Reach Heaven Via Feng Shui Engineering, Drug Trade And Tax Evasion

'tied down' I guess?
Fellow cultivators, this has to be a plot - nay, a scheme, a devious undertaking - by one of the demonic sects, for this here daoist to have missed both typos over three or four re-reads, with the help of my humble editor no less. This here cultivator bows deeply to you for showing me this mistake, it has been corrected post-haste.

I don't really know how to answer that, since in my impression she hadn't been falling back much since the big drop with yonghao leaving - I'd say only the glassy fields really qualify? Everything else was forward progress. Perhaps if you'd expand a bit more on what you mean I could answer the question better.
Whoops, I had the intent to reply sooner than that but I got busy and forgot. I think falling back was a badly chosen wording on my part. I think the better wording is that at every occasion she can make a step forward towards her goal of catching up with Yonghao, she also faces the danger of a setback that is catastrophic.

At the same time, loosing Yonghao was already the big set back, so it doesn't make a lot of narrative sense to compound another setback on top of it. So this cycle sort of becomes tedious and exhausting to read, especially multiple times, rather than thrilling. Especially, while keeping in mind that finding Yonghao is a sort of status quo that existed at a prior point of the story. From my perspective, the adventures of Shanyi in the city could have been shortened by maybe three mini-arcs. To make an analogy, each of them feels like an overly risky fetch quest, which would be entertaining if there was only one or two of them, or also fine if after the risky one, it was a more streamlined build up and preparation arc (which would have incidentally made it shorter).

Chapter 41: Hide Your Cries Amid The Shards Unseen
Author Note: If you'd like to read four chapters ahead, or read other works I write, you can find me on patreon.
I also have a discord server, where you can discuss my fics, read some things about how classic xianxia tropes are re-interpreted in FSE, or look at fanart and memes. Thanks for reading! :)

Jian Shizhe's gaze flickered between Qian Shanyi and Wang Yonghao, his eyes narrowing down in suspicion.

"Who is this jade beauty, Yonghao?" he asked, his temper receding for a moment.

"It's - a friend, alright?" Wang Yonghao said, turning his gaze back to Jian Shizhe. "She's right, we have to leave -"

"Leave?!" Jian Shizhe scowled. "You dare speak to me like that? Answer for what you did here!"

"What I did?" Wang Yonghao scowled right back, "I saved people is what I did! What do I have to answer for?"

"You pathetic worm, do you even know who I am?! You've ruined months, years of my work - "

"Oh, little Shizhe, did you find some new friends?" A shout from behind Qian Shanyi interrupted him, and Jian Shizhe stiffened, his lips curving downwards.

As she glanced behind her, she saw an unfamiliar cultivator, covered in gems, gold and silver. His hair was sculpted into a pair of long wings, golden wire keeping the structure in place, framing a young male face. His ears carried a pair of chandelier earrings, each a good foot long, and his robes were covered in an assortment of chains and ribbons, half a dozen rings shining brightly on his hands. It was a small miracle that none of it had ended up tangled together - which meant that either the jewelry was enchanted, or the man had practiced a special art for this sole purpose.

He was barely past twenty, if she were to guess, though already in the high refinement stage. Sigils around the sleeves and the front of his robes revealed him as belonging to the Flowing Scarlet River sect, though she didn't recall his face from the almanac - a new arrival in town then, most likely. He had a sword on his back, just as long as the one carried by Jian Shizhe, its tip dripping fresh black blood onto the ground. Shards of glass were spinning around him in a small whirlwind.

"Aw, did we let this one fall through?" he said, passing the corpse of the felled glass shambler, and kicking it in disappointment. "So what were you discussing?"

"Nothing that concerns you, Rui Bao," Jian Shizhe said through clenched teeth, his eyes glued to the young man.

"You are always so rude to me, little Shizhe." Rui Bao pouted. That expression didn't last, as he smiled at Qian Shanyi while passing her by, giving her a small bow. "Yonghao, is that your wife? Why didn't you tell us she was coming?"

"My - my wife?!" Wang Yonghao stuttered, his face growing white. Qian Shanyi raised an eyebrow.

"Well yeah," Rui Bao said, coming over to Jian Shizhe and throwing a hand over his shoulder to mirror Qian Shanyi's pose. Jian Shizhe stiffened further, and his scowl grew deeper. "Look at how closely you two are standing! I can recognise a man's woman when I see her."

"Yonghao said her name was Qian Shanyi," Jian Shizhe said stiffly, pulling Rui Bao's hand off his shoulder, "Wang and Qian - they can't be married."

Qian Shanyi's eyes flickered between the two cultivators. Based on Jian Shizhe's demeanor, he was only a hair's breadth away from challenging Wang Yonghao to a duel. She didn't know who this Rui Bao was, but if Jian Shizhe was allowing him this much leeway, then her best bet to extricate them from this sticky situation was to play them against each other.

Pretending she was anyone's woman was really not the mask she preferred, but in the end, it was better to work with the preconceptions of others than against them - and they wouldn't be staying in this town long enough for it to matter.

"Indeed, fellow cultivators, we aren't married - but marriage is ever a question of timing, is it not?" She smiled, ignoring Wang Yonghao's nails digging into her shoulder. "Could we be excused? Whatever happened, this demon beast is already dead - and I had a very long night."

"Yeah, I could tell!" Rui Bao laughed, gesturing at the thin scar lines on her face. "Slipped on the glass fields? Happened to me many times, back in the day."

"Something like that. Perhaps we could meet in a couple days, once I have acclimated to the town? I would be glad to share my cooking, if you would allow me."

"Oh Heavens!" Wang Yonghao awkwardly gasped, thankfully finally realizing what she was doing and trying to play along. His acting left much to be desired. "I had some medicine with me - please, can you let me attend to my…friend? This hunt is already over."

"Oh but of course!" Rui Bao laughed again, nodding and making all his jewelry tinkle slightly, turning his head towards Jian Shizhe. "Jian Shizhe could show you around then - he is the expert on this town, and every time I come here, I learn something new from him! Isn't that right?"

Jian Shizhe glared at the three of them, his scowl deepening, before he turned all his wrath on Wang Yonghao.

"You cowardly, pathetic, sniveling worm, unworthy of even being a footrag for a true cultivator," he said, his eyes flickering with newfound fury, "this is just an excuse for you to run away from the mess you made, isn't it? Honorless wretch, you expect me to simply forget this?!"

Wang Yonghao tried to step forwards, ready to respond, but she tightened her arm around his neck to keep him back.

"Just take the insult," she whispered in Yonghao's ear, keeping her eyes on Jian Shizhe with a slight smile. "Trust me."

She felt Yonghao stiffen, and then relax.

"Sorry about the spider," Wang Yonghao said, bowing slightly, as far as her arm would allow, "hope you will find another one!"

"Oh they practically grow on trees here," Rui Bao said, trying - and failing - to pull Jian Shizhe away from them.

Wang Yonghao turned around and she let go of his neck, following after.

"Hey! You think you can simply walk away from this?" Jian Shizhe shouted after them. "Even if you climbed up into the Heavens, you wouldn't escape me!"

Qian Shanyi sighed, and stopped, turning around. Jian Shizhe didn't seem willing to throw a challenge down right next to this Rui Bao, but it was best to let him walk away on a positive note.

"Honorable cultivator Jian." She bowed deeply. She needed a compliment, and an open request, to give some control back to him, yet non-committal. With how he dressed - perhaps something old-fashioned? "The beauty of your town is only eclipsed by that of your own, much like the prosperity of your family eclipses the stars. I haven't seen my fiance in ages -"

Behind her, she heard Wang Yonghao stumble.

