Game Night
AN: just a side story I slapped together in ten minutes, inspired by some of the replies on here. Congrats, SV gets an exclusive.

I promise I'm working on the next chapter, I just don't have a lot of time right now.
Also, none of this is canon. Or all of it is, your choice.

"'Champions and Rivals,'" I say, reading the name on the cardboard box.

"It's about pokemon battling," Weaver says, receiving my flat look with a laugh.

"I can see that, yes. So, why this one?"

Gabite snorts, "Because we can play it without needing to talk, all the rules are on the cards." He raises a pointed, handless arm, "Karlos and I will be playing the same team, though."

"As will Miss Ryuko and I," Espeon says sheepishly.

"We'll give you a bit to learn the rules," The chocolate skinned Maya cuts in, starting to shuffle one of several card decks.

Looking at the art, the cards, and the board, I eventually spot the rule book, neatly tucked in the bottom of the box. Lifting it with a thought, I skim through it before closing my eyes to focus on the last few seconds. It's all there, perfect.

"Nope, I'm good."

"Okay, how?" Barry asks, staring at his now defeated team of psychics. The cards all turned on their sides.

"I think we've all been outplayed," Karlos laughs. "Also that Onaga's partners are all scary smart."

"Yeah, and?" Onaga says, smirking the same way Weaver does, "I could have told you that. I have told you that."

"It could just be luck…" Francois says, uncertainty clear in his voice.

"They drew a caterpie as a starter!" Barry cries, pointing at my 'fainted' butterfree, "Luck my sweet as–"

"Barry," Karlos says with a look, "We let you back into game night because you promised not to take it too seriously, again."

Barry huffs, takes a few deep breaths, then nods, "Right, yeah. Sorry everyone."

Weaver and I are both quietly enjoying the show, her for whatever reasons—if any—are in her head, and me because I'm hoping they don't remember that I can always tell what they're feeling.

"And that's match," Maya says from where she and Emil are finishing their side of the bracket. "Nice one, Emil."

"Our strategy triumphs!" Piplup cries, waving his flippers in glee.

"You're sure Misdreavus isn't psychic?" Barry can't seem to help asking. Uh-oh.

"At this point, yes," Onaga says, causing Barry to sigh. "The most they can do is…" She trails off, eyes narrowing as she looks at me, "…know what we're feeling."

I'm already halfway into the floor as Weaver starts cackling, and everyone I've beaten starts groaning in realization. I sink, out of sight and out of reality, before they can start complaining at me.

"They're never letting you play this again," Weaver's voice echos in the not-space. And she might be right.

Fun game, eight out of ten, great with friends. Bring an escape plan.

▲▼▲▼▲​

I can't believe we managed to find this, something straight out of my childhood. An Honest-to-whatever-god-is-relevant arcade. I start looking around, trying to spy the best games. There are cabinets with plastic guns, fighting games, screens that look suspiciously like pokemon games I'm familiar with, and one that looks a bit like Galaga.

Also, that one right there is just Donkey Kong, but with some kind of green gorilla.

Well, might as well get started.

After some breaking in of my newly revived skills, I seem to have a following. The calm, near zen like state is easy to reach and maintain while in the zone, and I've been setting high-scores on every machine.

It did take a bit to get used to using my arms for this, though.

Regardless, I have a small crowd behind me, cheering me on as I evade the digital ghastly by pixels, my path already plotted to finish the Pacman-like game's seventieth screen. Glancing at my score and considering the fact that I'm triple the next best—and that Weaver and I still have more than half our coins—I finish and let the digital ghosts hit the cute munchlax sprite.

There are a few boos and some clapping as I input MIS and chuckle at the expected names I see on the board below me before I look around for my next 'challenge.' Ooh, a fighting game, that might be interesting now. Some of the people see where I'm looking and the excitement I can taste in the air intensifies.

One person even steps up, arms crossed over his chest in an attempt to look more intimidating. It's completely spoiled by the fact he can't be older than fourteen.

"You want a challenge, ghost?" He asks, and seems proud about something. Probably that his voice didn't crack.

"Obviously," I shoot back, squaring up and gesturing to the cabinet, "You man enough?"

I think my tone does it more than anything, "You're on! First to five, I'm paying."

Wow, he really just wants a good fight, if I'm interpreting the tastes right. Good for him.

I'm going to crush him. To see them all driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

On second thought, just that first one.

Nice. That was actually better than I was thinking, and I loved the Conan quote.

Also, you take as much time as you need on the next chapter, just make sure you take care of yourself first, we'll wait.:grin2:

I just love how you write people and pokemon interacting, I've read this story like five times already and I can still enjoy going back to chapter 2 and starting to chew the scenery all over again.

Chapter 25
AN: What's this? A chapter?

Life got away from me, still is, really, but I haven't stopped writing.

Anyway, once again I must thank Ott043 for betaing. He makes the review process so much easier and definitely improves the final quality.

Enjoy.

The varied cries of indignant or overexcited joltik are fading now, thankfully. Sure, they look like little yellow fuzzballs with eyes, but they sound like a hoard of drunk chipmunks after being told it's way past bedtime.

Well, I guess it wasn't too bad as a first 'quest.'

…Oh, it's a shortening of request, that's why they use it.

"So?" Weaver prompts, nudging me as we keep pace with Onaga and Dodrio. "What did you think?"

"I think," I say, pausing to truly collect my thoughts, "That it was… something. It wasn't hard, and, as annoying as they were, I've dealt with worse. Is this how it normally is?"

"Yeah, most days," Weaver confirms, turning to face me while still skipping along, now facing backward. "Big emergencies don't happen too often, but I think you'd be fine if one happened, anyway."

"If you say so," I reply, not keeping the disbelief from my voice.

At the moment, the four– how do I count Dodrio? Uh, the six of us are now pulling away from the other ranger and his cart of spiders, slowly turning in a large circle back towards the city. Onaga seems content to let Dodrio set the pace, and none of them seem to want to go fast.

It's mostly fields and dirt roads this far south of the city, it seems, the occasional pokemon darting past us or flying overhead the only real action around us. Pushing myself just a bit further into being real, I can even appreciate the cool wind blowing past us. It's been a bit since I fully phased in.

"You good, Smokey?" Weaver's voice breaks the easy quiet.

"For the moment," I say, staring out over the various fields. "I'm trying to stay grounded right now, it's harder than it should be."

I lock onto movement in the distance, to our right. It takes me a moment to place the general shape as I watch the red tractor pull a large piece of metal through a field. Then I blink as I realize it's the first time I've seen anything with an engine that wasn't a train since arriving.

"Maybe it's because you're always flying," Weaver drops, pulling my focus back and maintaining her smirk as I turn to give her a flat look. "What? You are, so maybe you should join the rest of us down here."

"We're at the same eye level right now."

"Yeah, but I'm touching the ground."

"Only half the time," Left Dodrio points out. "Which means you're halfway to where they are, unlike us."

"Does taking a foot off the ground count as being half off the ground then?" Right Dodrio asks.

"In the interest of consistency, yes," Left says, nodding thoughtfully, "which puts us halfway to halfway there."

Middle Dodrio looks between his other heads, rolling his eyes with an amused look, "I think it more depends on the fact that we can't fly, yet."

"Oh not this again…" Right groans, Left joining him in the act. "We can't get the airstream right unless we all agree on a direction. And 'up' isn't good enough."

"It's a starting point," Middle argues, and the three of them start bickering like, well, siblings. I… guess they are siblings, aren't they?

Weaver and I watch on as the three don't quite descend into a physical slap-fight, though they obviously want to. Onaga, riding the pokemon, just shakes her head.

"Anyway," Weaver pulls me back into conversation, "Anything I can do to help?"

"Keep being you?" I say, shrugging. "You've been helping a lot, honestly. Maybe we can go grab a bite to eat at some point, too?"

