MAD MARIO: RAINBOW ROAD - The Super Mario Bros. Movie

I, uh. Think the older folks that are going to strongly associate DK and Mario are... more like 40+, not 30+? Being in the mid thirties and growing up with that stuff, the strong connection is earlier than that, with the original Donkey Kong. After that it was over a decade before the two series came together again meaningfully with SSB, and most of it beyond SSB is relatively recent.

Most normies in that age range wouldn't really think to connect the two, outside maybe both being major nintendo franchises. The older stuff didn't have much connection past the original arcade game.

This. I know it started with the DK arcade game but they've been separate properties for 3 decades at this point. It's Mario and Yoshi, not DK.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Box Office Sensation: ‘Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Crosses Record $500M Globally

It took less than a week for the Universal and Illumination movie to zoom past Marvel's 'Ant-Man and the Wasp 2' and become the top-grossing film of 2023 to date. It's also now the No. 1 video game adaptation of all time.
To date, the animated adventure has earned $260.3 million domestically and $248.4 million internationally. That lifts its worldwide haul to $508.7 million. It is now the highest-grossing film of 2023 at both the global and domestic box office, surpassing Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. More important, it also makes The Super Mario Bros. Movie the biggest video game adaptation in history, topping the grosses of Warcraft and Pokémon: Detective Pikachu.

And it is already the second-biggest animated film since 2019 behind fellow Illumination release Minions: The Rise of Gru, which earned $942.5 million during its run last year.

... It carries a production budget of $100 million, which is economical for an animated film. Pixar and Disney animated movies, for instance, often cost twice that figure.

Box Office: ‘Super Mario Bros.’ Scores Crazy-Great $87M in Second Weekend, Hits $678M Globally

The video game adaptation continues to defy all expectations as it races toward the $1 billion mark, leaving little breathing room for a plethora of new films, including Russell Crowe-starrer 'The Pope's Exorcist.'
The Nintendo video game adaptation grossed a massive $87 million from 4,371 theaters in its second weekend of play at the North American box office, notably more than expected and representing a drop of just 41 percent. It's also the biggest second weekend ever for an animated film after surpassing Frozen 2 ($86 million).

Through Sunday, Super Mario has grossed $347.8 million domestically and $330 million overseas for a jaw-dropping global tally of $678 million.

I suppose the era of video game movies being considered inherently doomed is over.

eh, I think we're past the point where they're going to be mostly forgettable over actively terrible.

Last edited:
Grifters gonna grift

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWz9gyR9dQM&t=1s&pp=ygUKamFjayBzYWludA%3D%3D

And as Jack Saint points out they can't even get their story straight about "The Mario Bros Movie" other than "CUltUrE WaAAAaarR"

(Wanna know how grifty the right wing grift is without watching Jack Saints video, One of them complained that Mario uses Power ups which means he's cheating?! And therefore isn't a real MAN because of Power ups... Oh and they complain about Peaches motorbike outfit...)

One of them complained that Mario uses Power ups which means he's cheating?!
Oh god I got into an argument with somebody about this very same thing. He kept saying that they weren't being faithful to the games, and when I asked him what game had Mario beat Bowser that didn't involve powerups, stage hazards, or Bowser just screwing himself over, he kept dodging the question.

Some people just want to be mad.

variety.com

‘Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Powers to $871 Million Globally, Nears $1 Billion

“The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has powered to $871 million at the global box office as the animated family film barrels closer and closer to the coveted $1 billion mark. In the next week…
Over the weekend, the movie once again captured the top spot at the domestic and international box office with $58.23 million and $70 million, respectively. So far, "Mario" has generated $434.33 million in North America and $437.5 million overseas for a remarkable cume of $871.8 million. With those ticket sales, the all-audience "Super Mario Bros. Movie" stands as the biggest film of the year at the global, domestic and international box office.

... The movie has thrived in theaters as a four-quadrant blockbuster, appealing to moviegoers young and old. It has also benefitted from brand recognition and nostalgia for the popular video game, as well as a months-long lack of movies targeted at family audiences.

It is nice to see that even with the power of mario behind it, this movie is set to only squeek past a billion and is preforming in line with other illumination movies.

edit- I'm gonna say it, the fact that this movie was made for babies and pretty much no one else hurt it. Anyone who says that making this movie as basic as it is didn't hurt it is just coping because Avitar 2 came out not that long ago with a marginally deeper story and made over 2 billion dollars.

Last edited:
edit- I'm gonna say it, the fact that this movie was made for babies and pretty much no one else hurt it. Anyone who says that making this movie as basic as it is didn't hurt it is just coping because Avitar 2 came out not that long ago with a marginally deeper story and made over 2 billion dollars.
That's mostly just an observation that the ceiling for a live action blockbuster IP is higher than an animated one. Avatar 2 also got kinda eh reviews for being kinda basic and relying on SFX to carry it, albeit not to the same degree. In terms of animation, Super Mario will probably end up the 5th highest nominally in terms of box office, ahead of significantly deeper and higher quality movies. Inflation adjusted it'll be markedly lower.

