Wow. Just watched the first episode. I'm glad you guys wrote it gets better, 'cuz this was pretty weak. And kinda annoying. I didn't even hit the 5 minute mark and I wanted to stop.

Wow. Just watched the first episode. I'm glad you guys wrote it gets better, 'cuz this was pretty weak. And kinda annoying. I didn't even hit the 5 minute mark and I wanted to stop.
Yeah, the first season was super condensed, which really did not help.

Fun fact about Hirohiko Araki: he did the cover art for the Japanese releases of the Alex Rider series.

S1E1: Dio the Invader
Our story begins in England, in the year 1868.

A fancy looking carriage has fallen off a muddy road and crashed. The driver and horses are visibly dead. The passengers don't look much better. A filthy-looking, lower class man and his less filthy but equally lower class looking wife find the crash, and the man approaches it over his wife's objections with the intent of looting the corpses. Given their evident poverty, and the class conflicts of Victorian England, I can't especially say I blame the man. He starts coming across much worse, however, when his wife notices that one of the passengers, a baby, is still alive, and he brushes her off because worrying about the baby will reduce their chances of being able to plunder the wreck and get away with it. So yeah, not a nice guy.

His wife notes that the baby only survived because its noblewoman mother used her own body to shield it from the crash, dying herself in the process. As you all know, this means that the baby has now gained the ability to reflect carriage accidents back at the inclement weather that causes them. Rowling would never have lied to us.

Jerkass continues inspecting the wreckage, and finds a briefcase containing a vaguely Mesoamerican looking stone mask whose appearance is accompanied by an ominous musical cue. Surprisingly, Jerkass is genre-savvy enough to realize that he should probably leave the mask alone and focus on stealing the jewelry and gold tooth fillings off the body of the coach's other passenger (presumably the baby's father), when said body ruins his day by turning out to not actually be dead.

The man regains consciousness and thanks Jerkass for saving his life. That's a pretty big conclusion he jumped to, since Jerkass hasn't even moved him from where he found him yet, but the guy just woke up and is probably concussed and traumatized, so I can't exactly hold that against him.

Based on his behavior up until now, I was fully expecting Jerkass to kill the rich guy (who names himself as George Joestar), but he doesn't. Either because he lacks the moxy for outright murder, or (more likely, based on his internal monologue) he realizes that he could get a much bigger reward by helping this rich guy than robbing him. Jerkass names himself as well; Dario Brando.

During my initial watchthrough, I thought that Dario was going to be series villain Dio. The latter could conceivably be a nickname for the former, and since I had heard that Dio becomes a vampire at some point I figured that he could gain the power to de-age himself into the youngish-looking blonde fellow that I've seen in the memes plastered all over SV. But no, it turns out that Dario and his wife are Dio's parents. We're about to learn that they have a baby around the same age as George's. On a somewhat related note, "Dario Brando" doesn't exactly sound like a British name, and neither does Dio; I'd think Italian before anything else. I guess they're supposed to be of immigrant origins?

Anyway, as George promises his gratitude to the Brandos for saving the lives of himself and his infant son, a trickle of blood from the dead coachman flows toward the mask which Dario tossed on the ground. Upon touching the blood, it extends a set of facehugger-like legs that send it tumbling away across the mud.

Creepy. Well, if the mask's powers are blood related, then if anyone in this story actually is going to become a vampire the mask will most likely be responsible.

Cut to the year 1880. We have a brief montage of the two families with their twelve-and-some-months year old boys, being raised at opposite ends of the Victorian class system. The wealthy Joestar boy, JoJo, who is destined to some day go on a bizarre adventure that may or may not involve punishing the sky with his maternal sacrifice induced powers, is growing into a happy, healthy, and good natured young man with an adorable pet dog and endearingly poor table manners. Dario's own son, Dio, is being raised by his now divorced or widowed father in an abandoned factory, and struggling to provide himself with an education via books that he got from somewhere or other despite his father constantly sending him out to buy him booze...with Dio's own money. And throwing empty bottles at Dio's head if he takes even a second too long to comply with these demands. We see one of Dio's attempts to get money to support his father's habit; gambling over chess at a rough-looking pub.

He wins, but the much bigger guy who he beats turns out to be quite a sore loser, and pushes twelve and a half year old Dio's face into a plate of food after paying up.