Weaver gasps, "I should have realized, you're starving! Looks like you could disappear at any moment! You're practically transparent!" She takes a pose, one clawed hand over her heart and the other with its back on her head. She stays like that, still skipping backward the whole time, for several seconds.

"Yep, and you should feel bad for not noticing," I tell her, receiving a hurt noise before she starts chuckling.

"Well, I'll just have to make up for it. Do you have any real preference in food?"

"Yeah, but I don't know what all is around here that's good…" I trail off, a thought hitting me, "Can– Can we get drinks?"

"Drinks?" Weaver asks in a perfect mimicry of my tone, flicking an ear.

"You know, drinks." At the weavile's now cocked head, I elaborate further, "Alcoholic drinks. I hadn't honestly thought about how that works till now."

That makes Weaver drop her theatrics for a moment, standing still as she thinks about it too. "I don't know," She says after a long pause, starting to walk again. "I'll need to ask Ryu about that. I'd never thought of trying any, is it any good?"

I whistle at the difficulty of the question, then shrink a bit as everyone flinches, Onaga giving me a strange look. "Uh, sorry," I apologize. It's too easy to stop thinking about making sharp noises, or how I even make them. It doesn't sound too bad to me, maybe a bit high-pitched, but everyone reacts like my voice hurts.

It probably does, really, I just can't tell because it's my voice.

What were– right, "That's… a difficult question. There isn't only just alcohol, so it mostly depends on what you like, what's in it, and what it's in."

Weaver is still rubbing an ear, but she nods at my answer, "Definitely need to ask Ryu about it then, but I can buy us dinner no problem. Tonight?"

"Whenever is good," I respond, drifting down until I'm half in the ground. "…Hmm, I don't know if this is helping."

Weaver just cackles.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Dodrio still seems to be mildly arguing with himselves as we near town, and I finish noting down another thing about Misdreavus. Another addition to the sheer number of sounds they can make.

Now, from what I've seen, they seem to prefer sound as a method of attack, so it isn't all that unusual. However, if we were to compare them to other pokemon with similar adaptations, like a loudred, they typically won't accidentally deafen someone by simply whistling. Of course, that could be down to age and power. Misdreavus is only a month old, so they're likely still learning fine control. While a whismur would need to put quite a bit of effort in to hit deafening levels on their own, and has time to learn to tone it down—or up—before they get too strong, Misdreavus has all the power and none of the age.

At least they seem to be trying not to make those kinds of sounds as much. Indoors, at least.

My radio chimes, so I start putting my notepad away, stowing those thoughts for later, and making a quick mental note to bring them up to Rowan when he gets here tonight. Or tomorrow, if he wants to settle in first.

"Onaga Ryuko, responding," I say, switching the radio to active.

There's a bit of muffle and barely picked-up voices before, "A– Ah, hello, Onaga."

"Fran?" I ask, glancing at the radio, and then in the direction of the academy. "Should you be on official channels right now?"

"I'm–"

His voice is cut off by another, "He's with us at base right now, there was a decision made up top, apparently," Katie says. Over the same mic, if I'm not mistaken.

"Yes, that does sum it up," Francois says, dryly.

"With that out of the way," Katie cuts back in, "I'm off to bed. Barry or I will fill you in when you get back."

"Well, it'll be nice having you back, Fran," I tell him, acknowledging a familiar woman who's trying to flag me down with a nod and a raised hand. "Was there anything else? I think I'm about to get a quest."

"Just me being here and the changeover," He says. "I'm not a full operator yet, and I still have assignments from school, but I'm stationed here now."

That… honestly doesn't bode well, if the Union is rushing students into positions like that. "Okay, well, again, good to have you back. I'm going to see what Bertha needs now."

Having said that, I flip a switch and clip my radio back to my belt before waving down the seemingly mid-task woman, "Sorry for making you wait, Bertha. What do you need?"

Bertha is a large woman, in almost every sense of the word. Tall, broad-shouldered, stout, muscled, her character… everything. Even her family size, now that I think of it. And the farm she runs.

She's also likely the strongest person in the region, as the tauros she's carrying over one shoulder as if it weighs nothing proves, the pokemon himself looking rather more like a mareep at the moment.

"Ain't no worry," She waves off my apology. "Just bringin' this one back from a check before we let 'im at the miltank, the big baby, and saw you comin', figured I'd see if you could go get my kids for me."

"I'm going to assume they're in the forest, then?" It's not really a question, since that's the only reason she'd be asking a ranger about this.

"Mm-hmm," She confirms, "You know I'd ask Tim, but…"

We share a nod, Tim's phobia is well known. He does okay with cuter and more harmless seeming pokemon, but anything with claws or teeth makes him freeze up. The forest is not somewhere he likes being.

"It's not a problem, I don't have any other quests at the moment. Want me to bring them back, or just get them moving?"

"Ah, they don't need looked over like that," She says, hefting the tauros into a more comfortable position, the bull pokemon huffing helplessly in Bertha's titanium grip, "just send 'em on their way, they're good kids." Her eyes trail behind Dodrio and me, widening slightly, " You got a new partner following you around?" She asks, gesturing at Misdreavus.

"Two actually," I smile ruefully, "Espeon isn't exactly healthy enough to keep up all day yet."

"Mmm, I heard something about an espeon and smugglers recently, nasty business. Good to hear they went with you, you're good people."

Knowing Bertha, she won't let me get away with waving the compliment off, so I nod instead, "Thanks."

"It's the truth," She tells me before she starts walking south to her farm. "I'm not gonna keep you longer. You have a nice day, now!"

I give her a wave at her cheery call back to me, and pat Dodrio to get their attention before pointing West. Checking behind, Weaver is, as always, smirking. While Misdreavus is simply staring after Bertha with that wide-eyed look they sometimes get, looking more solid than usual and wavering slightly in the breeze.

Weaver glances at me before grabbing one of the tendrils that seem to appear and disappear from Misdreavus' mane, pulling them along behind her. That snaps the ghost out of whatever they'd been thinking. They look between Weaver and myself before seeming to accept being dragged along.

It's good that Misdreavus doesn't seem to get tired. Ever. Katie's told me that they drift around the base at night, and I haven't seen them make any kind of bed or nest, nor have I seen them sleep. I would assume they're nocturnal, except that none of us have seen them sleep and they're far too active during the day.

They seem bored at times, too. They're clearly intelligent for a month-old pokemon, if how fast they pick up on everything is any indication at least. I might need to dig out a copy of the integration aid soon, Weaver's had enough time to not need the help, but a pokemon as smart as Misdreavus needs something to do in their off time. And since they don't seem to sleep…

I take a closer look at Misdreavus, trying to find any hint of tiredness. It's not made any easier by their odd mix of body languages, some nearing the level many humanoid pokemon display while others are expressed in their tendrils, gemstones, flight pattern, and even miasmal movements.

They're currently looking mildly amused at Weaver as she drags them behind, barely moving up or down as my friend skips and hops over the slightly uneven dirt road. Then, as if sensing my interest—which they likely do—they're looking at me. Large, unblinking eyes meeting mine.

"Can you get tired?" I ask, choosing the direct approach.

They don't look away, but it's easy to see their gaze lose focus on me for a moment, and when it does it's all too obvious why some ghost stories are the way they are. Having Misdreavus look through me like that would be frightening if I didn't know they're generally passive.

After some seeming contemplation, they refocus on me and shrug, "Misser dreav."

"But you do get bored, don't you? I've noticed you getting restless recently." I say, deciding not to let a potential problem build. They shrug again as Weaver releases her grip on their tendril. That's interesting. Not willing to admit to it, or not wanting to be a burden? "We can help you find things to do, you know. Don't be afraid to ask." I'm surprised they haven't asked about lifting the curfew yet, honestly.

