Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Ehh, this is the part that irks me the most. Ships are always, always, ALWAYS female (except in Russia, where they are "it"), and this feels a little bit like Kant-O-Celle. The rest of it is fine, it's just the idea of male ships that irks me.
*looks at Bismarck's captain* :V
*COUGH*FRENCH BOATS ARE MALE*COUGH*

And Italian are... weird. They got a sometimes male something time female, FOR THE SAME SHIP, thing going on that I never was able to get a straight answer of.

Also as I understand it in Russian the word ship is MALE but the actual ships like Gangut is call what Gender their name is. And Gangut is masculine in Russia, so that ship would have been referred to as male.

Ehh, this is the part that irks me the most. Ships are always, always, ALWAYS female (except in Russia, where they are "it"), and this feels a little bit like Kant-O-Celle. The rest of it is fine, it's just the idea of male ships that irks me.

Even in Russia, the ships are usually female. Except in certain works, where they are male, and also all gay. Because funny. Which, really, is the trick. If you're playing ship-dudes for laughs, (As in, "why the fuck is this happening!?"), it works. But since ships are virtually universally regarded as female, doing it "SRS 4 Realz" really doesn't work.

And Italian are... weird. They got a sometimes male something time female, FOR THE SAME SHIP, thing going on that I never was able to get a straight answer of.
Italian is a romance language, so names have a grammatical gender, depending of the ending syllabe of the name itself. Ships are grammatically female, since "nave" is a grammatically female name.
Problem is that most proper ship names are grammatically male, since they're mostly names taken from historical figures (Giulio Cesare, Caio Duilio) or winds (Libeccio, Maestrale). Then you got the ones name from cities (Zara, Pola, Roma), animals (Aquila, Sparviero, Tigre, Leone) or things (Saetta, Dardo) which can be both.
In any case it's correct to call ships as female in Italian, even if that doesn't fit with the personal name of the ship. This also makes clear that you are talking about the ship and not about their namesake, which might be important in most cases. It's similar to how you call Bismark female, even if her namesake is male.

Now technically subs are grammatically male, since the full designation is "battello sotttomarino" and "battello" is a male name; most (but not all) sub names came from men. For consistency's sake use the female for everyone involved and save yourself the headache.

Last edited:
In Spain ships, and particularly warships, are gendered in regard of their type. Usually the higher weight ships are male, from destroyer to battleship, while smaller ships are referred as females, particularly frigates and corvettes.

And the name of the ship is ignored, giving one of the few acceptable discordances in Spanish when it comes to articles and nouns.

The reason for it is that even if "nave" also exists in Spanish, the commonly omitted sustantive for "ship" is "barco", which is male gendered.

Dunno if it's different in Spain but here the usual noun for warships specifically is buque (de guerra).

El buque (warship)
La nave (vessel)
El barco (ship)
El bote (boat)
El destructor (destroyer)
El acorazado (battleship)
El crucero (cruiser)
El portaaviones (carrier)
La fragata (frigate)
La corbeta (corvette)
El submarino (sub)

As far as ships represented in Kancolle are concerned, they're all male.

Last edited:
Dunno if it's different in Spain but here the usual noun for warships specifically is buque (de guerra).
Well, usually "barco" and "buque" are quite interchangeable.

And you are ignoring my comment about omitting portions of the name. An aircraft carrier in Spanish is fully called "un [buque] portaaviones", and the gender comes from the part in ellipsis. A destroyer is also "un [buque] destructor", but curiously, a battleship is "un [barco] acorazado".

In any case, the point is that in Spanish, gender for ships varies depending on the type of the ship. And ignores the ship's name.

Also, older types, from the Age of Sail, are even more confusing, and in that case it's because the really ancient name for a ship was "nao", from which the more modern "nave" derives, and both are female.

Italian is a romance language, so names have a grammatical gender, depending of the ending syllabe of the name itself. Ships are grammatically female, since "nave" is a grammatically female name.
Problem is that most proper ship names are grammatically male, since they're mostly names taken from historical figures (Giulio Cesare, Caio Duilio) or winds (Libeccio, Maestrale). Then you got the ones name from cities (Zara, Pola, Roma), animals (Aquila, Sparviero, Tigre, Leone) or things (Saetta, Dardo) which can be both.
In any case it's correct to call ships as female in Italian, even if that doesn't fit with the personal name of the ship. This also makes clear that you are talking about the ship and not about their namesake, which might be important in most cases. It's similar to how you call Bismark female, even if her namesake is male.

