Help! I’m probably going to murder my friends in this Isekai!

Regardless of the rest of it, I'm glad that people can recognize the dick who speced into charisma as a dick.

Also I'm definitely Not Saying a bunch of uncharitable words about a lot of things. There are just so many things Donovan could have done better, like seriously he was definitely sociopathic before all this.
In the sense that he didn't consider the other people to be people, yes. But they all thought it was a game. Donovan just held on to that longer than most. He treated the kid much better.

TBH I liked Donovan more when he thought it was a game. That attitude was unique, now he's an angsty wreck of self-loathing. Like 95% of fiction.

Regardless of the rest of it, I'm glad that people can recognize the dick who speced into charisma as a dick.

Also I'm definitely Not Saying a bunch of uncharitable words about a lot of things. There are just so many things Donovan could have done better, like seriously he was definitely sociopathic before all this.
In the sense that he didn't consider the other people to be people, yes. But they all thought it was a game. Donovan just held on to that longer than most. He treated the kid much better.

TBH I liked Donovan more when he thought it was a game. That attitude was unique, now he's an angsty wreck of self-loathing. Like 95% of fiction.

I'm trying to get some messages through in how how these character react to the world, and not commenting directly (because writer commentary can ruin it) so I appreciate you guys (and other readers) discussing it, because what you guys take away from the story and see in the characters is the best part for me. (Though Peanuckle I agree that the MC was more fun to write when he was steamrolling everyone without a care, thank you for staying on the ride despite the change)

Last edited:
Episode 9: Reunion
The city of Theemoth rose up from the back of the giant turtle-crab, the sky pink with the first hints of sunrise. There would be no sign of the sun for several hours, as the lands of Eo were ringed by a massive wall of mountains. There was still light however. It illuminated a hazy moon that hung over Theemoth as the turtle-crab carried the city forward.

Donovan could see hints of the moon and the pink sky through his mask as he sat in his throne. Beside him sat Lyra, wearing a richly-colored and layered dress. On the other side sat Reqart in princely attire, with a finely stitched coat and a ring on his finger. Both the Erie's and the boy's thrones had been set up that morning by Ulum servants, and now Lyra and Reqart gazed with Donovan out across the chamber.

There were hundreds of figures present. Masters, commanders, advisers, and Donovan's guests. Princess Esymia and Ilizabessa stood to the side of the masters wearing dresses with muted colors and accented with gold and silver trim. Prince Galeon stood next to the red-skinned princess, wearing garments similar to Reqart's. She-Joker and Babi were next to them, speaking in low murmurs to each other, occasionally laughing.

Donovan ignored their laughter and murmurs. They were the only two talking, the rest of the throne room silent as they waited on the young man. Donovan leaned forward in his throne and nodded at a Montre. The lizard guard banged his trident three times, the sound echoing around the hall.

"This morning's court will now begin," The Montre declared. He turned, waiting on the young man.

"Belok," Donovan called. The giant gargoyle lumbered forward, bowing his head. Donovan made a lazy gesture. "How many of your warriors did you lose taking this city,"

"Four-thousand master," Belok said, his voice rumbling through the hall.

Donovan nodded, doing mental math in his head. "Fangson? Your losses?"

The blind leper broke away from the other masters, joining Belok at the bottom of the stairs. "Belok's forces took the brunt of the Ulum's attacks, we only lost a couple thousand, with another thousand wounded,"

"Alright then," Donovan said. He didn't bother asking about the beast riders, as he had seen their losses himself. Instead, he took a deep breath. The next question would have a painful answer. "Shipmaster Greis,"

The robed Uhnut approached the stairs, wringing his hands. "Yes my king,"

"How many warships do we have left?"

"A little over a hundred and thirty," The shipmaster said, ducking his head.

Donovan exhaled slowly. "We've lost too many of those, they're our greatest weapons,"

Master Greis winced. "Yes, this city's spell-wall and their ships destroyed many. We did manage to capture at least a dozen of the Ulum's own warships, though it is taking us time to learn how to use them,"

"The city's spell-wall," Donovan repeated, rubbing his chin under his mask. "Is that the column of magic that took down my floating castle?" Master Greis nodded. "It was powerful, can we use it for ourselves?"

Tokaroaka stepped forward, bowing his grotesque mask. "We have lost many sorcerers in our time here, though the Ulum mages have been forthcoming now that we have settled in the city. As for now, it is a matter of numbers. A great many sorcerers are needed to activate the spell-wall, which we do not possess,"

"Hm," Donovan said, nodding. "We'll get them one way or another. Tell me what you know of Aga-," He paused, gesturing. "Whatever the fuck the name of that city is,"

"Agasul," Tokaroaka said, his limp sleeve hanging at his side. "My spies report great defenses, layers of walls, large towers, fortresses and many gates. They are doing their best to draw up maps, though it is nearly impossible to get inside, and the surrounding country is patrolled by powerful monsters. There is also evidence of a network of magical nodes surrounding the city, though what they are capable of it we do not know,"

Closing his eyes, Donovan tapped the armrest of his throne. "Damn," He murmured, his voice only loud enough for Lyra and Reqart to hear. They both glanced at him.

"Uncle?" Reqart said, leaning forward in his seat. "Is everything alright?"

Donovan opened his eyes. He lifted the executioner's mask slightly, giving the boy a tired smile. "It's fine Reqart, just boring adult stuff,"

"I'm not a child Uncle," Reqart said, his expression insistent. "I can help! I want to save my mother!" He wiped at his eyes. "And…my father,"

A heavy feeling weighed on Donovan. He could see the pain in Reqart's expression. The boy had now lost both parents. "We'll save Mark," Donovan said, forcing a confident tone. "And I will certainly need your help to do it,"

Lyra leaned forward in her throne to give an encouraging smile across Donovan at Reqart. "Take heart little prince, we'll destroy those who hurt your family,"

"And save my father and rescue my mother?"

The Erie woman nodded. "We will do all these things, have faith in your uncle, the king,"

Reqart looked back at Donovan, waiting to see if the young man would agree. Donovan simply nodded, sliding his mask back over his face. He turned back to Tokaroaka and raised his voice. "Taking Agasul will require all our forces, and who knows how many more battles we have in these lands. I want this city's spell wall operational, we'll hammer Agasul with it if we have to, until they're wiped from the face of this world," He cleared his throat. "Or surrender,"

Donovan noticed Princess Esymia prodding Ilizabessa forward. The red-skinned princess seemed reluctant. She glanced at Prince Galeon, who gave her a slight nod. Princess Ilizabessa took a deep breath and walked with Esymia towards the base of the steps. "King Donovahn," Esymia called. "There may be no need to war with the city of Agasul,"

"Oh?" Donovan said, raising an eyebrow. "You think they will surrender?"

Princess Ilizabessa gazed up at the young man, forcing a neutral expression. "They will have no desire to fight," She said, her voice monotone. "The great spirit Liloth has driven the line of Sarius from it, and given the city to the line of Tahzam," She fell silent, glancing away from Donovan.

"The Tahzam Guardians have no desire to fight," Princess Esymia said, taking over. "They will likely do everything in their power to negotiate a peace, for they are schemers and lovers of power,"

"Is that so," Donovan said, tilting his head. "And what would they give for peace and power?"

"Nothing," Princess Ilizabessa said, a hard edge entering her voice. "They will simply offer the former, and trust you are wise enough to avoid bloodshed,"

Donovan thought on this for a moment, silence gripping the throne room. "Well then," He said. "We will give them peace, in exchange for surrender and information. Anything less and they will receive the same fate as the Ulum and whatever your people called themselves,"

A dark expression passed over Ilizabessa's face. She turned away, walking to where Prince Galeon stood as her dress trailed behind her. Princess Esymia nodded. "Very well, I only ask you consider your options carefully. As your sorcerer said, it will be no small task to enter Agasul by force. It may well be the death of you,"

"Thank you Princess Esymia," Donovan said, waving her away. "Your words are depressing as always," She bowed her head slightly, then returned to Ilizabessa and Prince Galeon. Donovan cleared his throat and stood. "I'm sure there's other things we need to talk about, but first, I have an announcement," The young man held out his hand. Lyra rose from her throne, walking up beside him and taking it. "I have decided to take Lyra as my queen,"

The occupants of the throne room reacted strongly; gasps, whispers and noises of discontent. The latter came from the masters. Both Tokaroaka and Belok stepped forward, talking at the same time.

"My king-"

"Master-"

Donovan held up his hand. "Don't, I've already made my decision. Let me make something very clear to all of you. She is now my equal in terms of authority, because her wishes are the same as mine. That means you will do what she says without question, and with respect," Donovan paused, staring down at Belok and Tokaroaka. "And if you don't, I will have Princess Ninja rip you limb from fucking limb," The large Rook appeared from the shadows, taking heavy steps until she stood behind Esymia and Ilizabessa. She glared at the masters. Lyra's expression was defiant. She held her chin high as she surveyed the throne room. Donovan raised his hand and hers into air. "From this day forth, she is Queen Lyra of Vashn,"

The throne room was silent for a moment, then shipmaster Greis took a step forward and raised a fist. "Hail King Donovahn! Hail Queen Lyra!"

The rest of those gathered did the same, their voices shaking the chamber. "Hail King Donovahn, hail Queen Lyra!"

Donovan nodded, satisfied. "Uncle!" Reqart said, excitedly jumping up from his throne. "You're going to have a wedding!"

"We'll hold a ceremony or whatever later," The young man said, letting go of Lyra's hand. "I'm not concerned about it at the moment,"

"Woooooo!" She-Joker said, cartwheeling to the base of the stairs. She threw out both arms, confetti flying from her sleeves. "I love weddings!"

Donovan held up a palm as he settled back in his throne. "As I said, we'll worry about that later. For now, I want us focusing on the city of Agasul," He turned his gaze back to Belok and Tokaroaka. "Am I clear?" Both masters lowered their heads, nodding.

A commotion drifted in from outside the throne room. The doors blew open, Montre guards and Vashn knights flying through the air. They landed on the smooth floor, sliding to a stop. Everyone gasped, Donovan standing abruptly from his throne with a scowl.

"Make way!" A voice yelled. A moment later a figure strolled in, a cape billowing behind them.

Squinting through the slits in his mask, Donovan watched as the figure approached. A moment later he made a noise of surprise. "Justin??"

Justin stopped, sweeping his arm out and bowing low. As he remained bent, Grace and Seth entered behind him. Justin straightened up, a grin on his face. "Donovan Donovan Donovan, is that you underneath that thing? You don't know how GOOD it is to see you!"

"You gotta be fucking kidding me," Donovan said, staring at him in shock.

Reqart jumped up from his throne. "Uncle Justin! Uncle Seth! Aunt Grace!" He ran down the steps, forcing his way through the surprised masters at the bottom. Babi and She-Joker also rushed over, smiles on their faces. The three were stopped as Montre and Vashn knights surrounded Justin, Seth and Grace, leveling their weapons at the new arrivals.

"Try it," Justin said, winking at a lizard guard. "See what happens,"

"Stand down," Donovan said, descending the steps. The Montre and knights obeyed, parting to let Reqart, She-Joker and Babi through.

"Yes yes yes!" She-Joker yelled, leaping each time. She twirled around Seth and Justin, hugging each of them. "My friends!"

Babi ran up to Grace, embracing her tightly. Reqart gave hugs first to Justin, then to Seth, and then squeezed between Grace and Babi to wrap his arms around Grace. "You're all here!" He said, looking up at her with a grin. "You guys came!" She-Joker popped up next to them, embracing the two women and Reqart in a group hug.

"Indeed they did," Donovan said, his voice low as he strolled towards them. He stopped, facing his friends. They slowly turned and regarded him. The young man gestured. "Well? What brings you crashing into my throne room, those doors aren't easy to fix you know,"

Justin laughed, the sound echoing around the chamber. He walked up to Donovan, clasping him on the shoulder. "I hear you're quite the angry man these days! Destroying kingdoms and crashing weddings! And that mask! What a fashion statement!"

Donovan inspected his nails, trying to act disinterested. "This isn't exactly an easy world to live in,"

"And your answer is to destroy it," Grace said, her tone low. She stared at Donovan, a hardened expression on her face.

"Ahhh Grace," Justin said, giving her a gentle push. "Lighten up! It's our boy Donovan, he's just doing his best! Besides," He raised an eyebrow at the young man, giving him a grin. "I'm sure he's not actually planning to destroy it,"

Grace adjusted her grip on her complex spear. "Don't act like we didn't talk about this Justin,"

"I'm here to heal Mark," Donovan said, glancing at Reqart. "And rescue his wife," He decided not to be forthcoming with his true intentions. In fact, Donovan still wasn't sure what they were. He wanted more answers about the world and how to leave it, but they weren't easily found.

"Heal Mark?" Seth said, furrowing his brow in confusion. "What's wrong with him?" Grace looked surprised as well.

Reqart's face fell, as did Babi's. The boy took Grace's hand, his gaze downcast. "Father's…sick. He won't wake up,"

Grace's expression grew very serious. "Take us to him,"

The friends soon found themselves below the palace, in the chamber where Mark was held. Reqart walked past Vashn and Ulum sorcerers towards the suspended crystals, stopping in front of the one that held his father. He slowly turned to face the others, his expression pensive.