"- and every second we could spend together, strolling these streets, would be a balm upon my soul. I hope you could find it in your heart to grant this humble cultivator this gift?"

She batted her eyelashes at Jian Shizhe to sell the performance. He scoffed at her, but the corner of his mouth twitched upwards, and he finally waved them off. She turned around, and caught up with Wang Yonghao, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"So, my 'dear fiance'," - she chuckled grimly - "I hope you know of a tavern in this town, where we could conduct our…spousal affairs?"

"Please don't joke like that." Wang Yonghao shuddered. "I still remember what you looked like with your arms buried in that bear's midsection, or when you were digging through the brain of that fish."

"Fine, fine." She snorted. "You think I like it myself? As if the only reason I could even exist is as an accessory to you. It was just more convenient to play along, and not give Jian Shizhe an opening."

"You know this guy?" Wang Yonghao looked at her strangely. "I've only gotten here two days ago. How long have you been here?"

"I've only just arrived, Yonghao," she said. "Do you truly think I would have simply skulked around in the shadows for days, observing you, without even coming around to say hi?"

"Yes?"

"Fine, I might have, but I didn't." She rolled her eyes. "I know of him from the cultivator almanac. He challenges others to duels over any little insult - you dodged a flying sword there, thanks to me. I wouldn't worry much about his insults - everyone already knows how hot-headed he is, so they carry little weight."

Wang Yonghao rubbed his forehead.

"What in the netherworld's name is a cultivator almanac?"

"Hm," she hummed, "I suppose you not knowing about it would explain a fair bit. Not much to it - I have only learned of it myself quite recently. I'll show you later - but first, an inn? Let's not talk out in the open."

Wang Yonghao sighed, and led her down the streets of glass, rain still falling all around them.

The tavern they settled on, not pressed for space like the one in Xiaohongshan, was a single-story building in the shape of a square, encircling a bountiful garden. The garden itself had a dozen delicate domes of glass stretching above it - like an enormous frozen flower, panels keeping rain away from the paths, matte glass giving shade to small pavilions here and there, yet still leaving plenty of gaps for rain to water the plants and for fresh air to circulate. In any other town, only a lord or a large sect could afford something of this scale - but here in Glaze Ridge, she supposed both the glass and the cultivators who could shape it were in abundance.

Every room in the tavern was more of an apartment, wide and inviting, with a fireplace large enough to fit a cooking pot, and even a small attached washroom - though the baths were still communal. The cost, appropriately enough, was high - a whole yuan per day - but after working for Wu Lanhua, she was no longer quite as strapped for money as before. They paid for a week - enough time to not seem suspicious, and for them to get their bearings, with the possibility of extending their stay. There were cheaper options, but she had plans for after her tribulation, and felt that the extra space would more than pay for itself.

And if she died to the tribulation… Well, then it wouldn't be her problem.

She had Wang Yonghao pay with her money, not wanting to leave her name on the documents, but in the end, the innkeeper didn't even ask for their seals. He was even kind enough to sell her some rice and vegetables.

Once they were left alone in their room, she placed her bags on the floor, stretched out her tired hands, and closed her eyes. After that hellish river crossing, simply being able to put her things down felt rapturous, even if she was still drenched head to toe from the rain.

"So um," Wang Yonghao said quietly, and from the shuffling of wool and groaning of wood, she knew he sat down on the edge of the bed. His voice was tense. "Did you find my message?"

"I did," she responded, opening her eyes to give him a flat look. He was staring at his feet, and didn't meet her eyes. "Getting it was… very exciting. But let's set up some formations first. My luck has been rotten as of late - you will forgive me for being paranoid."

She went over to her knife chest, flipped open the lid, took out two leather talisman pouches, and handed them to Wang Yonghao.

"Here," she said, "and start a fire, if you wouldn't mind? I would like to cook something."

Perhaps she was simply stalling. The heavenly vow in her mind quieted down now that she found him, but she had, at best, a couple days before it would force her hand - if the man himself didn't do so earlier. She wanted to spend these days preparing for her inevitable tribulation, but she couldn't really explain how she found him without mentioning the damn vow, for he would rightly want to know.

But what was she supposed to do? She wasn't ready. Even in a good town like this one, even if Wang Yonghao would help her - she didn't envy her chances of survival.

While Wang Yonghao was setting up the talismans, she took out her sewing set, and walked over to the window. It was a single panel of glass in a solid frame of wood, opening out into the gardens, and shutters that could be locked from the inside. She wanted to add a tripwire.

She closed the shutters, and then took out the thinnest needle she had, tore off a single hair from her head, and threaded it through. Very carefully, she made a couple miniscule holes on the underside of the shutters, and passed the hair through them, tying it into a knot - if the window opened from the outside, the hair would tear in half, and then at least she would know someone had been snooping through the room. She did much the same with the inner window itself.

By the time she was done, a fire was roaring happily within the fireplace, and Wang Yonghao had finished setting up both of her formations in two concentric circles. She glanced over his work and nodded approvingly.

The first was a standard set of talismans for gathering spiritual energy. When put in correct positions, they would form a whirlpool, sucking it from the environment, and marginally raising the concentration of the energy within the circle. The relative increase was not very large, but every little bit counted for a loose cultivator, and so these formations were fairly common.

Of course, with access to Wang Yonghao's energy-dense inner world, this formation was now entirely useless. Instead, she was after its side effect: this whirlpool of spiritual energy disrupted spiritual energy senses of cultivators. She could already feel it starting to pull on the cilia of her spirit, an uncomfortable tug that made them shrink back instinctively. If someone wanted to, they could of course force their cilia across the boundary and sense what was happening inside; but doing so would be a grave invasion of privacy, and not something anyone would dare to do casually. Merely putting up the formation would tell all cultivators to turn their senses away - and that meant they could open up the entrance to Wang Yonghao's inner world with no fear of discovery.

The second formation was one that muffled sound crossing its boundary. The drain on it was fairly small, but she still wasn't sure if there would be enough ambient spiritual energy to power it for the whole day, even with the gathering formation helping out. Mostly, she purchased it as an excuse, to have something to point to if anyone asked why they have been so quiet within their room.

"There we go," she said, coming into the middle of the circles, "now, even if there is a cultivator in the next room over, they shouldn't sense anything amiss. You can open up the entrance."

"And the fire?" Wang Yonghao nodded at it, shifting around awkwardly. "If you wanted to cook, it'd be easier to do it inside."

"It would be suspicious if we stayed in the room but never even lit a fire," she said, "the innkeeper saw how drenched I was in the rain, and I bought rice and vegetables from him - this way, he would see smoke coming out of our fireplace, and make all the wrong assumptions."

She pulled out her silk rope, and offered one end to Wang Yonghao.

"Let's go," she smiled, "I am getting hungry."

As they descended down into the inner world - Wang Yonghao, walking on air, and she, holding onto a rope securely tied to his belt - Qian Shanyi felt tension lift off her mind. The same place that tried to kill her so many times now felt safe, comfortable, like returning back home from a long trip. Ever-present sunlight warmed her skin, the dense spiritual energy in the air rushed into her meridians, and she knew that at least here, she didn't need to hide.

From the air, the world fragment looked like a perfectly round plate of grass. As she looked over it, she quickly noted the changes from her last visit. Wang Yonghao had dragged the lathe table off to one side, and the center of the world fragment was now occupied by a dozen chopped off tree trunks - supply of wood, she guessed. The drying cabinet on the chiclotron looked complete, and something of a kitchen had been set up above the fire node right next to the bath - all the cutlery arranged close together, with a stone foundation built above the node hatch, for easy access to the fire. The bath itself was surrounded by a fence as tall as a person - nothing more than thick, long wooden stakes hammered down into the ground, blocking the bath from sight down on the ground.

