Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Here's a stupid idea:

Somehow or another, Ooyodo got isekai'ed/reincarnated into Azur Lane. Specifically she woke up one day as the Light Cruiser Edinburgh with all the memories that come with it. Ooyodo though just looks at a mirror becoming pissed off because she hasn't had her morning coffee yet and has to figure out how to wring Akashi's and Yuubari's necks because she thinks it's their stupid experiments gone wrong again. So for now she does what she does best, being a secretary ship to the AdmiralShikikan.

Meanwhile the rest of everyone else around her starts to wonder what the heck happened to Edinburgh as she's normally not this competent, not as clumsy, not as surly either. Heck she even kicked out the current secretary ship and is doing a better job but smacked the Commander upside the head for trying to skip his duties again. Her sisters are starting to worry because they saw her guzzling down coffee like there's no tomorrow. What is going with their older sister!?

Random bit of trivia: KC Hornet and AL Intrepid are going to share the same VA with Jolyne Cujoh when Stone Ocean/Part 6 premiers.

"And you?" Ralof asked.
FYI, English uses quote marks "like this", not "like this" as in German, Polish, and Hungarian.

Also, Retribution seems... oddly considerate of the humans around her? Like, not just not killing them out of hand, but telling them to run while she fights the dragon and holding back her heavy guns until they're out of overpressure range.

FYI, English uses quote marks "like this", not "like this" as in German, Polish, and Hungarian.

Also, Retribution seems... oddly considerate of the humans around her? Like, not just not killing them out of hand, but telling them to run while she fights the dragon and holding back her heavy guns until they're out of overpressure range.
Here's something most of KanColle/Azure Lane fictions doen't take into account: consent. If they were to do until me what shipgirls get away with they would be facing multiple felony charges that might include murder charges.

She doesn't have much of a reason to kill them, seeing that she's nowhere familiar and if she wants to get back home, she'll have to talk to the locals. So killing the locals that were willing to talk with her would then be counterproductive, they're terrified enough as is.

My husband was teasing me earlier about which ship girl I might be ...

Kaylee thinks that my twin sis and I would be either USS Indianapolis and USS Vincennes or USS Indiana and USS Washington.

I'm 5'11" and usually have to look down when conversing with someone face-to-face, so, battleship it is.

(Most guys are actually about 5'7" and most gals are about 5'2")

My husband was teasing me earlier about which ship girl I might be ...

Kaylee thinks that my twin sis and I would be either USS Indianapolis and USS Vincennes or USS Indiana and USS Washington.

I'm 5'11" and usually have to look down when conversing with someone face-to-face, so, battleship it is.

(Most guys are actually about 5'7" and most gals are about 5'2")

You could be a carrier (depending on how many chlldren you have) or a battlecruiser (depending how slim and fast you are)

Actually, talking about twins, Indiana and Washington are different classes, so twins would be Indiana, Alabama, Massachusettes, South Dakota, OR Washington and North Carolina.

Last edited:
You could be a carrier (depending on how many chlldren you have) or a battlecruiser (depending how slim and fast you are)

Actually, talking about twins, Indiana and Washington are different classes, so twins would be Indiana, Alabama, Massachusettes, South Dakota, OR Washington and North Carolina.

I've played 1-on-1 basketball with Allen Iverson. I'm actually slightly taller than he is (NBA listed heights are lies) and a good 30-40lbs heavier than what he weighed when he lead the 76rs to the NBS finals 20yrs ago.

There is absolutely no way an athletic woman who is about the same size as a small bear could be anything but a battleship.

Last edited:
I've played 1-on-1 basketball with Allen Iverson. I'm actually slightly taller than he is (NBA listed heights are lies) and a good 30-40lbs heavier than what he weighed when he lead the 76rs to the NBS finals 20yrs ago.

There is absolutely no way an athletic woman who is about the same size as a small bear could be anything but a battleship.

