Princess of Wales: A Memoir on the The Second World War and Origin of Ship Spirits (Kancolle)

Saving Private Ryan for the Omaha Beach assault was such a surprise, left everyone in the movie theater breathless. I remember being on edge the whole movie, although the latter half was all Hollywood. (Much life Fury)

Band of Brothers was brilliant, but The Pacific at least for my brought home the brutality and absolute waste war can be.

For me, oddly enough, it was Fallout 3... First time playing it, after getting out of the vault for the first time, I explored the town ruins and ended up in that elementary school... For me, it was a shocking and brutal experience, seeing the inside of that school the first time. And from the characters perspective, absolutely insanity inducing. In my head canon for a fallout 3 character, its where morality is cracked and continues cracking.......

I don't get out much to watch movies in theaters or even dvds. I can say that certain ones I've watched have affected my perception of war through the years. I mentioned Fallout 3, and thinking about it now, even before then, having seen the entire series of Neon Genesis Evangelion... First anime I saw, and such a mental hospital that was... Yeah, gruesome stuff.

I've long held a fascination of conflict, back in middle school and early high school years, I drew ships, a mix of seagoing and spaceships. Sea side ships were mostly battleships and submarines, space faring had no limit essentially.

I'd draw battleships that were massive, can you imagine an Iowa class having 4 centerline AND at least 2 if not more wing turrets additionally? Heh, thats what I'd draw. Hunt for Red October inspired me drawing various sorts of submarines too.

But space, spaceships were where I really just pushed limits. Using notebook paper, I'd draw ships of immense scale; 1 inch equals a mile sort of scale. Some were inspired by Star Trek, some star wars, and some battlestar galactica. But most of them were in excess of 7 miles long...

Thats how I glorified war in my youth, space battles, sea battles. All indirect violence, what you portray here is very good example of the depravity of up close and personal violence. After I read through these new chapters, I was quite somber for much of the day. Which means that you wrote it right.

I will say that in some aspects, you're drawing the story out too much, that you focus too much on the little details. Still, I like this story just the same despite that.

===============================
As for the image link I posted earlier, that image was found under Prinz Eugen oddly enough. Wowships has P. Eugen on steam as commander, and description reads "...calm under all circumstances..." effectively. My only issue with AL is that they dont allow for realistic regional particulars, aka, German language for German fleet etc. Stupid licensing....

Chapter 52: Distant Thunder
AN: This one fought me... I am really not happy with it, but can't get bogged down now. Here's hoping the next few chapters are better.

Chapter 52: Distant Thunder

To fight on land if to be up close and personal with the enemy. There is no buffer of distance to save your conscience, just swift deadly violence. My first real experience with land combat left me emotionally wrecked. But the war cared not for my feelings, and the battle marched on.

OCTOBER 1 1942
D+22
0614 HOURS

I marched into Commodore Leach's command post just after oh-six-hundred, tired and livid. It'd been a long night on Savo.

The British officer glanced up as I entered. "Commander Hampton?"

"Sir." I ground out.

"Quiet night?" He asked.

"Anything but." I groaned. "Why the hell did you let Wales run off to play infantry? What the hell made you think letting a third of our firepower sideline herself was a good idea?"

His eyes narrowed, but he didn't rebuke me. "I trusted her judgment. Did something happen?"

"Yes!" I burst, and was about to launch into a tirade when shuffling footsteps came from the door.

Wales stumbled into the room, and she looked wrecked. Tearstreaks marred her usually perfect face, and both eyes were not only puffy but had deep dark bags under them. She wore her red uniform, but it too had seen better days, with several bullet holes and tears. Not to mention the dirt, dust, and mud that caked her from head to boot.

I rounded on her immediately, "You!"

She blinked lethargically, "Hou? Did something happen?"

Her eyes met mine. "You fucked up Wales."

She just stared, uncomprehendingly, so I continued. "The Japs jumped us last night." That got a reaction, as her eyes widened. "And now, because you 'wanted to save us from the trauma', Hammann is stuck in the repair bath missing both legs!"

The look of stupefaction on her face was almost comical. I should have left it there, but I'd built up steam now, and I was PISSED. "Are you happy?! Was having Hammann get her stern blown off worth 'saving us from the trauma'!? I fucking TOLD YOU SO Wales! Why didn't you listen to me!?"

Tears were running down both our faces now. Mine of anger, and Wales' of shame. "I- I didn't think- I just-" The battleship stumbled over her words.

"That's right, you didn't think!" I roared, tears streaming down my face. "You thought with that goddamn bleeding heart of yours, and not your fucking BRAIN! This is war! People DIE! There's no room for mercy or fucking kindness! None of us are coming home without killing a bunch of fucking Japs! And, I know this is probably a foreign thought to you Princess, but some of us actually enjoy killing Japs! Especially if it means you can do your goddamn job, as a fucking BATTLESHIP!"

Leach suddenly interposed himself between us. I'd missed him standing up, busy as I was getting in Wales' face. "Commander Hampton, that's enough." He gave me a savere look, "I know you're angry, I would be too." He gestured at the dugout's door. "So, go outside, work out your emotions, and come back in when you're calm."

I grit my teeth. I wanted to yell at Wales more. I was just so damn angry with her. But the Commodore was right, so I turned and stomped out of the room.

The moment I was out of earshot among the palm grove, a wordless scream ripped from my throat and my fist met the nearest tree. With a crack, it splintered, and fell. "FUCK!"

Why did Wales have to have such a damn bleeding heart! I'd be an idiot not to admit how capable of an officer and leader she was, but the moment she had to put us in danger apart from herself or ask us to do something horrible, her judgement went completely out the window. And that wasn't even mentioning her mercy for the Japs.

I stood there, huffing in anger for a couple minutes as I let the anger burn off. If there was any brightside to this whole thing, it was that Hammann's injury would serve as an excellent lesson for Wales.

With a sigh, I turned and trudged back to Leach's dugout, feeling much calmer. I'd gotten my yelling in, now I just had to actually explain what had happened, and get said lesson through Wales' thick skull.

But, as I approached the entrance to the dugout, I paused. It sounded like Wales was… sobbing. A quick peek revealed Commodore Leach holding the battleship in a hug while she sobbed into his shoulder. "It's alright Wales. It's alright." He was saying as he pat her back. "It's alright. You're not a monster."

They stood like that for a few more moments. When they separated, Wales was dabbing her eyes. "I… I'm sorry John. God, what a sorry excuse for a battleship I am."

Leach had just opened his mouth to say something in response when he spotted me. "Ah. Feeling better Houston?"

I gave a curt nod. "Aye Sir."

"Good." He glanced at Wales, "Now, could you both tell me what the hell happened last night that left one of you an emotional wreck, and the other apocalyptically angry?"

I took a deep breath, and started speaking before Wales could. "It was a relatively normal night, until just after midnight." I explained. "At about oh-two-hundred, the southern Savo radar picked up a contact off Cape Esperance, so I ordered the force to sortie and investigate. We were about five thousand yards off the Cape, cruising at sixteen knots when Electra picked up torpedoes on her hydrophones. I immediately ordered the formation to flank and to make evasive maneuvers. Only one torp landed a hit." I grit my teeth, "But those Jap torps pack a punch. It struck Hammann abreast her sternmost turret, and blew her stern clean off. I ordered Sims to pick her sister up, and disengage. Shortly after, we sighted and engaged the Japs. I counted six destroyers. We landed some hits, but they disengaged and made smoke immediately."

The Commodore's brow furrowed. "Only destroyers? You're sure?"

"Pretty damn sure." I replied. "Made no attempt to engage us beyond the initial torpedo salvo."

"How come you didn't pick them up on radar?" He asked.

"They were close inshore." I replied, "We couldn't pick them up among the radar clutter from the shore."

"Bugger…" He muttered, "And how's Hammann?"

I shook my head, "It's looking like two to three months in the baths."

I heard Wales make a strangled noise behind me, while Leach blew out a breath. "Could be worse…" He sighed. "Alright. Moving on." His eyes went past me, and I turned to see Wales behind me, eyes still puffy and red. Leach sighed again. "What happened, Wales?"

The battleship visibly grimaced. She opened her mouth to speak, paused, closed it, then finally said. "Do you know what happens, when- ...When a 40mm shell hits a person?"

I blinked, by mind immediately imagining such a scenario. I knew what a M2 Browning would do, and that gun was powerful enough to blow off limbs. A HE round from a Bofors… Well, there wouldn't be much person left. As far as I was concerned, the Japs deserved it for what they'd done, but knowing Wales, that explained a lot.

"They just… rushed us, across the sand bar." Wales choked out. "I… They were just dark shapes. I kept firing and they… They dropped. It was just so easy…"

"It's alright Wales." Leach comforted, "You did your duty. We face a great evil, in the Imperial Japanese."

"I know. I know." Wales muttered back, wiping her eyes. "If we didn't fight, millions would suffer and die under their rule. But that doesn't make me feel much better."

"Understandable." The Commodore nodded, "I don't fault you for that, Wales. You're both dismissed. Go get some food, and some sleep." A small smile appeared on his face, "And maybe a hug from Howe for Wales. I'll expect an AAR as usual from you, Houston."

"Yes, Sir."

1831 HOURS

Why did Humanity have to be like this, I wondered. Why were we so self destructive? So smart, yet so blind? Staring up at the clear blue afternoon sky through the palm canopy from where I laid in my hammock, I just couldn't find answers.

I hated this war. Sure, from our side, if there was ever a just war this was it. But that didn't change the fact that it was still a stupid pointless war that the damn Nazis and Japanese militarists shouldn't have started in the first place. The fact that those two groups even existed demonstrated the sheer stupidity mankind was capable of. They were the furthest thing from smart and rational I could think of.

But they did exist. So, here I was, halfway around the world, laying in a hammock just outside our bunker on an Island no one had heard of until now, trying to calm my guilty conscience.

"Hey Wales." My head swiveled to the source of the voice. Houston strode over, looking just as tired as I felt. "Couldn't sleep?" She asked.

"No," I muttered, "I only got an hour or two."

"Already having nightmares?"

I nodded. "It's going to be a month or two before I can sleep well again." I gave a sad laugh, "That's how it was with Hood…"

Hou grunted, "Yeah. We've all lost someone by this point."

I glanced over at her, "Who'd you lose?"

The cruiser sighed, "I knew Oklahoma and Arizona. We weren't that close, but I'd still call 'em friends."

"Well, at least they went down in shallow water," I remarked. "May be able to temporarily refloat them and get them off their hulls after the war."

"Hopefully," She muttered.

We both went silent for a few moments, me laying in my hammock, while Hou leaned against a palm.

"Wales…" She finally spoke, "I'd like to apologize for this morning. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that."

I sighed, "I'm sorry too. You were right. I made a bad call. I should have sent you or Boise." I felt tears welling in my eyes again, but I fought them back, "I just hope Hammann can forgive me…

Hou gave me a serious look. "I forgive you. Just always try and remember Wales: The mission, the battle, and the war, come first. Sometimes you're going to have to set aside that bleeding heart of yours."

"I hate that you're right." I grumbled.

"That's war." Hou remarked.

"How's Hammann?" I asked.

"She just woke up." Hou replied. "You should go check on her."

"Of course." I replied, already climbing from my hammock.

I entered the repair bath a couple minutes later. Now that one of the baths was in use the entire room was humid, and muggy. Hammann was sitting in one of the hottub-like baths, eyes closed and head laid on the tiled rim.

The dirty blond haired destroyer looked fine as I approached, but a close look revealed her missing legs, hidden under the water. "Evening."

She glanced up at my voice, eyes fluttering open. "Hey Wales."

"How are you holding up?" I asked, taking a seat beside the bath.

The destroyer shrugged, "I'm fine. Hurts like a bitch, but I've had worse." It never ceased to amaze me how blase Hammann could be. She continued, "Japs won't get me like that again."

"Good to hear," I smiled. "Can I get you anything?"

She shook her head. "I'm fine."

I patted her head. "Alright. If you do, let us know."

1948 HOURS

About an hour later I found myself entering John's dugout again, "Evening, Sir."

His head shot up, "Ah, Wales. We have a situation."

My heart skipped a beat. "What is it this time?"

"Intel suggests the Japs are planning a carrier raid." He explained. "According to the spooks, they've just left Truk."

My brow furrowed, "I thought all the Nip's carriers were sunk or damaged at Midway…"

"Apparently not," He replied.

"How many?"

"Two-to-three," He said, offering the paper report. "Though I'm not sure how much I trust that after Coral Sea."

"You and me both." I muttered, taking the file and leafing through. "Do you think they'll send a surface force in?"

"I expect it, yes." John muttered, "Even if the report says otherwise."

"Right. I'll make sure the girls are ready."

I'd be damned before I let us get caught flat footed again.

I can understand Houston anger but she should realize that against the attack she and TF79 faced Wales presence wouldn't have changed much of anything. Especially for the initial torpedoes barrage.
And the mortar round would have been much more effective on an armorless destroyer whose protection is mostly against splinter.

Chapter 53: For What it's Worth
Chapter 53: For What it's Worth

Twenty days into the Guadalcanal campaign, the IJN knew three things for certain. One, the Americans had air supremacy over Guadalcanal, thanks to the airfield. Two, the ferrying troops and supplies to the island with destroyer-transports was not working, and IJA elements on the island were heavily outmatched without further reinforcements. And three, there was a pair of bloody British Battleships contesting the waters around the island, who only seemed to appear in combat. And two of those could be solved by direct application of aircraft carriers to the problem. So, the stage was set for Kaga and Enterprise's second duel of the war.

OCTOBER 2 1942
D+23
1212 HOURS

"-ales? Wales! WALES!"

I jolted awake, heart pounding and lungs panting, my eyes zooming around the darkness in panic. I felt utterly terrified, adrenaline jolting me to full awareness.

But it was the same adrenaline that allowed me the clarity to see my little sister kneeling beside my bed, barely lit by a small lantern on the ground. "Wales? Are you okay?" She asked, worry written on her face.

"Howe? I…" I paused, my rapid panicked breaths slowing as my tired mind realized what was going on. "Was… Was I having a nightmare?"

She nodded, "Are you okay?"

I slowly got my breathing under control as my body calmed down, "Yeah. Yeah. I'm alright." I ran a hand down my face, "Sorry. Did I wake you?"

She nodded, concerned. "You were yelling in your sleep. What was your dream about?"

What had I been dreaming about? I glanced to the side, pulling at the strings of my memory. It felt so close, like I should know, but like so many dreams only fragments remained. Fragments of smoke, blood… And death.

"I don't remember…" I muttered. Perhaps it was better that way. I groaned, "Sorry for waking you, sis. You should get some sleep."

