, carefully, unhook the previous one. Swim as far as she could - only a couple meters, with how fast the stream was - then call the free loop back to her. Thread her sword through it, and send it upstream, through the water, so that she could hook the loop on the ground. Call her sword back.

Again.

Again.

Again.

The petulant rope refused to obey her clumsy fingers. The glass at the bottom of the stream shifted, cracked, and made her rope slip - only for her to hook it back in. The roaring waves around her dunked her in and out of the water, and though she could stay above the surface, with her focus split five different ways, she couldn't help but swallow some of it.

Once, she descended into a coughing fit when it went down her lungs, and thought that would be her end.

Hook. Again. Secure. Unhook. Swim.

She kept her head down, not looking towards the shore. Her world narrowed down to the flow of water, threatening to make her slip and send her careening towards her death, and her slow, inexorable movement across it.

Again.

Again.

Four separate techniques were not only a drain on her mind, but also her spiritual energy, and even the spiritual stone she held safely under her tongue was doing little to make up for it. It would take a good ten minutes for it to fully dissolve, an agonizingly slow rate of recovery - and with how feeble her hold was on the stream's bottom, she couldn't risk taking a rest right in the middle.

She had calculated it all neatly over on the island, and this rate of use should have still been much less than needing to maintain her spiritual shield at full power - yet she didn't account for needing to recirculate the techniques when her control slipped, and now there was no space left in her mind to recalculate, or even to doubt her decision.

Besides, what was she to do? Swim back over to the island? It must have sunk underwater by now.

Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. She secured both of her ropes on the river bed below her, and paused to take stock of her situation. When she glanced over to the shore, she saw it was now perhaps only fifteen, twenty meters away. She briefly considered saying fuck it and just swimming the rest of the way, but her exhaustion - mental much more than physical - did not change the math, and even though a treacherous voice in the back of her mind whispered at her to hold still, to rest more, she knew she had to keep going.

Hook. Secure - no, the glass sheared, her loop is floating free. Retract the loop, attach to the sword, send it out, hook. Is it secure? Yank to make sure. Okay. Unhook -

Ten meters from shore, with only a quarter of her spiritual energy left, the glass under her only secure loop cracked, and the current threw her downstream. She scrambled in the water, trying to push the loop down, re-secure herself, but it was far too late.

All in.

She grit her teeth, and motioned for her sword to fly towards the shore on its own, and followed after it, swimming as if her life depended on it - because it did. She pushed spiritual energy through her limbs to move faster, the rush of power dilating her blood vessels and bringing feeling back into her limbs through painful tingling. She just had to guess where the shore would begin and activate her spiritual shield in time -

She smashed her knee directly into the glass, and knew she guessed wrong. The pain of it made her blank out for a split second, and when she came back to it, she felt the current already drawing her further away from the shore.

No! I was so close!

Thinking quickly, she pulled back one of her loops, and tossed it above the waters, onto the ground. It slipped, but she had already pushed spiritual energy into it, making the rope dig into any tiny crevice it could find, and it caught.

The rope went taught, and slowly brought her closer and closer to the shore, and she did her best to bring her legs under herself.

The spot she ended up at was a poor one - a turn of the river, where the rushing water tossed and turned in a fierce vortex right next to the shore, but she couldn't risk letting go and trying to find a better spot. As soon as she felt her sandals touch down on the glass beneath, she pushed the last of her free spiritual energy into her shield - if she failed here, she was dead anyways.

The waves smashed her into the glass ground once, twice, beating the air out of her lungs, her spiritual shield holding on until she was smashed the third time. Her shield shattered, but by then she had managed to grab onto the ground with both her hands and feet, the water beneath only knee deep. She felt the glass cutting into her fingers, but she didn't care, because finally she was secure, past this hellish stream of slicing death.

She grinned, slowly rising to her feet, on hand on the rope holding her stable. Just a couple more steps -

The entire sheet of glass underneath her feet sheared, and she slipped, plunging head first into the shallow waters, smashing her face into the glass beneath. She felt a hundred stinging lines open up across her skin, but this was nothing, and she stood up again, and drove her sandal deep into the ground to fucking secure it. Her lips - cut open in two places - were split into a feral scowl, blood dripping down all over her skin and obscuring her vision, making her wipe it away with her free hand just to see where she was going.

Thank her luck that at least the water in the way had slowed her fall.

One step.

Another step.

And then finally, she stepped out on solid ground, and she was free. Her legs shook from the stress as much as the cold while she hobbled away, reeling her rope back in, and climbed up the hills of glass, high enough to feel safe. She slowly took her knife chest off her back, placed it on the ground, and carefully sat down on top of it to rest. Her hands - still numb and shaking from terror, adrenaline and pain that slowly started to spread through her body - rested on her knees, blood dripping quietly onto the glass below.

