Well, the next chapter will get here when it gets here, let's let the author cook~
This one had some issues in the kitchen.

Also I wasn't doing that thing people do where they beg the author for another chapter,
It didn't feel like you were. I saw this as I was prepping to post and it made me chuckle a bit.

It's Lamont isn't it?
Ha! Ah, no. His last name feels straight out of Mary Poppins, it's great. Don't feel like you need to look it up, you'll see it next chapter.

You should make it more immediately obvious who the point of view character is. I was thinking it could be Onaga for basically a paragraph here. The current setup makes it It feel like a puzzle where each time I start reading I have to determine who the POV character is by ruling out who it isn't.

"It's because you need to attach the sounds to the characters," I explain, simply getting more confusion from Espeon. "It's…" I was about to say 'It's not that hard,' but I have several unfair advantages. "This might work better if we had Weaver here to read to you," I admit.
The teaching reading to Espeon had me thinking it Onaga at first. The unfair advantage is being human and why having a pokemon (Weaver) would help.

I taste consolation, acceptance, and then curiosity. And looking at the psychic cat, he's staring at the door. Following his gaze, I see a turtwig I recognize.
The emotion taste seemed like it was feedback from the her link to Espeon.

"New," The tortoise says.
Didn't catch this at first. I thought the, "New" was basically just a sound it was making rather than the word new.

"Yeah, I kind of got swept up in things," I say, blinking at the form behind Turtwig.

"Normal," He surmises, hands reaching out to pick him up as a woman, Maya, steps down the hall, and the dragon that was behind the small pokemon enters the room.

"Are you going to cause problems?" He curtly asks, reptilian eyes doing their best to intimidate me.
At this point it became obvious to me that Onaga wasn't the POV character.

Last edited:
Oh that's... very much a big piece of canon divergence. No Kellyn, no Kate? Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear, that's going to have repercussions.
You should make it more immediately obvious who the point of view character is. I was thinking it could be Onaga for basically a paragraph here. The current setup makes it It feel like a puzzle where each time I start reading I have to determine who the POV character is by ruling out who it isn't.
Although this particular section was a touch unclear... come on. Playing with POV changes isn't as fun if things are spoon-fed all the time. It's this one in particular that could use improvement, not everything.

Although this particular section was a touch unclear... come on. Playing with POV changes isn't as fun if things are spoon-fed all the time. It's this one in particular that could use improvement, not everything.

I agree with JBcristal here. I didn't have any problems, not did I have any issues with the POV breaks people were complaining about earlier. I mean, in the first line they mention needing to attach the sounds to the characters which a Human listener like Onaga wouldn't be able to notice since all they hear is variations of the Pokemon's name made it obvious that it had to be another Pokemon off the bat, and then they mention that they "taste" the emotions in the second line which only makes sense for the Misdreavus protagonist since they are the only character that eats emotions and Onaga has never described the feedback from Espeon in such a way.

You should make it more immediately obvious who the point of view character is.
Playing with POV changes isn't as fun if things are spoon-fed all the time. It's this one in particular that could use improvement, not everything.
I didn't have any problems, not did I have any issues with the POV breaks people were complaining about earlier.
I'm going to try and get across why POV changes are an issue.

The first and most obvious one is that, as the person writing it, I'm effectively blind to the problem. I know who's talking and what's going on at all times, even if it's intentionally(or unintentionally) vague. This one's a very "and now we're in the scene" transition, like most of my swaps and intros are.

And as writing is a subjective medium, I'm left with the choice of either making it extremely obvious or trusting the reader to work it out. In this case I thought I'd made it clear by the second paragraph, but WorldSlayer's explanatory additions do make sense as to how it might not be. Having said that though, I'm not sure what I'd change about the opening to make it clearer, or even if it needs it.

It's the beginning of the chapter in a first person narrative, the POV character isn't going to address themselves by name(outside various circumstances), and having someone else do it could be awkward, depending on the scene. Now, I could have the character doing something only they can do, but again, that's scene dependent. And then, well, this:
and then they mention that they "taste" the emotions in the second line
I really had thought it would be obvious by that point.

To summarize something that anybody who's tried writing a full story before will have learned, writing isn't easy. It's fun, for me, but once an outside audience is involved it also becomes both more stressful and more fulfilling. I like seeing people respond positively to what I've written, and I'm glad some are also pointing out potential issues, even if I'm not sure what to do about them.

Oh, and then:
Oh that's... very much a big piece of canon divergence. No Kellyn, no Kate? Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear, that's going to have repercussions.
Things might be going even farther off track than that. And SoA PCs numbers one and two wont be born for... 10/15 years. Canon is, after all, only a general guide. I did consider having them as ranger protags, but is just didn't feel right and the longer I thought about it the more I liked simply filling the main cast with new people.

Things might be going even farther off track than that. And SoA PCs numbers one and two wont be born for... 10/15 years. Canon is, after all, only a general guide. I did consider having them as ranger protags, but is just didn't feel right and the longer I thought about it the more I liked simply filling the main cast with new people.

Wait, What?? I thought this was the plot of SoA, so the SoA PCs not being born for 10/15 years is confusing.:???: The only guesses I can make is either this is a prequel to the SoA plot or you shifted the SoA plot into the past.

Wait, What?? I thought this was the plot of SoA, so the SoA PCs not being born for 10/15 years is confusing.:???: The only guesses I can make is either this is a prequel to the SoA plot or you shifted the SoA plot into the past.
From the side of those that have gone through SoA, without saying much... no, this is SoA.
I'm laughing my ass off in expectation over this change, because this was the key moment the MC shows themselves to be a proper Big Damn Hero. They are 100% not here, and Mirth doesn't shy away from making it clear on the responses because it is that openly clear.
Several things very solidly placed us on the timeline, and the A/N at the end gave me a good chuckle because yeah, that tracks.

From the side of those that have gone through SoA, without saying much... no, this is SoA.
I'm laughing my ass off in expectation over this change, because this was the key moment the MC shows themselves to be a proper Big Damn Hero. They are 100% not here, and Mirth doesn't shy away from making it clear on the responses because it is that openly clear.
I will say that Nelicar hit the nail on the head with time-shifting, which is something I've noted both in the story and in several responses.

To try and say things about what's changing without spoilers, there are things mainline Pokemon loves forgetting that I feel make too much sense to leave out, and I have some issues with how the games' mechanics would translate without changing things. As well as deepest lore about other things that Ott043 made an offhand comment about in DMs that took me down a rabbit-hole of 'Oh shit, that works so well, was this supposed to fit together like that? Was it planned?'

Congrats Charlie, you're a therapist now!
Still love that someone noticed that. It was sort of part of an idea I was playing with, it was mostly scrapped, but he's still a decent person. Even if he doesn't have training, simply talking can help quite a lot.

Hey just wanted to say I have no idea about The cannon storyline so I'm missing heaps of context but I'm super enjoying reading anyway!

The POV changes are actually one of my favourite parts, I don't find myself lost past the first paragraph on who is speaking.

Thanks for this gem of a story!

Chapter 23
AN: Thank you to Otto43 and Garmfild for beta-ing this chapter.

Enjoy.

"Now," I say, taking my place at the large table, "I want all of you to tell me exactly what happened here today, as I need to report it all to the Union."

The assembled head rangers and academy staff quiet, shuffling slightly, and sharing various looks with each other. "Thank you, Ranger Holt," Callin Reylind, head of the south base, says, nodding slightly at me, "It was rather loud."

After that, everyone remains silent for a few moments. Finally, just as I'm getting ready to 'ask' again, someone speaks up, "We were slow to respond to the emergency mission," Marissa Lane, head of Vien Forest East, admits. "A combination of unpreparedness and our people all being in the field."

I wave Mr. Reylind off as he opens his mouth. We've already spoken, and three of his personnel arrived in the expected time frame, "Let's start from the beginning, shall we?" I ask, looking over to the academy staff.

"We'd been readying for taking some of the new prospects through disillusioning," Mr. Kaplan says. "You know the drill, bring in some local wilds and tamed animals from the conservatories," He waves a hand vaguely, "All that. You know what I mean." The beginning of ranger selection, yes. Weeding out those who can't accept basic facts. "Anyway, that's when the alarm went off. Anri?"

