Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Like I said over at SB, a post-Debt of Honor Abyssal War wouldn't be pretty at all.

Arcade: 5-5 Fight against Re and Southern War Princess tag-team. 7:25 for the start of the real fight. 7:35 for Re's torpedo attack animation. 12:38 for Re's strikecraft launch animation.

A strange design choice is having the "flightdeck" plating loop around Re's tail, rather than running along its back. The way she puts her strikecraft in the air is... interesting.

The soundtrack:

Last edited:
Is there a usual doctrinal distance or simply as far away as possible?

Depends mainly on detection distance. You'll vector to intercept a known threat as far out as possible regardless, so once it's on the screen people will be sent out after it from their patrol positions. After that, the question depends to some degree on if the threats will approach from a known bearing or bearings. If you could be attacked from any angle, you'll have CAP elements spread out and closer in, if you have a single threat vector you'll have a barrier CAP out as far out as you can push it and give them a decent loiter time.

Last edited:
New shipgirl sighted in the official Kancolle 2019 Calendar:

Considering that the artist for this page is Zeco, the new shipgirl is pretty much confirmed to be a Fletcher-class. The signal flag apparently points to the shipgirl possibly being Johnston.

New shipgirl sighted in the official Kancolle 2019 Calendar:

Considering that the artist for this page is Zeco, the new shipgirl is pretty much confirmed to be a Fletcher-class. The signal flag apparently points to the shipgirl possibly being Johnston.
Wait, Sammy's whale is ALIVE? When did that happen?

This is the complete album of the calendar.

Short descriptions, other than Johnston and Sammy:

- Fujinami, Hamanami, and two new Yuugumos, one of whose face is hidden.
- Yoshinori big USgirls fanservice.
- Hyuuga Kai Ni basically confirmed.
- Western comic-style Gamby.
- Glasses Gotland.
- Jervis and her mommy.
- Ashigara and Nachi drinking together.
- Shiratsuyu and Shigure beach time, plus possibly Samidare and Suzukaze in the background.
- Comrade Tall One and the Akatsukis.
- Maestrale, Libeccio, and Roma together.
- All of Akasaka Yuzu's kaiboukans having fun.

I bet we never find out what her hand looks like under that glove.
You know how sometimes the US Navy did field repairs using palm trees?
Two of her fingers look like that, with tiny trunks and improvised joints and cables for moving it. She can still move the fingers, but they're still pretty slow and clumsy so it's a bit of a pain for her.

We have another translation of Kahasina's work, which can be found on Mangadex.

"Pearl White Venus"

A surveyor/researcher finds a derelict Arashio on a beach littered with Abyssal remnants and wrecks.

This one is a real headscratcher, a slow-boiling horror even actually. It really needs to be read firsthand.

We have another translation of Kahasina's work, which can be found on Mangadex.

"Pearl White Venus"

A surveyor/researcher finds a derelict Arashio on a beach littered with Abyssal remnants and wrecks.

This one is a real headscratcher, a slow-boiling horror even actually. It really needs to be read firsthand.
I'll level wih you, I don't get it, think it went over my head. Is the Arashio an Abyssal? What about the second one afterwards? Why is she calling the researcher an admiral now? What was that shot at the end? I'm so confused.

I'll level wih you, I don't get it, think it went over my head. Is the Arashio an Abyssal? What about the second one afterwards? Why is she calling the researcher an admiral now? What was that shot at the end? I'm so confused.

My take on it is that it's the idea that Abyssals become shipgirls (like in the KC movie). The Arashio found at the start was an Abyssal, hence the Abyssal debris around her, and why she morphs her hand into an Abyssal gun before turning it into a regular gun.

The second Arashio is the original Arashio I think, and the one who killed the Abyssal. She wanted to eliminate the Abyssal clone of her, but the clone Arashio has become attached to the researcher (calling him an 'admiral') which counts as some specific quality that means the clone has become a real shipgirl.

I think the last shot was the broken limb the researcher was examining earlier, but I have no idea what it's supposed to suggest.

Don't worry, I don't fully get it either.

I'll just add a bit to what Lelenoi said above.

The "Copy" Arashio may or may not be an Abyssal. It could also be that she's the "true form" of both Abyssals and Shipgirls, i.e. they share a basic undifferentiated form.

It appears that the act of Copy Arashio claiming the researcher as an Admiral made the second/"Original" Arashio spare her. By claiming the Admiral she's now recognized by Original Arashio's systems as an individual and friendly entity, and therefore cannot be killed.

I'm not sure if there's a true significance to the closing shot.

About the title: Pearl White Venus is very likely to be a reference to the association of the birth of the Goddess Venus rising fully grown from the sea, known as Venus Anadyomene, such as depicted in the well-known painting of Boticelli's. A scallop or oyster is an important part of this association.

The Birth of Venus - Wikipedia

Venus Anadyomene - Wikipedia

The researcher when examining Arashio's broken arm note noted its qualities and a certain liquid that's coming out, indeed, like a pearl oyster's insides:
Nacre - Wikipedia

Also I'm pretty sure that the 'original' one has that same bits of 'growths' as her equipment.

Thus Shipgirls and Abyssals may be the same thing just one being influenced by how they contact things. Encounters with humans would direct them into shipgirls by imprinting them with ideas like the guy did unknowingly. Note how Arashio had the same weapon forming but this time in the position that was the rigging gun instead of it being an arm cannon.

Abyssals in this case may simply be 'feral' shipgirls which didn't have humans to imprint things on thus their growth is irregular and monsterous. Thus summoned shipgirls are tied a 'directed' evolution to become their specific 'species' Also the fact that a name was given is VERY important as by giving a name gives identity and also power.

Minegumo:

Hayanami:

Nisshin:

Johnston:

Abyssal Minegumo:

Abyssal Nisshin ????

This right here...wow. My favorite design.

Last edited:
Back