Well, I said you COULD be an aircraft carrier (I imagine a shigirl Ford class Carrier would be REALLY tall and muscular) or a battlecruiser (looking like a tall slim female martial artist)

Well, I said you COULD be an aircraft carrier (I imagine a shigirl Ford class Carrier would be REALLY tall and muscular) or a battlecruiser (looking like a tall slim female martial artist)
I couldn't be either. I have too much "extra girth". A few years ago I survived an automobile accident where the A, B, and C pillars didn't and couldn't hold.

Here's my earlier idea of an Ooyodo Isekai:

I'm A Ship Girl That Got Isekai'ed Into Another Ship Girl But That Concept Is Stupid!

Or

Ooyodo Got Isekai'ed Into Edinburgh

The blaring of the alarm on her bedside is enough to wake up Ooyodo from her sleep and enough to make her crankier than usual. Combined the fact that she ran out of her blend of Coffee yesterday trying to wrangle the usual shenanigans happening in the Naval base does that to anyone. Now she has this pounding headache. Normally she can deal with such a minor issue but said headache started to dump images into her mind. Weird. Bah, whatever. She'll just go to the mess to get her coffee and hope it goes away. If not she could go to the Arsenal for an aspirin or something.

It still doesn't change the fact that she hasn't noticed that she's entirely in a different place but able to navigate it with practiced ease though.

Heading to what is supposed to be the bathroom she looked in the mirror to prepare for the day. She just has to start combing her silver hair— wait… Silver hair? Ooyodo now looked really closely to look at her reflection. In the mirror a somewhat nervous looking English woman with silver hair started back at her. She raised her hand the woman did the same.

Ooyodo stepped back for a bit to examine herself(?) fully. She then takes this as gracefully as she could. She takes breath and…

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!" A scream reverberated through the room. Ooyodo being shocked is an understatement here.

She runs back to the room before and saw what her mind did not register. It was an elegant room with lots of knickknacks of British origin, several photos that contained the woman from earlier along with other girls that seemed related to her, another silver haired woman that has considerable curves and a light blonde woman with a severe look and both wearing maid outfits, a binder on what looked like her itinerary, and several gold bars on the corner. Ooyodo could only take deep breaths to let the anger out.

Calm down, Ooyodo. Calm down. This must be Akashi and Yuubari's fault. Probably because of their stupid experiments again. I swear I'm gonna wring their necks. Now to find out where I am

"Edinburgh, what happened? It's a bit too early for you to scream loudly in the morning," said a groggy voice that broke Ooyodo's train of thought. She looked at the bed to see her roommate on the bed waking up. She looked like the blonde woman in the photos. She knows this woman but how?

"Nothing to worry about Sheffy. J-Just having a rough morning today," Ooyodo said in a voice not her own while having some internal thoughts. Edinburgh? The English Town-class ship? Why does it feel comfortable to me?

"Well, regardless. We have a busy day today. We're on shift to attend to her Majesty so you better give it your all for this," Sheffield said as she got up to prepare for the day.

"Right. I'll get on that," Ooyodo replied back holding her brow, feeling that headache coming back but seeing more images and memories going into her head.

"Something wrong?" Sheffield asked with concern, seeing her older sister touch her head.

"Just a bit of a headache. I'll get some aspirin on the way," Ooyodo said with a smile. Sheffield just stares back for a few seconds before shrugging.

"C'mon. Let's get dressed already," she said heading to the closet to change out of her nightgown.

"Coming!" Ooyodo said with (fake) enthusiasm heading to the closet to change out of her pajamas and into her maid outfit.

I swear I'll punch those idiot mad scientist wannabees if it's the last thing I do, Ooyodo thought to herself to prepare for the day…

AN: Thought anyone?

Poor 'yodo she's without her coffee, forced to drink British tea, and the only light in her new life is hopefully a return of the rum ration.