Misdreavus nods, looking down while still following without issue as Dodrio's been slowly picking up speed. I don't know what their max speed is, but I doubt it's as fast as a dodrio's. We won't be going full speed, however, so it should be fine.

***​

The forest is loud again, without the constant stomping of tourists making many of the small pokemon hide while the alphas' alertness scares the rest. Now? The calls of various rodent, insect, and bird pokemon ring through the air in a way many people will never experience. I even see a crow watching us, cawing occasionally.

Frankly, if people who visit would all just listen to what we tell them then things would be so much better. …That's unfair of me. I know many of them do, but nine in ten doing so still means that more than enough don't, so it remains a major issue. And many of the more responsible ones also tend to get caught up in group thinking.

Looking down at Weaver from where I'm sitting, she has her nose down and ears up, tracking Bertha's kids. And looking up, Misdreavus doesn't seem to have spotted them yet, but they're still looking down from above.

Then Misdreavus vanishes, which continues to be an interesting sight. They never simply wink out of visibility, the process seems to start somewhere inside them before spreading to everything else in the blink of an eye, but Misdreavus' eyes are always the last thing to go.

Why did they do that now? Is there something they're hiding from nearby? Or maybe they're employing their own tracking method, as, like many scavengers, they've confirmed they have the ability to track food sources. And when asked—with Weaver having to write it down—they said they track emotions.

Fairly obvious, once I thought about it for half a second.

We still need to test distance, but I've been waiting to bring that kind of thing up for when the study of Misdreavus actually starts. Frankly, I'd like to give them more time to acclimate and maybe open up a bit, but everything was already in motion.

Regardless, whatever strategy or hunting method they're using to try and scan the forest, when they eventually reappear it's from ahead and slightly to my right. As they descend I can see the end of an eye roll before they point back the way they came.

"Dreavus," They say in a tone that I can fully understand. The 'I should have thought of this sooner' tone.

Well, they're pointing us mostly the same way Weaver was moving, so we only need to speed up. Weaver herself is giving Misdreavus an approving nod as she rises back into her normal bipedal stance, bounding forward now that we apparently have a set destination.

It doesn't take much longer to find them now, and soon I'm seeing eight children goofing off by one of the many small streams.

Three of them are engaged in a 'sword' fight, poking each other with sticks. Two have a pair of binoculars pointed deeper into the forest, swapping it back and forth as they point at something distant. And the oldest three are all sitting on the bank, relaxing with their feet in the cold water.

The eldest in the group… Daniel, if I'm remembering right, spies me first, nodding as he turns a bit to face me, "Mom sent ya?"

"She did," I confirm, hopping off Dodrio's back. "Asked me to get you on your way."

"Aw, we haven't even seen…" One of the younger boys says, trailing off as his eyes look behind me, "Ooh, she's cool looking!"

Glancing at where the boy is staring, I already think I know who he's talking about. And the flash of red eyes, before they vanish, confirms it, Weaver tracking the ghost as they both move away from us.

"We can always come back tomorrow," The second eldest, Samantha, says, standing and pulling her older brother up from where he's still sitting on the bank.

"Yeah," Daniel sighs, not fighting his sister's strength. "Wish we had longer though."

The two of them get the others in line quickly enough, and all eight are soon walking back to town without complaint. Can't say I don't empathize with wanting to spend more time out here, but I happen to have a good excuse: My job.

Granted, if I get a call about something then I'll need to head back, but for the moment? Riding around sounds nice. Although, with the way Dodrio are gulping down water at the moment, and how one of them looks like he's eying something in the water with hunger, I'll let them relax for now.

I'm not surprised when a bonsly approaches, the living rocks being generally inquisitive, if skittish. And they don't seem distressed, just curious. They totter up, look between Dodrio, Weaver, and me, and then burrow into the ground.

I always loved the way they act. They walk up to something, figure out if it's safe or not, then bury themselves if it is. Or if it's not, since they're still safer that way. Rock-type camouflage at its finest.

The peaceful moment stretches out into nearly ten minutes of meditative zen, and after the activity of the last month, it's truly welcome.

Weaver and Misdreavus have started talking about something over Weaver's notepad, but I'm too far away to see.

I'm a bit startled when a berry suddenly drops in front of me. Looking up, a swellow is perching above, tilting her head to eye me from different angles. Picking the ripe persim up, I offer it back, but the dull-colored female shakes her head, "Swell oh-oh," She chirps.

"Okay, did you want something?" I ask, receiving another shake of the head. Well, gifts aren't uncommon, but it's usually after we've done something. "Thank you, then," I tell her, inspecting the berry. Persim are good for keeping focus, and the truly ripe ones taste pretty good.

Before I can bite into it, however, I'm distracted by a sloshing noise. Looking around it takes a moment to realize it's coming from…

Ah, Marshal is out with her children today, though I doubt her turning up somewhere I just so happen to be is a coincidence.

The water here isn't deep enough to hold the massive pokemon, but she doesn't care about things like that, simply creating her own surf to swim through. Dodrio swiftly back off, and I get a good look at the group sailing up the stream. Standing on his mother's back, just above Marshal's unnaturally flowing water, is Shinx. And floating in the swell next to the small mountain of a pokemon are two buizel, one clearly older than the other.

I lock eyes with the alpha, and not the one in the water, as Luxray is following them on the bank opposite us. That's a bit strange, he normally stays in his own territory.

There's a gust of wind as Swellow makes herself scarce, and I sigh, "So, how are you?" I can't fully hold in a chuckle at the sight, though.

The buizel both toss their heads noncommittally, while Marshal gives a small wave and Luxray nods with a happy flick of his ears.

"Need anything, or just passing by?"

Luxray chuckles in a deep purr, pointing a paw toward where Weaver and Misdreavus had been talking. This is about one of them, then. Why would… Oh. Oh, Misdreavus came with me right after taking those poachers down and Luxray is Luxray.

The big softie wants to say thank you.

"Well, Misdreavus, you're up," I say, turning to see the ghost frozen in place, their eyes locked on Marshal. Interesting, from what I understand the two of them had a good relationship. So why does Misdreavus look afraid of her?

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"You said they could react to things oddly," Luxray rumbles curiously at me from the stream bank, "Not that they found you frightening."

"No, that's new," I tell him. "Shinx, hop over to your father sweetie."

Once he does so, I stand out of the stream bed to get a better look at everything. Ryu is inspecting Charlie as well, looking a bit concerned as the ghost follows me with their eyes, not moving otherwise.

The last I saw them had been a bit abrupt, but fairly normal. Charlie had a psychic with them though, and that took precedence since the ghost had been concerned and confused about the psychic's reaction to me. But I haven't seen them since that, so I can't say what might have happened.

It's been a bit since I checked up on them though, harder to do since they left.

Climbing out of the stream, I let the water I was using to move along it fall back into place. The sound catches Ryuko's attention, the ranger giving me a calculating look, "I don't know if you getting closer is a good idea, Marsh."

"No, it– We need to–" The kid stutters out for a moment. They look down, gathering themself for a lengthy moment before speaking again, "It's been a little too long, and I've started to get too wrapped up in my own head again. Can we…"

They don't finish the question, but I know what they're asking, "Of course," I say, casting my gaze around, "Maybe not here, though."

Ryu has been looking between us, and she relaxes a bit once the kid starts moving the way they normally do again, "Uh-huh. Could I get a hint about what's going on?"

It's Weaver who speaks up, quickly doing something with… ah writing something for Ryu, "Here."

Ryuko inspects it while I turn back to Luxray and our children, "Sorry, but I don't think they'd appreciate an audience."

"I still need to thank them!" Shinx yelps, looking at me and then his father.

