MAD MARIO: RAINBOW ROAD - The Super Mario Bros. Movie

This counts as a tangent and possible thread derail, but...4K on the cinematic screen? Can I just say I'm a little envious?

1993 Super Mario Bros. Film to Get 4K 30th Anniversary Screening in Japan
September 15 marks the 30th anniversary of the Japanese release of 1993's Super Mario Bros., starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as the plumber siblings. Released in Japan as Super Mario: Goddess of the Demon Empire, the film has developed a cult following over the last three decades, both at home and abroad.

The print shown in Japanese theaters will be a newly completed 4K restoration. Fans in Japan can look forward to the theatrical event starting September 15.

Thread title should be "Mad Mario: Fury Toad."

Am I the only one who watched the Giant Bomb content circa the Mario Maker games?

And no one was surprised.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Announces Sequel Set for 2026 With Same Directors

Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic also directed the first 'Super Mario Bros Movie,' released 2023.
Nintendo game director Shigeru Miyamoto and Illumination's Chris Meledandri announced the news during a Mario Day video, celebrated annually on March 10.

Co-directors Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic will return for the sequel, and Meledandri said on Sunday that they and their team of animators are already "busy at work storyboarding scenes and developing set designs for new environments." It will be written by Matthew Fogel, who also penned the script for the first film.

... It's unclear which fanciful characters the new film will focus on — be they plumbers, princesses, Koopas or other residents of the Mushroom Kingdom — and the partner companies are not using the word "sequel." However, the companies did specify that the movie will be released in theaters on April 3, 2026, in the U.S. and additional markets globally. It will be unveiled in other territories throughout April.

My money's on another combo of multiple inspirations. Galaxy for supporting cast and part of the setting, Wario for the villain, I think. He's the easiest one to work with for a secondary villain, being Mario's dark mirror; then they can go back to Bowser for the third after having him seemingly less of a threat in the second to lull Mario into a false sense of security about him.

Back