"You walled off the bath?" she chuckled, as they landed and headed towards the kitchen.

"Yeah. It felt awkward to bathe in the open." he shrugged.

"In the open? You live alone." She raised an eyebrow, looking back at Wang Yonghao.

"It was still awkward," he grumbled, "all this open space? Even if nobody can see me, it still feels like I am exposed."

She hummed. It would certainly make it easier to cohabitate - she remembered how painfully awkward the man was around nudity, back in the forest.

She quickly changed out of her drenched robes and into a fresh set - these ones brilliant white with silver thread, and a thin leather belt - hiding behind the bath out of courtesy to Wang Yonghao, and squeezed as much rainwater out of her long black hair as she could.

Taking a long, hot bath after the chaos of the night seemed like just what she needed before sleep, but first, she needed to fill her stomach. She checked the pots - all of them perfectly clean, and free of rust - picked up a small one, pouring out two portions of rice to wash and cook.

They quickly descended into silence only interrupted by the sound of rice swirling in water. Wang Yonghao broke it first.

"You said you got my letter?" he asked, biting his lips. "Did anything…happen there?"

She collected her thoughts before responding. Back in Xiaohongshan, she was furious when she read his message, but her anger had abated in time.

"When I left you, I visited the postal office, and then went on to sell one of our swords," she finally said casually, "the merchant seemed interested, and offered a good price, but then I made a mistake, and he sent spirit hunters after me."

Wang Yonghao made a whining noise, and she waved him off.

"It's fine. I handled it," she said, straining out the rice from starchy water with the edge of her knife, before refilling the pot and putting it on the fire, and adding some salt. She wiped her hands, and turned back to glare at Wang Yonghao. "But I did have to sneak back into our room in the middle of the night like some cheap robber, just so that I wouldn't be spotted. I spent the entire night huddled inside of a fireplace, coughing up soot. That was not fine. If you wanted to cut me off, why didn't you just tell it to my face?"

"I didn't want to cut you off!" he said, wringing his hands, "It's just…"

"Just what?"

"It's dangerous!" He shrugged. "I… I wrote about my friend, didn't I?"

"You did," she said, her glare softening a fraction, "But by then, I've already realized that something like that must have happened in the past. It changed little. It also has nothing to do with refusing to speak to me directly."

"Well what was I supposed to say?"

"The truth," she snorted, "That you were afraid, that I'd be in danger, which I already knew. I would have, of course, told you to shove your concerns because the path of cultivation is always full of dangers - but if you didn't want anything to do with me, then I'd have grudgingly conceded, no matter how stupid that decision would have been. I told you as much in the forest."

Wang Yonghao looked away.

"I was hoping you'd just go back to your sect," he sighed, "it's your home, you have family there. Why should you throw your life away?"

"Yonghao, I can't go back," she sighed, unpacking her knife chest, and preparing to dice up the vegetables she got from the innkeeper. Sadly, she didn't have any meat to work with.

"What?" he said slowly, "but you… You do have family in Golden Rabbit Bay, right?"

"Last I checked," she said, pushing down her spike of worry, "though I can no longer be sure, not after those demonic cultivator attacks on the day you left the city. But that isn't the problem. I wrote a… rather scathing message to my sect, saying I would not be returning. They would not welcome me back with open arms."

"What?" he said faintly, taking his head in his hands, "No, when would you have had the time -"

"You saw me write it, Yonghao." She glared back at him. "I meant every word in that letter, but the fact remains - I cannot go back, not as I am now. I can't even write to find out if my parents are still alive - the sect would track the return address, I am sure. And yes, perhaps I should have told you what kind of letter I was writing, but it was my own business. I am sorry I kept quiet, but you would have found out anyways if you simply asked me, or even just mentioned wanting to split, instead of making assumptions."

Wang Yonghao sat down on the grass, looking faint.

"So… What now?" he asked.

"What is in the past is in the past," she sighed, "please do not pull something like that again - if you still do not want to travel with me, then let us figure something out calmly, so that I could split off without being left with the law at my heels."

There wasn't enough space near the first fire node to place a pan of diced up vegetables. Something to busy herself with later - she could build a proper stove with multiple burners, perhaps - but for now, she simply headed off to another fire node. Running between them would be a chore, but she'd manage.

"Besides, don't you think we work well together?" she asked, carefully positioning the shield that served as their pan on top of a pair of wooden logs, just high enough above the fire node to fry the vegetables, but not so high that all the heat would dissipate. "Without my advice, you'd be dueling Jian Shizhe right about now."

As she stirred the pan with a carved, wooden spatula, she felt that something was missing. The innkeeper sold her some carrots and onions, but with only salt and pepper on hand, that would taste a bit too flat.

"I wish I had thought to bring more spices," she sighed, "Wu Lanhua had such a good collection, and she wouldn't have missed me taking some samples…"

"I have some," Wang Yonghao said, and she raised an eyebrow at him in surprise. He motioned for her to follow, and led her to the drying cabinet on the chiclotron.

When she showed him her plans for the redesign, the drying cabinet was already included. It was merely a tall chimney above a fire node that passed through a large box, warming it and giving it plenty of airflow, fit to dry food or clothes after a wash. They hadn't had the time to finish building it before Wang Yonghao ran away, but it seemed that he had finished it on his own.

She rapped her knuckles on the smooth planks, enjoying the solid, dull sound. Good construction. There was a door on the side, locked up with a latch, and when she popped it open, she saw neat shelves, full of ingredients. The smell of dry herbs hit her in the face, and she breathed deeply, savoring it.

"Good job building this," she said, running her hand along the inside wall. "Great job on maintaining the entire world fragment, really - finishing up frying the chiclotron, adding a kitchen, and the walls to the bath. You put yourself down so much I was worried you would let it all fall apart."

"I thought you said the walls were a waste?" he asked, uncertainly, but his mood did seem to improve somewhat.

"I didn't say that," she shook her head, "it just seemed strange to me, is all. But if you feel more comfortable that way, then it is good. At the end of the day, a house should be built to serve its inhabitants."

She turned her gaze to the contents of the cabinet, quickly adding them to her mental catalog of what was available.

"Good selection," She said, impressed, going through the shelves. "Garlic, slothenleaf, even some sparkberries… Not stolen, I hope?"

"No," he said, shifting awkwardly, "you left a couple spirit stones behind. Money doesn't stick around me, so I figured… I should buy something useful, right? Sorry for using it up."

"I am not here to give you grief over a couple spirit stones, Yonghao." She snorted. "I want a long term, productive relationship. Besides, we'll both be eating this. It was a good purchase, though we'll have to take some of them out of the cabinet before it ruins the taste entirely. Some of these ingredients prefer the cold, others need more air moisture... But you couldn't have known, and it's not a big deal."

"I can't store them outside, so that leaves the chiclotron," he sighed, "the rosevines eat everything I leave out. Maybe I'll make a second box."

"Those are still a problem?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, they hide underground, but they can't get into the box, not with the latch," he said, "I have to sleep inside of that hunting shack we dug into the ground. They tried to strangle me when I didn't."

"I am glad it ended up being handy eventually," she smiled, and went back to the ingredients. At the bottom of the cabinet, one shelf caught her eye - it held a large cut of mushroom sponge, faintly suffused with wood-type spiritual energy.

"Is this from that mushroom spirit you fought off?" She asked, curiously.

"You know about that?" Wang Yonghao asked, surprised.

"I know many things, Yonghao." She snorted. "Good job defending the ordinary people."