Grace slowly approached, followed by Seth and Justin. Babi and She-Joker hung back. Babi hugged herself, unable to look at the crystal. She-Joker simply frowned. Grace stopped in front of the glass, slowly raising a hand and pressing it to the surface. Justin came up beside her, letting out a low whistle. "Huh," He said, glancing over his shoulder at Donovan. "This doesn't look good,"

"What happened," Grace said, staring up at Mark's sleeping form. It was a demand, not a question.

"Something called the Dalteen Blood Curse," Donovan said. "The Guardian's cast it when they learned he wiped out an entire army with his magic. There's no cure, unless we find someone with extreme power,"

Grace slowly turned from the crystal, holding Donovan's gaze. "And where can we find someone like that?"

"Agasul," Donovan said, simply. "We're headed there now," He glanced at Justin and Seth. "I suppose this is a good time to ask why you're here. Are you going to stop me? You certainly got here quicker than I expected. She-Joker especially,"

Justin raised his eyebrows, sucking in air through he teeth. "Donovan, friend, I convinced the others to get here as quickly as possible, using every means at our disposal. Dragons, teleporting, we hardly rested! We care about you obviously, and I know you say you're just helping Mark, but as far as we can tell since entering these lands, you're making quite a mess doing it," He shrugged. "You certainly made a mess of things in Delfanas, and I'm worried you're going a little too hard at this,"

"Eo's a volatile place," Grace said. "And you're still just skimming the surface of it. Keep pressing, and you're going to start throwing things out of balance,"

"So I've been told," Donovan said. "But everywhere I turn the attacks have been unrelenting. Everything I've done has been self-defense,"

"It's not self-defense if you're the one who invaded,"

Donovan gave a small shrug. "Yeah, well, too late to turn back now. I've got over a million refugees in this city, and they're counting on me to not get them slaughtered. Plus," He gestured at Mark within the crystal. "If we don't find someone to heal him soon..." Donovan left the rest unsaid, conscious of Reqart.

Everyone was silent, including the sorcerers and mages. Seth glanced around, then cleared his throat. "Well, my vote is we go to this Agasul place and heal Mark," He shrugged. "I mean, right?"

"Sure," Justin said. "If they'll let us in. But if they don't, then what?"

"They'll let us in," Donovan said, his voice muffled behind his mask. "I've been told the elves in that city don't want to fight. So I'll give them a choice. Open the gates, or I'll open them myself,"

"Oooohhh," Justin said. "Dark, I like it," He glanced over his shoulder. "Grace? What are we thinking?"

Grace stared down at her feet, clearly conflicted. Finally she looked up, her expression resolute. "Fine. But after Mark is healed, we have a meeting. All of us. We're going to settle things, once and for all,"

Donovan sighed. "Alright, fine, heal Mark, have a friend meeting," He turned away from the others. "But first we have to get inside Agasul," Donovan walked towards the door. "And that may mean a fight," No one answered. He paused in the entrance, turning his mask slightly. "I've already eaten, but if you'd like, I'll have the servants make you breakfast,"

Seth's stomach gurgled in response. "Hey man," He said, scratching the back of his head. "That'd be great, teleporting and riding really take it out of you,"

"Very well, take your time in here if you wish, I'll have someone show you to the dining hall when you're ready,"

Donovan walked alone through the corridors and stairwells of the palace. His thoughts were many. His friends were here, but things were tense. It would take a lot of work to get them all on the same page, and Donovan wasn't even sure what that page would be.

These thoughts continued as he passed through the large doors to the throne room. The young man saw it had mostly emptied. Lyra still stood at the top of the stairs, talking down towards the masters. They listened in silence.

"Fangson," Donovan called. The blind Montre, as well as the other masters, turned. "Go among the refugees and find men who can fight. We'll use them to supplement our losses, like last time,"

"Yes my king," Fangson said, bowing his head.

Donovan passed through the gathering, climbing the steps. Lyra smiled at him as he came up beside her. "Is there anything else we need to discuss?" He said, glancing at her. "That's all I can think of at the moment,"

"If you trust me my king, then rest easy. We spoke of what needs to be done in preparation for another battle, and Tokaroaka says we will arrive at Agasul in another couple hours,"

"Very well," Donovan said, making a small gesture as he approached his throne. "Dismiss them," He sank heavily into the chair, removing his mask and setting it to the side. A servant appeared beside him, offering a goblet of wine. Donovan took it, sipping, then placed it back on the tray. The servant remained, keeping the goblet within reach.

"You are dismissed," Lyra said, her voice echoing around the throne room. "Go about your tasks,"

The masters filed out in silence. Donovan watched, trying to gauge their postures. When the doors had shut behind them, he and Lyra were alone in the chamber, save a few servants, and Princess Ninja, who waited by the bottom of the stairs. "Are they giving you trouble," Donovan said, his tone tired. He closed his eyes and massaged his head, feeling drained from the short exchange between Grace and the others.

"It will take time for them to accept to me," Lyra said, sitting on the armrest of Donovan's chair. She began to run her fingers through his hair. He leaned his head back against the throne, letting her. "But they will respect me, or I will send Princess Ninja after them,"

"You two are getting close," Donovan said, his eyes still closed.

He could hear the smile in Lyra's voice. "Yes my king, she has been most helpful to me,"

"Hm," Donovan said, letting himself relax as Lyra gently curled a lock of his hair in her finger.

"Though, as I carry out your will as Queen, we will need to find a suitable replacement for the Master of Estates,"

Donovan opened his eyes, staring into the distance. "I'll leave that to you, I don't know anyone in my court besides the masters and champions,"

"I have someone in mind," Lyra said. "Another Erie, one who served me well. She will make a fine master,"

"If you say so,"

Lyra remained on his armrest, gently stroking his hair. Donovan closed his eyes again, silence descending in the throne room. After some time had passed, he opened them again, leaning forward and prompting Lyra to take her hand away. Donovan took the goblet from the tray and drained it. "I'm going to go find my friends," He said, standing. Lyra stood as well, a pensive look on her face. Donovan glanced at her as he slipped his mask back on. "What,"

"The other heroes," She said, unwilling to meet his gaze. "Are they…forgive me my king, but are they truly your friends?"

Donovan frowned. "Well, it's complicated. They've changed a lot, with the exception of Seth, and apparently Justin. I've changed in a different way," He paused. "I guess that's how life works, sometimes,"

"Again, forgive me my king," Lyra finally met his gaze. "I do not think they respect you as they should. You are a king, after all,"

"No, I'm a hero, which is a term that means I have powers. They're heroes too, with the same capabilities. If Grace or Mark or any of the others desired, they could be kings as well,"

Lyra slowly nodded. "But…they didn't desire it, did they? Only you had the ambition,"

Donovan snorted. "It wasn't ambition, just a playstyle," He began walking down the stairs. "Remember what I said Lyra, you may think you know me, but assumptions will make an ass out of both of us,"

"I do know you," Lyra said, hurrying after him. "And I also know that their feelings towards you may not be what you think,"

Pausing, Donovan turned his mask towards her. "What are you saying, that they're not my friends? I told you, it's complicated. We'll hash it out eventually,"

Lyra looked worried. "If you say so my king-"

"I do," Donovan said. "Please drop the matter," He turn and continued down the stairs. Lyra followed, Princess Ninja falling into step behind her.

The trio made their way through the palace in silence. As they neared an arched entry, Donovan could make out conversation and the clinking of utensils. He passed the two Montre guarding it, nodding as they saluted.

His friends were all seated at a table piled with dishes and glasses. "So then," Justin said, gesturing as he reclined in his seat. "The asshole looks at me, terrified, and goes 'This is madness!' So I say 'Madness? No, this, is, Sparta!' and kicked him off the bridge into the river!"

Everyone laughed, save Grace, who seemed annoyed. Reqart sat next to her and furrowed his brow. "I don't get it, what's a Sparta?"

"Oh yeah," Justin said, leaning forward in his chair and sipping from a goblet. "It's from this show back in our world, ah, what's it called, I forget," He glanced up as Donovan came to the table. "Donovan! You would know this, what's that movie called where-"

"300," Donovan said, gazing around the table. "How was the food?"

Seth motioned with a fork as he chewed. "Oh man, Donovan," He swallowed. "Did you seriously teach them how to make pancakes? I haven't had this stuff in years!"

"A tribe I enslaved had something similar," Donovan said. He sat in an empty seat, Lyra standing behind him. "All I had to do was introduce them to syrup,"

Justin nodded at him. "So I have to ask, what's with the mask?"

"Trust me, I look better with it on,"

"Ha, okay," Justin said. He winked at Lyra standing behind Donovan. "And you got yourself a woman?"

"A Queen," Lyra said, her tone icy.

"Whoa ho HO!" Justin said, laughing. "Donovan, tasting the fruits this world has to offer! I like it! You guys get married and everything?"

"We'll see," Donovan said. "I'm haven't really looked into how it works here, in fact, I still don't really know anything about this world,"

Justin dismissed the notion with a wave. "Ahh trust me, you'll pick it up soon enough. Took me a couple years. Now, personally, as far as women go in this world? I think Mark had the right idea. Get yourself a princess, an especially attractive one at that. I mean hell Donovan, you got two Guardian ones hanging around, and this one," He tilted his head towards Lyra. "I don't know where you found her, but I'd like to meet her sisters!"

"They're dead," Lyra said, her grip tightening as she held Donovan's shoulder. "I am the only one of my family left,"

"Justin," Grace said, glaring at him. "I think you've talked enough," She turned to Donovan. "How long until we reach the city?"

"We should be in sight of it any minute," He said.

Seth scooped up the last of his pancakes, patting his stomach. "Man, I still can't believe you figured out how to make these! I gotta get the ingredients!"

"Uncle makes sure we eat food from home!" Reqart said, beaming.

"Huh?" Seth said, confused. "Weren't you born in Delfanas, or maybe Lerone?"

Reqart shook his head. "No, I mean our real home, where you guys come from!"

"Oh," Seth said, settling back in his chair. "I guess that is kinda your home, in a way,"

"Seth," Babi said. He looked at her, and she shook her head. "Reqart's confused enough already, please don't make it worse,"

"I'm not confused!" Reqart said, furrowing his brow. "Your guys' home is real! And has lots of war!"

Everyone at the table turned and stared at Donovan. His face burned red as he cleared his throat. "Well, the second part's definitely true,"

"It's true here," Grace said, her tone grave. "And we spend every waking minute trying to bring about peace,"

Donovan held up a palm. "No, right. I was referring to the military-industrial complex," He glanced around, seeing everyone still staring at him. "C'mon guys, you remember the Iraq war and shit,"

"Oh yeah," Justin said, laughing. "Wonder if that's still going on?"

"It doesn't matter," Grace said. "We're here, so we deal with the problems in front of us,"

"Sure," Donovan said. "But we're going to have to return one day, so it's at least a little relevant,"

Everyone was silent. Seth raised both eyebrows as he stared down at his plate. "Wouldn't that be something, going home,"

"Home?" She-Joker said, kicking up her legs on the table. "Where's my home again?"

"By the gods we need to get you some help if we ever do return," Justin said, shaking his head at the colorful woman. "And that's to say nothing about Bri, and of course we've got to find-"

Grace slammed her fist on the table, surprising everyone. "That's enough! You're going to confuse Reqart, and there's no guarantee we'll ever leave!" She crossed her arms, glancing away. "So we don't talk about it unless it becomes a real option, and everyone who came here is safe,"

Donovan studied Grace, guarding his expression. Before anyone could respond, a Montre entered the hall. "My king!" He said, tapping the butt of his trident on the ground. "We have spotted Agasul, and they have spotted us!"

"What do you mean," Donovan said, narrowing his eyes.

"Ships approach my king, at least three,"

"Warships?"

The Montre shook his head. "Forgive me, we cannot tell,"

"Three," Grace repeated, slowly standing. "Surely it can't be an attack,"

Justin stood as well, stretching. "Sounds like an envoy to me, where should we wait for them?"

"We'll do this with style," Donovan said, allowing Lyra to move back his chair as he rose. "In the throne room. You guys can stand up on the stage with me, and we'll put on a show,"

"Hurray!" She-Joker said, clapping. "I've got a new act I want to try!"

"Not that kind of show," Donovan said, rolling his eyes. "Just a little pomp and ceremony,"

Everyone else got up from their seats, following the young man as he left. She-Joker chatted with Babi and Seth, and Justin hummed to himself as he strolled along. Lyra walked beside Donovan, her expression unreadable, as was her mood.

Once back in the throne room, everyone took their places and waited. Donovan and Lyra sat in the thrones, Reqart taking his seat as well. Grace, Babi, She-Joker, Justin and Seth stood around them, idly waiting. Advisers, commanders and the masters slowly filed in, a low murmur echoing around the chamber. Donovan watched them, doing his best not to dwell on how strange the current situation was, or the conversation that had occurred over breakfast.

As everyone gathered, a Montre rushed in, crossing the hall with heavy footsteps. The lizard guard knelt before the steps to the throne. "My king, the ships are mooring as we speak. It is an envoy from the city Agasul, and they wish to speak with you,"

"Very well," Donovan said. "Bring them here,"

Everyone waited, a tension in the air. "Think they're really not interested in fighting?" Justin said, leaning an arm on the back of Reqart's chair.

"We'll see," Grace said. "Donovan has an entire city of soldiers, and that's not exactly a gesture of peace,"

Donovan intertwined his fingers, resting his chin on them. He didn't bother responding, instead staring at the doors to the throne room. The minutes passed. One of his eyes twitched as he stared through the mask. Footsteps echoed through the doors, then they shuddered as the golems opened them.