"But where are you going?" She asked, as I stood and began throwing my white uniform on.

"For a short walk to clear my head." I replied.

Somewhat to my annoyance, my little sister also stood and began getting changed. "Then I'm coming with you."

I sighed. "Fine."

I really hadn't spent much time during daylight on Guadalcanal, I mused as Howe and I walked along the beach near the bunker. It really was a beautiful place, with white sand beaches, and gorgeous turquoise waters. It really was a tropical paradise… Other than the heat. I still couldn't stand the heat.

It was such a shame we had to tarnish it with our stupid war. Even now as we walked, there was just the faintest hint of an oily sheen to the water, and a small dark line at the high tide mark. Fuel oil, from the over a dozen ships that had so far been sunk in Savo Sound.

I paused, my younger sibling mimicking me, and turned to gaze over the otherwise unremarkable patch of sea. How many men had already died aboard those that had gone down?

"What are you looking at, sis?" Howe asked.

"Just thinking, Howe." I replied. I gestured out at the sea, "There's going to be a lot of wrecks out there when we're done. I certainly hope we aren't among them."

Howe's face turned just as melancholic as mine, faced with the possibility of her death. It wasn't as if the thought was strange to either of us. We'd both sunk before, after all. "Well." She started, "There's a reason the sailors are calling it Iron Bottom Sound."

I blinked. That was a new one. "Which sailors?"

"The ones aboard the last supply run yesterday. At least, that's what Houston said." She replied, rubbing the back of her head.

"Huh." I muttered, turning back to the sea. A fitting name. I had no doubt a great many ships would rest on said seafloor by the time the war moved on. The only question was, how many? It was a good thing ours were able to get their second chance, in such an event.

"Wales?"

"Yes?" I replied, glancing back at Howe, who'd adopted a look of curiosity.

"What peace like? Before the war?" She asked.

I paused, surprised by the question. "When is your launch-day?"

"April ninth, nineteen-forty." She replied.

My face was aghast in sudden realization, "You've never known peace." My younger sibling nodded. I glanced away for a moment, trying to figure out what to say.

"Peace is… Well, it's a lot less stressful." I began, "You don't have any worries, if that makes sense. You don't have to fear the loss of your sisters or friends, nor for yourself. No concern that you may have to fight a battle, and kill or be killed." I sighed, mind going back to that first summer spent in Dido's quiet company. "Peace is a warm summer's afternoon spent under a tree's shade with the company of a friend and a good book…"

Howe adorably tilted her head to the side. "That sounds… nice."

"It is." I replied. So much nostalgia. "I was such a different person back then…" Mostly because my memories had been locked away. It reminded me of how I'd been in my teen years, actually. I'd been as if the clock had turned back fifteen years.

"It all seems so far away now," I sighed, turning back to my sister. "You'll get to see for yourself soon enough. We just have to win this war first."

Both our eyes turned back out to 'Ironbottom Sound'. As a SHIP, it was quite a morbid name. Unsaid was the fact that we'd have to head out there again and again, gambleing our lives each time we met the enemy.

"We're going to make it through this, right?" Howe asked, voice wobbling slightly.

I wanted to say yes, but I had no doubt my sister would see through that lie right away. She may have been somewhat innocent, almost seeming naive at times, but she'd sunk, same as I. Neither of us had any illusions of invincibility. "We do what we can." I muttered, mind flashing back to the previous night. Not all wounds were physical, it seemed.

"If it helps," I continued, "Us KGVs are bloody hard to sink. It was pure luck that did us both in. And now, if things go bad, we can always run ashore or put on a lifevest and drop our rigging."

My sister gave a small nod. "Right. Of course."

"We will survive, Howe. I promise." I reassured her.

"And what about you?" She asked. "You're having nightmares…"

I sighed. "It's normal. I had nightmares about Hood nightly after Denmark Strait. And more after I sank." I still occasionally did, I didn't say, though they were luckily far less common now.

"Oh." My sister paused with a sad look crossing her face. "I did too."

I blinked, "You did?"

She nodded, looking miserable, and continued in a small voice. "Most… Most of my crew were left behind. The U-boats…" A look of anger overcame her, "They sank Lance while she was trying to pick up my crew."

My eyes widened, I hadn't known that. "How many survived…?"

"Just over six hundred." My sister muttered, despondently.

Six hundred survivors. Which meant over nine hundred dead. It made my lost three hundred seem platry, by comparison. So many good young men, dead. I pulled Howe into a hug. "I wish I could say it gets easier." I muttered, closing my eyes to hold back the tears, "But it doesn't."

Howe just hugged me tighter, "Thank you Wales."

I blinked, "What?"

"You're the best big sister I could ask for." She replied, a small smile on her face. "I love you."

My eyes widened, and a smile appeared on my face. "I love you too, sis."

OCTOBER 4 1942
D+25
0240 HOURS

The more nights we spent on Savo's beaches, the more the mountainous little island began to grow on me. On the nights the Japanese didn't show up for a fight, which was most of them, it was almost a paradise. The normally scorching heat dropped off in the dark, making things almost comfortable, and it didn't rain too often.

Tonight was one of the rainy nights though. We'd rigged up a tarp between three trees at the edge of the treeline to give ourselves a dry spot. And, as was tradition, Boise had happily made a campfire under it which we'd gathered around. Hou was helping Sims cook a chicken over the fire, Andie was trying to teach Hammann to play guitar, Perth had joined the E's with some playing cards, and Boise and Howe were chatting and cooking marshmallows.

Jup had ended up cuddling up on my lap. "Wonderful weather we're having here, eh Wales?"

I glanced down at the destroyer to see her gazing out at the rain. "Quite. Though it has nicely cooled things off."

"It's almost peaceful. Being here, just listening to the rain pitter patter off the tarp," Jup said softly.

I nodded. "Aye... Though I'd hate to fight in it. Visibility will be near zero..."

"I bet the Japs wouldn't like it much more," the destroyer shrugged and shifted to look up at me. "We might just sail past them and never notice til someone starts shooting."

"Depends if our radars pick them up." I muttered, staring off into the darkness.

"That's a big if…" The destroyer pointed out.

"True." I replied, "To damn true…" I gave her head a pat, "And what about you Jup? How're you holding up?"

"I'm doing alright. Haven't gotten into trouble, unlike some people…" Jup trailed off and glanced across the fire to look at the three E's.

"Heh." I smiled, "Thank you for that."

"I figure it's only a matter of time before they get bored again and do something even more boneheaded than stealing Houston's plane," Jup returned her gaze to the rain just outside the tarp.

"I'd be more surprised if they didn't…" I muttered. "Do warn me, if you get wind of such?"

"I'll do my best!" She beamed.

"You getting along with the Sims'?" I asked.

"More or less, yeah." She nodded. "Hammann is a bit too excitable for me, but Sims and Andie are nice."

"That's good..." I replied before trailing off. A slight popping reached my ears. At first I passed it off as the fire crackling, but after a moment of listening I realized it wasn't. Rather it was distant artillery fire on Guadalcanal.

I tensed up. Adrenaline spiking. Blood. Dirt. Gun flashes in the darkness. Bodies.

"-ales? Wales!?"

I snapped out of... Whatever that had been, body tense and heart racing. I took a couple deep breaths. Everyone was looking at me with concern. "Wales?" Jup asked, softer, "Are you alright?"

I tried to calm my speeding heart, taking deep breaths. "I... Yes, I'm... I'm alright."

Jup shifted in my lap, and reached up to place a gentle hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. Just focus on the rain."

I closed my eyes, and nodded, letting the pitter-patter of the rain drown out the distant artillery.
What the hell had that been? For a moment it'd felt as if I was back on the sandbar. Then, my mind went to my father. My first life's father. He'd never truly been a part of my life, always drunk and mostly absent. I'd hated him for that through my teen years. Until I'd learned why.

He'd been in the British army in the eighties. He'd met my mother that year, and they'd gotten married. She'd always told me tales of a dashing and courteous young man my father had once been. And then, the year I was born, he'd been deployed to Northern Ireland. To the Troubles.

When I'd learned of it in my mid-twenties, everything made sense. His mood swings, his drinking, the times he'd stare off into space or cry out in fear for no apparent reason. My father had PTSD.

And now, I had the sneaking suspicion I did too. Nightmares, flashbacks. I just hoped I wouldn't end up as much of a mess as he had.

So, I did as Jup instructed. I just focused on the sound of the rain. Slowly, the distant gunfire faded into the background, my breathing slowed, and I let myself calm down.

Finally, I opened my eyes to see Jup's concerned purple eyes. "Thank you, Jup. I needed that."

"It's no problem," Jup said, before pulling me into a tight hug.

She really was like another little sister to me. One that occasionally was the more mature of us, surprisingly. She was always wise beyond her years. After all, she was only four years old. God, I was so proud of her. Finally we separated, "I hate this war."

"I think we all do, at this point," Jup replied. She shifted again, and went back to cuddling up on my lap, watching the rain.

I wrapped my arms around her, and rested my chin on her head. We both sat in silence for a few moments before I spoke again, "When did you start drawing?"

"I picked it up while we were in the States. It's rather helpful for staving off boredom without dealing with the E's," Jup replied, pulling out her sketchpad. She flipped through the pages until she found what she wanted, and showed it to me. She'd drawn a OS2U Kingfisher, clearly in mid-flight. The same type that the E's had stolen from Hou.

I snorted a laugh, "Documenting their shenanigans too?"

The J-class beamed. "Their boredom is my profit!"

That got a proper chuckle out of me, "Yes, I suppose their antics do make for some interesting art pieces." I smiled, taking a better look at the art. "But really, Jup, you have talent. This is very good."

Her smile just got wider. "Thank you!"

"What are your plans for after the war? Other than our little cruise." I asked.

"I don't know," the destroyer replied as she stowed her sketchbook. "I haven't been able to experience enough peacetime stuff to really know yet."

"I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it." I replied.

"Yeah. Maybe I'll try a whole bunch of different things, and tell wild stories of stuff that I may or may not have done!" Jup joked, giggling to herself.

"Ah yes, an international woman of mystery." I chuckled, "And I suppose you will physically be an adult by then."

"Now that I think about it, that sounds more like something Electra would do than me…" Jup mused. "Not that I'll ever give her the idea."

"Give me what idea?" Electra asked, looking up from her cards at her name and interrupting our moment.

Jup stuck her tongue out at her fellow destroyer, "Not telling you!"

I chuckled, "Best you don't."

"Awww...." Electra pouted and went back to playing cards with her sisters and Perth.

"And I wouldn't have any of you any other way." I quietly muttered.

0815 HOURS

We'd just come ashore that morning, when I spotted Lieutenant Anderson waiting by the bunker. The American officer perked up as he spotted us. He gave me a nod of acknowledgment as we approached, "Captain."

"Leftenant," I nodded back, "Need something?"

He nodded again, "Aye, Ma'am. Commodore Leach wanted to speak with you."

"Ah." I replied, and turned back to the rest of my girls. "We're done anyway girls. Go get some food and a shower."

"Aye, ma'am." several voices choroused, and one by one the cruisers and destroyers began to descend into our temporary concrete home.

Turning back to Anderson, I gestured, "Lead the way."

We reached Johns dugout a few minutes later to find him tackling his bane: paperwork. Even on this damn island the 'i's had to be dotted, the 't's crossed, and the logistics paperwork signed. No wonder he seemed happy to see me, as we entered. "Captain. Leftenant."

"Sir." We both replied.

"I'll get right to business." John started, stepping from his desk over to the map table.

"This about those carriers, Sir?" I asked, peering down at the map.

"It is." He nodded. "They'll likely be in range to hit us today or tomorrow. If a surface force doesn't follow up the strike, I'll eat my hat."

I nodded. That would make sense. Hit and knock out the airfield to clear the way for a surface force to hit us, and allow reinforcements to land on the island. It was what I would do in their position.

John continued, "The brass think so too. There's a cruiser force that will be arriving just after dark to reinforce us. You'll be under the command of a Rear Admiral Callaghan."

I bit my lip. It'd been a while since I'd had to follow someone else's orders in combat. Hopefully this American was a good commander. "Do we have any carrier support of our own?" I asked.

He nodded. "Wasp and Enterprise have been committed."

"Where are they?"

John shrugged. "Don't know. They didn't tell us nearly that much. It doesn't matter anyway. All we need to do is keep the Japs from landing more troops. The carriers have their job, and we have ours. Just keep your girls in the bunker, we don't need to lose any of you to an air raid."

"Understood, I'll-" I was suddenly cut off by the horrid wail of an air raid siren.

"Fuck!" Lieutenant Anderson cursed, "We need to get to the bunker!"

"Agreed" John nodded, and with surprising speed for a man of nearly fifty, bolted for the dugout's entrance. Tom Anderson and I shared a surprised look, and took off after him.

As we jogged to keep up with John, the roar of aero engines began to become audible. I feared the worst for just a moment, before a F4F Wildcat buzzed past overhead, gear still coming up as it scrambled into the air. It seemed the Marine aviators had gotten ample warming from the air search radar we'd placed on Savo. It was good to see the Japs wouldn't get a free run at us.

After a mere two minute run the three of us reached the bunker. I entered last, closing the heavy armoured steel door behind us. Descending into the living space, we found the rest of my girls, minus Hammann, lounging about. It seemed they'd be just as surprised as us by the siren, with Howe, Jup and Ennie already in their pajamas, hair still a bit wet from their before-bed showers.

Hou was the first to speak as we entered. "Jap carrier planes?"

I shrugged, already settling on one of our chairs, "Most likely. We'll just stay down here and ride it out."

"Right." My second agreed, before everyone fell into a nervous silence.

A minute passed. Two. The silence became stifling. Luckily, it seemed Andie agreed, as a moment later the American destroyer began picking away at her guitar.

Some of the tension seemed to bleed out of the room, as the soft sounds of guitar strings filled the room. After a moment, she switched the chord progression. I recognized the song instantly as one from the collection of records I'd given her.

A song from another time, and another equally brutal war… It'd been one of my Mother's favorites.

Then she began to sing.

"Theres something happening here~
What it is, ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there~
Tellin' me, I got to beware"

I joined in for the chorus.

"Think it's time we stop! Children, what's that sound, everybody look what's goin' downnnnn~"

Andie gave me a nod, and let me sing the second verse.

"There's battlelines bein' drawn~
Nobody's right, if everybody wrong~
Young people speakin' their minds~
Gettin' so much resistance, from beeehind~"

Andie joined again in the chorus.

"Think it's time we stop! Hey! What's that sound, everybody look what's goin' downnnnn~"

And so, as explosions began to sound, and our haven began to shake from the detonating bombs, we sang.