Now technically subs are grammatically male, since the full designation is "battello sotttomarino" and "battello" is a male name; most (but not all) sub names came from men. For consistency's sake use the female for everyone involved and save yourself the headache.

This is mostly correct, grammar-wise. It still doesn't take into account the tendency in common speech to assign a gender to ships depending on the gender of their ship-type (eg. cruisers being male or frigates and carriers being female) or the traditions of the Italian navy...

To make a long story short, in the Italian navy:

• Civilian ships are female
  • Submarines are male
  • Military ships before about 1930 are female
  • Military ships from about 1930 to the end of WW2 were "officially" male but mostly referred to with female pronouns in practice.
  • Military ships post WW2 should be referred to with either female pronouns and the Nave (Ship) title before their name or with male pronouns if one omits the "Nave" title.
...or at least, that's how I think it works.

Last edited:
I'm remiss to admit this, but... The English language is more coherent when dealing with ships than most Latin-derived languages.

"English" and "coherent" shouldn't exist in the same sentence, and yet...

Well, usually "barco" and "buque" are quite interchangeable.

And you are ignoring my comment about omitting portions of the name. An aircraft carrier in Spanish is fully called "un [buque] portaaviones", and the gender comes from the part in ellipsis. A destroyer is also "un [buque] destructor", but curiously, a battleship is "un [barco] acorazado".

In any case, the point is that in Spanish, gender for ships varies depending on the type of the ship. And ignores the ship's name.

Also, older types, from the Age of Sail, are even more confusing, and in that case it's because the really ancient name for a ship was "nao", from which the more modern "nave" derives, and both are female.
It's not like I'm disagreeing with you so why you arguing me?

Anyways I assume Latin America simply uses Spanish differently. I just went with how things were used in the official website for the Chilean Navy and whatnot. You guys don't hold the monopoly on the language. :V

I'm remiss to admit this, but... The English language is more coherent when dealing with ships than most Latin-derived languages.

That's just an offshoot of grammatical gender and the different origins for specific words but it's not like it matters 'cause they suck everywhere else. :V

Last edited:

The English Language says: "I don't steal everything from every language."

English is more coherent when talking about inanimate objects in general. Or dealing with mixed gender groups (No, having a million women and one man in a group does not mean that you should refer to the entire group as a whole as male. I'm looking at you, French). The existence of non-gendered pronouns is amazing, and I have no idea how it happened.

Of course, applying that to ships is difficult, because official documentation always uses gender neutral words, but sailors and traditions do what they want regardless of the rules of the language or government documentation.

Even in Russia, the ships are usually female. Except in certain works, where they are male, and also all gay. Because funny. Which, really, is the trick. If you're playing ship-dudes for laughs, (As in, "why the fuck is this happening!?"), it works. But since ships are virtually universally regarded as female, doing it "SRS 4 Realz" really doesn't work.
They are not. Referring to ships as female is on very rare side not "usual"

Yeah. Honestly, ships are... less anthropomorphized in general here. I'd type up an overview, but I'm away from the computer right now.

Last edited:
The Battleship Iowa will be streaming today at 3PM Pacific time with special guest Troy Vail, army veteran and IT guru! Join us!

(Also follow our Facebook page for announcements, trivia, and more!)

Well, I've already written this out, so I thought: Why not?
By the way, all of this series is collected in my Fanfiction.net account. Exact same name as my SV account.

Summoning.

Despite some misconceptions, it was not as simple as some priest standing in front of a pool and doing some song and dance. Each Summoning involved over a hundred servicemen and civilians, as well as hundreds of dollars worth of offerings in steel, bauxite and oil for each attempt.

The media were invited, a first. Cameramen were ambling around, setting up tripods or adjusting lights. Smartly-dressed correspondents stood nearby, rehearsing lines or conversing with fellow newscasters.
Admiral Richards, USN, didn't know who exactly gave the go-ahead to let news cameras in, but she was sure whoever signed off on it had never stepped foot on a Shipgirl base in their lives. Considering the shenanigans humanity's last line of defense gets up to on a daily basis, one would think that the higher-ups would do anything to prevent the media from entering.

Actually, that just about explains it. The higher-ups have no idea what goes on in Shipgirl bases, do they?

One could only hope this was one of those few days where none of the several dozen Shipgirls currently stationed here felt like trying out one of their bright ideas.

One can hope.

