Netflix's One Piece

What do they mean they've got scripts ready? The writer's strike is still on and has been on since May, right? They either wrote season 2 well in advance (sounds implausible) or they didn't use the original writers.

They either wrote season 2 well in advance (sounds implausible) or they didn't use the original writers.
Filming wrapped summer last year, and the rest of the time was spent on post-production, so it's possible that the writers can turn out scripts in the meantime. (Jon Favreau, for example, finished writing Season 4 of The Mandalorian while Season 3 was going through post.) But that's assuming the staff already had a clear vision going forward.

Not unlikely, given they are adapting an existing story (so broad outlines are already set) and Baroque Works is that arc

I imagine they had some preparatory scriptwork for the second season done once they finished the first one, to make it more enticing for the production to renew the series. And yeah, Alabasta is probably the most straightforward arc to adapt out of One Piece, except for possibly Wano; all the others are gonna need tinkering and a lot of rewriting work to fit into an eight/ten episode season properly, but that one has a very clear structure that should make it easier to plot.

Up until you hit Thriller Bark I think it's a pretty simple adaptation tbh. Thriller Bark and the Summit War is when you hit some structural problems for a 10-episode season because Thriller Bark imo isn't big enough to be a season but it's also too big to be folded into either the Water 7-Enies Lobby sequence before it or the Summit War after it. So my idea to solve this was for them to do a movie for Thriller Bark, release it on Halloween, and sidestep the problem. So you go from Season 4 (W7-EL) to Thriller Bark: the Movie to Season 5 (Summit War).

Season 3 being Skypiea of course.

Then after the timeskip I think you can just go as normal, Season 6 (timeskip stuff+Fishman), Season 7 (Dressrosa including Punk Hazard), Season 8 (Wholecake including Zou), Season 9 (Wano), Season 10 (Egghead+Levely stuff potentially, or else just the next arc after this current one), Season 11 (Final saga).

This is an MCU level plan though, like that's 11 seasons of top-of-the-line content that only gets more and more expensive as the seasons go and the world gets stranger.

In the interest of not making a fully-spoiler post, I will say that I agree with the last part of your post - while it's possible to make a plan for a full One Piece adaptation covering 10/11 seasons, that's such an ambitious plan that I really aren't holding my hope up for it. As I already said, if they can keep up the quality and just make it to four seasons, I'd be content.

See, while I agree that Thriller Bark is too long to be folded into the Summit War arc (which would absolutely need to cover Sabaody, Impel Down and Marinford in their entirety, the plot doesn't work otherwise), I'm not sure that a movie is the correct take there. That's because, in my opinion, Skypea also doesn't have the material to cover a full season - it would need to either overstretch the material, or be a few episodes short.

Given that, if I was in charge, I'd do something extremely bold: move either Thriller Bark or Skypea around, so that the two of them share a season. I think it can be done, if the secondary story of the season is Blackbeard vs Ace - the Strawhat meet him at the beginning of the Skypea arc, and the group discovers he's defeated Ace just as Thriller Bark ends, so I believe combining the two should be possible.

I know this might seems like a stretch, but I'm honestly very doubtful that Skypea alone would be able to sustain a season, and the Grand Line is so chaotic that swapping arcs around would not be too hard to do.

They already tease Skypiea in the first season, where Nami read the Nolan's Island of Gold story to Zoro. I agree that Skypiea is not a full season worth of story, unless they want to adapt G8 anime-only arc into the live action as well. With how well-received G8 arc by the fanbase, the show writers might as well incorporate it since Going Merry do need to land somewhere after falling off of Skypiea.

See Skypiea imo needs to be where it is in the manga for one incredibly important reason- Robin needs the time to bond with the straw hats. If she doesn't have the time to bond with and start to care for the crew, Water 7 doesn't work nearly as well.

I reckon they could move some stuff around to go into the Skypeia season. Start off with some minor islands like Little Garden, go to Skypeia for four or so episodes, do a G8 two parter, then Foxy and end on Aokiji decimating the Strawhats. That way you could feasibly have Luffy come up with Gear Second/Third offscreen between seasons during their trip to Water 7.

Rather than Little Garden, I feel like Drum Island is the more natural fit to move in the Skypea season; I know that it feels like blasphemy to delay that one, but honestly it's the only island in the Alabasta arc that has no connection to the rest of the plot.

