Questionably Soteriological: A Puzzle/Mystery Quest with Kids, Science, and Fun!

{BELLIGERENCE} | MARS | {MOVEMENT III}
{BELLIGERENCE: MOVEMENT III}

TURN I: LUNA ASCENDANT (60 NIMBLENESS)
> <CLASS MACHINATION> [SILENCE IS GOLDEN]
[Kala can become UNDETECTED without the need for a NIMBLENESS CHECK]
[KALA is now UNDETECTED]
[INVISIBLE INC] is now active! [+30 ÉLAN]
(VIT: 200)
(ÉLN: 40 [+30])
(SG: 20)

TURN II: MARS ASCENDANT (25 NIMBLENESS)
> <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT> [...FIRE!] (ST: 15)
[Makes TWO SALVOS of ATTACKS that can hit MULTIPLE TARGETS]
- > <ATTACK: PRIMARY SALVO>
[!!!] The <ATTACK: PRIMARY SALVO> was ABSORBED by the SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT [SPEEDY THING GOES IN...]
- > <ATTACK: SECONDARY SALVO I>
{ATK (5) (40) | DEF (29) ACU (45)}
{45|74}
[ATTACK FAILED]
- > <ATTACK: SECONDARY SALVO II>
{ATK (15)(40) | DEF (28) NIM (25)}
{55|53}
[ATTACK SUCCESSFUL: 40 DMG]
-> <ATTACK: SECONDARY SALVO III>
{ATK (45) (40) | DEF (27) NIM (60)}
{85|87}
[ATTACK FAILED]
<Make one <ATTACK> on a random ADVERSARY>
> <ATTACK> LUCY CALLOWAY
{ATK (31) FST (80) | DEF (45) ACU (45)}
{111|90}
[ATTACK SUCCESSFUL: 80 DMG]
(VIT: ???)
(ÉLN: ???)
(SG: ???[-15])

TURN III: MERCURY ASCENDANT (20 NIMBLENESS)
> <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT> [...SPEEDY THING COMES OUT](ST: 10)
[ATTACK AUTO-SUCCESSFUL: 80 DMG]
(VIT: 190 [-40])
(ÉLN: 225)
(SG: 20 [-10])

TURN IV: SATURN ASCENDANT (0 NIMBLENESS)
> <CLASS MACHINATION> [DEDUCTION FOR DUMMIES]
[MARS' MINUTIAE MATRIX can now be viewed!]
(VIT: 220 [-80])
(ÉLN: 157)
(SG: 25)

NAME: Timothy ????????
APPEARANCE: A towering, twisted monstrosity of bone and crystal.
CLASS: ROUGHHOUSIN' RUFFIAN
LVL: 5
VITALITY: 330/650
ÉLAN: 0/50
ASENDANCY: 0/300
LOST: SPIRITUALLY
CONFUSED: ENRAGED
WORRIED: PREVIOUSLY

STATS

GUM: 10
MOX: 0
ACU: 25
VIG: 50 <+15>
NIM: 30 <-5>
FST: 45 <+35>
LCK: ??

SOTERIOLOGY GUARD: 65/120

<SOTERIOLOGY MENU {BELLIGERENCE SYSTEM}: MARS ASCENDANT: LEVEL VI>
[THERE BE DRAGONS HERE] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 15
- Adds +20 to the FISTICUFFS score of the MARS ASCENDANT USER.
[READY, AIM...] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 25
- Adds +15 to the FISTICUFFS and VIGOR scores of the MARS ASCENDANT USER.
[...FIRE!] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 15
- Launches a PRIMARY SALVO and SECONDARY SALVO, two attacks which can hit MULTIPLE ENEMIES.
[WAR BUDDIES] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 30
- Adds +20 to the FISTICUFFS score of the MARS ASCENDANT USER and anyone in their PARTY.
[CASUS BELLUM] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 40
- MARKS an enemy. Any attacks to that enemy deal DOUBLE DAMAGE for the rest of the BELLIGERENCE.
[THANKS, BASTARDS] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 35
- Reflects damage done during the last MOVEMENT.
[APOCALYPSE HOW] - SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF 50
- Inflicts 100 VITALITY and ÉLAN damage to any enemy who fails a NIMBLENESS CHECK.

With another flicker, Kala is gone again - not that you have much time to think about this when you see the spines of red crystal on Mars' back start to lengthen and glow, illuminated from within with that red light before it screams again and the shards go flying off its back, embedding themselves into the walls of the room, one missing Mari's head by a centimeter. She doesn't even seem to notice, hands moving so quick it's almost a blur as she calls out over her shoulder, "Give me a few seconds, I'm almost done, it's nearly there!" A spear of red rock almost as tall as you are hurtles through the air towards you, the tip razor-sharp, and you're paralyzed. You stare, unmoving, unable to push your mind to think or act or do anything other than panic in stunned silence.

