Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

Speaking of new kanmusu, the Kancolle Wiki has Intrepid and Tashkent listed as coming soon, people.

They're both in the game's API at the moment, though the Extra Operations that'll feature them won't come out until Wednesday, hence why we don't have images of them yet.

Isn't Shibe admiral discontinued? And was that like a fairy pilot?

AFAIK Shiba Dog Admiral is more or less finished.

Also, not a fairy pilot.

Search for "Shoukaku-san and Pilot-kun" by Shigemitsu Jun on Danbooru for that one.

Shipgirls and relationships; any instances in fanworks where you see them dating or being intimate with anybody other than admirals and fellow kanmusu?
New Jersey in BelaBat had a thing going with a university professor. However, things didn't work out between them. I know relationships will feature heavily in New Ironsides, but the story is rather far from that point. Aside from Shiba Dog Admiral (Yonehara is truly worthy of the Hungry Wolf's affections), you don't see relationships between shipgirls and civvies or random base staff too often. Part of it is because doujins (espeicially hentai ones) are kind of meant to allow readers to impress themselves upon the Admiral. And if it's yuri, well, yuri doesn't really bother with justification. Maybe there's other factors at play, but I can't think of any at the moment. Besides, it's going to be hard in many cases for shipgirls to have those kinds of relationships when there's a war raging on.

Oh! 30-Year-Old Yuubari-San has shipgirls in relationships, though their spouses tend to be offscreen.

Agreed. That whole wrapped sarashi look really was just too much.

I actually liked it, as it was somewhat revealing of character when compared to most of the other battleships; Musashi is the confident one, the one openly proud of her body, the girl who will never blush. And she wore it well.

That said, from a fashion perspective: always leave something to the imagination. A little mystery goes a long way.

New Jersey in BelaBat had a thing going with a university professor. However, things didn't work out between them.

In BelaBatt too, Large Cruiser Alaska is in a relationship with a civilian, Cameron, she met at a Toys 'r Us. Besides an uncommon "no sex until marriage" rule agreed by both parties, it is a very sweet and romantic relationship.

The rec i did earlier, 'Kimi no na Iowa', has some shipgirl not summoned or appearing, but reincarnating as normal girls, and awakening as shipgirls after the abyssals attack, the titular heroine, Iowa, i a reincarnated shipgirl, that already had a boyfriend.

Anyone know the "brevity codes" (USS, HMAS) of civilian vessels by any chance? Merchant convoys are proving hard to write about without extensive maritime knowledge.

Also, what do you suppose are the major countries' stances on Natural-Borns and conscription? Not for the very newsworthy capital ships, but the odd destroyer/frigategirl that no one cares about?

There's other codes too like RMS often on civilian ships.

Such as arguably the most famed ship in the west currently, and perhaps the world, RMS Titanic.

Quite a movie star and multi media star that ship.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix
Lots of books and documentaries too.

Chiming in about Musashi's outfit, since she's my favourite shipgirl ever.

I like both the original sarashi and this outfit.

The original sarashi goes well with her established confidence and general aura. Providing a contrast for Yamato is a simple excuse but a very valid one.

Musashi's K2 outfit has:
-Batman's seal of approval
-The Punisher's seal of approval
-Deapool's "Woah TITS" seal of approval

Actually, that reminds me.

There's a series where Deadpool is an Admiral. It's pool number 10586.

post number 2171176.

It's a bit too long to transcribe here:

Essentially Deadpool chastises Musashi for going all meta with her lines referencing the browser and whatnot.

Musashi out-metaed him by pointing out the very simple fact that he is not a Kantai Collection character in the first place; in her own words, "most irregular."

Musashi's new one makes me think of Suzutsuki weirdly enough due to her hair colour and outfit design. Stylish though just like Nagato. I hope Mutsu and Yamato get the same.

Personally on relationships I don't imagine most of the girls being particularly chaste for a number of reasons, many of which are related to the fragility of human life and the immense strain of the war. My own fic started with Takao getting out of bed and stroking scratch marks on her lover's back.

It might be more helpful if you lay out in its entirety what you're planning and thinking of, so everyone reading can see the full picture and we all can fill gaps in each other's knowledge.
Alright, here goes...

Plans are for a sort-of chronicles of the adventures (and mishaps) of civilian/Merchant Marine vessels plying the Australian-Indonesian region, following either:
  • The crew of a smallish tramp freighter (TBD), cut loose after the collapse of several major shipping companies,
  • A Natural-Born frigate/destroyer shipgirl fresh out of the academies,
  • (SI, discarded) The slightly-spoopy "navigator" of a suspiciously lucky crab/cod boat plying the waves.
Storyline-wise, plans are for the protagonist vessel to "hop" between oceanic routes every so often, joining up with/being assigned to merchant convoys heading up and down the seaboard, giving the PoV character(s) a chance to explore the effects of the Abyssal War on seaside communities and seafaring life.