At least thirty figures entered the throne room. They wore long flowing white robes, with long sleeves that trailed behind them. Wide-brimmed headdresses rested on their bald heads, and their skin was almost paler then their clothes. Their footsteps were light, their garments making it appear as if they glided across the floor. It was their faces that prompted Donovan to raise his chin from his hands. If they had not had pointed ears, he wasn't even sure he could call them elves. They had no eyes to speak of, or if they did, they were so small and beady they blended into their skin. Their mouths were wide, a few of them smiling and revealing sharp, pointed teeth.

"What the fuck," Donovan murmured.

The Guardians came to a stop before the steps. One of them emerged, his headdress wider and taller than the others. Donovan could only guess him to be a male, as his voice came out reedy, his words long and enunciated. "Great King from beyond the lands of Eo," He said, sweeping his arm out in a practiced gesture. "I, Volnok Oberus, speaker of the delegation of the line of Tazham, bring both greetings and blessings to your halls," He brought his arm back in, clasping his hands together with his long sleeves.

Tokaroaka moved in front of the steps, facing the Guardians. "You stand before King Donovahn of Vashn," The sorcerer paused. "And…Queen Lyra. Speak,"

"A great honor to meet one who has conquered so much," The speaker said, bowing his head. "In so little time, as well," He looked up, turning his head. Donovan followed his gaze, seeing Princess Esymia, Princess Ilizabessa, and Prince Galeon. The trio stood apart from the Vashn commanders and advisers, regarding the exchange. The speaker turned his eyeless head back to Donovan. "The council has ordered me to offer the surrender of the city of Agasul, and that of all its inhabitants. We only ask that you spare us, and turn back your armies,"

"You surrender," Donovan repeated. "Just like that?"

The speaker nodded. "We of the line of Tazham have no interest in war or battles, our desires lie elsewhere,"

"And what of Liloth?" Esymia said, her voice ringing out as she strolled towards the delegation. "You would betray the great spirit? He who drove my own kind from Agasul after my brother conquered it, and gave it in its entirety to your rulers? You think he would spare you for such a thing?"

"Hm yes," Donovan said, resting his head in his hand. "That does seem like a fucking stupid move on your part, switching sides so quickly,"

"Ahhh yes," The speaker said, smiling and revealing his rows of sharp teeth. "Liloth. He is surely powerful. But even a great spirit such as himself can not stand against both your armies,"

"Then perhaps you can tell me where he keeps my sister," Princess Esymia said, narrowing her eyes. "If you are so eager to turn your back on him,"

"Wait," Grace said, stepping forward. "What do you mean both his armies,"

The speaker tilted his head. "You conquered Theemoth, which we give you all due respect for. You caught the line of Baelkadra unguarded outside of their fortresses, killing all their royalty. And then of course, the city of Mayu and its destruction. Again, we give you respect for all of this. We of the line of Tazham are the most pragmatic of the Guardians, and do not wish to be the fourth conquest, for how could we resist your forces here, or the millions you march to join you?"

Donovan narrowed his eyes behind his mask, lifting his head from his hand. "What do you mean the millions I march to join me. I have no second army, and I don't know what the fuck a Mayu is,"

The speaker leaned back in surprise, the other pale Guardians whispering among themselves. "Oh dear," The speaker said, putting a long sleeve to his mouth. "Why, that would mean then there is a second invader inside Eo. Their armies will appear on the horizon any moment, our scouts tell me,"

"Tokaroaka!" Donovan said, standing abruptly from his chair. "Where were your spies! How do I not know about this!"

The sorcerer turned to Donovan, bowing low. "Forgive me my king! I sent them ahead of us, not thinking to send them behind us as well!"

"Not thinking is exactly what you did," Donovan said, his voice dangerously low. He turned to Grace. "And you guys? You just happened to miss another army marching around?"

Grace was clearly shocked. It quickly passed, her expression growing serious. "We hardly stopped on our way here, and teleported for half the journey. We thought you were going to destroy the world by burning down Eo. It was a race against time, as far as we were concerned,"

Donovan's mind churned. His thoughts were interrupted as the speaker made a gesture with his sleeve. "If you will excuse me King Donovahn, perhaps I could convince you to destroy this rival army? As I mentioned, they have already plundered the city of Mayu, killing all within. You however have spared royalty from each of the lines you've warred against, meaning you are reasonable, to be sure," The speaker gazed up at him. "Though, the mask you wear…perhaps we should meet with the new army,"

Horns sounded throughout Theemoth, echoing into the throne room. A Rook assassin rushed through the doors, its feathered cloak fluttering behind it. It came up to Tokaroaka, whispering in his ear. The sorcerer nodded and turned to Donovan. "My king," He said, his voice muffled through his grotesque mask. "The army has been sighted," Donovan rushed down the steps to his throne, Lyra and the other heroes following. The Agasul delegation parted, letting them pass. The Guardians then fell into step behind them, as did the rest of the occupants of the throne room.

The massive group rushed through the halls, their hurried footsteps echoing around them. Donovan led them up a wide staircase to a columned walkway. The walkway ended at a balcony that ran around the palace, hanging out over the city. Donovan emerged into the open air, the sun hidden behind fast-moving clouds. He slowly approached the railing. Behind him, his friends, guests and servants fanned out as they came up to the ledge.

The city of Theemoth moved across a large plain interspaced with rounded stone markers. The markers rose into the air, some of them glowing. Agasul was just barely visible on one side. It was certainly wider then Theemoth, as well as taller. But it was not Agasul that held everyone's attention.

Beyond the plain, the entire horizon was filled with a black mass. It stretched in either direction, and above it, warships and winged creatures flew through the air. Horns sounded from the mass, then colors launched up like fireworks. They exploded in brilliant patterns, forming shapes Donovan couldn't make sense of.

"What the hell is this," He said, gripping the railing. Movement drew his attention. Grace approached, standing beside him. She gazed out at the army, a serious expression on her face.

"It's them," Grace said, her tone grave. Justin, She-Joker, Seth and Babi joined her, all staring out at the army. Reqart pushed between them, struggling to see over the ledge.

"Who," Donovan demanded, watching Grace. Her expression hardened.

"The adventurer's guilds,"

What? No epic name for the other invaders? Not even "Its the Crusade!" or even "No one expects the Inquisition!".

Also now that the cats out of he bag will the city of Asagul actually surrender or be Eldar pricks abd suggest a truce with a side of backstab.

Episode 10: Battle of Agasul
Horns and war drums carried on the wind. Donovan gazed out at the approaching army as they continued to launch colors towards the sky. The invaders were announcing their arrival, and their intentions. The young man's grip tightened on the railing, then he let go. Donovan turned to Grace and the others.

"What do you mean Adventurer's guilds," He said, his irritation evident. "How the hell is this not a game when you have something like that? That's textbook isekai!"

Grace looked confused, but Justin laughed. "I forget," He said, shaking his head. "You're still using your HUD. Keep in mind we don't have them, and took the time to learn the languages here," Justin paused, tilting his head. "Well, with a little magical help, but still. It's a bad translation really, blame Ozadias and his penchant for trying to make things easy for heroes,"

"Bad translation," Donovan repeated. "So they're not really called that? What are they?"

"Well, I suppose if you wanted a short-hand descriptor for them, adventurer would work. But, think of them more like professional mercenaries with strict internal regulation,"

"And they're corrupt," Grace said, turning her gaze back towards the horizon. "Rotten to the core, greedy. They only care about money. Delfanas and the kingdom alliance relied on them for their defense, but the guilds denied them help when the Eastern Empire attacked," Her eyes narrowed. "For no other reason than the Empire had more gold,"

Donovan snorted. "A rather stupid system, if you ask me,"

"They have existed for centuries," Babi said, watching the approaching army alongside Grace. "They weren't always this way. They helped heroes against the Demon King, and hunted evil even if they weren't compensated,"

Grace's angry expression deepened. "But not anymore,"

"There's millions of them," Donovan said, gesturing across the railing. "I have maybe a hundred and fifty-thousand warriors, including my flyers and beast-riders,"

Justin shifted. "Oh it's worse then that. You have soldiers sure, but maybe one in a hundred can cast magic, right? Almost every adventurer in that army knows a spell or two, and they will use them,"

"Dammit!" Donovan said, slamming his fist on the railing. He stared down at the stone, his mind racing. "We'll have to fight a defensive battle here in the city, under no circumstances can we meet them in the field," He turned on the delegation from Agasul. The speaker met his gaze with his eyeless face, raising his head slightly. Donovan curled his lip back. "Well? Are you going to fight as well? Because I'll tell you right now, if you try to make peace with that army, the last thing I'm going to do is use the weapons in Theemoth to raze your city to the ground. Don't test me, I'm petty as fuck when I want to be,"

The Guardian speaker held up his palms. "We will of course defend our city, as you defend Theemoth. Though we will not leave its walls. You must understand this, of course. To do anything else would be foolish,"

"And air ships?" Donovan said. "Do you have them?" He pointed across the railing at the horizon. The guild ships and flying creatures steadily approached. "Because they have plenty,"

The speaker nodded, clasping his hands in his sleeves. "We do, but again I must stress, they will remain over Agasul,"

"Fine," Donovan said, turning back.

The speaker turned to one of his fellow Guardians. "Give word to our masters that the defilers who approach are not in league with King Donovahn of Vashn. They will wish to know this," The Guardian nodded, waving his fingers through the air. Smoke drifted off the tips, forming tiny, shifting symbols. The Guardian made a fist, the smoke disappearing.

Donovan stared as hard as he could, trying to determine how quickly the guild flyers would reach them. "Fangson!" He yelled, not bothering to turn his head. "Belok! Hayume! Man the walls with all our soldiers! Only send the beast-riders out, we'll use them to harass the enemy, but do not engage directly!"

"Yes my king!" Fangson called, standing farther down the balcony.

Belok's giant form turned, his wings forcing commanders and advisers out of the way. "I will give the word at once,"

"Tokaroaka!" Donovan said. "Where are you!"

The sorcerer and several of his kin pushed their way towards Donovan, emerging in front of a group of knights. "Here my king!"

Donovan turned from the railing, sizing the robed Feyman up. "Send your sorcerers out among the soldiers, have them aid them on the walls,"

Tokaroaka bowed. "It will be done," He raised his grotesque mask, looking up at Donovan. "We managed to salvage the crystal weapon from the castle as well, and have set it up on top of the trunk of the city's great tree,"

"Excellent," Donovan said. "You did well, charge it and fire as soon as it's ready. Send all your Rook assassins out with the soldiers as well, they can defend the walls with everyone else,"

"Yes my king," Tokaroaka said, backing away with his sorcerers.

"Hayume! That goes for your knights and the Montre as well! Everyone will man the defenses of this city, no exceptions! Master Greis!"

The Uhnut ship master approached, doing his best to squeeze past the Vashn knights. "Here my king! Right here!"

"Line up your ships around the city, do not let them get too far out. I want them close, so these guild assholes have to cover as much distance as possible," Donovan turned, gauging the guild's flyers as they streaked across the sky. As he calculated in his head, the stone markers set in the surrounding fields crackled with energy. A strange heaviness settled in the air. Donovan furrowed his brow as he watched the markers. He remembered Tokaroaka's words from the reports of the scouts. "What is that? A defense of some kind?"

A moment later, the entire field exploded with electricity. Bolts of lighting surged from one stone to the other. Some of them shot into the air, striking a handful of flying creatures that had broken away from the main formation. They plummeted through the air, then were incinerated as more lighting found them.

"Damn!" Seth said, leaning over the balcony. "They got rocked! Right on!"

The speaker nodded, watching the lightning field crackle between the stone markers. "It will not last long, and we will not be able to do it again. It seems my masters wished to buy themselves time, for the decision to activate the Shield of Agasul is not made lightly,"

Donovan took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "Alright, buying time is good," He nodded to himself. "We can do this, we just need to turtle up and let them waste men trying to take our walls,"

Justin turned to Grace. "Well? What are we thinking?"

Grace gripped her spear, turning away from the balcony. "I'm going down to the field when the lightning ends. I want to talk with whoever's leading that army,"

"What?" Donovan said, surprised. "Are you serious? No, stay in the walls, I'm not sending anyone out there,"

"They'll send an envoy of some kind," Grace said, strolling across the balcony. The advisers and commanders hastened to get out of her way. Babi followed, as did She-Joker.

Seth glanced between Donovan and the departing women, then grinned at him. "Ahh, sorry man, she's got a plan I'm sure," He hastened after the trio.

Justin shrugged. "You know Grace, we might as well go out with her, I'm sure there will be some sort of meeting before the battle commences,"

Donovan watched as Seth and Justin hurried to catch up. He shook his head, bewildered, then put a hand to his forehead. "Idiots, absolute idiots,"

"Uncle?" Reqart said, coming up to him and placing a hand to his arm. "Are you going down there too?"

Sighing, Donovan nodded. "Yes, I suppose I will," He looked around those gathered on the balcony, finding who he was searching for. "Lyra!"

She was quite close, watching him. Lyra approached, bowing her head. "Yes my king,"

"I'm putting Reqart in your care, have Princess Ninja protect him with her life, as well as the other champions, please. Find the most secure part of this city and hide there,"

Lyra seemed worried. "I would not hide while you go to battle,"

"I'm not going to force you to, but I'm asking, please. I couldn't live with myself if he got hurt while Mark's asleep,"

Lyra held his gaze, then closed her eyes and nodded. "I will do as you say," She opened them again, approaching and putting a hand to his chest. "Just please come back to me safely," She lifted his mask, leaning in to give him a kiss. They stood there for a moment that seemed to stretch.