We look to Ms. April, who breathes in to steady herself, "One of the senior students had interrupted my class, claiming they'd heard crashing and screaming, along with a pokemon cry. Once a first-year turned up and confirmed it, I sounded the alarm and sent the emergency broadcast. A few minutes after that, Ms. Kaplan came running and told us to barricade the room."

"Ms. Kaplan?" I prompt.

The woman sits up, resting her elbows on the table, "I'd been taking care of my team after my last field tactics lesson, and was starting to have issues with them spacing out." She sighs, "Should've known something was wrong at that point, but when the alarm started going off I did my best to snap Lucky, my manectric, out of it." She shakes her head, "Took a bit of doing, but once I did he was on the ball and following me. When I saw all the destruction I headed right for the broadcast room since I knew there had to be a few people in there who hadn't gotten out."

"Right. Now to our first on-site," I say looking across the table.

A deep sigh comes from the man there, and Karlos Monte, the head of Vien Forest West, steeples his hands in preparation to speak, "We reacted immediately, and arrived seemingly before anyone else." And that was quite impressive, implying a time-to-readiness of seconds. "Onaga– that is, Onaga Ryuko, entered the building just as I made it on-scene. I'm not sure of the exact events that happened inside."

"She did her job, that's what," Ms. Kaplan, the lead tactics and behavior instructor, takes over. "Less than two minutes between her seeing what was happening and it being resolved." At that, I make a gesture for the woman to continue. She glances around, then huffs slightly, "Ms. Onaga? I think I remember that," The woman queries, getting a nod from the burly man, "Ms. Onaga came in, assessed the situation, and ordered her Weavile–"

"Not her Weavile," Karlos, as he insists on being called, interjects, "As of four days ago, Weaver has been recognized as a full citizen."

I raise a hand, forestalling any more interruptions, "Continue, Mrs. Kaplan."

"Uh, Right. Ms. Onaga ordered Weaver to be ready to intervene against the tangrowth, which the weavile did. Then Ms. Onaga started messing with her resonance-thing. After that she had her– Sorry, she had Weaver start subduing the one closer to where Anri was holed up with some students. Then Ms. Onaga was attacked by the other pokemon," Mrs. Kaplan pauses, "Actually, she took some pretty hard hits there, is she okay?"

"She was perfectly capable of standing without issue," I inform her, "If anything, I believe any meaningful harm she suffered will have been backlash from overusing her RED." Unlikely though, as the woman's history shows a marked resilience. "Continue."

The teacher raises her eyebrows, but does so, "Well, I was splitting my attention the whole time, but she climbed the one going after her, then just held on while the tangrowth kept trying to buck her off, then it– they, yeah I know," The woman sighs at some of the looks she's receiving, "I was a trainer for decades, sue me. Anyway, Tangrowth started settling down, and Ms. Onaga fell off them, unconscious. And since one of the pokemon was barely conscious and the other had calmed down, I started first-aid for Lucky."

"Not ranger Onaga?" I ask.

"That weavile was being protective," the woman responds. "Made it pretty clear no one would get close."

"Okay then. And by that point," I say, "The situation was under control and more backup was arriving." I get nods all around. "Now, how about some of the other things many of you noticed? I'll start by saying that on arrival, my partner Blake was having issues focusing."

"As were all of our partners," Mrs. Lane confirms, "Many of them also became frightened after the confusion passed as well, clinging to their rangers."

"Gabite too," Karlos adds. "And Dodrio, though they kept each other on task." Hmm, a benefit of having multiple selves.

Mr. Reylind simply nods.

"Yep, most of mine couldn't focus, but they at least weren't violent," Mrs. Kaplan nods, confirming we're thinking the same thing. "Like I mentioned, Lucky needed some jostling, but he managed to help protect the students." Hmm, and Ms. Onaga's partner knew something was going on but was unaffected.

"And the REDs? Ms. Onaga said both she and Mr. Kaplan were having issues, and I confirmed there was nothing wrong with her device," I say, looking at the teacher in question.

"Yeah, there was something strange happening," He confirms. "I've never felt that much feedback from one of the things. I'll say the same thing I said to Onaga, it felt like trying to push through quicksand."

Overall, the situation could have been much worse, and it's fortunate that Onaga was one of the first to arrive. The woman's family history may have a large hole and a mystery in it, but her ranger record is excellent.

"Does anyone here have more to add?" I query.

"One of my students was asking after Ms. Onaga, but that's not particularly relevant," Ms. April, the lead of operations, says, shaking her head.

"The pokeball remnants imply this was planned," The principal, one Lamont Splendidocious, speaks up.

I nod, holding in a sigh. He's correct, and while the timing could have been worse, it's not by much. "Our lack of regional staff will be a problem…" My words settle into the group, many expressions turning cloudy at my implication. "I'll bring it up with the Union, but a situation like this makes me feel we'll be seeing more at some point."

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Charlie doesn't waste any time after Miss Ryuko says we can go. And since I've been picking up their boredom and impatience, I follow them.

I haven't had a chance to really look at this city, for… various reasons. But since Charlie seems to be taking their time, I can too, even if I'm a bit confused about where Charlie's been leading me. Not that they want me following them, but they're letting me. I just feel so much better with them pulling everything the humans are feeling away before it becomes overwhelming.

It's a very short walk before the trees fall away and the dirt path becomes stone, the human city looming ahead of us.

This doesn't look like any place my team and I saw in Johto, it's more… modern. Or advanced, I guess. The buildings aren't all wood either, some of them look like they're made entirely from stone or metal. And that one has so much glass! And the park we're headed for looks so pretty.

Wait, are they going into the glass building? Oh, and they're opening the door for me, too.

Walking into the building, it's much easier to make out all the plants inside, it's like an indoor farm. It's also quite a bit warmer and very, very humid.

The pokemon operating it– Oh, I've never seen a pokemon doing that before, that's so cool! And he's so big, too! He and Charlie are talking about someone named Marshal. But I'm not paying that much attention. There are a lot of ripe berries on some of these plants.

The big pokemon seems happy about something being accepted as he turns his attention on me and I look away from the berry bushes, "Are you hungry?" He asks.

I shake my head, it's not a big deal.

"Mmm," He rumbles, concern condensing around him even as Charlie pulls it away. "No, that's not right. Here." He snakes a vine out to an oran bush, plucking the juiciest looking berry I can see before setting it in front of me, "You need to eat if you want to get better."

Better? …Oh, he's looking at my fur. But I'm already better… However, Miss Ryuko and Charlie keep telling me to eat more. And that berry smells good…

Glancing between the two watching pokemon and the berry, I slowly bend down to take a bite.

***​

It's sometimes a bit hard to follow Charlie as we wander through this place. They'll move through things in that way nothing else can, and I end up needing to track around whatever it was myself. They always wait for me, though, and they stop at the big roads with tracks.

It isn't until we're on the west edge of the city that I start becoming worried. And the ghost-type stops, turning to look at me, "Is something wrong?"

That's one of the nice things about Charlie, they're almost like another psychic, picking up on how I'm feeling without needing to be told. …I do still need to talk to get complex things across though, I don't like that part. "The -f forest," I say, waiting for the misdreavus to put it together.

I can't tell what they're feeling right now, they're too far away for me to see or feel inside the maelstrom, but their expression is mostly curious. "…Are you worried we're going to get in trouble?" They ask after considering for a moment.

Of course I am. Humans hate it when you stray into the wild, and Miss Ryuko only said we could do what we want, not that we could wander off. "W– We shouldn't go so far…" I tell Charlie, trailing off at the strange look they give me.

"We went farther than this in the city," They say, tone not quite understanding. "And I lived out here, it's not a big deal."

"But th– the… Miss Ryuko–" I stop. Maybe they don't understand because they used to be human? Except that doesn't make any sense, they should understand better that way.

I can feel Charlie's eyes boring into me, and I glance up to see confusion plain on their face, "Being asked to be back before midnight implies she expects us to wander off," they start slowly. "Next, is the fact that, in all those warnings and explanations, she never told us not to head out if we felt like it. That's too big of an oversight if they didn't want us doing it. And finally," They spin around, conspicuously running their eyes over everything, "How would they know?" They ask, looking back at me.