AN: A chapter on a weekday? Why? Simple: Wow. Two years. Its been two years since I posted the first chapter of PoW. Wow. I really dunno what to put here. Before this story, my longest writing project was a mere 25k words written over three months. And here we are, two years and 230k words later. I never thought I'd find a concept that so enthralled me as to write this much, nor characters I love to write. Nor, of course, that any more than a handful of people would ever read my crazy story. So thank you, to each and every one of you reading this. You're a big part of why my motivation is still going like hell (To the point that I can bull through chapters like this one that don't want to be written). And thank you to everyone who's gotten involved and written Omakes.

And huge thanks to all my friends who've proofed, edited, or otherwise helped with the story. Especially @vren55 and @Lady Darkhound. I always run to you two when I get stuck or need proofing, or just need help, and you always deliver.

So, here we are, about halfway through the story now, and I just got through the last chapter before a set of ten that I've had planned for literally years... Buckle up. This is about to get interesting.

Me I'm more wondering if LtRaibowSlash I going to let The Grey Ghost keep her luck and her hull through this war. The one ship the japanese think they sank and see again as a steel hull and not as a SHIP.

Chapter 54: The Third Battle of Savo Island
Chapter 54: The Third Battle of Savo Island

As the carriers traded airstrikes far out to sea, we met the Japanese as we always did: Up close and personal, gun to gun. I just hoped Admiral Callaghan was up to the challenge.

OCTOBER 4 1942
D+25
1630 HOURS

War can change incredibly fast. At one moment, one side can be winning, and the next, the other side. A day ago, the Guadalcanal campaign had been going well. We'd had both naval and air superiority, and the IJN and IJA had been struggling to not only take the airfield, but land enough troops and supplies to do so.

And now, Henderson Field was covered in the smoking wrecks of American aircraft.

The Japanese carrier pilots had done thorough work. The Marine aviators were far from rookies, but none of them had fought Zeros flown by well trained and experienced IJN pilots. Half of the Wildcats that had gone up to intercept the carrier strike had either been shot down, or shot so full of holes as to be writeoffs once they landed. Worse, VMSB-141, who'd done such great work in their Dauntlesses, only had four operational aircraft. The rest had been destroyed or damaged on the ground. Luckily, the damaged aircraft outnumbered the destroyed, and they'd be back up to strength in a week or two. But short term? We were in trouble.

However, the marine aviators lived up to their aircraft's name. Not an hour after the raid, the four intact SBDs were climbing away on their daily search mission.

By the time I woke up late that afternoon to get ready four our night patrol, they'd found a Japanese surface force, just as John and I'd expected.

The sea was calm as we sailed through Iron Bottom Sound, if marred by a few squall lines. We we headed East, to link up with TF18 at the Sealark channel, between Florida Island and Guadalcanal. It was a narrow passage, and not without risk, thanks to how bad our charts of the area were. The more usual route took friendly ships around the southern side of the island, before looping around from the west through the Savo Strait.

But just earlier today, there'd been reports of Japanese Subs just west of Savo. Really, nothing to fear. After all, I had the three E's and Jup as escort. If there was one thing I knew RN destroyers were best at, it was Anti-Submarine Warfare. But even then, the best way to avoid getting a torpedo sent up ones' skirt, was to simply avoid them in the first place. Hence TF18's unusual route.

Speaking of TF18, I was curious who exactly we'd be working with. I knew it was a cruiser force, commanded by Mr. Callaghan, but beyond that info had been sparse. Understandable, of course. Even in coded communications, infosec was a priority, just in case the codes were, somehow, broken.

So, as any woman with an overabundance of curiosity and a severe lack of info, I resorted to gossip. Though to call it such was a bit harsh.

I let my human form spin from where I was ailing at the head of our formation. Our main column was nice and tight, in order to speak without radios, though the DDs were further out in a proper screen. Looking past my sister, who was right behind me, my eyes landed on the third and fourth in line. "Hou? Boise?"

The two cruisers gave small starts as my voice pulled them from whatever they were doing to stave off boredom: Tinkering with something in Hou's case, and daydreaming in Boise's. Two pairs of golden eyes met mine. "Yeah?" Hou replied.

"Think we'll meet anyone you know today?" I asked over the sound of the sea and wind.

The two Yanks exchanged a look, and laughed. Hou was smiling when she turned back to me. "Hell yeah. I've met pretty much every cruiser in Pac-fleet at one point or another. I guarantee I'll know most of the girls."

Boise nodded, "Same. I've met most of them too, I think. Everyone passes through Pearl at one point or another, so you bump into them, and have a chat."

Hou nodded, turning back to me. "Bit of a silly question Wales. I mean, you know all the Brit battleships, right? Why wouldn't I know most of the cruisers?"

I blinked. "But I don't?"

Boise raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean you don't?"

"I've only been commissioned for a year and a half," I replied with a shrug. A small nostalgic grin appeared on my face, "I was only at Scapa for two months working up before they threw me at Bismarck." I'd been so innocent back then, spoiling for a fight. No previous life's memory, no pain. Just me, a young, hot blooded battleship.

"Two months would be enough, wouldn't it?" Boise asked.

I sighed, "Only a few of the home fleet capitals. Jerry shot the hell out of me, so I was off to the yard for a month after Denmark Strait. Then it was off to Newfoundland with the Prime minister. And after that I had maybe… two weeks… I think? Something like that. And then I was off to Singapore." I shrugged again. "I've only met Elizabeth, Nelson, and Rodney. Hell, I haven't met half my sisters yet. Only KGV, and Howe here." I explained, giving my little sister a smile. She beamed back.

My eyes met Hou's again, and for a few moments they were full of pity. "I always forget how young you are, Wales. You've never known peace, huh? 'Least as a warship."

I shook my head, "Not in this life, no."

"Well, it's just something you get from peacetime service." The heavy cruiser explained. "You get around, meet other ships. After a few years, you end up knowing a lot of ships." Both Boise and Perth nodded in agreement. "We'll find out who we'll be fighting with soon enough." She finished.

"Speak of the devil." Boise cut in. "Surface contact, bearing zero-eight-seven. There they are."

I spun back around as my own lookouts called out their own sightings. They were little more than smudges on the horizon, but they were definitely ships. And only one fleet was transiting the channel this evening.

I keyed my radio. "Task Force Eighteen, this is Task Force Seven Niner. Are you receiving?"

Silence stretched for a few moments before a staticky American voice replied, "Seven-niner, this is eighteen, you're loud and clear."

I gave a small smile, "Welcome to Guadalcanal, eighteen. Naval battle capital of the world. We have you in sight. We're just to your…" I checked my internal compass, "About two-six-seven. Just outside the end of the channel."

"Understood…" A pause, "Can't quite see you against the setting sun."

I opened my mouth to reply, but Hou spoke up instead. "Hey, Wales? Can I reply?"

I glanced back at her, "Whatever for?"

She bit her lip to hide a rapidly forming smile. "I think I recognize the one speaking."

Ah, yes. That would do it. I gestured at the distant friendly ships. "By all means then."

The Texan boat keyed her own radio. "That you, Nora?"

There was a pause, but sure enough the voice from before came back, excited. "Houston? Is that you lil' sis?"

"Eeyup. Been a while, sis." Hou replied with a grin. I couldn't help but smile. It was always great when my girls got to see their sisters again. I certainly remembered how good it'd felt to see Kay in New York again. Hou's happiness was infectious.

"It's damn good to hear from you." 'Nora' spoke again. "We can catch up when you come aboard. But back to business. The Admiral wants you to loiter at the exit of the channel until we arrive, and then to come aboard for a quick Captains' conference."

"Understood." I replied. "See you soon eighteen."

It took about forty-five minutes for TF18 to reach us. Once they did, we pulled alongside the leading cruiser. The moment the eleven of us climbed aboard the USS Northampton, my normally stoic second in command Houston was off like a shot. I couldn't help but smile as my friend wrapped her older sister in a hug.

'Nora' absolutely looked like Houston's sister. She wore a similar outfit, with a sort of pseudo dress shirt, armoured corset, pencil skirt, and hose. Her face definitely shared a resemblance with her younger sister, as did her golden-green eyes, and golden blonde hair which she wore straight.

Still smiling, I turned back to the business at hand. I turned to the stern, and gave a salute to the flag. Then another turn back to the man with the admiral's rank on his shoulders, who'd been waiting for us as we'd come aboard. I gave him another salute. "Sir. Captain Gwen Windsor, HMS Prince of Wales." I introduced myself, "Task Force seventy-nine is at your disposal."

He returned my salute, and I took a moment to look our temporary CO over. Daniel Callaghan was a tall man, who had nearly two inches on me, and I had to admit, was quite easy on the eyes. He had a handsome face, with a chiseled jaw, and I'd've taken him for a man in his late thirties, were it not for his wholly white hair. "Welcome aboard Captain. I am Rear Admiral Callaghan. Who're the rest of your ships here?"

I blinked, "They didn't tell you either? I'd've thought you had clearance." Nevertheless I began to point to my girls. "This is my younger sister, HMS Howe. Behind her are our light cruisers USS Boise and HMAS Perth. These are the three E-class destroyers, HMSes Electra, Express and Encounter. The blond there is HMS Jupiter, and beside her are USS Sims and USS Anderson." With a small smirk I turned back to look at Hou and her sister who were happily chatting away. "And chatting with your flagship there is her sister and my 2IC, USS Houston."

"Ah." He nodded. "I was wondering why Commander Hampton was so excited." His eyes gained a far off, but fond look. "I know how it is to miss your siblings.

"Indeed." I nodded. "Indeed…"

I took another glance back at my girls, only to be surprised at the sudden appearance of several more spirits appearing on the deck. One, a redhead, almost immediately glomped Boise.

The Admiral turned back to me, still smiling. "Let's let the ladies get to know one another. We have some operational concerns to discuss."

"Lead the way, Sir."

A few moments later I found myself following Callaghan into Nora's officer's wardroom. A large chart covered the main table, and various papers were scattered around. "I was just briefing my officers." The Admiral explained, stepping over to the head of the table where most of the papers were. He rummaged through some of the papers briefly before pulling one out.

"I received this from Admiral Halsey with our orders to link up with you." He explained, holding it out to me. "Old 'Bull' wants to standardize TBS between steel-hulls and SHIPs, so it's got callsigns for every ship in your fleet."

My brow furrowed as I took a paper. "Does he believe the Japs can listen in to chatter between spirits?"

"No," He replied, "But usually we don't believe our codes are broken, and yet we cycle them anyway."

"Understandable, I suppose." I muttered. Though to be honest, that just felt overly paranoid. Either way, the brass commanded, as we obeyed. Holding back a sigh, I began to skim the document, only to immediately pause. A choked noise escaped me.

"Captain?" Callaghan asked, concerned.

"Princess?! Really?" I groaned. "It's enough the press calls me that. And now it's my bloody callsign?"

The American officer raised an eyebrow. "Not to your liking?"

I sighed, "No. But I suppose I'll just live with it." I gave another annoyed grunt, but began to read the rest. It rapidly became clear whoever had come up with these had a sense of humor, and also had access to our personnel files, as well as John's reports.

Howe was Duchess in reference to my own callsign, Houston Gunslinger, Boise was Archer, and Perth Surfer. As for the destroyers, Jup had been assigned Sketch, Electra Lightning, Express Daredevil, and Encounter Minder. Finally, Sims was Sweets, Hammann Hellion, and Anderson Singer.

I had to admit, they weren't the worst radio callsigns I'd ever seen. It was better than someone just picking random words at least.

"Anything else, Sir?" I asked, stowing away the file. I'd share it with the others once we were done here.

"Lots." He replied. "Formations, emcon, radio procedures…"

"Oh, joy."

Half an hour later, after sorting out the details with the Admiral, I emerged back onto Nora's deck. The sun was setting, bathing everything in orange light. My girls were mingling with the hull-bound spirits of TF18 on Nora's stern.

"Evening everyone." I spoke as I approached.

Normally, my girls were very informal with me, and I with them, despite being their direct superior. I preferred it that way. I considered them all friends, and hoped they felt the same way about me. I found it led to excellent morale, and built a lot of trust between the twelve of us.

But, we were currently in public, and we couldn't have anyone thinking we were a lax outfit, now could we.

"Attention on deck!" Hou snapped, the moment she saw me. All twenty-three spirits present snapped to attention.

"As you were." I replied, and everyone relaxed. The thirteen TF18 girls all ended up looking my way, so I took the opportunity to introduce myself. "It's a pleasure to meet you all. Captain Gwen Windsor, battleship Prince of Wales. I look forward to working with all of you."

Northampton stepped forward, Hou tailing her, along with another cruiser I didn't recognize. "It's good to meet you, ma'am. I'm Northampton, but please, call me Nora. Hou's spoke very highly of you. I hope my younger sister has met your standards?"

I smiled as I shook her hand, "And then some. I couldn't ask for a better second. She can hold her own in a fight, and frankly, I think she's an even better leader and officer than I am."

Nora smiled, and ruffled her sister's hair, "Damn Hou, setting a high standard for your big sister to live up to."

"Noraaa!" Hou honest to goodness pouted. Houston. My tough as nails Texan XO, was pouting. I couldn't help but raise a hand to hide my giggles at seeing one of my best friends acting like a destroyer.

I turned to the other cruiser, as the two sisters caught up. "And you are?"

The pony-tailed brunette smirked, "Portland. Ole' Hou likes you, so you're good in my book. But try to keep up, Princess." She smirked, flipped her ponytail, and turned to help Hou escape her sister's headpast. I rolled my eyes, and turned away.

Leaving the three CAs to catch up, I spotted Boise standing beside the redhead from before. The two were chatting and sharing a cup of coffee. Now that I could get a good look at the two side by side, they were definitely sisters. The new girl was about the same height as Boise, and wore an identical outfit of a white button up top and black skirt. The only real difference between the two was her face, which was just a bit more rounded and young looking, as well as her reddish brown hair and green eyes.

"Is this your sister, Boise?" I asked as I approached the two.

"Oh, hey Wales." Boise replied, "Yeah, this is my younger sister Helena. Sis, this is my flagship, Prince of Wales."

"It's nice to meet you, ma'am." The light cruiser said as we shook. "Japs are going to have a hard time with you two BBs around."

"Damn right they will." Boise butted in before I could reply. "Wales here can take an absolute pounding and keep going. She draws the fire so we can put out six-inchers to good use."

"Heh. Quite." I remarked, turning to Helena. "The amount of shells I've seen your sister spit out is utterly ridiculous. I look forward to seeing what two Brooklyn-class can do."

Helena smiled back, "Well, as my hothead of a sister here would say; Double the guns, double the fun."

Boise smirked. "Japs DDs won't know what hit 'em!"