"Fuck you." She scowled up at the clouds above. "Whatever godling brought this weather along, I will rip your tongue out through your bowels."

The spiritual energy in the air was fairly dense, so once the spirit stone in her mouth completely dissolved, she didn't go for a second one. Instead, she closed her eyes and concentrated on the flow of spiritual energy through her body, analyzing the damage.

Luckily enough, most of it seemed to be superficial. Her knee took the brunt of the abuse, but even there, the cuts didn't go deep into the bone. Tendons in her hands were still whole, and while her skin bled a lot, it should also heal quickly. The healing pill she took earlier in the day was already doing the work - by the time the sun rose, most of it should already be scarred over, and in another couple days, even the scars would be gone.

She opened up her eyes, breathing deeply, and started to use her spiritual energy to slowly push the shards of glass out of her skin. Perhaps showing up to Yonghao with her face in a mess of cuts was not the best impression, but on the other hand, perhaps it would also help to convey her message.

As she worked slowly, giving her body all the time it needed to recover, her thoughts turned back to spiritual shields. Ironically enough, if she had been wearing armor, like cultivators in ancient times, then this river crossing would have been much less of a problem.

The dominant paradigm at the time was that energy spent on defense was entirely wasted unless it actually prevented an attack: even if you managed to guess when you would be attacked, if you had underestimated the strength of the attack, then your shield would shatter and you would still die. On the other hand, you would also waste energy if you had overestimated the attack's strength, and committed too much energy to the defense. And of course, at the end of the day, your opponent could simply stall you out, wait until you ran out of reserves, and kill you like a defenseless dog.

The same was not true for offense. A sword slash that wasted some energy would still cut off your enemy's head, and nobody cared how much energy the victor was left with. Even a weak slash would force a parry or a dodge, giving you an opening - and if they tried to resist it with their shield, then you were at least trading your spiritual energy against theirs. Of course, your enemy might have allies - but faced with strict numerical superiority, defensive techniques would fare no better.

Attack with your whole heart and die with no regrets - or cower, and be slaughtered like the pig you are.

Because of this, cultivators either relied on enchanted armor to resist attacks, their speed to avoid them, or their skill with the sword to parry them. The use for shields was extremely niche, mostly having to do with resisting environmental dangers or training aggressive demon beasts.

Despite this prevailing philosophy, some sects continued to develop the spiritual shield technique, refining it, reducing the cost and maximizing the effects. The first breakthrough allowed the strength of the membrane - and thus the energy drain - to be varied on the fly. The second made it possible to strengthen individual segments of the shield independently from each other. Simultaneously, development of training methods for spiritual energy senses had allowed cultivators to judge the strength of oncoming attacks with unprecedented precision. It finally became possible to break the cruel asymmetry of spiritual energy use, spending much less energy on the defense than on the offense.

Yet the perception that spiritual shields were useless stuck around, until a little-known sect that focused on their development had capitalized on an incidental civil war and managed to place their patriarch on the imperial throne. By relying on their spiritual shields, they could forgo armor entirely, wearing comfortable - and more importantly, light - robes into combat, their maneuverability on top of a flying sword impossible to compete with. This was the first brick on the path to the era of reformation, some fifty years later, and the establishment of the modern empire.

Nowadays, this "basic" spiritual shield technique was made available to all cultivators in any imperial library. Most sects - her own included - did not consider their inner disciples fully taught until they had mastered it, and could keep a spiritual shield active at the lowest level of spiritual energy consumption throughout their entire day.

"I wonder what they were thinking, when they put it in libraries -" she laughed softly, the shock and fear of the river crossing now safely behind her "- that the lives of us cultivators would be safer if we learned it? From the demon beasts, perhaps. But in the end, danger doesn't find us - we push ourselves into it."

This entire incident was more than a little bit her own fault. If she had thought more about her environment, she could have predicted the flash flood, and waited for the morning - or sought assistance in crossing from a sect elder in Reflection Ridge.

She sighed, and slowly got up off her knife chest. Her robes - ones gifted to her by Wu Lanhua - were thoroughly ruined, torn into shreds on the glass, and she stripped down, taking out her second, far more expensive and durable set. The same ones she couldn't wear in front of Liu Fakuang, lest he recognise her description as Qian Shanyi.

The same scarlet robes she wore when she first left the forest with Wang Yonghao. It was only appropriate for their reunion, she mused, as she dressed herself again, and put the ruined robes in her pack - there was no sense in throwing away the fabric.