"We both do," Luxray says in a soothing tone, "We'll get our chance. Your mother just needs to speak with them for a bit," He consoles. Though he also throws me a questioning look. I give him a pointed one back, which he accepts with a small nod.

"You two need to talk?" Ryu asks, stepping next to me. Honestly, when will she learn to listen to us right? I know humans can. But I still nod at her, rolling my eyes when she asks, "For how long?"

"Long enough that you'll probably need to leave anyway," I say, shooing her with one hand, "Don't worry, I think I know why you're asking and they'll be back with you soon."

Ryu raises her eyebrows at me before rubbing her face with one hand. She walks over to where the poor dodrio are still trying to decide if they should run or not, and hops onto their back, "Okay, you've more than earned the benefit of the doubt. But," She turns to look at Charlie, deliberates for a moment, then shakes her head, "No, never mind. Just… Please head back to base when you're done, and let whoever's on radio know you're back. Okay?" Well, that's confirmation that Charlie's with the Rangers now.

The kid nods, looking less nervous, and Ryu nods back before patting Dodrio on the side. Dodrio certainly don't waste any time in bolting away, though, and the weavile cackles as she chases them.

Luxray huffs, "I was hoping she'd at least pet me for a bit." That makes me smile slightly, he's always liked the Rangers and their lack of fear. And lack of stupidity, that generally helps.

"So… who are they?" Buizel asks pointing her eyes at Charlie. That makes me laugh, it's been months since I've seen her, and we've barely started catching up. I haven't gotten to explaining the kid yet.

"A good spook," I tell her, beckoning Charlie closer. "You can ask your brother about them while I'm gone. I'll give you more of the story after."

Buizel quickly starts questioning her brother, who starts pleading for me to help him with his eyes. I watch for a second before reminding myself that the spook is still waiting.

"Come on," I say to the ghost, dropping back into the shallow water and pulling more in to move with, "I can tell you got things rattling around in there." They simply nod, following after me as I swim downstream.

Once we hit a river, they finally speak, "So…" They lead.

"Are you okay?" I ask, rolling onto my back in the now comfortably deep water. "I didn't think you'd just vanish and I've been half-thinking you were avoiding me." Oh, they flinched at that, "You were avoiding this?"

"…Yeah," they admit, staring into the river. "But I realized how much you checking on me helped. And that I might have been thinking about things the wrong way. But," They look up, actually locking eyes with me for once, "I've been doing pretty well otherwise, better than I was at my– the cabin," They sigh.

"Being around other humans?"

They groan, resigned, "I knew one of us was going to bring it up." They slowly fall until they're almost in the water before speaking again, "Maybe. Probably, really. I don't think I count anymore, and that's part of my problem. When did you figure it out?"

"You're weren't exactly being subtle about it," I can't help chuckling. "Lots of little things, how you reacted to protecting yourself was what finally convinced me."

"You mean how I panicked? I gave it a lot of thought afterward, and I can't help thinking about it sometimes–" They stop, freezing for an instant too long before resuming, "You were right, of course. I still don't know how to feel about what I did to them, and I don't like that."

Hmm… "Human misgivings?" I ask, turning over to get a better look at the odd ghost.

I can practically see the question turning over in their head before they answer, "Probably, I think I had some… preconceptions when I woke up here. Most of them didn't last long, but a few did. I guess you already figured that out, though."

"You aren't exactly complicated, Charlie," I tell them, smiling, "I don't know what it must be like to be you, but I think you're doing alright at it."

They nod slowly, "I think I am too, honestly. Much, much better than I was before I died." Their face twists for a moment, a grimace spreading over it before smoothing into that blank look they get when thinking.

"You good, kid?"

They're still and quiet for a few moments before responding, "Yeah, I'm fine." It's believable too, they aren't twitching or shifty-eyed, only looking a bit distant. "Just… considering."

"Makes sense why you spend so long thinking like that, now," I nod. I had to do a lot of that myself when I evolved, more than most even. I'd think going from human to ghost is worse though.

We fall silent, the air charged but not heavy. I have questions that I'm hoping they might answer now, things I think they need to talk about, and I can tell they still have things to say to me. I let them take their thoughts at whatever speed they need to. We have time.

I wonder, if the kid was human, how many of the other spooks were? Some of the ones I've had to chase off had been acting strange, and none of them handling that change as well as the kid has could explain some of it.

Well, can't change the past, only keep it in mind.

After a few minutes of swimming they eventually speak up, "So, you killed those two."

A statement, the tone implying they don't know what to think about it. Makes me wonder what their life was like, as a human. I've seen good and bad people, humans and pokemon, but most humans recently seem to have an aversion to killing anything, not like when I was young…

The look on the kid's face tells me they got a hint of that. "Sorry, old memories," I say, sliding onto the sandy bank here and standing up, "Did you want to talk about that?"

"Not really," they answer, bringing themself up to my eye level again. "I just– When I heard– When I saw what you did to them a lot of things I'd been told about you… shifted? I guess."

I consider that. I'm well aware of how some of the younger ones think of me. What their elders tell them in warning. And of how the different humans do so as well. "I keep the peace," I tell Charlie, "It's what I've done most of my life now, it got easier when the rangers appeared, but sometimes they fail." I look directly at the ghost, "You won't tell me you don't understand."

They look away from me, "I… do, I just don't like that feeling, you know? When I realized what those two were doing, I froze. I wanted to get away, to get you, but I knew what everyone they'd captured was feeling. And what could have happened to them–" They pause. The kid's voices had become a bit discordant there. "It wasn't just anger– I mean, that was part of it, but I was so focused on stopping them that I didn't realize I'd already won, and I hate feeling that way. Like I'm not in control of myself."

Now that sounds familiar. "I get it," I tell them, settling my behind into the soft, warm sand. "And I'd imagine you know that not liking it doesn't change anything."

"I know," They sigh. "All of this was easy when I was human, give it a day and it was just a distant memory." They chuckle ruefully, "Might be why I'm having trouble now. I always put off dealing with stuff like this. Now it's all… there. Like it just happened. And when I think about it, it's like it's still happening." They fall still for an instant again, "It's not great."

"Never had to deal with something like this before?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"I've never had it hang around so long," They reply.

"You're young," I say, remembering that first talk I had with them, "Haven't learned some things the painful way yet."

"I guess not."

Another moment of stillness passes, less charged than the last.

"Wait a second," Charlie breaks the silence, "Why were you swimming up that stream?" They ask.

I want to chuckle at that, but a snort comes out instead, "Luxray wanted to thank you for being there when we weren't. Shinx was getting excited about it, too."

"But… how did you know where we were?"

That I do chuckle at, "How much have you talked with the tailow? Need to know where something is? Ask one of them. They let me know you were there."

"You had them watching for me?"

"Of course I did," I say, giving the kid a look, "I had Sunshine and Rainbow wanting to thank you, and we hadn't talked since you were looking one bad word away from curling into a ball and disappearing!"

They blink, "Oh." Then mutter near soundlessly, "Sunshine and Rainbow?"

I can tell we're reaching the same question I always ask near the end of our talks, they've run out of things they want to say, and I can tell they're doing alright. Getting things out of their head is always good for them, good for anybody, really, and I'm glad they seem to know that, but there's still the one thing they haven't–

"So, you want to know about… how I died." Once again, not a question. And they beat me to it.

"I can tell it's eating at you, and you've pointed out more than once how you can't forget anything," I say gently.

"Honestly," They give a hollow laugh, "I've wanted to talk about it for a while now, I just didn't know how to avoid the human thing." They fall, settling onto the ground, "It makes me glad I can't sleep, you know. I'm certain I'd be having nightmares about it. And I… I don't know what to do! I don't want it hanging over me forever, but it's starting to feel like it might."

They slump, deflating into a heap. "Well, that's why I've been asking about it, maybe if you'd talk to someone, it doesn't have to be me," I stress, "And not keep it all in that head of yours, you might start feeling better about it."

