MAD MARIO: RAINBOW ROAD - The Super Mario Bros. Movie

all I know is that if walk the dinosaur isn't somewhere in the soundtrack, i'll be deeply, deeply disappointed

this will be equally true for any and all mario movies made in the future :V

And it turns out the reason Pratt said he isn't doing an italian accent is because he's doing a Brooklyn one instead. We have less than ten words out of him, but the "here" in "Mushroom Kingdom here we come" sounded non-rhotic with the r shifted towards a y sound, characteristically Noo Yawk and not his normal accent.

Also, as expected, Jack Black's Bowser is perfect.

🎶 We're the Mario Brothers, and plumbings are game, found a secret warp pipe whilst working on a drain 🎶

If Sega can fix Ugly Sonic before release, Nintendo can redub Mario. It's not too late. The Prattio disaster can yet be averted.

But seriously: Paper Mario is what I keep hearing people come back to. It's probably the most fleshed out the setting has ever been and it's tone is pretty much perfect for a movie. Plus I believe it's got some of the best Bowser and Luigi characterization.

Well, here's hoping this isn't a disaster.

And it turns out the reason Pratt said he isn't doing an italian accent is because he's doing a Brooklyn one instead. We have less than ten words out of him, but the "here" in "Mushroom Kingdom here we come" sounded non-rhotic with the r shifted towards a y sound, characteristically Noo Yawk and not his normal accent.

Also, as expected, Jack Black's Bowser is perfect.

Well Mario's game is basically one underpaid technician forced to scale a tower with an angry monkey tossing oil cans down. Works just fine since unlike the original film this feels like the industry has a good feel of what makes a Nintendo film work

huh.
I guess that partially explains where the idea for the concept came from.

Not sure what idea or concept you're referring to, but "Mario's originally from our world/Brooklyn" dates back to like 1986-ish. It's been the background lore for quite a while. Though I think it hasn't been called out in the games or game manuals, just in the side movies and animation...like, a LOT of the side stuff...

Not sure what idea or concept you're referring to, but "Mario's originally from our world/Brooklyn" dates back to like 1986-ish. It's been the background lore for quite a while. Though I think it hasn't been called out in the games or game manuals, just in the side movies and animation...like, a LOT of the side stuff...
What I meant (mostly in a joking sense) is that we can blame Mario for the isekai genre.

Attempting to apply lore to Mario is the most foolish of errands but let's do it anyway. My understanding is that Mario is still from a fantasy world, it's just not specifically the mushroom kingdom. Instead, it's a kinda fantasy big city that's basically not!brooklyn containing among other things semi-anthropomorphised apes like Donkey Kong. The big point of conflict here is Yoshi's Island which directly represents Mario and Luigi as being born in the Mushroom Kingdom but as we all know Yoshi's Island simply isn't canon to the Mario Cinematic Universe since it was made by Fox instead of Disney.

I think the Mario Parents moved from the Mushroom Kingdom to New Donk City when the Brothers were still small.

What I meant (mostly in a joking sense) is that we can blame Mario for the isekai genre.

I blame Alice in Wonderland myself.
The formula of modern fantasy Isekai is set by Narnia, which is mindfucking popular in Japan enough to be published as light novel.

Then Mushoku Tensei came banging and refine the new standard to 11/10, everything else comes as shoddy knockoff. Much like how Love Hina defined modern Harem manga.

Prior to this, Isekai often has elements if coming back home as very important. They also portray respectable human beings instead of literal human garbage or depressed salaryman as main character.

Back