How are they not getting it? "They a– always follow…" I trail off. Nobody's followed us. Not a human, not an older member of the team, nothing. "Wh– What if we get lost?"

"I… think we're being trusted not to?" They giggle, "It's pretty easy for me to find my way around, in any case." They give me an assessing look, "Are you not used to…" They trail off, freezing in place as the maelstrom picks up speed.

What? Why do they always stop like that? Why is their face– What's with that look? I don't like this, why do they have to be so high up right now? Why do they look so troubled?

"Oh…" What? What 'Oh'? "Uh, anyway, if you don't want to follow me then you don't need to," They say, moving into the trees. "I'm just going to be… considering things." They pause, "It might be better if you stay away from me for that part."

I– I– They're already deep enough that I'm having to look through trees to see them. Should I go back home? But I want to follow them, Charlie's so interesting and– And steady-seeming. Even last night, even when they were all doubt and worry and shame, they weren't afraid or… or panicking like I keep doing.

I follow the ghost.

They glance at me as I catch up, slowing slightly as they continue forward. They don't say anything, simply making a straight line to wherever we're going. I need to go around the occasional tree, or sometimes jump over rocks or a gully, but they just pass through and over everything. Only stopping at a few clearings to look around for a bit.

It's so quiet, it's not like being in a city or at home. There are other pokemon around, but it's not the overwhelming noise of humans pouring all their emotions out all at once all the time. Maybe… Maybe that's why Charlie's coming out here.

I don't know how long it takes us, but we end up at another clearing, this one with what looks like a broken building at one end. Didn't Weaver say something about Charlie's home collapsing?

Charlie sighs, the shrill noise the first sound they've made since entering the forest. They float closer to the wreckage, eyes roaming over the splintered remains, a complicated expression on their face. They keep doing that, drifting back and forth, twitching and freezing.

"Are y– you okay?" I ask after I realize they aren't going to stop on their own.

"I don't know," Charlie admits, wincing and glancing at me. "I… had plans. I'd thought I had things worked out, at least in the short term, and this place was part of that. And then it all just…" They sigh again, "And then Weaver up and offers me something workable. Something I've needed. But I'd still grown attached, it was mine. My new home."

The sound they make is closer to a rumble of thunder than anything else, "And then those– Those humans had to come try and… No, not try, they did ruin it." Charlie stills, then continues more softly, "Or I did. I could have done something else. I should've just flown off, told Marshal about it." They blink, "Or even Weaver…"

They cast a glance over the ruins one last time, "But now I… I just needed to see it, to think about it." Psychic force blooms into being, wrapping itself around some of the wreckage and slowly moving it aside, revealing what looks like a discolored wooden rectangle. I can see a few reflective bits on its surface.

Charlie stares at the thing for several seconds, then turns and starts floating off. Not in the direction of the city.

I… What… How do they just– They're starting to leave me behind again. Sprinting to catch up, I start feeling lightheaded, but Charlie stops, looking back at me.

"I'm… okay…" I tell the ghost, panting.

"Uh-huh," They say, not hiding their disbelief. "Let's keep things slow for now."

"Where… are w– we going… now?" I ask, managing to catch my breath.

"I want to see somebody," They unhelpfully inform me. "She lives pretty close by."

"She?"

"Yep," Charlie confirms, moving out and then back into corporality, "And she's home, too."

I don't know how they can tell that, I certainly can't sense many pokemon nearby– Oh, I can't sense much of anything nearby. That means others are avoiding something near here.

"Ch– Charlie, are y– you sure we should be h– here?" I ask. I really, really don't like this.

"It's fine, trust me," Charlie says, reassuringly. "Marshal helped me get myself in order," The ghost, the already very much dead ghost, continues, their tone warm. They don't stop moving, though.

It takes a few minutes before I feel something new, and I stop. We should turn around. I can feel a weight to the mind ahead, of certainty and age. And power, so much strength that there isn't a way any pokemon could contain it, but this one is.

And it just noticed us, oh Tower!

I try to get my paws to move, to turn around! Anything! But I can feel that presence focusing on us. Charlie moves in that strange way again and then changes course slightly, heading toward the thing radiating frustration and… Joy?

"Looks like she's In her garden," Charlie muses. "I wonder if–" They suddenly stop, glancing to the side for an instant before tracing back to look at me, "Espeon?"

It's hard to breathe, I can't even say anything. Why is it looking at us?!

Charlie stares at me for a long moment before whipping away much faster than I've seen them move before. They call out, and I feel that intense focus leave me, it feels much easier to breathe after that. I watch, unable to stop myself as Charlie reaches that presence, and the hues shift to concern.

What… What is that? Charlie said a name, Marshal. Do they not feel the sheer power behind– Her, Charlie said her. It's fine, right? It's just the most powerful pokemon I've ever felt, it's fine. I can't even tell what species she is, just that she's big. IT'S FINE! Breathe.

I don't know what the two are doing, but, after a long minute, Charlie flies back. "Sorry, let's… let's move away from here," They say, getting close enough for me to start feeling them again. They're being genuine, and they're also a bit upset at themself, along with many more minor emotions.

They lead us away from that– Her, whatever she is, and north into a more dense part of the forest. Once I'm starting to calm down, Charlie sighs, "I was a bit distracted, so again, sorry about leading you along like that." They unwind one of their tendrils, showing two small, red and yellow berries, leppas, Mitsuaki always had a few for after training, "Marshal said these should help you keep your energy up."

"What… What is sh– she?" I ask them, not quite sure if I want the answer.

"A floatzel…?" Charlie's tone is light, but they know that's not what I meant. "…Honestly, all I know is that she's old, she likes helping, she's a very… genuine person, and that Onaga and Weaver like her. Which, for the moment, is enough for me."

"But–"

"She also said that most psychics avoid her," Charlie interrupts, shoving the berries at me, "I don't know much about her, really. Well, aside from some implications people have made…" They're uncomfortable about something.

I don't want to feel uncomfortable like that either, so I eat the berries in silence, the prevailing emotion shifting to relief. Leppas are always tasty, and I start feeling better soon after, "What n– now?"

"I'm not sure," The ghost admits. "I'd thought you'd like meeting Marshal, and I was mostly planning on spending a few hours at her lake… I might still do that later." They take a moment to think on it before I feel guilt wrap around us, "Shit, Leaf," They say. "He ran off last night, scared."

"Who…" And I think I'm done talking for the moment, I just– Too much. Charlie notices, which is nice of them. The misdreavus drifts away from me, that's less nice of them.

"He's a leafeon," They tell me. "And he might be better or worse for you to meet right now depending on how he's feeling."

Oh? why would that be?

"He's a bit… very anxious." Charlie pauses, thinking, "Other than that he's usually fairly content, if a bit prickly." There's an empty moment before they start laughing, "Jesus, he's a rosebush."

I don't understand why that's funny, but Charlie seems to think it's hilarious.

The ghost shakes their head, sighing as the laughter peters out, "It's nothing, just something I've been doing." They pan their gaze around for a bit, frowning, "It might take a bit to find him though. Or maybe," They orient themself, seeming to find a direction somehow, "He might be waiting there."

Charlie… Oh, Charlie just knows the pokemon around here. That shouldn't be surprising, but I hadn't thought about it. They must think I'm weird with how I'm reacting. After all, they're just wandering around like it's normal—because it apparently is. Why can't I do anything–

"Hey, no! None of that," The misdreavus says, prodding me with psychic force. "I don't know what you're thinking of, but whatever it is, you're fine." They sigh, "Are you okay to start walking again?" And I am, something they understand without a nod, "Okay, we're going to find one of the trails and follow it for a bit. After that…" They glance back across my body, "I think we should head back so you can rest."

I don't mind that, and after a few seconds of silence, the ghost nods, moving off in a seemingly arbitrary direction.

We pass by several other pokemon, like earlier, but I'm only now noticing that they hardly give us any thought. I remember how people and pokemon acted when they saw me in Johto, and it wasn't with cursory dismissal.

Soon enough we're back on a trail, heading North, and Charlie's scanning the forest around us, occasionally losing corporality as they do so, "You might know where he is before I do," They say, frowning. "He's not as big as Marshal, not as… Saying bright sounds wrong," The ghost mutters. "Saturated?"

