Mountains of Faith (Warhammer Fantasy/Dragon Age Crossover)

SECHS
AN: Thanks again to @RedrumSprinkles for helping me out on the technical end of this. Hope you guys enjoy, and please please forgive any of my... finagling with the lore on both ends.

Eve wasn't sure what happened. One moment, she was demanding answers from Lord Lucius, the next, she was tossed into a rift, Reinhardt dragged along with her.

She had no idea where they were. A fog surrounded them, with distant fires revealing a strangely familiar hall. Reinhardt had this wild look on him,clutching his maul so hard his hand was as white as bleached bone, chanting in Anderfel.

"Reinhardt!' Eve commanded, taking hold of him. "Calm down!"

"Where are we? Where are the demons?!" he roared.

"I don't know," she said turning from him. "But panic will do us no good."

"Yes. You're right," he said calming himself down. "What now?"

"I… think we have no choice but to move forward..." she sighed. As if her life couldn't get any weirder.

"It's toying with us," he scowled. "Like a wolf playing with its prey. I know of no demon that would do this." he waved his hand about.

"You're certain it's a demon?" Eve asked. "How?"

"I've… heard of men possessed by demons. Just a shell, a prisoner within their own bodies as the demon goes on to destroy everything they loved." He sighed.

Eve shivered at the thought. "Let's move on. I'd rather not dwell on that," she said as she stepped forward, following the fires.

It turned out the fires weren't coming from torches. They were corpses. Kneeling while burning, just like back at the Breach where all… this started. Reinhardt was visibly worried, chanting ever more from that holy book of his

Not that she could blame him. She was terrified, and like the rest of her life so far, seemed to jump from one event to another each time, making things progressively weirder and worse.

As they approached what looked like the end of the burning bodies, Eve caught sight of two familiar, impossible faces. Cullen clad in plate and that fur coat on his shoulders, and Josephine in her golden dress.

Last to come in was Lelianna, knife in hand.

"Does this form please you?" the demon, for that was not Lelianna's voice, spoke

"Begone foul Demon!" Reinhardt roared.

"You don't belong here!" the demon hissed as it slit the illusionary Cullen's throat. "I don't want to be you!"

"Be him?" Eve asked.

"All must serve their place in the Elder one's plan! He will ascend to Godhood and I will get to be you!" it screeched as it turned back to Eve. It's back turned to Reinhardt, he smashed the fake Lelianna's face in.

All they heard was laughter echoing through their bones.

"We haven't slain it," Reinhardt said as a door appeared on the wall before them. "I fear we're doing what it wants."

"Any chance your god, Sigmar can do anything?' Eve asked as she turned to him.

He shook his head. "This is a trial we must go through on our own. Maybe later he'll send us a sign."

Eve sighed as they walked on. That… that was another problem. Reinhardt, a warrior priest of sorts? With a god who actively grants blessings to his followers? If- no when the rest found out, well… She'd hate to be part of that shit storm.

What was she thinking, she'd be at the center of that shitstorm. She brought them aboard after all. She wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day this… Sigmar had fresh new converts.

The Inquisition, home of heretics, pagans, and apostates. As if the Chantry didn't have enough reasons to fear them.

"What is this?" Reinhardt asked as they passed into a familiar cellar. The one from Haven, where she first met Cassandra. "Why are you chained and surrounded?"

"It was a misunderstanding." she sighed. "I was the only survivor of where the Breach now is. They say I walked out of it...The Breach that is."

"Alive and untainted," he muttered. "You are blessed. By who I cannot say."

"I never asked to be treated like the next coming of Andraste." she sighed.

"Good good," the demon cackled as they passed into the next room. This time soldiers bearing the golden eye of the Inquisition chatting, all wondering at the speed the Inquisition managed to gain power and influence.

Each room they passed, the scenes got darker and grimmer. To her horror, the Inquisition, something she joined to bring order, was now torturing the innocent, killing her friends, twisting it into something she'd never imagine it to be.

"Do you see? This is what the Inquisition will become once I become you!" it cackled as they entered the final door. The demon probably had enough to fake being her, judging from the pillars that spat ethereal emerald fires. They can not pass.

"We've done what it wanted." Reinhardt sighed. "Walked into it willingly."

"We can't give up now," Eve said as she looked about the room. "There has to be a way past!"

"Look!" Reinhardt said as he turned around. "A new door."

Eve walked over, and opened it, revealing a small office, a center at the very center of it. She towards it, mindful of any traps before she opened it. Finding it empty, she sighed, and looked around for any way past the fires.

"I watched you and the templars as you walked in. You impressed them, but not like the Lord Seeker" a new voice, a young man's said.

"The Lord Seeker is a demon," Reinhardt stated hand firmly grasped on his maul. "Where are you, demon?"

"I'm not a demon," said the young man as he appeared on the chest. Dead eyes under a wide brimmed hat stared at her as the young man spoke. ""Envy is trying to take your face. I heard, reached out and then in. Now I'm here."

"You're an invisible spirit that enters people's minds?" Eve asked. "Does this mean I'm in my own mind? Reinhardt too?"

"Yes. Time slows to a crawl outside, but I wouldn't say it's safe for either of you here." the spirit said.

"We're in the Realm of Morr," Reinhardt breathed. "As close to one can get to without dying. At least I think so. And you… must be sent to help us."

"Grim, black and filled with skulls. Feared but respected. Don't care, all come to see Morr's garden.Father rests there now." the spirit said as it looked into Reinhardt. "I.. don't know who Morr is, but I want to help."