"I need a drink," They groan, rising back into the air a bit. They must catch my glance at the river, because they give a halfhearted laugh, "Not– Never mind. You're right, I know you're right." They seem to center themself, and I wait the few seconds it takes for them to continue, "So, I suppose I should start with how I died."

AN: I feel like my general mood recently slipped into this chapter at points. Not enough time for anything, and what I can scrape together generally needing to go to more important things.

With this out of the way, however, I can get to writing lighter things again.

Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:
The big scary alpha luxury is like dealing with a lion at the zoo.

Can't wait for the actual studying the ghost thing to get started! ^-^

Flummoxed Charlie is always neat. I also thought that the Marshall creating her own swimming path was cool. Glad to see them laying the cards out with each other finally.

They slump, deflating into a heap. "Well, that's why I've been asking about it, maybe if you'd talk to someone, it doesn't have to be me," I stress, "And not keep it all in that head of yours, you might start feeling better about it."
While I like the chapter, something you might want to consider if Charlie's (and other characters') psychological state is going to continue being a consistent theme in this story; effective therapy doesn't actually happen until there's a change in behavior. Could be something as tiny as standing silent on guard instead of screaming and running when confronted with a phobia, could be something as drastic as going full-in on learning to fight, then learning how to fight non-lethally. But there is no complete therapy without that change in behavior, and talking is not only just the first step, it's an unproductive and potentially toxic step if it's not followed by training and discipline to achieve better behavior.

To use just one of many examples, it's the reason why Gandalf's first words to Theoden after the exorcism is to breath the free air again, and his second words are to take up his sword. That was Tolkien applying some of his experiences with shell shock and trauma to writing, and (very mildly) updated in the movies.

Your pacing is decent so far, so I don't currently have any issues with it, but something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
The big scary alpha luxury is like dealing with a lion at the zoo.

Can't wait for the actual studying the ghost thing to get started! ^-^
He's a very fluffy monster who just wants positive attention.

How's that stack up with a ghost thats also cute? :p
Depends, is the ghost going full dark cloud of doom?

Flummoxed Charlie is always neat. I also thought that the Marshall creating her own swimming path was cool. Glad to see them laying the cards out with each other finally.
It needed to happen, and like I had Marshal comment on, Charlie isn't really being subtle about it.
Marshal making her own river was something I thought would be neat. A bit of 'This sign can't stop me' energy.

While I like the chapter, something you might want to consider if Charlie's (and other characters') psychological state is going to continue being a consistent theme in this story; effective therapy doesn't actually happen until there's a change in behavior. Could be something as tiny as standing silent on guard instead of screaming and running when confronted with a phobia, could be something as drastic as going full-in on learning to fight, then learning how to fight non-lethally. But there is no complete therapy without that change in behavior, and talking is not only just the first step, it's an unproductive and potentially toxic step if it's not followed by training and discipline to achieve better behavior.

To use just one of many examples, it's the reason why Gandalf's first words to Theoden after the exorcism is to breath the free air again, and his second words are to take up his sword. That was Tolkien applying some of his experiences with shell shock and trauma to writing, and (very mildly) updated in the movies.

Your pacing is decent so far, so I don't currently have any issues with it, but something to keep in mind.
That, I understand. To respond/defend myself/explain: Charlie has been learning new habits, even if they aren't ingrained yet, as well as the fact that Marshal has been teaching him to defend himself. And she's not even a therapist.

I'm not going to pretend I've done a perfect job of writing it, but I at least think I've put the pieces in place. I'm well aware that psychological health can be a touchy subject, though, so it's nice to see someone trying to make sure it's done right.

Mimikyu perhaps. Very kawaii, just don't loom under the skirt.
To be fair, a lot of ghost-type pokemon designs don't even play up looking scary, just edgy, and most of the rest are all at worst not quite cute. Only a few really try to be visually scary, though the dex lore for most ghosts can be frightening in a campfire story way.

To be fair, a lot of ghost-type pokemon designs don't even play up looking scary, just edgy, and most of the rest are all at worst not quite cute. Only a few really try to be visually scary, though the dex lore for most ghosts can be frightening in a campfire story way.
But we know that without a silphscope to see through them they can all look scary if they want!

Which ones, visually none of them really hit any sort of real creep factor, beyond looking somewhat cute-ugly I guess.
Trevenent, dusknoir, genger and its mega and gigantamax, arguably cofagrigus, runerigus, and spritomb. Though a few of those still come closer to edgy than anything.

Really, I think it's a limitation of pokemon needing to be child-friendly, so edge is the closest they can get. Not that I'm going to complain all that hard about ghosts being cute when it means that the scary bits can be a surprise.

Chapter 26
AN: I'm not trying to take so long, I swear.

Thanks to Ott043 for betaing, although he said this one was pretty clean.

Enjoy.

It wasn't a long explanation, though it felt that way with how Marshal was—and still is— looking at me. She has an expression that I'd call confusion if I couldn't taste the fact that she's mostly thoughtful. I'd even be tempted to call the head tilt cute if I was feeling up to it right now.

You know what? Yeah, it's cute. And that's actually making me feel a bit better.

I don't know if fully reliving my death so I could describe it helped me deal with it, though. It's not the same as a memory from my new probably-life, but it didn't have any time to break down. And what came after was… far too pleasant and a bit horrifying when I think back on it.

So, so peaceful–

I shudder. It was almost impossible to think at all, and it would have been so easy to simply let go. But I didn't and now I'm here.

Marshal chirps, an odd noise to hear from someone so big, and I look up from my thoughts. She's looking down, concern rolling off her, "I don't know what I was expecting…" She admits. "Maybe that your partner had been one o' us? And maybe that you did somethin' to deserve it? But you never seemed the type, and it wasn't either of those."

"I hadn't known if I'd see her again," I say, suppressing a sigh. "And if I ever did, not like that…"

"Mmm," Marshal hums, her yellow floaty-band-thing swelling up. Then she winces, and I taste something like pain, but not quite. "Can't imagine what that would be like," She says. Although I think she just did. "I've been in my share of fights, don't think I've ever been hurt that badly though. Then again…" She turns her eyes up to me, "I don't think you can be hurt like that now." She scratches the side of her neck, "Maybe you're made o' stronger stuff, or maybe you're hiding it well, but… The way you been acting, you're not worried you might get hurt again?"

"It's a bit hard to stab a ghost," I quip.

"Not what I mean," Marshal backs the words up with a full mom glare, "Inside, emotionally," She enunciates. "You're not shyin' away from people."

"You didn't give me the chance," I quietly reply. "I hadn't tried all that hard to talk to anyone before you interrupted my…" Slow starvation, anger, depressive spiral, self-destruction. "And I'd felt so much better afterward that I did go find people to just… be around."

That makes her very happy, "All ya needed was a little help. So, You okay otherwise? Nothing else ya need help carrying?"

"I don't know if I'm 'okay otherwise,'" I say, prompting a look from the giant pokemon. "I mean, I keep going in circles, I'll feel better for a while, and then…"

"Ya let your guard down?" She asks. "And it all falls on ya again?"

"Not even that," I tell her, shaking my head, "It creeps up on me. It's not a surprise, I just… Whenever it does, I wish I could move on, stop worrying about it."

"It doesn't work that way," Marshal points out, and I grudgingly nod.

"I know, I suppose that's why it's wishful thinking."

"You got anything ta do? Something to take your mind off of things?"

"I… guess?" I say, not hiding my uncertainty.

"Well," She says, leaning closer, "You have plenty o' time. So, let's give ya something good ta think about, then maybe something to do. Clear your head a bit."

***​

Talking with Marshal always helps, and this most recent time wasn't different.