So far, Dio is seeming like the sympathetic protagonist who can't catch a break, whereas JoJo seems like a boring rich kid whose life lacks sufficient conflict to get my investment. No joke, if it weren't for the title and my preexisting knowledge I don't think I'd have even considered the possibility that JoJo is going to be the main character by this point.

Flash back to JoJo...well, sort of. Actually, its a flash over to a blonde girl around the boys' age, who has just had her doll stolen by Mario and Luigi. They're taunting Peach with threats to undress the doll, which...um...I thiiiink we're supposed to infer that the boys are doing this to cause emotional pain to Peach, and that Peach actually is hurt by this, but just look at these facial expressions.

Mario and Luigi have such captivated expressions of exultant, childlike glee as they plot to disrobe the doll. And Peach is looking at them as if...well, she's reacting more or less the way I would, given the above. You can just read the mixture of confusion and pity on her face. "What the fuck even is this, and do I actually want to know?"

Unfortunately, she starts crying a moment later, making it clear that this was intended to be a simple bullying scene. Which is much less interesting than what the expressions and camera framing seemed to have been communicating before. For a moment, I thought Peach was going to be my favorite character, but nah, I guess she's just a damsel in distress. At least for now.

Suddenly, JoJo comes charging out of nowhere. He announces that while he might not know Peach, he's still going to beat the extra lives out of Mario and Luigi for giving her a hard time. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be up to the task physically, throwing a series of the whimpiest, most ineffectual punches I've ever seen at Luigi until the latter gets annoyed and knocks him to the ground. When JoJo produces a handkerchief with his name on it to wipe the blood off his face, the Super Bully Brothers recognize the name as belonging to that snobby aristocratic family that lives over the hill, and give JoJo a dedicated beating for being rich. Peach covers her eyes. Once the SBB finally leave, Peach steps forward and tries to help JoJo back to his feet, but he refuses her assistance, and acts offended at her gratitude. He tells her that he didn't attack the SBB for her sake. He did it because he wants to be a proper gentleman, and that means defending the honor of ladies on principle even when he knows its a fight he can't win.

Well, that's good to know. Thanks for explaining that your motives for trying to help Peach were entirely self-serving, JoJo, I might have thought I had a reason to care about you otherwise.

I guess he might just be saying that because of his wounded pride. Lashing out at the nearest person because of the pain and humiliation he's just suffered. But still, looking at this whole sequence from Peach's perspective, JoJo isn't exactly making a good first impression. And, once again, regardless of whether or not its what the artists were going for, Peach's expression during his speech is just completely perfect:

"Who the fuck ARE all these weirdos and where do they keep coming from?"

The show plays this sensitive, melodramatic music while JoJo gives his speech, and I honestly have no idea if its intended to be satirical. I choose to believe that it is, that Peach was in fact the viewpoint character for this scene, and that she's finding all these characters every bit as ridiculous as I am. Maybe she was fake crying, before? Like, she felt that it was expected of her or something, or she felt bad for the SBB and decided to toss them a bone? Yeah, I take back what I said a few paragraphs ago, Peach is cool.

This scene is intercut with another Dio sequence. The cuts are weirdly timed and paced, and I'm not sure why the scenes are intercut in the first place because they don't seem to be reflecting each other, thematically complementing each other, leading up to the same conclusion, or even taking place over equivalent periods of time, but whatever. A very sick-looking Dario tells Dio that he doesn't expect to live for much longer, and that he wants Dio to seek out the Joestar family and take George up on the offer of repayment that he made twelve years ago.

And this is where I had my first serious headscratcher moment during the viewing. Is the show trying to tell us that greedy, alcoholic Dario Brando just sat on George's offer for a dozen years without taking him up on it?

Even after falling sick, when he could have benefited from upper crust medical care? Not that that amounted to much in the nineteenth century, but still.

I suppose you could say that he didn't want to spend any of it on himself, and was saving the letter to ensure that his son would have as good a life as possible. But a) "not spending your childhood struggling to survive in the slums" seems like it should be part of that, and b) in our only previous glimpse at Dario interacting with Dio, he didn't exactly come across as a caring father who would make such massive sacrifices. Maybe George was specific in only offering his gratitude to Dario's son, and only when he reached a certain age, but that would be so random and arbitrary that I'm not sure I can even wrap my head around it.