It took her twenty minutes to find her sword, simply lying on the glassy ground of the valley, light from the bottle lantern she tied to its guard easily visible once she crested over another hill. She was worried she had lost it entirely - there was no time to catch it back into her sheath in the river, so she had sent it flying blind towards the shore. If it fell into the water, she doubted she could have ever found it again. A sentimentality, perhaps, but it was hard won.

Her knife chest and scroll case survived the ordeal surprisingly well, even managing to keep their contents dry - though she supposed her face took the brunt of the hits. Her normal bag was likewise somewhat torn, though she thought she could repair the green dress Lanhua had gifted her.

Having checked her things, she spent several hours simply resting on top of her knife chest, letting her body heal and recovering her spiritual energy from the air in the valley. The rain around her even started to feel somewhat pleasant - she couldn't get any more wet after the river, and the enhancements of the robes had quickly warmed her body up, if not so much that she felt dry.

Once she felt ready, she got up, and headed towards Glaze Ridge, surprised to notice the dawn beginning to break through the clouds ahead as a sun rose above the town. Had she really rested that long?

The rain did not let up as she approached the town. This side of the valley sloped gently, compared to the abrupt drop of Reflection Ridge, and so she didn't even need to find a particular path. Once the buildings rose up over the top of the hill in front of her, in the distance, she heard screams, clash of blades, and a surprisingly loud honk of a goose.

"Then again," she mused, a light smile playing on her lips. "Perhaps the danger does seek out some of us."

She headed for the screams, and soon came across a small square. An enormous creature of glass, with thin limbs but lumpy body, like a cross between a spider and a ball of clay, was laying down on the ground, cut cleanly in half. When it stood tall, she had no doubt it could have reached up to the third story.

In front of the corpse, she saw Wang Yonghao, his hands raised up deferentially, arguing with another cultivator she dimly recognised. He was dressed strangely - narrow sleeves, pants, and some sort of thick leather jacket over his chest, glistening with jewelry, that called back something from her memory. It took her a moment to realize she had seen it on actors in plays - this was armor, or an imitation of it. On his back was a sword with a wide guard, wavy blade almost as long as he was tall. A practical belt of pouches and talismans was strapped across his chest, and by the flow of spiritual energy around him, she would have guessed him to be in the peak refinement stage.

Wang Yonghao had his back turned towards her, and she sneaked up on him quietly.

"What was I supposed to do?" Wang Yonghao pleaded, "It was going to burst into the houses! I couldn't just let it kill people!"

"My formation would have caught it, you imbecile!" The other man roared. "Can you not even see your own stupidity with both eyes open? Then pluck them out, they are of no use to you!"

As she came closer, she finally recognised him from the portraits. It was, of course, none other than Jian Shizhe, the man of a thousand duels.

"Now, now, fellow cultivators, there's no need to fight," she grinned, catching Wang Yonghao's neck in the crook of her elbow and pulling him closer, "we wouldn't want to duel over a dead demon beast."

"Qian Shanyi?!" Wang Yonghao tried to jerk away from her, but she held him securely, grinning at him. His face went through an entire pallet of emotions, shock, fear, joy, guilt, before he finally settled down on sheer bafflement. "How - how did you find me?"

"I followed the scent of Heaven-defying arrogance," she snorted, "now come, we have a lot to talk about."

Last edited:
Nice, she finally found Yonghao again.

If that's not to much spoilering, are we finally off the cycle of Qian ShianYi going five steps fowards to fall four steps back right afterwards and then claw her way five steps fowards in the following two-three chapters to fall four steps back again?

Defying the heavens isn't and shouldn't be straightforward, but it's getting to the point where this is tiring not just for the character. Which is very regrettable, because taken alone each time she finds a way out of her current conundrum is very well written.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I was almost expecting her to surf/waterski on her sword to cross the water…

That was certainly very grueling!

If that's not to much spoilering, are we finally off the cycle of Qian ShianYi going five steps fowards to fall four steps back right afterwards and then claw her way five steps fowards in the following two-three chapters to fall four steps back again?

Defying the heavens isn't and shouldn't be straightforward, but it's getting to the point where this is tiring not just for the character. Which is very regrettable, because taken alone each time she finds a way out of her current conundrum is very well written.
As a member of the moneyed and well-heeled Patreon gentry, I can tell you that there were at least two moments in the written-but-not-released chapters made me react in a way that had my partners checking on me, from where they were in different rooms, and making sure that I was okay given the uncharacteristic gasping/laughing/exclaiming.

My exact reaction to the most recent chapter was 'hot damn'.

All of this is to say: I think you're going to be happy.