"Well… yeah," he said, and even despite her compliment, she could tell that his mood had dropped like a stone. "I thought maybe I could cook it - but it was too tough to eat, no matter how much I fried it, so I just left it here. But if you know about it… Were you following me? How did you manage that?"

"I have my ways." She laughed, deflecting the question. "Don't worry, I think I know how to cook this mushroom. It would be a good compliment to the rice."

"No, really, this doesn't make sense," he said, suddenly scowling, "Shanyi, I know what I am doing. When I don't want to be found, people almost never find me. My luck is cursed, but it grants me this much - I get into new problems, but out of old ones. And I was trying to run away from you - so how did you manage to find me?"

She stared at him, and considered deflecting again. There were ways to do it… but he deserved to know, especially if she was going to count on his help with the tribulation.

"I made a heavenly vow," she said quietly, "the Heavens were kind enough to help me find you in turn - I suspect you are their favored son, for whatever reason."

"You?" Wang Yonghao raised an eyebrow, "You made a heavenly vow?"

"I was all out of options," she scowled, blushing in shame, "you think I liked kissing the hands of butchers?"

"Uh huh," he said, his eyes narrowing in suspicion, "and what kind of vow was that?"

She opened her mouth to respond, to say that they should discuss this after dinner - in case mere discussion broke it - but stopped herself. Something didn't feel right.

It took her a moment to realize what she felt - or rather, did not feel - and her eyes widened in shock. The heavenly vow in her mind had gone completely silent.

She could still feel it in her mind, inert though it may be, but it had ceased to poke at her thoughts, as if it had fallen into deep torpor. In all her time with it, this has not happened even once.

Back at Wu Lanhua's estate, mere minutes after she made it, it was already active, pushing her along - and casting her mind back, it still was when she met Wang Yonghao, though it had calmed down significantly. Even while they were setting up the formations in their room, she could still feel it pressing down on her awareness.

So why would it go to sleep now?

No. Not now. She realized that she hadn't felt it move ever since they entered Wang Yonghao's Inner World.

She glanced upwards, to the very top of the spherical world, where the entrance to it had closed.

Could the Heavens simply…not see what was going on here? After all, the vow reflected their opinion of her - if it had gone silent, then had Heaven's watchful eye been closed?

That seemed like the only sensible explanation - the only concrete thing that could have changed between then and now - and yet it made no sense at all. If her theory was correct - and everything so far had pointed in that direction - then Wang Yonghao was the favored child of the Heavens, and his luck related to them in some way. But why would the Heavens give him a way to hide from their sight?

Was their sight limited within all world fragments, or only this one? She didn't know, and her research so far was too rudimentary to say for sure, but if any such limitations existed, then at least she hadn't heard of them.

Was this a trap? No, that made no sense - if the Heavens wanted to kill her, they could have broken off the vow at any time. If they did so while she was crossing the glassy fields, she would have died for sure.

That meant it couldn't be a trap… Or at least, not a trap for her.

"It was…a calculated vow," she said carefully, testing the waters.

Nothing. The vow stayed dormant.

"One that I would never have made, before I met you," she said, her lips slowly stretching out into a grin.

Not even a blip.

"One that, in fact, I would have said I should go back on," she said, starting to laugh. Wang Yonghao looked at her suspiciously.

"And in fact… It is a vow I never intended to fulfill in the first place!" She laughed in full, turning her eyes to the skies. Wang Yonghao went white as death, but the vow in her mind stayed silent, unmoving, and no tribulation lightning struck her down. "A vow of a liar, worthy of those it was given to!"

"Why are you laughing?!" he asked, his hands shaking a bit, "if you made a vow, you should know how dangerous it is to break it off! It's a miracle they didn't do so just now, after what you said!"

"Oh, Younghao, but why shouldn't I laugh?" She laughed louder, "I have just discovered that the Heavens, sanctimonious bastards that they are, have made a mistake."

She let her malice fill her grin, like old wine filling a crystal glass.

"And mistakes are made to be punished."

"Honorable cultivator Jian." She bowed deeply. She needed a compliment, and an open request, to give some control back to him, yet non-committal. With how he dressed - perhaps something old-fashioned? "The beauty of your town is only eclipsed by that of your own, much like the prosperity of your family eclipses the stars. I haven't seen my fiance in ages -"

Behind her, she heard Wang Yonghao stumble.

fake dating? interesting
:thonk:

It wasn't her deal to make, but I'm still not sure that the wouldn't just do the cultivation to satisfy her vow

It wasn't her deal to make, but I'm still not sure that the wouldn't just do the cultivation to satisfy her vow
He might but Shanyi would never tell him it as it goes against several of her beliefs.
1) Bowing to the heavens
2) Forcing your will on others
3) Affecting someone else's cultivation path against their will
there are probably more that I cannot think of

So presumably the trick will be that as soon as the tribulation lightning starts hitting, she ducks into the inner world?

So presumably the trick will be that as soon as the tribulation lightning starts hitting, she ducks into the inner world?
My guess is that they'll pretend she's forcing him to cultivate hard in the inner world for a month, making the heavens think she's fulfilled the vow. After all, the energy is so dense in there that it's a perfect place to cultivate. It's just an unfortunate coincidence the heavens can't actually see what's happening there, but they're training super hard, they swear!

Presumably she intends to claim she was doing her best to force him to cultivate while they were in the Realm (which is an excellent place to cultivate, after all).

Either that or the idiot decides to start cultivating in order to be able to 'protect her', despite her active discouragement of that, meaning she technically fulfils the vow while doing her best to betray it. Both Qing and Heaven get what they want.

"Whatever happened, this demon beast is already dead - and I had a very long night."

"Yeah, I could tell!" Rui Bao laughed, gesturing at the thin scar lines on her face. "Slipped on the glass fields? Happened to me many times, back in the day."
(flashback to Shanyi fleeing an advancing glass-filled river)
"...Something like that."

"Hey! You think you can simply walk away from this?" Jian Shizhe shouted after them. "Even if you climbed up into the Heavens, you wouldn't escape me!"
It would be funny if Yonghao used his scarlet dragonfly walking technique right now. It wouldn't help anything, it might even provoke Shizhe into attacking, but it would be the funniest way to provoke him.

"So, my 'dear fiance'," - she chuckled grimly - "I hope you know of a tavern in this town, where we could conduct our…spousal affairs?"

"Please don't joke like that." Wang Yonghao shuddered. "I still remember what you looked like with your arms buried in that bear's midsection, or when you were digging through the brain of that fish."
I find it interesting that Yonghao's distaste for Shanyi's joke comes from remembering her butchering dead creatures, and not any of the teasing/insults/however you want to characterize that part of their interactions.

She opened her mouth to respond, to say that they should discuss this after dinner - in case mere discussion broke it - but stopped herself. Something didn't feel right.

It took her a moment to realize what she felt - or rather, did not feel - and her eyes widened in shock. The heavenly vow in her mind had gone completely silent.

She could still feel it in her mind, inert though it may be, but it had ceased to poke at her thoughts, as if it had fallen into deep torpor. In all her time with it, this has not happened even once.
Hm. I was wondering about that.

That would be better than no trick, but it's not like she can stay in there forever. Probably.

More likely, the inner world will be used for research, preparation, and conversations that Shanyi wants to hide from the Heavens.

I find it interesting that Yonghao's distaste for Shanyi's joke comes from remembering her butchering dead creatures, and not any of the teasing/insults/however you want to characterize that part of their interactions.
It's one thing to imagine your girlfriend bantering with you or teasing you.

It's another thing to imagine your girlfriend prying something's brain out, when you yourself are not accustomed to butchering animals.

It's one thing to imagine your girlfriend bantering with you or teasing you.