Several foreign dignitaries attended this summoning as well. A show of friendship and solidarity between nations. And also, perhaps, a hope that their presence might encourage the spirits of their nations to come forth as well.
The Admirals in the room wished extra hard for nothing to happen around them.

The summoning began. The same procedure as last time (devised by Cpt. Yuubari of the R&D Division) was used: African choir singing in full force, the flags and banners of countries around the world were unfurling around the perimeter of the room. The only difference being that the "balls" of those countries not yet summoned were highlighted, their flags and insignias placed vanward.

The water started bubbling like the surface of a witch's cauldron.

It continued to boil…

And bubble…

Boil…

Bubble…

The water flashed, like a flashbang going off, bright enough to blind anybody looking in it's general direction, and deafen most everyone, if only for a moment.

And when everyone looked back, the pool now had occupants.

The cameras started clicking.

Just like before, the summoned took the form of multiple spherical beings, with blank yet expressive white eyes, and no mouth. Together, they spoke.

"Hooray, we are of modern secular nation-states now! We are finally free from shtoopid imperialist pig rule of Franc and Britain!"

At that moment, all Shipgirls in the room from Britannia and L'Hexagone twitched.

There were approximately two dozen balls at first glance, a good chunk bearing colours of red, white, black and green, with some blue scattered here and there.

"Oh, salam there, kafir harbi!" one of the balls (all-green, with the shahada and a sword in white) "greeted". "We are of the great and mighty Arab League! What has made of you to come to us? Perhaps you are of sick and tired of your atheist ways and wish to be of the one true faith!? Is okay, the great holy prophet has taught us to welcomes all races!" it preened.

"Oh, joy." droned Ark Royal. Lady Warspite, typically so collected, began to shift uneasily in her wheelchair.

The room erupted in a cacophony. Newscasters were talking into the cameras, cameras handheld and mounted were jostling to get the clearest view, and lights started flashing all around the darkened room, dizzying anyone without the quick sense to look away.

Admiral Cummingham, Royal Navy, resisted the urge to facepalm.

"Should me and the girls throw them all out, sir?" a stately battlecruiser asked, knuckles cracking. "Me and Seydlitz alone could handle them in five minutes."

"No, Invincible. Unnecessarily loud or not, they haven't broken any of our rules and tried to talk to our new summons."

"Ah, I see…"

She stepped back, frowning.

Meanwhile, the summoned balls, who had just exited the pool, were clearly overwhelmed.

"Look, Palestine, we are of famous!" Iraq said to it's smaller compatriot.

The balls then noticed that Palestine had a shadow growing over it, before it was crushed like a bug under a heavy glass brick.

The other countryballs, Shipgirls, Admirals, Diplomats and cameras broadcasting live over the Internet and on international television, all stopped. Slowly, they all turned towards the new arrival.

This one also had blank white eyes. But instead of being a sphere, this one was a semi-transparent cube. Two blue bands snaking around the cube, above and below it's eyes. And between these blue bands, right between it's eyes, was… a blue Star of David.

Oh dear.

"Shalom."

The Islamic balls gathered together, eyeing this new arrival suspiciously.

"Excuse, what have yuo of done with our good friend Palestine?" asked Syria.

"…"

Warspite rapidly stood up from her wheelchair, dropping scepter and orb, and started sprinting window-ward.

"Nope nope nope, not dealing with this bullshit, nooope."

She ran up the metal steps leading up to the metal catwalk, criss-crossing near the top of the crowded room, and executed a perfect action movie dive through the first window she saw, the glass artfully shattering into a rain of fragments that followed the battleship's descent, whereupon she touched ground in a flawless three-point landing.

She then ran to the edge of the water, executed an impeccable forward group dive, and started swimming towards the horizon.

Everyone else in the summoning chamber (humans and shipgirls, mostly) watched on.

And throughout all of this, the news cameras were still rolling.

*BASH!*

*BOOM!*

*BANG!*

Right behind them, the sounds of 1948 being reenacted were echoing madly.

*KABOOM*

*ZOOOOOOOOOOM...*

*RATATATATATATA-*

Gradually, all the Admirals in the room felt a headache coming along, mocking them for ever thinking that live broadcast in a Shipgirl base would result in anything but humiliation and pain.

Last edited:
This one also had blank white eyes. But instead of being a sphere, this one was a semi-transparent cube. Two blue bands snaking around the cube, above and below it's eyes. And between these blue bands, right between it's eyes, was… a blue Star of David.

Oh dear.

"Shalom."
At least it's not Reichtangle.

Back