"I'll try my best," Donovan said, breaking away and brushing past her.

"Be careful Uncle!" Reqart called. Donovan waved at him as he lowered his mask, then followed his friends back into the palace.

Servants waited at the bottom of the steps with his armor. Next to them was Fangson. "I have given the orders my king," The blind Montre said, bowing. He presented the armor the servants held. "And brought this for you. I will go to the walls now, if it pleases you,"

Donovan nodded in thanks, pausing to let the servants approach. They began affixing the metal pieces, tightening the straps around his limbs. He didn't see Grace or the others, but knew where they were headed. After his breastplate was secured, Donovan held out his hand. A servant passed him his sword, which he buckled himself. After inspecting the armor, he turned to Fangson. "Go, see to the defenses," The Montre commander nodded and hurried away, his tail sweeping behind him.

The doors to the palace were hastily opened by Vashn knights. Donovan strolled past, emerging into the highest level of the city of Theemoth. One of the knights approached him, bowing low. "My king-"

"Did you see the other heroes pass this way?" Donovan said, surveying the street.

The knight nodded. "Yes my king, for a moment, then they disappeared in a cloud of smoke,"

"Teleporting, I've got to learn it at some point,"

"Please my king," The knight said, rising. The other ten came up behind him. "Allow us to escort you down, the city is in panic as word of the approaching army has quickly spread,"

Donovan considered it with a tilt of his head. "Fine, I don't need it, but I don't want to waste mana ordering everyone to back off. Follow me to the gate and then go to the walls,"

"Yes my king, at once," The knight nodded to his companions, who fanned out around the young man. Donovan started down the street, the knights ringing him and giving him space.

There weren't many refugees on the top level. Donovan saw a few faces in the windows, and a few watching from doorways. Other than that, the street was taken up by rushing soldiers and the occasional towering golem. They gave Donovan plenty of room as they headed for the walls.

The next level was a different story. As the group passed through the gate, cries reached Donovan's ears. He saw the street filled with people clamoring around each other as they rushed to their homes.

"The king!" A refugee yelled. "The king approaches!"

The crowd turned, running towards the knights and mobbing them. The warriors pushed through as Donovan continued walking. "Out of the way!" A knight yelled, shoving aside a merchant. "Make way! Make way for the king!"

"Save us!" The crowd called.

"There's too many!"

"Save us my king!"

Donovan simply nodded, the knights forcing a path through the crowd. The next level was even more crowded. This slowed their progress. As the mob threatened to overwhelm them, Donovan paused and took a deep breath. "OUT OF THE WAY!" He bellowed. "NOW!"

The power of his voice compelled the city's inhabitants to obey. They parted, opening up a narrow path down the street. Donovan motioned for the knights to continue. They passed people of every race and trade lining the street. Many hung from windows, or crowded doorways. Their voices rose as they shouted at Donovan, begging him to drive back the army and protect them. The young man gave them idle waves of acknowledgement as he walked.

Each level was the same, with more soldiers joining the knights to keep back the mobs. By the time they reached the bottom level, there were no more refugees to be seen, only warriors. They ran past Donovan and the knights towards the walls, calling out to one another. Above, Vashn warships positioned themselves in the air, and Belok's warriors flew about in groups.

Donovan passed through the large circular gate, descending the ramp towards the giant turtle-crab's back. Waiting on the shell was Grace, Babi, She-Joker, Seth and Justin. They turned as Donovan approached. The young man paused, waving away the knights, then continued towards them.

When he reached them he stopped, glancing out towards the horizon. The stone markers were no longer emitting electricity. Instead, faint smoke trailed off them, rising up in thin lines towards the sky. The guild warships and flyers made their way overhead, headed straight for Theemoth and the city of Agasul behind it.

"You decided to join us," Grace said, her tone hard and her expression focused.

"I did," Donovan said, staring at the guild army crossing the field. "Though I still think it's idiotic to do this,"

Grace turned without a word, heading for the ramp leading off the turtle-crab. Justin came up to Donovan and clapped his shoulder. "Good to have you with us,"

Seth nodded. "Yeah man, just like old times,"

"Yeah, almost," Donovan said, his face darkening. "Let's just hope we don't get killed out there,"

The heroes and Babi descended the ramp, reaching the field. They fanned out as they walked across it. Grace took the middle, leading them. Donovan walked on one side of her, while Babi walked on the other. Justin and Seth kept pace to the left of Donovan, and She-Joker walked next to Babi. The line of heroes crossed the field, wind buffeting their hair.

Figures broke away from the guild army, riding ahead. As they neared, Donovan saw they rode strange mounts. Some were lizard-like, while others appeared to be lions and other predators. Grace came to a stop and waited, prompting the others to do the same. The friends all watched the approaching riders, another gust blowing past them.

When the figures neared, they slowed their mounts, the creatures rearing up. The riders dismounted, walking across the field to the line of heroes. They stopped a stone's throw away. Donovan studied them.

The lead figure was a man wearing armor that vaguely resembled a gladiator's. He wore a helm, a battle-axe hanging from his side. Next to him stood a woman in a frilly shirt and puffy skirt, as well as a tilted hat with jewels set into it. On the other side of the gladiator was a bald man in a robe. His face was marked with black dots in a neat circle. There was also a shorter robed figure present, their features masked under a hood. On either end appeared to be twins, a man and a woman. Both were dressed in opulent plate armor, with runes and carvings set into the metal. They both held swords and shields. The shields had crests Donovan didn't recognize.

"Hevak," Grace called, her hair billowing in the wind. "Daisamay, Xerus," She turned her head slightly, regarding the others. "And those who follow you. Your army is not welcome in these lands, turn back now!"

The gladiator, Hevak, took of his helm, shaking his hair free. He laughed, then smiled at Grace as he opened his arms wide. "Well if it isn't the heroes of the Kingdom Alliance! Fancy finding you here!" His eyes found Donovan, his smile widening. "Ah, and you must be the anti-hero we've heard so much about!" He turned back to Grace. "So you stand with him?"

"We stand with the defenseless," Grace said, her grip tightening around her spear. "And those who need our help. It should be the same for you, but you and the guilds are long past that,"

Hevak covered his mouth with a gauntlet, bending over as he laughed. Straightening up, he pointed at Donovan. "He's defenseless? The anti-hero? The conqueror of Vashn? He destroyed the capital of Delfanas, and brought down the gates of Eo! Not to mention what he's done since being here. We found his little field of bodies, by the way. Thousands upon thousands of corpses. Tell me Saint Grace, how is standing with him helping those in need? Do you even hear yourself?"

"He's our friend," Justin called, tilting his head as he watched Hevak with a bemused expression. "A little rough around the edges, but we're going to try and help him with that," Donovan narrowed his eyes, but remained silent.

"Do not speak to me of destruction," Grace called, her tone steely. "We heard of the city your army plundered, and how you left no survivors. We will not let you continue in these lands, for destroying Eo will bring down this entire world,"

"Ha!" The woman, Daisamay said, putting her hands to her hips. "Don't tell you believe those legends! It's fooltalk idiots, stories told to keep adventurer's from trying to get inside here!"

"It is truth," Babi said, taking a step forward. "Don't try and discount the wisdom of generations of scholars! You're just greedy, wanting what lies here for yourself!"

"Oh and you don't?" Hevak said, hefting his axe onto his shoulder. "Am I supposed to believe you heroes are traveling with the anti-hero to, what was it? Stand with the defenseless?" Hevak tilted his head and spat, then scowled at Grace. "Get off your fucking pulpit, we see right through you,"

"Turn back now," Grace said, narrowing her eyes. "I won't say it again,"

Hevak frowned, as if thinking. He turned first to Daisamay, then the bald man Xerus. "Hmm, I don't think we will actually," Hevak raised his chin and grinned at the heroes. "I think we'll stay right here and destroy you, then both those cities. We'll claim this entire land for the guilds,"

Justin laughed. "Really Hevak? What makes you think we'll even let you return to your army? I could wipe the floor with you, hell, I could use you to wipe my ass and you couldn't do a thing about it,"

The gladiator scowled again, letting his axe fall from his shoulders and slam into the ground. "We're not diamond-tier rank anymore asshole. The guilds are changing, and are more powerful than they've ever been. We've trained every day for years, and now claim the rank of platinum adventurers. We're just as powerful as you,"

"I doubt that," Grace said. "Go back to your army and leave Eo, or I will kill you," She rammed her spear butt into the ground, leaving it there. "You will not destroy this world. You will not taint these lands,"

"How about this," Hevak said. He tilted his head towards Xerus. "Tell our forces to attack," Hevak's gaze found Grace again as he grinned. "We'll kill you here, and then do whatever we want,"

Grace roared, ripping her spear from the ground and charging Hevak. "Shit!" Justin yelled, drawing his sword. "Back her up!" He ran forward, Babi, Seth and She-Joker following. Donovan drew his weapon and hurried after them.

Throwing out her hand, Grace summoned dozens of geometric shapes. They appeared around her, rotating, then glowed. Before the spells activated, the robed figure blew past the other adventures, raising palms with strange black lines wrapped around them. Grace's spells fizzled, the geometric shapes disappearing. She screamed in anger, thrusting her spear at the robed figure. They ducked out of the way with ease, gliding backwards across the ground. Grace twirled her spear and charged after.

Justin ran up to Hevak, striking at him with his sword. The gladiator deflected the blows with his axe, then swung the weapon around in a wide sweep. Justin ducked, bringing up his sword and knocking Hevak back. "Give it up," Justin said, smirking. "I'm the greatest swordsman in the lands,"

"Keep talking," Hevak said, grinning. "That makes what comes next all the more sweeter,"

She-Joker skipped towards Xerus, stopping in front of him to wave. "Hello! I've seen you before!" The bald man threw out his sleeves, thin silver hooks erupting from his wrists. They were attached to silver lines, which twisted and zig-zagged through the air as they zeroed in on She-Joker. The colorful woman laughed, black flipping and unleashing a swarm of knives as the hooks chased after her.

Seth blurred across the ground, throwing up dirt behind him. He disappeared, reappearing over Daisamay and throwing down a fist. The woman let out a cry of joy, a glowing staff appearing in her hand. Thousands of tiny explosions appeared above her, throwing Seth up into the air. Daisamay cupped a hand to her mouth, watching as Seth began to fall back down. "You're not as fast as I remember! Perhaps you've lost your touch!"

Seth shrugged as he plummeted. "I was using a pretty nice ring before, and decided to branch out when I used my passive-" He never finished, throwing another punch as he neared Daisamay. She ducked out of the way, the ground she had occupied exploding from the force of Seth's punch. He landed, finding her aiming her staff again. Seth ran low to the ground as he chased after her, ducking and weaving the explosions she summoned.

Babi flicked both wrists as she charged the woman in opulent plate armor. Spears made of light appeared in her hands, which Babi used to swing at the head of her opponent. The armored woman brought up her shield, shoving it forward and forcing Babi to spin out of the way. The Saint stopped, digging her foot into the ground for leverage. Exploding across the ground, Babi brought in her light-spears and began a flurry of attacks on her opponent's shield.

Donovan neared the armored man, who watched him with narrowed eyes. The young man stopped, pointing at him. "Kill yourself," The man froze, his eyes going wide. His sword trembled as he brought it up towards his neck. A flash of black smoked spread out above his head. The robed figure dropped down from the cloud onto the man's shoulder, balancing as they straightened up. The figure pointed at Donovan. The young man felt something tug at his chest, then a force ripping through his pores, as if draining him. His HUD flashed yellow, indicating he had no more mana.

"What the-!" Donovan yelled, stumbling backwards. The robed figure patted the armored man's head, then disappeared in another cloud of black smoke. A second later, Grace barreled him over as she charged after the robed figure with a scream.

Donovan steadied himself, holding a hand to his head. The armored man slowly got back up, readjusting his grip on his sword. He nodded at Donovan. "No more of that, so let's see how long you last with just your sword,"

"Oh…fuck," Donovan said. He held his sword with both hands, planting his feet in the ground. The armored man brought his shield up and charged. He moved with unnatural speed, blurring as he approached. Donovan's martial ability activated, time slowing down around him. He had a moment to move his eyes and take in the battlefield.

The guild army was in the process of encircling them, giving the adventurers and heroes plenty of room as they charged past in slow motion. The warriors were headed straight for Theemoth and Agasul. Above them, guild warships and flyers swarmed towards the cities, the sky filled with explosions that slowly expanded.

Donovan turned his attention back to the armored man just as he came in reach. The young man brought up his sword and swung it with all his might. At the same time, his opponent thrust his shield forward, knocking Donovan with incredible power and sending him into a slow-motion fall. The armored man brought down his sword with his other hand. Donovan hit the ground, rolling away as the sword embedded in the earth mere inches from where his head had been.

Elsewhere, Grace played a game of chase with the robed figure. She continued trying to cast spells, which her opponent canceled with waves of their hand. Grace grit her teeth, lunging forward with her spear. She blurred as she threw herself into the attack, the spear point jabbing a hundred times in the blink of an eye. The robed figure was just as fast, ducking, dodging and weaving to avoid the weapon. Grace's spear caught the hem of their robe. She jerked it back, tearing the fabric. The robed figure jumped backwards, skidding across the ground.