Best explanation I can come up with (or, rather, that a friend who I rewatched the episode with could come up with) is that Dario had some big plan in the works to pull himself out of poverty on his own, and didn't want to sink to accepting charity until he had fallen deathly ill and been forced to realize that he'd never get his chance. Thing is, that's the sort of information that REALLY needs to be relayed to the audience, especially since it appears to contradict Dario's earlier onscreen behavior (he was willing to steal valuables from a traffic accident; that doesn't exactly suggest the sort of personality that puts pride before profits). Its also possible that the Joestars DID give Dario some sort of immediate financial reward twelve years ago in addition to the future promise to support his son, but that he either drank through it or lost it in the off-screen events surrounding the death of his wife. Later in the intercut sequence, we see Dio standing over his father's grave and cursing him for "driving mom to death," so something did happen there and I suppose it could have been expensive. But again, we NEED TO BE SHOWN THIS. Or told it. Or at least have it be hinted at.

This is the first place in "Dio the Invader" where I suspect that something may have been lost in translation from the manga.

Its not going to be the last. Or, unfortunately, the worst.

This sequence ends with Dio vowing that he'll make himself wealthy and successful beyond even his father's hopes, just to spite his memory, and that he won't let anyone or anything get in his way of doing so. This could be an inspirational sentiment, given what we've seen of Dio's childhood as he attempted to educate and better himself despite his abusive father, absent mother, and the hopeless environment of Victorian urban poverty. However, the framing and musical cues suggest that Dio's experiences have also hardened him and made him ruthless, so we should be taking his monologue here as a "start of darkness" moment.

Which, well, is kind of too bad. Because so far, Dio has been a more engaging and relatable character than JoJo, and his life's story as depicted has consistently had much higher stakes. I'd still prefer Peach over either of them, but, well, that would just be too much to hope for.

Six minutes and forty-five seconds into this twenty-three minute episode, the title drops, and a narrator tells us that this will be the story of two boys and a mysterious stone mask. Fuck you narrator, I want more Peach. Anyway, I think this is a natural stopping point. Due to the longer length of JoJo episodes, I think splitting each episode into 2-3 updates over the course of a week should be a good updating schedule. Part two of "Dio the Invader" will be coming Tuesday or Wednesday.​

Last edited:
Wait, this came out in 2012?
And it looks like this??? I saw much better animation in hungarian cartoons made in the 80's.
Is this a small studio or something? How did they aquire a manga then, that is so influential and famous?
More importantly, how did this ever got popular enough that it got so big even I heard about it, when I have watched like 5 animes in my life?

Wait, this came out in 2012?
And it looks like this??? I saw much better animation in hungarian cartoons made in the 80's.
Is this a small studio or something? How did they aquire a manga then, that is so influential and famous?
More importantly, how did this ever got popular enough that it got so big even I heard about it, when I have watched like 5 animes in my life?
Yeah the anime was made in 2012, there was an OVA adaptation of Part 3 in the 90s, and a movie of this very part that got made*. But I do think David Productions is a small studio, still not sure on how they got to do a JoJo adaptation, many people figured it would get picked up by Bones(or was it Madhouse people thought were going to adapt it?), rather than a small studio no one has ever heard of.

As for how it got popular: it started as a clone of Fist of the North Star(right down to the artstyle**), but gradually became it's own thing.

*You won't be able to find it on DVD, or in any release form, Araki found the movie so bad that he ordered it to never get a home release. The only reason we know it exists is because of Araki's word, a trailer, some concept art, and a song by the band Soul'd Out.

**to see how much the artstyle has changed, just look at an image from this Part of JoJo, and compare it to the art of JoJolion.

On a somewhat related note, "Dario Brando" doesn't exactly sound like a British name, and neither does Dio; I'd think Italian before anything else. I guess they're supposed to be of immigrant origins?
It could be Italian, but "Brando" is a known Anglicization of the German name "Brandau", which considering the old Hanoverian dynasty in England feels like a more plausible explanation.

Anyway, one of the issues with Phantom Blood is that the anime is, at this time, an extremely faithful adaptation of the manga. As in, "shots matching panels line for line" faithful. Weirdness with shot composition and the like is probably inherited from the manga, which was also quite rough in the art department, too.