Then, the dizzying realignment in reality happens, a green tint reflected in Owen's eyes as the spear reverses course - it doesn't turn, no, it simply moves as if it had always been aimed at Mars, the momentum conserved and only the direction altered. You stare at Owen in awe - he takes a deep breath and stops to rest, panting, as a fragment of shrapnel from a crystal that shattered against the wall grazes his leg, blood pouring onto the floor. You're so focused for a moment that you barely notice when another fragment sails through the air to leave a nasty gash on your arm. It doesn't hurt as much as you think it should. This all seems unimportant, or unreal, or like it's happening to someone other than you. It's a terrifying feeling, but the terror, too, seems to belong to a stranger.

You look at Mars as it roars and swipes its claws through the air, and a million possibilities open up before you, possibilities where you see Mars billowing red dust or growing another layer of armour or breathing out a white-hot flame. The possibilities multiply, endlessly repeating, before collapsing into one, a snapshot of possibilities condensing themselves into one before you.
[X] Talk to Owen
-[X] Do you remember if Moth had anything with him back when you first met?

"Owen," you call out, blood trickling down your arm and seeping into the lining of your jacket.

"Luce," he responds, weary but still very much alert.

"Did Moth have anything with him, when he arrived?"

"Yeah. A baseball bat. It was funny, 'cause I had a ball, and he had a bat, so between us we could play baseball, if either of us knew how to play baseball. Which we didn't. I think there's hoops?"

"Hoops."

"Yeah."

{BELLIGERENCE! MOVEMENT IV}

KALA (200/300)
[] <ATTACK>
[] <ITEM>
[] <CLASS MACHINATION>
[] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>

OWEN (190/250)
[] <ATTACK>
[] <ITEM>
[] <CLASS MACHINATION>
[] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>

LUCY (220/300)
[] <ATTACK>
[] <ITEM>
[] <CLASS MACHINATION>
[] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>

Last edited:
Goog God, that guy is a monster. Gingganz takes 20 ÉLAN damage.

If I read that right, then we are very lucky that Mars used [READY, AIM...] during the movement where Kala used [SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH], otherwise he could just have reflected that massive damage later.

So he has still more than half his VITALITY. Unfortunately, if we do lots of damage he can just reflect it, and if we don't we may well die before we bring him down. Errm, I would be receptive to some really, really clever ideas.

So much for my first reaction. I guess I better start thinking and try to come up with some intelligent plan.

Goog God, that guy is a monster. Gingganz takes 20 ÉLAN damage.

If I read that right, then we are very lucky that Mars used [READY, AIM...] during the movement where Kala used [SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH], otherwise he could just have reflected that massive damage later.

So he has still more than half his VITALITY. Unfortunately, if we do lots of damage he can just reflect it, and if we don't we may well die before we bring him down. Errm, I would be receptive to some really, really clever ideas.

So much for my first reaction. I guess I better start thinking and try to come up with some intelligent plan.
I don't think we're meant to take Mars down, so much as stall long enough for the elevator to work again.

AFAICT, looking back, we really, REALLY, don't want to strech the fight out.
The remaining SOTERIOLOGY TARIFF will contribute to ASCENDANCY.
This means that he's never going to run out of stuff to power his skills, and as the fight drags on he's going to get more powerful and less human.

Given that he's fighting like a beserker, it might be best to try and provoke him into specific skills, especially if we're going to do large amounts of damage to him.
And remember that he can't attack when his VIT is zero, so a large final attack should also work.

....a thought but what if we tried to increase his elan?

We still have our soft toy? And he's at zero? I guess I'm just stubborn like that, but I'm really tempted to try and give him the toy and see what happens to zero elan folks who suddenly get their elan raised.

I want to try @Andelevion's idea
KALA (200/300)
[X] <CLASS MACHINATION>
-[X] SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH!

OWEN (190/250)
[X] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>
-[X] SPEEDY THING GOES IN

LUCY (220/300)
[X] <ITEM>
-[X] Toss Very Soft Cat at Timothy

Not that this is easy against an enemy who can deal 100 VITALITY and ÉLAN damage.
He is going to lose 150 HPs two movements after this one, unless he renews 'Ready, Aim'.
His +15 VIG buff is only active for 3 movements, and he casted it last turn.
I don't know whether it stacks with itself.

...I really like the idea with the soft toy, as suicidal and improbable as it is.

I like the idea of trying to raise his ÉLAN too. I was sorta hoping we might have something like his baseball bat with us, since that probably would have been a big help in that regard.

