Holding the Line (Changing Destiny Spinoff)

There were more than a few reports about 'Japanese supermen' sneaking through the jungle and ripping men apart with no warning. It was enough to make a man wonder.
Either the IJN already unlocked Kanmusu, and they're being loaned to the IJA, or those are Abyssals.
"I have some information on the composition and plans of Force Z, General." As he handed the papers over, the orderly grimaced a tad. "If I may speak freely, I wonder if London realizes exactly what we're dealing with out here."

Slim scanned the papers, before grimacing a tad himself. "Our oldest battlecruiser and our oldest carrier that can actually fight?"
Well that'll change things.
As amusing as it may be to see his battlecruiser sulk, he did know when to do his job. A job that had him standing on the bridge wing, staring out at the harbor of Singapore's naval base. A depressingly empty naval base, save for the hulking form of Prince of Wales and the leaner Glorious. At least there was the distant roar of Hurricanes from the carrier over them.

He never did feel quite secure, relying entirely on anti-air guns.​
So Glorious got Hurricanes rather than Gladiators.

The IJN might have had a chance with the OTL forces if it was just Gladiators, but this? No way, those bombers are dead meat.
"So, Repulse, are you done sulking yet?" Tennant asked seemingly thin air around him, content to keep his eyes on the path ahead of him.

"I was not sulking!"
Suuuure.

I'm particularly waiting for the Aussie boats to show up but there is actual competent leadership here this time! Looking forward to seeing what comes of it!

Biggest problem the ABDA Float had wasn't because their leadership was incompetent. It wasn't, well not really. Biggest issues they had was lack of a common language, no air cover, poor reconnaissance, and almost constantly being outnumbered.

Here the language thing seems to have been solved, but air cover will soon be a problem because Sea Hurricanes and Buffalos vs. Zeroes isn't a great proposition, the Zero holds nearly all of the cards plus the pilots know what they are doing. Reconnaissance however remains to be seen, but it'll probably be better to a degree until the air cover becomes an issue. Sadly their's not much that one can do with being outnumbered and while Repulse and Prince of Wales are a major help, a single Type 93 will put either ship out of action for months at least and then shit will really hit the fan.

A lot of people thought they were simple and weak people who could barely make a ship work without outside aid.
I fully admit that I'm not very familiar with this, but I thought that after the Russo-Japanese War, people took the IJN a lot more seriously?
Either the IJN already unlocked Kanmusu, and they're being loaned to the IJA, or those are Abyssals.
Or it's just a random rumor with no basis in reality.

Oh, I'm aware that a good chunk of the issues was because of the language barrier. Another big issue, from my admittedly limited knowledge, was that the Dutch CIC, despite his bravery, is among the least experienced Captains involved in ABDA but because of how the lines of successions was written was the one in charge. I'm just saying here that with Tennant here we have someone with actual experience with these matters.

check out Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll, Battleship at War by Musicant, Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer. there are a thousand more books out ther,e but those three are the ones i have read and recommend. The Pacific Theater is a laregly forgotten theater of war by most people, which is terribly sad.

Another good one is Slim's own Defeat into Victory

It's just demoralized people making reports about stuff. But the thought of the IJN sharing with the IJA is hilarious. They did not get along at all with each other, to the point that the army built its own ships.

It's just demoralized people making reports about stuff. But the thought of the IJN sharing with the IJA is hilarious. They did not get along at all with each other, to the point that the army built its own ships.
Not to mention their little wars, not budget wars or battles for political upmanship but getting a platoon in front of the other's headquarters, dry firing and retiring, or the murder of officers of the other side, or murder of officers of their own side who were asking for moderation...

Let's just say that for the japanese weren't known for interservice cooperation and leave it like that.

There's a reason I call Mogami's little mishap a spectacular success against the wrong enemy. (Mogami launched a spread of torpedos at Houston while she was bullying some IJA transports. She missed Houston and sunk five of the transports instead.)

There's a reason I call Mogami's little mishap a spectacular success against the wrong enemy. (Mogami launched a spread of torpedos at Houston while she was bullying some IJA transports. She missed Houston and sunk five of the transports instead.)

The kicker is that one of the transports had an IJA General onboard. I don't think he was too happy about having his ship blown out from under him.

Really like the new update, and honestly the whole sidestory.

Think you have done a great job evoking the feeling of forces and leaders with a high self view having some deep seated assumptions challenged while at the ragged edge or supply and strength of their forces.