It's another thing to imagine your girlfriend prying something's brain out, when you yourself are not accustomed to butchering animals.
Well, yes. The latter indicates a single viscerally uncomfortable memory. The former indicates (or rather, its absence counter-indicates) that Yonghao was genuinely hurt by Shanyi's comments.

Chapter 42: Rage At Luck, Thee Heavenborne
Author Note: If you'd like to read three chapters ahead, or read other works I write, you can find me on patreon.
I also have a discord server, where you can discuss my fics, read some things about how classic xianxia tropes are re-interpreted in FSE, or look at fanart and memes. Thanks for reading! :)

Wang Yonghao continued to freak out while she checked up on the rice, and took the vegetables off the burner.

"Are you suicidal?!" He shouted at her, "Why would you ever make a heavenly vow you intended to break?!"

"Oh relax." She snorted at him, bringing the large cut of mushroom to a cutting board to dice it up. "I wasn't just being a bit reckless."

"A bit reckless?" He scowled at her. "You are in the middle of the refinement stage! Tribulation would have the strength of the peak of the refinement stage - it will murder you!"

"Bah." She scowled back. "That isn't how strength works, and you should know this better than anyone. You cannot put a number to it, and say that since I have a strength of 500 points, and the tribulation has a strength of 1000 points, it would kill me every time. Circumstances, environment, allies, techniques, treasures and pills… all of it can swing the odds massively, and in either direction."

"Circumstances? What circumstances?"

"Well, for one, I have you." She nodded at him. "I hope you would help me fight?"

"I mean - of course, but what if you didn't find me?" he said, "Or if I refused? I ran away from you! How could you be so reckless as to rely on my help?"

"If I didn't find you, then I would have simply died." She shrugged. "That was a risk I was taking - but it was a calculated one. I asked for enough luck to find you, and the Heavens, for all their faults, always uphold the letter of their deals. If they didn't think I could do it, they wouldn't have granted me the vow in the first place."

"Shanyi - I am in the high refinement stage, not the peak! I can't stand up to a heavenly tribulation either!"

"You frankly could, but I don't need you for your strength." She snorted. "You could simply stand right next to me, keep your sword sheathed, and my odds would already improve drastically."

"What?" he asked, confusion plain on his face. She hummed in response, gathering the diced up mushroom into a bowl, and headed towards one of the metal nodes of the chiclotron.

"Do you know why you couldn't properly cook this mushroom?" she said, popping the hatch open, and carefully lowering the bowl in. "It comes from a spirit - you can still feel the spiritual energy within it, right? That makes it a spiritual ingredient, and you need to weaken it first."

Three Obediences Four Virtues had several sections on the various techniques one could use to do just that, but with the chiclotron at hand, the choice was obvious.

"It is a wood-type ingredient," she said, getting up off her knees and dusting herself off, "putting it in a metal-type environment will create inauspicious feng shui within this node. Inauspicious feng shui, among other things, weakens and damages many spiritual materials - which is exactly what we want, in this circumstance. Ordinarily, you would leave it alone for months - but with how much spiritual energy circulates through our chiclotron, I think it should be ready in about an hour."

"And what does this have to do with the tribulation?" he said, frowning.

"Nothing. It has to do with your luck," she said, going over to her bags, and starting to unpack what few personal possessions she had. "Many people think that auspicious feng shui is always good, and inauspicious feng shui is always bad - but that is not so. It's true that humans have vastly more uses for auspicious feng shui than the opposite, but that is not the same as one being 'good' and the other 'bad'. Some valuable plants require inauspicious feng shui to grow, and sometimes, you need it to brew a pill. It's much the same with your luck."

She gestured to him with one of her pill bottles to illustrate her point. He had his arms crossed on his chest, but listened patiently. "You must think your luck is always bad, don't you?" she said, "You say it's cursed. I imagine you think it kills people. But that is a dangerous simplification, and it's much more productive to think of what your luck actually does, and what motivates those who granted it to you."

"And those would be?..."

"The Heavens, I suspect."

"Wait, no." Wang Yonghao frowned. "In the forest, you said we couldn't even begin to guess why I am lucky. And now you say it's the Heavens for sure? This makes no sense."

"You are correct." She smiled. "I don't have proof - this is still only conjecture... But it's solid enough to gamble with. I am betting my life on it, after all."

"Because of one heavenly vow going your way?"

"No." She shook her head. "All the signs point the same way. First of all, I am not a karmist, I do not follow the Heavenly laws, and I have been vocal about my disgust for them all my life - yet still, the Heavens have granted me my vow. It's not unprecedented - but it is certainly unusual. On the other hand, if we assume your luck is caused by the Heavens, then it would make perfect sense - for I have vowed to make you cultivate as hard as you can for an entire month."

Wang Yonghao scowled at her, and she waved him off.

"I already said I have every intention of going back on my vow. Which brings me to my second point -" she said, knocking on the side of her head. "- inside your Inner World, the damnable vow is silent. It is yet another link between you and the Heavens."

Wang Yonghao froze for a moment.

"That's why you openly admitted that you were going to break off your vow?" he asked, faintly.

"I didn't know it would be safe for sure, but sometimes, you have to take a risk to confirm your theory." She shrugged. "If you are unwilling to take it, then it will tie your hands in chains of uncertainty. But now I am sure."

"That's…" He paused. "It's something, but it's not proof."

"It isn't." She nodded. "Which brings me to the question of means. I have no doubt that the Heavens could manipulate someone's luck enough to bring challenges to their feet, for their tricks are many and vicious, but could we expect the same of some natural quirk of your constitution? I do not think so. There are natural limits to what a constitution could achieve, just how there are limits to the weight of a newborn. Your luck, on the other hand, is so extreme, it is as if you were born as large as a fully grown man."

"Shanyi, no," Wang Yonghao started, then sighed, "this explains nothing. If my luck really were down to my constitution, then it could have simply made the Heavens accept your vow. And as for my inner world… I don't know. How do you know that all inner worlds don't work this way?"

"Ah, but there is a way to prove this theory, fellow cultivator Wang," she said, waggling her finger at him with a smile, "tell me, in all your travels, have you ever been faced with a Heavenly tribulation? You have not mentioned any back in the forest."

"I am still in the refinement stage, and I don't make vows," he said, "why would I face any in the first place?"

She shrugged easily. "Sometimes the Heavens send down a tribulation in response to some treasure being unveiled," she said, "Some techniques - ones that rely on the Heavens, for example - risk calling down the tribulation as well. And of course, sometimes the tribulation descends without any known reason. it's very rare, but with your luck, shouldn't it have happened a dozen times by now?"

Wang Yonghao froze again, his brow creasing in deep thought, and started pacing. She waited patiently, gathering up the healing pills she dumped into her knife chest back on the glassy fields back into their bottle.

"Twice, I think," he finally said, turning back to her, "I… wasn't the main target though, it was other people nearby."

"And did the tribulation attack you?" she pressed, "Harm you in some way?"

"I… don't remember," he said, ruffling his hair, "It was a long time ago… I think… Maybe not? At least, mostly? What does this mean?"

"Well, consider what we know, and what we do not," she said, "we don't know why your luck acts the way it does, but whatever it's true goal, it seems to attract various challenges to you. Let's say that it is caused by some factor X. If we assume X is the Heavens, then it's clear why you have never faced a tribulation - the Heavens have no reason to waste their own precious energy when they can already attract all sorts of other threats to you. But if it was caused by something else, then it wouldn't make much sense. Why should some non-Heavenly factor X throw demonic cultivators, ravenous spirits and ancient ancestors at you, but not a tribulation?"