I imagine a shigirl Ford class Carrier would be REALLY tall and muscular
There is LitostAndTea's designs for super carrier shipgirls in their Navis Gloria concept. They all look about the size of Fallout 4 power armor.

Here is their version of USS Nimitz with USS Darter (left) and USS Sea Lion (right).

(I would link their Deviantart, but I'm not sure that that site can be linked to)

I'm 100% sure this has been talked about but...there is a huge discrepancy between KC and AZ fights and I really wanna see how that'd be reconciled in a crossover.

I'm 70% sure AZ Enterprise would have no qualms getting up close and personal with a Wo or maybe even a Re (she only fought carriers in the anime so it's up for debate, though she did route an iron blood surface fleet with her presence in close quarters alone, implying Eugen-even with support couldn't defeat her in a brawl) while KC Zuikaku is miles away from surface battles like her real world counterparts happily blotting out the sun with aircraft.

I'd just love to see how they may play off of each other and work their strengths in fighting styles together. I personally see it as KC ship girls leaning more towards ship (less mobile, probably more durable, truly miniaturized warships) where as AZ ship girls lean far more towards girl (physics defying mobility, less nimble, somewhat reduced firepower when using rigging vs ship). Who exactly has the better fighting style is up for debate, and I can see it going either way.

Though a large part of me likes to think the high mobility is limited to lighter ships in AZ. You won't see Bismarck or any other battleship hoping around like we see Takao and enterprise doing.

KC girls on the other hand are almost certainly going to engage from much further away, and while we see AZ girls doing the same, they only do is using their ships-a target much larger then the girls and most abyssals in KC, which is a point in Kancolle's favor at range. (I'm assuming the ranges in the AZ game when using rigging are much closer then actual battles going off of AVs and the Anime itself)

Idk, the Ooyodo isaki got me thinking about crossovers and how the girls would do fighting each other's enemies and whatnot. It'd just be pretty cool to see AZ Enty duke it out with a Wo or Yamato Dueling a Rook and wining because it can't hit a human sized target at range.

Last edited:
I'm 70% sure AZ Enterprise would have no qualms getting up close and personal with a Wo or maybe even a Re (she only fought carriers in the anime so it's up for debate, though she did route an iron blood surface fleet with her presence in close quarters alone, implying Eugen-even with support couldn't defeat her in a brawl) while KC Zuikaku is miles away from surface battles like her real world counterparts happily blotting out the sun with aircraft.
Thats the anime though, in the game she sits in the back line with the battleships and the other carriers and owari da things to death.

Also the first anime has... issues

Last edited:
Thats the anime though, in the game she sits in the back line with the battleships and the other carriers and owari da things to death.

Also the first anime has... issues
I like to think the game ranges aren't quite on par with what they'd have done in ww2, whereas Kancolle makes a point to say the girls still fight more or less like it's ww2

I personally see it as KC ship girls leaning more towards ship (less mobile, probably more durable, truly miniaturized warships) where as AZ ship girls lean far more towards girl (physics defying mobility, less nimble, somewhat reduced firepower when using rigging vs ship). Who exactly has the better fighting style is up for debate, and I can see it going either way.

Though a large part of me likes to think the high mobility is limited to lighter ships in AZ. You won't see Bismarck or any other battleship hoping around like we see Takao and enterprise doing.

KC girls on the other hand are almost certainly going to engage from much further away, and while we see AZ girls doing the same, they only do is using their ships-a target much larger then the girls and most abyssals in KC, which is a point in Kancolle's favor at range. (I'm assuming the ranges in the AZ game when using rigging are much closer then actual battles going off of AVs and the Anime itself)
The Azur Lane game actually contradicts the anime rather heavily - there's a difference between the shipgirls and 'mass production' ships, and apart from maybe some early-installment bits, it's never implied that shipgirls can manifest their riggings as full-sized vessels. In fact, Dreamwalker's Butterfly strongly implies the opposite, when Kii offers the use of one of her mass-produced warships for Shinano to rest on rather than one of the shipgirls manifesting their own (presumably much better quality) riggings as a warship.