"The demon wishes to possess you," Reinhardt stated as he looked into Eve's eyes, his blue brining with something Eve has never seen before. "We must defeat him before he can make you a prisoner within your own body." he said before turning to the spirit. "Spirit, if you are indeed sent by the gods, help us leave! How can we defeat this Envy? Help us so that we may send you to rest in Morr's garden!"

"The more you push, the more Envy tires. It's hard to be someone. Being many, and it breaks." the spirit stated, before cocking its head. "I'm not what you think I am… I think."

"Thank you friend spirit. May we know your name?" Reinhardt said.

"Cole… My name is Cole," he said as he walked past them towards the fires.

"I'm glad it's so friendly," Reinhardt whispered as he walked to Eve. "Few are the spirits I've seen that rest easy. This one must have been killed by the demon and won't rest till we have slain it."

"I think you and I have very different ideas of spirits," Eve said as she followed Cole out towards the fires.

"Think of water," it said as it stared at the fires. "Ideas are stronger here. It's your mind."

"Water?" she thought, thinking of the Waking Sea. How the waters ever churned along the Storm Coast, water raining down like there was no tomorrow.

And instead of fire there was now only water.

"That thing cannot help you!" the demon screeched.

"It's working!" Reinhardt smiled. "Onwards!"

They pushed forward, each time entering rooms where her friends, people she'd come to trust screech her name in anger and agony. The demon cackled as it watched Eve pass her friends suffer under this farce that was called the Inquisition. The worst part was that it looked so real. The demon wore her face, used her voice, and had her friends tortured in ways she couldn't bear to see. What hurt the most was the look of betrayal on their eyes. She paused to stand in front of each of them, knowing that though it was an illusion, it all just looked so real.

Reinhardt stood by her side each time, not a word spoken. She was glad he knew when to keep quiet. The fact that they were in her mind, meant that he, a stranger, might see some of her more private thoughts… she was glad he knew to keep his distance.

Cole… the spirit helped. In twists and turns, he'd show a path that was not there moments ago. Still, if what she'd read about them was true, then she had to be careful They can twist into demons under certain circumstances. The fact that she didn't know what those were meant she had to be ever more watchful.

For a man sworn to destroy demons, Reinhardt seemed to trust Cole. Perhaps a quirk of his gods, or this increasingly strange Empire he talked of.

At last they came to what had to be the demon's threshold. Its rants on the Elder One, and how he'd ascended had transcended into a blind fury, promising vengeance in what it would bring about when this was all over.

Now they were at a battlefield, surrounded by shades, lesser demons drawn into the world from the Fade. Bodies littered the ground, all from Orlais… But why Orlais?"

"Behold! Your Inquisition will become hosts to the horde of demons my master will unleash. And when he ascends, I will be left to rule!" It bellowed. "We will drive through the heart of the Empire and burn all to prepare for his ascent!. Show me what you'd do to fight it!"

Okay he's angry.

"Or don't. He can't make you," said Cole. "You're getting stronger. You're almost there."

The end in sight, Eve pushed onwards, ignoring the wailing cries of the dying as best she could, Reinhardt in tow. In minutes they were back where all this weirdness began, at the doors to the Great Keep. Before she could test the door, the demon popped up right behind them, knocking Reinhardt to the floor.

"Unfair! The thing kept you whole, and the intruder helped you onwards!" the thing screeched, its outline very distinctly her own. "We'll do this again. This time, more pain. The intruder will be useful there, yesssss." it cackled.

"It's afraid of you," Cole said, popping up behind it.

"Away!" the demon cursed, turning its back on her.

Eve took the opportunity to stab the damn thing in the back. Eve wouldn't lie to herself to say that she didn't enjoyed its squeals as her sword went through the impersonator's plate like it was never there. Instead of blood pouring out of the wound, only blinding light spilled forth. She smiled as the warmth of the light embraced her, and she saw nothing.
_

She was back on the steps of the Great Keep. But instead of the body of Lord Seeker Lucius in front of her, there stood a demon, skin of a babe, streched along great gangly limbs.It screeched, its cry echoing through the keep like a thousand screaming swallows, before it turned into a cloud of green smoke that flowed past the army of templars beyond the doors and further beyond past some great glowing green barrier, barring the way further into the keep.

"Lord Seeker?" Barris exclaimed in a panic.

"That was no man." Reinhardt grunted. "A demon infests your ranks, and donning the skin of your leader, corrupted your Order's leadership." he spat. "Envy was its name."

"Envy." Cassandra exclaimed. "That means only one thing."

"The Lord Seeker is caged or dead!" Barris cried. "It took his form, then corrupted the captains with the red lyrium. They often give us new lyrium, and the captains take it first to prove it's safe."

"And now it lies beyond that barrier," Kat said as she eyed Reinhardt. "Brother?"

"Sigmar!" he began as he chanted in that foreign tongue of his. He chanted, hand on his maul, yet nothing came. No glow, no warmth, nothing. He ended, turning back to the party. "Sigmar will not help us in this." shaking his head. "I sense there are trials we must endure."

"Brothers!" Barris said as he turned to his fellow templars. "What is Envy?"

"A coward!" they roared. "It studies! But above all else it hides!" They chanted.

"They may have the captains," Barris said as he turned towards the party. "But the lieutenants may fight on. Find them and the untainted lyrium, and we will finish what this man failed to do."

"What about you?" Eve asked.

"We will hold." Barris said as he turned towards the rest of the templars.