Grace straightened up, pointing her spear at them. "I've seen you before," The robe figure didn't move, simply staring at her from within their hood. Grace twirled her spear as she continued closing the distance. "Yes, now I remember, back in Lerone, in a dungeon," She stopped, pointing the weapon at them. "I didn't like you then, didn't like the feeling I got from you," She waited for a response. The robe figure simply stood there, lowered in a stance. "Well?" Grace said, resuming walking towards them. "Nothing to say? No matter, you'll be screaming by the time we're through,"

The robed figure clapped their hands together. A wall of air blew forward, tearing up dirt in its path. Grace bent her knees and flipped over it. She straightened out, the sun glinting off her armor, then fell back down with a battle cry. The robe figure leapt back as Grace landed, rippling the ground around her.

A ways away, Justin locked weapons with Hevak. The two men circled each other, raining down blows and sending the echo of metal on metal through the air. Faster and faster they attacked, their blades blurring. They both reared back, swinging with all their might. The sword and axe impacted against each other, sending Hevak and Justin flying in opposite directions. Justin hit the ground, forming ruts with his boots as he slid to a stop. Hevak did the same, bringing up his axe.

"Not bad Hevak!" Justin called, wiping sweat from his brow. He raised an eyebrow. "If you'd been this good a while back, you might have been able to save…oh, what was his name again?"

Hevak grit his teeth. "Elrey you fucking asshole. And I know you had something to do with his death!" He took a step forward, bringing up his axe. "Tell me what you said to him that night! Tell me damn you!"

Justin pursed his lips, putting a hand to his chin. "You know, I don't remember. Whatever it was, it must have shaken him up! He died screaming after all…"

The gladiator yelled with anger and charged. Justin's expression turned serious, grass flying as he sprinted to meet him.

Their blows echoed towards She-Joker as she danced around Xerus. The colorful woman paused, putting a hand to her ear. "Oh wow, they're really going at it!" She ducked as dozens of silver hooks shot by, their strings growing taunt. Xerus threw his arms to the side, bringing the hooks around in a wide circle. She-Joker spun low to the ground, continuing her momentum and twirling towards the bald man like a top. She held out her arms, knives flying from her sleeves. They raced towards Xerus. He brought up his leg, then stomped the silver strings, holding them in front of him like a harp. The knives clattered off them, falling to the ground.

She-Joker straightened up and cartwheeled forward. Xerus drove both his fists down, the hooks retracting in the blink of an eye. She-Joker paused, tilting to the side as the silver blades flew past her. She put both hands to the ground and flipped through the air. The bald man threw out one arm, then the other, the hooks launching forth from his sleeves. She-Joker whipped out a club, spinning in the air and knocking them aside. She landed in a pose, then charged Xerus.

Seth continued his own fight, punching the air and ground as Daisamay weaved out of the way. She brought up her staff, explosions trailing outward in a line. Seth blurred out of the way, reappearing next to her and bringing his hands together. He caught her staff between his palms, splintering it into pieces. Daisamay's eyes went wide, then she grinned and stomped the ground. The grass bubbled underneath Seth, forcing him to jump out of the way as fire erupted upward. He landed and tumbled across the grass, coming to a kneeling stop.

"Aww," Daisamay said, inspecting the end of her staff. "This was a gift!" She tossed it over her shoulder, bringing her hands together and working her fingers. "But I'm platinum rank now, and don't really need it," She pointed at Seth and bent her thumb. Balls of fire bloomed forth from her hand, raining down around the man. He shielded himself with his arms, then rolled to the side as the barrage continued. He threw his foot into the ground, stopping, then sprinted towards her with his hands held out. Seth swung one arm, then another, forcing Daisamay back. She frowned, then pointed again, starting a new round of explosions.

Further down the field, Babi rained light-spears on her opponent. She waved her hand, the geometric shapes appearing in a wave. The light-spears continued to pour forth. The armored woman held up her shield as Babi's attacks struck. The spears imbedded, filling the shield like a pin cushion. The armored woman grunted, then dug her heels into the ground and charged. She held out her sword, spell shapes surrounding Babi. The Saint had only a moment to throw herself out of the way as jagged iron spikes rapidly expanded from the geometric shapes.

Babi straightened up, then flicked her wrists. A light-spear appeared in each palm. Gripping them, she charged, ducking to the side as the armored woman swung. Babi came back up, lashing out with her weapons. Her opponent swung her shield around, knocking the light-spears out of the Saint's hands. Babi narrowed her eyes and flicked her wrists, summoning two more.

Donovan could hear the sounds of his friends fighting as he struggled against his foe. The sword shook in his hands, his arms aching from each blow the armored man delivered. Donovan gave up on blocking, changing his strategy to evasion. His martial ability was still active, allowing him to dodge side-to-side as the armored man thrust with his sword. Donovan lunged forward, driving in his saber with all his might. The armored man twisted away, bringing his shield around. The metal object caught Donovan in the side, sending him sprawling.

He hit the ground, his mask tearing from his face. Donovan spat, then pushed himself up. He found his sword, bringing up it as the armored man barreled down on him. The young man had just enough time to lash out with all his might, forcing his opponent to bring in his sword. Donovan's weapon shook in his hand from the blow, forcing him backwards. The armored man stumbled back as well, then found his footing.

"Not bad for someone who clearly has no training," The man said, knocking his sword against his shield. He aimed the point at Donovan and approached. "Let's see how long you can keep it up,"

Grace's roar echoed through the air. She brought down her spear again and again as she lunged after the robed figure. Her opponent's movements were like a river, their sleeves flowing side to side as they danced around her. The robed figure stopped, clapping their hands and sending three successive walls of air. Grace blurred as she drove her weapon forward, blowing through the walls and scattering them. The robed figure disappeared in a cloud of smoke as she neared, reappearing behind her. Grace spun, whipping her spear out and catching the tip of her opponent's hood. She continued the motion, ripping the fabric. The hood fell back to reveal a polished glass skull. The figure jumped back, then slowly brought up their hands, sliding the hood back over its head.

Grace narrowed her eyes. "What are you,"

The figure brought up a finger to its hood, signaling for silence. Grace responded by driving her feet into the earth and charging.

Justin continued his duel, his sword hammering down on Hevak's axe. Beads of sweat trickled down the gladiator's face, his expression totally concentrated. Justin made to swing, stopping at the last moment and ducking down. He brought up the hilt of his sword, catching Hevak in the chin. The gladiator stumbled back. Justin took a step forward, bringing down in sword. Hevak caught his footing at the last moment, shifting to the side. He cried out, blood sailing through the air. Hevak's ear landed on the ground.

Justin raised his sword and pointed it at him. Hevak breathed heavily, taking a moment to glance around. Justin did the same. She-Joker laughed as she spun on the tips of her toes. The two men watched as Xerus threw out his hooks. The colorful woman swept her hat off her head, holding it out and launching backwards as the blades entered the fabric. She bunched up the hat, trapping the hooks inside, then used her free hand to grab the attached lines. She-Joker stomped on the string, pinning it to the ground, then gripped the lines she held in her hand. The colorful woman brought it up with all her strength, sending Xerus into the air on the other end. With the same motion she brought it back down, slamming the bald man into the earth.

"No!" Hevak yelled. His gaze shifted, watching as Babi flipped over the shield of the armored woman and drove spears into both the adventurer's shoulders. The saint straightened up, putting her palms to the ends and driving the spears further in. The armored woman collapsed. "Dammit!" Hevak yelled, stomping the ground.

Seth continued chasing after Daisamay, who had a panicked expression on her face. Her explosions were hurried as she tried to remain ahead of him.

Donovan had taken to simply evading the armored man, finding his martial ability just fast enough to allow him to duck away from each blow. He bided his time, waiting for an opening, though his breathing was ragged.

Hevak snarled, looking back at Justin as he gripped his headwound. Blood seeped through his fingers. "Fall back!" The gladiator yelled, raising his axe in the air. "Fall back!"

Daisamay stumbled backwards, falling to the ground with a scream. As Seth brought a punch down on top of her, the woman disappeared in a cloud of black smoke. Another black cloud appeared next to Hevak. The robed figure emerged from it, gripping Daisamay in one arm. They put the other arm around the gladiator. Hevak allowed it, scowling at Justin. "You're fucking dead," The trio disappeared in a dark puff.

Donovan skidded backwards as the armored man finally caught up. He brought up his sword, deflecting his opponent's weapon. The armored man threw out his shield, but staggered instead. He coughed up blood, falling to one knee. Donovan watched in confusion as the armored man collapsed forward.

Grace stood behind him, her spear sticking out of his back. She walked over the body, ripping out the weapon and holding out her hand to Donovan. "Come on, we need to move,"

Donovan blinked, then took her hand. She hefted him up, then brushed dirt from his shoulder pauldrons. "Thanks," Donovan began, but wasn't able to finish. The ground around them trembled, a noise building in the air. He and Grace looked around them.

Thousands upon thousands of adventurers were closing in. The heroes were surrounded, spells shapes appearing above them in the air. "No," Grace whispered, her eyes widening.

Fire, water, rocks and ice rained down around them. Donovan watched as adventurers swarmed over She-Joker, piling on top of her with their bodies and hacking with weapons. Justin was also mobbed, his sword flashing as he tried to keep the adventurers back. Babi summoned light-spear after light-spear, but was forced to the ground as ice spells pummeled down on top of her.

"No!" Grace screamed, gripping her spear. "Seth! Get Donovan to safety!" She roared, exploding forward and carving a trench through the ground. Her spear lashed out, sending up a wave of screaming bodies. Grace leapt into the air, her spearpoint flashing. The thrown bodies seized up, blood exploding from them as they tumbled back down. Grace landed, driving herself into a horde of adventures and cutting them down.

Donovan watched in horror as warriors closed in on him. He was frozen to the ground, watching as more and more adventurers piled on his friends. Grace continued to send up waves of bodies as she fought her way to the others. Donovan turned, watching a sword near his face in slow motion.

Seth erupted through the adventurers, his face smeared in blood. He slammed into Donovan, wrapping his arms around him. The young man felt his world shift, then everything blurred.

The blur continued, until it abruptly stopped. Donovan blinked his eyes, his head spinning. He collapsed, dry-heaving as he tried to find his balance. When he could finally focus, the young man looked around.

He was back on the balcony at the top of Theemoth. Seth stood next to him, his hands on his knees as he caught his breath. The man straightened up, blood dripping from his face. He gave Donovan a weak smile. "Hey man, it was nice knowing you," Seth disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

"NO!" Donovan yelled, stumbling towards the cloud. His hands grasped nothing but air. Donovan slammed his fists on the ground. "NO! NO NO NO!" He reared back and peered up into the sky, dazed.

Above him, Vashn warships and Belok's warriors clashed with the guild ships and flying creatures. Explosions lit up the sky as the ships exchanged spell fire and cannonballs. Donovan's winged warriors and the guild creatures tangled, wings flapping wildly as they struggled against each other.

The young man slowly got to his feet. He approached the railing of the balcony, putting his hands to it and gazing out over the city.

The lower level was in flames. Donovan could see the adventurers had breached the outer wall, and now fought their way up towards the next level. They filled the streets completely, a never-ending river of warriors. The second-level gate was destroyed, Donovan's own forces struggling to defend the breach. Adventures scaled the second wall, driving Vashn soldiers back and tumbling over the other side.

Donovan's gaze shifted towards the field. It was one giant black mass, he couldn't even see the grass. Hopelessness gripped him as he searched for his friends. He could make out tiny explosions in the guild army. Grace, or maybe one of the others, fighting with all their might.

"no," Donovan whispered, sinking to his knees. He shook his head. "no…"

"Uncle!" A voice cried.

"Master!"

"My king!"

Donovan turned his head. Reqart ran with all his might across the balcony, Tokroaka, Lyra and Princess Ninja following after. The boy fell down next to him, shaking Donovan. "Uncle! Where's Aunt Grace! Where's Babi! Where are they!"

Donovan didn't answer, staring at Reqart with a hollowed expression. "My king!" Lyra said, falling down on the other side of him. "We must leave this city!"

"It's true," Tokaroaka said, his voice muffled behind his mask. "We cannot hold it, they will reach the palace before long,"

"no," Donovan whispered. "my friends…"

"Forget them!" Lyra yelled, gripping his shoulders. "We will be slaughtered if we stay!"

His mind went back to the battle, memories flooding it. She-Joker saving him from the Guardians. Justin saying he was their friend, and that they cared about him. Grace killing the armored man. Seth teleporting him away.

"No!" Donovan yelled, struggling to his feet.

"Uncle…" Reqart said, remaining on his knees. He slowly clasped Donovan's cape, his eyes brimming with tears. "Please…save them…"

Donovan glanced around wildly. What could he do? He didn't have any mana left. The young man turned on Tokaroaka, pointing. "Is there a way to transfer mana!"

The sorcerer took a step back, clearly surprised. "Well…yes, there is a spell, but it requires two willing-"

Dropping down next to Reqart, Donovan placed both hands to the boy's shoulders. "You said you wanted to help, right?"

Reqart nodded, tears falling from his face. "Anything…I'll do anything,"

Donovan stared intently at the boy. "Then give me all your mana,"

Reqart stared a beat, then wiped away his tears with the back of his hand. He nodded. "Okay, I'll do it! You can have it!"