KALA (200/300)
[X] <CLASS MACHINATION>
-[X] PHANTOM THIEF

OWEN (190/250)
[X] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>

LUCY (220/300)
[X] <ITEM>

Last edited:
updates yes good

Beware. Math ahead.

So we've got three ways for this fight to end:
1: Fluffify Mars.
Pros: We don't have to kill Mars, if possible this is the easiest path
Cons: I kind of doubt it will work?

2: Mari finishes repairs, party runs.
Pros: We don't have to kill Mars, can avoid most damage
Cons: Slim chance of Mars being a recurring foe
Takes ??? turns- probably <=3

3: Kill Mars.
Pros: Mars is dead, if you count that as a pro
Cons: Probably traumatic, more probably rather difficult.
Takes 3+ turns (We cannot do enough damage to kill next turn or the following. Probable kill on turn 6)

Passing the soft cat off costs an action and a soft cat, and also involves trying to cure berserker rage with a stuffed animal. I've been convinced (perhaps too readily) that it's worth a try.

Other than that, choosing between two and three doesn't need to happen until the elevator is repaired. I don't see any reason to go with option 3 in light of Nevill's infodump, but it's probably worth considering in case something goes terribly wrong.

KALA (200/300)
[X] <CLASS MACHINATION>
-[X] PHANTOM THIEF
If we're stalling until the elevator is up or banking on the Fluffy Cat Gambit, this is clearly the better option, as it increases Kala's survivability.

If, for some reason, we're trying to kill Mars, Kala is either doing Phantom Thief this turn and Sneak attack next, or Sneak Attack this turn, then hide, then Sneak Attack. Phantom Thief gives us a significantly higher probability of landing the kill before Mars goes on Turn 6.

Phantom Thief will add 80 damage per sneak attack, putting Kala up to 225 damage on turn 5. The probability of an attack hitting is .897. The probability of both the sneak attack hitting and the turn 6 basic attack hitting is .803
If Owen's reflect does at least 70 damage, then Kala can land the killing blow at the top of turn 6. If Owen's reflect does at least 95 damage, then Kala won't need to land the killing blow and we have a .897 probability of turn 6 kill.

Sneak Attack Hide Sneak Attack will do 145 damage next turn, and 145 damage at the top of turn 6. The probability of an attack hitting is .785, of both hitting is .785^2 = .617
We need to hit both attacks and Owen's reflect will need to do at least 40 damage for a turn 6 kill.

In addition to the higher kill probability, the +20 Nimbleness is actually a lot of survivablitiy for Kala- in particular it should protect her almost totally from that 100 elan damage attack. I'm feeling pretty confident that Mars will hit for at least 70, given that his basic attacks do 80 damage- so the higher reflect requirement isn't really germane.

OWEN (190/250)
[X] <SOTERIOLOGY GAMBIT>
Owen probably only gets two more moves before the fight's done, so no reason not to use this now.

LUCY (220/300)
[X] <ITEM>
Ok so this probably won't work, and we all know it. I'm willing to go along with the gamble though.

Last edited:
Why is Ankara's safety even a factor? She either has made it out of the Maze by now, or she is already dead.

I got the impression that she was deliberately distracting the Minotaur (whatever that is) which would imply deliberately not leaving the Maze. It's quite possible I misunderstood or am misremembering something, and even if I'm not there is a very real chance that Ankara is dead or escaped- but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion.

I think it's kind of a moot point, since whether or not we want to stick around I think Phantom Thief is a better call than Sneak Attack.

Last edited:
"Listen. I have already stayed here too long while I was unconscious. The security of the Labyrinth is currently focused on following me. If I try and make a run for it, successful or not, I should be able to attract enough attention to make your passage through possible, if not quite safe. If you have anything more to ask of me, ask it now. After that, I will try and escape this place, so that you may have a chance at surviving your own attempt. Marinette, your father is in the main building, where, exactly, I do not know."
Putting aside that I doubt there even was a Minotaur, she was meaning to distract the security by making a run for it, offering us the window to escape the Labyrinth. She did, and we did. If she was successful, she is in a different section now searching for the exit, and if not, there is nothing we can do about it.

I don't put much stock in fluffifying Mars, but the attempt itself appeals to me on many levels.

Last edited:
Yup. Definitely misremembered things. I'll go edit my rant.

I admit, throwing a stuffed cat at Mars is really tempting.

Putting aside that I doubt there even was a Minotaur, she was meaning to distract the security by making a run for it, offering us the window to escape the Labyrinth. She did, and we did. If she was successful, she is in a different section now searching for the exit, and if not, there is nothing we can do about it.

I don't put much stock in fluffifying Mars, but the attempt itself appeals to me on many levels.

ftfy.

Back