"Go," Reinhardt said as he leaned against a pillar. "Kat and I will help these men hold off the Storm."

"What? Why?" Eve asked as she strode towards him.

"This will be the center of the storm. The demon will summon all he can spare to take this barrier." Kat said, her voice an echo on the wind. "Between Reinhardt and I, we have held our ground in more battles than I dare imagine.' she sighed. "A lamentable experience."

"Alright," she sighed. Far be it for her to demand they come with her, their reasoning was sound. And these templars looked far too tired for her tastes. "Do what you can."

"Very well then," she smiled as she turned towards the rest of the party. "Let's find those lieutenants."

I always did the Mage storyline because, you know, the guy was fucking around with time and space, and the Templars could never convince me that they were more important or could do more damage corrupted.

I always did the Mage storyline because, you know, the guy was fucking around with time and space, and the Templars could never convince me that they were more important or could do more damage corrupted.
That's fair, though I for one am iffy on Mage-Templar side.

Like there are legitimate issues for both sides, but I think the Templars are more in the right here.

Like there are legitimate issues for both sides, but I think the Templars are more in the right here.
Exactly.

Funny thing is, I keep imagining the Empire and Feralden sharing a border, and mages run INTO Feralden. Why? Well, let's see, the religion in the Empire begins with "And then all mages were burnt to death or went into the Colleges".

And they don't need Templars to get Mages dealt with permanently. There's an entire order of people whose job it is to handle shit like this, plus the priests can do stuff other then write letters asking for assistance.

SIEBEN
AN: Told you guys I have a lot of this already written up. thanks once more to @RedrumSprinkles for being my grammar nazi, and helping fix this up. Hope you all enjoy.

Kat found it hard to think of something she could be prouder of than seeing her little brother act like he was now. The moment the woman, Eve, left in search of templar lieutenant and this 'lyrium', Reinhardt turned round and asked who was the most senior among them.

Turned out to be Barris, the same man who let them in, was a veteran of several hunts for rogue mages, but no battles. Reinhardt directed him to have these green men amble up into a shieldwall, barricaded the doors, and positioned archers atop the steps by the barrier.

Between herself and Reinhardt, Kat estimated that they had seen enough battle for each of these greenhorns. Kat could tell, few of them had seen battle before, the fear evident in their eyes. Barris did his best to keep the men focused, giving them as many tasks he could.

Time would tell if it would be enough.

"How old are you?" Barris asked Reinhardt, as the cries of the mutated cultists grew louder.

"Twenty six," Reinhardt huffed. "And a veteran of… 15 battles by my count. More skirmishes than I can keep track of either."

"Maker, I'm older than you and you've seen so much," he sighed. "How many enemies does your people have?"

"Countless," Reinhardt sighed as the pounding on the doors began.

"A warrior priest of Sigmar would take this moment to remind the men of their enemies, but I am not these men's leader." Reinhardt said as he turned to Barris.

"Me?" he whispered as the pounding on the doors grew more frantic.

"We are strangers, and you have rallied these men in the absence of your commanders." Reinhardt nodded. "Lead, remind them of their duty. We may aid in the laying the foundation, but you must be the pillar for these men in this time." He pointed at the templars that were with them, rested and whole, but their spirits wavering underneath their fine plate and tower shields.

Barris paused before nodding, turning towards his brothers in arms as he raised his voice."Brothers and Sisters! We stand here today, deceived by our commanders, our leaders. We are the last of the uncorrupted members of our order!" he roared pointing at the great oaken doors being pounded on by the cultists.

"Already our former comrades, abominations now, beat on those doors!" he screamed. "Yet will we let our order fall this day?" he paused, letting a resounding chorus of no's echo throughout the hall. "We are Templars! Champions of the Just! Let us earn back that name tonight!" he finished as the mutants broke through, screaming all the while.

Most of the cultists were still recognizably human, hidden under fine suits of plate underneath red tabards. These guided their maddened, mutated fellows, more beast than man, strange crystal growths growing out of their hunched backs, and clawed hands. Their inhuman strength guided by the cruel cunning of the traitors,were the raging river, pushing against the makeshift levee that was the templar shieldwall.

Reinhardt ran along the line, bolstering where the line was weakest, dealing Sigmar's wrath as he chanted from the Deus Sigmar. He spoke of the great deeds of Sigmar, this time quotes from what sounded like Black Fire pass, somehow ending each verse just as he smashed in an opponent. Typical showboat.

Kat, channeled the winds of magic. Chamon was strong here, and it was now that she dared perform one of the order's most deadly spells.

She pooled the winds into her hands, channeling them as she had been taught so long ago. Then, seeing a crystal encrusted mutant the size of a minotaur burst through the door, she knew she had her target. She unleashed the spell, concentrating all the while lest she bring upon a fate worse than death upon her.

It wouldn't do to tempt fate twice in a day.

The mutant screamed as first its legs, then its torso slowly turned to solid gold. Inch by inch it screamed until at last it could no longer move, now a single solid statue of solid gold. Already several other mutants and cultists shared the same fate, turning into smaller, yet no less dead statues of pure gold. In mere seconds, the victims screamed their last and a small statuary now blocked the cultists path.

"Maker's breath!" panted Barris as he turned to Kat. "That's no magic I've ever seen!"

"I am a Wizard of the Gold Order," Kat replied, turning to him. "The Lore of Metal, and all alchemy is mine and my colleagues to command. Many a Wizard of the Colleges has turned the tide of a battle with a single spell. "

"And I've never seen it happen in such a… spectacular fashion."