I'm not sure what they mean, but there are quite a few pokemon around us. So I start looking for concentrations of anxiety, as Charlie did say the pokemon was anxious. Surprisingly, I can see one heading towards us. From behind.

I stop, Charlie doing so an instant later as I turn and point a paw.

The leafeon bounding after us is… big. And anxious, and relieved. …And surprised as he looks at me, "You, uh, already replacing me?" Leafeon asks jokingly. He doesn't feel like he's joking, there's so much–

I'm glad when Charlie sweeps between us, cutting most of the emotions off. That was a lot. "Nah, he just followed me out here. I was trying to check in with you and Marshal after…" The wave of negativity that rolls off the leafeon crashes into Charlie, and I flinch, expecting it to hit me. It doesn't. "Oh. Um, are you… Would you like to talk about something else?"

"Please," The grass-type says. "I'm glad you're still here, though."

"Where else would I be?" The misdreavus asks, moving to the side slightly.

Leafeon shifts uncomfortably, and I see his uncertainty manifest before Charlie… eats it, "I– I don't know! After I stopped last night– And then it really hit me– But I couldn't find you anywhere! I was getting worried…" The deciduous pokemon haltingly says.

Charlie's face takes a slightly guilty cast, "I wasn't doing great after that," They say, sighing, "And I kind of got swept along by Weaver. I've mentioned her." The ghost didn't phrase it as a question, but the leafeon nods anyway, and Charlie continues, "She, uh, took me back to the rangers and… offered me a job?"

"Oh," Leafeon blinks, a mix of emotions washing out from him. "That's… good? Or not bad?" He breathes, calming down slightly. I'm glad Charlie was taking most of it. "So, um, good for you." Then his eyes track to me, and he realizes something, "You're the Espeon Maya's been talking about."

I nod, trying to connect to him. Surprisingly, Leafeon seems to know how to handle his end of it. A query, and I get an image of another espeon, significantly older than me. His mother.

Charlie's looking between us, tilting their body slightly. I guess they are pulling the weak connection in, even if they aren't part of it. That would explain the dead emotional channel, I… think I'd need to make it a bond to prevent that.

"I'd… rather not leave Charlie out," Leafeon says. "Even with as… eerie as they are."

"Yeah, that… tasted weird," The misdreavus says, eyeing me before tuning a flat look on Leaf, "Anyway, I wanted to make sure you were alright."

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Espeon and Leaf seem to be getting along, there's the occasional spike in flavor, but even with Leaf being Leaf it feels like he's a stabilizing presence for Espeon.

At some point, Leaf and I ran out of things to say, and now the two of them are doing something psychic while Leaf grooms Espeon. I don't exactly know why he's doing it, but it does seem like Espeon's enjoying the process. …It's a bit odd watching the large definitely-a-canine tend to the small feline like that, but I suppose I shouldn't judge.

It's easy to tell the difference in their emotions—not by what they're feeling, but by how much richer Espeon's are—so I'm glad the psychic cat is starting to run through a wider spectrum. He's not crying, but he's definitely releasing some things. I can put some of a picture together by how they're both feeling as they 'talk,' and it's making me feel sorry for the kid.

I'm tempted to leave them here and go talk to Marshal for real, but it feels awkward to leave like that. Not that it isn't also awkward to keep floating here, but they both want my presence as well.

Actually, I'm getting the odd feeling that Leaf is somehow withholding something, but I can't tell what or how.

Hmm, I wonder how they'd take it if I said I was going to go visit Marshal? Leaf would probably be nervous, but accept it. Espeon… I still don't know why he had that reaction, only what Marshal said about how psychics avoid her. The only thing I can think of is how massive her presence is in unreality, which I guess could be unnerving when every person I've seen is so small by comparison.

Or maybe it's how saturated the world around her is? As I've only seen one other person be anywhere near as colorful. It might even be both, who knows? I still don't understand what any of it is, let alone what it can mean.

What was I thinking about? Oh, Espeon following me to Marshal again, right. Would he? My read on him says yes, obviously he would. Although that's only if he knows I'm leaving… But that would then mean I'm leaving a child I should be watching alone with someone else. Admittedly, I trust Leaf to keep an eye on him—for a little bit at least—but it feels wrong to do that.

I sigh as another thought hits me, we've been out for a little over two-and-a-half hours at this point. Even though Onaga said 'midnight' it's probably best to be back before then, and it's starting to get on in the day. …Now that I think about it, can I still fly around at night? Something to ask Weaver, later. And maybe some other clarifications about being a 'partner.'

Honestly, I know Onaga explained it already, yet I still don't get exactly what helping the Rangers means. Granted, it's been less than a day and they're probably going to introduce me to things one at a time, but… I've got a familiar feeling. A mix of nervousness, excitement, and uncertainty that I remember from the first few times I landed a job. Although, I'm pretty sure this won't be like any job I've had before.

A now familiar poking breaks me from my thoughts, and I rotate to see Weaver… She's not smirking at me. She looks blank, nothing showing on her face or in her stance. "Weaver? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Smokey," Even her tone is flat, "Just a defensive measure, and a little overexertion." She glances at Leaf and Espeon, the larger of whom is looking back warily, "Ryu wanted me to make sure you were alright."

"Okay…?" I ask, leadingly. And 'defensive measure'?

"Something happened right after you left," She explains. "It's been resolved, but once she was out of the hospital and back at base she wanted to know where you both were."

Hospital?

"H– Hospital?" Espeon asks, speaking for the first time in a while.

"She's fine," Weaver 'reassures' Espeon, her tone still way too blank, "Only bruising and enervation. I think we'd both like it if you could come help with cleaning though."

…You know what? Sure. It's something to do, I'll probably get the story of whatever happened, and I was slightly worried that my new job had no 'job' to it. "Espeon," I query the cat.

He stands, shaking himself to fluff his short fur slightly, and flicks his ears a few times. I taste readiness and acceptance before his ears go down, "Oh… Y− Yes…" I think he forgot about Weaver again.

Weaver remains still as I focus on Leaf, "I'm glad you're feeling better now," I tell him, and see his face gain that yellow tint again. "Sorry about leaving so suddenly."

"It's fine," He says with a flick of his tail, "I get it, you've got those things you were complaining about not having now. I'm…" His anxiety increases, but now there's something else mixed in. It's so faint– "Anyway!" He says, backing off, the taste of panic and realization overtaking everything else, "I'll… We'll see each other later, yeah? Yeah." And he bolts off.

Well, that was… something. I wonder why he started panicking?

A small snort of amusement has me turning to look at Weaver. She's a little less of a blank now, with just a small hint of a smirk on her face. "What?" I ask.

She stares at me, her smirk growing by the second, "It's nothing you need to worry about, Smokey. Let's get moving." With that said, she glances at Espeon and starts a slow trek back East.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Trudging down a trail like this isn't how I expected our escape to go, especially since Hiro and I are still partially deaf even after all the Heal Pulses. Say what you will about this place, they must have good healthcare if they were using it for prisoners.

Keita's with us now, though Yu had Nao head to his place. Something about needing another man for a job, it doesn't matter. We're headed for the evac team, and as soon as they can radio out we're leaving.

"__ S____ns, wh_t'_ h__pen_d to ___ t___l?" Keita asks, shielding his eyes while he looks ahead. I squint past him to see what he's looking at and end up rubbing the bridge of my nose as I feel a headache coming on.

There's a bunch of damned-tall trees fallen in the way, so we'll either need to climb over or manage through the thick growth that's everywhere but the path. Climbing is probably the better option since the Rangers took our pokemon.

"What do you think?!" Hiro asks, still being a bit too loud.

"We go over," I growl back. Seriously, Hiro, I get it, but keep it down.

"Sounds good!" He responds, slightly quieter.

As we start making our way to the bridge between us and the fallen trees, I feel the ground shake slightly, Keita's head whipping to look behind our group.

I turn to follow, hoping it's just some wild pokemon so we can–

A flash of blue, a dull thud that I feel more than hear, and Hiro explodes. Red chunks and a pink mist washing over me with a foul, metallic smell.

What? What just…? Hiro?

Where did…? I look at what happened behind us again, and I see it.

Those burning, baleful eyes from last night, only now on a truly giant pokemon that's rising out of a crater. Oh, I remember being told about this one. The boss' orders had been 'Don't get near it.'

