Jace911 "Reviews" Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Episode Twelve Reactions:

-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH FUCK

"I finally figured out what I want to wish for"

if it's fucking cake then I'm done

"I'm so sorry. I know you've been protecting me this whole time" AND THAT YOU'RE THE ONLY FUCKING REASON I HAVEN'T SOLD MY SOUL TO CAT SATAN UNTIL NOW

"I really want this, it's the answer I've been looking for"

? ? ? ?

"no matter how enormous your wish it most definitely will come true" "you're sure?" "of course!"

WHY

WOULD

YOU

BELIEVE

HIM

"what is the wish you would trade your soul for" I can't fucking watch

"I wish I had the power to erase witches before they're born!"

…what

"every single witch, from the past, present, and future! Everywhere!"

OH MY GOD CAT THING GASPED THAT MEANS IT'S GOOD

"that wish will unravel the fabric of causality! it violates the laws of karmic destiny!" YOUR FACE VIOLATES KARMIC DESTINY BITCH SUCK IT

"I don't care what I become. All the magical girls who believed in hope and fought witches, I don't want them to suffer. I want them to be at peace."

SAYAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"and if that goes against the laws of the universe then I'll just rewrite those laws"

did we seriously just get a "fuck it I do what I want"

"now grant my wish, Incubator!"

WHAT THE FU-

oh hey title drop???

YOU

"pinkie, do you know how scary that wish you made was?" "sorta" oh that just fills me to burst with confidence

"you'll be fighting an endless battle that stretches across time" bitch I have over three thousand dollars in student loans don't even try to scare me

"you'll cease to exist as a physical entity, dying would be a kinder fate" for who, us or pinkie?

"if someone ever tells me it's a mistake to have hope, then I'll tell them they're wrong. and I'll keep telling them until they believe" I don't know if it's the Corona or the music but this is actually warming my heart a bit

"sounds good to me!" oh no please don't tell me HNNNNGGGGG

SERIOUSLY SHOW AFTER ALL THE DEPRESSION THE HEARTWARMING IS KILLING ME

okay I know some people have said I'm reading too much into this but I cannot shake the sense that this show is a metaphor for feminism

these girls have given up their souls to fight for what they believe in–others, themselves, people they love–and until now they've only had two options, to die or to succumb become the very thing they were fighting

and now pinkie is taking a third option and opening the way for them to keep fighting by "becoming hope itself"

it just seems to fit too well to not have been at least partially intentional on the writers' parts

but good god that outfit still looks stupid as hell

you know ever since cat thing talked about the magical girls in history I was kind of wondering if we would get to see any

PINKIE INTERRUPT

wait so they just die then?

uh

I mean I guess that's better than being turned into a witch but

oh who am I kidding the music is happy so I guess it's okay

mother of god the sheer tonal shift from last episode is so huge it physically hurts

I have to wonder what the fuck is going through their heads in their dying moments as they're just sitting there with black soul gems and then a random girl in a ridiculously poofy pink dress appears above them

even when the show isn't on drugs it's still on drugs

"don't worry, I won't let your wishes end in despair" yeah it's fine you're just going to die and fade away like Yoda TOTALLY FINE

what the hell is with the girl dressed like a bear OH GOD FORGET I ASKED

holy shit the idea of a muslim magical girl in some war-torn middle eastern country is the best thing why does that not have its own series

please tell me there is good fanfiction somewhere

"I'll go back to before you were turned into this and take the burden of all your pain" and there's the obligatory jesus allegory

WHOA OKAY LOOKS LIKE WE'RE DIPPING BACK INTO THE ACID PITS

and then Homura was on the moon for some reason?