"Tokaroaka!" Donovan yelled.

The sorcerer stepped forward, placing a hand on Reqart's shoulder. He put the other on Donovan's. "This is…dangerous, my king,"

"Just do it! Reqart has a HUD, it will stop the spell before it kills him!"

Tokaroaka took a deep breath, then murmured the words to the spell. The air around Donovan and Reqart shifted. The end of Tokaroaka's hands glowed red, then white and blue energy flowed around Reqart. It launched forth from his chest, surging into Donovan. The young man was knocked back against the railing.

The energy continued to flow into him. Donovan struggled against it, feeling every cell in his body exploding with power. Finally the white and blue light died. Reqart collapsed backwards, unconscious.

Donovan struggled to his feet, Lyra and Tokaroaka rushing to help him. "Go!" Donovan yelled, pushing them away. "Get Reqart to safety!" Both the Erie woman and the sorcerer stared at him a beat, then turned and bent down to pick up Reqart. "Tokaroaka," Donovan said, putting a hand to his head as he felt the mana flow through him. The sorcerer paused, turning his mask. Donovan pointed at him. "Amplify my voice,"

The sorcerer nodded. He waved his hand through the air, mumbling words to a spell. A glowing triangle appeared in the air over the railing. Donovan turned to it and took a deep breath, collecting his thoughts.

"REFUGEES OF THEEMOTH," he screamed, the glowing triangle sending out his words like a storm. "LISTEN TO MY VOICE. COME OUT OF YOUR HOUSES! COME OUT OF YOUR HIDING PLACES! KILL THE ADVENTURERS! RIP THEM APART LIKE ANIMALS! TEAR THEM WITH YOUR TEETH LIKE BEASTS! LEAP ON THEM! BASH THEM INTO THE GROUND! DO NOT STOP UNTIL EVERYONE BELONGING TO THE GUILD IS DEAD!"

Donovan stopped, breathing heavily. His body glowed, his HUD appearing and flashing yellow. He watched his mana meter drain. The sounds of battle dimmed below him, then a new sound started up.

The young man gripped the railing and looked out over the city. Doors slammed open and windows shattered as shapes leapt out of them. Carts were overturned and shingles slid from rooftops. The streets slowly filled, the entire city shaking. Donovan could make out tens of thousands of figures rushing like a river, jumping over each other and falling back down. The city continued to shake.

Donovan stared at the glowing triangle. "BELOK!" He shouted. "TO ME!" The young man took a step back and waited. After a few moments, a shadow fell over him. The giant gargoyle landed on the railing in front of Donovan, the stone cracking under his claws. One of Belok's wings was torn, and arrows stuck out all over his body. Dark blood seeped down, dripping on the railing.

"Yes master," He said, gazing down at him.

Donovan stared back up at the gargoyle. "Take me down over my city," He pointed at the plains where the guild army gathered. "Find my friends!"

The gargoyle nodded. He flapped his wings, lifting up in the air, then picked up Donovan in his claws. Dangling in the air, the young man looked down, swallowing as realized how high he was. Belok flapped twice, then soared down.

They flew over the streets, the wind tearing through Donovan's hair. Refugees surged along, men, women and children. Many of them dropped to all fours as they sprinted.

Belok carried Donovan over the walls, past the different levels of the city. As they neared the bottom layer, the young man watched as the refugees impacted against the adventurers. The warriors cried out in alarm as their limbs were torn from their bodies. The refugees were unrelenting, climbing over them and ripping off their armor. Mobs of children weighed down adventurers, biting into them with their teeth. Elderly men and women jumped down from roofs, landing on the backs of the warriors and bashing them with their fists. Men held warriors as women disemboweled them with their bare hands. Screams rose up from the streets as the adventurers were overcome.

The wave didn't end. The refugees continued to sprint at full speed, groups of them stopping to tear apart any foe they found. They burst forth from the main gate of Theemoth, the force of their movements pushing the adventurers from the shell of the turtle-crab. The warriors cried out as they plummeted to the ground.

Belok flew through the air, carrying Donovan over the carnage. The young man watched as the horde of refugees tore down the ramp into the army waiting in the plains.

"There!" Donovan yelled, pointing down among the guild army. He caught glimpses of spells and the flash of metal. He could see Grace at the top of a pile of adventurers, her spear driving down as they clamored up towards her. The thundering horde of refugees leapt like animals onto the army, ripping into them with an unnatural frenzy.

The adventure's battle lines seemed to waver. Horns began blowing. Confused yells rang out, followed by screams. The rear of the guild army broke into a retreat, the rest following.

The refugees didn't stop.

They continued, tackling the retreating warriors and driving them to the ground in waves. Limbs flew into the air as the refugees savagely attacked. Belok brought Donovan down towards the ground. The young man watched as the pile of adventurers fighting towards Grace was pushed over. They screamed as the refugees washed over them.

Donovan's feet touched the ground, Belok letting go. He surveyed the battlefield as the gargoyle landed beside him. Cries rose up as horns continued to blow. Donovan saw Grace freeze as men, women and children tore past her, lighting into the adventurers and pulling their limbs from their bodies. She-Joker slowly rose from another pile of corpses, her clothes torn and her skin covered in blood. Seth rose up as well, followed by Justin and Babi. All of them could barely stand, their clothes and armor drenched in red. Their turned around in slow circles, watching the refugees surge around them.

Grace's gaze fell on Donovan. The others did as well, regarding him with bewildered and shocked expressions.

Donovan stared back at them, his face dark. He slowly turned, watching as the horde of refugees swept over the retreating guild army.

The cries continued, drifting up into the air.

Last edited:
Well, I just human wave tactics can work out if you have enough bodies. Hate to see how many refugees fell for every adventurer though. At least they will need less food.

Ahh the good old "If we throw enough bodies at the enemy they will drown in blood" tactic. Glad to see that it still works even in a fantasy land.

Inside my head, If It was a game:

1) Stay and save your friends
2) Flee. This Fight is lost
*clicked 1*

Event result: "The King's Voice is the Will of Heaven" Sucess! You've saved your friend. The guild flees.
- Grace and the others are alive.
- Reputation with Grace lowered. *Ding* you've reached "forever irredeemable" Rank with Grace. *Ding* Unlock success: "Enemy of the Hero Grace".
- X% of total refugees lost.
- Reputation with common folks lowered.
- ???
- ???

This reminds me of when I was playing Mount and Blade Warband with max stats and skills but I got killed by peasants cause they backed me into a corner and stunlocked me

Weird that he would command the refugees to attack instead of commanding the Adventurers to kill themselves. Is there a reason for that, because right now it just seems like unnecessary cruelty to me?

Weird that he would command the refugees to attack instead of commanding the Adventurers to kill themselves. Is there a reason for that, because right now it just seems like unnecessary cruelty to me?
the adventurers have varying magical resistence, and would have taken a bunch of MC's mana at that scale, whereas the refugees have zero magical resistence (well most of them)

Just a heads up I will be spending the next 4-5 days traveling so the last 2 episodes of the Help! Isekai will preview sporadically over the weekend. This is it guys! Let's see how the end of season 2 plays out

Episode 11: Journey to Madness
Wind buffeted Donovan's hair as he walked across the field, a second gust tugging at his cloak. He was surrounded by corpses. Adventurers, tradesmen, farmers, elderly, and…Donovan closed his eyes. His boots sunk into the earth as he made his way towards Theemoth. He wouldn't look. Couldn't look. It was too much to think about.

"Donovan!" A voice yelled. He ignored it, his eyes still closed as he walked. "DONOVAN!"

The young man paused, opening his eyes. He could sense Belok behind him, but it wasn't the giant gargoyle who had called his name. Donovan slowly turned. Grace was storming towards him, her hair matted with blood. She gripped her spear tightly. Behind her, Justin and Babi supported Seth and She-Joker as they stepped over bodies.

Grace came to a stop in front of Donovan. A small corpse lay between them, heaped over the body of a dismembered adventurer. Grace's expression was furious. "What. Have. You. Done."

"I did what needed to be done to save you," Donovan said, his voice monotone, his expression empty.

"What you did…" Grace said, her shoulders shaking. "Goes against EVERYTHING we've dedicated our lives too! You sacrificed innocents for us!" She gripped her blood-stained hair. "It's supposed to be the OTHER way AROUND!"

Donovan's gaze fell to the child's corpse between them. "I'm not like you," he said, turning away.

Grace's hand shot out, grabbing his shoulder and pushing him back to face her. "DON'T turn your back on me! We are NOT done talking!" Seth and Justin reached them, stopping a respectable distance from the pair as Justin held up Seth. Babi helped She-Joker until they stood directly behind Grace. The saint's expression was clearly shell-shocked, and all four of them were covered in blood, their clothing and armor torn. Grace's expression was still etched with fury. "What you did was unforgivable, using your power to control people and…send them to their deaths…"

Donovan nodded, still feeling empty. "Very well," He said, making to turn.

"No!" Grace yelled, her hand reaching out again. She found her way blocked by Belok's arm. The giant gargoyle peered down at her, exhaling through his nostrils.

"Master," Belok said, shifting his gaze towards Donovan. "Would you like me to carry you back now…"

Donovan didn't respond at first. He and Grace stared at each other, she in anger, he with a blank expression. "No," He said, his voice low. "I think I'll walk," Donovan turned and resumed making his way towards Theemoth. He continued stepping over corpses, both adventurer and refugee. The full weight of what he had done began to press down on him, and his response was to block out the tsunami of feelings.

"DONOVAN!" Grace yelled.

He didn't turn, Justin's voice drifting over his shoulder. "Grace, She-Joker needs help, Seth too. Let's get them back to the city, the-,"

"No! Look around you Justin! Are you blind! Do you not see I see! He sent innocent people to be slaughtered!"

Donovan closed his eyes tightly, nearly tripping over another corpse. Belok's large hand closed around his shoulder, keeping him upright. Donovan continued on, Justin's voice growing distant. "Grace…I…we just need to help our friends, then we'll talk. She-Joker can hardly stand, and look at Babi,"

A Vashn warship impacted into the ground in the distance, clearly unable to stay airborne. The ground trembled, giving Donovan pause. He waited, his attention drawn by movement. An adventurer dragged himself across the ground, crying out for help in a weak voice. Donovan watched as a woman in torn clothing broke away from a group of refugees. She sprinted over, scooping up a stone from the earth. The young man froze, watching wide-eyed as she lifted the rock over her head, then brought it down with all her might on the adventurer. Her expression was strained, her eyes hollowed. The adventurer jerked, then stopped moving.

Donovan stood still as blood trickled around his feet. Belok scratched himself. "Master…" Nodding slowly, the young man placed one foot in front of the other, willing himself forward. He continued towards Theemoth.

The ramp leading up towards the shell of the turtle-crab was littered with bodies. Belok moved ahead of Donovan, sweeping away the corpses with his good wing, as well as his claws. A helmet fell loose, rolling down past the young man. He watched it hit the bottom, the metal sound echoing up towards him. Donovan stared for a beat, then raised his gaze to survey the field.

A large black mass moved around the grass. It was disorganized, groups of figures breaking away and stumbling. Donovan guessed his orders had been completed, and now the command was wearing off. It would only be a matter of time before the refugees returned to the city. Or at least, what was left of them.

Donovan resumed his slow trek up the ramp. Belok waited for him at the top. The giant gargoyle had also taken a moment to survey the field. As the young man reached him, Belok pointed outward with a wing. "Our enemies are defeated my king, and you have lived to see it. That is all that matters,"

"I'm afraid that's not true Belok," Donovan murmured, passing the gargoyle. "But only time will give clarity to that,"

Once through the ruined gate, the young man passed heaps of bodies. Vashn soldiers were busy piling them, both refugee and adventurer. Anything of value was stripped. The soldiers paused as Donovan passed, nodding to him.

"My king," One of them called. He raised his spear. "We have victory!"

"Hm," Donovan said, barely acknowledging him.

"Get back to work," Belok said, his voice rumbling. "Have these bodies burning in the field by sundown,"

The soldiers shared glances. "Commander Fangson said we are to make-"

"I do not care what Fangson said, just get these bodies out of sight,"

The soldiers nodded, one of them pointing towards the gate. The others called to nearby warriors for help. They lifted corpses and began hauling them towards the smashed entrance. Birds of prey circled overhead, filling the air with their caws.

Donovan passed the dead as he climbed. The other levels were empty, save the occasional group of Rook assassins or Vashn knights. They all paused in their work to bow towards the young man as he passed. He didn't acknowledge them, continuing towards the palace.

When he reached the opulent stone structure wrapped around the base of the tree, Donovan paused. He gazed up at it. It was still, seemingly empty. Flags flapped lazily in the wind. Donovan climbed the stairs to the entrance. There were no Montre guarding it, so he waited as Belok pulled the doors open for him.

Donovan heard a voice as he entered. It echoed through the hall, as did the sound of hurried footsteps. "Uncle!" Reqart, as well as Lyra, Princess Ninja and Tokaroaka rushed towards him. His nephew stopped in front of him, hugging him tightly. The boy looked up at Donovan, clearly worried. "What happened! Are Aunt Grace and the others alright?"

Nodding, Donovan patted his shoulder, though his expression was still empty. "Yes," He said, his voice barely above a whisper. "They're wounded, but…I imagine they'll be healed soon enough,"

"My king!" Lyra said, coming up behind Reqart. She seemed elated. "We saw everything! None can doubt your power now!"