Chopper doesn't do anything important in Alabasta other then help Usopp fight Miss Merry Christmas, and that could easily be modified - especially with the minimalist approach the TV show has taken to the fights. Nami getting sick in Alabasta makes as much sense as her getting sick in Little Garden, so that's really not an obstacle. Character-wise, Chopper is the Strawhat most friendly with Robin, so him joining the crew when she's already part of it would not be a bad choice. And, Drum is where Blackbeard is first mentioned, then Jaya is where he is first shown, so that could create some continuity if those two episodes follow each other. And yeah, I do agree that using Skypea to give Robin a closer bond with the other Strawhats is important - I hadn't really considered that before, but it's really the most important thing about the arc.

Last edited:
Doing a rematch with a friend and I just noticed something. They put Swivel Guns on the Going Merry.......and didn't let Ussop shoot them. Thats just like taunting us. That feels like it should be a literal crime. Ussop better get to fire those at least once next season and the regular Canons too!

Honestly I don't think it is that hard to cut Skypea short and fold into the Water 7/Ennis Lobby season, specially if they do get 10 episodes (which was apparently the original goal). That way you have the whole of Robin arc (from her joining to her being saved) into a single arc. Skypea is very long, sure, but a lot of it is not that importat in the grand scheme of things. For an abridged adaptation, you can cut or de emphasize a lot of fights, flashbacks and such.

Water 7/Enies Lobby is big. Even One Pace needed a full 50 episodes to cover the whole saga. Water 7 itself would almost certainly need three episodes just to itself - one to establish the setting, one for when everything goes wrong with the CP9 reveal and one for the Puffing Tom chase. And Enies Lobby itself is massive. At minimum you'd need an establishing episode, Gear Second/I Want To Live, the big confrontations with CP9 and finally the Buster Call, with one last episode for post-Eines Lobby.

That's a full eight episodes if they don't take their time on the whole thing. You could easily add another two episodes to make this a full ten episode season if you wanted to do the whole thing justice.

Meanwhile, to do Skypeia you'd need at minimum one episode for Jaya/Bellamy and two episodes for Skypeia itself. You'd be better off making Season 3 a bunch of "filler" stuff. One ep for Little Garden, two eps for Drum Island (moving it here after Alabasta because Chopper doesn't do much in Alabasta), three/four eps for Skypeia, two episodes for G8 (there's no way they'd leave it out) and two episodes for Foxy/Aokiji.

Last edited:
I really would put those last two posts under spoilers, because people might come here to discuss only the TV series and it's bad form to spoil them on all the stuff that need to come later. It'll reduce their enjoyment of it a lot, and that seems unfair to me.

Also, I would say that meeting Aokiji absolutely need to be the first episode of the Season in which Enies Lobby takes place, because it establishes the stakes - having that as a season finale doesn't work at all.

Random thought I had while asleep:

Why does Captain Nezumi still have a job? Garp in this timeline has been following the Straw Hats very closely and come in contact with them around Arlong Park.

I'm not sure if the in the manga, Garp would the type to let corruption and incompetence among Marines slide, but in this timeline, he literally strung up Axe-hand Morgan for being an incompetent liar. And given that Garp's not idiot and trusted members of his crew uncovered evidence of Nezumi's corruption, I can't see him allowing Nezumi to keep his position, nevermind not being sent to Impel Down.

Random thought I had while asleep:
Well...
No proof of Nezumi's corruption was found though, as far as I can remember. Sure, he confiscated Nami's money, but those were stolen, and Nami is a pirate so she can't really testify against him. He might be accused of prioritizing other targets over Arlong, but he could easily justify that by stating that he didn't feel he could successfully challenge Along, and then again, Garp is letting the Strawhat go and they're certainly confirmed criminals (having stolen from the Marines), so he can't really throw stones there. It makes sense that Nezumi would be able to keep his job, with that in mind.

Well...
No proof of Nezumi's corruption was found though, as far as I can remember. Sure, he confiscated Nami's money, but those were stolen, and Nami is a pirate so she can't really testify against him. He might be accused of prioritizing other targets over Arlong, but he could easily justify that by stating that he didn't feel he could successfully challenge Along, and then again, Garp is letting the Strawhat go and they're certainly confirmed criminals (having stolen from the Marines), so he can't really throw stones there. It makes sense that Nezumi would be able to keep his job, with that in mind.
Even if we weren't shown much evidence on screen, I don't think evidence would have been that hard to find, given a perfunctory investigation, or even just Hero Garp getting one of Nezumi's underlings alone in a room and giving him an intimidating stare.
Additionally (though I'm not expert on One Piece lore), I don't get the impression that a Marine Vice Admiral needed due process or proof beyond a reasonable doubt to punish a Captain.

