Dimension mismatches in descriptions. Generally this happens when the writer decides to double descriptions. Like "the rabbit was as large as a horse, its shoulders coming up to my waist."

Tell me you've never seen a horse without telling me you've never seen a horse.

But this happens a lot, particularly if the author has decided to go oversized for something. There will be entire scenes playing out and descriptions of things happening that simply do not work with the dimensions as described but do work if the thing is much smaller.

Is annoying.

Because the other options are

None of those are the Doomguy option. The Doomguy option is going lone wolf and fuck up everything that steps to him, he's not going to fuck around playing faction politics. Like maybe he won't go hog through the Imperium's human troops? But then again they will be shooting lasers and bolters and shit at him, not just stupid bullets that will plink off his armour, so in that case I think he definitely would shoot back.

EDIT: Also when he see's all the Imperium's skulls and shit there's no guarantee he won't automatically assume that it's a Demon controlled Vichy Humanity. Or hell crica Doom Eternal he's even more likely to go "That looks like some Makyr shit, fuck those guys too". Bitterness about the human-on-human bullshit he witnessed on Argent D'Nur might also be a factor leading him to wrecking the Imperium's shit.

If for fanfiction purposes you need him to not start doing that you need to start him off with the Space Wolves or something as they're a bit closer to what he's used to so he's more gradually acclimated.

Also also the Mechanicum might not have a great first contact with him because there's a chance he will end up ripping your robot arms off and throwing you in his closet for whenever he needs exposition. Aka what he literally pulled on Samuel Hayden. The odds of this happening go up dramatically if they fuck ith Vega for being an abominable intelligence.

Last edited:
Also also the Mechanicum might not have a great first contact with him because there's a chance he will end up ripping your robot arms off and throwing you in his closet for whenever he needs exposition. Aka what he literally pulled on Samuel Hayden. The odds of this happening go up dramatically if they fuck ith Vega for being an abominable intelligence.
I mean... being fair in the case of Samuel Hayden, Sammy boy did finish Doom 2016 by stabbing him in the back, tossing him back to Hell, and going "don't worry I will use the Hell Energy safely and stuff", followed by the next time he reaches Earth it's now 90% Hell-covered. If there's anyone who managed to piss off Doomguy enough to tear off their limbs and stick them in the closet despite him generally not harming humans, it's Samuel Hayden.

Aka what he literally pulled on Samuel Hayden. The odds of this happening go up dramatically if they fuck ith Vega for being an abominable intelligence.
... wasn't it someone else who did that to Samuel Hayden? I thought Doomguy just found his mutilated not-corpse and brought it back to his citadel?

Pet Peeve: Magical Masking

So you have some extra method of gaining information in a convenient, super reliable form.
Maybe you can Appraise the LitRPG character sheet, or use a power detector to measure their power level and shoe size, or maybe you can just sense energy and recognize people and their health from miles away!

This is all awesome, but unfortunately your OP MC has the Super Special Snowflake Power: Napkin Folding.
Obviously if anyone knows they have the dreadful power of folded napkins, then the government will send a SWAT team to kick down their door, shoot their dog and nuke them from orbit... just to be sure.

So our plucky MC needs the ability to perfectly fool the perfect information system!
Luckily he just tripped over the Jock Strap of TMI which will conceal any napkin-related skills!
What a coincidence! :rolleyes:

The first thing that annoys me about this is how contrived it is.
I mean, everything in fiction is contrived, but these special concealment tricks always seem more contrived than most.

They're almost always completely unrelated to the rest of their skillset.
It doesn't matter if their entire power centers around blasting their energy out like a supernova, they can always use the hiding technique flawlessly and without any significant disadvantages.

Furthermore, the stealth is often their strongest technique.
They might be challenged by various antagonistic peers, but it would never do for their true power to be seen through by even the strongest people, those are the ones they are hiding from!
So they might have a bunch of high-level powers, then one super-duper-god-level power.

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

To make it worse, in most cases the MC doesn't even try to get it.
It doesn't fit the character to seek out the Assassin's Mask, so they have to stumble across it.
Often just before they need it.

