Netflix's One Piece

Finally got around to watching this and it was, for the most part, surprisingly good. I still can't get on with shouted attack names, though.

Highlights:
- really driving in that the Marines aren't 'a few bad apples spoiling the bunch'. All of them are shit, even (especially) Garp.
- Sanji and Zoro's interactions making it seem like they're just giving each other shit because they enjoy it, rather than the pair of them seeming to genuinely loathe each other.
- McKinley Belcher III's performance as Arlong was really impressive; they expanded the role a lot and he managed to make Arlong feel very threatening and still charismatic.
- The main cast are all solid, too. Luffy's actor managed to actually really sell the character, IMO.

All of them are shit, even (especially) Garp.
Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to hear your motivation for this judgment - I thought the TV series did a lot of work to make Garp's position, if not something one can sympathize or agree with, at least understandable from an emotional standpoint.

I do agree with everything else though. As I've said before, nearly all the characters felt very on point and what changes to characterizations were made (see: Sanji's attitude to women, for example) felt very much for the better.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to hear your motivation for this judgment - I thought the TV series did a lot of work to make Garp's position, if not something one can sympathize or agree with, at least understandable from an emotional standpoint.

I do agree with everything else though. As I've said before, nearly all the characters felt very on point and what changes to characterizations were made (see: Sanji's attitude to women, for example) felt very much for the better.

Garp comes across as a hypocritical, abusive, rage-filled shithead with a couple of redeeming qualities. He chases Luffy's crew because he's related to Luffy, abuses his position to do so and to sic fucking Dracule Mihawk on them, abuses Luffy as a kid (see the boat-wrecking scene), lies and breaks Marine codes, and so on.

He also acts as a fairly respectable mentor for Coby and, to a lesser extent, Helmeppo; if you aren't paying attention it can maybe appear like Garp's a good guy due to his interactions with Coby in the first half/two thirds of the series and due to the personal charisma of the actor playing him.

Like, to be clear, this is canon Garp from the manga, too - there's no such thing as a good Marine and Garp is no exception - but it's made a lot clearer in the live action series without the veneer of cartoonishness taking the edge off some of his behaviour.

I can see that. I do think they put a lot of emphasis on the fact that a big part of his motivation is, ultimately, "keeping his nephew safe" (which he does in a very controlling and domineering fashion, no doubts about that) and standing up against the threat of piracy which we're provided many examples is quite real, and while I agree that doesn't forgives him, I did think it might make him appear more forgivable in a general sense. Especially because, once again with the near-perfect casting choices, they really did manage to get an actor who truly gets across the personal charisma somebody who get called a Hero for decades and is a quite successful commanding officer would have to possess.

i have thoughts tm about Garp's whole thing of being pulled between his family and his duty, and how he will continually flip between which he holds more sacred depending on the situation, and id go into detail about them, but its 1 in the morning and sleep calls for me lol

Netflix's One Piece: The Anime
variety.com

Netflix Orders New ‘One Piece’ Anime Remake Aiming to Capitalize on Live-Action Megahit

In a new Netflix remake, "One Piece" is about to become an anime series — again.
On the heels of the immense success of the first season of its live-action "One Piece" TV series, Netflix has teamed with "One Piece" creator Eiichiro Oda, publisher Shueisha, Fuji Television Network and Toei Animation Co. for a new anime adaptation of Oda's "One Piece" manga series. Yes, this project is completely separate from the existing "One Piece" anime series, produced by Toei Animation, which has been running since 1999.

The remake, titled "The One Piece," will cover the same story told in Oda's manga, beginning at the same point as both the existing anime and Netflix's live-action adaptation: following the "East Blue saga" of aspiring pirate king Monkey D. Luffy and his crew.

Netflix's "The One Piece" is currently in production at WIT Studio, the company behind "Spy x Family" and "Attack on Titan" (Seasons 1-3).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFY_NHLj6g

Well, the original adaptation started airing more than twenty years ago, so i guess it makes some kind of sense.

Has Toei made any comments on this?

On the one hand I would rather get more original anime or adaptations of previously un-adapted works. On the other hand older shonen getting apatations with modern anime pacing has produced some great stuff.

variety.com

‘One Piece’ Season 2 Taps Joe Tracz as Co-Showrunner

The "One Piece" live-action series at Netflix is bringing in Joe Tracz to serve as its new co-showrunner for Season 2.
Tracz will helm the popular series based on the Eiichiro Oda manga of the same name alongside Season 1 co-showrunner, writer, and executive producer Matt Owens. Steven Maeda, who developed the series with Owens and was co-showrunner on Season 1, will step down but continue to serve as an executive producer on the series.

Tracz most recently worked as a writer and co-executive producer on the Disney+ series adaptation of "Percy Jackson and the Olympians." He previously created the Netflix series "Dash & Lily" in addition to serving as showrunner. He also worked on the Netflix series version of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as a writer and producer.

That's interesting. Unfortunate Events and Percy jackson got positive reviews but not as positive as One Piece. it is a bit of a weird time to shuffle the showrunners though given season 2 should be well into production by this point.

Probably it's due to real-life priorities interfering - executive producers still have a lot of weight on the final result of a production cycle, but they don't need to be always available to handle issues the way a show-runner is. Honestly, I'm not too worried; nailing the East Blue is an harder task then getting Alabasta right, since the Alabasta arc has better writing and superior continuity already integrated, so I'd be surprised if the second season turned out worse than the first season.

The only real problem is that there's a lot more devil fruits to adapt; going from 2 in the East Blue to potentially 20 (!) in the Alabasta arc would be an enormous increase in budget, depending on how they decide to handle them. A few of those are easy enough to deal with or even exclude, but others are not, so if there was anywhere I would expect the second season to have trouble, that's what I'd worry about. Those are all budgetary and visualization issues that will likely have been considered first though, and a change in showrunners won't really affect something like that much.

it is a bit of a weird time to shuffle the showrunners though given season 2 should be well into production by this point.
Not quite. I'll admit that pre-production is just as important--if not more--as full-scale production, but still.
www.whats-on-netflix.com

'One Piece' Season 2 To Shoot For 7 Months From June 2024 & Sets New Showrunner

The show has also been casting for numerous roles and is seeing a bit of a shakeup behind the scenes.
... Pre-production is well underway, with shipbuilding in Cape Town, South Africa, and production is scheduled to begin this summer.

Production is due to get underway around June 2024, according to an earlier ProductionWeekly Issue 1393 that was first posted in mid-March 2024. Their listings also suggest the show will continue to film in South Africa but also note Spain and Mexico for next season. However, we've been unable to verify those filming locations. We've since been told that production will begin in mid-June 2024.

We understand it's currently set up for at least a seven-month-and-a-bit shoot, which will take through late January 2025. That's a roughly a similar length shoot to season 1, which filmed for six months and 22 days between January 31st, 2022, through August 22nd.

A representative for FilmAfrika declined to comment on the start date.

damn. they will need to add significant periods of of screen travel or speed up their shooting schedual (or netflix could just renew before closing down the last season for once) if they don't want al lthe acotrs to age out of the parts lol.

Water 7 Saga should be the goal, and even that's blue sky thinking. But God, I wish we could see Marineford and Doflamingo live.

One word: Recasting

Seriously, though, it's only going to go three seasons because Netflix and anything after that would require somebody else picking it up, which isn't likely. MAYBE four seasons if it maintains momentum and the actors still look young enough, but that's far from likely.

Back