It stares right through me, almost casually tossing a small, slow ball of light behind me. Part of me says that it's going to hit Keita, but I can't make myself look away to confirm.

I can still taste Hiro's blood, pieces of him sliding down my face and arms.

Oh, this is it, then. The… The whatever it's called is walking toward me, not taking its eyes off mine.

A strange light passes over me, and it isn't until I feel something cold dripping onto me that I look up, away from its glare. The river is hanging there, unmoving as it bends to the poke– No, the monster's will.

I don't have time to react as it descends on me.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

Well now, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that these humans lacked the smarts to just accept that the rangers caught them. And I have an example now, too.

A shame, though. Ryuko won't be happy about it, she always complains when one of us does this.

She understands why, however.

I let the river fall back into its bed, sighing as I consider where to put my example. On one of the human paths is a given, but which one? This one down here hasn't had many humans use it this year, and Luxray hasn't seen any yet either… The one leading to the East side of my lake has been more popular than ever thanks to the kid. Hmm, but if the kid's not there anymore, will the humans keep using it?

Well, they won't after they see my example.

AN: Humans are pretty squishy tbh.

I'm coming to the realization that I can't spend as much time writing as I'd like. This is mostly me deciding to stop trying to write chapters weekly and let them happen when they happen, I just don't have the free time.

Hope you enjoyed.

Man, Jessie and James wouldn't have lasted more than two episodes in this setting.
The thing with Jessie and James is that pre-Ash, they were top operatives for Team Rocket. They were very good at what they did - and in episodes where they don't interact with Ash much (or at all), or ones where they're helping him, you can see that come back through. They're skilled trainers, masters of disguise and incredible mechanics. They just had the poor luck to set their sights on the starter of a guy literally blessed by fate, so they look incompetent all the time - but it's like those tetrodoxin newts. Their poison straight-up just doesn't work on their main predator, but literally any organism except that one species of snake can be dropped in a single touch. (Not that extreme, but you get the point.)

As an example, take Unova. The TR Trio put together a cogent, functional plan to kidnap Meloetta, steal the Reveal Glass and bind the Therian Trio to Giovanni's will. Every step of this plan in which Ash does not interfere goes off without a hitch, law enforcement and gym leaders alike powerless to stop them. They're very good at this shit. Ash is just their kryptonite.

EDIT: Hell, Ash doesn't even manage to stop them from using the Reveal Glass. He rescues Meloetta, which fouls the whole thing up completely and requires them to help him take down the maddened Giovanni to prevent him from destroying the world, but they do actually manage to summon the Therian Trio despite his attempts at interference.

Last edited:
I'm coming to the realization that I can't spend as much time writing as I'd like. This is mostly me deciding to stop trying to write chapters weekly and let them happen when they happen, I just don't have the free time.

Hope you enjoyed.

No worries, I definitely enjoyed the chapter.

Take the time you need; I've found that trying to maintain momentum with fast updates just leads to burnout or a bad 'work'/life balance, and that can suck a lot of the enjoyment out of the writing process and turn a fun side hobby into what feels like a chore or obligation that has a superfluous deadline attached.

I realize I may be projecting a bit here, so I'll just hop off this soapbox now and say I eagerly await the next chapters, whenever those might be.:wink2:

Man, Jessie and James wouldn't have lasted more than two episodes in this setting.
The thing with Jessie and James is that pre-Ash, they were top operatives for Team Rocket. They were very good at what they did - and in episodes where they don't interact with Ash much (or at all), or ones where they're helping him, you can see that come back through. They're skilled trainers, masters of disguise and incredible mechanics.
I always felt the rocket trio could have been so much more. Although, if they ever met Marshal then blasting off would be a good way out.

I also feel the need to explain the the logic behind what Marshal was thinking there:
To start with, two of these people had already been captured by the rangers, so that's already a mark against them.
Then there's the fact that making an example of some people works. It gets a lot of the humans intruding to reconsider.
And, of course, the fact that she knows these humans in particular captured one of her children, they were dead as soon as she laid eyes on them.
To her, a simple, clean solution: Remove the problem. So she did.

Being a person doesn't mean she looks at problems the same way most humans would, and she's still a bit angry at them, in any case.

Last edited:
Callous as it may seem I can understand Marshall doing as they did. It isn't just home it is also their children. Humans have done similar for less. That said I am glad it was clean (for a given definition) and that you managed to make it dark without really damaging what you have made Marshall into, adding to it instead and making it more a that was not bluffing feel to what they said earlier.

As for writing speed, what I would have said has already been covered. All I'd ask is that if you decide to stop warn us please. I can't speak to everyone else and I know my own snippet only got its initial post (suddenly have my nieces kids while she was in the hospital and now recovering from emergency surgery but i will get back there) but the thing that irritiates me when reading isn't an unfinished story that won't be finished, it is false hope then nothing more than a year later. Finish, don't finish though, you matter more than the story does. Don't forget that.

I'm enjoying the thought being given to body language and nonhuman personalities, most recently with Leaf and Espeon laying down to groom each other and chat over ESP

I just want the MC to have the HGTV home design and construction montage we all know is coming. The tension is killing me. What replacement couch will they get I need to know? Will they add windows to that wall they punched out or no? Will they install tile flooring, carpeting, or stick to the rustic aesthetic of proper wood flooring in this cabin? Whens the last time anybody has cleaned out the Chimney of debris and is he going to have to worry about smoke backfilling the place? Will the MC ever secure access to wellwater for that house?

Are these questions signs of my degrading mental state?

Last edited:
Chapter 24 New
AN: My author's kitchen is on fire, help.
Not the good kind of fire either, my ISP keeps shutting down the power to my whole block because they fucked something up.

Anyway, huge thanks to Otto43 for putting up with my complaints about that while betaing.

Enjoy.

"The Ranger Union still has yet to make a statement on the events, though our analysts predict that this has to do with the deceased individuals being part of an active investigation by the SFID. Analysts also believe that the timing of the as-of-yet-unknown incident at the Ranger Academy is not coincidental. However, the Union has not made comments on that event either. In local news, Altru Tower's construction has been delayed once again, prompting a new wave of questions as to the–"

I tune the sound of the TV out. Useful as it may have been to learn human tongues, I find most of what they say 'over the air' to be merely so much noise. I'll leave searching through it all to Maeve…

Timing isn't a coincidence, hmm?

I continue sauteing tonight's dinner, now with an interesting perspective on recent events. Someone fell, that much I'm certain of. I could recognize it while we were in Vientown, the feeling in the air was unmistakable. But where are they now? The world today isn't like that of sixty years ago, someone appearing out of thin air would be noticed, surely.

Unless, of course, they appeared in the middle of someone's territory. But even then, unless the human was acting irredeemably, I would expect that they would have been escorted out. Although I don't know what the general attitude of the wilds around here is yet, so I should likely withhold any conclusions.

Judging the pan of vegetables suitably soft, I plate it along with the wild rice before pouring sauce over the whole thing. I always smile, remembering how Maeve was about cooking when we first set off. She had the general idea of what needed to happen, but none of the experience or knowledge of the ingredients we had at the time. Once I could falsify having hands well enough, she generally left it to me. A fact our entire team was grateful for.

A little over a week into settling in, and we've found our patterns again. Maeve—ever the free spirit that she is—has been spending much of her time early in the day wandering down every alley and poking through every bush, smiling all the while. I've been right behind her, of course, sometimes visible, others not.

Memories of halcyon days, when we were both young and clueless, recaptured for a brief moment in this new land.

I feel myself smile, "Love, dinner," I call, setting her plate on our table before retreating to secure my own sustenance.

'Human-grade' meat is as expensive as advertised, here. Thankfully I can eat most things, and one can find pokeblocks for purchase anywhere humans are.

Placing two of the protein cubes on my plate, I then add my measure of the rest before settling at the table, my wife already waiting.

This, to still be here with her, is what made everything worth it.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"Still no ideas? And I thought you were smart…" I say, halfheartedly teasing one of my oldest friends.

Shinbara gives me an affronted look before chuckling, "Well, I have some hypothesis now," He admits, stoking his short beard, "The issue with confirming them is simply how unethical it would be."

"Hit me," I say settling into one of his lab chairs. They're rather comfortable.