"No," Donovan said, not meeting her gaze. "I don't imagine they can," He patted Reqart's shoulder again, then brushed past them.

Tokaroaka cleared his throat, the sound muffled behind his grotesque mask. "Master, we received word from Agasul moments ago. They wish to meet,"

"Very well," Donovan said, walking slowly across the hall as his footsteps echoed. "I'll meet with them. But first, I need a bath. Have a servant lead me to one, if you would,"

Belok followed. Donovan could feel the eyes of the others as exhaustion weighed him down. "Uncle!" Reqart called, rushing to catch up with him. "You used your magic to control the puppets! Lyra told me it was amazing!"

"Puppets," Donovan repeated. "I thought your father didn't want you using that word,"

"Well," Reqart said, walking next to him. His expression was conflicted. "I…know, I just forgot,"

Donovan nodded, more to himself than anyone. "You seemed to have recovered, I was worried when you collapsed after you gave me your mana,"

Reqart straightened up, puffing out his chest. "I'm fine uncle, I told you I could help,"

"That you did, and I couldn't have done it without you. Grace and the others are saved because of you,"

"I want to have magic like you! I want to defeat enemies and be powerful!"

Donovan's shoulders sagged slightly as he reached the far doors. An Orga servant slipped from a side entrance, bowing her head as she approached. Tokaroaka's voice carried from behind Donovan. "The king wishes to bathe, lead him to the chamber and gather more servants,"

The young man turned to Reqart, a sad expression on his face. "You don't want these powers Reqart. I don't think Grace considers me a friend anymore,"

"Why?" Reqart said, confused.

"It's…complicated. Now, if you wouldn't mind, go with Lyra. She'll watch over you until the others arrive. You'll want to be here when they do,"

The boy still looked confused, but slowly nodded. "Alright…I will,"

Donovan turned and gestured weakly at the servant. "Take me to the baths," The Orga bowed and turned. The young man followed her through the side entrance. Past a curved hall, they entered into a long promenade lined with columns. Small gardens grew on either side. A group of servants was gathered in one, huddled together as they whispered. Their whispers died as Donovan and the Orga passed.

"The king wishes to bathe," The servant called, motioning them over. "Come at once and help him," The servants rushed over, falling into step behind Donovan and the Orga. They left the promenade and entered a wide chamber with a low ceiling. Mosaic tiles adorned the floors, walls, and ceilings. In the center was a large pool with statues around the edge. Donovan stopped before it, peering into the water. The Orga turned to face the other servants. "You four go down and heat the furnace. The rest of you stay here and help the king undress,"

Donovan continued to stare down at the water as he thoughts whirled around in his head. Steam began to rise off the surface. Two of the servants approached, one reaching out and unbuckling his armor plating.

"Stand back," A voice said. "I will assist the king,"

The young man turned, watching Lyra approach. The servants bowed and backed away. "I thought I asked you to stay with Reqart," Donovan said, turning back to the water.

"The other heroes have arrived, and he is with them now," Lyra said, her voice soft. The words echoed across the pool. She came up behind Donovan, her hands reaching out and gently unclasping the latches to his breastplate. It sagged, then Lyra slid it off. Donovan remained motionless as she moved around him and undid the rest of the armor.

Servants approached with rags as Lyra set the last of the metal pieces on the floor. She took a step back, allowing them to wash the blood from Donovan's face and hands. Once they were done, the young man walked down the steps into the heated water, ripples trailing out across the surface. He kept walking until he reached the other side, slowly turning and leaning back against the ledge. Donovan closed his eyes.

He heard Lyra's footsteps as she walked around the edge of the pool. The Erie queen knelt down behind him, laying out across the tiles and propping herself up with an elbow. Servants hastened to bring her cushions. Lyra rubbed his shoulder with her free hand as Donovan kept his eyes closed. "You did well my king," Donovan didn't respond. She continued caressing his shoulder, moving her fingers to his arm. After a while, footsteps caused him to open his eyes.

Grace entered the pool, flanked by Justin, Seth, Babi, She-Joker and Reqart. The heroes still wore their armor, and were splattered with blood. Seth and She-Joker seemed able to stand. A part of Donovan guessed someone had healed them, or perhaps they'd cast the spells on each other. Servants approached, silently undoing their armor and undressing them. Justin smiled in thanks, as did Seth. Grace didn't move as she allowed the servants to slip her breastplate from her shoulders. She gazed at Donovan with a stony expression.

The servants washed the blood from their faces as Reqart leapt into the pool. He laughed as he surfaced, seemingly unaware of the tension in the room. When the servants had finished, Grace walked purposely into the water, the others following. Lyra slowly got up, standing behind Donovan. The heroes waded across the pool until Grace stopped a distance in front of the young man. She didn't bother covering herself, instead lifting her chin as she regarded Donovan.

"She-Joker," Donovan said, nodding slightly. "Seth. You seem to have recovered from your wounds,"

"Yeah," Seth said, awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "We uh…we took care of it,"

"We need to talk," Grace said, her tone low.

Lyra shifted behind Donovan. "The king is resting, you will have time to speak with him later,"

Grace's eyes shifted up to the queen, her expression still hardened. "I was not addressing you," She turned back to Donovan. "What you did during that battle was unforgivable,"

"He saved you," Lyra said, a hard edge in her voice. "The city would have been lost had he not done what he did,"

"I was not addressing you!" Grace yelled.

The volume caused Reqart to flinch. He swam up to her, concerned. "Aunt Grace? Uncle says you might not be his friend anymore, but please don't be angry with him,"

"Grace," Justin said, clearly pained. "Maybe we shouldn't do this in front of Reqart,"

"No," Grace said, narrowing her eyes. "He needs to know exactly what kind of person Donovan is. Someone who uses his power to hurt others, and force innocents to do his will,"

Reqart's concern grew as he continued looking at her. "But, he saved you…"

"No," Grace said, briefly glancing down at Reqart. "He didn't. He traded thousands of lives for a few. A terrible price that should not have been paid,"

"Well…" Reqart said, tilting his head. "They're just…puppets Aunty Grace, it's okay. They'll come back,"

Grace grew red with fury. She gestured at Reqart as her eyes bore holes into Donovan's. "Look what you've done to him! Look what you've taught a child! You've corrupted him, on top of everything else you've done! Do not you not feel shame! Are you so far gone that this is okay to you!"

"I…" Donovan began. Seth turned away, and Justin frowned. She-Joker looked worried, but Babi stared at him with the same angered expression Grace wore.

"No! You look ashamed, but are you really! Do I have to explain to you why what you did was wrong!"

Donovan shook his head, meeting her gaze. "No, you don't. But it's over Grace. I can't bring back the dead…"

"No," Grace said, taking a step forward in the water. "You can't, and I do not know whether to kill you, or hand you over to the survivors for them to do it themselves,"

"Enough," Lyra said. Donovan could feel her towering over him. "The Guardians of Agasul wish to meet, and my king has agreed. You are free to leave at any time,"

Grace tilted her head as she eyed Lyra. "One more word out of you, one more word from a lost soul defending a monster, and I will take your tongue. We are not leaving. There will be justice for what has happened,"

"Grace…" Justin began.

She turned on him, pointing a finger in his face. "Do. Not. Defend him. I will not be made the enemy here. You know as well as I do his sins. We have allowed them go on long enough,"

Donovan moved away from the ledge, straightening up in the water. Grace slowly turned to face him, as did the others. "I would ask that you allow them to continue a bit longer," He said, his voice a murmur. "I'm going to heal Mark, and get Reqart's mother back. Then you can do with me whatever you want,"

Grace scowled at him, her hand curling into a fist above the water. "We don't need you for that,"

"You're wrong," Lyra said, defiant. "You could not command King Donovan's armies, and only they will get you further into Eo,"

Grace made to respond, but Donovan cleared his throat. "Grace, I'm not arguing with you. You want justice, you can have it. Just let me heal Mark first,"

Silence descended on the pool. Everyone stared at Donovan as he gazed down into the water. Finally Grace inhaled slowly, then exhaled. "You think you're buying yourself time-"

"I'm not,"

"No, you're not. You will give us your armies, and you will accompany us as far as we need until we find a way to help Reqart's parents. Then I myself will decide your fate. There will be no mercy when I do,"

Everyone waited. Donovan slowly nodded, meeting her gaze. "Alright. That's fine,"

Grace turned, brushing past the other heroes as she left the pool. Babi glared at him, then did the same. She-Joker frowned and flipped out of the water, landing neatly on the side. She walked around the edge. Seth glanced at Donovan, then shook his head and followed Grace. Justin was the last to go. His expression was saddened. Sighing, and without looking at Donovan, he too turned and left.

Reqart looked between the two groups, conflicted. Donovan gestured. "Go with them Reqart if you want, I'll be out shortly," The boy looked like he hated what had transpired, quickly turning and swimming away. Donovan watched everyone leave, until he was alone with Lyra.

"They are not your friends," she said, her tone icy. Donovan didn't respond. He turned, lifting himself out of the waters. He straightened up in front of Lyra. She smiled, moving in to kiss him. Donovan moved his head, then walked past her.

After the servants dried him, Donovan dressed himself in dark gray clothing with a ruffled collar. As he stood in front of the mirror, the young man briefly touched his cheek, the brand still raw. He glanced around for another mask. There were none in the room, prompting Donovan to leave.

Lyra and the other masters waited for him as he emerged from his chambers, following the young man as he walked through the palace. "Master," Tokaroaka said, hastening to keep up with Donovan's pace. "The refugees are returning to the city, and many are angered,"

"There may be a riot," Fangson said, his voice gruff.

Donovan listened, his mind clearing as his thoughts drifted to Mark. "Under no circumstances are you to allow them to enter the palace. Use whatever soldiers we have left to keep the peace,"

"Do you wish to hear our losses?" Fangson said. The blind lizard's tail swept behind him as his claws clacked on the floor.

The group emerged into the main hall of the palace. The heroes were all gathered, both Justin and Babi speaking with Grace. They were all dressed in new clothing, likely provided by the servants. Princess Esymia was also present, as was Ilizabessa and Prince Galeon. "No," Donovan said. "It doesn't matter. I just need to meet with the elves from Agasul and get moving again,"

Princess Esymia took a step forward, her hands clasped in front of her. "King Donovahn," The heroes paused their talking, all turning to watch her. The Guardian seemed undaunted. "You have survived the battle I see,"

"I have," Donovan said. He continued walking towards the entrance to the palace.

"You have suffered many losses. Did you notice that the line of Tazham did nothing to assist you?"

Donovan paused. He glanced over his shoulder at the princess, who cast her gaze down to the floor. She acted as if she were simply commenting on the weather. "Get to the point," He said, his voice low.

"The reason you suffered so in the battle was because those in Agasul decided to await the outcome. They are not your allies, they would have turned on you in a moment if you had lost,"

"Yes," Donovan said, slowly. "That is…certainly the impression they gave off,"

Princess Esymia slowly lifted her eyes to meet his. "And how will you reward their scheming?"

Donovan turned fully to face her, his eyes narrowed. "Do you not like them? Why are you telling me this?"

"Because they will likely fill your ears with praise for defeating the other invaders. They will promise you all manner of titles and treasure. Do not trust them. They will kill you in an instant if they think you are weak,"

Silence gripped the hall. Finally Donovan nodded. "Very well. Would you like to accompany us to the city?"

Princess Ilizabessa and Prince Galeon started forward, coming to either side of Esymia. The Guardian shared a look with both of them, then turned back to Donovan and nodded. "We will come,"

Donovan glanced over to Grace and the other heroes. "And you guys? Are you coming as well?"

"Yeah," Justin said. "We're coming,"

Reqart peered out from behind Babi, smiling and waving at Donovan. The young man nodded. "Hayume, bring with us a small detachment of knights and Montre. Fangson, stay here with our remaining forces and protect the city. Princess Ninja, you can come as well,"

The blind Montre bowed. "It will be as you say my king,"

"Master," Tokaroaka began.

"Wait here," Donovan said. "You and the other masters are in charge with Fangson while we meet with the elves," Without another word, Donovan made for the entrance to the palace. The heroes, as well as the Guardian royalty, silently followed.

The group left the city in a transport, which landed in front of Agasul's walls. Donovan and the others disembarked in silence and walked across the field towards one of the entrances. The city rose up before them. There were at least three raised sections, each one as wide and tall as Theemth. The upper levels were wrapped in walls, with towers and buildings rising up out of them like sky-scrapers. The rest of the city poked up from behind the main walls encircling the massive metropolitan.

Airships hovered above the city. One of them caught Donovan's attention. It was the largest one he had ever seen, and appeared to be made of white stone. It was oblong, the middle thick with circular rings and the ends tapering out into rounded points.

Once they reached a gate as tall as Donovan's old floating castle, they stopped. The doors were metal and etched with symbols. The entrance towered over them, tiny black figures visible at the top. The group waited until a great groaning sound echoed from the gate. One of the doors opened slightly, the groan echoing across the plain.

Several of the pale Guardians emerged. They were dressed in the same flowing robes the delegation had worn, as well as the wide-brimmed headdresses. Most of them stopped immediately, save one, who approached and bowed his head.

"Greetings King Donovahn," The speaker said, opening his arms wide. "Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your victory,"

"Take me to your rulers," Donovan said, his voice quiet.