"I've been told so often enough," Kat grinned. "Enough, the mutants will clear away the statues soon. We must prepare-"

With a crash, the statue of the behemoth fell, toppling over nearby statues. Again the mutants poured through like a river breaching a dam. Again they poured forth, smashing against the templar lines, a crazed bunch of mad animals. The templars held for all their worth. They stood fast, pushing against the mutants as they clawed their way forward.

Kat did her best to support the templars. Strengthening their armor and blades, destroying what tools the cultists had… yet after turning that behemoth into gold, the winds had died down quite a bit. She had to pace herself and hope that this was but a mere break, otherwise she was just a woman with a shiny staff and a decent swordarm.

"Reinhardt!" she cried, noting the mutants begin to push back. "We-"

"Almighty Sigmar!" he cried, smashing in a cultist's helm. "I beseech thee, aid us in our endeavour today!" he said as he raised his maul, glowing against the dark. "Smite your enemies Sigmar!" he roared as his hammer let loose an explosion of light.

Dozens of the fell beasts burned, their bodies writhing in agony, as if their very skin turned to fire. Sigmar's wrath cleansed the hall of the mutants, and more than a few of the cultists driving the survivors away in fear, as a righteous gods' wrath fell upon the world.

"Forward!" Barris roared, pushing back against the horde. Kat joined, Reinhardt at her side, as together they slashed and crushed any who still stood against the frenzied templars, screaming cries for their Maker as they slew their former comrades in arms.

The templars charged forth, unleashing their wrath against the traitors they once called brother.Scattered and broken as they were, those that were caught under the templar blades were given swift deaths. The pain of betrayal, soothed by the balm of justice done.

In moments it was over. Cries of victory echoed throughout the hall as Barris and his fellows celebrated their win. Kat, however, knew better. Chances are, there were more of them lurking in the castle, and this was but a momentary respite. More will come, and Kat didn't know if they'd be able to hold off another.

The mutants had dealt more than their fair share of damage. Once promising knights lay dead on the floor, the hall slick with their blood. Others remain grievously wounded, already being tended to as best their comrades could

"Blessed are the righteous, the lights in the shadow. In their blood the Maker's will is written." a templar murmured, his voice echoing throughout the hall. Fitting, Kat supposed as she took a look at the survivors, not a one untouched by the battle. Another attack like this...

"Open the doors!" cried someone from a side passage.

"Who goes there?" asked the attending templar.

"It's Lieutenant Darron you-"

"It's me the Herald!" cried Eve. "We've brought both reinforcements and the lyrium!"

"Excellent!" Barris cried as he signaled for the door to be opened. In streamed a dozen men in full plate, accompanying Eve and the others. To a man, each of them looked like they were filled with the wrath of the gods as they looked upon the hall.

"You lot!" one of them ordered. "Shore up the barricades over at the great doors. You! Clear up the bodies. If we're to fight we must have a clear field." As the surviving templars scurried to follow their orders, Eve walked up to Kat and Reinhardt, a grim look on her face.

"What happened?" she asked.

"We held them off," Reinhardt stated. "Could've been worse I suppose."

"Worse? It's as if you lot just fought Denerim." Sera stared as she took count of the bodies.

"I have… seen enough battlefields to recognize good work," the older one with the great black berard commented.

"When you've fought a Greenskin horde, you learn what it means to be outnumbered," Kat shrugged. "How much longer till these templars can take down the barrier? They will not take long to rally another attempt."

"Not long," Barris nodded. "Most of the preparations are not for the ritual, but for the battle that is sure to come. You must hold them off."

"Again?"

"Aye. Much of the veterans will be performing it. There is no way that those things will just let us take down." Barris sighed.

"Let them come," Reinhardt snorted. "We dispensed justice once. We will do so again. We shall make Sigmar proud this day," he grunted as Kat smiled beneath her mask. Just imagine how he'd have turned out if she were around to knock more sense into him she thought. Oh well, perhaps here she can help him become so much more.

"Glad to see you're so confident," Eve smiled. "Well, if you two caused all this," she pointed at the climbing pile of bodies. "Let's see how much more they have left to throw at us."

Kat let their bravado climb. They'd need it.

Kat's presence is going to cause a Gold market crash isn't it? :D

Still good to see that the Templars are earning their victory and willing to work with Foreign 'mages'.

If only it was actual gold.

Then they could justify getting rid of the currency system like they did in actual inquisition.

The College of the Gold Order is more like a alchemist and blacksmith order than anything else. Warhammer Mages are rather limited that they can only branch into one area of magic, but they are really good in that one area.
Where do you think they put all that money into?
The Gold order believes that Gold collects Chamon like a copper lightning rod. if they can do permanent gold transmutation, then its Unlimited Powah. And money too but still. Unlimited Powah.

Some of the more radical members even experiment with the forbidden material, warpstone, believing it key to harnessing Chamon to turn lead to gold.

So I notice that both Reinhardt and Kat can use their divine and arcane powers within this new world.

For Reinhardt, I'm guessing that possible reasons for this are:

(a). He acts as a living connection and anchor for Sigmars power within the Dragon Age world, allowing his Gods influence to reach between realities.

(b). Having been touched by Sigmars divine power and being one of his holy champions, Reinhardt carries a whisper of his gods essence within his being. Since Sigmars power within the mortal world seems largely driven/fueled/invoked by the Faith and valor of his believers, Reinhardt resonates, channels and amplifies the essence of Sigmars divine majesty.
Now that the idea/essence/expression that is Sigmar has been introduced to the Dragon Age world, it can spread to and be expressed by any others who might wish to join his faith.

