Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

And now I have the mental image of Biscuit sending Sabaton a letter of her picture, and three words.

"Not a he."
Fun thing about Sabaton have done special tributes to specific units, like variants of Panzer Battalion for the amphibious battalion deployed with MINURCAT in 2008, or the Norwegian 2nd Battalion (for their deployment to Afghanistan, AFAIK).

If Got writes on Bismarcks behalf, the outcome is probably favorable.

Last edited:
At any rate, Ship Boys are something I'm not as inherently against as I once was. Blame Sheo for that. But the fact is simple, really. Outside of lewds where it doesn't matter because LEWD...you need a really good author to pull it off. Because you inherently have someone who is SPECIAL AND UNIQUE by virtue of...being male. In an entirely female cast. This, by itself, is something a lot of authors are going to really faceplant on. I'm not entirely sure I could pull it off, and I'm a character author. It's very, very difficult to write something like that without coming across as 'oh, I want a guy in an all-female cast for...reasons. Yes. 'Reasons'.

I'm still incredibly leery of the entire concept.
And if there are multiple male ship spirits? It's not exactly a special snowflake situation if it's considered normal in universe to have both female and male ships.

Kantai Collection as a source material isn't exactly plot dense, it's entirely possible to make a reasonable situation where all the shown shipgirls exist and shipboys also exist. Canon covers the Japanese military fleet of WW2 with guest inclusions from other military fleets of the same era, there are a lot more unshown ships which can be personified than those already done.

Off the top of my head... Maybe all the Japanese ships are girls because of yin/yang philosophy, while other navies might have different female/male ratios based on philosophical differences, where one might have a male dominated force, or another a more even mix. I mean that would be a workable justification for in-universe of a fic.

Last edited:
Fun thing about Sabaton have done special tributes to specific units, like variants of Panzer Battalion for the amphibious battalion deployed with MINURCAT in 2008, or the Norwegian 2nd Battalion (for their deployment to Afghanistan, AFAIK).

If Got writes on Bismarcks behalf, the outcome is probably favorable.
I mean, it's the ship herself, that's about as primary a source as you GET. All Gotland would need to do, at most, is say "yeah that's Bismark".

Slightly late: from the 16 October update.

Akigumo Kai Ni.

Nowaki Halloween.

Richelieu with a Mont Blanc.

Not in the game, but a promotional image for Fuji Speedway race with Nelson as the race queen.

One of the fastest ways to have me NOT read your story is shipboys and male self inserts. Because I'm SO FUCKING TIRED OF MALES IN KANCOLLE FICTION.
As a TG'd SI is STILL A MALE.

REMOVE

One of the fastest ways to have me NOT read your story is shipboys and male self inserts. Because I'm SO FUCKING TIRED OF MALES IN KANCOLLE FICTION.
As a TG'd SI is STILL A MALE.

REMOVE
Eh, I've come to like Admiral Isoroku Goto in the shared Belated Battleships/Harry and fhe Shipgirls universe. A young (at the time of the first abyssal attacks) JMSDF officer who survives to the present day, is in a loving and faithful relationship with Kongo, after having been captain of her successor, JMSDF Kongo. I just enjoy the combination of scheming strategist and "has had enough of this shit" used in that character.
(Hard to avoid there being at least the one male admiral that Kongo canonically talks about all the damn time, afterall)

I'd be 100% fine with more Kancolle fics without that idiot in it.

Plenty of other battleships who get ignored in favor of that leg humping idiot. She manages to somehow be the Worst Kongo.

Write about someone else. Hell write about things which AREN'T battleships!

Hey now, what about jessetheswift's fic? I'd say that he's written some damm good stuff.
Literally who?

My hate of males in Kancolle is managing to get up to the point of how much I hate them in Touhou. Remember you awesome Outside OC/SI should only exist to be killed and eaten. And no you cannot prove me wrong.

There's a few on FF.net, but the main turnoff on those is more from the writing and grammar than the premise...