And when they actually have a false persona, the author has to go out of their way to make them fumble it like crazy or the readers might be confused.

"What's your name?"
"Bob! Wait, no, I'm not Bob. I'm... let me see what it says on the note... 'Bob, remember that you aren't Bob, you are Not-Bob.' Right. So I'm Not-Bob."
"Sounds good to me."

I mean, would a person who is incapable of even trying to lie, think of lying as their plan in the first place?
At least practice in the mirror!

The other part is the hypocrisy.

The entire reason the information/detection powers were added to the story in the first place was to make things easier for the Author/MC.
They don't have to fight the enemy (and be humiliated) to realize they are outmatched, and they don't have to prove their credentials to be trusted, they can just rely on the convenient and always perfect detection power!
Then they shy away from actually dealing with the consequences for themselves.

Not only that, but they almost never allow the other characters even the possibility of similar skills.
Not only does the MC continue to use the information without verification, they never even consider the possibility that it might be wrong.

In a lot of cases the information is only useful if it's 100% reliable.
Once you start saying things like 99% of spies will be caught, but 1% will be completely missed, their policy of depending completely on it starts to sound bad, even if that's actually pretty impressive in RL.

And it never seems to occur to the other characters that they might need verification either.
After all, the MC needs to breeze by without any effort.
If they just stop all the people who they can't scan, it would defeat the purpose!

Ultimately it comes across as sloppy world-building.

They don't want to go into the details needed to deal with uncertainty, but they don't want to deal with certainty either.
The Masking feels like a clumsy patch, added later and carelessly applied.

Excessively slow starts to stories.

I dropped a fic recently because we were knocking on the door to 45k words and we were still building up to the point where the plot could actually start.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is 98k words long. Imagine being half way through the novel and Harry hasn't even left the Dursley's.

Yeah. Always start at the latest possible point, people. BNHA doesn't spend a hundred chapters on Izuku training for the entrance exams, Naruto doesn't spend months on the pre-Genin education, Worm doesn't begin three years before the locker incident but three months after it, etc.

"slow burn" is a horrible excuse.
Now, some stories actually are slow burn, with things happening over large number of chapters, and still genuinely good.
But most often than not, when story is called "slow burn", it just means nothing will happen and author will quit halfway through.

Slow starts can work, but it tends to require a pretty good author to pull it off and still keep it interesting, and often tends to mean going well off the canon rails early on as part of that "slow burn".

As you may have guessed from us being in the pet peeves in fanfiction thread, most of the authors that would come up in this context are not, in fact, good enough to pull that off.

Yeah. Always start at the latest possible point, people. BNHA doesn't spend a hundred chapters on Izuku training for the entrance exams, Naruto doesn't spend months on the pre-Genin education, Worm doesn't begin three years before the locker incident but three months after it, etc.

I think better advice is "show what is relevant", not "what is cool".

"slow burn" is a horrible excuse.
Now, some stories actually are slow burn, with things happening over large number of chapters, and still genuinely good.
But most often than not, when story is called "slow burn", it just means nothing will happen and author will quit halfway through.
My favorite story right now is a slow burn done right. You can tell because only a few people are complaining in the comments :V

Seriously though, yeah, it's hard to keep the Exciting Things perpetually away for hundreds of pages and not make it feel like a slog. Since those Exciting Things are often themselves a reward, not being able to rely on them happening to keep the reader's attention requires the author to actually be good at it, which... yeah.

I mean, no, if you're keeping the Exciting Things away you've already failed as a writer. You're not going to keep readers if you don't have Exciting Things happening, that's just how writing works; that the Exciting Things could be interpersonal drama or romance or character building or etc. instead of Big Explosions doesn't stop them from being Exciting Things. And with fanfic you do need to actually get to - at least tangentially - the bits of canon your story is going to intersect with fairly quickly, because people read fanfiction because of that 'fan' bit.

Most 'slow burns' are simply a dearth of any interesting things happening at all. A good slow burn romance, for example, would have interpersonal drama, character development, and romance interwoven so that something exciting is always actually happening, and keeping you engaged and interested in the story; hell, a slow burn romance could be super heavy on the Big Explosions and still be a slow burn romance, as the romance is the bit that is building slowly.