That's all I've got so far, how is it?

(Addendum: The idea of turning the Principality of Sealand into a Waterworld-esque New Madagascar, though highly improbable, is highly tempting.)

Last edited:
I think I saw this one years ago and was kinda confused as I didn't think there were human combat pilots any more.
It kinda depends on what your setting is. Kancolle's lack of canon and hard information on the setting cuts both ways. Even in fanfiction you'll not find a hivemind of agreement. There will be fics where the only things that work are the shipgirls, and then there's fics where the human forces are just as capable in fighting the Abyssals.

It kinda depends on what your setting is. Kancolle's lack of canon and hard information on the setting cuts both ways. Even in fanfiction you'll not find a hivemind of agreement. There will be fics where the only things that work are the shipgirls, and then there's fics where the human forces are just as capable in fighting the Abyssals.
And then there are the steps in between where human forces works. You just have to hit a mansized target with guns made for hitting 100m+ vessels...

And then there are the steps in between where human forces works. You just have to hit a mansized target with guns made for hitting 100m+ vessels...
To be fair, the CEP of unguided 76mm and 5 inch is actually pretty decent, it's just that unlike shelling a land target, an abyssal is always in motion (and is stupidly tough for a girl-sized target); the kind of weapons that can hit a human-sized target aren't going to have the firepower to scratch a destroyer, let alone a cruiser or battleship.

Alright, here goes...

Plans are for a sort-of chronicles of the adventures (and mishaps) of civilian/Merchant Marine vessels plying the Australian-Indonesian region, following either:
  • The crew of a smallish tramp freighter (TBD), cut loose after the collapse of several major shipping companies,
  • A Natural-Born frigate/destroyer shipgirl fresh out of the academies,
  • (SI, discarded) The slightly-spoopy "navigator" of a suspiciously lucky crab/cod boat plying the waves.
Storyline-wise, plans are for the protagonist vessel to "hop" between oceanic routes every so often, joining up with/being assigned to merchant convoys heading up and down the seaboard, giving the PoV character(s) a chance to explore the effects of the Abyssal War on seaside communities and seafaring life.

That's all I've got so far, how is it?

(Addendum: The idea of turning the Principality of Sealand into a Waterworld-esque New Madagascar, though highly improbable, is highly tempting.)
There's very little that I can comment here because you're speaking in generalities. There's nothing inherently wrong with a tramp freighter crew going about their business or a new destroyer girl. The details are what matter.

Quite frankly if you're running into issues with the worldbuilding, i'd suggest making a character focused story. People will gloss over worldbuilding issues so long as you focus on the characters. Consider the Greatest Generation; the story suffers every time it forgets it's a character-focused story and tries to do worldbuilding, at which point it breaks suspension of disbelief. (Pulling a NuBSG by evacuating Singapore to Australia on a buncha ships? Yeah, right. :/) For a more benign example, Descendants of the Sun - the worldbuilding for Uruk makes absolutely no fucking sense but viewers let that slid because the bromance and the romances and the character drama are what sells the show.

Btw @Librarian
In short, striking a human-sized Abyssal cruiser with a normal Tomahawk equals to shooting a full-sized WW2 warship with a pencil/bullet-sized cruise missile. Hardly terrifying.
We're going to need bigger missiles.

I feel I should point out that antiship Tomahawk has a 1000 lbs warhead. WW2 warships weren't exactly shrugging off hits from 12" guns or 1,000 lbs AP bombs, y'know.

The pencil missile hitting the Abyssal would, I submit, be closer to a hit from Javelin (18.5 lbs warhead) or Hellfire (20 lbs warhead), given that these are antitank missiles using shaped charges, and while a 20 lbs shaped charge is good enough for killing a tank, given that it breaches the fighting compartment and does bad things to everybody inside, it's one thing to penetrate 320 inches RHA equivalent of armor and a fighting compartment; it's another thing to penetrate 2 inches of armor and 200 feet of ship, especially when a ship's internal compartments effectively act as spaced armor and everything important is to the center and under the deck.

This, then, is a problem, because as I said earlier, man-portable IIR ATGMs like Javelin or laser-guided helicopter-fired ATGMs like Hellfire are the missiles with the best chance of hitting man-sized targets... but they don't have the firepower to kill anything bigger than a tank. (Also I am not going to die on the hill of Hellfire's accuraccy, given that @Strypgia has mentioned witnessing a Hellfire not only miss a dude on a motorcycle, but despite exploding next to him said Taliban dude managed to get up and run and take cover inside a house. :/)

Last edited:
Musashi passed something to Kiyoshimo.

Fujinami brought something to remember Choukai by. It's the same flower knot in Choukai K2's skirt.

Y'know, I actually chuckled over them adding Jervis; because poor Pola.

Fanwork already has her being terrified at the sight of Warspite, how's she gonna react to the ship that actually sunk her?

Back