I don't mind it, one of my favorite things about the story is the problem solving. It's really fun watching her puzzle through new problems, which require a steady supply of new problems.

Yeah, but at a certain point, ten paragraphs of detail into how she rigs a wooden framework to mount a whozit just starts to get repetitive. You can only do so many scenes like that in rapid succession.

I don't really know how to answer that, since in my impression she hadn't been falling back much since the big drop with yonghao leaving - I'd say only the glassy fields really qualify? Everything else was forward progress. Perhaps if you'd expand a bit more on what you mean I could answer the question better.

I don't really know how to answer that, since in my impression she hadn't been falling back much since the big drop with yonghao leaving - I'd say only the glassy fields really qualify? Everything else was forward progress. Perhaps if you'd expand a bit more on what you mean I could answer the question better.
I'd say it comes out of the dynamic of "to achieve your goal you have to jump through THESE hoops, and to jump through those hoops you have to jump through THESE OTHER hoops." I'd have to sit down and think about it pretty carefully to diagram out the plot, but ever since she returned to civilization from the wilderness, Our Heroine has had multiple rounds of unfortunate complications keep popping up in her face and requiring extensive preparations to win clear of.

By contrast, the glassy fields are arguably the least of the issues here. Because see, they're a straightforward obstacle that has to be navigated to get from Point A to Point B, and because the nature of the reason they present an obstacle (flash flooding) is a direct logical consequence of their nature as already established.

But earlier...

Shanyi fucks up in trying to sell a sword because she doesn't know relatively basic facts about the legalities of treasure-hunting and being an independent cultivator.* She then has to spend several chapters sorting out dodgy paperwork because of this indiscretion.

Shanyi encounters this extremely persistant merchant princess who screws up her plans out of this nebulous probably-platonic urge to, I dunno, become her patron, which runs her through a whole 'nother sideplot stretching across something like fifteen chapters. All while Shanyi's fundamental goal is just to leave this said sideplot and not have to deal with it anymore, and when getting to where she's going is a matter of some urgency.

Shanyi encounters Obnoxious Chef while resolving this sideplot and ends up spending at least a few chapters on a sideplot within the sideplot. When, again, she is constantly getting (and giving us) reminders in the narrative that this is a matter of urgency.

Every individual piece is well crafted, but the plot as a whole was (maybe not 'is' but 'was') starting to drag from the fact that Shanyi is navigating multiple recursive loops of sideplot that arose from the complications involved in getting back to meet the guy. It's not just that she's on the road from Point A to Point Z and stopping to sightsee. That's one thing. It's that she seemed like she was going in circles, as it were. She was having to exercise tons of ingenuity just to stand still and not advance the plot at all, merely to prevent it from being set further back.

And again, each individual piece is well executed and fun!

But I can kind of see why some people feel like the plot is starting to drag. Hopefully, we're going to see a bit more linear movement where passage from Point A to Point C entails going through Point B, but not through Point Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

*(On which note, I am surprised Shanyi never researched that. Her general character seems to involve being very knowledgeable and doing a lot of research before she acts whenever possible. The information in question is a matter of public record and many people's experience. And while the proximate cause of her adventures was her poorly conceived kidnapping, it's fairly obvious that she's been at least fantasizing about leaving her sect for years, given how heavily her inner monologue dwells on rebellion and how she felt stifled by her sect, and how the idea of leaving them forever, as I recall, inspired her with little more sentiment than "huh, good riddance." She seems like the kind of person who'd have complex fantasies of what she'd do if she ever got away from her sect, even if she stayed in that dead-end job until the day she died. And being that person while being Shanyi, I'm surprised she hadn't read a whole stack of books familiarizing herself with how to succeed in fulfilling that fantasy, including "pitfalls of trying to gain a bunch of wealth in a hurry through wilderness exploration.")

On the other hand, it's important to the pacing of the story to have some kind of side-arc in between leaving him and finding him. It can't feel too easy !

I also didn't feel like the cook duel and the merchant lady were too separate sideplots. It all felt neatly interwoven as a single side-plot.

On the other hand, it's important to the pacing of the story to have some kind of side-arc in between leaving him and finding him. It can't feel too easy !
Depending on where the story's endpoint is, that's certainly possible.

See, when I say it was starting to drag, I meant that it was near the upper limit of how many extra problems and complications you could throw in the path for Shanyi to resolve without the plot dragging. Is it over the limit? Just under the limit? I think that's a matter of opinion. Much depends, in the scheme of things, on how relevant the sideplot stuff becomes later. Will the merchant princess be a recurring influential character who exists as more than just a source of delays and obstructions? Perhaps so, in which case the subplot of time spent with her sort of retroactively becomes less of a diversion.

Back