Speaking of its rather unclear whether things like Rotten Tomatoes ratings have much effect on a movie's performance. The Last Wish for example made 19% of its domestic run in its starting week, which is definitely an indication of an abnormal box office curve, where good reviews and favorable word of mouth buoyed it. Still though The Last Wish was cartoonishly superior to Super Mario in every way but will make like half as much money. Incredibles 2 is the highest domestic animation and Frozen II the highest worldwide, even though both were less good than the first in their series.

The Mario didn't meet my expectations, both in terms of relative quality as a standalone, but also as a stepping stone to a Marioverse or Smashverse series. But there is no question its a huge hit. Its making double what any prior videogame adaptation has made, and by the end of its run will probably be double even for inflation adjusted. Even though the Sonic movies, Detective Pikachu, etc etc were better.

Last edited:

Box Office Milestone: ‘Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Hits $1B Globally

Universal and Illumination's video game adaptation is playing more like an all-audience tentpole than an animated family film.
As of Sunday, after 26 days of release, the animated video game adaptation, from Universal, Illumination and Nintendo, has grossed $490 million in North America and $532 million internationallly. It's only the fifth movie of pandemic times to join the $1 billion club, following Spider-Man: No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Jurassic World Dominion and Avatar: The Way of Water.

The movie has shattered any number of records, including ranking as the highest-grossing animated film in Universal history at the domestic box office after besting Minions: The Rise of Gru ($369.7 million) and the third-highest of any Universal movie behind Jurassic World and E.T. The Extraterrestrial, not adjusted for inflation.

Globally, it now ranks as Universal's seventh-biggest film of all time after beating Jurassic World Dominion and Despicable Me. And it is the fourth-biggest among any Hollywood movie since 2019.

Just saw it, and it was neat. I'm actually impressed with how much they managed to cram in that runtime — a bit too much, in fact, I feel like it just never stopped to breathe. But all in all, I got... exactly what I expected.

variety.com

‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Smashes $500 Million at Domestic Box Office

Wahoo! “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” crossed $500 million at the domestic box office, becoming one of only 19 films to ever surpass that benchmark. In its fifth weekend of release, the …
At this point, the animated video game adaptation — from Universal, Illumination and Nintendo — is the highest-grossing movie of the year in North America with $518 million and globally with $1.15 billion. It's the first movie from Illumination, the company behind "Despicable Me" and "Sing," to hit the $500 million mark at the domestic box office. Also this weekend, "Mario" surpassed "Toy Story 4" ($1.07 billion) to become the fifth-biggest animated movie of all time.

The new Spider-Verse film is taking all the animation hype right now, but this thing keeps rolling along.
variety.com

‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ Hits $1.3 Billion Globally, Surpassing ‘Frozen’ as Second-Biggest Animated Film of All Time

Disney’s perennial hit “Frozen” is saying “let it go” to its spot as the second-biggest animated film in history. Over the weekend, Universal’s “The Super …
... Over the weekend, Universal's "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" hit $1.3 billion at the worldwide box office, enough to bump the original adventures of royal sisters Anna and Elsa ($1.28 billion) to the No. 3 spot.

A collaboration between Universal, Illumination and Nintendo, "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" has resonated with audiences across the globe, generating $566 million domestically and $733.9 million internationally. So far, it's the first and only movie of the year to cross the coveted $1 billion milestone. Outside of North America, top-earning territories include Mexico ($84 million), Japan ($80 million), the United Kingdom ($64 million) and France ($57 million).

... Since its debut, "Mario" has become the highest-grossing movie domestically and globally of 2023, as well as the most successful video game adaptation of all-time.

It's literally one of the biggest, most iconic video game franchises ever. Unless the movie was absolutely shit, it would have made a lot of money anyway.

The movie is so by the numbers that chatgpt could have written it.

Im honestly not sure it didn't.

It's literally the Lego movie using Chris Pratt and Charlie Day as a selling point. I will bet a gifted game that they will inject as many Jurassic Park references for the sequel given how it teases Yoshi

Nintendo has made enough for dvd pokemon movies that they can formulize a Mario movie for it's fanbase and their partnership with Universal makes cross marketing even easier

Last edited:
... Starting August 3rd, you can stream the box office giant exclusively on Peacock.

The Super Mario Bros Movie isn't the only video game adaptation that's headed to Peacock. Twisted Metal, a TV series based on the PlayStation vehicular combat series, debuts at the end of July. And the spooky-looking Five Nights At Freddy's movie will premiere on Peacock the same day it comes to theaters: October 27th.

That is precisely why it worked so well. It's well made and inoffensive.

It being compere and inoffensive just made it a good vehicle for a massive IP.

Let's be honest. If this were an original IP illumination film it would not have stood out.

That isn't at all to say it was some awful film. Its completely fine. But plenty of fine films release and disappear every year.

Last edited:
Back