Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Well, TV Tropes claims (yes, I know this is the part where I lose all credibility in this argument) that:

"In the manga, the only time Kobayashi is shown having sexual interest in Tohru is after Iruru switches her genitals against her will."

Which if so would indicate that Koyabashi has attraction to at least certain male things. In the manga.

Fortunately for everyone, that's not a future anime spoiler because the character who causes that has been completely cut out, thank goodness. The manga is kind of trash and Kyoani has much improved on it.

Fortunately for everyone, that's not a future anime spoiler because the character who causes that has been completely cut out, thank goodness. The manga is kind of trash and Kyoani has much improved on it.

Why all the hate for Iruru? She has arguably the best character arc in the series and plays a part in developing Kanna and Tohru's backstory. Also we don't know if she's been cut out yet, since she appears after Elma's introduction. It would be silly not to include her, as she is rather central to the latest arc of the story. If anything Iruru will likely make an appearance in season 2 if it's ever greenlit.

Also... how is the manga trash when the anime follows it almost completely to a tee? They added in extra scenes to pad the story, and I'm fairly sure the author is actually also being consulted with writing these extra scenes as is what tends to happen when studios work with LN/manga adaptations.

Edit: BTW there's now fanart of Kanna grown up. She has become such a fine dragon lady daughteru. *sniff*

Last edited:
BEST DAUGHTERU OF 2017!!!!!!!!
She has become such a fine dragon lady daughteru.
Please stop saying this.
Dude, calm down, you're getting weird.
I'd say something, but Ford already did.

Anyway, so Kobayashi and Fafnir are the best characters.

Yep. Eventually Kanna will outlive Saikawa. I'm waiting for the last part where Saikawa is on her deathbed whereas Kanna is still a child.

According to Tohru, dragons can outlive planets. So at least the high-tier dragons in Kobayashi-chi are noted to be incredibly powerful conceptual beings.

Yep. Eventually Kanna will outlive Saikawa. I'm waiting for the last part where Saikawa is on her deathbed whereas Kanna is still a child.

According to Tohru, dragons can outlive planets. So at least the high-tier dragons in Kobayashi-chi are noted to be incredibly powerful conceptual beings.
Honestly, if it comes up I expect for Kobayashi to frown and then tell Tohru that it does not matter if she outlives her. But that by taking each day as they are, making these memories, then she and the others will still continue to be alive in the memories of Tohru and the others. That they will never be forgotten. And that is perhaps the best form of immortality there is.

Honestly, if it comes up I expect for Kobayashi to frown and then tell Tohru that it does not matter if she outlives her. But that by taking each day as they are, making these memories, then she and the others will still continue to be alive in the memories of Tohru and the others. That they will never be forgotten. And that is perhaps the best form of immortality there is.
Mmm... I'm having a hard time picturing Kobayashi saying all that stuff.

I mean, it's like...
... nope, I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:

Mmm... I'm having a hard time picturing Kobayashi saying all that stuff.

I mean, it's like...
... nope, I'm not seeing it.

I think eventually once Kobayashi opens up more, she'll probably say something like that. For now Kobayashi is still really awkward with relationships.

The latest episode shows that Kobayashi is a little overwhelmed with Tohru's affection, and actually doesn't know how to reciprocate it because she's left all that behind and completely shut herself out in trying to become a member of society. Kobayashi knows that she's happier now than she was before, but she doesn't know how to handle that happiness just yet and most importantly doesn't know how to express that to her partner. This actually frustrates Tohru, who feels no reciprocation despite her best efforts. I really like this because it drives home the point that while, yes, Tohru's antics are played up for comedic effect and they are a source of comedy in this show, she's actually trying with all her heart to get someone that she truly loves, wholeheartedly and passionately, to return some of that love back--even if it's just a small bit.

Like, it's cool that Kobayashi is just so chill and stuff. It makes her a good person to hang out with, but the problem is that she's just being passively nice to everyone because she doesn't want any trouble. And that is problematic when you have people who love you and want to pursue a relationship with you, and want you to look at them and pay attention to them and love them more than anyone else, and you can't help but just be passive all the time and treat everyone, including them, the same way. I think this is cool because I feel like it's a bit of a deconstruction of a lot of harem protagonists who get girls to fall for them because they are "nice to everyone."

I hope they play on this more, because I really do like having Kobayashi as a flawed character with real human weaknesses that need to be overcome. Hopefully we get more of this in the next episode.

Last edited:
I'm more worried that this might escalate into Tohru sneaking into work again.

So now that the dub is out, what is your opinion on it?

TBH I didn't even know there was a dub until I finally decided to watch it on funimation's website and it apparently automatically goes to the dub if one is available.

Cast:
Leah Clark as Miss Kobayashi
Sarah Wiedenheft as Tohru
Jad Saxton as Kanna
Garret Storms as Fafnir
Jamie Marchi as Lucoa
Jeff Johnson as Takiya Makoto

oh did I never post the dub cast i'm usually good about doing that, huh

Anyway I quite like the dub. It's not QUITE my favorite of the season (Monica Rial's work in Tanya the Evil is the show-stealer this season imo) but I do really like it. Sarah Wiedenheft is killing it this season and she gets Tohru down really well. Leah Clark's delivery threw me off at first, but I've gotten used to it and enjoy her take on the character. Jad Saxton took a bit of time for me as Kanna (not because I don't like Saxton, she's amazing, but there's some definite feeling around for the character for a bit) but she grew into it quickly and I quite like what she gives. The rest of the cast all does pretty well; I predicted Marchi as Lucoa and she's handling that well, Storms is pretty perfect as Fafnir, and I don't know Sara Ragsdale's previous work but she's pretty good as Riko. Fairly solid dub, imo, I've enjoyed watching it alongside the sub.

It's a good dub, and does a decent job of localizing some stuff, but it's just not the same. (It is however vastly better than the usual quality dub, or just whatever the hell Demi-chan got, so it's maybe something worth broadcasting.)

OFC, everyone seems to be snarkier in the Dub, which does have a good script, but sometimes snarky doesn't seem to fit the tone of the show.

Last edited:
You know, considering dragons apparently do hoard here... Who wants to bet that the medal that Kanna has will be pride of place in it?

Also, that little bit concerning Kanna's parents. No wonder she's latched onto Kobayashi so hard as a mother figure.

And that bit with Lucoa=World Class... :lol:rofl:

'This video is unavailable'

The youtube channel got taken down. I will have to find the videos again... :(

Also... Noooo!!! They wrote Iruru out of the show. :(

I mean, they make up for it with more Kanna, but still...

Also, did anyone catch the Kanna using a red string to tie herself and Saikawa together!? That was really neat!!!!

I support Kanna and Tinygirl's first crush. It's a really cute dynamic and blah blah I'm not sure if I can ship Kobayashi x Tohru so this satiated my shipping needs.

Edit: I did not change the names to fit the actual characters I was talking about. No way. You can't prove it!

Last edited:
I support Kanna and Tinygirl's first crush. It's a really cute dynamic and blah blah I'm not sure if I can ship Kobayashi x Tohru so this satiated my shipping needs.

Edit: I did not change the names to fit the actual characters I was talking about. No way. You can't prove it!

Well if anything the anime more or less declared that Kanna and Saikawa will be bound together by fate. In the three-legged race scene, Kanna ties the two of them together with a red string.

Back