But if you just avoid Exciting Things for hundreds of pages you have absolutely and comprehensively fucked up. Even real-world encyclopaedias have Exciting Things (relevant information and sometimes pictures!) on every page.

Nah, you're very wrong, here. You need engaging things in a story, but not every engagement is some form of excitement or events occurring in the narrative. If people read a story for a warm and cozy feeling, that isn't any kind of excitement. It's something that's built up over time and maintained via atmosphere, not necessarily concrete events or developments that will singularly be present on a page.

Some freaks (hi!) take engagement from slow things crawling on uneventfully so long as the prose is pleasant to read; the narrative doesn't need to have developments for the story to be engaging.

Besides, in this context, "Exciting Things" was being used for major plot developments, and absolutely nothing about what you're saying that a story needs to build and hold interest in the immediate term translates to 'Your story should start as close to the major plot developments as possible', which is what you said in your last post, so your argument doesn't work regardless.

It is basically impossible to sit from outside and declare in a blanket sense that [X thing] is categorically a writing failure.

Nah, you're very wrong, here. You need engaging things in a story, but not every engagement is some form of excitement or events occurring in the narrative. If people read a story for a warm and cozy feeling, that isn't any kind of excitement. It's something that's built up over time and maintained via atmosphere, not necessarily concrete events or developments that will singularly be present on a page.

Some freaks (hi!) take engagement from slow things crawling on uneventfully so long as the prose is pleasant to read; the narrative doesn't need to have developments for the story to be engaging.

Besides, in this context, "Exciting Things" was being used for major plot developments, and absolutely nothing about what you're saying that a story needs to build and hold interest in the immediate term translates to 'Your story should start as close to the major plot developments as possible', which is what you said in your last post, so your argument doesn't work regardless.

It is basically impossible to sit from outside and declare in a blanket sense that [X thing] is categorically a writing failure.

'Exciting Things' do not have to be literally exciting, as should have been clear by the fact I said an encyclopaedia had a high density of Exciting Things. You have just described a work that provides you with a shitload of Exciting Things, that is, cozy comfy writing of the sort you like! Exciting Things had nothing to do with plot development, so far as I can tell, and my posts do not contradict each other; you should both start a story at the latest possible point, and you should also have Exciting Things (the things you're writing the story for, be that romance or action or giant robots or comfy daily life) happening on the regular.

If your comfy cozy writing thing started in the middle of a bloody violent war, and the writing spent hundreds of pages dedicated to that brutel senseless grinding violence and horror, it would have started way too early for what you wanted, especially if it was billing itself as a cozy comfort fic! If a fic you were expecting to be a cozy comfort fic raced through plot at a breakneck pace with no characterisation or interpersonal interactions or space to breathe, it would be devoid of Exciting Things for you, and for the genre it purported to be in!

I think the main fail-point with "slow burn" stories is the sense of progress.

You can have an entertaining story where the status quo constantly resets but it wouldn' be called slow burn.

One story I'm reading now has a character with a superpower slowly exploring and expanding his ability.
Over the past hundred chapters, he's made clear progress, but it still hasn't upgraded enough to match people who started one rank higher than him.

That is a slow burn.
You can see the progress, but every step is examined, and explained, and demonstrated a dozen times in various situations.

From a story writing perspective, the author had to have planned it out with a list of 50 incremental changes and insights, then they can't become impatient and move the needle too quickly.

All while pushing the other plot lines along at a reasonable pace.

everyone has a in-depth knowledge of their worlds history, power system, and cosmology

how many of you know advanced physics and in depth knowledge of all of world history, and Theology? (actual theology and not the bite sized chunks you hear filth hand, I do not need to rant about how no one understands the Satan. and how everything people know about Christianity/Bible comes from a thousand years of telephone and self insert fan-fiction)

I get this in Worm fan fiction where apparently everyone can reqionize if someone's power does not come from a Passenger despite knowledge of passengers not being common knowledge in Earth Bet until the end of Worm.

they would presume they where "just" a Parahuman.

same thing in Warhammer 40k. humans in the Impurium are kept heinously ignorant about everything.

