Pretender (Worm/Dominions 4)

Summoned, yes; but also real. They're permanent and exist forever. Logically they come from somewhere, so the question is where.

My personal answer was that the first X unowned dogs that could be collected. Strays, wild dogs... basically, ones Bitch would care about. She may well have found the church in the first place by following the dogs. She has to do something with the Undersiders caput.
There's no particular reason the magic couldn't just make (real, permanent, ordinary) dogs out of nothing.

I mean, Dominions spell-fluff tends not to be that way, instead pushing towards summoning-as-in-calling even for most of the really extremely supernatural stuff, but spontaneous dogs wouldn't be anywhere near the weirdest stuff around anyway.

There's no particular reason the magic couldn't just make (real, permanent, ordinary) dogs out of nothing.

I mean, Dominions spell-fluff tends not to be that way, instead pushing towards summoning-as-in-calling even for most of the really extremely supernatural stuff, but spontaneous dogs wouldn't be anywhere near the weirdest stuff around anyway.
Generally it's actually fairly clear in the description when things are being forged whole-cloth out of magic versus being called to the caster and bound to service. Sometimes you need a catalyst; many undead require corpses in the description (though not in-game) for example, though those which call things from the Underworld sometimes just yank them out.

In this case, Summon Animals reaches out to real creatures. However, if there were no real animals to be found I think the spell would still function.

What made you decide to go with the Oracle as Pretender God? It's somewhat dull compared to the other Pretender Gods like the Solar Serpent, Son of Niffielhiem[1], or the others.

[1] Yeah, I butchered that one but I have the excuse of being on my phone.

What made you decide to go with the Oracle as Pretender God? It's somewhat dull compared to the other Pretender Gods like the Solar Serpent, Son of Niffielhiem[1], or the others.
I can only speculate of course, but probably because the Oracle chassis is
1 : A Idol. The memories are hitting Taylor hard enough, imagine if they came from a cannibal blood mage or the literal hound of hell ? Idols also lack the 'established other person' issue you`d have with a mage chassis.
2 : Among the Idol chassis, fairly interesting as a concept for Taylor to be confused by without also being the Blood Fountain, relatively benign and unfocused compared to all the other idols other than the Monolith.

[1] Yeah, I butchered that one but I have the excuse of being on my phone.
I can only speculate of course, but probably because the Oracle chassis is
1 : A Idol. The memories are hitting Taylor hard enough, imagine if they came from a cannibal blood mage or the literal hound of hell ? Idols also lack the 'established other person' issue you`d have with a mage chassis.
2 : Among the Idol chassis, fairly interesting as a concept for Taylor to be confused by without also being the Blood Fountain, relatively benign and unfocused compared to all the other idols other than the Monolith.
I wanted something with high Astral, with Fortuneteller, and also that was very alien in its nature and potential mindset. The Oracle, as a Pretender God, is nearly as distant from a human thought structure as any of the Void Gods. It's a spirit bound to a magical well that speaks through a series of crippled and blinded little girls that are ritualistically drowned in its waters. That's kind of horrifying, but in a way has the lowest impact on Taylor.

Having it be an almost neutral Pretender God allows for it to be integrating with her rather than the other way around. Unlike many other God choices it also doesn't tie her to any nation in particular.

Unlike many other God choices it also doesn't tie her to any nation in particular.
Not to make too fine a point of it, but the Oracle is a cheapgod for MA and LA Arcoscephale, as well as MA Pythium.

It IS one of the most widely available chassis though, only topped by some of the more generic beasts, two other idols and most mages.

Back