"I'm certain they won't." I chuckled. "I'll let you two catch up. A pleasure to meet you, Helena."

"Likewise!"

With that, I wandered off. I had more ships to meet. It always paid to know those you fought with, if only for the base level of trust it created.

My eyes landed on Perth. She was chatting with another pair of American cruisers. Sisters, by the looks of it. Both wore the same white striped button up shirt, with a camouflage gray skirt held up by… suspenders? Ship spirit outfits are weird. One of the two wore her reddish hair in a pair of short fluffy twintails while the other wore her blue hair in a bob, similar to my own.

"Hello, Perth." I greeted. "Making some new friends?"

"Something like that, mate." The Aussie replied. "This is-"

"Atlanta, lead ship of my class." The redhead finished, quietly but confident.

The other sister smiled, "And I'm her younger sister Juneau."

"A pleasure." I replied, glancing off the stern at their distant hulls. "Are you six-inch cruisers, or…?"

"Five-inch." Atlanta replied. "I saw your secondaries when you were coming aboard. Are those five-inch thirty-eights?"

I nodded, "Yes. Had them refit at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, in place of my old five-point-two-five inches."

"Are they Mark twenty-nine mounts?" She asked.

"No, they're twenty-eights." I replied, "Same as the South Dakotas and North Carolinas."

"Eh, same thing." The light cruiser shrugged, "Just more armour on the twenty-eights."

"You use Mark twenty-nines then?" I asked.

Both of them nodded. "Full battery." Juneau replied, "Three fore, three aft, two on the waist."

I blinked. "What's your tonnage?"

"Around seven thousand tons depending on load." The younger sister replied.

I gave a low whistle. "And you have my entire secondary battery."

Perth smirked, "Oh yeah. Between me, these two, you and Howe's secondaries," She shot a thumb over the shoulder at Boise and Helena, "And those two turret farms? Jap DDs and CLs aren't going to know what the fuck hit 'em. I mean just between us CLs, we have seventy, five and six inchers to point at the slanty eyed cunts. Add in the DDs and we got over a hundred barrels."

She was right. That was a lot of firepower. Glancing around at all the ships I ran some quick calculations in my head. I knew 79 had over a hundred main and secondary guns, and adding 18's firepower… We easily had over two hundred guns 4.7-inch and bigger.

I almost pitied anyone who stumbled into our sights. Almost.

"I suppose I'll leave the Nip DDs to you girls then." I smiled. I turned to the two Americans. "A pleasure to meet you both."

"Likewise." Atlanta replied. And with that, I moved on again.

And immediately froze as I saw Electra and Express speaking with a blonde American destroyer, while a second in a similar outfit watched. With a sigh, I began to trudge over. Better to nip things in the bud before they got any dumb ideas.

But, much to my delight, they wern't roping her into some stupid scheme. No, she was chewing them out for suggesting such a scheme in the first place. "-Honestly. We're officers! You're better than this."

"Is there a problem here?" I asked as I approached.

The destroyer looked up, her blue eyes meeting mine. "Nothing major, ma'am." She replied, "Just trying to teach these girls some responsibility."

"If that were possible, I would've done so long ago." I replied, giving the two E's an amused glance. Turning back I gave the destroyer a quick once over. She was on the older end for a destroyer, with her physical age being somewhere around sixteen or seventeen if I had to guess. She wore a modified blue sailor suit with yellow neckerchief and a white skirt, and tall gray metallic boots. Her blond hair hung long, but with two small loops on the sides from her head held up by a metal hair piece.

I held out my hand. "HMS Prince of Wales."

Her shake was firm, "Lieutenant Faye Faith Fletcher, USS Fletcher. First of my class."

"Ah." I nodded, "I've heard of your class. You're the new big modern destroyers."

She smiled, "That's us!"

I glanced over her shoulder at the other destroyer. She was definitely another Fletcher. She wore nearly an identical outfit, with the only differences being a black skirt instead of white, and an orange neckerchief. She had the same golden hair, but done up in short twintails, and golden-green eyes.

I turned back to Fletcher, and gestured. "You sister?"

The name-ship spun, smiled, and nodded. "Come on O'Bannon. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself."

The other destroyer blinked, meekly, "Um. Okay. I'm, uh. I'm O'Bannon."

Fletcher gave me an apologetic smile, "Sorry. Bannie's a bit shy."

I gave the younger of the two my best reassuring smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, O'Bannon."

"Y-you too."

OCTOBER 4 1942
D+25
2342 HOURS

I'd only known Admiral Dan Callaghan for a few hours, and I already knew he was many things. Calm. Logical. Caring. But by god, was he stubborn.

That was why we were under orders to keep sailing with our radars bloody off. Our biggest advantage, gone, because some bloody idiot who's word the Admiral trusted more than mine had told him the Japs could pick up our radars on a specially made RDF set. There was a chance he was right, but we'd had no indication or intel of such. And they'd certainly not had any such device the last two times we'd met in battle. But no matter how much I'd argued, he'd denied me.

But, as we sailed towards Savo, I felt naked. Having to rely on my and my lookouts eyes, I felt blind. I couldn't see a damn thing in the darkness, where normally I had a semi-decent sense of my surroundings. So, finally fed up with being dumb and blind, I decided this definately fell under 'putting us in clear and unnecessary danger'. Our radar was one of our biggest advantages over the IJN. Keeping it off was going to get us all killed. And it wasn't as if he and any way of realizing we'd turned our radars on. We didn't have any sort or radar receiver, and if we didn't, I severely doubted the Japs did either.

"Alright girls." I spoke over the radio, careful to transmit on 79's private channel. "Spin up your radars."

I could hear Hou blinking as she replied. "Gunslinger to Princess. I thought we were under orders not to use it?"

"Princess to Gunslinger. Either I'll be court martialed, or I'll save all of our skins. Switch your radars on." I replied, firmly.

"Understood." She replied.

The moment my radar came on, it felt as if the wool had been pulled from my eyes. I could see. There was Howe and our three cruisers behind me. And behind them the faint traces of Jup, the E's, Sims, and Andie. Savo loomed large ahead, and there was Guadalcanal off to our south.

Ahead sailed TF18. We'd essentially been tagged onto the back of their battleline at my instance, instead of intermingled. I wanted to be able to detach 79 in the event of contact, allowing our two formations to maneuver independently. Callaghan has acquiesced. After all, a twenty-four ship line of battle was unwieldy at the best of times, let alone in a night action.

All eight American DDs led the formation, line ahead, followed by Nora, Portland, Helena, Atlanta and Juneau. I followed the AA cruiser's bobbing red stern navigation light, with the rest of 79 in our usual line behind. The difference being our six DDs had tagged onto the back, rather than screening. The Admiral was wisely concerned about friendly fire, and so wanted to keep the DDs out of the firing line.

An hour passed in silence as we approached the small island. Everyone was tense. I was certainly experiencing pre-battle jitters. The Japanese were here, somewhere. But where?

At 0101 we changed course towards the southern strait, still with no contact. I found myself nervously scanning the dark horizon with my own two eyes. Still, nothing. Where the hell were they?

I was so on edge I nearly jumped when my radio crackled on our task force net. "Archer to all!" Boise's excited voice came, "Radar contact, bearing three-two-two, one-three thousand yards."

"Princess, understood." I replied, "Standby."

I gave my radar a bonk. It'd just started having some issues. The next revolution it picked up the contact. "I have them. Three contacts?"

"That's them." The CL replied.

I hit my radio again, this time on the full fleet net. "Princess to Guard." I called Nora. I'd have to watch my wording. I didn't need Callaghan chewing me out in the middle of battle for turning our radars on. "Possible unknown contact, bearing three-zero-two, about twelve thousand yards."

There was a normal delay as the heavy cruiser no doubt informed the Admiral. Then, "Guard to Princess. Understood, standby."

Satisfied all was in hand, I rang action stations, sending my fairies scrambling from condition two, to one. Guns were fully crewed, and my hoists went into action. Within two minutes, every gun I had was manned and loaded, my main and starboard secondary batteries already slewing around to bear on the slowly closing contacts.

A minute passed. Two. I got impatient, tense as I was. "Princess to Guard," I spoke again. "Contact now bears three-two-two, nine thousand yards. Permission to break formation and open fire?"

Again, there was a pause. And again, "Guard to Princess. Understood. Standby."

I bit my lip. They were right there. What were we waiting for? Had the Nips seen us? Doubtful. I couldn't even see them visually yet, and I knew where to look.

Another two minutes passed. Then three. Then four. My adrenaline was starting to pump. "Princess to Guard," I spoke for the third time, getting agitated now. "Contact now bears three-three-zero, seven thousand yards. They're right there. We're going to have enemy torps in the water any second now. Let us engage."

"Guard to Princess. Understood. We still have no eyes. Where are they?" Nora came back after a pause.

"Bollocks." I cursed. They were still relying on visual contact. "Princess to Guard," I replied, "Let us open up and mark them."

"Negative, Princess. Hold your fire. We need visual ID."

I grit my teeth. "Nora, you tell the Admiral right now, we need to open fire. The Nips are going to be firing torpedoes any second."

"Negative, negative. Hold fire Princess." Nora sounded desperate.

That was it. I was done. "Princess to Guard. I am under direct orders from the Admiralty to veto any orders that place me or my task force in 'clear and unnecessary danger.' I am not getting myself or my fleet blown up because our CO won't listen to his bloody ships! Seven-niner, come hard starboard to zero-two-zero, make twenty-nine knots and standby action to port!"

I think it says a lot about the relationship and trust I have with my girls that not a single one protested directly breaking a superior officer's orders. Even as I finished speaking I was already throwing my rudder into a hard right turn, and traversing my guns left.

Honestly, I didn't have much of a plan, beyond 'turn north and cross their T', but it was better than sailing into a full spread of Japanese oxygen torps. It took a minute to complete the turn, and another to bring my guns to bear, but once I had I gave one order over the radio. "Seven-niner, weapons free, fire at will!"

At 0138, on the 5th of October, 1942, the 3rd Battle of Savo Island began as all eleven ships in TF79 opened fire at four thousand yards.

But this time, the Japs saw us coming. As we opened up, so did they. Several dozen gun flashes lit the night as they returned fire, the formation turning hard to the south, opening up their broadsides.

Despite the close range, the sudden maneuvering threw off our aim, my own first salvo going long. Star shells from both sides began to burst, revealing the watery battlefield. I counted at least ten enemy ships. Cruisers and destroyers. Searchlights on the Japanese ships flicked on, illuminating both us, and the distant TF18.

Then the torpedoes struck, just as they always did. Two, three, four, five geysers of water shot up into the darkness as the torpedo spread I'd predicted found the ships of TF18. I couldn't make out who'd been hit. I was too focused on my own fight.

My second salvo of the battle straddled a destroyer, as the Japanese formation disintegrated. Dozens of shells filled the air as we let loose. Already a Japanese destroyer was burning in the middle of their formation. But it wasn't as if they didn't have teeth of their own. I was at the lead of our column, and the moment a searchlight for a destroyer caught me, I came under withering fire from most of the Japanese ships. Five-inch HE began to burst rapidly all over my hull. A fire began to burn in my superstructure.

But I ignored it all. Sure it hurt. But the small (In naval combat terms) shells had no real chance of damaging my guns or machinery.

Torpedoes did however. So when Jup called, "Torpedoes to port!" I felt my blood run cold. But I didn't freeze. I'd heard that phrase too many times for it to even make me pause.

Now, when presented with an incoming torpedo spread, one has a choice of two courses of action. You can either take the more aggressive action, turning into the torpedoes to 'comb the tracks', or do the same by turning away. I usually tended towards being a bit more cautious, but today? I sensed blood in the water.

"Hard to port!" I bellowed, already throwing my rudder hard over. "Comb the tracks and get into the bastards!"

I swung around, the rest of 79 mimicking me, turning our line ahead formation into line abreast. My forward battery boomed, four shells smashing great holes in a destroyer that was crossing my bow. A moment later the torpedoes sailed by.

And then we were among the enemy. Things happened rapidly after that, as our formation too crumbled, and the battle devolved into a chaotic melee. I bulled through the remains of the enemy line, all guns blazing. My starboard batteries hammered away at what appeared to be a Fubuki-class, while my portside hammered a Shiratsuyu. 5-inchers and AA autocannon fire smacked into me, flattening on my belt or ripping through my upper decks. I came about hard to port, main guns tracking the same Fubuki, and a full ten gun broadside at eight hundred yards put her out of the fight.

I put my rudder back, hard starboard as an old light cruiser of some sort came at me from the right, guns blazing. Her sides were holed and decks ablaze, yet on she came. My own superstructure was well aflame. What a sight us two burning ships dueling must've been.

On the human side, my heart was pounding, and my lungs burned as my engines ran at their limit. Adrenaline coursed through me. I was at war, in a fight to the death. And it felt great. No fear, no anger. Just me, my enemy, and our guns.

I swung around, secondaries and AA guns flashing as the CL bore in. This close I could see she was an old type. A large destroyer, more than a cruiser. A Tenryu, Kuma or Sendai-class then, though in the dark chaos I couldn't make out details.

I'd almost got my main battery around when I realized what she was doing, still turning towards me. I slammed my engines astern emergency, shifting my rudder back port as hard as I could to avoid a ship seemingly determined to turn herself into a five-thousand odd ton torpedo.

She reacted just as I did, turning hard to try and ram. Luckily for me, the angle was too sharp. She crossed my bow a mere tens of yards clear. As she passed down my starboard side, I let my AA guns rake her decks, while my 5"/38s added to the blaze amidships.

And then she was past, two more destroyers taking her place, crossing my bow and pelting me with more 5-inch gunfire. Behind them, I spotted what had to be a heavy cruiser. Quickly reorienting my guns, I set my secondaries to work on the destroyers, while my 14-inchers came around to bear on the dark shape of the cruiser. A few moments later her guns flashed at me. I soon returned the favor with eight 14-inch AP shells.

My aim was bad. 5-inch HE had done horrible things to my fire directors, but at this range, it was hard to miss. One shell struck her amidships.

And luckily, it was only one hit, as my radio squawked, "Ow! Jesus fuck! Friendly fire! Friendly fire!" Nora yelled. "Whichever KGV just shot me, watch your damn fire!" I blinked, immediately lowering my guns and retargeting the destroyers. Sure enough a starshell illuminated my target a moment later, reeling Houston's sister.

"Nora!?" I yelled back, "But you shot at me?"

"I was shooting at the destroyers you idiot!" The understandably pissed CA yelled back.

"Sorry!" I apologized, just before more 5-inch fire began to strike me.