"the universe is in the process of reordering itself based on pinkie's new laws of reality" OH WELL I GUESS IT WAS TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR YOU TO NOT STICK AROUND

"would you like to see how pinkie meets her ultimate end?" well all I can see is an asteroid and my BAC is currently hovering around 0.07ish so I'm going to guess "Bruce Willis and Steve Buscemi"

"with all the hope she's harnessing she's giving birth to a new universe"

I'm too drunk to not just accept that arbitrary statement at face value

"but that means her eventual despair will be so great it will destroy another universe"

also too drunk to do more than shrug at this

"it's only natural" oh yes I remember that chapter in my physics textbook

wait so in the end she becomes a fucking elder god and eats reality are you shitting me right now

"remember I wished for the power to end all witches so even I don't have a thing to worry about!" but you're a witch so how can you with the bow and you're dead so you just killed you after you stopped being you I'm so fucking confused

well she just blew up Homura and the Earth nice collateral damage there pinkie

"the memories people have of you on Earth don't exist, you've crossed over onto a higher plane" shit's starting to get Evangelion up in here

WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS SHE FUCKING NAKED

ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL SHOW

"I don't believe it!" THAT MAKES FUCKING TWO OF US

NO SERIOUSLY THIS IS ACTUALLY MAKING ME MAD GUYS

THERE IS NO FUCKING REASON

NONE

AT FUCKING ALL

I CANNOT PUT INTO WORDS HOW UNCOMFORTABLE THIS MAKES ME

MY RUSTLED JIMMIES ARE BLOTTING OUT THE SUN

like I seriously have to alt tab out and just listen to them talk I can't stand to watch this shit

god this scene is fucking depressing and uplifting at the same time

so she's not wearing anything but she still somehow has her ribbons to give to Homura NOPE NOT ARBITRARY IN THE SLIGHTEST

oh hey it's not-crippled boy is this the part where we see how all the magical girls have left their mark on the world

wait

oh no

oh don't you do this to me show

why would you do this to me

"your wish was a precious thing, and I have to honor that, respect it" "I'm okay with that"

"I'm sure Hitomi and Kyouske will be very happy together"

hello 911 I'm being emotionally assaulted by a Japanese animated series please send SWAT

"well, are you ready to go?" "…yeah"

goodbye Sayaka

goodbye

wait so now magical girls just disappear into nothingness whenever they use up all their magic

so they're fucking blood mages now???

oh god show please don't do this to me

please don't show me her family without her

HOW THE HELL DOES HER TODDLER BROTHER REMEMBER HER

AND HOW THE FUCK CAN HE EVEN SPELL HER NAME

IN FUCKING ENGLISH

"tatsuya came up with an imaginary friend to play with when he's alone"

I'm not sure which possibility is more heart-wrenching:

the idea that pinkie's little brother somehow remembers his non-existent older sister

or the idea that pinkie is visiting her little brother in spirit and no one else can see her

"do you know who that is? is she some kind of anime character?"

I am seriously getting feels poisoning from all the bittersweet happiness this show is injecting into my veins

OH YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME

THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE GETS REWRITTEN FROM THE GROUND UP

AND SOMEHOW KYUBEY SURVIVES

"I must admit this witch concept sounds fascinating" OH NO YOU DON'T YOU LITTLE SHITBAG

"we didn't have to fight wraiths as we do here" wait what

"collecting curses wasn't as simple as you'd think, and our relationship with you was a little on the rocky side"

"and our relationship with you was a little on the rocky side"

"a little on the rocky side"

"even though witches aren't born into this world, that doesn't mean the curses of this world haven't completely disappeared" WHY NOT

"they just change their form is all" THEN WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT

"this world isn't worth saving; tragedy and sadness will never truly disappear" if your goal is to make me feel better about this Homura then I think you need to switch tactics

"but even so, it's the place she wanted to protect. I remember that, and I will never, ever forget it."

okay that's a bit better

"that's why I keep fighting"

wait, is that it?

is it over?

oh my god

oh my god

OH MY GOD IT'S OVER

IT'S FINALLY OVER

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'M FREE

FREE

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE–

THE END?

as i fight, she watch me. so i pray never to forget, that being meguca was suffering.