The professor sighs, staring into space for a long moment before acceding, "I believe," He pauses, then nods, "I believe what happened was the result of something like a heavily modified Friendship Blaster," I roll my eyes at his preferred name for the devices, but he did invent them. "I've no clue where someone could find a power source to broadcast over such a range, or with such a powerful effect, however. Now, that assumes it is the same technology, as the described effect was unlike a Blaster."

Both our eyes shift to the large whiteboard the professor had been working on when I walked in. It's covered in scrawled math and designs I don't pretend to understand, the device depicted among it all only somewhat resembling a 'Friendship Blaster.' "Do you think it will help when another situation pops up?" I ask.

"I'm uncertain," Shin says, standing straighter and fully assuming his role as Professor Hastings, "The report I read from the first ranger to respond said that, while she wasn't sure, it seemed that Tangrowth calmed down before the resistance vanished." My old friend swaps to stroking his mustache, "To me, that, combined with the descriptions of the issue provided, implies an issue with delivery. I'm afraid, however, that to test it will require another event." He stops for a moment, then nods, turning to me, "I should have prototypes soon enough, just in case."

That's good to hear, "I'll have a shortlist of rangers made for potential field-testing. How many should be on it?"

The genius considers my question before waving it off, "It doesn't truly matter, I think. Giving them to the best performers would be better." After another moment of thought, he continues, "But no more than ten. I'll likely only have two or three ready, so we can narrow it down further when the time comes." He looks back over his 'Mad Science Lab,' a frown overtaking his features, "Sasako, do you–"

He's interrupted as the door to the lab opens, an operator sticking his head through, "Chair Erma, Chair Hastings, I was asked to remind you that the meeting with League representatives starts in five minutes."

Both Shin and I sigh, sharing a look that says we'll continue this later.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"Mmm, I had thought they lived in the forest," Meganium comments as we enter my garden. "It's why I asked them to bring you the sapling."

"They did, until just that night," I inform him, enjoying not needing to look down for once.

"And now they have joined the rangers, while those responsible have been… dealt with," The blooming giant absently observes. "You know, there was quite the stir when the humans found the drowned man on that path," He continues, inspecting my pecha tree. "Mmm, This is quite healthy."

"I've done my best," I preen. "Though I have had help. How did the humans react, exactly?"

"How they normally do, I would say," The large grass-type says, tilting his head back and forth, antenna wiggling slightly. "There has been quite a lot of eye-rolling and shrugging among the locals, while the foreigners have been… hmm… cowed."

I can only nod, that's been about my experience as well, and it was the intent. And, now that the tourists won't be around as much, I wonder if I'll be seeing more of the local children again soon? "Good to know it worked. What about my other plants?"

"Mmm, let me see," He says, now dipping his head low to look at my sitrus. "How long have you been attempting to grow this one?"

That has me frowning, as it's been long enough that it should be bigger, "Last year… Eleven months."

"You've cared for it well, then," He beams at me, raising his head back to eye height, "Sitrus are famously delicate saplings. When transplanted they tend to wither quickly, or, in this case, take time to settle."

"Well, that's nice to hear, I'd been worried I was doing something wrong," I chuckle.

"Mmm…" He rumbles eyes tracing over several more of my plants, "Marshal of The Forest, you've grown a lum to fruit," he says, leisurely pacing towards the tree I planted the vine on, "You've care enough to see a sitrus healthy."

"Aw, you're going to make me blush," I respond, playfully cupping my face. "I'm glad you seem to like my garden."

"Even many grass-types don't dedicate the time you have to this growth," Meganium praises, lighting up my garden with a bit of life. "I'm glad to see a place like this, knowing I helped make it possible." He looks around for a moment, literally beaming at my small haven, "I feel it prudent to ask, you wouldn't mind my help, would you?"

"Not at all," I shake my head, squinting against the glow and growing sunlight. "As long as my garden is okay, I don't mind."

"Hmm…" He rumbles, excited. And I see many of my plants beginning to bloom.

Hah! I can't wait to see the look on Luxray's face next time he comes around.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"I still can't tell if I should be glad for the company or not," Katie offhandedly says, idly tweaking the knobs on her big-ass radio. "I mean, you don't really say much, but I'm also not in here alone all night most the time now." She looks at me, "You know, I didn't actually believe Onaga when she said you don't sleep at first."

I shrug, it's not like I have much to do most nights anyway. And when I don't feel like practicing it's nice to have someone awake nearby, even if we don't talk at all.

Turns out, people are boring when they're asleep. Who knew? Although they're also a veritable buffet, Onaga especially… doubly so given how Espeon mirrors her feelings when they're asleep. Makes me wonder what she's dreaming about since she's always so calm while she's awake.

"Yeah, I guess you wouldn't get it," The operator says, returning my shrug as she misinterprets what I meant. Oh well.

Learning the ropes of being a ranger partner mostly boils down to just… helping, as obvious as that sounds. Even though I've seen them do clearly impossible things, the rangers aren't pokemon, so they have us to bridge that gap.

Basically, we help out by providing 'interpretation,' powers, a second set of senses, fighting ability, or even just small things like aiding with daily tasks. It's been… interesting so far, but I'm starting to understand Espeon's– Patches– Whatever-he-decides-on's eagerness to go out for missions or 'quests.'

I still can't believe they honestly call them that. Granted, they have a physical bulletin for listing them, so… quest board? When I asked Weaver she was confused by my confusion about it, but I think she might have been messing with me.

Maybe I should grab a book? I'd be practicing my 'illusions,' for all that I can call them that, except Katie's made it clear that it's a bit distracting. And since I'm definitely starting to get better at reading now, practice will help. Even if I'm still only a bit above a child's level, two weeks to get there is pretty good.

Katie puts a hand up to her one-sided headset, focusing as whoever started talking relays something, "Received, thanks Harry," She says once 'Harry' finishes, proceeding to write something down in a language I can't even begin to parse.

Honestly, I still have no idea how she's keeping it together. I can taste the stress and exhaustion around her all the time, and I've watched her pull two straight weeks of twelve-hour days. Even then, while she can get a bit snippy, she's still chugging along. …It probably helps that the people she works with are so supportive, and my being in here usually makes her feel a bit better, too.

Overall, it's been interesting to see how the rangers seem to treat the base as more of a home than anything. I get the sentiment though, and everyone's partners treat it that way too, which… I guess it is their– our home, so fair enough.

"Katie, Misdreavus," I hear Onaga greet and turn to see her leaning into the room.

Well, I suppose the day is starting then.

***​

As has become normal, Weaver and I are half-watching Espeon as he tries to absorb written language. Meanwhile, the two of us are doing our own things. Today, that means trying to twist my cloud—or miasma, as Onaga has called it—into a visible shape and practicing writing, respectively.

Usually, this happens to a backdrop of Onaga training with ridiculous amounts of weight and dedication, but she's relaxing today. Instead of making me question my sense of reality, again, she's focused on a file folder and the large amounts of what looks like newspaper clippings inside.

"Hey Charlie," Weaver says, grabbing my attention from where it had been wandering this time, "What's the order of this one again?"

I wouldn't have thought Weaver was someone who could study all that well, I was wrong. It turns out that she has way, way more self-control than anyone I've ever met. And given what she's said about it, I think it's a dark-type thing.

I take a look at what she's trying to do, and then run through my memory for a moment, "The lines on the side first, then the zig-zag, and then the swoopy bits," I tell her. I still want to know why 'League Standard' feels so… Japanese, but that puts me back into thoughts I can't find answers for yet.

Like why I'm here.

Nope, still not ready to think about all that again. Where the hell can I even start looking–

Anyway, I find myself preferring Sinnohan to 'League.' It's just more comfortable for whatever reason. Maybe because of the sentence structure? English and Spanish aren't the same, but it's not the complete shift that League is, and Sinnohan flows much more like a romance language.

…I've completely lost focus. Back to attempting free-form energy manipulation.

Okay, I know there's something I'm missing here. I can make a fully opaque shape now, but I can't give it defined edges or color. It is, however, easy to see at least. …mostly because it's all contrast. I know I've managed white before though, hmm.

And I'm tasting a certain cat's frustration again, so maybe it is time to stop for now, "I think that should be enough of the video for today, yeah?" I ask, speaking to both other pokemon.