I spun to see three more Japanese destroyers rushing me from dead to port. Again I swung around, opening up with every gun I could bring to bear. You'd think a battleship bringing her guns to bear on a small group of destroyers would dissuade them, but these ones just kept coming. I was forced to put my bow on them and sail between the three.

The following exchange of broadsides was like something out of the age of sail, as we passed in opposite directions. My main battery was oriented to port, each gun firing in a rolling broadside on local control, one by one as the Nip crossed the barrels. My shells slammed into the smaller warship like the hand of an angry god, blasting away superstructure, and blowing gaping holes in her hull.

On my starboard, several well aimed shots ripped through my secondaries, with number six and eight mounts being wrecked completely. My two intact mounts gave as good as they got, though hammering rounds rapid fire into one of the destroyers while the AA guns ripped through her decks.

And then we were past, the two relatively intact destroyers turning away and dumping smoke. The one to port. Well, I've never met a destroyer that could survive eight fourteen-inch and ten five-inch hits. She had lost steam and was already foundering, entire midships and stern ablaze.

Now, finally free of any Japanese warships attempting to kill me, I was able to look around. It was a hell of a sight. Nearly a dozen ships burned, dead in the water. Most destroyers. There was still some occasional gunfire, but it seemed things were winding down, both sides disengaging.

I keyed my radio, turning for Savo, and easing off my throttles. "Princess to seven-niner. Everyone alright? Check-in."

The first voice was that of my sister, much to my relief. "This is Duchess. I'm alright. I have An- Singer with me. She took a torp, so I pulled her out of the water."

"Gunslinger here." Hou replied next. "A bit banged up but I'm alright."

"Archer. I'm fine." Said Boise.

"This is Surfer." Came Perth's pained Aussie twang, "I took a torp. I'm down to twelve knots. Flooding is under control."

"Sketch here." Jup checked in, "I've got Lightning, Daredevil and Minder with me. We all took some hits but nothing major."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. That was everyone. We'd all survived. Battered, but alive. "Oh thank god." I muttered before keying my radio again. "Well done girls. Head for Savo, hit the beach. We'll all meet up and can take stock before we head back home."

Everyone, much to my relief, responded. "Yes, ma'am!"

IJN - 2 Allies - 1

Next chapter we get to see the butcher's bill on TF18 and who'll be joining the Allied SHIP forces

Honestly, I think this might actually be an improvement over OTL. With any luck, Wales will raise enough hell about Callaghan's idiocy that Admiral Wright has his head out of his ass come late November.

Either way, looking forward to Admiral Lee showing everyone what happens when you give one of the best sharpshooters on the planet 9 16"/45 rifles. And seeing if being able to threaten berate yell at talk to her crew means SoDak manages to stop her engineering crew from shorting out her power grid.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
A lot of the older destroyer Captains and others didn't trust radar as well, one of the many issues the US Navy was having.

Chapter 55: The Cape Esperance Turkey Shoot
Chapter 55: The Cape Esperance Turkey Shoot

Third Savo was the first of several 'Barroom brawls' to take place off Guadalcanal, all characterized by the general breakdown of formation followed by the chaotic naval equivalent to an airborne dogfight, albeit in slow motion. The battle had lasted half an hour, though it felt more like a mere five. In the chaotic fight, we'd traded well with the Japanese, doing far more damage than we took. Unbeknownst to us, no less than four Japanese heavy cruisers had been nearby, but in the ensuing brawl they had been unable to lend any supporting fire, unable as they were to tell friend from foe. Further, their cautious commander had refrained from wading into the chaos. We'd essentially won, but as it turned out, the Japanese destroyer squadron had completed their objective, if at a heavy cost. Said objective wasn't to contest naval superiority, as we'd believed, and would soon discover…

OCTOBER 5 1942
D+26
0710 HOURS

The Third Battle of Savo was precisely what one could expect from warfare, I mused as I finally pulled onto the beach near Henderson Field. After all, no battle was fought without casualties. Still, it could've been worse. My girls had suffered no permanent loss, though most of us had damage of one form or another.

I couldn't help but grimace as Boise and Howe helped Andie and Perth out of the water and up the beach. It pained me to see my girls, my friends, hurt. I was an old enough hand at this to know bringing everyone back was enough, even if not under their own power.

John and Lieutenant Anderson were waiting for us at the bunker, as our motley crew approached. "Sir."

"Morning, everyone." Our Commodore spoke, "Good to see you all back in one piece." He gave everyone a lookover. "Go ahead and head inside. Looks like you all need food, rest and some medical attention. I'll get the report from Wales."

The girls nodded, some muttered 'Thank you, Sir', and everyone began heading back down into our bunker.

John turned to me, "That was quite a show last night. We could see all the explosions from here. How'd it go?"

I blew out a breath. "Frankly Sir? Pardon my language, but that was a clusterfuck. Admiral Callaghan… Our communication was abysmal. He didn't listen to any of my advice, and was convinced we had intel that the Japs had some sort of device that could detect our radars. So, he had us turn them off."

John's brow furrowed. "I haven't seen any reports of that."

"That's what I thought." I continued, "So I exercised our veto rights, and ordered 79 to turn our radars on. I didn't tell him, of course. No use getting into an argument."

John hissed, "Let's keep that out of the official report. If the Yanks find out…"

John cut out as Anderson cleared his throat from where he was standing. John grimaced, "Consider keeping quiet as favor Lieutenant?"

Our American liason gave us a serious look. "Depends. Let's let Captain Windsor finish her report first."

John grunted. "Very well. Continue, if you would, Captain."

I gave a nod. "Right. Well, we picked up the Japanese force soon after. I reported it, as a visual contact to avoid an argument, and was told to standby. A few minutes later I again reported it, and again was told to wait. I believe the Admiral was attempting to spot it for himself, and delaying until he did. I called for action three more times, asking permission to open fire, but was denied every time. Then the Japanese maneuvered in such a way that made me believe they'd spotted us and were preparing a torpedo attack. I again asked for permission to open fire, advising they were likely launching torpedoes, and again I was denied. At which point, I invoked veto privileges which I communicated to the flag, then turned Seven-Niner nearly due north and opened fire. Shortly after that, the torpedo spread I'd predicted struck TF18. A second spread came at us, so I ordered everyone to turn into the tracks, and close with the enemy. From there, our formations fell apart, and things devolved into a general brawl."

John nodded in understanding. "And what's the status of 79?"

"Howe, Houston and Boise are virtually undamaged." I replied, "My fore radar and fire director are destroyed. And my numbers three, six, and eight secondary mounts are out of action, as are a few of my AA guns. The rest of the damage is just superficial to my upper decks and superstructure. The three E's and Jupiter are fine, they only took a hit or two each. Nothing major. But Perth and Andie are going to be out of it for a while. Perth took a torpedo amidships which caused major flooding, while Andie has a gaping big hole in her bow from another."

His brow furrowed in thought. "How long until you're back in action?"

"I'd have to hop in the bath for an estimate," I replied, "But likely just under two weeks, if I have it focus only on my guns, radar and director."

"That's not bad." He muttered, rubbing his chin. "With the repair bath, we don't even need to leave. Do you know what happened to TF18?"

I grimaced. I'd radioed Nora for a sitrep after the fight. She hadn't been too happy with me, but she'd stayed professional. And her report hadn't been pretty.

"Of their cruisers, Portland and Juneau went down." I beagan. "Northampton got badly beat up, as did Atlanta. Helena got away scot free. For the destroyers, Cushing, Barton, Sterret and Laffey went down. O'Bannon and Monssen were crippled but able to make steam. Fletcher and Aaron Ward got away clean."

John didn't seem too happy about that. "I assume Admirals Callaghan and Scott survived?"

I nodded. "Yes, Sir.

"There's that at least." He muttered. "And the Japs?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, Sir. I'm quite sure I got two destroyers, but we'll need a full debrief with the girls to get a good idea. Though I want to say, we likely won that, decisively."

"I see. Well, at least the headache will be worth it." He grumbled.

"Headache?"

John and Lieutenant Anderson shared a glance. "You directly vetoed Callaghan's orders, twice." The American spoke. "From your perspective, it sounds like you were right to do so. But he is still going to raise hell with Halsey and Nimitz. Dan Callaghan is a good officer, but he's a stubborn bastard."

John nodded, "And the Lieutenant and I are going to be the ones who have to deal with the political fallout."

I frowned. "Oh."

John waved me off, "You did what you had to, Captain. You did your job. Now we'll do ours."

"Right." I muttered, "Still, sorry Sir. I'd have avoided it if I could…"

"I'll take your word for it," He replied. "Is there anything else?"

"Nothing on my end." I spoke, before curiosity got the better of me. "If you can speak of it, do we know what happened with the carriers?"

John grunted, "Right, you wouldn't have heard. They had little luck. I don't even know if they found the Jap's carriers."

I blinked. "How did that happen?"

He shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine."

"I see. I don't suppose-"

"Commodore Leach!" A familiar yell cut me off. All three of us spun to see Lieutenant Briggs sprinting towards us.

"Leftenant?" John blinked as the young Marine came to a panting stop before us. "What's wrong?"

"Japs." He spoke between panting breaths. "Troop Transports. Unloading."

My eyes widened. "Where!?"

He glanced over at me. "Just down the coast past Cape Esperance." A pant, "One of our pilots spotted them."

John's eyes met mine, wide. "That wasn't a bombardment force…"

"They were a covering force." I finished. "Oh, hell."

I quickly turned back to the Lieutenant. "How many? How far offshore?"

"Four." He replied, finally catching his breath. "Three small, one larger. They've run themselves aground, right up on the beach. Apparently they're still unloading."

I blinked, "Aground?"

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded. "I think they knew it was going to be a one way trip."

I absorbed that. "Can you attack them?"

He gave a small nod. "The pilot who spotted them already did. He reported a hit and a fire aboard."

Good. "Any escorts?"

"No. Just the transports."

I narrowed my eyes. "You're sure?"

He nodded, "As I can be, ma'am."

"Sounds like a trap." John muttered.

I glanced at him. "How so?"

"We had some subs sighted in the area." He explained, "How much do you want to bet they're just off Savo waiting for someone to take the bait and sail through the straits?"

Lieutenant Anderson grimaced. "No bet."

"Well, we have to do something." I muttered, "Seven-niner still has enough ammo and fuel to deal with some transports. I'll send the E's ahead to run ASW, and then take everyone else to hit the Nips."

John gave me a concerned look. "But you're still damaged, Wales."

"I don't need my radar and fore-director to deal with a few Merchies." I retorted. "My turret mounted rangefinders still work, and they're stationary targets."

John grunted. "It's your call Wales."

I nodded, and keyed my radio. "Everyone undamaged enough to be able to take on a destroyer in daylight, get up here ASAP. We've another sortie!"

Silence greeted me for a few moments. Then, the three E's and Jup came dashing back up, food in their hands as they scarfed it down. "What's happening?" Jup asked.

"I'd like to know too." Spoke Hou, as she, Sims, Howe and Boise all came running out as quickly as they could.

"Andie and Perth in the baths?" I asked.

Hou nodded, "They are, ma'am."

"Good." I spun and began to jog to the beach. "Follow me, I'll brief you as we go."

A couple minutes later we'd hit the water, and set off at twenty-five knots. I waved everyone in close, so we wouldn't have to use our radios. "Alright. The flyboys spotted four Jap transports aground just past Cape Esperance, unloading troops and materiel. The force we fought last night was covering for them. We're going to put a stop to that. But, we suspect there will be Jap subs about, using the transports as bait. Electra, take your sisters and sprint ahead to sweep the strait, and make sure we aren't going to be ambushed."

"Yes Ma'am! Let's go!" The eldest E-class present exclaimed, leading Express and Ennie out of formation and up to speed.

Boise smirked as the three destroyers sped off. "Well, this oughta be a proper turkey shoot."

We fell into silence as we cruised along the Guadalcanal coast. I already had my crew at action stations. It would only take an hour to reach Cape Esperance, so it paid to be ready for anything. Ahead, the three destroyers began to open the distance as they steamed at flank.

Things were calm, for the most part. It was a cloudy day, with a light chop on the waters of Iron Bottom Sound thanks to a light easterly wind. I'd noticed we were getting more and more cloudy days, as September became October.

We were about thirty minutes into a journey, when Hou perked up. We'd spread out into our normal formation again, so she had to speak over the radio. "Huh. Smoke, three-four-zero, on Savo."

Raising an eyebrow, I turned my own eyes down the stated bearing. Sure enough, my rangefinder enhanced vision picked out the small column of smoke. The cause… Was that…? I blinked. "Is that a ship?"

It was hard to make out. It looked like a ship, but it was misshapen, and not in a way caused by battle damage. I could see the stern, and it seemed coherent up to the midships area-I could plainly make out two stacks-but from there I couldn't make out any details. Confusing.

"The fuck is that?" Boise muttered.

I hit my radio, "Princess to Lightning. We have eyes on something… Odd on the southern side of Savo."

Electra's voice came back a moment later. "Oh. Yeah, we see it. The hell is that? Want us to investigate?"

"Negative." I replied, "Continue your ASW sweep. We'll have a look. Main fleet, turn three-four-zero."

"Understood."

Now I was curious. What was that?

The answers came ten minutes later, as we closed to within ten thousand yards. Without the morning haze and a much better look, I realised it wasn't a ship. It was two, both run aground on the beach. We came about west, and I was able to get a good look as we passed by.

The first ship I identified as a Sendai-class light cruiser. She was badly damaged, and I could see over a dozen shell hits on her amidships. It took me a moment to realise she was the same CL who'd tried to ram me a mere seven hours earlier. The 5-inch hits I'd scored on her added up. Her stern was completely submerged, while her bow just barely kissed the beach.

She'd have been further up, if it wasn't for her fellow. A… Fubuki? Hatsuharu? Kagero? It really was damn near impossible to tell the difference between all the modern Japanese destroyers. At least from any real distance, and without spending ten minutes comparing entries in my recognition manuals.

Either way, a modern Japanese destroyer was pushed up onto the sand, listing heavily up the beach, perpendicular to the other ship. The cruiser's bow was jammed into her hull just below the bridge, and the two seemed locked together. And, like the cruiser, she was shot to bits. Though the lack of gaping holes suggested she'd been one of the other girl's victims, rather than mine.

Boise chuckled. "Idiots rammed their own ship."

Hou nodded, "They must have collided in the dark. Looks like the cruiser ran 'em both ashore to avoid sinking."

"Agreed." I muttered. "We'll investigate them another time. For now, we have some transports to deal with."

"Right."

With that, we turned back for Cape Esperance. We still had a job to do. A few more minutes passed in silence. The E's were now cruising about up ahead, having broken formation and spread out. They putted along nice and slow so their ASDIC sets could do their job. I watched the three for a few moments. As a battleship, there was something calming about watching destroyers doing their ASW work. It meant you were safe from one of the largest threats to us capital ships.

