Netflix, Riot Game & Fortiche's Arcane

The problem when a story starts leaning on themes of oppression and revolution is that story tends to fall apart at the very end unless the writers actually have the courage to say something other than a vague platitude.

After showing that the status quo is untenable and the 'revolutionary' either is a conman or a nutter true believer (Silco is kinda halfway between both) it then fails to come up with a valid third path.

The first two are not just forgivable, they're completely valid. History is full of failed revolutionaries turned Tyrants and opportunists who presented themselves a revolutionaries.

The failure is not managing to imagine something better than failed Status Quo that kicked off the plot in the first place . . . but slightly nicer?
I think the likelihood that Arcane is going to take a bold and nuanced stance on revolutionary leftist politics is very low, sadly.

Kayne war orphan turned deadly assassin who is currently fighting for control of his body vs Rhaast who is an ancient cursed warrior turned into a scythe that looks like Soul Edge. They can get along, but not always and not for long. Both do enjoy killing, though.

Zed is a Ninja and master of a darker clan of ninjas that have the sole goal of protecting their homeland, even if it "upsets the balance of nature". Noxus brought war to their lands, and people like Zed took up arms and said "Fuck balance, I'm getting results".

Akali is a teenage ninja usually under the guidance of the group who seeks balance, but being a teenager (and around the same age as Kayn) she isn't always willing to be patient with or listen to Shen (head ninja of the balance group and former brother in arms of Zed).

Zoe is a crazy child who also holds The Spirit of Twilight, an ancient celestial who is a trickster type and the harbinger of change. Said celestial is also part of the reason Rhaast and others like him were sealed in their weapons to begin with. Can't be a crazy blood mage warrior of great size and power if you get locked in your weapon.....at least that is until some idiot takes hold of said weapon, and then the old warrior can basically take over their body. Buuuuuut currently Zoe has the power but zero attention span and to busy either crushing on Ezreal (traveling archeologist, idiot, and poster pretty boy of League) or pestering a PRIMODIAL COSMIC DRAGON WHO CREATED GALAXIES (Aurelian Sol) who she calls "Space Puppy", much to his annoyance.
Oh okay. Yeah, I don't know any of these characters. But then again, I don't think it will matter since I am watching the show.

I dont know any of these characters. Are half of them about as crazy as jjinx or something?
Lore Kayn is a edgelord champion shadow stalker that wields an evil living sythe. His backstory is a lot like Jink as General Darkwill used children as cannon fodder knowing that Ionians would hesitate to attack kids. After the battle he was the sole survivor and found by Zed a ninja shadow guy who raised him.

Since Zed raised Kayn shipping them is incest like Jinx/Sillco.

Akali mostly has her head together out of the above characters she is the most sane. Kind of a moody teenager but otherwise fine. Rogue ninja who left her previous boss. Shen has a rivalry with Zed after Zed killed his master but not because spoilers.

One of the comics had her call Kayn "hot but crazy"

One of the comics had her call Kayn "hot but crazy"

To be fair, she right.

Anyway, back to Arcane.

We can all figure that Vi will be uterly devestated to learn that Vander has become a menacing murderbeast now called Warwick.
But what about the other Zaunites that knew the ol "Hound of the Underground?"
Jinx, Ekko, Sevika, Babette (the prostitute yordle) knew the guy. Now he's back, bigger and furrier and more ferocious then ever and with the wicked claws to boot.

If anything........out of currently known characters I think the major bosses for the season will be Singed, Warwick and Ambessa, and in the end Vi, Jinx, and Ekko break away to follow their new lives for a bittersweet ending.

I think the likelihood that Arcane is going to take a bold and nuanced stance on revolutionary leftist politics is very low, sadly.
I want to see a mainstream work that advocates tearing down the current system and building something better instead of political liberalism
To be fair, she right.

Anyway, back to Arcane.

We can all figure that Vi will be uterly devestated to learn that Vander has become a menacing murderbeast now called Warwick.
But what about the other Zaunites that knew the ol "Hound of the Underground?"
Jinx, Ekko, Sevika, Babette (the prostitute yordle) knew the guy. Now he's back, bigger and furrier and more ferocious then ever and with the wicked claws to boot.

If anything........out of currently known characters I think the major bosses for the season will be Singed, Warwick and Ambessa, and in the end Vi, Jinx, and Ekko break away to follow their new lives for a bittersweet ending.
I mean Rhaast wants his body.

will Ambessa be mad at Mel's death?

seeing Vander become Warwick will be sad/ SInged getting involve in Noxus

You can still tell the choice to make Arcane canon was something done on a whim within the last 2 years since Caitlyn got a ASU around the time Arcane came out and it did nothing to her backstory to align itself with what happens in Arcane.