even high level Inquisitors often only have limited knowledge of the galaxy.

like most 40k fans know that Orks are a race of fungal beings that reproduce by spores. but in cannon this isn't that well known. heck I don't even know if Orks know about this.

the people in the galaxy I suspect to have a in-depth knowledge of stuff like this are figures like Eldrad, Vect, Urien, maybe Cawl and Trazyn. even Trazyn who is basically a Warhammer 40k fan in the setting as a Egyptian killer robot isn't all knowing.

he did not know about how genestealers worked and it lead to issues

everyone has a in-depth knowledge of their worlds history, power system, and cosmology

how many of you know advanced physics and in depth knowledge of all of world history, and Theology? (actual theology and not the bite sized chunks you hear filth hand, I do not need to rant about how no one understands the Satan. and how everything people know about Christianity/Bible comes from a thousand years of telephone and self insert fan-fiction)

I get this in Worm fan fiction where apparently everyone can reqionize if someone's power does not come from a Passenger despite knowledge of passengers not being common knowledge in Earth Bet until the end of Worm.

they would presume they where "just" a Parahuman.

same thing in Warhammer 40k. humans in the Impurium are kept heinously ignorant about everything.

even high level Inquisitors often only have limited knowledge of the galaxy.

like most 40k fans know that Orks are a race of fungal beings that reproduce by spores. but in cannon this isn't that well known. heck I don't even know if Orks know about this.

the people in the galaxy I suspect to have a in-depth knowledge of stuff like this are figures like Eldrad, Vect, Urien, maybe Cawl and Trazyn. even Trazyn who is basically a Warhammer 40k fan in the setting as a Egyptian killer robot isn't all knowing.

he did not know about how genestealers worked and it lead to issues
Trazyn was around when the Orks were created. All the Necron bigwigs were. Yes, they know. Likewise the Eldar were made by the same guys at the same time and fought alongside the early Orks, so it's probably common knowledge to them as well, or at least to any that have a scholarly bent. *Humans* (and Tau) are the only ones who probably might not know. Everyone else is in a position to have that info. Conversely, the Tyranids are new and not part of anything that those factions dealt with millions of years ago, so yeah, it makes sense for Trazyn to not know them, they probably didn't exist for 99% of his time in existence.

Likewise the Eldar were made by the same guys at the same time and fought alongside the early Orks, so it's probably common knowledge to them as well, or at least to any that have a scholarly bent
it's worth noting that Eldar have forgotten most of their past in the Fall including details like that.
One story I'm reading now has a character with a superpower slowly exploring and expanding his ability.
Over the past hundred chapters, he's made clear progress, but it still hasn't upgraded enough to match people who started one rank higher than him.
what story is that? sounds cool

Humans do know about ork spores.
Well, Imperium does.
Parts of the Imperium anyway.
That propably don't exactly spread that knowledge, assuming they don't downright murder people for finding it out.

Trazyn was around when the Orks were created. All the Necron bigwigs were. Yes, they know. Likewise the Eldar were made by the same guys at the same time and fought alongside the early Orks, so it's probably common knowledge to them as well, or at least to any that have a scholarly bent. *Humans* (and Tau) are the only ones who probably might not know. Everyone else is in a position to have that info. Conversely, the Tyranids are new and not part of anything that those factions dealt with millions of years ago, so yeah, it makes sense for Trazyn to not know them, they probably didn't exist for 99% of his time in existence.
It was a basic example of out of universe knowledge that does not apply in universe.

Necrons do know about Ork spore stuff.

I do find the idea of Contessa and Lisa freaking out about Equius Zahhak to be hilarious but that's a special "I have a field that blocks any type of scrying plus super strength" case.