"You are right," he said, pacing around, "why haven't I seen this before? It's obvious in retrospect. It's not just the tribulation, I almost never have any problems with karmists…"

"It's easy to miss the forest for the trees when you are living in it." She shrugged. "But that brings me back to my oncoming tribulation. Whatever goals the Heavens have for you, they clearly want you challenged, but not dead - and so by simply standing right next to me, you would tie their hands. Out of two hundred odd known forms of the Heavenly tribulation of the refinement stage, a good two thirds are far too indiscriminate, and your mere presence should eliminate all of them. The fewer options I have to prepare for, the easier it will be - now do you see what I mean by your luck not being all bad?"

He looked at her skeptically. She smiled.

"Your luck is just a tool," she said, "a dangerous one, perhaps, but a tool nonetheless. It can hurt people - or it can keep them safe. It all depends on what you do with it."

She paused, to let him take it in. The man had a real problem with being stuck in a funk, and they needed to resolve his issues before he had another panic attack and left her in the lurch.

At first, she thought his mood started to improve - but then he stopped in his tracks, and spun around to face her.

"Oh no…" Wang Yonghao groaned, his breathing speeding up, eyes widening. He clutched his head in his hands. "Oh Heavens, what did you do?!"

"What?" She frowned. What did she say?

"Shanyi, if you are right, then the Heavens will murder you!" He bit his lips, breathing faster. "You said you'd help me get rid of my luck! Out loud, in the forest - they couldn't let you live. They will squash you with all their might!"

"I know," she said, her frown deepening, "what of it?"

"No, you don't understand," he whined, "your tribulation won't be something ordinary - it will be one of the worst ones."

"Yes, I know, Yonghao," she pursed her lips in annoyance, "I am counting on it."

"You are what?!" he said, pulling on his hair.

"The same principle as with your luck," she continued calmly, "it narrows their options, makes it that much easier for me to prepare - playing the best move every time is a poor strategy in many gambles for this exact reason. Of course, if I were in the Heavens' place, I would have picked a tribulation that was less predictable, even if it was also somewhat less deadly - but the Heavens are known for their wrath, not their cunning."

He stared at her in shock, before his legs gave in, and he fell down on his knees.

"No, no, no…" he said, covering his face in his hands, "You can't do this."

"I can do whatever I want, Yonghao," she said, raising her eyebrows in surprise, "that's what it means to be a cultivator."

"No, that's… You can't just kill yourself on my behalf!" He moved his hands away, and grimaced sadly. "Because that's what this would be, you realize?"

"To cultivate is to rebel against the Heavens, Yonghao, and no rebellion is free from danger," she said, "Heavens already tried to murder me when they sent that fish after us in the forest, I suspect - and it did not change my mind on the righteousness of my promise in the slightest."

"You are in the middle of the refinement stage! Going up against the best the Heaven has to offer is not rebellion, it's suicide!"

She pursed her lips. "First of all, I am on the cusp of entering the high refinement stage - six out of seven of my dantians are already unlocked. With another month of training in your Inner World, I might get there - in terms of my raw spiritual energy capacity, there is not much more to go."

Dantians were the areas where spiritual energy was stored within a cultivator's body. If meridians could be compared to rivers - constantly flowing, but narrow - then dantians would be lakes, deep and expansive. From birth, all dantians in a human body were "locked", storing only a small fraction of their true capacity due to the same impurities that blocked the flow of spiritual energy through the meridians. Through cultivation, they could be purified, and greatly expand the power of a cultivator - which is why how many dantians one had unlocked was one of the primary measures of advancement through the refinement stage.

Traditionally, the refinement stage was split into four substages: low, middle, high and peak. A nascent cultivator was considered to have entered the low refinement stage once they have unlocked at least one of their dantians, and created at least a single contiguous pathway for spiritual energy - finally allowing them to practice spiritual energy circulation techniques. Once they have cleared all twelve of their primary meridians of impurities - not completely, but enough for the spiritual energy to flow freely - and unlocked three dantians, they were considered to be in the middle refinement stage. Once all of their dantians were unlocked, they would enter the high refinement stage.

Peak of the refinement stage stood separately from the other three: once all dantians were unlocked, there was little else one could do to expand their raw spiritual energy capacity. Instead, the true measure of entering the peak refinement stage was whether you were ready to reforge your flesh, challenge the heavenly tribulation, and ascend into the building foundation stage - and to do that safely, you had to have purged your meridians of all impurities. The difference between the strength of the peak and the height of the refinement stage was thus relatively small.

"Shanyi, you are grasping at straws," Wang Yonghao said, not convinced by her deflection, "Six dantians? You need all seven! That's almost a twenty percent difference in your spiritual energy capacity - going without it is like tying one of your hands behind your back."

"It's a weakness, but not an insurmountable one," she continued, shaking her head slightly, "on top of that, I had purchased very good pills and talismans. This town has plenty of cultivators - and you are here too, of course, as well as your protective luck. I have memorized all the most dangerous forms of the heavenly tribulation, as well as the advice on overcoming them. I am as prepared as I could be."

"Oh yeah? You think you are prepared?" He glared at her. "You are a gambler, right? So what are your odds?"

She bit her lip. It was a damn good question. She could dodge it, but…

The truth was, she already knew the answer, and it scared her.

"Twenty percent," she finally said, "there's a lot of uncertainty, obviously, but… Twenty percent I come out the other end unscathed. I expected to only have a couple days to prepare, before, so perhaps it's higher now - but not by much."

Wang Yonghao closed his eyes.

"You can't even say it's better than a coinflip," he said faintly.

"I am not in the habit of lying for no reason."

They stood together in silence.

"What was the vow, again?" Wang Yonghao finally broke it, "To make me train as hard as I could for a month? Fine, I'll do it."

"No."

"What do you mean, no?" His eyes flew open and he stared at her in shock.

"It means no, I won't let you do this." She crossed her arms. "This is a problem mostly of my own creation. If you want to help - help, but I won't push it off on you."

"Shanyi, you will die!"

"Even odds I'll end up crippled instead," she said, "but there is no other way."

"What do you mean there is no other way?" he said, leaping up onto his feet again. "I could just train! I hate it, but I'll do it -"

"No, there is no other way." Her lip twitched in annoyance, and she let out an exasperated sigh. Did she really have to explain this? "Look, you said it yourself - if the Heavens are behind your luck, then they will want to kill me for helping you get rid of it. This one, singular tribulation is not the problem - it's all the shit that will come after it. This isn't just about me not wanting to make you cultivate - though of course forcing cultivation on you is just a hair short of turning you into a cauldron. This isn't even about sticking it to the Heavens - though fuck every single celestial individually for making either of us go through this. This is about their fucking vows. I need to beat it into their thick angelic skulls that I will never go along with their bullshit, that any vow they put in front of me I will break, even if it might kill me - because otherwise, they will scheme, and they will cheat, and they will contrive things to force me into one vow after another, until I am nothing more than their hand on your throat."

She ran a hand through her hair to calm herself. "I knew things would come to this when I made my promise - I just didn't expect it to be this fast."

"Forcing cultivation on me?" he said, completely ignoring most of what she said, "Isn't that exactly what you are doing by telling me I can't help you?"

"You don't want to cultivate - we both know this. I am not forcing you into anything."

"Well what if I do?" He scowled at her. "What if I am fine cultivating to save a friend's life?"

"This is sophistry." She narrowed her eyes at him. "you don't want to do it. That you also apparently want to save my life changes nothing about you not wanting to cultivate."

"Oh so what?" His scowl grew deeper. "Are you going to stop me?"