Riot treats it's lore so poorly and changes it on a whim. I do not want them in charge of Arcane

You can still tell the choice to make Arcane canon was something done on a whim within the last 2 years since Caitlyn got a ASU around the time Arcane came out and it did nothing to her backstory to align itself with what happens in Arcane.

Riot treats it's lore so poorly and changes it on a whim. I do not want them in charge of Arcane

Ummm, they kind of are in charge since they still have a say in the product.

to be honest, the only thing between Basic League and Arcane that has never clicked for me is HEIMERDINGER.

Like, in typical basic lore Heimerdinger is a scientist building crazy inventions/machines. Sometimes he uses glammor to disguise himself as a human to live among the people of Piltover and Zaun (because it is a thing Yordles do to hide amongst commonfolk), and other times he somehow has a whole team of Yordles helping him make a large mechanical T-Rex, because why the fuck not?
Yet in Arcane he is not just a scientist, he is a long standing member of Piltover's Council as well as a founder of the city itself. Here he is chipper, but much calmer then his game versions and does not trust magic (albeit for damn good reason).

For every other League character in Arcane things still line up well.
Caitlyn - crack shot with a rifle and a lady of class and deductive skills.
Vi - Punch first. Snark. Kid with a past and now working with law lady Cait.
Jinx - Unhinged. Armed to the teeth.
Ekko - Fighting for the little guy, used to have a crush on Jinx.

etc. etc.

For every other League character in Arcane things still line up well.
Caitlyn - crack shot with a rifle and a lady of class and deductive skills.
Vi - Punch first. Snark. Kid with a past and now working with law lady Cait.
Jinx - Unhinged. Armed to the teeth.
Ekko - Fighting for the little guy, used to have a crush on Jinx.
Singed could still be recruited by Noxus and Warwick is gonna do his werewolf thing regardless.

Camille, Orianna and Blitzcrank could reasonably be explained to come into things much later-but trying to explain Janna, Twitch and Urdnot-who alone will be a challenge in and of itself-will complicate things even more.

Singed could still be recruited by Noxus and Warwick is gonna do his werewolf thing regardless.

Camille, Orianna and Blitzcrank could reasonably be explained to come into things much later-but trying to explain Janna, Twitch and Urdnot-who alone will be a challenge in and of itself-will complicate things even more.

Actually while it might be weird to slip a "god" who exists through the belief of the people into the story, Twitch and Urgot would not be that hard.

For Twitch, just make him that Rat that Singed dopped up years ago to kill a cat. The example that he showed Silco in their underwater base.

For Urgot, the guy is a Noxian and now we have a Noxian occupation about to happen, so have him come in as maybe Ambessa's enforcer or something.

Huh, maybe its not as Challenging as I thought. Maybe it just seems that way because trying to condense/change all of these characters to fit the Arcane setting would basically just be a rewrite of the entire lore. But-to bring us back to the original question-what is League Lore anyway?

Huh, maybe its not as Challenging as I thought. Maybe it just seems that way because trying to condense/change all of these characters to fit the Arcane setting would basically just be a rewrite of the entire lore. But-to bring us back to the original question-what is League Lore anyway?
A miserable little pile of secrets!

But enough talk, have at you!

Truth is, there is no League "Lore" - there is only the Current Meta.

A miserable little pile of secrets!

But enough talk, have at you!

Truth is, there is no League "Lore" - there is only the Current Meta.
yes lore gets retconnned then they ignore the lore and then they retconned it again.

also they won't put the work of updating champions in game which is why Zilean and Gragas hurt to look at.
retcons on retcons.

alongside only happening to sell skins. see what happened to Yorick.

RIot also would not update old champions. or if they do at a snail's pace

Last edited:
I think I'm with the majority of Arcane-specific fans in not caring the least bit about the game lore as long as it doesn't interfere with the show's writing. If the show has to start twisting its writing to keep continuity with all the other nonsense happening in the LoL-verse then I think most people are gonna check out.

I think I'm with the majority of Arcane-specific fans in not caring the least bit about the game lore as long as it doesn't interfere with the show's writing. If the show has to start twisting its writing to keep continuity with all the other nonsense happening in the LoL-verse then I think most people are gonna check out.
the good news is even normal league lore doesn't bother to keep continuity with league lore :V

Back