He certainly didn't seem to have had that much evidence against Axe-hand Morgan.

Even if we weren't shown much evidence on screen, I don't think evidence would have been that hard to find, given a perfunctory investigation, or even just Hero Garp getting one of Nezumi's underlings alone in a room and giving him an intimidating stare.
Additionally (though I'm not expert on One Piece lore), I don't get the impression that a Marine Vice Admiral needed due process or proof beyond a reasonable doubt to punish a Captain.

He certainly didn't seem to have had that much evidence against Axe-hand Morgan.
In the manga, the Marines stationed there actually reported Axe-Hand Morgan to the HQ for gross misconduct, the man was actually jailed by his own men right before Luffy and Zoro left. Back then when I read the manga I was 100% sure this was why Garp was in East Blue in the first place, to address the Axe-Hand Morgan issue. Helmeppo was threatening a kid with a sword over rice balls, remember.

Edit: This is also perhaps why Nezumi does not get the same punishment as Morgan. There is a very clear lack of direct communication between islands in One Piece outside of letters and Den Den Mushi which seems to be available only for people with significant amount of money. Most of these people do not have direct access to Marine HQ to lodge complaints for misconduct. Axe-Hand Morgan oppressed his own men, his own island so he gets the biggest flak compared to Nezumi.

Last edited:
In the manga, the Marines stationed there actually reported Axe-Hand Morgan to the HQ for gross misconduct, the man was actually jailed by his own men right before Luffy and Zoro left. Back then when I read the manga I was 100% sure this was why Garp was in East Blue in the first place, to address the Axe-Hand Morgan issue. Helmeppo was threatening a kid with a sword over rice balls, remember.

Edit: This is also perhaps why Nezumi does not get the same punishment as Morgan. There is a very clear lack of direct communication between islands in One Piece outside of letters and Den Den Mushi which seems to be available only for people with significant amount of money. Most of these people do not have direct access to Marine HQ to lodge complaints for misconduct. Axe-Hand Morgan oppressed his own men, his own island so he gets the biggest flak compared to Nezumi.
That makes sense, thanks

It's also because, as later arcs show, the Marines are very much NOT a good organization. Garp is the exception, not the norm. By and large, the marines are a bunch of corrupt bastards. Garp is strictly limited in the good he can do as a result.

It's also because, as later arcs show, the Marines are very much NOT a good organization. Garp is the exception, not the norm. By and large, the marines are a bunch of corrupt bastards. Garp is strictly limited in the good he can do as a result.
That was sort of my point though.

The Marines are not a good institution. They're not even a bureaucratized to hell Lawful Neutral organization like the US Military where every minor personnel decision is approved by a two committees. Like, in the US Navy, a Vice Admiral would have limited authority over a Captain if the Captain isn't in the Vice Admiral's chain of command.

But the One Piece Marines are a might-makes-right organization where everyone follows the whims of the superiors. They're basically like a giant pirate crew with a facade of orderliness. Garp, in the East Blue, can do whatever he wants.

That was sort of my point though.

The Marines are not a good institution. They're not even a bureaucratized to hell Lawful Neutral organization like the US Military where every minor personnel decision is approved by a two committees. Like, in the US Navy, a Vice Admiral would have limited authority over a Captain if the Captain isn't in the Vice Admiral's chain of command.

But the One Piece Marines are a might-makes-right organization where everyone follows the whims of the superiors. They're basically like a giant pirate crew with a facade of orderliness. Garp, in the East Blue, can do whatever he wants.
Yeah. The Marines are basically cops. One Piece says ACAB, and that is a big part of why I love it. RE: Garp tho, he can do whatever the hell he wants until someone's political patron or whatever overrules him or a Celestial Dragon tells him what to do. But we're getting away from the original point here.

Interesting that he seems to imply the scripts are being worked on already despite the strike. Guess they're just having British folks from Tomorrow Studios and Oda himself from Japan work on them.

Fuck yeah, Bon Clay time.

Really hope they do Alabasta justice. If they do, the adaption goes from a 7.5/10 to a solid 9.

Back