Okay after a nice romp through fanfiction net and being reminded that there are a whole bunch of things tick me off, here's some.
  • Change one aspect of the setting and then absolutely nothing else except dialogue.
    • Stations of Canon except with little sticky notes and poorly drawn characters glued on.
    • Pinky and the Brain... and Larry. Characters glued in and then reshashing the entire thing without variation, except with the glorious and amazing presence that is their SELF INSERT highly original character. Probably with a romantic subplot involving a main character somewhere.
  • Sex-swap one character so you can hetero-ship them, and no other reason. Most fanfiction-readers I know have run into at least one of these. It reeks of homophobia.
  • Female Harry Potters that don't use flower names, because that's an Evans family tradition and Lily is described as willful enough to insist on that. Any fic that addresses this in-setting gets a free pass though.
  • Hadrian Potter.
  • The possibility (and therefor inevitability in a fic in which this trope comes into play) where a single bit of common sense and cleverness can up-end an entire power structure and unlock unlimited power.
    • "Being nice to Goblins" comes to mind from HP fics. For whatever definition of 'nice' fits.
    • The longer a system exists, the more people will have found ways to abuse it, and then pulled up the ladder after them. If there's a really obvious one in your story, it better damn well be an outside-context solution like understanding germ-theory during the black plague.
    • I don't mind it giving them a believable advantage though, to be clear.
  • Angst for the sake of angst.
    • If this is clearly posted in tags or summary, also gets a pass. I understand that this can be heavy catharsis.
  • Ass-pulls of major character motivation or traits. If I'm 50k words in and it's the first I'm hearing about a character-defining ambition, then there had better be a flashback explaining it or at least someone lampshading it.
  • Politicking children, tweens, teens, or hell even some no-name twit in their thirties being taken seriously by world powers, unless this is somehow a utopia where people aren't nepotistic ageist social climbers. It doesn't matter what titles you have mister Arrogant Young Master, you are a brat and/or a nobody until or unless proven otherwise. Exceptions may exist but generally speaking, I'm talking to every single HP fic and similar that features 11 and 12-year-olds talking like rich social climbers in their late 20s and being treated as such.
  • Vanishing without trace after writing incredible, engageing and interesting stories, showing up in three years saying you're back, posting twice more, then vanishing again. Dude, do yourself and your fans a favor and post some cliff notes if you can't write an ending, or just... Admit that you're wrapping things up and can't write anymore on it.
  • Writers that forget what they've already written.
    • Characters forgetting abilities.
    • Retcons affecting plot without a rewrite or note.
    • Re-hashing the same thing over and over and over and...
    • Forgetting entire characters.
  • Jumping perspectives like a coffee-crazed squirrel snorting a pixie-stick.
  • Mid-story long-term perspective shift. This usually happens when the author's written a character up and then wants to tie someone else we don't care about in so crams them down our throat until they meet back up again.
    • If you have more than one chapter from another character's perspective close together, then please at least ensure it ties into the story we're already invested in?
  • Fanfics wherein a socioeconomic or political leaning is presented as the superior option and strawmen are set up to challenge it and be defeated. I don't care if it's one to which I subscribe, I don't like this tripe. It's propaganda in the form of fiction.
  • Acceptance of morally repugnant or bankrupt actions or characters by individuals that are not questionable or bankrupt themselves. If you have someone show up in a setting and they're a 'great guy' except sometimes they decide to eat people, then when others find out about that, they should no longer consider that person a 'great guy' or acceptable company.
    • The willingness there is a key factor and the difference between a sympathetic villain, a hero with a terrible curse, or some derranged psycho.
And finally the biggest one on the list saved for last:
  • The idolization of abuse, rape, and toxic personalities, as part of relationships or in general.
Reading through Fanfiction Net makes me seriously worry about the wellbeing of so many people and what the hell happened to them to give them certain definitions of romance that would get actual people killed.

Last edited:
One day I will read a litany of these and one day that person won't complain about authors having lives. One day, but today was not that day.

Fanfics wherein a socioeconomic or political leaning is presented as the superior option and strawmen are set up to challenge it and be defeated. I don't care if it's one to which I subscribe, I don't like this tripe. It's propaganda in the form of fiction.
It is actively worse if it is a position I agree with. Especially when it mostly consists of the bad guy faction only consisting of people who are self-serving bastards who don't believe in what they are saying. No you haven't disproven the ideology, you have shown a bunch of bad people being bad. At least show how the ideology inherently puts bad people who don't believe in the tenets of it in charge if you want to go that way at least.

Back