So that's PMMM's ending. The setting's still fucked. The girls are still zombies liches. They're still fighting for their lives on a daily basis. They're still getting tricked into contracting by the Incubators. Sayaka's still dead. And only Homura knows of Madoka's sacrifice. Bittersweet ending much? ...All Hail the Blessed Lady! She died for your sins!

Also, Homura and Madoka are just friends and I'll cage fight anyone who says differently. :V :V :V

There you go, Jace. Your first like while you're standing on the precipice.

There's only one way down.

"If someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every time." - Madoka Kaname

It may be a simple statement but it is a beautiful one, one of my favorite quotes in fact.
WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS SHE FUCKING NAKED

ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL SHOW

"I don't believe it!" THAT MAKES FUCKING TWO OF US

NO SERIOUSLY THIS IS ACTUALLY MAKING ME MAD GUYS

THERE IS NO FUCKING REASON

NONE

AT FUCKING ALL

I CANNOT PUT INTO WORDS HOW UNCOMFORTABLE THIS MAKES ME

MY RUSTLED JIMMIES ARE BLOTTING OUT THE SUN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTT!!

Last edited:
To be fair, Wraiths are just sort of born out of the ambient despair in the atmosphere instead of being a single girl's soul in constant, unending agony FOREVERRR.

Also, for people to contract, there has to be reasons to do so, therefore an enemy. Madoka refused to undo people's wishes. :3

Also, fun fact: In the movie adaptation MAdoka and Homura are clothed for their final goodbye.

Hey, quick question - if Madoka wished for witches to never be, then what are puella magi even fighting in the first place? <- Never watched the show myself.

Also, interesting feature - if you highlight a part of a post, there's now an option to reply or quote that specific part of the post, without going into the whole rigmarole of selectively quoting or replying to it. Nice - was it in the Xenforo update, or is it SV-specific?

as i fight, she watch me. so i pray never to forget, that being meguca was suffering.

So that's PMMM's ending. The setting's still fucked. The girls are still zombies liches. They're still fighting for their lives on a daily basis. They're still getting tricked into contracting by the Incubators. Sayaka's still dead. And only Homura knows of Madoka's sacrifice. Bittersweet ending much? ...All Hail the Blessed Lady! She died for your sins!

Also, Homura and Madoka are just friends and I'll cage fight anyone who says differently. :V :V :V

Lets go at it then, the AI YO! cannot be stopped!

Hey, quick question - if Madoka wished for witches to never be, then what are puella magi even fighting in the first place? <- Never watched the show myself.
The wraiths, I guess. Without them the girls wouldn't fight anything, so they also wouldn't need to use so much magic. Not sure how much energy controlling your corpse takes, though.

In order to maintain the wishes of the magical girls (so what they wished for still happened, and to maintain a reason for QB to offer them their wishes), she reordered it so that humanity's collective ambient despair forms demon-wraith things that act like witches, only instead of being created from the concentrated emotional energy of one girl, they are formed from the general negative emotional state of people as a whole.

Did you watch the ending?

Seriously, I feel like you didn't watch the ending. Wait for after the credits. There's one last scene.

(And yeah. Madoka not only got her wish, she got the raw power to bring it about. There is, quite literally, an afterlife for magical girls created by Madoka. And the girls get to die with dignity, at least. Madoka's world is definitely a happier one, if bittersweet.)

please don't show me her family without her

HOW THE HELL DOES HER TODDLER BROTHER REMEMBER HER

AND HOW THE FUCK CAN HE EVEN SPELL HER NAME

IN FUCKING ENGLISH

"tatsuya came up with an imaginary friend to play with when he's alone"

I'm not sure which possibility is more heart-wrenching:

the idea that pinkie's little brother somehow remembers his non-existent older sister

or the idea that pinkie is visiting her little brother in spirit and no one else can see her

Ah, well about that

• In the Audio Commentary for Episode 12, Urobuchi explained that the reason Tatsuya knows about Madoka is because he can see her. He says it's how little children can see things they're not suppose to, because they don't know they're not suppose to see it. Sadly, Urobuchi also said when he grows up, he won't be able to anymore and will likely forget all about it.

Back