So, random idea/question: do you guys think a Kanmusu/Abyssal would be "human enough" for being rezzed by a Ghost? Because I've got this scene in my head where one does get rezzed (let's just say she's a battleship), and a bunch of Fallen see this and, thinking this is going to be some easy kill on some noob Guardian, move out (let's just say that this happens over in the Cosmodrome area). We skip forward about an hour or two later, from the POV of a fireteam that have been sent out because the Vanguard have been getting reports of explosions and Fallen screaming in terror. They get there and what they find, is, well......about everything in a 10 mile radius of the rez point is on fire (Solar Light+Battleship grade weaponry=Napalm on Crystal Meth), a Fallen Ketch has been blown out of the sky, and the Cosmodrome Wall has several extremely large holes blown in it. Said recently-rezzed battleship has managed to rack up a kill count in the triple digits and rising.
And then there's the thought about what happens when you mix Guardian shenanigans with Shipgirl shenanigans, suffice to say, crazy shit happens.

So, random idea/question: do you guys think a Kanmusu/Abyssal would be "human enough" for being rezzed by a Ghost? Because I've got this scene in my head where one does get rezzed (let's just say she's a battleship), and a bunch of Fallen see this and, thinking this is going to be some easy kill on some noob Guardian, move out (let's just say that this happens over in the Cosmodrome area). We skip forward about an hour or two later, from the POV of a fireteam that have been sent out because the Vanguard have been getting reports of explosions and Fallen screaming in terror. They get there and what they find, is, well......about everything in a 10 mile radius of the rez point is on fire (Solar Light+Battleship grade weaponry=Napalm on Crystal Meth), a Fallen Ketch has been blown out of the sky, and the Cosmodrome Wall has several extremely large holes blown in it. Said recently-rezzed battleship has managed to rack up a kill count in the triple digits and rising.
And then there's the thought about what happens when you mix Guardian shenanigans with Shipgirl shenanigans, suffice to say, crazy shit happens.
I mean do they even need the ghost? Shipgirls are already resurrected beings to begin with in a lot of the fics (since actual lore is effectively nonexistent)

You use battleship in this example, but that description sounds more like a Hunter who just unlocked Golden Gun on Gunslinger, and we all know Battleships are Titans.

You use battleship in this example, but that description sounds more like a Hunter who just unlocked Golden Gun on Gunslinger, and we all know Battleships are Titans.
Nonono, if it were a Hunter, then no one would notice and a strike team wouldn't have to be sent out, unfortunately this is a Battleship we are talking about here, and, well, BB's don't do subtle. Also, you do know that not all Lightbears belong to the 3 classes (for example we have the Drifter) and that Supers looking the way they do is a gameplay mechanic, don't you?
EDIT: oh, and the reason I went with a Battleship is because A: I wanted maximum destruction, and B: the scene wouldn't have worked without one.

Last edited:
Another idea related to Destiny, but what would happen if one of those colony ships all over the Cosmodrome self-summoned/got rezzed by a Ghost? I mean she may not be meant to fight shit, but she does have those big-ass rockets, I could see one of those things doing a shitload of damage against something.
Also, the idea of the Vex doing the equivalent of freaking out because there's now another group of Paracausal entities in the system that can fuck their shit up better than Guardians do is somewhat funny.

Yukikaze Kai 2.
Worth noting that Yukikaze has one of Yamato's (many) hair flowers, and her expression in the damaged art resembles Yamato.

Yukikaze as ROC Tan Yang:

Also worth reposting for the occasion:

Yukikaze was given to the ROC Navy following a lucky draw by Admiral Ma Dejian:

From here:

So they got to draw from a lottery to decide what IJN ship they received? Interesting. I figured they were just assigned a DD picked by the US.

New equipment from ranking rewards: Modified Swordfish Mk.III and 6-inch Mk.XXIII, possibly hinting at a Town-class cruiser.

Back