Okay, it was, but mostly because I got a lot more off my chest than the usual complaints and advice gathering. It helps that I can tell she understands, and even when she doesn't she does her best to be supportive.

And being thanked, profusely, by a giant lion and a tiny kitten? I… I guess that helped.

Marshal's training was different this time, too. Before, she felt like she was expecting basic competency. Now? I think I got baby's first intro to pokemon powers. I'd figured some of it out on my own, but Marshal made sure I now know a few things that seem obvious in hindsight.

Like the fact that I can, in fact, hurt myself by overusing them—though you can apparently tell before you go that far. Also, after having me try some weird, twisty psychic things, she said "You're gonna be one of the tricky ones, ain't ya." I suspect it's a species thing, though.

Then I'd looked up at the sun and realized how long it had been.

I would have liked to wander around a bit longer, catch up with some of the groves, possibly chat with Leaf, but I need to make it back to the Rangers. Not that it's hard, I'm… four-hundred feet up? And don't have to deal with the wind at all.

I love flying, although I don't know if what I do counts since there's no real difference between what I normally do and this, just the height. Maybe I should try flying upside down? No, it sounds interesting but I still feel…

Well, I feel. I definitely feel after that talk with Marshal. I guess it counts as a long talk since we kept going even after she started trying to teach me again. Relieved? Yeah, there's some of that. Happy? Eh, maybe. Drained? Definitely. And more if I wanted to self-analyze right now.

I think I'd rather get back to my new job and hope the boss-lady is understanding, though.

And on that thought, phase in and GRAVITY!

…Damn, it takes a while for me to fall, doesn't it? Maybe I should phase out a bit? No, there's no gravity at all while phased out. Hmm, I could just fly down, not like it's much more effort than falling. But it feels different, falling, no thought or input required.

It's certainly a lot slower, though.

I think I could do with slower right now. I'd stopped following Marshal's advice to simply take the time for things, and that didn't help, all it did was make time sort of… blur. So what if it might take a little longer to get back? I can see so much right now, the world spread out beneath me.

Amazing, how the city looks from up here. And the forest, a sea of green all the way to the actual ocean, with a few small islands and amazingly white beaches scattered along the coast. I can easily see a city on the southern coast, too, about a third the size of Vientow. And that's not counting all the farms around here.

The sky is—as seems to be normal here—still a beautiful, cloudless blue as I drift down, birds flying through the empty air… Hmm, are there no airports here? Would you even need airports when riding flying pokemon is a thing?

I still haven't explored all that much of my new home, have I?

…And I'm off track. How much farther? Eh, I'll land when I land, I should be taking this time to just exist.

I'm definitely in a better mood by the time I fall through the ceiling of the ranger base. Marshal's moderately mundane meditation proving its value again. Hmm, I should– Slap myself because I can literally keep things in mind instead of just thinking it.

It's the same way I can remember everything about how I control my powers without needing to take the time to look back through everything else. I even had to do it already for my ghost…

Oh god, do I need to consciously sort all the new things? Mmm, I'll get to that later. By which I mean I will get to it later.

Still don't know why or how I can do this, but it's not like I ever knew much about brains, let alone how I work now. Anyway, both of them are 'stuck' so I won't even need to think about it.

As much, at least.

Next, let's go tell Barry I'm back and hopefully not get a talking-to from the boss lady for skipping out on most of my very first day. …Oops. Well, I'm in the storage room, so I float through the wall to the operator room.

"…You're not Barry," I say to the brown-haired young man.

He jumps in his seat, scrambling to turn around, a hand held to his chest. After staring at me for several seconds, he calms down. A shame, really. "R– Right, Onaga said you'd probably check in," He says a little shakily, "Let me just… I'll let her know you're here."

Watching him use the radio equipment is different than Katie, he clearly knows how, but there's a level of hesitation to it. He's very obviously new, though, so I shouldn't judge.

The numbers on the small, dot-segment LCDs switch a few times before the new operator starts talking. Do I care enough to listen? Not like I've got much else to do. "…Lumio, contacting ranger Onaga with an update on a partner's status," He sounds like he's reading from a manual, "Misdreavus has made contact and is currently at rest on location–" He stops suddenly, blushing slightly. "Right, sorry, ma'am. Um, your partner is back."

There's a quiet moment as the man keeps listening to whatever is being said before he inspects me, "It doesn't look like it?" He then flushes slightly again, "Sorry, yes ma'am." He flips what I recognize as the mute switch, "Are you… okay? And–" He stops, holding a hand up to his headset, "Did your… meeting go well?" He asks me.

Well, it has been pretty clear that Marshal does have a reputation. "Yes," I nod.

'Lumio' shivers a bit before going back to the big-ass radio equipment, "They say they're fine…" And I tune him out. What do they think I wanted to talk to Marshal about? Or, looking back on it, what Marshal wanted to talk to me about?

Fuck, I wish I could figure illusions out. Only being able to hold a conversation with other pokemon feels… restrictive. Doubly so when I can understand what everyone else is saying. It's not even as if it would be a revelation to anybody here, they know we can communicate.

Of course, I could do what Weaver's been starting to, good old pen and paper. Except that, for as good as I'd like to think I am at telekinesis, I don't quite have the dexterity yet. And using my arms is a no-go since they're basically noodles that only work for wrapping around things.

Oh, am I being scary again? I re-focus the obvious source of the—admittedly slight—fear in the room and, yeah, he's looking back a bit wide-eyed. Holding in a sigh, I rein in my arms and do my best to control my expression. It seems to work, but I think it's time I found somewhere else to be.

Like finding Espeon since I can't feel or taste him at the moment.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"And, Um… They just vanished," Fran lamely reports. I'll need to talk to misdreavus myself anyway, but I would have liked a few more answers first.

"Did they look like they were suddenly underwater before that?" I ask, already expecting a confirmation.

"Y– Yes," Fran confirms. "Their mane sort of… unfurled before they–"

"Went dead still, yeah," I finish. "I'd imagine while looking straight at you as well. I'm fairly certain that means they're relaxed, at least. Leave them be for now, I can't imagine Marshal wanting a private talk being fun, and there will likely be some issues when I get back."

"Understood, ma'am. Ending transmission, " He says, and the connection goes dead. Oh well, he'll loosen up soon enough.

I've thought the same about Misdreavus too, honestly. Although, the ghost does tend to relax when it's just other pokemon around them. Understandable, really.

Resolving to make sure I talk to Misdreavus before the professor does, I go back to waiting at the rail platform. Checking my watch, Rowan and his aide should be here in another five minutes, give or take.

I'd prefer if someone else were meeting them here, but Karlos made the point that it's my partner they're here to study and I'll need to deal with them anyway.

Some people have been giving me curious looks, of course, but nobody's approached me about anything. …Probably because I look impatient.

If I'm being perfectly honest with myself, I'm glad Rowan didn't just send a trainer or assistant. The man studies pokemon development and evolution, so I'm almost certain he won't act like most other foreigners and at least somewhat respect the pokemon.

At least the wait isn't too much longer, and the rumble of the train soon gives way to the train itself, the steel behemoth slowly rolling to a stop. I start scanning the disembarking crowd as they all begin stepping onto the platform.

I know who I'm looking for, obviously. Even if I hadn't been given a photo to identify him, I've seen him in the news on occasion, and on the backs of several books. It doesn't take me long to spot the black-haired man and his impressive mustache making their way down the concrete path to the main road.

He looks a bit older than the pictures I've seen, in his late thirties to early forties instead of early thirties, wearing an unmistakably permanent glare, brown suit jacket, and slacks. The rather classy rolling case he's pulling along makes it look like he's here for a business meeting, not study.

There's also a younger Kantonian man following him, brown-haired, wearing a brown vest over a white button-up, also with slacks, dragging a much larger bag. Maybe it's just the fashion in Sinnoh right now.