As far as aircraft ranges go, Crimson Echoes has Houshou using her planes to conduct very long-range recon, as well as Siren Carriers being able to launch without being within detectable range. Likewise the more recent Daedalian Hymn has Aquila using her planes in a long-range scouting role, and Winter's Crown has carrier aircraft operating well away from their carriers, and Inverted Orthant is even more explicit, with Peter Strasser being reliant on Prinz Heinrich and Nurnberg's visual clarification of Compiler's movements once she starts making her escape. As well, the game mechanics themselves have recently been reworked a bit to indicate that carriers are implied to be farther away than battleships: carriers start battles in an 'Undetected' state where they can't be targeted, and are gradually uncovered either by launching planes in quick succession or by enemy attacks (whether aircraft or ships) progressing past the player's Vanguard fleet to locate them.

The range of ships' guns is a bit more vague - the Prologue has Hood not being able to visually identify Prinz Eugen as not being Bismarck, and Scherzo of Iron and Blood indicates that beyond-the-horizon shots are possible ... and at the end, Bismarck's final shot is stated to not reach the Royal fleet due to her fire control being destroyed. The implication being that they were within her range, but far enough that she still had to arc her shot, and yet still fell short. Obviously it's not concrete numbers, but it does suggest longer ranges. Iris of Light and Dark has Massachusetts examining a shell and determining it to have been fired by Jean Bart without Jean Bart being in the scene, and goes to find her; however, it is possible that she's examining the effect a shell had had, and that Jean Bart fired it from a closer range when Massachusetts wasn't around.

The side game Crosswave does have a scene showing off the 'real' firepower and range of a warship, however. Note that Z23 says, "while decreasing range," which should mean her actual range (while presumably firing a Light Cruiser gun) is higher than displayed. It's still quite a vague scene, but since Z23 is on the ocean and well away from the island and still manages to accurately fire on an admittedly stationary target, it strongly favors longer ranges being well within their capabilities. That said, Crosswave is IIRC an alternate universe compared to the standard game, and in-universe Iron Blood does possess greater scientific advances compared to the other factions, so combined with the fact that it was a planned event that Z23 couldn't just off-hand, it might not be a 'standard' capability across all shipgirls. As well, when the other factions discuss the bombardment, they are impressed by the power of the attack, but not by its range or accuracy.

You also have scenes and texts in the game which state that what they are doing in the anime is in the WTF tier

Here's the 2nd snippet on that Ooyodo isekai. Snippet 1

SNIPPET #2 Revised:

Early morning in the Mess seemed to be a flurry of activity as KAN-SEN eat and socialize with each other about the most mundane things. The place seemed less of a military posting and more like a community/town.

Ooyodo noted these things as she sat eating her breakfast. Getting a bit more sense of herself she started to review the memories she seemed to gain. Apparently she somehow took possession of the ship girl named Edinburgh of the Town-class ships of the British Royal Navy. She is a ship girl or KAN-SEN, as officially recognized, belonging to an international naval organization called Azur Lane that consists of multiple major nations that include expies of the ones Ooyodo is familiar with. They are the Eagle Union, Royal Navy, Iron Blood, Sakura Empire, Dragon Empery, Iris Orthodoxy, Sardegna Empire, and Northern Parliament. They are just the United States, United Kingdom of Great Britain, Germany, Japan, China, France, Italy, and Russia with different names respectively.

Ooyodo mentally noted to read up some history books to make sense of this later. She put her fingers on her brow to massage the headache she's getting from this as she starts reviewing her memories further. Moving on said organization was formed to combat the Siren threat. These Sirens are mysterious advanced technological foes that appeared out of nowhere during this world's equivalent of World War I and started to attack humanity, nearly reducing their population in the millions and cutting them off from the seas. Azur Lane was formed to fight them back. It was during this time that the so-called Mental Cubes were discovered and was used to create these ship girls or KAN-SEN.