Biggest problem the ABDA Float had wasn't because their leadership was incompetent. It wasn't, well not really. Biggest issues they had was lack of a common language, no air cover, poor reconnaissance, and almost constantly being outnumbered.

Here the language thing seems to have been solved, but air cover will soon be a problem because Sea Hurricanes and Buffalos vs. Zeroes isn't a great proposition, the Zero holds nearly all of the cards plus the pilots know what they are doing. Reconnaissance however remains to be seen, but it'll probably be better to a degree until the air cover becomes an issue. Sadly their's not much that one can do with being outnumbered and while Repulse and Prince of Wales are a major help, a single Type 93 will put either ship out of action for months at least and then shit will really hit the fan.

Type 93s only matter if they let IJN destroyers close enough to launch them. Type 91s carried by aircraft are a concern, but the torpedo bombers have got be within 2,000 yards, slow to 150 knots, and fly straight and level to successfully drop them. Subs are another concern, but none are operating in Southeast Asian waters as of now, and IJN sub captains are more concerned with scouting for the fleet, than bagging warships as of now. That changes after Coral Sea.

Type 93s only matter if they let IJN destroyers close enough to launch them. Type 91s carried by aircraft are a concern, but the torpedo bombers have got be within 2,000 yards, slow to 150 knots, and fly straight and level to successfully drop them. Subs are another concern, but none are operating in Southeast Asian waters as of now, and IJN sub captains are more concerned with scouting for the fleet, than bagging warships as of now. That changes after Coral Sea.
They had a 20km range. Nobody even knew about type 93s until 1943.

That far away, they'd assume that the DDs are just scouting and not much more. I really doubt they'll significantly invest into killing them.

20km range only matters if you can actually land a hit. Which, postwar analysis shows, they couldn't.

Anyone else picture Kenneth More playing Captain Tennant? I've probably asked that in the past on this thread, but seeing as how I've just come back home from being away for a week training, been up since 3AM my time, and drove for nearly 6 hours, my brain synapses are currently the consistency of oatmeal. :D

Here the language thing seems to have been solved, but air cover will soon be a problem because Sea Hurricanes and Buffalos vs. Zeroes isn't a great proposition, the Zero holds nearly all of the cards plus the pilots know what they are doing. Reconnaissance however remains to be seen, but it'll probably be better to a degree until the air cover becomes an issue. Sadly [there's] not much that one can do with being outnumbered and while Repulse and Prince of Wales are a major help, a single Type 93 will put either ship out of action for months at least and then shit will really hit the fan.
The Japanese may not have Zeroes in the SEA theatre; from what I can tell, at least two of the IJNAS units involved in the OTL incident were equipped with older aircraft, G3M 'Nell' bombers and A5M 'Claude' fighters. Japanese strategic overstretch being what it was, there were never enough first-class aircraft to go around.
If the IJNAS does send those units after Force Z while HMS Glorious is in play, those Claudes are going to find fighting carrier-launched Sea Hurricanes and land-based F2As to be a... sporty sort of experience. For all its agility, the Claude is even more frail than the Zeke, underpowered, and is armed with only twin 7.7mm MGs. The Brits might have a hard time hitting them, but without cannon for real punch the Claudes will have a hard time being much more than pests to the Sea Hurricanes.

The Japanese may not have Zeroes in the SEA theatre; from what I can tell, at least two of the IJNAS units involved in the OTL incident were equipped with older aircraft, G3M 'Nell' bombers and A5M 'Claude' fighters. Japanese strategic overstretch being what it was, there were never enough first-class aircraft to go around.
If the IJNAS does send those units after Force Z while HMS Glorious is in play, those Claudes are going to find fighting carrier-launched Sea Hurricanes and land-based F2As to be a... sporty sort of experience. For all its agility, the Claude is even more frail than the Zeke, underpowered, and is armed with only twin 7.7mm MGs. The Brits might have a hard time hitting them, but without cannon for real punch the Claudes will have a hard time being much more than pests to the Sea Hurricanes.

Problem is that inlines engines like the ones that the Sea Hurricane is equipped with are much more fragile due to the fact that they got radiators and cooling lines both of which can't take a hit worth a damn. The Buffalos are more durable thanks to their radial engines but the A5M4 most certainly has it's drawbacks but those Sea Hurricanes will have to be careful because of the A5M4's agility.

Back