As for Kat, I'm guessing that she is basically channeling the power of the Fade. The energies of the Fade are more easily and safely channeled and expressed compared to the aetheric essences of the Winds of Magic.

Indeed mastering a Wind of Magic requires the reshaping of your philosophies, perspectives and (both literally and metaphorically) your very soul. For example, it is for this reason that so many Bright Wizards are red headed, passionate and (sometimes quite literally) hot blooded; their minds, bodies and souls having been reforged by Aqshy through their devotion to the principles and tenants of the Lore of Fire.
Similarly Gold wizards such as Kat often appear to have golden skin.

So I think that since Kat (like all powerful wizards) is basically a living totem of one of the Winds of Magic and its associated lore, she is acting as a living metaphysical lens when she casts spells within this new world, expressing the (compared to the energies of the Warp) easily mallable power of the Fade as Chamon. Not unlike how the true Winds of Magic are the power of the Warp refracted by the material world.
She likely would not even be aware of this, as she'd be harnassing the power of Fade in immediate metaphysical proximity to herself, which would surely be flavored as Chamon by her own gold hued conscious mind and soul.

Last edited:
Hold fast to your faith, brothers. Grammar is incoming.
"Begone foul Demon!" Reinhardt roared.
"Begone, foul Demon!" Reinhardt roared.
"Thank you friend spirit.
"Thank you, friend spirit.
"Smite your enemies Sigmar!"
"Smite your enemies, Sigmar!"

A Direct Address comma is used when you directly address the person being spoken to in dialog, such as by saying their name. Put one after the name if it's at the beginning of the sentence, one before the name if it's at the end, and one on either side if it's in the middle. These can significantly alter the meaning of a sentence, so here are some examples showing why they are important.

"Let's eat, Grandma." -> Inviting your grandmother to join you in a meal.
"Let's eat Grandma." -> Conspiracy to commit murder and cannibalism.

"Shoot, Jake!" -> You are telling Jake to shoot something.
"Shoot Jake!" -> You are telling someone to shoot Jake.

"Bob, hit me." -> You are asking Bob to hit you, for some reason.
"Bob hit me." -> You are dobbing Bob in for assaulting you.

"Come on, Sally." -> You are urging Sally to engage in some unspecified task or activity.
"Come on Sally." -> You are telling someone to, err... Never mind.

Note that you still do this even if you are using something in place of an actual name.

"Damn you, you vile wench." -> Damn that vile wench.
"Damn you you vile wench." -> Word salad.

"And that, my friend, is why I ate your cat." -> A perfectly ordinary conversation.
"And that my friend is why I ate your cat." -> Blargelbarf.

I wouldn't say it's safe for either of you here." the spirit said.
I wouldn't say it's safe for either of you here," the spirit said.
but I am not these men's leader." Reinhardt said as he turned to Barris.
but I am not these men's leader," Reinhardt said as he turned to Barris.
In their blood the Maker's will is written." a templar murmured
In their blood the Maker's will is written," a templar murmured

Dialogue punctuation!
Essentially, what to end lines of dialogue with and how to continue from there. The general idea is that-

"Hats are fun," she said.​

-is technically a single sentence, as 'she'->'said'->"Hats are fun" is an accurate description of what happened, so you use a comma instead of a period at the end of the dialogue section and make the next word lower case, while-

"Hats are fun." She was adamant of her claim.​

-is two sentences, because 'she'->'adamant of her claim'->'Hats are fun'doesn't make sense, and thus gets a period and a capital in the next word. It's the same thing with question marks and exclamation marks. Use lower case if it's part of the same sentence-

"Hats are fun?" she asked.
"Hats are fun!" she exclaimed.​

-and upper case if it's not.

"Hats are fun?" She seemed confused by the idea.
"Hats are fun!" She was, perhaps, a little too excited about it.​

You do the same sort of thing when you have the "She said" part before the dialogue; Use a comma if it's part of the same "sentence". The dialogue should still always start with a capital unless the line began earlier and was interrupted by the narration.

She said, "Hats are fun."
"Hats," she said, "are fun."​

"Any chance your god, Sigmar can do anything?' Eve asked as she turned to him.
"Any chance your god Sigmar can do anything?' Eve asked as she turned to him.
"Any chance your god, Sigmar, can do anything?' Eve asked as she turned to him.

Which of these you would use (commas or no commas) depends on Eve's idea of how significant the other gods are.

The first example, without the commas, implies that when she says "god", there are multiple possible things she could be referring to and that specifying that it is Sigmar as opposed to another one is necessary.

Using the commas turns the word "Sigmar" into a nonessential element, meaning that she could only be referring to a single thing and that specifying that it's Sigmar is redundant.

The first example is the more accurate one to use as there are multiple significant gods, but the second one could be used if you wanted to imply that Eve is only taking the one who she's seen evidence of seriously and discounting the rest.

ACHT
AN: New bit up and ready! Hope you guys enjoy, and i'd love to hear more discussion on the Fade and other associated thoughts on divinity. Thanks again to @RedrumSprinkles for giving this a looksee before release.

The moment these 'templars' began their strange ritual, drinking that pulsing blue mineral they called lyrium, the cultists renewed their assault. Reinhardt knew in his bones that they would not retreat, for they knew it was victory or death.

Of course, the same could be said for his party, but semantics.

They had far less mutants now, drawing instead from the more sane ones. Again and again, they charged forth, clashing with their own lines. Reinhardt dashed to and fro, reinforcing where the line was weak, bellowing passages all the while.