"I won't stop you - I'll just tear up the vow in my mind the second you try, and risk transcending the tribulation on the spot," she said calmly, "It won't matter one bit how much you cultivate after that - the Heavens are strict in their dealings. If the vow in my mind is gone by the time I leave your world fragment, the deal is off, and lightning comes out."

He crossed glares with her, but she held steady, and he looked away with another groan. He walked off towards the edge of the world fragment to sulk, and she took the opportunity to check up on the rice again, deciding it was best to give him some space.

When he returned, his face was even more ashen than before.

"I never should have come to the Golden Rabbit Bay," he said, his voice hollow, "this is all my fault. I should have known better - my luck warps everything, and now even you, the one person who wanted to help me, are trying to put your neck in the path of a flying sword. And you won't even let me do it instead. It's bad enough that I have to go through this, but why does it have to turn people around me into maniacs?"

"Yonghao," she said, giving him a flat stare, "what are you even talking about? I've wanted to fight the Heavens since I was five, sitting on my mother's lap, listening to stories about cultivators. My decision has nothing to do with you in particular - you just made it a lot easier for me to do so."

"Of course it has to do with me!" He waved his arms around erratically, "How else do you explain this path you are dead set on?"

"Not everything that happens around you is due to your luck."

"Oh come on." He scowled at her. "Really? This is what you tell me? After all that happened to you, you still say it's not down to luck?"

"Yes, Yonghao, this is what I'll tell you," she said, her lips twitching in annoyance again, "that's not how luck works, Heavenly or otherwise - and if you insist on ascribing everything to luck, you are just flat out wrong."

"Since when are you an expert on luck?"

"This doesn't require expertise." She sneered. He was really starting to get on her nerves. "This is the basics."

"Yeah, I think I know a bit more about luck than your "basics"."

"Do you know why my birthplace is called the Golden Rabbit Bay?" She spun to face him, and poked him in the chest with one finger. "Used to be, the bay was covered in a dense forest all the way down to the shore, full of demon beasts. Among them there was a certain species of rabbit, its fur as bright as gold, and legs as quick as lightning - a most vicious predator. See, it had this luck - it would always come at you from the one direction you weren't watching, at exactly the worst moment. And if you tried to chase after it, you'd always miss it, always take the wrong turn among the trees. Impossible to hunt, and far too dangerous to leave alone - and so no human lived anywhere within a hundred miles of that forest, and only a rare few used the river flowing into the bay for trade."

She pushed herself closer still, baring her teeth, and poking him in the chest again.

"Do you know why I say 'used to be'?" she said, lowering her voice dangerously, "because there are no more Golden Rabbits. Because eighty years ago, when cultivators had enough, we surrounded that damn forest, and burned it all to the ground! And the thing is - once there were no trees to hide behind, once all cultivators were looking in the same direction, once the clouds of rain were chased off, once there wasn't even a single hole in the walls of fire and death sweeping through the landscape, nothing for the little rabbits to slip through, then their luck didn't amount to shit. They simply died. Because luck needs something to work with. And so now, we have a beautiful city, with gardens that are the envy of all the empire - for plants only grow stronger among the ashes."

Wang Yonghao pushed her away, and she didn't resist.

"Luck can push you towards a better path - but if there is no path, then it's not going to make one for you," she continued, "It can't manifest things out of the aether. It can't make your strikes stronger or faster. All it does is shift things, rearrange pieces, but it's just that - a rearrangement. Do you know why you found me in that restaurant? I suspect the Heavens wanted someone to motivate you to cultivate harder, and I fit well enough to their blind eyes. I cultivate hard, after all. I taught outer disciples in my sect. Would it not make sense that I would force you to cultivate hard as well? To a celestial, blind to the nuances of human motivations, it must make enough sense - and there simply are very few options for women who could keep up with the sort of bullshit your life is made out of. And so luck rearranged things, and we met - but that was a fuckup on their part, because I am not who they imagined me to be."

"Oh, so you admit our meeting was due to my luck, huh?" He scowled at her.

"Of course I admit it." She snorted, and pulled out the jade slate for the Three Obediences Four Virtues, waving it in front of his face. "See this manual? I found it in that sect ruin you stumbled into after kidnapping me. It's perfectly suited to my constitution. This cannot be a pure coincidence - this had to have been a little gift from the Heavens to sweet talk me into sticking around with you - and no doubt yet another reason why they chose me, for how many undiscovered manuals were in easy reach of the Golden Rabbit Bay? But I never said that nothing is down to your luck - just that not everything is."

"And how could you possibly know that?" He swept his arms wide, "look at this! An entire Inner World, full of treasures! All of this, luck! Who are you to know its limits?"

"You decided to pick the treasures up." She scoffed. "Luck only brought you to them - which is nothing unusual."

"And I decided where to run, didn't I? But you still said the manual you found was down to luck, even though it served you perfectly!"

"Not much luck needed to lead a drunk fool where he needs to go."

"So what, it can affect my decisions, but not yours?" Wang Yonghao laughed, and his face split into a fake, arrogant grin, "that is stupid. How do you know your decision to battle the tribulation isn't just down to my luck trying to fuck me up again by seeing someone die right in front of me?"

She clenched her teeth, rage settling into her heart. It flooded her all at once, and she didn't even know where it came from.

"What?" she said, her tone cold enough to liquify air.

"Luck can affect the decisions of other people, right?" he said, "That's how it draws people to me. So how do you know it didn't affect you?"

"It was my decision, Yonghao," she said, barely managing to keep her tone level, "even if I was drunk or high on pills, it would still be my decision. Luck does not mindrape people, its influence is always subtle."

"Subtle?" He looked around the world fragment again, "You call this subtle?" He turned back to her, and snapped his fingers at her face. "Fine - tell me this. You said you got those scars by slipping on the glassy fields? How did that happen?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, and paused, giving herself a moment to let her burning rage abate. It did not help in the slightest.

"I arrived in Reflection Ridge, and needed to cross to get to you," she finally said, "rain started, and I got caught up in a flash flood, and was almost swept away downstream. A couple scars is nothing - they will heal by morning. What are you leading to?"

'Oh, 'rain started'?" He laughed again, the annoying sound raking at her ears, "Well, tell you what - when they pulled me into their hunt, Jian Shizhe said he was preparing to hunt shamblers, and just waiting for the first rain of the season to do so. It flushes them out of their hiding spots, you see - and then I arrive in town, and of course it's time for the rain to start. Won't you say this is down to my luck?"

"What of it? I already know your luck could be dangerous to those around you."

"But it's not just dangerous! My luck tried to kill you, again!"

"Yonghao, the vow in my mind was still whole - still is," she said. "The Heavens would have had no motive to kill me. You are grasping at strings."

"So what if they have no motive?" He snorted. "My luck is not just the Heavens, it can't be. My luck still works right here, in my inner world - where you say the Heavens are blind. It still lets me run away from problems that the Heavens bring to my plate. Whatever is going on with it, it's at least somewhat independent - and since I was trying to run away from you, wouldn't my luck try to kill you?"

She took a step back. That…was a good point.

"Still my decision," she said, her voice wavering for a moment, "nobody forced me into the hurricane."

"Was it though?"

"Yes it was!" she scowled, her mind flashing back to her talk with Junming. If she spent less time talking to them, she would have gotten ahead of the waters. "Of course it was, you asshole! I could have asked for help, I could have waited until morning - I simply assumed that crossing was safe because the one person I asked did not say it was dangerous!"

"Was it though?" His grin grew wilder. "You told me a lot about assumptions, and how you shouldn't make them - and you are saying you 'just' made a mistake? 'Just' assumed wrongly?"

"Yes I did! I make mistakes too!"

"Fine. Let's take what happened in Xiaohongshan. Spirit hunters came after you right when I left - clearly luck, no?"