Regardless, I put myself on an intercept course with them, Weaver—as always—trailing behind. They soon spot me as well, changing directions to meet me halfway.

"You're here to escort us?" Rowan asks, tone as abrupt as a brick wall.

"For a certain definition of escort, yes," I inform him, deciding to at least try politeness first. "Onaga Ryuko," I say, holding out my hand.

To his credit, he seems to understand his faux pas immediately. Shaking my hand, he responds, "Apologies, I'm simply eager to get started. Professor Reynir Rowan." He then gestures to the second man, "And, while he goes by a different name professionally, this is my current assistant and student, Doctor Ohkido Yukinari."

"A different name?" I ask, holding out my hand for Ohkido.

"I've been making my way around the world to study," He admits, rubbing the back of his head with one hand while shaking mine with the other. "And, well, no one outside of Indigo uses Kantonian, so it made things easier. Professionally, most people know me as Samuel Oak, now."

Oak… Why does that ring a bell? "I understand," I tell him in our native language. "Although, I've lived here long enough that I'm not certain I could operate a keyboard in Kantonian."

Rowan clearing his throat pulls our attention back to him, "I believe we should turn our attention to why we are here, yes?"

I don't think he's trying to rush, necessarily, more that abrupt and focused may just be his general demeanor. "Well, we'll have plenty of time for me to share my notes on the way back," I tell the two men, nodding as I about-face to start leading them to the purposefully nearby tram track. It won't be more than a few minutes before the next one rolls by. "I've got quite a few, so narrowing it down would help."

Rowan must notice where I'm headed, as he speaks up, "I think I'd prefer to walk, after so long on the train." Glancing back at the two men, I see Ohkido nodding slightly as well.

Fair enough. "This way, then," I change course. "Just to make sure, but do you already have accommodations worked out?"

"We do. And as for the narrowing of notes," Rowan moves the conversation back, "Feeding behavior. We know what, if only from surviving historical accounts, but 'observation' has only been conducted by the less… scientifically inclined, in the modern age."

"Honestly?" I say, pulling my notepad out, "They're nothing like the anecdotal accounts, especially the obvious exaggerations. Misdreavus appears almost like a filter feeder. There's no noticeable change in their surroundings, but both they and an espeon confirm that they're eating the ambient emotions."

"They?" Oak asks, "I thought there was only one?"

"Yes…" I speak slowly, "And they appear to fall squarely in the 'amorphous' sexual grouping," I continue, flipping to the appropriate page. "I haven't asked, as they… well, I understand why people could call ghosts unstable, now."

"That's certainly interesting," Rowan comments as we move fully into street traffic, "But to return to my original topic, we know for a fact that ghosts can predate on others. You haven't observed such behavior?"

"No," I shake my head, "Although I'd imagine they'd still take to predation as a last resort."

"Hmm, and accounts of ghost attacks traditionally occur in places where there is little or irregular human or pokemon habitation," Rowan muses. "Certainly a hypothesis worth investigating." He pauses, and, if the length means anything, likely makes a note somewhere. "You said 'ambient,' is there some way you've measured how much they consume?"

I equivocate with a hand, "Second-hand observation, potentially. I mentioned an espeon? When Misdreavus is near him I can… I suppose 'feel' a little of what's going on. Effectively, they seem to consume everything they can."

This time it's Ohkido who asks a question, "You've bonded with an espeon? Could you describe the synesthesia at some point? It's been difficult to find people willing to do so."

…That's where I recognized his name from. "I could," I say, glancing back at the man, "Though, you're already studying one of my partners and Espeon won't be put through anything stressful."

Ohkido nods, appearing to understand the steel in my voice on that topic, and Rowan picks the thread back up again, "Would you describe misdreavus as a territorial species?"

That question makes sense, with how accounts of ghosts generally are. "Possibly," I answer, considering it. "They certainly defended their residence in the forest. However… Hmm." Were they territorial simply because they had a territory? "They're rather reserved, overall, and had no issues with me sheltering in their home for an hour." They also knew how to make a fire without simply conjuring flames.

Actually, "They're frighteningly intelligent," I tell the two researchers. "Currently only thirty-two days old and they're already approaching literacy standards for the rangers, and I'm certain they'll be setting the record for youngest pokemon to do so."

That prompts a silent moment as the men absorb the information. "…Do you have any more examples to share?" Rowan asks.

"They knew how to create fire from friction at less than two weeks old," I add. "And only ever seem to need one example of many actions before being able to replicate them."

"Fascinating," This time I do hear a pen quickly moving on paper. "There are examples of certain pokemon creating fire to cook with, though I can think of only four cases that did so without the use of abilities. Of course, it does beg the question of how a newborn would have learned the skill…" Do I tell them that misdreavus was being looked after by a water-type who is definitely one of those 'examples'? I'm certain the line of sharing too much about Misdreavus will be passed at some point, and likely already has been, but it's better to do it with the ghost-type present to correct anything. "Hmm… do you know what their typings are?"

"Beyond ghost? I considered that they might be psychic for a bit, but they don't communicate like one. Honestly," I say, stopping as a tram crosses the road in front of us, "Even ghost is an assumption since there isn't a lot of hard information on the type."

"The hope is that this study can fill in some of those gaps," Ohkido says, brightly.

I'm about to respond when a tap on my hip moves my attention down to Weaver, my partner holding her new notepad up to me. The words scrawled in her much improved but still crabbed script read 'Spirit never forget.'

"Do you mean Misdreavus?" I ask, receiving a nod in turn.

"Hmm? What about the misdreavus?" Rowan asks, pulling me back from the startling amount of sense Misdreavus having a photographic memory makes of their behavior.

They've never needed anything repeated to them, they haven't needed to re-watch any of the tapes, they seem to ignore repeated information… How they keep freezing at seemingly random times.

"…Weaver just told me something I'll need to ask them about," I defer, wanting the chance to do exactly that before saying anything about it.

"I see," Rowan lets his skepticism drip heavily from his tone, but I ignore it. When I don't expand on my answer further, he continues, "Perhaps it's prudent to ask before we meet them, how do they react to being touched?"

Setting my thoughts on possible warning signs aside, I wince slightly at the question, "Not well. They let Weaver and espeon get relatively close, and even let Weaver touch them without much issue, but they have a large personal space otherwise."

"They've become defensive?" Ohkido asks, genuinely interested.

"Eh…" I begin, glancing at Weaver, "It's mostly that it's obvious from the way they act. If you get too close they move to put distance between themself and you. And I might as well say it now since you'll probably ask, yes, I have given them as much of a physical as I could."

"As you could?" Rowan seems to lock on to words there.

That makes me smirk. Let's see how they react to the results of that little fiasco, "Keep in mind, a lot of this is subject to change as they've grown larger since. But, their height was measured from the top of their head to frill tips at fifty-two centimeters. Weight was inconsistent and measured between nothing and three hundred grams. Temperature was the same as ambient, with no deviation. No pulse was evident when I checked, so average heart rate is currently noted at zero." I glance back to see both men staring owlishly at me, "No visible sexual characteristics, as I've already said. I considered checking their internal pressure since they seem to be amorphous, but we don't have the equipment for that. Also, while we didn't want to deafen anybody, some back-of-the-napkin math put their known sound output at around one hundred sixty decibels. And maximum limb extension was measured at sixty-one centimeters for all seven limbs, with an unlimited range of motion."

"Seven limbs?" Ohkido prompts, having recovered his voice. "Are they septagonally symmetrical in some way?"

"Nope," I grin, "They can simply have up to seven limbs at a time."

"Including sound output implies a specialization," Rowan adds, once more stroking his mustache. "It is nice to have such statistics already, even if we will likely measure them again." He thinks about that for a moment, "Or perhaps ask you to take new measurements."