"He bade them stand against the dark! Together, they fought off the Old Night!" he roared as he smashed in a cultist's head, even as a bolt of lightning soared over his head and fried an incoming cultist.

Taking a brief moment to nod in thanks to the wizard, the elf Solas, Reinhardt returned to the battle. He chanted, asking for Sigmar's aid once more.

"Oh mighty Sigmar!" he cried as he smashed in another cultist's chest. "Hear my prayer! Grant us the strength today, to fight off the minions of the Old Night once more! Grant that we may stand together as one, and fight!" he finished. Reinhardt sensed nothing, and knew Sigmar demanded they fight this battle on their own terms. So be it, man can overcome the evils of the world alone. Sigmar merely evens the playing field.

And today, they were well matched. The woman, Eve and her myriad assortment of companions fought very well. The foreign wizard, Vivienne, certainly had to be kept an eye on, no telling how well trained they were against the trickery of demons, but he could trust the Elf to cast mighty spells. Eve and the other warriors, the stoic Blackwall and scarred Cassandra fought such that they would be worthy of entering any Knightly order, or possibly even the Reiksguard were they servants of the Empire. The other Elf, Sera, still boggled Reinhardt, yet she possessed the skill of an High Elf, picking out targets from far away in instants.

Reinhardt wondered if he and Kat were still drifting through the Ether, and this was all a tortured fantasy concocted by one of the dark gods.

He shook his head. He had no time for what ifs now. There was a battle to be won, honor and glory to attain!

Once more, he fell into the trance, ducking and weaving, crushing the enemies of man. Now there was only the battle, him, and Sigmar above as he cried out and dispensed the will of his God.

In moments it was over. The last of the cultists dead or dying on the gore slicked floor of the hall. Yet the barrier still stood, and the veterans and Barris all still deep in some sort of trance as they worked to bring it down.

"How much longer?" Reinhardt asked Eve as he walked towards her, maul in hand.

"Can't be much longer. Look," she pointed at the barrier, already beginning to shimmer. She turned back to him and asked, "Your god… Sigmar, does he have any help to give?"

Reinhardt shook his head. "We must prove ourselves to him in the next battle. I sense that much. He has already paved the way, we must merely prove ourselves worthy of it."

"Your god doesn't make sense to me," she said as she leaned over.

"Many an Estalian or Tilean would say the same," Reinhardt smiled. "Doesn't prevent Sigmar from protecting them by keeping the Empire whole. You're always welcome to learn more if you want. I've memorized the Deus Sigmar, and can tell you his life story."

Eve scoffed before moving on to check on the others. He didn't mind her or others not knowing of Sigmar, he was no true priest, capable of divining his deeper mysteries. Nor was he meant to spread his word. He was meant to deal justice directly unto his foes, with or without his aid.

Yet to be honest, Reinhardt found it perplexing how often Sigmar answered his prayers. Was it a sign of the conflicts to come? That they face something powerful enough that Sigmar must turn his gaze on them? It was rare for Sigmar to answer prayers, let alone for a Templar such as he.

It was times like these that Reinhardt wished he knew the mysteries of the priesthood. Maybe then he could interpret the signs and portents, instead of them passing on by.

The sound of shattering glass brought Reinhardt out of his musings. The barrier had fallen, and the path was clear. Wordlessly, he and the rest of the party followed Eve while the veteran templars stayed behind, too exhausted from their ritual.

In minutes, they reached the end of the path, a great courtyard slick from the storm that now washed over the castle and the last dozen cultists, still clad in the ornate armor that spoke of commanders. And at the center of it all, amidst the last of its deluded followers and under that damned Breach, was the demon in its true form. An amalgam of gaunt limbs and newborn flesh, hissing as the party approached weapons drawn.

"You will all die," it hissed as it pointed at the party. "Kill them for the Elder One!"

With a cry, the two groups clashed while the demon watched from the rear. These monsters were obviously once the best men of the order, as they fought with both the experience of a lifetime, and unholy strength given to them by their forsaken master.

Fortunately, Kat proved the deciding factor as their armor turned to rust, and their razor sharp blades, were naught but lead cudgels when she was done with them. Again Reinhardt charged into the fray, his blessed hammer raining down the wrath of Sigmar unto these damned heathens.

Reinhardt ducked and weaved, crippling these cultists for the others to finish off while he steadily strode towards the demon, the source of all this.

"Though he the dwarfs did him no kindness before, he ventured forth! He saved Kurgan Ironbeard, crushed the foul greenskins, forged an alliance between man and dwarf forever and earned the hammer, Ghal Maraz!" he roared, as he broke through the cultists and came face to face with the demon itself.

It hissed as Eve came up alongside him, shield raised.

"The Elder One promised you would be mine!" it roared. "Now no one will have you." it hissed as it jumped forward, thrashing about with its gangly arms.

Reinhardt jumped back, waiting patiently for the opening. Though the arms looked as thin as a branch, Reinhardt knew well enough that looks can be deceiving. Already he'd seen those arms gouge out part of the stone courtyard. One wrong move, and he would be resting in Morr's garden. The others followed suit, slashing when given an opportunity otherwise ducking and weaving through its wild swings.

At last, Reinhardt found the moment, and with a mighty cry to Sigmar, offering this foe as a sacrifice to him, he smashed its knee. Foul demonic flesh and bone stood no chance against his blessed maul as it cried in agony, it's pitch high squeal stunning all for a moment. Blindly he swung again, feeling the maul strike true again, sending the demon down onto the cold stone.