Suddenly Electra spoke up, almost muttering to herself. "You think you're so sneaky, don't ya, you Nip wanker. That's right. I can 'ear you down there."

To all of our surprise, she'd actually been talking to a sub, as a heavy japanese accent came back, "Fakkyu!"

"No, fuck you!" Electra shot back.

"Fakkyu!"

"No, fuck-! Oh there you are, you sneaky shit! Eyes up, torps in the water! She took a shot at me!" Electra yelled, rapidly accelerating and turning. I could see her glance at us, then spoke again. "Nevermind, those aren't going anywhere near you."

"Right," I replied, "Just remember girls, we don't need kills, we just need them forced deep and kept there until we're done."

"Yeah, yeah. Now let me focus." The destroyer shot back.

So, I did. "Alright, main fleet, make twenty nine knots."

We accelerated, and finally came around Cape Esperance. We'd just turned to follow the coast down to where the transports were when Encounter also accelerated and began dropping depth charges. It seemed John had been right. It was a trap. I just hoped it was only the two subs.

We were only one nautical mile past the Cape when I spotted the smoke, billowing over a small point that blocked our view. A minute later, we cleared it, and we laid eyes on our target. "There they are." I muttered.

As usual, Lieutenant Briggs' report had been spot on. Four merchant ships sat, aground in the surf just off the beach, and not an escort in sight.

Of the transports, one was a bit larger. Somewhere around five thousand tons if I had to guess, the other three were small thousand tonners that were virtually ubiquitous in the world's merchant marine. The smoke came from one of these. Her stern was ablaze from the Dauntless pilot's bomb hit, even as men hurriedly tried to unload her cargo.

The same was happening from the others. Over the side dangled ropes, lowering boxes of materiel to men waiting below in the waist high surf to take them ashore. The larger ship even had a crane mounted on her bow, currently lowering what appeared to be a howitzer.

The range was five thousand yards. "Alright." I began, guns swinging around and insides twisting. I hated shooting at merchant ships. It felt like shooting at defenseless civilians. But, they were carrying war materiel, and therefore were valid and valuable targets. "Slow to twenty knots. Fire at will."

As Boise had said, what followed next was a turkey shoot. At most, each ship had a single four-inch gun to return fire with. We fired, and they died. Howe and I didn't even bother with our fourteens. There was no point. The men on the beach scattered, running for the jungle. One by one the four ships succumbed to our fire, each one going up in a bonfire as what munitions and supplies remained aboard went up in flames.

It only took us a mere ten minutes to destroy all four of them.

"Well, that was easy." Our light cruiser muttered. "What do you figure they'll call this 'battle'." You could hear the air quotes.

"You said it yourself." Hou replied, "The Cape Esperance Turkey Shoot."

"Ha!" Boise laughed. "That'll work."

While the two American cruisers talked, I found myself scanning the beach. All four ships were burning. Weapons and supplies were scattered across the sand, dropped in the Japanese soldiers' flight. I turned my optics on the jungle. A face greeted me. Then two. Then three. Along the woodline, there were easily a dozen Japanese soldiers hiding. Some, much better than others. And if these were the only ones I could see, there had to be more that were well hidden. They were waiting for us to leave so they could salvage what they could.

A week ago, I would've ignored them, and taken my girls home. But now… Now I knew hesitating would cost people their lives. Private Salo's face slipped through my thoughts. Every Jap I let live now, was one that the Marines would have to deal with. Each one, a chance of another Marine losing his life.

Boise spotted them too. "Oh, hey look. Buncha Japs in the treeline."

"I know." I muttered, darkly.

We fell into silence for a few moments, as I struggled with my conscience. There really were no good choices in war. Finally, I keyed my radio. "Archer."

"Yeah?"

"...Kill 'em all."

We were about thirty minutes into a journey, when Hou perked up. We'd spread out into our normal formation again, so she had to speak over the radio. "Huh. Smoke, three-four-zero, on Savo."

Raising an eyebrow, I turned my own eyes down the stated bearing. Sure enough, my rangefinder enhanced vision picked out the small column of smoke. The cause… Was that…? I blinked. "Is that a ship?"

It was hard to make out. It looked like a ship, but it was misshapen, and not in a way caused by battle damage. I could see the stern, and it seemed coherent up to the midships area-I could plainly make out two stacks-but from there I couldn't make out any details. Confusing.

"The fuck is that?" Boise muttered.

I hit my radio, "Princess to Lightning. We have eyes on something… Odd on the southern side of Savo."

Electra's voice came back a moment later. "Oh. Yeah, we see it. The hell is that? Want us to investigate?"

"Negative." I replied, "Continue your ASW sweep. We'll have a look. Main fleet, turn three-four-zero."

"Understood."

Now I was curious. What was that?

The answers came ten minutes later, as we closed to within ten thousand yards. Without the morning haze and a much better look, I realised it wasn't a ship. It was two, both run aground on the beach. We came about west, and I was able to get a good look as we passed by.

Rainbow you horrible tease, for a second there I was convinced it was Abyssal Time!

I think Wales might just walk away from this with another two captured Japanese ships or rather their ship spirits, send them somewhere where they'll be out of the way in a Shipgirl version of a POW Camp.

I'm sure Arkansas and a few of the older Shipgirls wouldn't mind playing playing minder to some Japanese Shipgirl POWs

John and Lieutenant Anderson shared a glance. "You directly vetoed Callaghan's orders, twice." The American spoke. "From your perspective, it sounds like you were right to do so. But he is still going to raise hell with Halsey and Nimitz. Dan Callaghan is a good officer, but he's a stubborn bastard."

I doubt this will go anywhere. You've got a perfect contrast between TF 18 and TF 79.

TF 18 ended the night with 1/2 of its heavy cruisers sunk and the other crippled, and 1/3 of its light cruisers sunk and crippled each. Half their destroyers were sunk, and half of those which survived were left crippled. All told, come daybreak, TF18 had a pair of destroyers and a single light cruiser as the sum of its combat ready forces.

TF 79 ended the night with no losses, and all but two ships ready to deploy the following morning.

Given the immense American casualties, I think Nimitz is going to be annoyed enough at Callaghan to fob him off onto Halsey. Halsey being his hyper-aggressive self, he'd be more likely to give Callaghan shit about being so scared of the IJN that he blinded himself, especially given how many American sailors he just got killed. He somehow fucked up even worse than OTL, managing to switch a sunken light cruiser for a sunken heavy cruiser.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Yes and contrary to OTL Callaghan isn't getting a medal of honor out of it this time. On account of not "heroically" dying to fend off the Japanese.

Chapter 56: Consequences
AN: Written wile very tired so prolly full of typos. Lemme kno if you spot one. Anyways, have fun reading and and imma sleep now, noight.

Chapter 56: Consequences

The Third Battle of Savo left 79 battered. We were all tired, having been on watch every night since just after the landings. We needed a break to repair and rest. In that vein, Commodore Leach was a lifesaver. On the strategic side, we'd significantly blunted the Japanese's biggest attempt so far to turn the campaign around. Sure, the majority of an IJA infantry division had gotten ashore, but we'd blown up most of their heavy equipment, including most of their howitzers, as well as a good chunk of their munitions and general supplies.

OCTOBER 5 1942
D+26
1810 HOURS

It was just before noon when we returned from our sudden sortie. The Japanese transports were smoking wrecks, and every Jap we'd laid eyes on had been plastered by Boise and Hou's guns. The sail back had been quiet. The destroyers had done their job, and while none of them could claim any kills, they'd forced the Nip subs to go deep, and stay there.

The moment we'd come ashore, Sims and Ennie had headed into our small kitchen to get us all fed, while the rest of us descended into the baths. We'd eaten, and then I'd set to doing all the obligatory paperwork on the rim of the bath.

A few hours later I'd managed to chew through most of my backlog, when someone poked my shoulder. I yawned and stretched, before turning to see Jup crouched on the deck beside me. She was easily the least damaged of all of us, having only taken hits from shell splinters and AA guns. "What is it, Jup?"

"The Commodore is upstairs. He wants to see you." The J-class replied.

"Right." I muttered, climbing from the pool. "Tell him I'll be up in a moment."

A few minutes later I'd dried off and thrown on my summer whites over my swimsuit. Climbing back up to the living space, I spotted John waiting near the door. "Ah, Wales. There you are."

"What did you need, sir?" I asked.

"Follow me." He said by way of answer, turning and heading outside.

I did so, following him out the steel door and up the stairs to ground level. We walked out of earshot before he turned to me and spoke. "I've been communicating with Halsey. You've got two weeks to rest and repair. We've still got available cruisers, so they'll be covering Savo in your stead. That said, if they do get engaged, we will be expected to scramble all operational ships. I'm going to need a roster of who is damaged and who isn't."

I nodded, "Excellent, Sir. We need the rest and time off. I'll have my fairies do up a roster for you within the hour."

"No rush." He replied. "Deliver it to me in the morning."

"Of course, Sir."

OCTOBER 6 1942
D+27
0510 HOURS

The moment I'd returned to the bath, I'd been out like a light. Between the battle the night before, and our daylight operation I'd been up for over twenty-four hours. I needed the sleep.

I awoke early the next morning, still half submerged in the bath. With a yawn, I began to quietly climb from the water. Even as hungry as I was, I didn't want to wake the rest of my girls where they dozed in the baths. Notably, only Electra was missing.

I quietly dried off and pulled on my whites, before heading up to the living space. I really needed some food. My quartermaster stomach was rumbling loudly, thanks to the large amount of fuel and shells I'd used in the two engagements yesterday.

"Oh 'ey Wales."

I blinked, suddenly fully awake, thanks to the sudden words. My eyes landed on Electra, who was making something in the kitchen. "Morning." I muttered, wiping sleep from my eyes. "You're up early."

"Makin' pancakes." The destroyer replied. "Promised Ennie and Ex I'd make some for them the other day."

"Electra actually being a responsible older sister?" I chuckled, "I never thought I'd see the day."

The destroyer gave me a deadpan glare and flipped me off. Still chuckling, I headed for our small fridge to grab something to eat. It wasn't big, and mostly filled with snacks. Most of our actual food we kept aboard atop in our own stores.

Eating our own stores was something we'd tried soon after Repulse and I had become SHIPs. Had we been able to, we would have been able to eat our own food aboard, which would then refill both the food stores, as well as our munitions and fuel. It didn't work. Any food we pulled out and consumed simply reappeared uneaten in our stores again.

Though, most of us had ended up abusing that small fact as a way to quell boredom. Been sailing for a few hours and things getting dull? Pull out some snacks from your stores. It tastes good, gives one something to do, and you can eat the same thing again whenever you want without it actually doing anything.

So, for our own food we instead had to take externally sourced foodstuffs and store them separate from our shipboard food supply, where once consumed they would become fuel, ammo, food in our stores for the fairies, and the myriad of other supplies and equipment a warship needed on a day to day basis. In my case I'd bought a freezer and two fridges, and placed them in whatever free space I could find aboard myself. All three had a big 'Not for Fairy consumption' sign on the front.

I ended up putting a small smoked meat breakfast together, and before too long Electra and I were sitting at the table, me eating, her waiting for the pancakes to cook.

Suddenly, she spoke. "We're taking the turrets off Wales."

I blinked, mind blanking. "Pardon?"

"Our number three turrets. Me and my sisters. You saw 'ow badly we were rolling yesterday."

Ah, that was what she was talking about. "You're just going to pull it off?" I asked.

She grimaced. "I almost capsized yesterday."

I acquiesced. "If you think that's for the best, go for it."

With that, we both fell back into silence. As I ate, I couldn't help but look the destroyer over. She looked tired, with bags under her eyes. But then again, we all did. We'd been on active alert every night for almost a month.

Beyond that, I couldn't help but feel something was… off. Idly, I pulled out one of the oldest photos I had, taken back in Scapa, before Denmark Strait. I stood in the back with Kay, along with Repulse and Renown. In front of us were nearly a dozen destroyers. I fought down the feelings of homesickness, and focused on Electra, where she stood at the front, grinning like an idiot.

I glanced between the photo and the destroyer a few times, comparing them. I was right. She did look different. She'd lost some of the baby fat in her cheeks, if only a bit. I bit my lip. "Electra?"

She glanced up, "Yeah?"

I really hoped it wasn't what I thought it was. "Have you noticed any… Changes? With your body?"

She blinked, obviously not expecting the question. "Uhhhh." She glanced down at herself, awkwardly. "Well, I… uhhh. My breasts have been growing? And uhh, I've started getting hair, in ummm, places?"

I sighed, "Damn. I was hoping for another few months."

"What?" She looked at me in confusion, "What is it?"

"Your puberty has started." I replied, gently. "Your body is going to begin changing, rapidly…"

OCTOBER 8 1942
D+29
0845 HOURS

As had all warships, the destroyers had all spent plenty of time around sailors. Further, almost universally, every spirit had invisibly walked in on people 'doing it' at one point or another during their explorations when in port, and I was no exception. Therefore, I luckily didn't have to give them 'the talk'.

What I did have to give the seven destroyers, was a 'puberty talk'. And that was just as awkward as it sounds.

I just hoped they wouldn't get any major mood swings. The last thing I needed was a bunch of hormonal teenagers with naval firepower running about. Hopefully they could lean on the 'ship' more than the 'girl' to balance things out.

The next few days were quiet. We spent most of our time in the baths, and simply relaxing.

I'd just gotten up on the morning of the eighth, and headed over to John's dugout for a quick briefing as we'd made tradition. It paid to keep tabs on the overall situation, even if we essentially had two weeks off.

"Morning, Sir."

"Morning Wales." John replied, coffee mug in hand as he read some reports that had come in overnight.

"Anything happen?" I asked.

The Commodore took a moment to finish reading before muttering, "All quiet on the Pacific Front." He placed the papers down back on his desk. "Not a peep from the Japs. We've got a fresh convoy arriving this evening with more supplies. Three new marine squadrons also arrive today, as well as replacements for the three already here. Also, General Vandegrift wants to speak with you again. That's about it."

I nodded in understanding, "Has anyone checked the ships ashore on Savo?"

John blinked. "Ashore on Savo? What are you talking about?"

Now it was my turn to look confused. "The cruiser and destroyer we forced ashore? Did I not report that?"

He shook his head, "No, you didn't. Explain."

"There's two Japanese ships ashore on Savo. A Sendai-class light cruiser and a modern destroyer. We forced them ashore in the night action, and spotted them when we went after the transports. The cruiser's bow is wedged into the destroyer's side. I believe they collided in the dark, and then ran aground together." I explained.