"Stop being ridiculous." Her scowl grew wider, and she clutched her hands into fists. "You've just said you shouldn't assume things - in Xiaohongshan, your luck was not at fault. The empire requires all sword sales to be checked. The exact same thing would have happened if I tried to sell the swords halfway across the world, knowing what I did at the time. This was simply a natural consequence of bureaucracy."

"A check?" He quirked his eyebrow. "Well why did you try to sell the swords in the first place then?"

"I did it because I didn't know about the damn check," she said, "and because I didn't listen when you told me about it. See, I - stupidly - assumed that all your problems were down to luck, and not actual fuckups on your part."

"Yeah, but you could have decided to sell all sorts of things - demon cores, for example." Wang Yonghao laughed. There was a mad, masochistic twinkle in his eyes. "Why not sell those? What, more stupidity? You should really get your head checked."

"Because the first thing any merchant with half a brain would ask me is 'what kind of beast did it come from', you imbecile." She bared her teeth in full. "Which I couldn't fucking answer, could I, because you don't remember anything about your own treasures! And they would check my answer - there are techniques for this, though not ones I am familiar with. And then what would they assume? That I somehow slaughtered and butchered a demon beast without even remembering its form? No, that I stole the damn core! They don't simply get left to lie around in sect ruins or inheritance shrines, cores go bad and sometimes explode if stored improperly, and most spirits would happily eat any they come across. It is plausible that a loose cultivator could stumble on a small, unexplored ruin, and find a sword in a good condition. Hell, it's even somewhat plausible they could stumble on one out in the wilderness - demon beasts savor the flesh of their kills, but leave the weapons alone. But what is not plausible is that they somehow stumbled on a loose demon beast core."

"And what about that core from the fish?" He laughed at her again, the sound breaking through the blood pounding in her ears. "Could have sold that."

"Because I forgot we had it, you piece of shit," she hissed, raising her hands up between them. She wasn't sure if she wanted to pull at her hair or strangle the man. "I made the plan to sell the swords before we fought the fish, did not re-evaluate, and so didn't bring it with me."

"Doing a lot of forgetting around me, aren't you? Awfully unlucky."

"My plan," she hissed, "my execution, and my fuckup. Where the fuck does your luck even enter the picture?!"

"Well, if not for my luck, you wouldn't have made such a shitty plan -"

She punched him in his arrogant fucking mouth.

Last edited:
I mean, he has a point. A plan with a 20% chance of surviving intact and a roughly 40% chance of surviving as a 'crippled' cultivator is a bad plan.

If nothing else, it would make sense for him to be willing to cultivate hard for at least, say, a few days to buy her some more time to prepare for her predictable tribulation.

And honestly her obsession with absolutely not carrying out the vow, when it's something he's willing to do for her, does make me wonder if something's been tampering with her mind. This is not the kind of clever lateral thinking we normally see from Our Heroine when she's dealing with external challenges or threats.

"Are you suicidal?!" He shouted at her, "Why would you ever make a heavenly vow you intended to break?!"

"Oh relax." She snorted at him, bringing the large cut of mushroom to a cutting board to dice it up. "I wasn't just being a bit reckless."
Yes, you were being more than a bit reckless. That's what Yonghao said.

"I didn't know it would be safe for sure, but sometimes, you have to take a risk to confirm your theory." She shrugged.
This is why Yonghao calls you reckless. It's also why you're so fun to read! Most "rational" protagonists don't get themselves into this much trouble.

"Your luck is just a tool," she said, "a dangerous one, perhaps, but a tool nonetheless. It can hurt people - or it can keep them safe. It all depends on what you do with it."
I don't know why I'm quoting Shanyi being Shanyi today.

"No, you don't understand," he whined, "your tribulation won't be something ordinary - it will be one of the worst ones."

"Yes, I know, Yonghao," she pursed her lips in annoyance, "I am counting on it."

"You are what?!" he said, pulling on his hair.

"The same principle as with your luck," she continued calmly, "it narrows their options, makes it that much easier for me to prepare - playing the best move every time is a poor strategy in many gambles for this exact reason."
Shanyi's not playing cautiously, working to minimize her risks. She's reckless, ambitious, playing to maximize her rewards.

"Twenty percent," she finally said, "there's a lot of uncertainty, obviously, but… Twenty percent I come out the other end unscathed. I expected to only have a couple days to prepare, before, so perhaps it's higher now - but not by much."
She probably didn't know everything she used to make that estimate when she locked herself onto this path, but still. Absolute madlass.

"What was the vow, again?" Wang Yonghao finally broke it, "To make me train as hard as I could for a month? Fine, I'll do it."
Predictable.
Also predictable.

"Of course it has to do with me!" He waved his arms around erratically, "How else do you explain this path you are dead set on?"

"Not everything that happens around you is due to your luck."
Five yuan says Shanyi's hardass attitude is part of why she's the girl Yonghao drunkenly picked a fight with and threw into his inner world.

"I suspect the Heavens wanted someone to motivate you to cultivate harder, and I fit well enough to their blind eyes."
From a certain point of view, you are encouraging Yonghao to cultivate. "To cultivate is to rebel against the heavens," so to rebel against the heavens is to cultivate.

I mean, the heavens would probably tribulate Shanyi if she tried to use that loophole, but my argument isn't wrong. At worst, it's silly.

"Still my decision," she said, her voice wavering for a moment, "nobody forced me into the hurricane."

"Was it though?"

"Yes it was!" she scowled.
One effect can have two causes!

Maybe this is just my familiarity with Pact and Pale, where karma works more or less the way Shanyi is arguing luck does, but this makes perfect sense. In a broad sense, Yonghao's luck arranges things in a certain manner, but the individual things got there following their own inner logic. To paraphrase Garnet Crystalgem, luck just controls the boat; water flows downhill on its own.

I'm struggling to consciously explain this, but it makes intuitive sense to me. If only Yonghao was the same.

"Well, if not for my luck, you wouldn't have made such a shitty plan -"

She punched him in his arrogant fucking mouth.
I'm not sure if Shanyi is angry about Yonghao calling his plan shitty, or him implying she isn't in control of her plans. The former is more viscerally insulting, the latter is crueler to someone with Shanyi's values around free will and stuff, and they're kinda contradictory impulses.

And honestly her obsession with absolutely not carrying out the vow, when it's something he's willing to do for her, does make me wonder if something's been tampering with her mind. This is not the kind of clever lateral thinking we normally see from Our Heroine when she's dealing with external challenges or threats.
I think it's less something tampering with her mind and more that she sees doing so as obeying Heaven's Will and no matter how much he is willing to cultivate it requires her to do, at least in one matter, the very thing she abhors. Breaking the Vow is more about saying "fuck you" to Heaven than it being hard to fulfill.

I'm not sure if Shanyi is angry about Yonghao calling his plan shitty, or him implying she isn't in control of her plans. The former is more viscerally insulting, the latter is crueler to someone with Shanyi's values around free will and stuff, and they're kinda contradictory impulses.
Feels like the second. She has had no issues admitting she did something stupid. Admit that she got thoroughly played by Heaven is another matter.

I think it's less something tampering with her mind and more that she sees doing so as obeying Heaven's Will and no matter how much he is willing to cultivate it requires her to do, at least in one matter, the very thing she abhors. Breaking the Vow is more about saying "fuck you" to Heaven than it being hard to fulfill.
Her obsession with this pushes us to the point where I have to ask whether she's under some kind of adverse mental illness or just plain fucking insane.

Because she's fairly literally "courting death," as it were.

Or possibly willing to settle for dating death's cute sister, "crippled cultivation," instead.

Back