Massaging her brow, Ooyodo just sighed reviewing the next set of memories. With the ship girls helping repel the Siren Invasion, humanity would once again regain control of the seas. For a time.

Then hostilities between the member factions happened. Without a common foes humanity turned on each other. Apparently many factions within Azur Lane soon came to the idea to take to take control of the Sirens and their technology and started hostilities over it, which lead to a second faction, Crimson Axis, and wage this world's equivalent of World War II with the respective nations and alliances that imply.

I supposes that's probably the reason why she noticed many ubiquitous devices such as smartphones and tablets on my way to the mess. At least this WWII ended just recently, with the reemergence of the Sirens who weren't defeated at all. They just bided their time apparently. File it later Ooyodo. Concentrate on more important things such as this coffee I'm enjoying. Ooyodo thought to herself drinking her blend of coffee which she's thankful it exists in this world.

Ooyodo being deep into her thoughts nearly missed her sisters calling her.

"Edinburgh! Are you there?" Sheffield said.

"Hmm? Wha—Sorry. I was lost in thought. What were you saying just now?" Ooyodo replied breaking out of her thoughts, sounding like how her host should, a bit nervous and jumpy as she put down her morning coffee.

"We've been calling you for the past 20 minutes. We thought we'd have to call Vestal," said the beautiful woman with silver hair and generous curves in a maid outfit. Ooyodo know her to be Belfast thanks to her host's memories.

"Sorry. I got lost in thought," Ooyodo replied in Edinburgh's clumsy mannerisms with practiced ease. Hopefully this would stave off some suspicion on why she might act differently to everyone "she" knows.

"Apparently. Have you noticed your table? Really noticed?" Sheffield said as she pointed to a spot. Said spot contained a high stack of empty plates. Ooyodo looked at the empty plates before asking Sheffield what she meant but now started to look at her surroundings. Everyone in the mess was quiet as they stared at the empty plates that was visible to them. Ooyodo looked and saw that she was the only one that had this many empty plates.

Damn it! Ooyodo realized too late that ship girls here only ate normal human portion-sized meals. Ooyodo was too busy with her thoughts that she automatically started to eat large portion sized meals. It's not entirely her fault though as the ship girls that Ooyodo is from are partly made of magic and concepts that feeding some thousands of sailors in a warship would directly translate to ship girls eating that much amount as their form of resupply. The KAN-SEN world Ooyodo found herself in are the opposite. She could hear the murmurings of other ship girls now.

"Oh my God! How the hell is she eating that many!?"

"Should we be concerned about this?"

"Is she practicing for an eating competition?"

"Waste not, Want not, I always say."

Ooyodo looked at sisters having a concerned look towards her and replied, "I was hungry?"

"We're going to see Vestal now," Belfast said before getting up and grabbing onto her elder sister's side and drag her to the infirmary.

"This qualifies as an emergency," Sheffield said as she too grabbed her elder sister's other side to drag her as well.

"Wait! I can walk! You don't have too…" Ooyodo just barely struggled to get out of their grasp but they were a bit too strong. She's going to have to think how she'll have to explain herself out of this one and Edinburgh's memories are not forthcoming.

AN: Thoughts anyone? A bit of an info dump but necessary to set things up. And I have no idea what to do next. I did have a vague outline of Ooyodo kicking out the previous Secretary ship for doing a shoddy job, only using it as an excuse for the commander to have her bent over a desk all day every day with just enough paperwork done to keep the base running. It also lead to the military operations being lackluster to the Siren threat. But that's just my take on the idea. Everyone else is welcome write for it.

Edit: Edited to make Ooyodo's inner thoughts more prominent

Edit #2: Edited to make it so that it doesn't sound like I'm bashing the setting, despite what others thought.

Last edited:
Back