The look on his face was incredulous. "And you didn't tell me?"

I grimaced. "I thought I did, sorry Sir."

His face met his hand, "Dammit all Wales." I couldn't help but feel a bit of shame. That was an embarrassing mistake. He stood a moment later, "Go speak to the General and see what he wants, then take a small group out there and make sure those ships are out of action. If you can, board them and see if there's any useful intel."

"Of course, Sir." I snapped a quick salute, and turned to leave. "Oh, and Wales?"

I paused, and turned back. "Sir?"

"Do not activate those spirits."

What, did he think I was that softhearted? I'd have to be an idiot to activate those two. If I did, the next time another IJN ship came by Savo, all the spirit would have to do was teleport aboard and activate her. And from there, the entire IJN fleet would end up activated. "Don't have to tell me, Sir. Wasn't planning on it."

I arrived at the General's CP less than ten minutes later. The large tent was busy, as usual, with over a dozen staffers going about their work. Vandegrift spotted me as I approached, and dismissed a couple marine he'd been speaking with.

"Captain Windsor."

"Sir." I replied. "What can I do for you?"

His expression didn't change from his usual gruff look. "No thanks to you, the better part of a Jap division is now on the island." I bristled, but he continued, "Our native scouts have found one of their bivouacs. I intend to hit them before they hit us."

"You want shore bombardment, Sir?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. Pinpointing them on a map for accurate indirect fire is damn hard in this thick jungle. Otherwise I would have my own howitzers hammering them. I'm going to send a large fighting patrol to engage them. I'm requesting the deployment of one or two of your SHIPs."

I bit my lip. Again, I wanted to say no. To spare my girls. But I'd learned my lesson. "When do you want them, Sir?"

"Tomorrow morning. The patrol departs at oh-seven-hundred." He gruffly explained.

I nodded, still regretting my answer, "I'll have a volunteer or two report to you at oh-six-hundred then." A sudden thought occurred to me. "How have our fairy Marines been performing?"

Somewhat humorously, the Marine General shuddered at 'fairy'. When he spoke, it was almost as if he couldn't believe he was using the term seriously. "The… Fairies… have performed extremely well." And it seemed that was all he was going to say.

I continued, "I'm going to need a platoon back, temporarily. There is a pair of Jap ships aground on Savo, and I'm going to need the little buggers to clear any surviving crew out of the jungle."

"I see." He turned to a man beside the radio. "Inform Breaker Two to pull back here. Have Jug three replace them on the line."

"Aye aye, Sir!"

It took ten minutes for the fairy platoon to arrive. My 2nd platoon came jogging out of the underbush, Lee Enfields and Lanchesters in hand.

I turned back to the Marine. "Thank you General. I'll have them back as soon as I can."

"I'll hold you to that." Was his gruff response.

With that, I embarked my fairies, and headed for the beach.

"Jesus Christ, she's been blown to bits!" Was the first thing out of Jup's mouth as we came into sight of the grounded Japanese ships. We'd come ashore on Savo half an hour ago, well down the beach and out of sight, before walking the rest of the way. No need to give away any secrets we didn't have to.

And what a sight they were. The tide was currently out, so the destroyer and cruiser were almost clear of the water. Just by looking, it was clear they'd come ashore at high tide, and at speed. How else could the destroyer have ended up completely beached, and the cruiser with only her stern in the water at low tide?

And as Jup had said, both ships had been shot to bits. They were covered in shell and splinter damage. And that wasn't mentioning the cruisers mangled bow and huge hole in the side of the destroyer where they were fused together by twisted metal.

I'd brought along Hou, Jup, Electra and Ennie. All of us had changed into khakis and carried small arms, just in case. As we approached, I deployed my marines with orders to sweep the nearby jungle while we investigated the ships themselves.

"You think we'll see the spirits?" Ennie asked.

"'Course," my Texan second replied, "They're not dead at the bottom yet. They'll be here somewhere."

"Just be bloody careful girls." I spoke up. "We can't afford to accidentally activate one of them."

We continued walking forward, guns ready, but down. We were maybe a hundred yards from the wrecks when Ennie startled. "Behind!"

I spun, gun snapping up to aim at a human figure. My finger tightened on the trigger before my conscious thought caught up. "Speak of the devil," I muttered, lowering my fancy tommy gun. It wouldn't do anything to an incorporeal spirit anyway.

The rest of my girls seemed to come to the same conclusion as they mimicked me. I took a moment to give the girl a once over. Her brown eyes met mine, some combination of fear and surprise behind them. She had a green bow around her head that held back her long brown hair. She wore a sort of white and black dress with orange patches, as well as long white and black gloves and boots.

And she looked terrible. Oily blood ran down from a gash on her forehead, her right arm was missing, and a half dozen other wounds leaked more blood into her clothing.

Despite her state, I put the friendliest smile I could on my face. "Hello." I spoke, suddenly very annoyed that I'd not spent any time learning Japanese since the start of the Pacific War. 'Know your enemy', and all that. "I'm Gwen. What's your name?"

In an instant, her face went from scared to angry, and she teleported away. Hou laughed. "What did you expect, Wa-Gwen." She corrected herself, just in case of evesdroppers. "She's a Jap."

"Just as she'd say the same about us, I'd expect." I shot back, annoyed. I turned back around and continued walking.

Why did people have to be such idiots? What use was there in hating one another? It wasn't as if the two girls now trapped on this beach could do anything to stop us. They were still invisible to anyone who wasn't a spirit, and couldn't physically interact with anyone or anything, including us. And Hou was still just a racist.

This war was really testing my faith in humanity.

Finally I reached the side of the cruiser. Surprisingly she sat on an even keel, having dug a trench in the sand with her bow which now held her upright. "Houna? Take Ele and En and go aboard the destroyer. Jupia, you're with me." I ordered. To be honest, I was beginning to think our first names weren't as opaque as we thought. Mine was the most so, but Houna? Ennie? Jupia? Though those were our names. Our identities. They weren't meant to be secretive or difficult to understand.

Oh well. Ideally these spirits wouldn't get activated until after the war, and therefore wouldn't be able to spill our secrets.

Reaching the side of the cruiser, I quickly produced and threw a grappling hook. It took three tries before it caught one of the metal posts holding up her rails. I quickly sent a fairy from my crew scrambling up the rope. Once she'd reach the top, I lobbed up a rope ladder. A minute of work by the fairy later, it came tumbling down, secured at the top.

As I reach the deck, I couldn't help but marvel at the ship I now stood on. She was in a sorry state. Virtually every inch of her decks and upperworks was covered in splinter impacts. I wearily clutched my gangster gun. Were there still crew aboard? I didn't think so. There was no sound apart from the sound of the waves and the slight creak of metal I myself had once made.

Jup and I began to work our way into the ship, and up to the slightly raised bridge. It was so… eerie. I'd never been aboard a ship in such a state of abandonment before. Where normally there would be the hum of turbines, the rocking of the waves, and a bustling crew, there was a dead silence. It was quite spooky.

Finally we climbed past holed walls and twisted metal to reach the command spaces. I stepped onto the bridge, and froze.

Shell. Splinters. Blood. "-WEN! GWEN!"

I jolted back to reality to see Jupiter shaking me. "I-... Yes?"

"The hell was that?" The destroyer asked. "Are you having flashbacks again?"

I looked around the bridge. A 5-inch shell hole was clear on one side, and the metal walls were dented with shrapnel. But what made my adrenaline spike was the dried blood on the walls and floor. Just like on that cold day in-

I jolted myself back to reality, slamming down on my memories.

"Yes." I ground out, almost panting. "Keep me here and now, Jup."

"Will do."

With that, I turned around. I had to get off this bridge. Too many memories. And it wasn't as if there would be anything useful on the bridge.

Then I froze. Standing there, in the door to the bridge, was the spirit. She had a curious look in her eyes. Then, in Japanese accented English, she spoke, "You understand, don't you?"

She glanced around the destroyed room. "The pain."

Our eyes met, and I gave a small nod. "Yes. If… I didn't believe in the cause I fight for, I'd never fight again."

She gave a small humourless laugh. "I would say the same. After all, you were the one that did this to me." Her face morphed into one of anger. "You killed my crew!"

I bowed my head. "And for that, I am sorry." I sighed. "I felt the same way, after my first battle. I hated the ship that had hurt me. I yelled at her over the radio. And do you know what she said to me?"

The cruiser was still angry, but I could see the curiosity behind her eyes. So I continued. "She said, 'Don't take it so personally. This is war. You're doing your duty, and I'm doing mine.' You would have done the same in my place. We can argue over who is right and who is wrong. But pointless hate gets us nowhere."

She huffed, "Then maybe you whites shouldn't have treated us like inferiors. It's always you Westerners, thinking you're so high and mighty. How many times have you held us back so you can pick at the scraps of China for yourself? How long have you sabotaged us to keep us from our rightful place as the dominant empire in Asia? How many Indians, Malays, and chinese have you murdered over the years!?"

Oh she wanted to play like that? "Not as many as your Army friends did in Nanjing."

She huffed, and then she was gone. I groaned, then, knowing she could still hear me, "We'll she who's in the right after the war!"

We didn't see her for the rest of our time aboard her hull.

We spent nearly three hours exploring and examining her. The damage was even worse than I'd suspected. She had so many holes that the water on her lower decks ended up matching the sea outside. It also explained why they'd not scuttled her further by touching off her magazines; both fore and aft were completely flooded.

As for why we'd come, it was slim pickings. The crew had done a good job of destroying their documents it seemed. We found only a few useful bits of information. One of which was the ship's name: Jintsu.

As we returned to the beach, Hou and the two E's joined us. I spotted the destroyer's spirit watching us over her rail. She too was brown-haired and brown eyed, though she wore her hair short, almost like mine. She wore a long sleeve white button up dress based on a sailors outfit, complete with a neckerchief.

I turned to Hou. "Anything?"

"A name, and a few documents, but nothing too useful." The cruiser replied.

I glanced back at the bloodied destroyer. "So who is she?"

"Yukikaze."

Interlude: Run Through the Jungle
AN: This was gonna be part of the last chapter, but then it was after midnight, and I just wanted to post the bloody chapter, so I left it out. Buuuuut I still wanted to include it, so here you go. Its an interlude now

Interlude: Run Through the Jungle

Following interlude is an excerpt from Electra's own memoir, E-class Destroyer.

OCTOBER 8 1942
D+26
915 HOURS

Sleeping in was the best. Especially when you're as tired as me and my sisters were after nearly a month of holding the line without a break. Compared to the usual navy bullshit, sleeping in 'til oh-nine-hundred was heaven. Express and I would have slept in even longer if Wales hadn't gone knocking on everyone's doors to call everyone for a briefing.

Fifteen minutes later everyone was assembled in the living space, most of us still waking up.

"Alright Ladies." Our battleship began. "Two things this morning. Firstly, Hou, Jup, Electra and Ennie. You'll be accompanying me out to Savo. We're going to check the Japanese ships we drove aground. Keep an eye out for any intel, and the spirits. We cannot afford to accidentally activate them, understand?"

That got a round of nods while Houston replied, "Aye aye, Ma'am."

"Good. Second." The posh Captain paused. "I- I need one or two volunteers. The marines have found a Japanese staging ground a couple miles outside the perimeter." She paused again. I could tell she hated to ask this of us. But it seemed she'd learned her lesson from the last time. "You'll be joining a fighting patrol to go hit the Japs before they can muster an assault on the perimeter. Any volunteers?"

Boise's had shot up. And to my suprise, my own rose too. If I went, my sisters wouldn't have to. I'd hated fighting ashore on Tulagi, but I already had nightmares from that. What was a few more?

Wales' eyes met ours. "You're sure?"

"Yes Ma'am." Boise replied.

I also nodded, "Aye, Ma'am."

"Alright." She grimaced, "Report to General Vandegrift at oh-six-hundred tomorrow."

The next morning, as instructed, me and Boise reported to the General's CP. There we found nearly a hundred marines milling around, along with Stewart and Pope.

I gave a small wave. "'ello, cunts."

Pope grinned. "Hey, Limy." She snarked, "How ya' been?"

"Oh, you know. Sailing around, sinkin' fuckin' Japs." I grinned back.

She chuckled. I'd always gotten on well with the American destroyers. Hammann liked to joke it was because I acted just like one. "Come to shoot up some Japs with us?" She asked.

I nodded, gesturing to the khakis I wore. "What does it look like?"

"Got ya." She glanced at my helmet and gun. "Where'd ya get the helmet and BAR?"

I ran a hand over the American steel helmet I was wearing. As great as the tommy helmets were, I felt like the American helmets offered a little bit more protection.

In my hands I held a Browning Automatic Rifle. I'd originally used a Lee Enfield on Tulagi during the fighting there, and as good as the classic rifle was, I felt like I needed something with a better rate of fire for close quarters. I'd debated using one of my own Lanchester submachine guns I had aboard, but I'd seen Hammann dump five shots from a tommy gun into a charging Jap and she'd still been run over before she'd killed him. My next thought was to trade for one of the M1 Garands a few of the marines had. Those rifles had a good rate of fire, and stopping power. So I'd gone to do just that when I'd spotted a Marine with a BAR. And why not. It fired the same round as the M1, but with more rounds and was able to go full auto. As a SHIP, the extra weight was no big deal.

The amount of cigs I'd had to trade for it was fucking stupid high, but totally worth it.

I grinned at Pope, "The Marine economy is a wonderful thing."

She nodded sagely. "Damn right."

I took a moment to look the Yank over. For her part, the four stacker-turned-amphibious-assault-SHIP looked just like a marine, clad in full battle rattle, helmet and all. "What are you using?"

She gave a predatory grin. Reaching behind her back, she produced a monster of a gun. It took me a moment to recognize the weapon as a Browning .50 modified with an inverted pistol grip and trigger on the top and a carry handle a bit further forward. The American destroyer chuckled at my gobsmacked look. "Ma Deuce motherfucker."

"Ha!" I heard Boise laugh from behind me. We both turned to see the cruiser grinning too. "Great minds think alike." She said to Pope, pulling out her own gun. For a second I thought it was another fifty cal, modded the same way with the grip and handle. Then I spotted the massive drum mag.

"What the fuck, Boise!" I exclaimed, "A Oerlikon? Really?!"

Her grin turned smug. "Damn right."

Just then Stewart joined us. "Are you girls having a fucken' dick waving contest over here?"

Pope rolled her eyes, "Real funny sis. What is it?"

The other teen gestured over her shoulder at the marines. "The El-Tee's ready to move out. We're on point, as fucken' usual."

"Okay." She glanced at me and Boise, "Follow us, I guess."