Screeching in pain, Eve walked up, and finished the would be imposter, a single thrust of the sword down in its head. It evaporated in an instant, burning up back into the hells it came from.

"It is done," she sighed, as she sheathed her sword.

"We heard," cried Barris, a group of his brothers and sisters in tow. "We had recovered enough but-"

"It is no trouble," Eve replied, waving him off. "What's more important" she said as she pointed towards the Breach, "Is that today, I have seen courage and valor in each of you that have fought against the corruption that plagued your order today. The Inquisition needs your help to seal the Breach. Everyone needs your help to seal it. Help us seal the Breach, and rise above the stain on your honor that fell on you today."

"We are leaderless, gutted by the betrayal today," Barris shook his head."Though you speak truths that we should have seen."

"Your order is respected by people all over Thedas! That cannot, must not die today, especially in these times of chaos. We offer you an alliance, supplies, weapons, shelter, whatever aid you might need. All we ask," she paused as she pointed towards the gaping hole in the sky, "is that you help us seal that."

"Well brothers and sisters," Barris said as he turned towards the untainted templars. "What say you?"

A resounding chorus of ayes rang throughout the now dead halls. Well, Knightly Orders have recovered from such stains before. Never in one lifetime, but Reinhardt supposed these men and women deserved a chance… provided they were untainted.

He and Kat would just have to inspect everyone left, no matter how long it takes.

As everyone made their way out of the tainted castle, Reinhardt noticed a few templars, men and women he recognized from the battle in the hall, approach him shakily.

"Ser?" the leader, a woman asked as she approached. "We… were wondering what was it you did over there. In the hall?"

"I did what any of you were doing, fighting." Reinhardt huffed.

"No! Not that…" she whispered. "It was… like this warmth, filled me. A certainty filled my body in action, and we felt it. As if the Maker himself was raising our spirits."

"We all felt it, and knew in our hearts that this was no magic done by a mage. Something we're trained to do… so what did you do?" another one added.

"It was Sigmar, the man-god, filling you with the courage and will to stand against his foes." he said.

"Sigmar? A god?" one of them whispered before turning to the others. He searched around for something, before they nodded in return.

"Tell us more."

This… this was unexpected. Interest in Sigmar outside the Empire.

Well… it couldn't hurt to tell them his life story could it?

AN: New bit up and ready! Hope you guys enjoy, and i'd love to hear more discussion on the Fade and other associated thoughts on divinity. Thanks again to @RedrumSprinkles for giving this a looksee before release.

The moment these 'templars' began their strange ritual, drinking that pulsing blue mineral they called lyrium, the cultists renewed their assault. Reinhardt knew in his bones that they would not retreat, for they knew it was victory or death.

Of course, the same could be said for his party, but semantics.

They had far less mutants now, drawing instead from the more sane ones. Again and again, they charged forth, clashing with their own lines. Reinhardt dashed to and fro, reinforcing where the line was weak, bellowing passages all the while.

"He bade them stand against the dark! Together, they fought off the Old Night!" he roared as he smashed in a cultist's head, even as a bolt of lightning soared over his head and fried an incoming cultist.

Taking a brief moment to nod in thanks to the wizard, the elf Solas, Reinhardt returned to the battle. He chanted, asking for Sigmar's aid once more.

"Oh mighty Sigmar!" he cried as he smashed in another cultist's chest. "Hear my prayer! Grant us the strength today, to fight off the minions of the Old Night once more! Grant that we may stand together as one, and fight!" he finished. Reinhardt sensed nothing, and knew Sigmar demanded they fight this battle on their own terms. So be it, man can overcome the evils of the world alone. Sigmar merely evens the playing field.

And today, they were well matched. The woman, Eve and her myriad assortment of companions fought very well. The foreign wizard, Vivienne, certainly had to be kept an eye on, no telling how well trained they were against the trickery of demons, but he could trust the Elf to cast mighty spells. Eve and the other warriors, the stoic Blackwall and scarred Cassandra fought such that they would be worthy of entering any Knightly order, or possibly even the Reiksguard were they servants of the Empire. The other Elf, Sera, still boggled Reinhardt, yet she possessed the skill of an High Elf, picking out targets from far away in instants.

Reinhardt wondered if he and Kat were still drifting through the Ether, and this was all a tortured fantasy concocted by one of the dark gods.

He shook his head. He had no time for what ifs now. There was a battle to be won, honor and glory to attain!

Once more, he fell into the trance, ducking and weaving, crushing the enemies of man. Now there was only the battle, him, and Sigmar above as he cried out and dispensed the will of his God.

In moments it was over. The last of the cultists dead or dying on the gore slicked floor of the hall. Yet the barrier still stood, and the veterans and Barris all still deep in some sort of trance as they worked to bring it down.

"How much longer?" Reinhardt asked Eve as he walked towards her, maul in hand.

"Can't be much longer. Look," she pointed at the barrier, already beginning to shimmer. She turned back to him and asked, "Your god… Sigmar, does he have any help to give?"

Reinhardt shook his head. "We must prove ourselves to him in the next battle. I sense that much. He has already paved the way, we must merely prove ourselves worthy of it."

"Your god doesn't make sense to me," she said as she leaned over.

"Many an Estalian or Tilean would say the same," Reinhardt smiled. "Doesn't prevent Sigmar from protecting them by keeping the Empire whole. You're always welcome to learn more if you want. I've memorized the Deus Sigmar, and can tell you his life story."