The speaker smiled, his pointed teeth gleaming. "I'm afraid we cannot allow that at the moment, for we are recovering from the battle. But rest assured as soon as we are ready, you and all your court will receive the grandest feast within our walls, as well as a meeting with the king and queen of the line of Tahzam. They will wish to thank you for driving back the army of defilers. In the meantime, they have given me full authority to assist you in whatever you may need to replenish yourselves in Theemoth,"

Donovan sensed Princess Esymia shifting behind him. He narrowed his eyes at the speaker. "I don't have time for that. We need someone in your city to heal one of our friends. Now."

"Yes…" The speaker said, tilting his head, as if grieved. "I have been told that one of yours is afflicted with the Dalteen Blood Curse. That is…most unfortunate. I wish that we could help in such a matter, but unfortunately, there are none in Agasul who could even begin to understand the curse,"

"Then where is someone who can," Donovan said, his tone growing louder, as well as hard.

The speaker turned to those behind him, as if consulting them. No words were spoken however, and the Guardian faced Donovan again. "Where indeed great King…certainly none of the Guardians. Though…perhaps…"

Donovan waited, though the speaker simply put a sleeve to his mouth, covering it. "Don't test me elf. Speak before I get angry,"

The speaker lowered his sleeve, a wide grin on his face. "There is only one I can think of, and that would be the great spirit Liloth. Only he has such power,"

Nobody spoke. The wind drifted past them, tugging on everyone's clothes. Grace moved, and Donovan sensed Princess Esymia about to step forward as well. Before either of them could however, Donovan spoke. "Where is he,"

The speaker's grin shrank slightly. "Ahhh, the great spirit resides in the pit known as Ortahem, a place of mystery and power. There is no doubt you will be unable to bring your army, as the lands are treacherous and difficult to navigate. Few even of the Guardians have entered and returned to tell the tale,"

Donovan heard Princess Esymia inhale sharply. His eyes drifted up to the sky, where the Tazham airships waited. "We'll go there then," He pointed at the largest. "And we'll be taking that,"

The speaker recoiled, frowning while showing his teeth. "Ah…I'm afraid we cannot give you the great warship Tangriel, as it is needed for-"

"You will give it," Donovan said. "And maybe I won't destroy your pathetic city as I did the adventurer guilds. That is my price, for offending me by not inviting me inside. If you don't like it, I'll start my slaughter with you,"

The speaker froze, then his frown slowly turned to a smile. "Surely you would not attack ones such as-"

"Princess Ninja," Donovan said. The lumbering form of the Rook shot forward, scooping the speaker up by the neck. She dangled him in the air, his feet kicking. Donovan turned his gaze to the other Guardians standing by the gate. "Bring me that ship. Now."

They talked among themselves in hushed whispers as the speaker chocked in Princess Ninja's grasp. "Donovan," Grace said, taking a step forward.

"This is for Mark," He said, not bothering to turn. "You know how little time he has, and I'm tired of these assholes,"

One of the guardians turned and bowed his head towards Donovan. "You may have the ship,"

Princess Ninja released the speaker, who fell in a heap on the ground. He gasped for air as the others helped him up. "I'm leaving Theemoth here," Donovan said, turning away. "Do not mess with my city, and they will not mess with you. I expect that ship to be at my palace by the time I return, with a skeleton crew. If you're late, the next battle begins here,"

Donovan passed by his friends, not bothering to meet their gazes. Princess Ninja followed, then the Guardian royalty fell into step behind her. Finally he heard the heroes leaving as well.

As the transport returned towards Theemoth, Donovan thought carefully. He would be unable to bring most of his forces, which was probably for the best. He would need his armies to keep the peace in his city, and the speaker had made it clear the next stage of the journey would not be easy. Donovan communicated he thoughts to the others.

"Well," Justin said, putting a hand to his chin. "Seems easy enough then. We take the ship further into Eo and try and find this Liloth spirit,"

"I'm taking command from here," Grace said, her tone making it clear she wasn't asking. "There will be no more cruelty from you as we travel,"

Donovan tilted his head, then nodded. "Very well," The others seemed quiet. Not even She-Joker commented. In fact, she hadn't spoke much at all since the battle. Donovan sensed a heaviness in the air that would be hard to dispel.

Once back above the palace, they all disembarked down a lowered ramp. Donovan paused, sounds drifting up towards him. They were angry cries, emanating from the lower levels. He guessed the refugees had all returned, and were now free of his magic. Donovan continued down the ramp, where his masters and Lyra waited.

"Tokaroaka," He said. "You and Hayume will accompany us on a new ship we're getting soon. Bring your best sorcerers and knights,"

"I told you I was in charge," Grace said, her tone curt.

"You are, but allow me to choose which of my soldiers accompany us," He waited for Grace to respond, but she simply narrowed her eyes and walked away. The other heroes followed. Donovan turned back to his masters. "Fangson, you and Belok will stay here and protect the city," He approached Tokaroaka, lowering his voice. "Bring Mark, but I want the crystal weapon loaded as well. We may need it,"

Tokaroaka nodded his mask. "It will be done master,"

A shadow fell over the palace. Donovan and the others looked up to see the massive Guardian ship slowly hovering over Theemoth. It lowered, then a circular platform descended on rails. It touched down on the street, revealing three Tazham Guardians in what looked like coral-shell armor.

"Go," Donovan said, nodding to his masters. "You have your orders,"

Twenty minutes later, the Order Master Hayume, as well as Tokaroaka, loaded groups of knights and sorcerers onto the ship. The platform raised and lowered as the warriors boarded. Donovan watched with Lyra and Reqart to the side. A ways away from them, Grace and the other heroes did the same.

Tokaroaka was among the last to approach the platform. He guided sorcerers as they carried Mark and the crystal he rested in. Behind them, three large carts pulled the floating castle's detached weapon. Reqart slowly approached, standing next to the procession of sorcerers and watching as they lifted his father onto the platform.

"What is that," Grace said, coming over to Donovan. She nodded at the crystal weapon.

Donovan didn't bother turning to her, instead gazing at the platform as it bore the sorcerers and Mark up towards the ship. "Tell me," He said, his voice quiet. "Do you think you can fight Liloth, if it comes to it?"

"If it comes to fighting, then I will fight," Grace said. "And win,"

Donovan slowly nodded. "Good, because if you don't, that weapon may be our only backup,"

He felt Grace stiffen next to him, raising to her full height. "Watch yourself Donovan, because I certainly will be. One slip up, and you won't live to see whether I can defeat Liloth," Lyra began to say something, but Grace turned on her. "Don't think you won't share the same fate as your king," With that, the hero gestured for her companions to follow her. They approached the platform as it lowered back down to the street. Grace turned to Reqart. "Come on, ride with us,"

"But-"

"Reqart," Grace said, fixing him with a stern gaze. The boy seemed torn, then bowed his head and followed her up onto the platform.

"She dares…" Lyra said, wearing a hateful expression.

"Don't pay any attention to her," Donovan said, feeling tired. He could still hear angry shouts drifting up from the lower levels of the city. Princess Ninja approached behind them, as did Tokaroaka and Master Hayume. They all watched as the platform raised up again into the Guardian ship. When it lowered, they approached.

They shared it with the large crystal weapon. Donovan gazed out at his other Masters, who waited in the street. "I'll be back," He said, then the platform started up.

Theemoth stretched out before Donovan as the platform rose into the sky. He could make out the surviving refugees in the lower levels of the city, as well as his own soldiers. There were certainly less of both groups. He turned away as the platform was enveloped by the ship.

The interior they entered was dark and long, covering almost the entire lower half of the ship. Donovan got off, following Grace and the others as they walked with Tazham crew members towards a curved entry. A winding staircase led up to a circular chamber with massive windows. In the center was an array of controls that twisted down from the ceiling. Tokaroaka's sorcerers stood with the Guardians among them. One of the crew members, wearing an elaborate headdress and long, flowing robes, turned and faced Donovan as he neared.

"We are ready to depart," He said, bowing his head low.

"Then do so," Grace said, walking forward. "I will be leading this expedition, so you will direct all questions to me,"

The Guardian nodded. "Very well," He signaled at the crew members, who began working the controls. The ship echoed with locking sounds and a distant whine. The sky outside the windows shifted, then the vessel moved forward.

Chairs bloomed up from the floor, solidifying with high backs. Without a word everyone made their way towards them, settling down on their hard surfaces. An awkward silence descended as the crew continued to work the controls.

"So," Justin said, clearing his throat. He shifted in his chair to look at Princess Esymia. "Any idea what we might find in this pit place?"

Princess Esymia stared straight ahead at the wide view port. Ilizebessa and Prince Galeon sat to the side of her. "No," Esymia said. "As the Tazham envoy said, few travel into Ortahem, and even fewer return. It is a place of madness, where true magic runs wild, and the Ancient Ones slumber," She paused, taking a deep breath. "If Liloth holds my sister there, it will be difficult to retrieve her,"

"Do you think Gwelenain is there?" Babi said, leaning forward in her chair.

"There is no way to know," Princess Esymia said. She glanced at the crystal holding Mark. It rested near the wall, surrounded by sorcerers. "I would not trust the Tazham in the slightest, but they speak truly when they say Liloth could heal Marcus. It is only a matter of if the spirit can be convinced to do so, as well as telling us where my sister is held,"

"He'll tell us," Grace said, leaning back in her chair and resting her arms on the sides. "If he doesn't, we'll drag the answers from him by force,"

The ship continued through the air, fading sunlight casting its rays through the windows. Reqart grew restless in his chair, finally standing. He walked towards the front viewport. Donovan rose as well. He couldn't say why, but he felt a need to follow the boy. He heard Lyra do the same behind him.

"Babi," Grace said, her tone low. "Stay close to Reqart,"

Donovan reached the window with his nephew. They both stood and watched as a massive forest passed underneath the ship. Strange structures rose out of it. They appeared to be stone, with moss growing on the sides. They curved around into spirals, and on their tips, thousands of vines trailed down. Flowers bloomed throughout them, forming a cascade of color.

Lyra came up beside Donovan, gazing out with him. "It is beautiful, my king,"

"Hm,"

She shifted closer to him, putting a hand to his arm as she rested her chin on his shoulder. She lowered her voice to a whisper as Babi came up behind Reqart. "We will destroy it all, you and I,"

Donovan didn't respond. Reqart looked up at him, his face filled with emotion. "Uncle…? Do you really think we can save my father and mother?"

Babi stared over Reqart's head at Donovan, her expression guarded. He met her gaze, holding it for a moment before looking back down at the boy. He took Reqart's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"When we first met, I told you I would save them," Donovan glanced out towards the viewport, a cold emotion overtaking him. The lands of Eo stretched out before the ship, passing quickly underneath. "And one way or another Reqart, I promise I will. Whatever it takes, whatever I have to do…I will save them. I'll save all of us,"

Last edited:
I mean, while we can empathize with Don... He literally just sacrificed who knows how many lives. She's not at all in the wrong. Tag says villain protagonist for a reason.

I mean, while we can empathize with Don... He literally just sacrificed who knows how many lives. She's not at all in the wrong. Tag says villain protagonist for a reason.

To be fair, Grace did choose to meet a million mercenaries who had already razed a city without provocation for an honorable pre-battle posturing session outside the walls of Theemoth and the army of Vashn with a posse that included a mentally and emotionally unstable Anti-Hero and King who had just been tortured. She knew the leaders of that army and was aware they were untrustworthy. She may not have the blood on her hands but she made an epic bad call.

Grace is an ahole. Yes we get it, Don did some bad stuff, but you dont have to be such a butt about it.
Though she is part of the hero side of the story and Don is the villain, so theres that.

Actually, the more I think about it, this looks like a deliberate bad call. The facts as I understand them:

1) Grace has on multiple occasions spared, saved, or ordered others to rescue Donovon.
2) Donovon has on multiple occasion done sufficient evil to warrant execution.
3) Grace appears to be a holy warrior with some sort of vow of justice.
4) Grace has a mostly unrequited love for Mark and Mark is currently on his deathbed after pursuing another woman.
5) Grace has spent the last ten years embroiled in war and her comrades have all shown signs of war fatigue, she is likely the same.
6) Grace has spent the last ten years embroiled in war and appears to be losing that war.
7) Grace has spent the last ten years embroiled in war and likely has the competence to realize the mercenaries were not going to parlay honorably.

Based on these facts, it seems highly likely this was a suicide attempt. If so it would allow her to escape her duty in executing Donovon without dishonoring herself or failing her commitments as a Hero-Saint, it would prevent her from seeing Mark die or successfully end up in the arms of another woman, it would possibly shame Donovon into acting like a real hero, and let her finally stop having to fight a war she was completely sick of.

The only problem with this theory is that it seems unlikely that she would take Babi , Seth, and Justin with her in a suicide attempt.

Yeah, Grace basically boxed Don into a corner by having them parlay like that. After they finish with Eo, they still have to deal with the Demon King, who'd shown to have several heroes or hero tier warriors that Don just can't match on his own. He can replenish his army somewhat, but 4 active heroes isn't something that can be sacrificed. In exchange for a ton of peasants? While morally terrible, tactically it was the right call. And if they kill the Demon King, may actually save more lives in the long run.
Even though shes been fighting for 10 years, I highly doubt Grace has made even mild calculus of war decisions, much less one of this scale.

Quick update, I'm still in the process of traveling, so I'll try post the final episode tonight, but more than likely it will be tomorrow around the afternoon when I'm finally settled in. I'll edit any updates into this post here just in case things change.

Back