As usual for Guadalcanal, the day was hot and muggy. Our one saving grace was the clouds that kept the temperature a bit more bearable.

The four of us SHIPs were walking at the head of the column as we twisted back and forth through the untracked jungle, never able to go straight for more than a few dozen feet before we had to go around another obstacle.

Stewart took the lead, doing her best to navigate us to where we thought we had to go. Easier said than done, in a jungle this thick. There were virtually no landmarks, beyond a stream we'd crossed thirty minute before.

We had four platoons of marines following us, nearly a hundred men, and that wasn't mentioning Stewart and Pope's Marine fairies, who added two more platoons to our number. Any Jap who ran into us was going to have a very bad day.

Despite the difficulty of traversing the jungle, I quickly found myself getting bored. So, I'd put a record on in my radio room, and piped it through my onboard tannoy to play myself some music without blaring it out for all to hear.

I had to admit, I hated Wales' taste in music when she'd first played us 'rock and roll', calling it 'dumb noise', but now… it was starting to grow on me. Especially what she called ''Nam rock'. It just felt appropriate.

When I'd asked, she'd done up a record of the stuff for me, which was what I was now playing. I couldn't help but bob my head to the beat.

Whoa thought it was a nightmare~
Lord it was so true~
They told me don't go walking slow~
The devil's on the loose~

Better run through the jungle~
Whoa, don't look back to see~

CRACK

For half a second I froze as my brain registered the sonic boom of a bullet snapping past my ear.

CRACK

Which was just enough of a pause for the second shot to smack straight into my side. That got me to react, diving for cover behind the nearest tree. "Motherfucker!" Damn that stung like a bitch.

"Contact!" I heard Pope yelling. A split second later the world erupted into noise as Boise and Stewert opened up with suppressing fire in the general direction of the gunshot. Everyone else wisely dove for cover.

"Two-one-zero!" I yelled over the gunfire, both verbally and over my radio. Considering where the bullet had hit me I had a pretty good idea of where it had come from. "Two-One-Zero!"

"Copy." Boise replied over the radio, adjusting her aim.

More bullets snapped past me, a couple striking the tree I'd dove behind. A marine started screaming.

"Up and at 'em girls!" Pope yelled over the radio to be heard. "Advance into contact!"

I grit my teeth. "Right!" With that, I stood, and charged. The other three SHIPs followed.

We bulldozed straight through the foliage, all attempts at stealth discarded. My BAR barked as I sprayed from the hip. Bullets smacked into me, stinging, but in my adrenaline fueled rush I barely felt them.

We'd almost reached the Japs when I spotted them. They had rudimentary fighting pits. I saw at least a dozen helmets peeking over rifles, as well as a MG. I was about to open up on them when my eyes landed on a large dark shape behind them. And it was aimed at me… My eyes widened. "AT GUN!" I yelled, and scrambled to mentally summon my rigging.

I beat the gun crew by a split second. The instant my rigging settled on my back a AP shell slammed into my left arm, detonating and blowing my hand clean off. The BAR clutched in my hands was reduced to shrapnel.

In retaliation, I slammed a pair of HE shells into my two remaining 5-inch guns, and let rip. The AT gun swiftly ceased existing.

Then I turned my autocannons on the fighting pits.

I stopped firing a moment later, calls to cease fire being yelled. Pope came rushing over, "You okay?"

I nodded, holding up my missing hand, "Just killed the crew of and jammed my number one five-incher. A couple days in the bath and I'll be fine."

"Good," She replied hurredly, "Now get your fucking rigging off."

I blinked at her sudden urgency. "What's the bloody rush?"

"The Japs have a couple Howit-" She managed to explain in a rush before a scream of a shell overhead interrupted her, exploding some hundreds of yards past us. "Fucking ditch it! They can see your projection through the canopy! We need to re-pos!"

I nodded, quickly ditching my rigging, and following her as she began to run off through the bush, the other two SHIPs and Marines hot on our heels.

I was suddenly very thankful the blue dress that served as my rigging outfit was relatively loose and easy to run in.

Finally we reached relative safety, and slowed, panting. The Japanese shelling continued back where we'd been, only intensifying. Luckily, everyone had gotten clear.

"Fuckers are adapting." Pope muttered in between pants, "We're seeing more AT, and their howitzers have been getting faster to sight-in and fire whenever we pull rigging."

"You kidding?" I muttered back, as the ground shook from nearby explosions. "That was fucken' instant!"

She nodded, "Like I said. Adapting." She turned back, "Everyone okay?"

Boise and Stewart gave thumbs up, while a couple of the marine officers shouted affirmative answers. "Great. We still got a Jap Bivouac to hit. Let's go!"

"Fuckers are adapting." Pope muttered in between pants, "We're seeing more AT, and their howitzers have been getting faster to sight-in and fire whenever we pull rigging."

Well then, guess on-shore fire support is going to be cruisers and battleships only form here on out. Anything lighter is just asking for trouble.

Non-Canon Omake: The Greatest Raid
The Greatest Raid
"I volunteer", one of the destroyers spoke up, a relatively unknown destroyer HMS Campbeltown, formerly USS Buchanan . Ensign Bucky Campbell didn't know just yet what the operation would entail, only that it provided a chance for one last trip with her steel hull. That if she returned, it would be as a SHIP, was a bonus. She had been told that the chances were not that great of her returning at all, but it didn't change her decision.

Several weeks later Bucky was fully focused as her hull traversed between the German gun emplacements. For now, they had still fooled the Germans into thinking she was a German destroyer, but she knew it wouldn't last indefinitely.

When the Germans began firing upon her, killing her helmsman. Bucky wasted no time and took over the helm. She was highly pleased when captain Beaty ordered to lower the German flag and hoist the white Ensign.

The final turn was there, only a short distance to go. With no hesitation whatsoever, Bucky Campbell rammed her hull against the lock gates, her speed sufficient to get a large portion of her hull on top of the gates. As agreed beforehand, Bucky reported to her new commanding officer, Lieutenant-colonel August Newman. Who sent her to the subpens with the order to wait there until the explosives went off and then take out the moored subs. Afterwards, she was to head to the shore, set sail and meet up with the commandos on the small boats for the return trip to Britain.

At noon, the explosives finally detonated. Just as Bucky had snuck into the sub pens to fulfill the additional objective given by Lieutenant-Colonel August Newman beforehand. Her obsolete guns were still more than adequate to take out the moored u-boats.

Following her orders (they couldn't risk the Axis finding out about SHIPS after all), Bucky didn't try to break out the captured commandos, but headed towards the shore, a short sail later, she met up with the returned commandos.

After her return, Bucky Campbell requested transfer to the commandos. Which was accepted, starting her long career, which culminated in her current rank of Brigadier and her position of second in command of the SBS.

Canon Omake: 'Super Secret Sub Spec-ops Shit'
Canon Omake: 'Super Secret Sub Spec-ops Shit'

It was on a warm Java evening, just after midnight, that a subgirl slowly and quietly emerged from the surf onto Madura Island. S-36, Sammy to those who knew her, wearily glanced around. The darkness did her eyes no favors, but it seemed clear. So, she stood and jogged into the treeline. Then, she turned west, and began to walk.

It'd been a long journey from Perth. She'd arrived at the Bali Strait a week ago. The Japanese had mined it to hell, so she'd had to go ashore and walk along the beach to get past before setting sail again. And now, she was doing the exact same thing for much the same reasons. One wasn't getting into Soerabaja by sea or under it. Not without knowing where the defensive minefields lay.

So, using the oldest form of human locomotion it was: Her own two feet.

Being seconded to the damn OSS spooks was a pain in the ass. Why couldn't she just go raiding merchant shipping again?

It took three hours at a brisk walk to reach the harbour. But she'd made it. And what a view it was. Madura Island sat across a small strait from the harbour, and Sammy had a perfect view of the docks a mere nautical mine away from where she lay prone at the edge of the treeline. It was almost nostalgic in a way. She'd been based here for a few months with the rest of the Asiatic Fleet's subs, most of whom were her sisters. Everything was just as it was, illuminated in the moonlight.

What had changed was the occupiers. Near a dozen Japanese merchant ships were docked or moored in the harbour, with a few destroyers and smaller auxiliaries scattered about.

Perfect.

Then the bush beside her rattled.

Her head snapped around. Was it a Jap? Or… "Hammer." She whispered.

"Head." An accented female voice replied. A moment later a teenager's head popped out of the bush. "Hallo Sammy."

"Hey Hoorn." The sub replied. "Are we good?"

"Ya." The tug replied, climbing from her hiding spot and joining Sammy in the treeline. She spoke with a thick Indonesian accent. "Plenty of targets."

"Good." The sub replied, pulling out a pair of binoculars. As she looked over the ships in the harbour, her mind wandered to her now present hull-bound companion. Hoorn had become something of a local agent after Java had fallen. She was one of the local tugs that serviced Soerabaja, and even now under new management she continued her job. She looked Indonesian with brown hair, brown eyes and a darker skin tone, but with just a hint of European ancestry in her face. As she'd told Sammy when the sub had asked, she may have been Dutch born, but she was built for the Indies, and had always been crewed by locals.

"Where are you?" The sub asked after a couple moments.

Hoorn pointed far to the right at a collection of tugs moored against a dock of the night. "Over there, with my sisters."

"Got ya." With a nod, the sub rose to a crouch. Rummaging through her hold briefly, she produced a large wood box. "Well, these are yours."

"What did you get me?" The tug asked, producing a crowbar and beginning to pry off the lid.

"See for yourself."

The lid came off the box with a thunk, and Hoorn produced a flashlight to get a good look inside. When she did, a giddy grin appeared on her face. The whole box, all four feet squared of it, was full of satchel charges. "Ohohohohoooo! Tonight is going to be fun."

Hoorn was an angry boat. Always had been. She snapped at her fellow spirits, got into fights and generally disliked the Dutch for their treatment of her crew. She never thought she'd want the racist bastards back. But here she was, helping an American sub blow up her home harbour, because the Japs were somehow even worse. They'd already killed two of her crewman for trivial offences, and now she had a damn Jap officer serving on her to keep an eye on her crew.

She'd barely been able to stand on her own hull the last couple months, lest the bastard get curious why the Captain brought his 'daughter' aboard so often. The entire crew was read in on her and who she was and she loved the lot of them. Not a single one had let slip who she really was. And by some miracle, neither had any of her sisters' crews.

And she wouldn't even start on the Jap ships. Bunch of stuck up racist pricks…

So, when she'd run into a Dutch sub spirit on a beach near the harbour, she'd jumped at the chance to help the Allies. She'd periodically been contacted by Allied subs since then, including Sammy, twice. Using her ability to teleport, she'd done all sorts of things to harm the Japs. Often that meant slipping into the naval HQ and making off with as much paperwork as she could to pass onto the subs. Intel was intel, as Sammy had said.

But tonight was different. Cause tonight, she wasn't just stealing some papers or keeping track of the comings and goings around the harbour. No, tonight she was getting her revenge, for Sammy had delivered nearly thirty large satchel charges for her.

And she knew just how to use them.

Her first stop was the obvious one: The base magazine. Satchel in hand, she willed herself to move, and then she was there. It was a large warehouse, relatively unremarkable. Except it was loaded to the brim with naval shells, propellant bags, and torpedoes. Checking a watch, she set the charge's timer to go off in thirty-two minutes, at 0345 sharp. Then, after nestling it among the munitions, she returned to the beach where she'd met Sammy, grabbed another charge, and teleported again.

For the next twenty minutes she teleported to and fro, rigging every target of opportunity. One charge in the fuel storage. Another in the motorpool. And even three in the gate of the base's drydock. All set to detonate around that magic time: 0345.

Oh yes, tonight was going to be a night to remember.

Soon, she'd used almost all of her charges, but rigged everything she could think of. She stood on the beach for a moment, glancing over the darkened port. Two charges left. What to use them on? Ships?

But Sammy was carrying out her own mission. After producing the explosives, the Sub had donned a tank of air and frogman's gear, and set off to attach limpet mines to several of the ships in harbour. Hoorn had been of the impression subs could breathe underwater, but the sub had explained that only worked with her rigging on, and that wasn't nearly stealthy enough in such a confined space with enemies everywhere.

But, the sub had mentioned she only had three charges, and had said she'd go for the larger merchant ships.

She'd just have to rig a pair of naval ships then.

With a thought, the tug teleported aboard one of the destroyers, right into the magazine. It was a risk, but why would anyone be in her magazine this late?

Luckily, her guess was correct, and not only was the magazine clear of any crew, the lights were off. It took Hoorn a moment to pull out a torch and illuminate the pitch black space. A horrible, savage grin crossed her face as she took in the dozens upon dozens of shells stacked around the room. Oh yes, this would do nicely.

She was fiddling with the explosives timer when suddenly there was another presence. The teen spun, eyes wide and afraid she'd been discovered when her eyes landed on a girl. She froze. The destroyer- for who else could she be? -was tiny, only just over four feet tall. Her brown hair almost hid her matching eyes, which were furious. No wonder. She'd just teleported into her magazine. For warship spirits, their magazine was something of a taboo. It was just somewhere you didn't go. The closest analogy to humans Hoorn could think of was ahhhh… touching private areas, though without the lewd connotations.

"Who are you? What are you doing?" The tiny ship shouted in Japanese. Hoorn wished she didn't understand. That would have meant she didn't have that damn Jap as part of her crew. But she did, so she spoke Japanese now.

So, she replied and held up the explosive. "Sinking you."

The destroyer's anger instantly morphed into utter fear. It seemed this one was aware of the fact that there were a few corporeal spirits running about. "W-wait! We can talk this out!"

Hoorn gave a condescending laugh, "Well, maybe your sailors shouldn't have executed my helmsman and deckhand in cold blood!"

Tick Tick Tick

In the ensuing silence the timer was like a gunshot. The destroyer bagan to panic. Hoorn gave a savage grin. "Burn in hell, Jap." And with the timer reaching one second, she teleported away.

BOOM

The colossal detonation of the destroyer's magazine exploding was loud, even from the other side of the harbour, and the fireball bright. Sammy was already waiting.

The sub gave an impressed low whistle. "That you?"

The tug chuckled, "Bitch was begging for her life."

"That's what they get for stabbing us all in the back." Sammy grinned. She checked her watch, and pulled out a bowl. "Three-fourty-four. Time for some fireworks. Popcorn?"

"You brought popcorn?"

The sub shrugged, "I had space."

"Oh, fine, sure."

The sub smirked, letting the tug take a handful. "And three, two, one…"

BOOM

Judging by the description of 'Four foot tall, brown eyes, messy brown hair', you're likely looking at Ikazuchi, one of the Collective blob of cute that is Destroyer Division 6.

Back