Weaver gives a distracted nod as she moves her new, heavy-duty mechanical pencil across a sheet of paper.

Espeon, for his part, glances at me, and then back to the TV with a small nod, carefully pressing the buttons on the VCR with psychic force to stop and eject the tape.

He's thankful, ashamed, and relieved all at once. Probably because he wants to learn, but hates the slow process. "You're doing great, Espeon," I tell him, meaning it and making sure I'm close enough for him to feel it. "You've almost got all the basic consonants now, right?"

That earns me a tentative, ears-down nod, his double-ended tail twisting around itself. But he's soon feeling better as I focus on feeling supportive, his slight hunch lessening.

This is so much better than being alone in a cabin, and I can still float off into the forest whenever I want.

Okay, I haven't done that since all the rangers scrambled off because a body was found, but who's counting? I mean, I do want to see Leaf, the Pikachus, some of the groves, and… Marshal.

Marshal is the reason I haven't gone back out there, even though I want to talk to her again. I still don't know how I feel about her killing three people. I mean, I'd already figured she's killed people, and, after the sheer level of malice she was putting off that night, I'm not surprised. But that's not what's stopping me.

'You need to stop thinking like a human.' …It's funny how many times I can go through a memory and still miss details like that.

She knew. Or she figured it out, whatever. But I know that the next time we get to have a long conversation it's going to come up, whether I do it or she does. And before she killed those people I was going to talk to her about it, but then Espeon was freaked out and I needed to talk to Leaf, and… things got away from me.

I know, factually, that effectively nothing's changed. They definitely aren't the first she's killed, but that doesn't stop it from feeling different now that I've seen what she can do to a person.

Pictures of meat chunks, a bloated body, and the way that everyone was just acting like it was expected… All coupled with the way Espeon had reacted to her, where just being near her had terrified him. It all keeps running through my head when I think about meeting Marshal again, making her not just the slightly scary, friendly otter anymore. Instead she's rather more… intense.

But I'm going to keep thinking myself in circles about this, again, so it's best to stick to my decision to talk to her about it. Eventually.

Looking up from my thoughts–

"Fuck!" Weaver is close enough that I have an almost panoramic view of her snout.

She grins, "Never gets old." The weavile backs off, casting a glance at Espeon and sighing, "It's probably about time you start coming with us on duty, Smokey."

That makes the psychic flinch slightly, a tinge of jealousy rolling off him.

It was going to happen at some point, and I'm guessing that if Weaver pulls me along then Onaga is going to accept it. Espeon might become an issue, though. He's smart enough to know why I'm being treated differently, but he's not quite mature enough to be graceful about it, especially as he's now glaring at us.

He's not near a meltdown, though, so it should be fine. He's doing a lot better, really.

"Joining us for the run?" Weaver asks, glancing through the folder Onaga had been holding, the woman herself now running through a series of stretches. "Patches should be able to join now, too."

That gets the cat's attention causing him to sit straight and raise his ears. And, indeed, I can only see the end of his ribcage now, instead of each individual bone. Plus, while his fur isn't completely even, there aren't any bare spots anymore.

Espeon's eyes de-focus for a moment before he excitedly stands, and Onaga sighs, "I know, just don't hurt yourself."

I consider for a moment before deciding that I wouldn't mind flying after them, "Sure, I don't see why not," I say to Weaver, raising myself to head height—relative to a human, that is.

Onaga stands, eying me off, then nods slightly, "You too?"

I shrug, "Might as well," I tell her despite the language barrier.

She keeps giving me a thoughtful look, then her head whips to Espeon and she gives him a much harsher one, "Oh, I see." She pauses as Espeon shrinks down a bit, "I suppose it was about time to bring them along. Although…" The look she's giving the purplish cat softens, and Onaga sighs, "I understand how you feel, but unless something happens to make me think Misdreavus is unfit, then I need to get them used to field work."

The difference between how Espeon communicates with Onaga versus anybody else psychically is still strange, but I haven't wanted to poke at it, just in case.

"Also, you are making progress," The woman points out, still talking to the cat. "Faster than I thought you would, too. It's only a matter of time before you can join us on duty. Keep that in mind, okay?"

Espeon nods, and although I don't get the full message, I do taste a grudging acceptance. He still doesn't look happy about it, though.

When Onaga looks back at me she does a quick double-take before rolling her eyes, presumably because I'm now near invisible, "Right, I guess this isn't much of an exercise for you. Come on, we're burning daylight."

***​

I… can't help thinking that we aren't moving that fast. Having thought that, however, Onaga is clearly keeping the speed down for Espeon's sake while she considers something.

We're moving at a very slow pace, Weaver casually skipping along while Onaga is going at an easy jog. For my part, well, I'm flying at a fraction of my top speed. I don't want to say it's boring, it's not, but it does feel slow.

Onaga seems to be taking us on a small circuit around the edge of the city, its compact nature meaning that we're effectively moving along a dirt road with occasional trees on one side and buildings on the other.

I'm still a bit shocked at how few fences there are. As it stands, there truly aren't that many, and the ones that there are seem to only be meant to stop humans. …But it is hard to stop a pokemon, isn't it? Using Weaver as an example, she has a twenty-foot vertical leap, along with claws that are perfect for climbing. And that's not even mentioning general strength, or me.

With the way the rangers have been talking, I don't think there is a way to keep me from moving through things. Most of those conversations usually revolved around how useful it is, though, and wanting to see if I can carry things with me. The answer? A definite maybe.

Then there are the reminders that I'm the subject of an upcoming study, but apparently being a partner will change what and how it can be done. I'm not looking forward to when Rowan gets here in 'a few days.' I mean, yeah, some answers about… everything would be nice, but I'm being studied. I don't like the idea of being poked and tested. Still have a few days before that though.

Wait, that was a few days ago… Fuck.

We're turning? Oh, we're circling into the city now. Onaga deciding something… Huh, it's becoming natural to just taste an emotion and then intuit what people are doing, now. Whatever. What's she set on?

After a few minutes of keeping a steady pace, we end up in front of one of the ubiquitous small shops. The storefront's windows decorated with a display showing off paper stock, calendars, schedules, and various writing utensils. It's honestly a comfy-looking store, nestled in a good-looking, red-brick building. Looks like they just opened, too.

What time is it, actually?

Onaga glances at us for a moment, then looks back at the building, "I'd prefer you all stay out here, I'd like what I get to be a surprise." And, having said that, she walks in.

I'll admit to being tempted to follow her, but I stay outside with the others.

Weaver is practically vibrating in place for some reason, "You okay?" I ask the excited weasel.

"I know what she's getting!" Weaver beams, stilling herself. "It's going to make things so much easier!"

Make things– I look back at the storefront, "Oh, yeah that makes sense. …Please don't write anything about, you know, my 'situation.'"

"Mmm…" Weaver makes a show of thinking about it, but grudgingly nods, "No promises, but I get why you're asking." She stares into space for a second, "…Nope, you being from another world is still cool. Any new ideas about how you ended up here?"

"I haven't put much thought into it," I admit. "I don't remember most of the stories from the games, I told you that, but the best I can come up with is…" I trail off, considering if I want to say it. "Palkia."

"Palkia?" Weaver repeats, cocking her head. "What's that?"

I was kind of expecting her to recognize the name of one of the big Gods, so that doesn't bode well. "You know, Palkia, Dialga, Giratina?" I ask, still not seeing recognition on her face. "Space, time, and… I forget what Giratina was exactly."

"G– Giratina is th– the lord of wrongness," Espeon's small voice pipes up, prompting Weaver and me to look at him. "It– It is meant to have been d– destroyed by its siblings before the world w– was created."

"Where did you hear that?" I ask, after getting over the fact that Espeon is the one speaking up about this.

"M– Mitsu– My trainer had a lot of arguments with his br– brother," Espeon says, his tail's ends twining nervously. "Yunoto w– was a very devout follower o– of the Thousand H– Hands, while M– Mi… my trainer believed in the O– Original Sun."

I have no idea what he's talking about, and, judging by Weaver's curious look, neither does she.

"I've heard Ryu talk about Kimetsune a bit," The black cat muses, idly combing claws through her feathers, "But I've never heard of any of those. What about 'Holy Sinnoh,' or 'The Swords'? I've heard people use them the same way…" I've heard the Rangers swear to various names as well, and them doing it to 'Sinnoh' still feels a bit odd.