Eve scoffed before moving on to check on the others. He didn't mind her or others not knowing of Sigmar, he was no true priest, capable of divining his deeper mysteries. Nor was he meant to spread his word. He was meant to deal justice directly unto his foes, with or without his aid.

Yet to be honest, Reinhardt found it perplexing how often Sigmar answered his prayers. Was it a sign of the conflicts to come? That they face something powerful enough that Sigmar must turn his gaze on them? It was rare for Sigmar to answer prayers, let alone for a Templar such as he.

It was times like these that Reinhardt wished he knew the mysteries of the priesthood. Maybe then he could interpret the signs and portents, instead of them passing on by.

The sound of shattering glass brought Reinhardt out of his musings. The barrier had fallen, and the path was clear. Wordlessly, he and the rest of the party followed Eve while the veteran templars stayed behind, too exhausted from their ritual.

In minutes, they reached the end of the path, a great courtyard slick from the storm that now washed over the castle and the last dozen cultists, still clad in the ornate armor that spoke of commanders. And at the center of it all, amidst the last of its deluded followers and under that damned Breach, was the demon in its true form. An amalgam of gaunt limbs and newborn flesh, hissing as the party approached weapons drawn.

"You will all die," it hissed as it pointed at the party. "Kill them for the Elder One!"

With a cry, the two groups clashed while the demon watched from the rear. These monsters were obviously once the best men of the order, as they fought with both the experience of a lifetime, and unholy strength given to them by their forsaken master.

Fortunately, Kat proved the deciding factor as their armor turned to rust, and their razor sharp blades, were naught but lead cudgels when she was done with them. Again Reinhardt charged into the fray, his blessed hammer raining down the wrath of Sigmar unto these damned heathens.

Reinhardt ducked and weaved, crippling these cultists for the others to finish off while he steadily strode towards the demon, the source of all this.

"Though he the dwarfs did him no kindness before, he ventured forth! He saved Kurgan Ironbeard, crushed the foul greenskins, forged an alliance between man and dwarf forever and earned the hammer, Ghal Maraz!" he roared, as he broke through the cultists and came face to face with the demon itself.

It hissed as Eve came up alongside him, shield raised.

"The Elder One promised you would be mine!" it roared. "Now no one will have you." it hissed as it jumped forward, thrashing about with its gangly arms.

Reinhardt jumped back, waiting patiently for the opening. Though the arms looked as thin as a branch, Reinhardt knew well enough that looks can be deceiving. Already he'd seen those arms gouge out part of the stone courtyard. One wrong move, and he would be resting in Morr's garden. The others followed suit, slashing when given an opportunity otherwise ducking and weaving through its wild swings.

At last, Reinhardt found the moment, and with a mighty cry to Sigmar, offering this foe as a sacrifice to him, he smashed its knee. Foul demonic flesh and bone stood no chance against his blessed maul as it cried in agony, it's pitch high squeal stunning all for a moment. Blindly he swung again, feeling the maul strike true again, sending the demon down onto the cold stone.

Screeching in pain, Eve walked up, and finished the would be imposter, a single thrust of the sword down in its head. It evaporated in an instant, burning up back into the hells it came from.

"It is done," she sighed, as she sheathed her sword.

"We heard," cried Barris, a group of his brothers and sisters in tow. "We had recovered enough but-"

"It is no trouble," Eve replied, waving him off. "What's more important" she said as she pointed towards the Breach, "Is that today, I have seen courage and valor in each of you that have fought against the corruption that plagued your order today. The Inquisition needs your help to seal the Breach. Everyone needs your help to seal it. Help us seal the Breach, and rise above the stain on your honor that fell on you today."

"We are leaderless, gutted by the betrayal today," Barris shook his head."Though you speak truths that we should have seen."

"Your order is respected by people all over Thedas! That cannot, must not die today, especially in these times of chaos. We offer you an alliance, supplies, weapons, shelter, whatever aid you might need. All we ask," she paused as she pointed towards the gaping hole in the sky, "is that you help us seal that."

"Well brothers and sisters," Barris said as he turned towards the untainted templars. "What say you?"

A resounding chorus of ayes rang throughout the now dead halls. Well, Knightly Orders have recovered from such stains before. Never in one lifetime, but Reinhardt supposed these men and women deserved a chance… provided they were untainted.

He and Kat would just have to inspect everyone left, no matter how long it takes.

As everyone made their way out of the tainted castle, Reinhardt noticed a few templars, men and women he recognized from the battle in the hall, approach him shakily.

"Ser?" the leader, a woman asked as she approached. "We… were wondering what was it you did over there. In the hall?"

"I did what any of you were doing, fighting." Reinhardt huffed.

"No! Not that…" she whispered. "It was… like this warmth, filled me. A certainty filled my body in action, and we felt it. As if the Maker himself was raising our spirits."

"We all felt it, and knew in our hearts that this was no magic done by a mage. Something we're trained to do… so what did you do?" another one added.

"It was Sigmar, the man-god, filling you with the courage and will to stand against his foes." he said.

"Sigmar? A god?" one of them whispered before turning to the others. He searched around for something, before they nodded in return.

"Tell us more."

This… this was unexpected. Interest in Sigmar outside the Empire.

Well… it couldn't hurt to tell them his life story could it?

Well the Chanty is not gonna be happy about this development. But it is competely understandable why this templars are turning to Sigmar after that battle

Hmm, not sure how this'll end up. I remember that they tended to be less dismissive of other gods as, say, W40K, but having their religious military arm convert could be a problem they would want to avert.

Back