"I haven't even finished," I say, catching the scientists' attention again. "I mentioned their weight fluctuating. It did so as they became less visible, decreasing until they simply passed through the scale. I also attempted to measure their miasma range, though I had to give up and estimate it to somewhere around a forty-meter radius, and completely unimpeded by obstacles."

Both men blink at me.

"I have been around them for two weeks," I answer the unspoken question. "And I'd be a terrible ranger if I didn't try to learn more about my partners." Not that Misdreavus has made it easy, as withdrawn as they can be. Frankly, Misdreavus isn't the most social pokemon I've ever known, which is a stark contrast to how I've seen them act with Weaver, and how Maya described them interacting with 'her precious Leafy.'

Ohkido gives Rowan a look, the older man keeping his glare fully on me, before glancing at the notes I'm still holding, "I suppose that is sensible," The younger man allows. "Any other interesting observations?"

"Something that I only put together today is that they're cathemeral, from what I and the rest of the staff at base have noticed," I inform the two men. "Not simply with an irregular sleep cycle, either, as they don't appear to sleep at all. Similar to many grass, rock, or steel-types."

"I think," Rowan begins, "We should have brought out the recorder."

I can't help a laugh at that, "It's all basic observation and some of my thoughts, so take that for what it is. I haven't heavily questioned Misdreavus since they're… not skittish, but you'll see."

"Hmm," is all the commentary Rowan has on that, and the men begin quietly talking between themselves. I don't pay that much attention and only catch a few words that make me think they're coming up with questions for Misdreavus and potential hypotheses for how the ghost-type operates.

We're most of the way there when Ohkido speaks up, "Oh, that's an excellent point. Miss Onaga?" I briefly glance back in acknowledgment. "You said there were no other individuals, but were there signs of any? Possibly a breeding pair or a parthenogenetic parent? Perhaps a fissile sibling?"

Well, there was a parent present, but that's not what he's asking about. "None, not that we looked for any," I admit. "We're not even sure where they were born, but I think I have a decent Idea."

"Oh?" Rowan this time.

"We ask Misdreavus," I say, letting a smirk cross my face as I glance back at them again to see Ohkido flushing slightly while Rowan is still glaring. A snicker from the sidelines tells me that at least one person appreciated it, though.

It's only a few more minutes before we're rounding the last building at the edge of the city. Though I need to squint to see the roof of the ranger base, I can still see both Espeon and Misdreavus in their now usual spots. One sprawled out to get as much sun as possible, and the other floating right next to them. I'm not sure I can put into words just how helpful they've been with Espeon, but it's obvious whenever I get back.

While it's hard to see at this distance, Misdreavus' large eyes have probably spotted us. And, unexpectedly, they don't vanish. That seems like a good sign, at least.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Well, there they are. I was sort of expecting to be able to recognize one of them since Rowan is a character I remember, but no. Instead, I see Onaga leading two men down the dirt road. One that I'm sure has to be Rowan, given his general air, while the other is somewhat similar to Onaga in that he looks Japanese, Even more than Onaga, in fact.

And Espeon is going to notice Onaga… now.

Right on cue, the cat raises his head from where he wasn't napping, locking onto Onaga. He's been doing better these last few days, but both Onaga and I leaving for most of the day left him with only Piplup for support.

And Piplup is… not a very empathetic person. Driven, certainly, but not good at relating to others. I'd needed to track Espeon down. Not that it was hard, he only ranges so far from the building and puts out a lot of emotion.

It's been interesting to have a feeling of responsibility, though. Also terrifying, but I'm fairly sure that's normal. Anyone who doesn't feel dread at the thought of letting a dependent down shouldn't have anyone depend on them.

…Something is very focused on me. Looking down, I see four sets of eyes watching me from much closer than a moment ago. And Espeon is completely ignoring me in favor of Onaga. Right, the dreaded research. I think I'm more relieved that it's finally happening than anything.

Sinking through the roof, the insulation layer, the air cycling space, and the drop ceiling, I enter the lobby, leveling off at eye height with the humans. I can easily taste the intrigue and excitement pouring off the two men as the whole group enters the building, two gazes glancing at the spot in the ceiling I just moved through before returning to me.

"Interesting," The older man says in a detached tone. He's not fooling me at all, he's outright giddy. "And the coloration does indeed seem to be meant to attract attention–"

Onaga cuts him off with a raised hand, "I understand you want to get started immediately, but I need to have a word with misdreavus first."

Ah, I was kind of expecting this. Vanishing not even halfway through a day wasn't my best move. Onaga only moves us to the other side of the interior door before starting, "Just to confirm, Weaver said you have a photographic memory?"

…Huh? I look at the weasel-cat in question, who answers the unspoken query, "She told the other humans you were really smart, I thought it was relevant."

"Okay…" I trail off, thinking about that. "And, yes, but no?" I tell Onaga after a moment, nodding, then shaking my head.

The woman watches me for a few seconds before starting to slowly nod as well, "So, it's more complicated than that, but it's true enough?" I nod at the summary, and she thinks for a moment again. "That might be useful… Is that why you keep freezing?"

I wince. Not that I'd thought she hadn't noticed it, but still. "Sometimes," I say doing my best to equivocate.

She nods again, both relieved and uneasy about that answer. "And the other thing. You and Marshal, why did she want to talk to you?"

I glance at Weaver to see her ready to write stuff down. It's scary how in sync they are sometimes. "She wanted to make sure I was okay?" Goddammit, that wasn't meant to be a question. "And… I wanted to make sure I was okay too."

It takes Weaver several seconds to write a few words down, but she shows Onaga the page once she's done. I didn't get a long look at it, but that doesn't matter. It said, 'Made sure they're okay,' in a very rough translation.

"That's about what I expected from her," Onaga sighs, now even more relieved. "But that can't be everything, you were gone for several hours."

I again glance at Weaver, who returns an innocent, uncomprehending look, "Um, Marshal wanted to teach me a few things."

The dance of waiting and reading repeats, ending with Onaga pinching the bridge of her nose, "Right, I probably should have expected that from her. And it's going to be good for you in the long run." She leans back against the wall, arms crossed, "Okay, what's next? It's not dinner time yet and we're already back at base…" She's obviously thinking out loud. "I need to make sure Rowan and Ohkido are clear on your legal status before they try anything." She concludes, mostly to herself. "And, to be clear, if you don't like anything they do let me know immediately."

I nod. And yeah, the way Onaga and Karlos explained partner status to me sounded like it's in a strange legal gray area where I'm sort of my own entity but all the responsibility for my actions falls on Onaga. I should probably find out what it actually takes to become a citizen at some point.

Oh, Onaga's leading us back out to the lobby, great. I hope things don't get too weird.

AN: Fun fact, the next chapter is almost ready, and was written entirely between me handing this off to Ott043 and posting. I don't know how.

Hope everyone who read enjoyed!

Well a Young Oak does help to explain why so much is still a mystery about Pokémon just in general. Rowan will have a heart attack if he gets to see Misdreavus evolve into Mismagius.

I never left, just been standing menacingly in a corner while starting at the words.

Samuels f-dging Oak?

Well... This is going to be interesting.

Thanks for the chapter! :V
Oh boy, Professor Oak huh?

That's interesting. Wonder how SI caught his attention.
Well a Young Oak does help to explain why so much is still a mystery about Pokémon just in general. Rowan will have a heart attack if he gets to see Misdreavus evolve into Mismagius.
I think I've mentioned... somewhere about how I kept rewriting my ideas for Rowan and everything that happens around that, and when I remembered that Oak should be about the right age to be traveling the world, and that the two are supposed to be 'old friends,' it was as if I found the missing piece.

So how long do you think before Oak/Ohkido oversteps and gets blasted?
It took me a moment to realize that every letter was a different video.

To answer... Probably about as long as it takes for a certain otter to pick him up and yeet.

Back