Yeah the anime was made in 2012, there was an OVA adaptation of Part 3 in the 90s, and a movie of this very part that got made*. But I do think David Productions is a small studio, still not sure on how they got to do a JoJo adaptation, many people figured it would get picked up by Bones(or was it Madhouse people thought were going to adapt it?), rather than a small studio no one has ever heard of.

As for how it got popular: it started as a clone of Fist of the North Star(right down to the artstyle**), but gradually became it's own thing.

*You won't be able to find it on DVD, or in any release form, Araki found the movie so bad that he ordered it to never get a home release. The only reason we know it exists is because of Araki's word, a trailer, some concept art, and a song by the band Soul'd Out.

**to see how much the artstyle has changed, just look at an image from this Part of JoJo, and compare it to the art of JoJolion.

I thought Fist of the north star was somehow also Jojo, for some reason. I am pretty green animewise.
It doesn't even seem all that bad in screenshots, but the first punch Dio throws? I had to stop and went back to see it, boy would have messed up his elbow bad.
I guess if they were a small studio I will not complain and enjoy it regardless.
This also explains how the five minutes I saw from the OVA looks so much different, older yet somehow better. Also I laughed myself silly over the characterdesigns of two certain characters, man I want it to be a thing why someone would just hang a turnpike chain from their collar, I saw some brave fashion choices in my life, but older jojo and dogfartfaceguy are really out there.

Anyway, one of the issues with Phantom Blood is that the anime is, at this time, an extremely faithful adaptation of the manga. As in, "shots matching panels line for line" faithful. Weirdness with shot composition and the like is probably inherited from the manga, which was also quite rough in the art department, too.
Doesn't help that while it is shot for shot faithful, they did cut some stuff, and shove the entirety of Phantom Blood into nine episodes, and then gave the rest of the season to Battle Tendency. PB is rather short(45 chapters), but they crammed too much.

"Rough" is mild. Part 1's manga is often just complete garbage that wouldn't be out of place on a teenager's DeviantArt. Which makes the progression to the manga work being so good the author had his shit literally exhibited in the Louvre all the more remarkable.

Anyway, Part 1 - the series in general but especially Part 1 - is sincere to the point of absurdity oftentimes. It's big feelings and big ideas,. Jonathan and Dio, I'll say more on a few episodes in, when we're really into the story, since I don't want to influence the viewing with talk about their later characterization.

Doesn't help that while it is shot for shot faithful, they did cut some stuff, and shove the entirety of Phantom Blood into nine episodes, and then gave the rest of the season to Battle Tendency. PB is rather short(45 chapters), but they crammed too much.
I T K E E P S H A P P E N I N G

Don't talk about things Leila hasn't seen. As far as this thread is concerned, nothing of JoJo exists past the firs six and a half minutes of episode 1.

Anyway, I'm fine with people telling me their feelings about the show overall. Where I take issue is people talking about specific peaks and valleys and naming the seasons in which they happen.
Mario and Luigi have such captivated expressions of exultant, childlike glee as they plot to disrobe the doll. And Peach is looking at them as if...well, she's reacting more or less the way I would, given the above. You can just read the mixture of confusion and pity on her face. "What the fuck even is this, and do I actually want to know?"

Unfortunately, she starts crying a moment later...
I don't think it's an accident that the appreciation of even the most sincere Jojo fans tends to be steeped in irony. Jojo characters tend to be characters, if you know what I mean, and behave accordingly. You're in for a bad time if you come to this series looking for grounded psychology. Or grounded anything, really.

So, am I meant to infer that the mask escaped from the briefcase and crawled a short distance away when no one was looking, since it can apparently move? We only saw it extend those legblade things when it came in contact with blood, but the fact that it can do THAT raises the possibility that it might also have other tricks, which could include some way of moving itself without blood. Or did the storyboarder or animators just fuck this up by having Dario close the briefcase when he was supposed to throw the mask away? I don't know. I normally wouldn't care so much about a minor inconsistency like this as long as it didn't impact the story, but because the mask actually is magical I'm not sure if it actually IS an inconsistency.

It's been awhile, but I want to say he threw away the mask and/or briefcase in the manga.

Or my memory could be bad. Like I said, it's been awhile. And that is all I will say on the matter.

Back