Hmm, let's start with the odd one out, "Kimetsune?" I ask, recognizing it from Onaga as well. "Who's that?"

"A spirit of fire and forethought," Weaver replies without skipping a beat, "Ryuko prays to her sometimes, and tends to complain that there aren't any shrines here to give offerings to when she does. Actually," She says, glancing at Espeon, "I've heard her pray to a 'First One' and 'Seasons' as well."

This… isn't exactly the topic I thought we'd be on. And that's more Gods than I was imagining. I'm pretty sure they're all legendaries of some kind, but, without the names, I'm mostly lost. The pokemon names, that is. And again with the oddly Japanese stuff.

"How many Gods even are there?" I ask.

Espeon's ears go back, his tail flicking in agitation, but he says nothing as his eyes narrow in thought.

Weaver simply shrugs, "I don't know, humans use too many different names for them anyway, it gets confusing." After a second, she seems to recall something, "Although, I think I've heard Ryu telling Barry that Kimetsune isn't a god but a… Yeah, a spirit." Weaver shakes her head, "I've heard some things about Kanto, it all confuses me."

"M– Many names," Espeon concurs.

Well, that's helpful. How many legendaries are there again? Or, wait… How many games have there even been since I stopped playing? Were they any good?

Fuck, why didn't I play… Okay, stupid question. I was probably depressed for years before I died, had zero time, and wasn't expecting it to be at all relevant to my future. Still, I wish I'd kept up now.

We fall silent as we wait for Onaga to buy, I assume, a notepad for Weaver to carry with her. Espeon has his regular level of wary emotions going on. As if he's still waiting for the other shoe to drop while hoping it never does. And Weaver's grooming herself with that permanent half-smirk on her face.

Can't say I don't empathize with Espeon, though. But as long as I don't focus on… No, no that's not right, is it? God dammit– Gods dammit? Is saying God or Jesus incorrect here?

I'm fucking distracting myself is what I'm doing! I… I need to talk to Marshal, she's great at listening and being reassuring.

And killing people, can't forget that part. Literally, I can't forget it. Which I guess is all the more reason to talk to her.

But then, I've seen her kill people– pokemon, I mean. And I know Weaver has, too. But they were all only…

Oh good, I'm back on this thought, again. So, am I being a judgmental asshole? Well, having now gone over this a few times… Probably, yeah. I hate being introspective sometimes. I still can't even tell if I think of them as animals or not half the time for Christ's sake! That should be a huge red flag!

And humans are animals, something I'm definitively not anymore. Pokemon are clearly different, so why do I keep thinking like a… Like a human.

Why is Marshal always right? And why am I only just now realizing what she–

"Hey, Smokey, we're leaving," Weaver says, poking me on the side of the head.

I shake myself, returning my focus to now– now… When was the last time– I haven't done it since I put Espeon to sleep, fuck. No wonder I'm so scattered.

Onaga's giving me a look. I can think about this later, focus. Take a moment for now.

I'll be talking to Marshal as soon as I can.

▲▲▲

▼▼▼​

"So, a few more showed up?" I confirm with both Philip the wool farmer and Philip the ranger from the Forest's South base.

"Not so much, 'showed up' as they made their way back while we weren't looking," Ranger Philip chuckles. "But we have the transport organized now, so once we get them back to the boat they're shipping out. And a League contact confirmed that they 'should be able to handle it from there.'"

"Not botherin' Ammy no more, neither," Farmer Philip says, gently plucking one of the joltik from his long beard. "Jus' hanging on t'some o' the mareep an' flaaffy now."

Ammy, the only ampharos in town, nods, adding, "Amphar am, pharos ampharos," In her bleating voice.

"We've got a whole berth set to stay electrically charged on the ship," Ranger Philip informs me. "It's still being set up, though," He ruefully admits.

"Jol…" His partner adds, rolling his eyes even as another of the small pokemon crawls onto him.

Two rangers is likely a bit much for this, but that's what happens when an operator forgets to check things.

"I'll admit to only having book knowledge on joltik," I say, holding out a hand for farmer Philip to place the fuzzy arachnid on. "Don't you have a cave to live in?" I ask the tingly yellow ball.

They swivel their head to look at me, mandibles working slowly, and then they flop onto their back. Right, slightly below average logic-index and a general tendency to lose focus. They are, after all, the juvenile stage of galvantula. Juvenile being the operative word, most of the ones I can see being around seven centimeters.

Hmm, the one I saw going with that trainer had to have been around twelve centimeters. The eldest? Or just a large individual, maybe?

I dismiss the questions, they don't matter right now. Looking back over all the spiders, they're acting lethargic and content. Well, at least since they're now charged, they should be cooperative… If we can get them off what they're latched to.

"Misdreavus, Weaver?" I query my partners, and their quiet conversation ceases. One silently steps into view, the other drifts, "Would you two check for joltik around the far ends of the field? Bring anyone you find back here."

They both nod, Misdreavus' bobbing only a bit less certain, and seem to start bantering again as they make their way out into the open space. I watch Misdreavus for a moment longer as they move away. The ghost's behavior changed after I came out of the stationery shop earlier, even their body language shifted to something more centered, in control.

But they haven't been frozen, staring into space since then either. And that's unusual for them, as they tend to do so every few minutes, even if for only a second or two. And seeing them freeze while flying makes me truly wonder what the freezing is about.

Something to work out with them later, and Weaver will let me know if it's a real problem. She's even wearing her bandolier again, now that she has things to carry.

"You know, I heard someone from the west base recruited a ghost-type," Ranger Philip says, also looking off after my partners. "Bit strange seeing them in person."

I snort, turning my attention back to the nearby wool pokemon, "Wait until you hear them talk, it's certainly something." I then lift the hand holding the small, yellow pokemon to eye level, "How are we moving all of them?"

"Well, I don't want to put it all on Jolteon, but I, uh, didn't think about that part," He laughs, rubbing the back of his head. "Can we borrow a cart?"

"Sure," Farmer Philip agrees, "Ain't no skin off my back."

"Think you can keep an electric field up all the way to Chicole?" My fellow ranger asks Jolteon.

The walking lightning rod gives the ranger a flat look, sitting down and puffing himself up, quills and fur ruffling in pride, disturbing the joltik clinging to him, "Jol-jolt, eeon," He barks, pointing a paw at Ranger Philip.

"I have to ask," The man defends himself. "We'll need to hook Dodrio up to the cart, so it'll take longer than normal to get there."

Jolteon loses a bit of his pomp at that, ears folding back for a second before he gravely nods. Old Ammy brays out a guffaw at Jolteon's serious look, a hoof-tipped hand slapping her thigh.

"How were you going to handle it? Out of curiosity," Ranger Philip asks.

"Mostly the same, I think. Load them onto a cart and have Weaver and Misdreavus watch them," I shrug. "Weaver is faster than most other pokemon, and Misdreavus is very good at psychic projection. They'd be able to keep them all contained until we got there."

"Oh? Is Misdreavus a psychic-type as well?" The ranger asks, seeming to decide we should get started as he moves towards the closest mareep.

"No," I shake my head, following his lead as I head for a flaaffy, "At least, I don't think so. They don't communicate like one."

Ranger Philip blinks, setting a second joltik on his arm, "You've been around psychics enough to tell?"

"I think so, at this point. An espeon," I tell him, letting Flaaffy press her nose into my palm. "I'm starting to get a handle on more than just empathy now." Though it still feels odd whenever I get an 'image.'

"Oh, here come th'rest o' them." I look up at the farmer's voice and see a dozen more mareep trotting towards us, Weaver in front and Misdreavus behind. I can only see one joltik among them from here.

I suppress a sigh at her interpretation of the task. Not that it's out of character for her, it's harmless, and the grin as she sees me looking is all I need to know about how intentional it was.

Well, if she's in that good of a mood then Misdreavus must be handling themself well enough. Good to know.

I'm going to hope Misdreavus' behavior isn't part of the instability I haven't seen much of yet, and let it be for now.

I'm just waiting for Charlie to mention the LITERAL CREATOR GOD of poke-verse as a potential reason for him being here/existing.

Blasted isekai-ing space llama.

Back